World Group 1st Round (February 9-11, 2007) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

World Group 1st Round (February 9-11, 2007)

smucav
07-24-2006, 04:30 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_21560_original.PDFDavis Cup draw to be held in Rome

The ITF announces that the draw for the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas will be held in Rome on Thursday 28 September at 12:00 noon local time. The venue for the draw will be confirmed shortly. Seedings will be based on the ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking of 25 September following the World Group semifinals and Play-off ties on 22-24 September.

nitsansh
09-25-2006, 02:28 PM
The ITF announces that the draw for the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas will be held in Rome at the Foro Italico on Thursday 28 September at 12:00 noon local time (10:00 GMT).

You will be able to follow the draw live on www.daviscup.com, both via a text article updated in real time, and LIVE on Davis Cup Radio.

Seedings will be based on the ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking following the World Group semifinals and Play-off ties on 22-24 September. The new Ranking cannot be run, and therefore seedings determined, until the Brazil v Sweden Play-off tie is concluded on Monday. The Ranking will be published on Daviscup.com either on Monday night or Tuesday morning UK time.

smucav
09-25-2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?id=1379825 Sep 2006
2007 Davis Cup draw to be held in Rome

The ITF announces that the draw for the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas will be held in Rome at the Foro Italico on Thursday 28 September at 12:00 noon local time (10:00 GMT).

You will be able to follow the draw live here on www.daviscup.com, both via a text article updated in real time, and LIVE on Davis Cup Radio.

Russia and Argentina will top the seedings for the World Group. According to the Davis Cup Regulations, the two finalist nations are seeded No. 1 and No. 2 in the World Group for the following year (the higher-ranked being No. 1), and will be drawn in opposite halves of the draw. Seeds 3-8 are in accordance with the latest Davis Cup Nations Ranking.

Croatia retains its No. 1 position on the new ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking, ahead of 2006 finalists Russia and Argentina.

Seedings for the Zonal Group I and Group II competitions will also be based on the latest Davis Cup Nations Ranking.

SEEDS FOR 2007 WORLD GROUP DRAW:

1. Russia
2. Argentina
3. Croatia
4. Spain
5. Australia
6. USA
7. France
8. Belarus

stratros
09-25-2006, 06:40 PM
this is just unbelievable unfair, belarus seeded¡¡¡¡¡¡ you've got to be kidding me

what the hell does the Davis Cup Committee have in its mind????

Chile is much better than belarus, there is no comparison

it could be a match between chile and argentina in first round¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

no way man, i wanna know who wins what with this

keqtqiadv
09-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Not in DC ranks :p

+alonso
09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
:scared:

Praying for a nice draw

+alonso
09-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, Belarus has won more ties than Chile had! :shrug: That's why they are better than Chile

shotgun
09-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Belarus seeded. :lol: They're probably the worst team in the World Group.

Switzerland (if Federer plays), Czech Republic and Chile will be dangerous floaters.

nitsansh
09-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Seeds for Group 1:

Europe/Africa:
Slovak Rep.
Netherlands
Serbia
Italy

Asia/Oceania:
Thailand
Korea Rep.
India
Japan

America:
Mexico
Brazil

nitsansh
09-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Seeds for group 2:

Europe/Africa:
Morrocco
Hungary
Ukraine
Finland
Bulgaria
Poland
Slovenia
Algeria

Asia/Oceania:
Pakistan
Indonesia
New Zealand
Kuwait

America:
Ecuador
Paraguay
Dominican Rep.
Uruguay

RickDaStick
09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Im sad that Croatia cant draw USA in the 1st round. I wanted to see another whooping, this time SPLIT style

nitsansh
09-25-2006, 10:26 PM
this is just unbelievable unfair, belarus seeded¡¡¡¡¡¡ you've got to be kidding me

what the hell does the Davis Cup Committee have in its mind????

No conparison? Let's see...

Belarus activity:
Date Opponent Score Host Surface Group Round
09 Apr 2006 Australia 0-5 AUS Hard - Outdoor WG Quarterfinal
12 Feb 2006 Spain 4-1 BLR Carpet - Indoor WG 1st Round
25 Sep 2005 Canada 3-2 CAN Hard - Outdoor WG PO 1st Round
06 Mar 2005 Romania 2-3 ROM Clay - Indoor WG 1st Round
26 Sep 2004 USA 0-4 USA Hard - Outdoor WG Semifinal
11 Apr 2004 Argentina 5-0 BLR Carpet - Indoor WG Quarterfinal
08 Feb 2004 Russia 3-2 BLR Carpet - Indoor WG 1st Round
21 Sep 2003 Germany 3-2 GER Clay - Outdoor WG PO 1st Round
06 Apr 2003 Zimbabwe 4-1 BLR Carpet - Indoor EA G1 Quarterfinal
09 Feb 2003 Israel 3-2 BLR Carpet - Indoor EA G1 1st Round

Chile activity:
Date Opponent Score Host Surface Group Round
09 Apr 2006 USA 2-3 USA Grass - Outdoor WG Quarterfinal
12 Feb 2006 Slovak Republic 4-1 CHI Clay - Outdoor WG 1st Round
25 Sep 2005 Pakistan 5-0 CHI Clay - Outdoor WG PO 1st Round
06 Mar 2005 Russia 1-4 RUS Carpet - Indoor WG 1st Round
26 Sep 2004 Japan 5-0 CHI Clay - Outdoor WG PO 1st Round
11 Apr 2004 Ecuador 5-0 CHI Clay - Outdoor AM G1 Semifinal
08 Feb 2004 Peru 5-0 PER Clay - Outdoor AM G1 1st Round
13 Jul 2003 Venezuela 3-2 VEN Hard - Outdoor AMN G1 PO 1st Round
09 Feb 2003 Ecuador 2-3 ECU Clay - Outdoor AMN G1 1st Round

nitsansh
09-25-2006, 10:29 PM
The record shows...

Belarus beat 4 WG opponents in last 4 years, Chile has none.

NyGeL
09-26-2006, 01:37 AM
I would like a 1st Round against Austria, Switzerland, Romania or Chile :)

Foosimoo
09-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Praying for a good draw for Belgium. :scared: Maybe USA so Ollie can destroy Roddick. :devil:

ys
09-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Please, no Chile for Russia. We can handle pretty much anything else, but travelling to Chile the next week after AO would be asking too much..

Hendu
09-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Please, no Chile for Russia. We can handle pretty much anything else, but travelling to Chile the next week after AO would be asking too much..

You should be more worried with Switzerland. They would make the Russians play on grass you know...

Hendu
09-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I would like a 1st Round against Austria, Switzerland, Romania or Chile :)

Chile or Switzerland? :eek:

No thanks.

With Chile it would be played in Buenos Aires, but they are very dangerous on clay.

With Switzerland, the home advantage would have to be decided by dropping a coin... with Federer playing, it would be very tough on grass and on clay).
It would be great to see Federer in Buenos Aires, but I hope we are luckier with the draw.

Germany would also be hard to beat in their home.

I hope we get to play against Austria or Romania.

Against Czech Republic and Sweeden we would also play as visitors, but they are not as tough as the others.

The good thing is that if we get to second round, we will have home court advantage over most of the seeded countries:

USA
Spain
Croatia
Russia
Belarus

Only Australia and France as visitors.

:)

ys
09-27-2006, 04:11 AM
You should be more worried with Switzerland. They would make the Russians play on grass you know...

In February? :lol:

ChinoRios4Ever
09-27-2006, 04:37 AM
FOR CHILE: PLEASE ARGENTINA IN BUENOS AIRES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
NALBY, GATO AND MAGO HAS FEÑA'S NUMBER
CALLERI, NALBI, CHELA, GATO AND A POOR CORIA COULD BEAT EASILY OUR DOUBLE OLYMPIC CHAMP
CAÑAS IS BACK..... PLEASE THE "CHES" NOOOOOOO
WITH LUCKY WE CAN PICK A COUPLE OF SETS IN THE DOUBLES, BUT NALBI-GORDO IS A GREAT TEAM AND WITH ALL THAT "FOOTBALL HINCHADA" IT WILL IMPOSIBLE TO BEAT

i think we have better chances at spain, at croatia, at france or vs russia

i hope usa, belarus or australia at home, but this can be only a dream

DC DRAW MASTERS gave us so many presents in the past (Playoffs at home vs Japan and Pakistan, and this year Slovakia at home), i hope only a good 1st rd tie

vs USA, Australia or Russia at home
vs Croatia, France, Spain or Belarus LOTTERY
vs Argentina VISITORS NOOOOOO!!!! PLEASE NO!

VAMOS CHILEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hendu
09-27-2006, 04:37 AM
The Australians have played on grass in winter... but Switzerland is much colder.

Its impossible, isn't it?

ChinoRios4Ever
09-27-2006, 04:47 AM
grass in switzerland?????
why not
federer is the king of grass
and george bastl bt sampras at wimbledon

Sommarsverige
09-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Does anyone know when the 1st DC round in 2007 will be?

Björki
09-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Sommar are you thinking about going if SWE plays at home? (I'd love to go) The first round should be in February but I dont know the date yet.

Action Jackson
09-27-2006, 09:35 AM

Well it will be indoor grass and usually in Switzerland they smoke a lot of indoor grass.

Sommarsverige
09-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Sommar are you thinking about going if SWE plays at home? (I'd love to go) The first round should be in February but I dont know the date yet.

Yes, I am definitely thinking about it :) I would even consider to go to Spain if the Swedes will get them in the draw, but I really don´t hope this is going to happen...

smucav
09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Seedings for 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/DC_6651_original.PDF

2007 World Group - choice of ground
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/DC_6652_original.PDF

2007 Zonal Group I - choice of ground
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/DC_6654_original.PDF

2007 Zonal Group II - choice of ground
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/DC_6655_original.PDF

smucav
09-27-2006, 04:30 PM
2007 Dates

9-11 February: World Group 1st Round
6-8 April: World Group Quarterfinals
20-22 July: Group I and II Zonal ties
21-23 September: World Group Semifinals/World Group Play-offs
30 November-2 December: World Group Final

Björki
09-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Yes, I am definitely thinking about it :) I would even consider to go to Spain if the Swedes will get them in the draw, but I really don´t hope this is going to happen...
lets talk about it tomorrow :D

NyGeL
09-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Chile or Switzerland? :eek:

I would love to have Federer playing in Buenos Aires. Also he might not come (I still don't know why he didn't play against Australia) if, for ex. Nalbandian doesn't play (I think that if we win DC this year, Nalbo might not play next year).

and well, Chile will be a "superclasico", and I think we can beat them 5-0 at home.

JMG
09-27-2006, 11:47 PM
I hope we get Argentina. :D

+alonso
09-28-2006, 04:18 AM
and well, Chile will be a "superclasico", and I think we can beat them 5-0 at home.

:yawn:

---

Anyway, the best of the luck to Chile! VAMOS POR FAVOR! :bounce:

Hendu
09-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Russia (s)
Chile (c)

France (s) (c)
Romania

Croatia (s)
Germany (c)

Australia (s)
Belgium (c)

Czech Republic (c)
USA (s)

Switzerland (c)
Spain (s)

Sweden
Belarus (s) (c) *

Austria (c) *
Argentina (s)

Seeded (s)
Choice of Ground (c)
Choice of ground decided by lot *

http://www.daviscup.com/results/index.asp (Davis Cup Drawsheet)

I like this DRAW!!!!!! :D

Generator
09-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I wonder what surface Austria will choose. The media in Argentina says hard, but I'm betting they'll use an indoor grass court. Otherwise they don't stand a chance.

NyGeL
09-28-2006, 04:15 PM
indoor grass??? lol

Austria will probably choose Carpet. But I think they have no chance in any surface.

2nd Round against Belarus at home would be nice and very easy.

nice draw for us :)

shotgun
09-28-2006, 04:18 PM

Looks like they didn't hear you. :D

shotgun
09-28-2006, 04:21 PM
It won't make a difference if Austria chooses carpet or grass. Their players are not exactly demons on these surfaces. They will probably choose hardcourt, and they will lose anyway.

On the other hand, an away tie against Sweden on the second round could prove very difficult for Argentina if ToJo or Pim-Pim recover their form.

Hendu
09-28-2006, 04:23 PM
indoor grass??? lol

Austria will probably choose Carpet. But I think they have no chance in any surface.

2nd Round against Belarus at home would be nice and very easy.

nice draw for us :)

Favorable draw, as expected.

Austria (away) in the first round.

Hopefully Belarus (at home), maybe Sweden (away) in second round.

I think USA (at home) or Switzerland (decided by lot) in Semis.

Hendu
09-28-2006, 04:24 PM
It won't make a difference if Austria chooses carpet or grass. Their players are not exactly demons on these surfaces. They will probably choose hardcourt, and they will lose anyway.

On the other hand, an away tie against Sweden on the second round could prove very difficult for Argentina if ToJo or Pim-Pim recover their form.

They will have to beat Mirnyi in Minsk first. ;)

shotgun
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Czech Republic away will be tough for the Americans. I don't see any American player defeating Berdych on clay.

Same for Australia against Belgium. If Hewitt doesn't play, Australia pretty much doesn't have a chance.

shotgun
09-28-2006, 04:30 PM
They will have to beat Mirnyi in Minsk first. ;)

Indoor conditions could suit the Swedes very well. The problem in Minsk is the surface, very fast and irregular. Only Mirnyi and Voltchkov are used to playing there.

Lenka
09-28-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't like USA against Czech Republic :( but if it is played on clay and Stepanek is playing then we have a chance I think

Hendu
09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Indoor conditions could suit the Swedes very well. The problem in Minsk is the surface, very fast and irregular. Only Mirnyi and Voltchkov are used to playing there.

The fastest court on earth.

Hendu
09-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Czech Republic away will be tough for the Americans. I don't see any American player defeating Berdych on clay.

Same for Australia against Belgium. If Hewitt doesn't play, Australia pretty much doesn't have a chance.

USA doesn't need to defeat Berdych... just Zib, and the doubles match with the Bryans.

It won't be easy for them, but I think they will win.

Czech Republic lost to Germany on clay, at home, last year.

Generator
09-28-2006, 04:40 PM

I think it all depends on whether Voltchkov plays or not. There were rumours about his supposedly imminent retirement, so I'm not sure.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:42 PM
USA doesn't need to defeat Berdych... just Zib, and the doubles match with the Bryans.

It won't be easy for them, but I think they will win.

Czech Republic lost to Germany on clay, at home, last year.

My friend you have missed it. They have got rid of Cyril Suk as captain and that means Stepanek will be available.

Even Jiri Novak at this stage wouldn't be threatened by the Americans on clay.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
I think it all depends on whether Voltchkov plays or not. There were rumours about his supposedly imminent retirement, so I'm not sure.

Söderling loves a roof and enjoys fast surfaces. The Swedes are probably the one team who wouldn't be disappointed about playing on the Minsk ice rink.

Lenka
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
I just want to say that nobody knows yet who will play for Czech Republic, Stepanek maybe..if he's not injured, don't know who will be the third (event. fourth player) but Novak not for sure.

Nadie
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
The fastest court on earth.

:haha: :yeah:

He said he's going to play DC :shrug:

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:55 PM
I just want to say that nobody knows yet who will play for Czech Republic, Stepanek maybe..if he's not injured, don't know who will be the third (event. fourth player) but Novak not for sure.

Stepanek will be available if he is fit. He doesn't have problems with Navratil only with Suk, now Suk has gone, you have got rid of the problem.

They could choose a lot of people, but as long as they have Berdych and Stepanek, then they could easily use Hajek, Novak, Dlouhy or others to make up the last 2 members.

LaTenista
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
I can't wait for Nadal vs Federer (if Roger plays).

Lenka
09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah I know, when Suk is out Stepanek can play. So when we have Berdych and Stepanek available, then we have a lot of other players to join them, maybe Navratil will use again the option with one professional doubles player (Damm or someone else)...but Novak won't play..this is his last season, last Davis Cup :sad:

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Navratil could use Dlouhy, but 1 good doubles player might be enough and I don't think it would be good to use both Berdych and Stepanek as a 2 man team.

Hendu
09-28-2006, 05:33 PM
My friend you have missed it.

Well, that is not a surprise, is it?

:p

They have got rid of Cyril Suk as captain and that means Stepanek will be available. Even Jiri Novak at this stage wouldn't be threatened by the Americans on clay.

Good old Novak wouldn't be threatened?

I don't know about that.

With Stepanek in the team, well... it will be more difficult for the Americans.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Good old Novak wouldn't be threatened?

I don't know about that.

With Stepanek in the team, well... it will be more difficult for the Americans.

Novak now would still beat Roddick or Blake on clay.

If the Czechs bring the strongest side, I don't see them losing. If Dlouhy and Jiri Vanek are in singles, then things change.

Hendu
09-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Novak now would still beat Roddick or Blake on clay.

If the Czechs bring the strongest side, I don't see them losing. If Dlouhy and Jiri Vanek are in singles, then things change.

Yes, with Stepanek in the team I don't see the Americans winning either.

Hendu
09-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Then, I see Switzerland in semis. If Federer plays, of course.

ChinoRios4Ever
09-28-2006, 05:51 PM
nice draw
it's like a dream playing the future DC champs at home

but it's hard to see chile win the tie

shotgun
09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Chile-Russia should be a very close tie. I imagine some of the Russians won't be too thrilled to make the trip to Chile after the Australian Open. They may as well show up with an incomplete side (especially if they win the DC this year) and make things easier for the Chileans.

zicofirol
09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
I dont now why the Czech are worried, on Clay they can put almost anyone in the top 125 and win, plus with Berdych and Stepanek or even Novak its a clear cut win for the Czech's, they can even win in doubles.

Chile got a tough 1st round draw but I think in Chile they can beat Russia.

Argentina has an easy first round match but the 2nd round in sweden on fast surface? Besides Nalbandian who else do they have that can beat Soderling on fast or johansson (is he still play DC?), worse if Joachim recovers form and is playing, and the doubles with Bjorkman on fast surface, that's tough.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Chile - Russia that is the tie of the 1st round. For the Chileans, just hope Massu or Gonzo don't get injured.

Andreev and Gonzo will be a funny match. Andreev will be in Bolivia trying to hit forehands, but the Russians got the short end here.

The Argentines will want Belarus to win and as for fast surface players Calleri can do well indoors and while Chucho's serve is quite good, he takes big swings at the ball and that will be tough for them. As always injuries are going to play a part.

fanancic
09-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Germany-croatia... It will be difficult for croatia but they can do it...

allero
09-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Argentina has an easy first round match but the 2nd round in sweden on fast surface? Besides Nalbandian who else do they have that can beat Soderling on fast or johansson (is he still play DC?), worse if Joachim recovers form and is playing, and the doubles with Bjorkman on fast surface, that's tough.
Cañas could be an option, but only with some hard court tournaments under his belt by then.
Calleri shouldn't be written off either after taking Ljubicic to 5 sets this year.

Tina222
09-28-2006, 07:20 PM
In the moment i heard about Spain would be playing agains Switzerland, i thought it was a joke. It´s unbelievable. Hopefully Nadal and Federer are playing. It would be great.

:) :)

Guybrush
09-28-2006, 08:13 PM
I cannot believe it. Croatia has lost ALL the draws for the tie against nations we never played before!

So we can play at home against (4):

AUSTRIA
FRANCE
SPAIN
USA

And we will play away if we meet (11):
ARGENTINA
AUSTRALIA
BELARUS
BELGIUM
CHILE
CZECH REPUBLIC
GERMANY
ROMANIA
RUSSIA
SWEDEN
SWITZERLAND

Good bye DC 2007, I'm waiting the draw for the 2008. :o

Brego
09-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Vamos Spain against Switzerland.:D

This will be very interesting if Fed decides to play (you know Rafa will):worship:

ae wowww
09-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Hopefully Rog can get me tix for GB Vs Netherlands :D Will be a good one!

Nando_L
09-28-2006, 09:35 PM
HOPP SCHWIIZ!!!
AJMO CROATIA!
DAVAI RUSSIA!
ALLEZ BELGIUM!

krakenzero
09-28-2006, 11:50 PM
CHILE - RUSSIA though match!:eek: In the slowest clay available

Friday
FERNANDO GONZALEZ - NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO
NICOLAS MASSU - MARAT SAFIN

Saturday
GONZALEZ/MASSU (or CAPDEVILLE/GARCIA) - SAFIN/ANDREEV (YOUHZNY)

Sunday
FERNANDO GONZALEZ - MARAT SAFIN
NICOLAS MASSU - NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO

And Federer - Nadal?? Berdych - Roddick??:worship:

*Viva Chile*
09-29-2006, 01:51 AM

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

you mean that Marat will recover the russian number 1 position from here to February??

It will be impossible if Gonzo and Nico won't play the doubles match if they are OK

JuanRodriguez
09-29-2006, 08:53 AM
The unofficial official "Belgium versus Australia" thread ;)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=87113

NyGeL
09-29-2006, 06:44 PM

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

I'm sure that if Russia wins DC, most of them are not going to travel to Chile.
but who knows, in 2003 after winning 2002 davis cup, they came to Buenos Aires to play QF with their complete team (Safin came, but couldn't play becouse of an injury).

Jadranka
09-29-2006, 09:15 PM
GOOD LUCK TO OUR CROATS :)

ljubicic_
09-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Croatia will win, i know it!:)

Jadranka
09-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Croatia will win, i know it!:)

right :o

Jimnik
10-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Here's how I see the first round:

Chile 3-2 Russia (clay)
This is the hardest tie to predict. Providing both teams have their best players, all the singles matches are pretty much 50-50. But Chile might have the edge in the doubles.

France 5-0 Romania (carpet)
No problem for France, no matter how many injuries France have to put up with. They can pick whatever surface they like.

Germany 2-3 Croatia (hard)
Germany has to be careful because the Croats are strong on almost every surface. Their best option would be to lay a fast US Open style hard court, not only for the benefit of Haas but also considering Ancic and Ljubicic's results in North America. It would also give Germany the option of playing Benjamin Becker, instead of the unreliable Kiefer. Ideally, they would also want to play the tie outdoors, but in February this might not be possible, and indeed this will probably be Germany's downfall.

Belgium 3-2 Australia (clay)
As usual, Australia will rely heavily on Hewitt. If he plays, it's conceivable they could win his 2 singles rubbers and the doubles, but it's a long-shot.

Czech Republic 3-2 USA (clay)
A very slow Moscow-style clay court will be welcoming the Americans, prefferably with as many pot-holes and bad bounces as possible. The Czechs will rely heavily on Radek Stepanek to finally make a Davis Cup appearance. The outcome of this tie is very simple: With Stepanek, Czechs win; Without Stepanek, Americans win.

Switzerland 3-2 Spain (carpet)
Same as the Aussies, Switzerland's hopes rely on one man. They'll want to lay either a carpet or a US Open style hard court, whichever suits Wawrinka more. Although it's unlikely Wawrinka will win a rubber, Federer could conceivably win all three of his rubbers.

Belarus 2-3 Sweden (carpet)
The battle of two aging teams. Mirnyi, Voltchkov, ToJo and Bjorkman have all seen better days although the youthful presence of Soderling will probably make the difference. If Joachim Johansson can recover in time, then it could be more emphatic for the Swedes.

Austria 1-4 Argentina (carpet)
A fast carpet court won't stop the Argentinians.

Checho
10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
The winner of Chile - Russia has an open draw to get the final.

In the other half of the draw, Switzerland and Czech Republic are the favourites.

The draw isn't nice at all for Argentina, to get the final we have to beat every body away.

Belarus won't beat Sweden!!!

dudi_fan
10-16-2006, 08:55 PM
GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND ISRAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PoderShileno
10-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Vamosss Chile¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

bjorn4tennis92
11-05-2006, 04:02 AM
gooooo croatia, and i would normally route for germany, but croatia is playing them so well i just hope its a good weekend for me. its a win-win situation.
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/590/36077821667ancic.jpg
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/556/36077819710schuettler.jpg

smucav
11-07-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.eurosport.com/football/davis-cup/2006/sport_sto1002949.shtmlFederer to pass on Davis Cup

Roger Federer will not play in Switzerland's first round 2007 Davis Cup match against Spain, thus preventing a possible showdown with Rafael Nadal, the Swiss tennis association have confirmed

The match will take place from the 9th to the 11th February, but Federer has said that he wants to devote all his attention to the ATP Tour during the first half of next season.

The world number one adopted a similar policy this year when he decided to skip Switzerland's first round defeat to Australia before joining up with the squad for their World Group relegation playoff victory over Serbia.

"He wants to concentrate on retaining his number one status and on defending his titles at important tournaments, including the Grand Slams," confirmed Swiss tennis spokesman Daniel Monnin.

"He also told us that winning the Davis Cup was too big a goal for him in the long term to treat it as a sideshow right now."

When Federer was absent against Australia, current world number 153 George Bastl replaced him in the singles matches, with Swiss number two Stanislas Wawrinka the other participant.

The Switzerland v Spain match had created great buzz amongst tennis fans because of the rivalry that has built up between Federer and Nadal over the last two seasons, with the Spaniard holding a 6-2 lifetime record over Federer.

Without Federer, the match will be played at the Palexpo Hall in Geneva, where the Swiss will elect to play on a fast court to try and unsettle the Spanish side which is loaded with clay court specialists.

Federer is currently in Shanghai preparing for the end of season Masters Cup which starts this weekend, and in China he could face Nadal, or another Spanish Davis Cup player Tommy Robredo, who both qualified for the end of season showdown.

Eurosport - Sean Fay - 07/11/2006 15:11

fanancic
11-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Come on Croatia!!

I hope that they will win their second title... They can do it even if it will be difficultp they have 2 players in the Top 10 now...:)

smucav
11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=16214&bannerregion=
Nadal Commits To Davis Cup
By Tennis Week
11/16/2006

Rafael Nadal has committed to playing in Spain's first-round Davis Cup tie against host Switzerland, February 9-11, but Roger Federer won't be on hand to play host to his second-ranked rival. While the top-ranked Federer has opted to sit out the opening-round tie, Nadal said he plans to play.

"It is going to be a difficult tie," Nadal said. "We will do our best to win because we lost in the first round of the last two years."

Though Nadal boasts a 7-1 singles record in Davis Cup competition and could be complemented by a Spanish squad that could include a trio of top 15 players in sixth-ranked Tommy Robredo and 14th-ranked David Ferrer, the two-time Roland Garros champion said Switzerland can still pose a threat on a fast indoor court at home despite the fact 30th-ranked Stanislas Wawrinka is the only Swiss man aside from Federer ranked inside the top 150.

"It's still a long way away and a lot can happen before then," Nadal said. "It's always harder to play away from home and against Switzerland it will be difficult. They will be at home and, even without Federer, they are a good team that plays well indoors and on a fast surface. I hope that we can win after losing in the opening round in the last two years." The winner of the Switzerland-Spain tie will face either the United States or the Czech Republic in the April 6-8 quarterfinal. Should the USA defeat the host Czech Republic in the first round, it would host either Switzerland or Spain in the quarterfinals.

Coop
11-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Go Go Go Germany & Switzerland!!

facundeto
11-20-2006, 08:44 PM
My predictions for Davis Cup 2007

- Top half:
The finalist on this side of the draw will be pretty much determined in the first round... and by only one tie... Russia at Chile. It will be tough for both teams, and the winner of this tie Will advance to the final. On this half, nobody but Chile can remotely match up against Russia. None of Russia's potential QF and SF opponents has the right set of conditions for beating them (team strength and choice of ground). Also, if Chile wins then they would face all potential QF and SF opponents at home, and Chile would be favored against them all.

- Bottom half:
This one is more tricky... a lot of teams have chances, but US, Spain, Argentina and Sweden have the greatest. Spain will have an easy 1st round at Switzerland without Federer. Then they could have a rough time if they have to visit the US in QF and Argentina in SF. But both US and Argentina don't have assured tickets to get there... the US could possibly stumble while visiting the Czech Republic (Berdych and Stepanek are unpredictable players), and Argentina could stumble in Austria or in Sweden (if the Swedes pull out a victory in Belarus). Should the US get over the Czech Republic, I'd favor them US to get to SF over Spain... Which brings us to the everpresent luck factor: the US would be doomed in SF if they have to visit Argentina, but could advance to the final if they instead have to visit Sweden. Sweden, on the other hand, could survive the Belarussian ice rink and then win at home against both Argentina and the US, but they will be doomed if they have to visit Spain in SF.

All in all, in the bottom half all teams are depending on other teams for help to make it to the final: US' chances are greatly influenced by whether Argentina makes it to SF. Argentina's chances are greatly influenced by whether Sweden survives in Belarus, and by whether the US survive the Czech (the US would then help remove Spain from Argentina's road). Spain's chances are greatly influenced by whether the Czech beat the US and by whether Sweden survives in Belarus (which could help remove Argentina from Spain's road). And Sweden's chances are greatly influenced by whether Spain reaches SF.

- Bottom line:
The 2007 winner will likely be one of those six teams, with the favored winner depending on the final matchups:
Chile at Argentina: Argentina
Russia at Argentina: Argentina
US at Chile: Chile
Russia at US: US
Chile at Spain: Spain
Spain at Russia: Russia
Chile at Sweden: Sweden
Russia at Sweden: Coin flip

fanancic
11-20-2006, 09:04 PM

- Top half:
The finalist on this side of the draw will be pretty much determined in the first round... and by only one tie... Russia at Chile. It will be tough for both teams, and the winner of this tie Will advance to the final. On this half, nobody but Chile can remotely match up against Russia. None of Russia's potential QF and SF opponents has the right set of conditions for beating them (team strength and choice of ground). Also, if Chile wins then they would face all potential QF and SF opponents at home, and Chile would be favored against them all.

- Bottom half:
This one is more tricky... a lot of teams have chances, but US, Spain, Argentina and Sweden have the greatest. Spain will have an easy 1st round at Switzerland without Federer. Then they could have a rough time if they have to visit the US in QF and Argentina in SF. But both US and Argentina don't have assured tickets to get there... the US could possibly stumble while visiting the Czech Republic (Berdych and Stepanek are unpredictable players), and Argentina could stumble in Austria or in Sweden (if the Swedes pull out a victory in Belarus). Should the US get over the Czech Republic, I'd favor them US to get to SF over Spain... Which brings us to the everpresent luck factor: the US would be doomed in SF if they have to visit Argentina, but could advance to the final if they instead have to visit Sweden. Sweden, on the other hand, could survive the Belarussian ice rink and then win at home against both Argentina and the US, but they will be doomed if they have to visit Spain in SF.

All in all, in the bottom half all teams are depending on other teams for help to make it to the final: US' chances are greatly influenced by whether Argentina makes it to SF. Argentina's chances are greatly influenced by whether Sweden survives in Belarus, and by whether the US survive the Czech (the US would then help remove Spain from Argentina's road). Spain's chances are greatly influenced by whether the Czech beat the US and by whether Sweden survives in Belarus (which could help remove Argentina from Spain's road). And Sweden's chances are greatly influenced by whether Spain reaches SF.

- Bottom line:
The 2007 winner will likely be one of those six teams, with the favored winner depending on the final matchups:
Chile at Argentina: Argentina
Russia at Argentina: Argentina
US at Chile: Chile
Russia at US: US
Chile at Spain: Spain
Spain at Russia: Russia
Chile at Sweden: Sweden
Russia at Sweden: Coin flip

What about Croatia? And France? The both teams can win this year I think

Clashcityrocker
11-20-2006, 09:15 PM
no they can't :p

fanancic
11-21-2006, 11:53 AM
no they can't :p

Ok sorry...:) They can win NEXT year!!:)

Truc
11-21-2006, 01:31 PM
France picked Taraflex for the first round against Romania (in Clermont-Ferrand).
http://www.fft.fr/filinfos/default.asp?ID=2223

Hendu
11-21-2006, 10:44 PM

- Top half:

If Chile plays against France, Croatia, Germany or Belgium the choice of ground would be decided by lot.

Davis Cup Rules and Regulations:

"8 Choice of Ground

Choice of ground shall be determined in the following sequence: -

(i) If the previous Tie between the two Nations was played on a neutral ground, choice shall be decided by lot. If this is not applicable, then
(ii) If the previous Tie between the two Nations was not played for any reason, choice shall be decided by lot. If this is not applicable, then
(iii) If one Nation has been entitled to choice for its Tie with another Nation in 1970 Competition, or in any later Competition, the latter shall have choice on the occasion of the next meeting with that Nation. If this is not applicable, then
(iv) Choice shall be decided by lot."

Checho
11-21-2006, 11:09 PM
If Chile plays against France, Croatia, Germany or Belgium the choice of ground would be decided by lot.

Davis Cup Rules and Regulations:

"8 Choice of Ground

Choice of ground shall be determined in the following sequence: -

(i) If the previous Tie between the two Nations was played on a neutral ground, choice shall be decided by lot. If this is not applicable, then
(ii) If the previous Tie between the two Nations was not played for any reason, choice shall be decided by lot. If this is not applicable, then
(iii) If one Nation has been entitled to choice for its Tie with another Nation in 1970 Competition, or in any later Competition, the latter shall have choice on the occasion of the next meeting with that Nation. If this is not applicable, then
(iv) Choice shall be decided by lot."

You're totally wrong!! If Chile plays against France, Croatia, Germany or Belgium, it will be at home.

The Main Draw and the choice of ground are always decided at the same moment.

http://www.daviscup.com/results/index.asp

if yoou Click on Choice of Ground, you will see the result of the lot.

Hendu
11-22-2006, 12:05 AM
You're totally wrong!! If Chile plays against France, Croatia, Germany or Belgium, it will be at home.

The Main Draw and the choice of ground are always decided at the same moment.

http://www.daviscup.com/results/index.asp

if yoou Click on Choice of Ground, you will see the result of the lot.

Didn't know that.

Thanks! :)

Damn, Chile was really lucky with the lot!

Argentina would play Switzerland as visitors... :(

Here it is:

http://www.daviscup.com/shared/images/choiceofground/wg.gif

jayjay
11-22-2006, 12:42 AM
The draw isn't nice at all for Argentina, to get the final we have to beat every body away.

I don't think so. Belarus can definetely beat Sweden at home. It's very possible for them. Even if they don't, we will have to go to Austria and then Sweden. If we come through that, our SF and F are likely to be at home. SF home v USA or Spain (We'd be away v Czech.Rep), and a potential home final v Russia/Chile/Croatia.

I think the draw is ok for us, the dream scenario would be
Austria away
Belarus home
USA home
Croatia home

the most difficult path would be
Austria away
Sweden away
Spain home or Czech.Rep away (Given Nadal is a virtual 2 wins for Spain, it's hard to know what would be better, I'd still rather play at home than away)
Russia home or France away (again same scenario as SF, Russia still have players who can do damage on clay, they are an all around excellent side, but again rather have the crowd at home)

Hendu
11-22-2006, 03:00 AM
I don't think so. Belarus can definetely beat Sweden at home. It's very possible for them. Even if they don't, we will have to go to Austria and then Sweden. If we come through that, our SF and F are likely to be at home. SF home v USA or Spain (We'd be away v Czech.Rep), and a potential home final v Russia/Chile/Croatia.

I think the draw is ok for us, the dream scenario would be
Austria away
Belarus home
USA home
Croatia home

the most difficult path would be
Austria away
Sweden away
Spain home or Czech.Rep away (Given Nadal is a virtual 2 wins for Spain, it's hard to know what would be better, I'd still rather play at home than away)
Russia home or France away (again same scenario as SF, Russia still have players who can do damage on clay, they are an all around excellent side, but again rather have the crowd at home)

I like Argentina's Draw.

Austria away was one of the best possible match ups we could get. With Nalbandian and the rest of the team healthy, plus Cañas with playing time on fast surfaces on his back, I don't see it as a difficult tie.

Belarus is very strong at home on the fastest court in the Universe, but I don't see them beating the Swedish, who are good players on carpet. Plus Mirnyi has been almost non-existant in singles lately and I don't see Voltchkov defeating Thomas or Pim Pim Johansson.

Beating Sweden is the key to have a shot to win the DC. Like last year was the tie against Australia. It will be very difficult, thats for sure.

Federerless Switzerland just can't beat Spain. And the Spanish will probably play against the Czechs in quarters. With Berdych and with Stepanek back in the team, I think they can beat the Americans. If they manage to do that, they would lose against Spain in Spain in the quarters. That would mean Argentina faces the Spanish at home for a place in the final.

If USA beats Czech Republic, they would face Spain at home. With Rafa's antidote (Blake), Roddick and the Bryans, USA should win and play in Argentina in the semis.

I don't think its a great Draw for Argentina, but it is much better than the one we got this year... I mean: Croatia and Russia away in the final stances is certainly not the best you can get.

And for the final Croatia, Russia and Chile would have to come to Buenos Aires...

So if we beat Austria and Sweden away, we will probably have the semis and the final at home. What more can we ask for?

Hendu
11-22-2006, 03:45 AM
As we are talking about the difficulty of Draws... these are the roads to the championship in the last couple of years.

2005 Croatia (no clay for the Croats)

1st. USA away - hard
Q. Romania home - carpet
S. Russia home - carpet
F. Slovak Republic away - hard

2004 Spain (home, home and home)

1st.Czech Republic away - carpet
Q. Netherlands home - clay
S. France home - clay
F. USA home - clay

2003 Australia (Hewitt beated Federer, and that was it)

1st. Great Britain home - clay
Q. Sweden away - hard
S. Switzerland home - hard
F. Spain home - grass

2002 Russia very nice draw.

1st. Switzerland home - clay
Q. Sweden home - clay
S. Argentina home - carpet
F. France away - clay

2001 France (all the ties away and on all surfaces)

1st. Belgium away - clay
Q. Switzerland away - carpet
S. Netherlands away - carpet
F. Australia away - grass

2000 Spain (the perfect draw)

1st. Italy home - clay
Q. Russia home - clay
S. USA home - clay
F. Australia home clay

Aguante_el_Gato
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
My predictions for Davis Cup 2007:
1st Rd:
Chile over Russia
France over Romania
Croatia over Germany
Belgium over Australia
Czech Republic over USA
Spain over Switzerland
Belarus over Sweden
Argentina over Austria

Quaterfinal:
Chile over France
Belgium over Croatia
Spain over Czech Republic
Argentina over Belarus

Semifinal:
Chile over Belgium
Argentina over Spain

Final:
Chile vs Argentina (and Argentina wins by 3/2) :woohoo:

JuanRodriguez
11-22-2006, 01:14 PM
My predictions for Davis Cup 2007:

Semifinal:
Chile over Belgium
Argentina over Spain

Final:
Chile vs Argentina (and Argentina wins by 3/2) :woohoo:

Belgium in the semi's! I'd like that very much ;)

Checho
11-22-2006, 03:48 PM
I like Argentina's Draw.

Austria away was one of the best possible match ups we could get. With Nalbandian and the rest of the team healthy, plus Cañas with playing time on fast surfaces on his back, I don't see it as a difficult tie.

Belarus is very strong at home on the fastest court in the Universe, but I don't see them beating the Swedish, who are good players on carpet. Plus Mirnyi has been almost non-existant in singles lately and I don't see Voltchkov defeating Thomas or Pim Pim Johansson.

Beating Sweden is the key to have a shot to win the DC. Like last year was the tie against Australia. It will be very difficult, thats for sure.

Federerless Switzerland just can't beat Spain. And the Spanish will probably play against the Czechs in quarters. With Berdych and with Stepanek back in the team, I think they can beat the Americans. If they manage to do that, they would lose against Spain in Spain in the quarters. That would mean Argentina faces the Spanish at home for a place in the final.

If USA beats Czech Republic, they would face Spain at home. With Rafa's antidote (Blake), Roddick and the Bryans, USA should win and play in Argentina in the semis.

I don't think its a great Draw for Argentina, but it is much better than the one we got this year... I mean: Croatia and Russia away in the final stances is certainly not the best you can get.

And for the final Croatia, Russia and Chile would have to come to Buenos Aires...

So if we beat Austria and Sweden away, we will probably have the semis and the final at home. What more can we ask for?

Belarus has no chance agiasnt Sweden, J.Johansson and Soderling are much better than Mirnyi and Voltchkov on carpet, and the swedish doubles is better too.

USA won't beat Czech Republic on clay, Stepanek and Berdych are betters than Roddick and Blake on this surface.

So Argentina will have to beat Sweden away, which is very very difficult.

Because Argentina always depends on Nalbandian performance, if he doesn't win his three points, Argentina will lose. And the swedish doubles is too strong.

Then if Argentina beats Sweden (i don't think so at all), we will play against the Spain of Nadal in Bs As.
The only rival with seriuos chances of beating us at home.

The draw wasn't nice at all.

Hendu
11-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Belarus has no chance agiasnt Sweden, J.Johansson and Soderling are much better than Mirnyi and Voltchkov on carpet, and the swedish doubles is better too.

USA won't beat Czech Republic on clay, Stepanek and Berdych are betters than Roddick and Blake on this surface.

So Argentina will have to beat Sweden away, which is very very difficult.

I mostly agree.

Because Argentina always depends on Nalbandian performance, if he doesn't win his three points, Argentina will lose. And the swedish doubles is too strong.

Argentina has never had Nalbandian and Cañas playing together in Davis Cup in an away tie.

Those are two of the best fastcourt players in the history of Argentine tennis. And with no doubts the best of the last decade.

A team with Nalbandian, Cañas plus Calleri and Chucho (and by then maybe Del Potro), is very capable of beating Sweden on carpet.

Then if Argentina beats Sweden (i don't think so at all), we will play against the Spain of Nadal in Bs As.
The only rival with seriuos chances of beating us at home.

The draw wasn't nice at all.

It certainly isn't easy but unlike previous years, we would get to play the semis and the final in Buenos Aires.

Checho
11-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I mostly agree.

Argentina has never had Nalbandian and Cañas playing together in Davis Cup in an away tie.

Those are two of the best fastcourt players in the history of Argentine tennis. And with no doubts the best of the last decade.

A team with Nalbandian, Cañas plus Calleri and Chucho (and by then maybe Del Potro), is very capable of beating Sweden on carpet.

It certainly isn't easy but unlike previous years, we would get to play the semis and the final in Buenos Aires.

Nobody knows if Cañas will ever recover his best level, Cañas is playing very good but is not he same to play against Vassallo or Berlocq on clay that to play on carpet against Joachim Johansson or Soderling.
Calleri or Acasuso aren't good on carpet, especially Chucho because he's too slow and heavy to move well.
Del Potro is too young to beat JJ or Soderling, actually in Madrid JJ has beaten him very easily.
Sweden is the big favourite agianst Argentina, no doubt about it.

Yes i prefer to play at home against Spain than to play away agianst anybody, but Spain is the worse opponent to play in Argentina.

Despite of this i think is a very good thing to play at home the semis and the final, but it will be very difficult to reach the semis.

Hendu
11-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Nobody knows if Cañas will ever recover his best level, Cañas is playing very good but is not he same to play against Vassallo or Berlocq on clay that to play on carpet against Joachim Johansson or Soderling.

Cañas is already playing very well. And one would think that by April having played ATP tournaments on fast surfaces, he would be prepared to play.

Calleri or Acasuso aren't good on carpet, especially Chucho because he's too slow and heavy to move well.

Its clearly not their best surface, but they can play. They would be valuable in the doubles. And Calleri, playing as the underdog can beat anyone anywhere.

Acasuso's main issue when playing on carpet is not his speed but his big swings, and the problem he has with low balls. But he managed to trouble Safin in Madrid, and he has the best serve among the Argentines.

Del Potro is too young to beat JJ or Soderling, actually in Madrid JJ has beaten him very easily.

Pim Pim Johansson didn't beat Juan Martín easily. Del Potro had many BPs that couldn't take. And that was his first Masters Series match and the tie against Sweden would be played in 4 months.

Sweden is the big favourite against Argentina, no doubt about it.

It would be difficult, but with a healthy team we can beat them.

Yes i prefer to play at home against Spain than to play away agianst anybody, but Spain is the worse opponent to play in Argentina.
Despite of this i think is a very good thing to play at home the semis and the final, but it will be very difficult to reach the semis.

I prefer a Draw that makes it difficult to make it to semis but then the rest of the tournament is played at home, than a draw that makes it pretty easy to the semis but them makes you play against the big teams away.

Checho
11-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Cañas is already playing very well. And one would think that by April having played ATP tournaments on fast surfaces, he would be prepared to play.

Its clearly not their best surface, but they can play. They would be valuable in the doubles. And Calleri, playing as the underdog can beat anyone anywhere.

Acasuso's main issue when playing on carpet is not his speed but his big swings, and the problem he has with low balls. But he managed to trouble Safin in Madrid, and he has the best serve among the Argentines.

Pim Pim Johansson didn't beat Juan Martín easily. Del Potro had many BPs that couldn't take. And that was his first Masters Series match and the tie against Sweden would be played in 4 months.

It would be difficult, but with a healthy team we can beat them.

I prefer a Draw that makes it difficult to make it to semis but then the rest of the tournament is played at home, than a draw that makes it pretty easy to the semis but them makes you play against the big teams away.

Sorry but you can say that Cañas is already playing very well, he hasn't beat anybody, and he hasn't won any important tournament.
The challengers has a very bad level compared to the ATP tournaments or a Davis Cup.
Last year Berlocq was the "King" of Challengers and this year when he had to play at ATP level he did it very bad.

I agreed that Acasuso can be useful for the doubles, but the swedish doubles is too strong and i think we can't beat them.
In singles he can't play, as you said he has big swings and he has lot of problems with the lows balls.
I want to remind you that Madrid is played on Hard, not in carpet, and the ball bounces much higher on hard than on carpet.

Calleri can beat anyone on clay or slow hard like Miami, but on carpet he wont't control the fast services of Soderling or J.Johansson.

Del Potro had a lot of BP, but he lost in straight sets and he only won a few games.
If he had trouble to break JJ on hard, i can't imagine how difficult will be for him to break Johansson's service on carpet.

This draw reminds me the one of 2004, if we had beaten Belarus, we would have played the semis (USA) and the final (Spain) at home.
But we all know what happened against a worse team than Sweden on a similar surface.

Hendu
11-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Sorry but you can say that Cañas is already playing very well, he hasn't beat anybody, and he hasn't won any important tournament.
The challengers has a very bad level compared to the ATP tournaments or a Davis Cup.
Last year Berlocq was the "King" of Challengers and this year when he had to play at ATP level he did it very bad.

Berlocq only won Buenos Aires of the Petrobras series, and other two challengers in the year... having played more than 20 challengers.

While Cañas won 4 of 7 challengers played, and also reached a final and a semifinal. Cañas' game is looking very good to me, and he will be completely ready to play in Davis Cup by April 2007.

I agreed that Acasuso can be useful for the doubles, but the swedish doubles is too strong and i think we can't beat them.
In singles he can't play, as you said he has big swings and he has lot of problems with the lows balls.
I want to remind you that Madrid is played on Hard, not in carpet, and the ball bounces much higher on hard than on carpet.

I wouldn't say he can't play singles, but his game is definitely not the best suited for the surface.
Yes, Madrid Masters is not played on carpet but on greenset, and acrylic hardcourt.

About the doubles, the Swedish are great. They have had great results in Davis Cup. But Argentina also has history of pulling some heroic victories in doubles...
I think it would be a very contested match.

Calleri can beat anyone on clay or slow hard like Miami, but on carpet he wont't control the fast services of Soderling or J.Johansson.

Yes, returning has never been his strength.

Del Potro had a lot of BP, but he lost in straight sets and he only won a few games.
If he had trouble to break JJ on hard, i can't imagine how difficult will be for him to break Johansson's service on carpet.

Del Potro lost 6-4 6-4, and was 0/8 in break points converted. I wouldn't call that an easy win for Johansson.
Anyway I wouldn't choose him for a singles rubber yet, unless he "explodes" in the next 4 months.

Nalbandian and Cañas should play the singles, and Nalbandian/Calleri or Nalbandian/Acasuso the doubles.

We can win. But we have to beat Austria first!!!!!!!!! :p

This draw reminds me the one of 2004, if we had beaten Belarus, we would have played the semis (USA) and the final (Spain) at home.
But we all know what happened against a worse team than Sweden on a similar surface.

With a different team.

Nalbandian and Coria were missing and Cañas (who was not fit, since he was coming from an injury) was called as an emergency replacement. Because of course, its better to have an injured Cañas than making Pico Monaco play a singles rubber. :)

Nalbandian, Cañas, Acasuso and Del Potro or Calleri, would make the best DC Team for fast courts Argentina has had in a looooooooooooooooong time.

Checho
11-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Berlocq only won Buenos Aires of the Petrobras series, and other two challengers in the year... having played more than 20 challengers.

While Cañas won 4 of 7 challengers played, and also reached a final and a semifinal. Cañas' game is looking very good to me, and he will be completely ready to play in Davis Cup by April 2007.

I wouldn't say he can't play singles, but his game is definitely not the best suited for the surface.
Yes, Madrid Masters is not played on carpet but on greenset, and acrylic hardcourt.

About the doubles, the Swedish are great. They have had great results in Davis Cup. But Argentina also has history of pulling some heroic victories in doubles...
I think it would be a very contested match.

Yes, returning has never been his strength.

Del Potro lost 6-4 6-4, and was 0/8 in break points converted. I wouldn't call that an easy win for Johansson.
Anyway I wouldn't choose him for a singles rubber yet, unless he "explodes" in the next 4 months.

Nalbandian and Cañas should play the singles, and Nalbandian/Calleri or Nalbandian/Acasuso the doubles.

We can win. But we have to beat Austria first!!!!!!!!! :p

With a different team.

Nalbandian and Coria were missing and Cañas (who was not fit, since he was coming from an injury) was called as an emergency replacement. Because of course, its better to have an injured Cañas than making Pico Monaco play a singles rubber. :)

Nalbandian, Cañas, Acasuso and Del Potro or Calleri, would make the best DC Team for fast courts Argentina has had in a looooooooooooooooong time.

I hope you'r right, but i don't think so.

I think that Cañas is a big question mark.
Acasuso and Calleri has no chance against Johansson or Soderling on carpet.
Del Potro is a junior, a very good one, but he still being one. He make a lot of mistake according to his age, and it's ok becuase there is no rush.
As always we will depend on Nalbandian, but this time the swedish doubles will make the difference.

Argentina has a terrible record playing on carpet, we not only have lost against belarus, but also against Slovakia.

Sweden is better than Slovakia or Belarus, with Belarus we had many injuries, but with Slovakia we had a complete team.

I'm not saying that's impossible to beat Sweden, but the difficulty of this match show that the draw isn't easy at all. Is not a good draw.

But as you've said, Austria is first, and i like to add: This year final is first, and this is the only thing that has to matter now.

fanancic
11-24-2006, 04:58 PM
My predictions for the first round 2007:

Russia def Chile 3-2
France def Romania 4-1:)
Croatia def Germany 3-2:)
Australia def Belgium 3-2
USA def Czech Republic 3-2
Spain def Switzerland 4-1
Sweden df Belarus 3-2
Argentina def Austria 5-0

Mane
12-04-2006, 05:32 PM
anyone knows surfaces and places for next year ties?

smucav
12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?id=1399211 Dec 2006
2007 Davis Cup first round venues announced

Russia will begin the defence of its Davis Cup by BNP Paribas title with a trip to La Sarena for its 2007 World Group first round tie against Chile. Argentina, the 2006 runner-up, also faces an away tie in Linz against Austria.

The full list of venues for the first round of the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group, to be played the weekend of 9-11 February, is as follows (subject to final confirmation by the ITF):

France v Romania: Grand Halle d’Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand, FRA clay - indoors

Germany v Croatia: KonigPalast, Krefeld, GER indoors (surface tba)

Belgium v Australia: Country Hall, Liege, BEL clay - indoors

Czech Republic v USA: CZE Arena, Ostrava, CZE clay - indoors

Switzerland v Spain: Palexpo, Geneva, SUI indoors (surface tba)

Belarus v Sweden: Football Manege, Minsk, BLR indoors (surface tba)

Austria v Argentina: Intersport Arena, Linz, AUT carpet - indoors

Chile v Russia: Universidad del Mar, La Serena, CHI clay - outdoors

Naide
12-17-2006, 08:56 PM
2007 Davis Cup first round venues announced
Russia will begin the defence of its Davis Cup by BNP Paribas title with a trip to La Sarena for its 2007 World Group first round tie against Chile. Argentina, the 2006 runner-up, also faces an away tie in Linz against Austria.

The full list of venues for the first round of the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group, to be played the weekend of 9-11 February, is as follows (subject to final confirmation by the ITF):

France v Romania: Grand Halle d’Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand, FRA; clay - indoors

Germany v Croatia: KonigPalast, Krefeld, GER; hard - indoors (surface tba)

Belgium v Australia: Country Hall, Liege, BEL; clay - indoors

Czech Republic v USA: CZE Arena, Ostrava, CZE; clay - indoors

Switzerland v Spain: Palexpo, Geneva, SUI; hard - indoors

Belarus v Sweden: Football Manege, Minsk, BLR; hard - indoors

Austria v Argentina: Intersport Arena, Linz, AUT; carpet - indoors

Chile v Russia: Universidad del Mar, La Serena, CHI; clay - outdoors

+alonso
12-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Chile v Russia: Universidad del Mar, La Serena, CHI; clay - outdoors

I would have prefered to be Viña, ;shrug:
Anyway Let's go La Serena!
:rocker2:

Saumon
12-17-2006, 09:26 PM
France v Romania: Grand Halle d’Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand, FRA; clay - indoors

:o

Effka
12-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Czech Republic v USA: CZE Arena, Ostrava, CZE; clay - indoors

sounds interesting and not that far... i might go :eek:

JMG
12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Looks ridiculous to me that France plays on clay during the hc season. :shrug:

fanancic
12-18-2006, 10:29 AM
COME ON CROATIA!!!:worship:

ALLEZ LA FRANCE!!

Puschkin
12-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Looks ridiculous to me that France plays on clay during the hc season. :shrug:

Cette rencontre se déroulera du 9 au 11 février prochains au "Zénith d’Auvergne" (Cournon), une salle inaugurée en 2003 et d’une capacité de 6 000 places dans sa configuration tennis. La surface choisie pour ce premier tour est le Taraflex.

source: http://www.fft.fr/filinfos/default.asp?ID=2223

canbera
12-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Germany v Croatia: KonigPalast, Krefeld, GER; hard - indoors (surface tba)

it's official now that the tie will be played on Rebound Ace ( Indoors )
That should be interesting, I need to get my 3-day-ticket soon.

Andre♥
12-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Belarus vs Sweden in Minsk? :eek:

Mirnyi/Voltchkov vs Soderling/Pimpim

A new ace record coming?

Btw it's going to be funny to see Bjorkman and Mirnyi facing each other in a doubles match.

EDIT: Is there a grass court in Chile? They would have a chance against Russia in that surface. Gonzalez beated Safin in Wimbledon and Davydenko is a joke in grass. Tursunov would have deap troubles to beat Gonzalez in grass and I would give the favorite role to Massu-Gonzalez in the doubles match.

LilyRoseAva
12-18-2006, 02:38 PM
:o

près de chez moi
coool :)

Truc
12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
I just read on a French website that Stepanek announced this morning he won't play (actually, he said he won't never play again in Davis Cup according to the article):
http://www.sport365.fr/depeches/filinfo_145744_Coupe-Davis-Stepanek-renonce.shtml

shotgun
12-22-2006, 05:16 PM
I just read on a French website that Stepanek announced this morning he won't play (actually, he said he won't never play again in Davis Cup according to the article):
http://www.sport365.fr/depeches/filinfo_145744_Coupe-Davis-Stepanek-renonce.shtml

Good news for the yanks. I wonder who will be the second singles player for the Czechs. Probably Hajek.

12-24-2006, 04:03 AM
Good news for the yanks. I wonder who will be the second singles player for the Czechs. Probably Hajek.
The Yanks can use some good news about DC 2007 :D

Matchu
01-01-2007, 02:39 AM
My first round predictions for 2007 davis cup world group.

France v Romania: France d. Romania 3-2

Germany v Croatia: Croatia d. Germany 3-2

Belgium v Australia: Australia d. Belgium 4-1

Czech Republic v USA: Czech Republic d. USA 3-2

Switzerland v Spain: Spain d. Switzerland 4-1

Belarus v Sweden: Belarus d. Sweden 4-1

Austria v Argentina: Argentina d. Austria 5-0

Chile v Russia: Russia d. Chile 3-2

tal20
01-01-2007, 09:09 PM

Truc
01-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Looks ridiculous to me that France plays on clay during the hc season. :shrug:Somebody from the FFT told me France picked Taraflex for the 1st round and it was just a mistake on the Davis Cup website.
(This link also says it will be played on HC: http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100008919)

ChipAndCharge
01-04-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't understand why Belarus will play on hard court, when they have been unbeatable on the carpet for 12 years.

chunchojuan
01-05-2007, 12:08 PM
The reason is very simple, the rival one this time is Sweden, and sure that in carpet on ice, are the Swedes the ones that have the advantage.

ChipAndCharge
01-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Soderling best surface is hard, and Mirnyi & Voltchkov need an ice surface to be competitive.

This choice is not as simple as you say. But I have seen that the hard court is called Taraflex, so it could be a secret plan by the belarusians, like the slovakians did against Spain in 2005, because they said the court was hard court and it was faster than most of carpets courts.

chunchojuan
01-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Soderling is only one player in the Sweden team, a gifted team with a lot of big serve and volley players, Joachim & Thomas Johansson and Jonas Bjorkman they have all the characteristics that are needed to complicate in any fast surface to the Belarussian players.

Another aspect to take into account can be that perhaps Voltchkov be not part of the Belarus team in this Davis Cup match, I understand that he is retired a lot of month ago.

chunchojuan
01-06-2007, 06:34 AM

Australia d. Belgium 4-1 in a red clay surface?
Belarus d. Sweden 4-1 with only "the beast"?
Argentina d. Austria 5-0 in carpet?
:rolls: :smash:

Matchu
01-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Australia d. Belgium 4-1 in a red clay surface?
Belarus d. Sweden 4-1 with only "the beast"?
Argentina d. Austria 5-0 in carpet?
:rolls: :smash:

Australia's key to winning against Belgium : Chris Guccione plays well on clay and under pressure, Lleyton Hewitt can beat both Belgium's top players and Wayno and Hanley should have no trouble winning the doubles.

Belarus' Max Mirny can win singles as well as doubles Vladimir Voltchkov can perform well in Davis Cup he beat David Ferrer last year when Ferrer was near top 10.

Argentina is too classy for Austria they showed that last year when they got into the final and lost 3-2 Nalbandian will beat anything Austria has to offer.

dudi_fan
01-06-2007, 08:41 AM
go ISR!!!!

Jimnik
01-09-2007, 04:43 PM

Mostly agree, except for these:

USA d. Czech 3-2
Sweden d. Belarus 3-2

Also, I don't think Australia will win quite so easliy.

Matchu
01-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Mostly agree, except for these:

USA d. Czech 3-2
Sweden d. Belarus 3-2

Also, I don't think Australia will win quite so easliy.

I made the predictions back when Phillippoussis was supposed to be training really hard and he wasn't injured back then. Plus Lleyton Hewitt was said to be training hard too and it was before the Belgians started playing well. I also made the prediction when Andy Roddick had lost his edge. And Belarus has Vladmir Voltchkov he beat Ferrer last year.

*Viva Chile*
01-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Unofficial confirm teams tie Chile-Russia: (source: Safin told Massu about it in Australia, and Nico arrived today at Chile and said to the press)

Chile:

Fernando Gonzalez
Nicolas Massu
Paul Capdeville
Adrian Garcia

Russia:

Dmitry Tursunov
Marat Safin
Evgeny Korolev
Igor Andreev

so no Davydenko and Youzhny for this tie :)

Truc
01-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Yes, Davydenko confirmed today in his press conference that he won't play in Chile, no matter what:
"Q. To the Davis Cup --
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't play Davis Cup. No questions about Davis Cup. If I play I give you, but I don't go there. Just in Chile I don't know what's happened there
Q. Russia need all his player to win Chile. Russia need Nikolay Davydenko. What is your opinion?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know. Just I think Marat can win also without me against Chile. I think he get time to prepare for clay court and they have good players there and I think we have also good chance to win in Chile Davis Cup for first round.
Q. But you no play?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't go, no."
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2007-01-20/200701201169294832546.html

NyGeL
01-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Chela confirmed he is not going to play against Austria. Calleri and Nalbandian might not play too, so I guess Argentina team will be:

Acasuso
Cañas
Del Potro

the 4th player might be Gaudio or Monaco.

*Viva Chile*
01-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Tursunov and Korolev are OUT of Russian team because wrist injuries.

Tarpischev is making all the team again now.

Jimnik
01-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Can Youzhny be convinced?

mer
01-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Russian team (as of today)
Safin, Andreev, Gabashvili, Schukin, Tursunov

*Viva Chile*
01-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Russian team (as of today)
Safin, Andreev, Gabashvili, Schukin, Tursunov
Schukin???? :spit: :haha:
At least Dima will come as a fifth player :) surely he won't play with his injury.

mer
01-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Schukin???? :spit: :haha:
He is in SA now, playing some challenger, that's why Tarpi picked him.

At least Dima will come as a fifth player :) surely he won't play with his injury.
yes, his wrist is in cast now. but who knows :unsure: I hope Tarpi won't do anything stupid like making him play doubles.:rolleyes:

Fro_Lech
01-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Srichaphan is out - wrist injury

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/30/sport/sport_30025478.php

smucav
01-30-2007, 06:00 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/The ITF has announced the team nominations for the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group First Round and 16 Zonal ties to be played on 9-11 February 2007.

WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND

CHILE v RUSSIA
Venue: La Serena, Chile (clay - outdoors)

Chile
Fernando Gonzalez
Nicolas Massu
Paul Capdeville
Adrian Garcia
Captain: Hans Gildemeister

Russia
Marat Safin
Dmitry Tursunov
Igor Andreev
Teimuraz Gabashvili
Captain: Shamil Tarpischev

FRANCE v ROMANIA
Venue: Clermont-Ferrand, France (hard– indoors)

France
Richard Gasquet
Sebastien Grosjean
Arnaud Clement
Michael Llodra
Captain: Guy Forget

Romania
Andrei Pavel
Victor Hanescu
Victor Crivoi
Horia Tecau
Captain: Florin Segarceanu

GERMANY v CROATIA
Venue: Krefeld, Germany (hard – indoors)

Germany
Tommy Haas
Benjamin Becker
Alexander Waske
Michael Kohlmann
Captain: Patrik Kuhnen

Croatia
Ivan Ljubicic
Mario Ancic
Ivo Karlovic
Marin Cilic
Captain: Goran Prpic

BELGIUM v AUSTRALIA
Venue: Liege, Belgium (clay - indoors)

Belgium
Olivier Rochus
Kristof Vliegen
Christophe Rochus
Dick Norman
Captain: Julien Hoferlin

Australia
Lleyton Hewitt
Chris Guccione
Paul Hanley
Peter Luczak
Captain: John Fitzgerald

CZECH REPUBLIC v USA
Venue: Ostrava, Czech Republic (clay - indoors)

Czech Republic
Tomas Berdych
Lukas Dlouhy
Ivo Minar
Pavel Vizner
Captain: Jaroslav Navratil

USA
Andy Roddick
James Blake
Mike Bryan
Bob Bryan
Captain: Patrick McEnroe

SWITZERLAND v SPAIN
Venue: Geneva, Switzerland (carpet - indoors)

Switzerland
Stanislas Wawrinka
Marco Chiudinelli
Yves Allegro
Stephane Bohli
Captain: Severin Luthi

Spain
Rafael Nadal
David Ferrer
Fernando Verdasco
Feliciano Lopez
Captain: Emilio Sanchez

BELARUS v SWEDEN
Venue: Minsk, Belarus (hard - indoors)

Belarus
Max Mirnyi
Vladimir Voltchkov
Pavel Katliarou
Serguei Tarasevitch
Captain: Dmitry Tatur

Sweden
Robin Soderling
Jonas Bjorkman
Thomas Johansson
Simon Aspelin
Captain: Mats Wilander

AUSTRIA v ARGENTINA
Venue: Linz, Austria (carpet - indoors)

Austria
Jurgen Melzer
Stefan Koubek
Oliver Marach
Julian Knowle
Captain: Gilbert Schaller

Argentina
Jose Acasuso
Juan del Potro
Guillermo Canas
Sebastian Prieto
Captain: Alberto Mancini

Fro_Lech
01-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Others nominations :

http://tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=16765

smucav
02-08-2007, 03:34 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/Please find below the draws for the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group First Round and 16 Zonal ties to be played on 9-11 February.

WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND

CHILE v RUSSIA

Nicolas Massu (CHI) v Marat Safin (RUS)
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) v Igor Andreev (RUS)
Fernando Gonzalez/Nicolas Massu (CHI) v Teimuraz Gabashvili/Igor Kunitsyn (RUS)
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) v Marat Safin (RUS)
Nicolas Massu (CHI) v Igor Andreev (RUS)

FRANCE v ROMANIA
Venue: Clermont-Ferrand, France (hard- indoors)

Richard Gasquet (FRA) v Victor Hanescu (ROM)
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) v Andrei Pavel (ROM)
Arnaud Clement/Michael Llodra (FRA) v Florian Mergea/Horia Tecau (ROM)
Richard Gasquet (FRA) v Andrei Pavel (ROM)
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) v Victor Hanescu (ROM)

GERMANY v CROATIA
Venue: Krefeld, Germany (hard - indoors)

Tommy Haas (GER) v Mario Ancic (CRO)
Benjamin Becker (GER) v Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
Michael Kohlmann/Alexander Waske (GER) v Mario Ancic/Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
Tommy Haas (GER) v Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
Benjamin Becker (GER) v Mario Ancic (CRO)

BELGIUM v AUSTRALIA

Kristof Vliegen (BEL) v Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
Olivier Rochus (BEL) v Chris Guccione (AUS)
Dick Norman/Christophe Rochus (BEL) v Paul Hanley/Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
Olivier Rochus (BEL) v Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
Kristof Vliegen (BEL) v Chris Guccione (AUS)

CZECH REPUBLIC v USA

Ivo Minar (CZE) v Andy Roddick (USA)
Tomas Berdych (CZE) v James Blake (USA)
Lukas Dlouhy/Pavel Vizner (CZE) v Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (USA)
Tomas Berdych (CZE) v Andy Roddick (USA)
Ivo Minar (CZE) v James Blake (USA)

SWITZERLAND v SPAIN

Marco Chiudinelli (SUI) v Rafael Nadal (ESP)
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) v David Ferrer (ESP)
Yves Allegro/Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) v Feliciano Lopez/Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) v Rafael Nadal (ESP)
Marco Chiudinelli (SUI) v David Ferrer (ESP)

BELARUS v SWEDEN

Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR) v Robin Soderling (SWE)
Max Mirnyi (BLR) v Thomas Johansson (SWE)
Max Mirnyi/Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR) v Simon Aspelin/Jonas Bjorkman (SWE)
Max Mirnyi (BLR) v Robin Soderling (SWE)
Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR) v Thomas Johansson (SWE)

AUSTRIA v ARGENTINA

Stefan Koubek (AUT) v Jose Acasuso (ARG)
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v Guillermo Canas (ARG)
Julian Knowle/Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v Jose Acasuso/Sebastian Prieto (ARG)
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v Jose Acasuso (ARG)
Stefan Koubek (AUT) v Guillermo Canas (ARG)

smucav
02-10-2007, 07:12 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/Please find below the latest results for the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group first round and 16 Zonal ties being played on 9-11 February. For the first time in the history of the World Group (since 1981), all eight first round ties are still live going into the third day. Although five nations held a 2-0 lead after the opening day's singles on Friday, all five nations went on to lose their doubles rubber on Saturday.

WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND

RUSSIA leads CHILE 2-1
Marat Safin (RUS) d. Nicolas Massu (CHI) 63 62 62
Igor Andreev (RUS) d. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) 46 64 63 62
Fernando Gonzalez/Nicolas Massu (CHI) d. Igor Andreev/Marat Safin (RUS) 76(3) 63 64
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) v Marat Safin (RUS)
Nicolas Massu (CHI) v Igor Andreev (RUS)

FRANCE leads ROMANIA 2-1
Venue: Clermont-Ferrand, France (hard- indoors)
Richard Gasquet (FRA) d. Victor Hanescu (ROM) 75 62 62
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) d. Andrei Pavel (ROM) 46 57 63 61 62
Florin Mergea/Horia Tecau (ROM) d. Arnaud Clement/Michael Llodra (FRA) 36 75 75 67(3) 119
Richard Gasquet (FRA) v Andrei Pavel (ROM)
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) v Victor Hanescu (ROM)

GERMANY leads CROATIA 2-1
Venue: Krefeld, Germany (hard - indoors)

Tommy Haas (GER) d. Mario Ancic (CRO) 26 64 64 64
Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) d. Benjamin Becker (GER) 67(4) 64 62 63
Michael Kohlmann/Alexander Waske (GER) d. Mario Ancic/Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 64 62 76(5)
Tommy Haas (GER) v Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
Benjamin Becker (GER) v Mario Ancic (CRO)

BELGIUM leads AUSTRALIA 2-1

Kristof Vliegen (BEL) d. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) 46 64 36 63 64
Olivier Rochus (BEL) d. Chris Guccione (AUS) 36 75 62 63
Paul Hanley/Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) d. Olivier Rochus/Kristof Vliegen (BEL) 62 64 62
Olivier Rochus (BEL) v Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
Kristof Vliegen (BEL) v Chris Guccione (AUS)

USA leads CZECH REPUBLIC 2-1

Andy Roddick (USA) d. Ivo Minar (CZE) 64 46 62 63
Tomas Berdych (CZE) d. James Blake (USA) 61 26 75 75
Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (USA) d. Lukas Dlouhy/Pavel Vizner (CZE) 64 64 64
Tomas Berdych (CZE) v Andy Roddick (USA)
Ivo Minar (CZE) v James Blake (USA)

SPAIN leads SWITZERLAND 2-1

Marco Chiudinelli (SUI) d. Fernando Verdasco (ESP) 63 64 36 76(2)
David Ferrer (ESP) d. Stephane Bohli (SUI) 63 62 62
Feliciano Lopez/Fernando Verdasco (ESP) d. Yves Allegro/Marco Chiudinelli (SUI) 76(5) 67(3) 67(2) 61 1210
Stephane Bohli (SUI) v Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
Marco Chiudinelli (SUI) v David Ferrer (ESP)

SWEDEN leads BELARUS 2-1

Robin Soderling (SWE) d. Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR) 63 76(3) 61
Thomas Johansson (SWE) d. Max Mirnyi (BLR) 64 64 64
Max Mirnyi/Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR) d. Simon Aspelin/Jonas Bjorkman (SWE) 75 46 75 63
Max Mirnyi (BLR) v Robin Soderling (SWE)
Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR) v Thomas Johansson (SWE)

ARGENTINA leads AUSTRIA 2-1

Jose Acasuso (ARG) d. Stefan Koubek (AUT) 76(6) 61 64
Guillermo Canas (ARG) d. Jurgen Melzer (AUT) 76(6) 62 64
Julian Knowle/Jurgen Melzer (AUT) d. Jose Acasuso/Sebastian Prieto (ARG) 63 67(2) 61 75
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v Jose Acasuso (ARG)
Stefan Koubek (AUT) v Guillermo Canas (ARG)