Nalbandian's Rios-like interview after losing to Federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nalbandian's Rios-like interview after losing to Federer

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 10:51 PM
R. FEDERER/D. Nalbandian

7-5, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3

An interview with:

DAVID NALBANDIAN

Q. He just seemed to lift at the critical points, at the important points, Roger seemed to. That was the difference maybe today?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, I think the difference was so close. So not too much difference. I think in the important points, in the big points, he played better than me. That's the difference.

Q. He made 55 unforced errors to 30 in your case. You must be disappointed in the result.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I don't care about the statistics so... The match is enough, to win or to lose. Simple.

Q. What was the difference between last year and this year?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: What difference? Because why I won?

Q. You beat him.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: So?

Q. Just the main points.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Every match is different. I can't say I played bad. So I think the match was very, very close. So not much difference.

Just, I don't know. I don't know how many points he won or how many points I won. But the difference was in the big moments he played better, better than me. I have a lot breakpoints and he served really good.

So he played little better.

Q. Was it a problem for you that you hadn't had a real hard test before in this tournament? You won so easily every match before.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No.

tangerine_dream
01-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Pfft! :haha: What'd I tell you? Typical crybaby, whiny Nalbandian. "I lost! Leave me alone! Waaaaa!" :baby:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:56 PM
There actually isn't anything wrong with his interview. He's giving them curt answers, but he's hardly the first to do so. I'd love to see how you'd react after a big loss if you were a professional athlete. Judging by your stupidity here, I somehow doubt that you'd show even an ounce of the class that Roddick usually does.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:56 PM
^that was for Tangerine, btw.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:57 PM
So he played little better.

Yes. He's such a whiney crybaby. What a poor loser! He just wants to be left alone!

*sigh* One of these days, you'll actually learn to read and act like an adult, Tangerine. Just not today ;)

tangerine_dream
01-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Aaw, poor Queenie's acting bitter again. :devil:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Aaw, poor Queenie's acting bitter again. :devil:
Bitter? Again?

If I'm acting "bitter" "again" I suppose that we could say that you're still bitter over Roddick getting smacked down by Marat. That must have been humbling, huh? Your poor little ego!

Here's the difference, halfwit - I didn't think Nalbandian was going to win. Federer is a better player.

You on the other hand, were so confident about Roddick that you made an ass out of yourself beforehand.

Congraltuations.

I'll take your definition of "bitter" over the absolutely stupidity and childishness that you demonstrate any time.

WyverN
01-28-2004, 11:00 PM
ALL Nalbandians press conferences are like that, read his previous interviews when he won, the answers are just as crude.

I think its more a case of him not being confident in English then anything else

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:03 PM
ALL Nalbandians press conferences are like that, read his previous interviews when he won, the answers are just as crude.

I think its more a case of him not being confident in English then anything else
Stop making sense. You'll confuse our small brained friend here....

TennisLurker
01-28-2004, 11:09 PM
I guess this time he couldnt say "I feel so good" Rebecca ;)

tangerine_dream
01-28-2004, 11:15 PM
If I'm acting "bitter" "again" I suppose that we could say that you're still bitter over Roddick getting smacked down by Marat. That must have been humbling, huh? Your poor little ego!

I don't really have an ego to bruise, sorry to disappoint you. And yeah, I got over Andy's loss in about two minutes. If I were bitter, I'd be posting anti-Marat/pro-Andy posts all over the place. I've even started putting satan icons next to Marat's name just to be silly and if that flies over your head, well what else is new? I'm not concerned because the people with a brain here (ie, not you) know enough that I'm just goofing around and that I don't truly hate any player, not even your beloved Nalbandian.

You on the other hand, were so confident about Roddick that you made an ass out of yourself beforehand.

Lots of people--even the tennis experts in this place--were confident Roddick would win. If that makes me an "ass", good, I'm glad I'm not alone. :devil: I'm not afraid to put my head on the chopping block and take my lumps when I'm wrong. It's more interesting in the discussions to go all-out and make a prediction than to play it safe and take the Charlie Brown road to neutrality because god forbid, you get one thing wrong in your life. :rolleyes:

I'll take your definition of "bitter" over the absolutely stupidity and childishness that you demonstrate any time.

Cool. I'd rather be your version of childish than walk around with a stick up my ass all day long. No wonder you're so bitter all the time. :p

Deboogle!.
01-28-2004, 11:29 PM

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I thought sometimes they actually ask some of the questions in the person's native language (such as media outlets from the player's home country or same language, etc) and then translate them? I could be wrong on that but I thought I'd read it somewhere, but if that is the case, I can see how a poor translation would also account for it sounding a little bizarre.

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Bunk, you went a day without posting :eek:

I was really about to get worried :o

Deboogle!.
01-28-2004, 11:38 PM
aww thanks for your concern ;)

I was in the Andy forum... before the QF I said several times that I was going to stay away from GM no matter what happened. And from what I've heard it's good that I did :) but I think the storm has blown over so I returned. Plus I actually had quite a busy day yesterday for once lol

Leo
01-28-2004, 11:49 PM

Agreed.

Why can't they just conduct the interview in the player's native language and then post the English translation on the official website?

Leo
01-28-2004, 11:50 PM
aww thanks for your concern ;)

I was in the Andy forum... before the QF I said several times that I was going to stay away from GM no matter what happened. And from what I've heard it's good that I did :) but I think the storm has blown over so I returned. Plus I actually had quite a busy day yesterday for once lol

That's what I had figured. Smart move. ;)

Leo
01-28-2004, 11:51 PM
That reminds me of when I didn't post once on gotennis.com for a week after Lindsay choked a final (you can imagine how distraught I was ;)), and people were wondering if I died. :o I wonder what they're thinking now, since I haven't been there in months?

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:59 PM
That reminds me of when I didn't post once on gotennis.com for a week after Lindsay choked a final (you can imagine how distraught I was ;)), and people were wondering if I died. :o I wonder what they're thinking now, since I haven't been there in months?
hehe... when I went to New York City last summer and was gone for about 8 days, I came back to discover a thread and several concerned people on WTAWorld :o lol

the cat
01-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Nalbandian's curt answers and unhappy demeanor during his interview is nothing new in men's tennis. Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe made surliness in post match interviews an art form after they lost tough matches. :eek:

Leo, you really should have said goodbye at gotennis.com. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Nalbandian's curt answers and unhappy demeanor during his interview is nothing new in men's tennis. Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe made surliness in post match interviews an art form after they lost tough matches. :eek:

It's been pointed out that most of Nalbandian's interviews are like this, and that losing had little to do with it.

But whatever.

People will judge things they know nothing about, no matter what the truth is ;)

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:08 AM

Actually, my previous post inspired me to return and post a few things on the men's board. I also wanted to check things out again and see if it was worth returning to... Nope. There are a few cool posters, but just a few. Plus it's slow.

undomiele
01-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Why are you taking such a divisive take on an interview and posting it in GM Tangerine? Talk about spreading negativity! I guess you can't whine now when people post threads dissing Roddick in GM...

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Don't worry, it's just tangerine's idea of humour - fortunately it doesn't rub off on many.

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 12:14 AM
no problem with his answers, if you ask me. how many times did he have to say "he played a littl better today" and "it was close" ? they kept asking him basically the same questions...

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Don't worry, it's just tangerine's idea of humour - fortunately it doesn't rub off on many.
It's one step above potty humour, I might add...

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Isnt gotennis.com the board with that guy or girl who always posts scary two pages Sampras apologetics?

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:16 AM
Why are you taking such a divisive take on an interview and posting it in GM Tangerine? Talk about spreading negativity! I guess you can't whine now when people post threads dissing Roddick in GM...
Oh oh oh ! Let me answer for her! Because she's an idiot. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence which backs my claim. She's also bitter, and insists on projecting her feelings on to me. I don't mind though... whatever it takes to cushion her little ego ;)

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 12:17 AM
gotennis has unregistered_1 or something who posts 2 page posts abt just about everything.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:17 AM
(although it's worth noting that Tangerine isn't the one who posted this thread!)

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:18 AM
gotennis has unregistered_1 or something who posts 2 page posts abt just about everything.
That poster is almost the entire reason that I stopped posting there.

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:20 AM
They really have got to start asking them questions entirely in Spanish, Nalbandian and especially Ferrero's interviews can be quite farcical. Ferrero seems to invent a new word in each press conference ("pression" being the latest one), and often his replies have very little to do with the question being asked. Not really his fault... you should read Myskina's interview after the Clijsters loss though. Drop the clever cinematic references, guys.

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 12:22 AM
That poster is almost the entire reason that I stopped posting there.
i used to post there too... and i didn't really have a reason to leave it, but i just liked wtaworld and atpworld much much better.

i think im in the vast minority that found tplayer's and diya's posts entertaining. it never failed to amaze me how many morons they could bate with their outlandish statements.

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:23 AM

Yup. UR1 has the habit of rambling on and on with the longest, most redundant and meaningless posts. Lots of words, little insight.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Yup. UR1 has the habit of rambling on and on with the longest, most redundant and meaningless posts. Lots of words, little insight.
Yes... I vageuly recall him writing me several essays on why claycourt players like Ferrero were SUCK and why Pete was forever the God. As if Pete had any part in the dicussion in the first place, or it was necessary to point out that Pete is greater than Ferrero.

I posted back in 2001, and only randomly after that ;)

TennisLurker
Yeah, Unregistered1...scary//

J. Corwin
Nalby is short and to the point. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
I came to the conclusion that UR1 had given up really arguing her points some time ago, and wrote long boring posts in order to bore her opposition into submission.

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 12:28 AM
Yes... I vageuly recall him writing me several essays on why claycourt players like Ferrero were SUCK and why Pete was forever the God. As if Pete had any part in the dicussion in the first place, or it was necessary to point out that Pete is greater than Ferrero.

I posted back in 2001, and only randomly after that ;)

That is what I mean by Sampras apologetics, I remember once he/she was explaining that Sampras didnt really have a weak backhand, it was Guga who had a "freak one handed backhand" because he could the ball so hard, :eek:

All that in two pages.

Everything Pete does is godlike according to Unregistered.

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:29 AM
They really have got to start asking them questions entirely in Spanish, Nalbandian and especially Ferrero's interviews can be quite farcical. Ferrero seems to invent a new word in each press conference ("pression" being the latest one), and often his replies have very little to do with the question being asked. Not really his fault... you should read Myskina's interview after the Clijsters loss though. Drop the clever cinematic references, guys.

Actually, he's been using "pression" for a while, now. I think it was once pointed out to him that the actual word is "pressure," but obviously he's fallen back on bad habits. He also says "base of the line" and "tennistically" quite often. :lol:

In his latest interview, Ferrero was asked, "People are talking about Roger Federer, Andre Agassi, not so much about you. Does that bother you or is that good for you?" and he responded by saying "Thankyou." :o The officials were nice enough to not put that in the written version on the website, but you can hear in in the video. Hehehe.

Anyway, what do you mean by cinematic references, Sjeng?

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:32 AM
i used to post there too... and i didn't really have a reason to leave it, but i just liked wtaworld and atpworld much much better.

i think im in the vast minority that found tplayer's and diya's posts entertaining. it never failed to amaze me how many morons they could bate with their outlandish statements.

Yep, I remember you. You were/are a Seles fan, no?

Do you still visit anymore? I always wanted to find out what exactly happened to Dayhovah but I couldn't find the thread. Poor guy. :sad:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Actually, he's been using "pression" for a while, now. I think it was once pointed out to him that the actual word is "pressure," but obviously he's fallen back on bad habits. He also says "base of the line" and "tennistically" quite often. :lol:

In his latest interview, Ferrero was asked, "People are talking about Roger Federer, Andre Agassi, not so much about you. Does that bother you or is that good for you?" and he responded by saying "Thankyou." :o The officials were nice enough to not put that in the written version on the website, but you can hear in in the video. Hehehe.

Anyway, what do you mean by cinematic references, Sjeng?
This? Is priceless:

Q. How is your leg?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: You know, is so-so right now, you know. I feel some, you know, stress at the beginning of the match, you know, when I was 4-3 with a break.

But then with the tape and I take also ibuprofen, it's like aspirin to feel less the pain, and I was going well, and I could finish the match good.

Q. What is the injury?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: In the abductor, you know. It's like, I don't know.

Q. Not hamstring?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yeah, it's a little bit broke, but...

Q. What part of the hamstring?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Hamstring, yeah.

Q. No, it's the groin.

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Groin, yeah.

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Ah yes, tennistically, that's a real corker... well, it started after her win against Rubin when they tried to make a clever pun by suggesting that naturally she was a feisty girl coming from Russia because she was named Anastasia (as in the crown princess, and the movie?). Myskina didn't get it. Then for some bizarre God only knows reason, after her QF loss some idiot asks "Have you seen the movie Anastasia?", to which she replies somewhat inaccurately, "Is cartoon, not movie." He then reprimands her, "No, the 1950 movie with Ingrid Bergman, it's really good, you'd like it." "No." End of discussion, pointless attempt at humour over her head, nice way to waste part of a press conference.

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Oh my God, if Ferrero keeps on speaking this funny broken english I may start to like him a little bit...!

And you laugh even if you dont understand spanish, this is funnier for me because tennistically and base of the line make sense to me.

the cat
01-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Ferrero and Safin seem to have the same Rebound Ace induced abductor injury. :(

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Ferrero and Safin seem to have the same Rebound Ace induced abductor injury. :(
It's not rebound ace. Ferrero has struggled with injuries like this his entire career.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Oh my God, if Ferrero keeps on speaking this funny broken english I may start to like him a little bit...!

And you laugh even if you dont understand spanish, this is funnier for me because tennistically and base of the line make sense to me.
Somebody who speaks Spanish explained "pression" to me before.... but I forget how that went now.

I understand how he mixes up the order of things, throws in extra words that you don't need in English (like in base of the line), and sometimes flips his negative terms around. Spanish and English are structured differently.

But yes, it's likely more amusing for you than it is for me and my Spanish 101 ;)

J. Corwin
01-29-2004, 12:40 AM
This? Is priceless:

Q. How is your leg?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: You know, is so-so right now, you know. I feel some, you know, stress at the beginning of the match, you know, when I was 4-3 with a break.

But then with the tape and I take also ibuprofen, it's like aspirin to feel less the pain, and I was going well, and I could finish the match good.

Q. What is the injury?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: In the abductor, you know. It's like, I don't know.

Q. Not hamstring?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yeah, it's a little bit broke, but...

Q. What part of the hamstring?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Hamstring, yeah.

Q. No, it's the groin.

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Groin, yeah.

Please to read. :o

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:44 AM
To be fair, the reporters were confusing him. They should know better than to throw a bunch of English terms at him, and expecting him to be able to differentiate between "Hamtring" and "Groin". If all you know is conversational English like he does, it makes sense to assume that they are the same thing.

It still makes for a funny read, though.

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:50 AM
To be fair, the reporters were confusing him. They should know better than to throw a bunch of English terms at him, and expecting him to be able to differentiate between "Hamtring" and "Groin". If all you know is conversational English like he does, it makes sense to assume that they are the same thing.

It still makes for a funny read, though.

Yeah, the Spanish translators in the room were trying to help sort Ferrero out with all the terms, without much luck.

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Ah yes, tennistically, that's a real corker... well, it started after her win against Rubin when they tried to make a clever pun by suggesting that naturally she was a feisty girl coming from Russia because she was named Anastasia (as in the crown princess, and the movie?). Myskina didn't get it. Then for some bizarre God only knows reason, after her QF loss some idiot asks "Have you seen the movie Anastasia?", to which she replies somewhat inaccurately, "Is cartoon, not movie." He then reprimands her, "No, the 1950 movie with Ingrid Bergman, it's really good, you'd like it." "No." End of discussion, pointless attempt at humour over her head, nice way to waste part of a press conference.

Oh, I understand now. I'll have to watch that. :lol:

Btw, "Anastasia" is a great animated movie. :)

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 12:55 AM
Yesterday, or was it two days ago?? I watched Nastya for the first time.
I liked her, I hope she will improve and reach more semis, here we only get to see woman tennis 4 times a year and only 5 or 6 matches.

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 01:06 AM
Yes indeed, although that Clijsters-Myskina match was the sort of thing that could put you off women's tennis for life if you were a casual viewer... were there ever an uglier set of statistics than at the end of that one? Myskina, it's said, has one of the poorest second serves out there but still managed to serve better than Clijsters (though not by much), who had no aces and 9 double faults.

Leo
01-29-2004, 01:11 AM
I didn;t bother watching, but it sure was painful listening to (w/ the Eurosport commentary). Just a really shitty match between two really fine players. This women's Slam has been a disappointment all the way through.

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 01:12 AM
I dont see why it should be so hard to have an average good second serve, she is not a short girl or weak.
Sometimes I wonder if this girls really work hard off court.

Anyone remembers Sabatini...??.... that was bad bad bad

tennischick
01-29-2004, 01:19 AM
ironically i'm in the middle of watching the Clijsters-Myskina match right now (so much tennis, so little time!). Myskina is a seriously slow starter btu she is VERY talented. too bad her second serve is worse than Hingis' but her groundies are awesome.

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Before my time, but I can certainly imagine it from what I've read about her. Yes, the poor serve of lower-ranked players is easily the worst thing about the women's game. So many of them have perfectly good groundstrokes, but they're always going to be vulnerable with such poor serves. What's worse, instead of going for a high percentage they always try to hit a big first serve, miss it and then toss in a powderpuff second which is duly crunched by the returner.

RogiFan88
01-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Somebody who speaks Spanish explained "pression" to me before.... but I forget how that went now.

I understand how he mixes up the order of things, throws in extra words that you don't need in English (like in base of the line), and sometimes flips his negative terms around. Spanish and English are structured differently.

But yes, it's likely more amusing for you than it is for me and my Spanish 101 ;)

Becca, that could have been me! Pression simply means pressure, that's all.

I rather like the efficient "tenisticamente"! ;)

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 01:29 AM
"And Steffi Graf hits a forehand winner of Gabriella's second serve".

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 01:49 AM
That's what I had figured. Smart move. ;)

I thought so ;) Turns out it was a very smart move. But it's so nice to know that I was missed ;)

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Yep, I remember you. You were/are a Seles fan, no?

Do you still visit anymore? I always wanted to find out what exactly happened to Dayhovah but I couldn't find the thread. Poor guy. :sad:
huge seles fan... aren't you a lindsay fan and post over at wtaworld... i think yur the same person, lol... same leo-- but u have #s on wtaworld.

no idea what happened to him actually. most posters have been on wtaworld.... and every once in a while there's another one that i see that looks familiar that must have been from gotennis.

but i'm still missing a whole lotta seles fans that i haven't talked to in a while.

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 02:45 AM

:lol: Can you possibly be any more clueless, undomiele? Buh-bye, now, buh-bye. :bigwave:

Oh oh oh ! Let me answer for her! Because she's an idiot. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence which backs my claim. She's also bitter, and insists on projecting her feelings on to me. I don't mind though... whatever it takes to cushion her little ego ;)

Oh my, such megalomania! Talk about having to cushion a little ego. :rolls:

Sorry Queenie, but don't assume to ever speak for me on anything. For one thing, you're an asshat, and I'm not. :angel: For another thing, you don't know word one about me and it's a comical tragedy watching a bitter little person such as yourself try to assuage her broken ego by taking another desperate dig at someone you don't know jack about.

And stop trying to project your extreme hatred and massive ID unto me because it just isn't working. I laughed at Nalby's angry interview. You got hyper-defensive and started hurling insults like you usually do when you don't have an answer for something. That's all that transpired basically. :banana:

Now about that stick up your ass . . .

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 02:47 AM
lmfao tangerine always stirring up controversy ;)

MisterQ
01-29-2004, 02:48 AM
LOL all these gotennis anecdotes are bringing back memories. what a bizarre board that is. haven't been there in many months

I remember DayHovah, he was really funny sometimes. and then he stopped posting.

star
01-29-2004, 02:50 AM

Sorta like Tangy, huh?

:)

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 02:54 AM
Actually, Tangerine IS the moron. Not that another one like yourself would be able to figure that out, Star.

Tangerine, your cyber psychology is very cute, but it's got nothing on mine. Try harder. See if you can manage a post without being mind bogglingly stupid.

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 02:57 AM

But I don't do it on purpose (well, ok, sometimes I do just to be annoying and needle certain people :devil: ) ... but if some judgemental idiot is going to step on my toes, she better be prepared for a toe-smashing. ;)

BTW, bunk, I don't blame you for staying away from GM. After the Safin-Roddick match, all the Safinsluts just couldn't *wait* to gloat and laugh and gloat and laugh some more, and burn his effigy and post several more anti-Andy threads around (just in case there weren't enough :lol: ). :rolls:

You didn't miss much worth reading. :banana:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 02:57 AM
And you? Are a hypocrite who needs to shut the fuck up more often.

It's funny when Tangerine is mind bogglingly stupid and insults people, but when I'm sarcastic and insult people it's heartless and mean?

Consistency, sweetheart. Look it up. Get some.

Take your Sesame Street act somewhere else too, because you only embarass yourself by supporting posters like this and then talking about "respect".

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 02:58 AM
Tangerine, your cyber psychology is very cute, but it's got nothing on mine. Try harder. See if you can manage a post without being mind bogglingly stupid.

But I could never beat you in that department, sweetie. :kiss:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 02:59 AM
But I don't do it on purpose (well, ok, sometimes I do just to be annoying and needle certain people :devil: ) ... but if some judgemental idiot is going to step on my toes, she better be prepared for a toe-smashing. ;)

BTW, bunk, I don't blame you for staying away from GM. After the Safin-Roddick match, all the Safinsluts just couldn't *wait* to gloat and laugh and gloat and laugh some more, and burn his effigy and post several more anti-Andy threads around (just in case there weren't enough :lol: ). :rolls:

You didn't miss much worth reading. :banana:
Tangerine, you've got nothing on me. Deal with it.

Those in doubt can just check the Roddick thread for examples...

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 03:00 AM
But I could never beat you in that department, sweetie. :kiss:
I'm rubber and you're glue?

Wow, that was clever.

Whatever will she come up with next? Where is Leo when I need some work on my playground fighting techiniques?

Quit embarassing yourself, you ass.

Deboogle!.
Becca I was kidding. Chill. I'm not involved in this argument, nor was I condoning anything she said, because quite frankly I don't like to see name-calling, from anyone. I'm not going to let you bait me and get me involved.

Chloe le Bopper
Becca I was kidding. Chill. I'm not involved in this argument, nor was I condoning anything she said, because quite frankly I don't like to see name-calling, from anyone. I'm not going to let you bait me and get me involved.
You got yourself involved. And I stand by what I said.

You can't pick and choose your spots to laugh at people who are being assholes. You either hate us all for doing it, or you don't.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 03:03 AM
I made a peanut gallery comment and got myself involved? Ok if that's what you want to believe. And once again, I never said I condoned what tangerine was saying, I would prefer if everyone would stop the insults quite frankly. But it still isn't going to work. I've never called you a name or personally insulted you, and I don't intend to start now. Oh, and I don't hate anyone.

Anyone want some popcorn? Fresh bag coming out of the microwave!

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 03:03 AM
Geez, my 1st time properly back on MTF and I feel the love already.

Bunk, did I gloat when Roddick got beaten? Did I come to the Roddick forum and make fun of your hero losing? Come to think of it reading the insults can be interesting, if they are actually good.

SanTaureau Fan
01-29-2004, 03:05 AM
What's wrong with the interview? :scratch: I thought people were desesperate for controversy on the WTA Tour. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 03:06 AM

Bunk, did I gloat when Roddick got beaten? Did I come to the Roddick forum and make fun of your hero losing? Come to think of it reading the insults can be interesting, if they are actually good.
You might not of, but I sure did ;)

That "Boy, I sure Feel sorry for Safin!" thread is a classic that should go down as an example of why people should NOT make threads like that.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 03:06 AM
*walks into thread*

*runs out of thread*

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 03:08 AM

Bunk, did I gloat when Roddick got beaten? Did I come to the Roddick forum and make fun of your hero losing.

First of all Andy is not my hero, my grandfathers, two immigrants who built their own businesses and lives from nothing and succeeded in life, are my heroes.

Did I say you gloated? I didn't say anything. I didn't even come to General Messages until this evening and I purposely ignored all of those threads. A few people did come to the Andy board but not you.... then again I never said you did. Did you say my name by mistake, or did you mean Tangerine?

God, I really do not want to argue with anyone anymore and I mean it.

stacy_zam
01-29-2004, 03:13 AM
I reckon' theres nothin wrong with the interview, Nalbandi just answered the idiotic and redundant questions thats all!!

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 03:16 AM
Well done Rebecca, I was on a timeframe and writing those reports for a two fingered typist takes a lot of time.

Originally posted by Queen Rebecca
That "Boy, I sure Feel sorry for Safin!" thread is a classic that should go down as an example of why people should NOT make threads like that.

The overwhelming crowd favourite during that match, and yes I do feel sorry for Safin. Many guys thinks he's a good bloke and lots of women find him attractive, so yes I feel sorry for him.

Getting back on topic how many people could handle a media conference in a second language? Nalbandian's English is not that bad, I mean come on not many of the journalists slow down when they speak and also how is someone going to get better in another language, if they don't use it?

That being said it always seems more humorous when someone who is very talented in their field, struggling at something else in a way it makes them more human.

undomiele
01-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Tangerine, no one thinks that interview was controversial at all. Period.

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 03:21 AM

Pfffft! Hahahaha! :haha: :haha: Thanks again, Queenie, for demonstrating your utter cluelessness over a thread I created that you obviously never read and have NO idea what it's really about! You just read the title, assumed its meaning, and are now gloating over something you have no freaking clue over! :eek: Hahahaha! :rolls:

Too funny! Keep it up, girl. You making an ass out of yourself if always a blast to watch. :haha:

*walks into thread*

*runs out of thread*

:haha: WyverN, don't be scared! Come baaaaack!

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 03:23 AM
Tangerine, no one thinks that interview was controversial at all. Period.

I never said it was controversial. At all. Period.

Boy, this spontaneous fishing expedition is netting me some bigguns... :devil:

Leo
01-29-2004, 03:25 AM
What's wrong with the interview? :scratch: I thought people were desesperate for controversy on the WTA Tour. ;)

We ATP fans don't need to fake any drama. We got steroid usage, gambling on matches, accusations against the USTA, ATP, and Jim McInvale (thanks for that, David :D), and anti-Roddick sentiment among the players (Ljubicic, Safin, etc.). Juicy stuff for the tabloids. ;)

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 03:26 AM
Tangerine, I think even Heya could teach you some composure.

I dont understand the appeal of behaving like an idiot on a message board.

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 03:26 AM
Well said Leo.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 03:28 AM
Well, Safin said some pretty classy things about Andy the other night, so maybe he's trying to cut down on the drama ;)

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 03:29 AM

Thanks Tennis Lurker, but if you go back to the beginning, you'll see that it was Queenie who hurled the personal insults first and I was simply defending myself, which I will always do against judgemental asswipes like herself.

Tennis Fool
01-29-2004, 03:32 AM
We ATP fans don't need to fake any drama. We got steroid usage, gambling on matches, accusations against the USTA, ATP, and Jim McInvale (thanks for that, David :D), and anti-Roddick sentiment among the players (Ljubicic, Safin, etc.). Juicy stuff for the tabloids. ;)

:lol:

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 03:32 AM
He still doesn't like him bunk.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 03:40 AM
He still doesn't like him bunk.

But disliking someone doesn't inherently produce drama. He said nice things, it makes him look gracious and classy and definitely *avoids* drama. Andy is always gracious and always says nice things about his opponents whether he loses or crushes them. I'm sure he doesn't like them all but he's not creating drama. Only because Leo brought him up, someone like Ljubicic seems to feed off of drama and saying tactless things in front of press conferences, that's creating drama. Big distinction there :)

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 03:40 AM
it double-posted and now it won't let me delete it :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 03:48 AM
Pfffft! Hahahaha! :haha: :haha: Thanks again, Queenie, for demonstrating your utter cluelessness over a thread I created that you obviously never read and have NO idea what it's really about! You just read the title, assumed its meaning, and are now gloating over something you have no freaking clue over! :eek: Hahahaha! :rolls:

Too funny! Keep it up, girl. You making an ass out of yourself if always a blast to watch. :haha:

:haha: WyverN, don't be scared! Come baaaaack!
Actually, I read the thread. I even posted in it. If you had read it, perhaps you would know that?

Knowing the contents of the thread only makes you look like more of an idiot.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 03:50 AM

Few brain cells. No other options.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 03:53 AM
Thanks Tennis Lurker, but if you go back to the beginning, you'll see that it was Queenie who hurled the personal insults first and I was simply defending myself, which I will always do against judgemental asswipes like herself.
Please. It is not my fault that you are stupid.

*Ljubica*
01-29-2004, 05:31 AM
David was polite and answered the questions put to him - speaking in a language other than his own, which I imagine a lot of people here could not do. As Undomiele said - where's the drama?

Fee
01-29-2004, 06:24 AM
Getting back to the original topic of this thread...

ASAP transcripts only publishes the English part of post match interviews. They do not translate non-English parts of the sessions. It's a shame really, especially in the case of the Masters Cup. Since there was so little American press there, the Spanish, French and German language interviews were actually longer and had better content. And Roger Federer apparently answered all questions in all of the languages he spoke and tried to answer every question for every reporter that had one.

So, David doesn't deserve to be knocked for these interviews. He does a heck of a lot better than I would do trying to speak French.

lsy
01-29-2004, 06:33 AM
It really isn't easy to answers questions thrown to you in a language other than your own. First you got to understand it, then you got to think the answers in your own language and then try to translate into another and come up with the anwers. Worst of all, it normally comes out different from what you intended it to be. I experienced that a lot while studying in a foreign country. As a result, most times you just try to keep the answers short, which sometimes will lead to people misunderstood you as unfriendly.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 06:53 AM
Totally agree Isy

what pisses me off is when reporters know a player is not very fluent in english yet they still ask questions that require rather complicated answers

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 06:57 AM
Also the journalists sometimes talk too quickly, and after a 3hr match, it isn't easy to think about answering questions in a language that is foreign to the player.

Lee
01-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Totally agree Isy

what pisses me off is when reporters know a player is not very fluent in english yet they still ask questions that require rather complicated answers

Also the journalists sometimes talk too quickly, and after a 3hr match, it isn't easy to think about answering questions in a language that is foreign to the player.

As we know from so many interview transcripts, most reporters are idiots.

J. Corwin
01-29-2004, 08:22 AM
And reporters have been known to ask rather pointed questions.

undomiele
01-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Wow, kudos to you guys for making intelligent conversation and great points out of an originally stupid 1st post... ;)

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Pfft! :haha: What'd I tell you? Typical crybaby, whiny Nalbandian. "I lost! Leave me alone! Waaaaa!" :baby:

You're a stupid ass, you know it? At least he didn't act like Roddick when he lost to Henman in Paris. How's that for mature.

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Actually, Tangerine IS the moron. Not that another one like yourself would be able to figure that out, Star.

Is a poll in order over here?

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Totally agree Isy

My thoughts exactly, WyverN. These reporters talk over the players' heads as if they understand what was said. Then, the player has to think about it and answer in the best English they know how-which can be difficult if you are accustomed to putting your ideas together in another language.

Fumus
01-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Hey Queenie leave Tangy alone! That's my home-girl!

Look, Dave was just a little sore about his loss...I know you like Nalbandian and he's one of my favorite players right now. He's also one of the few guys on the tour that can beat Federer while he's hot. Plus he's probably the best looking/coolest guy on the tour.

All that aside, you can't let those things blind you. He's got an ego and you can see that in the interview. Just accept that, don't criticize others for pointing it out.

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 07:11 PM
What does having the occasional "less than cheerful" interview have to do with having an ego? Damn, you all love to make such sweeping statements about all the players....come on, people, get a life...

amethyst
01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
I can see nothing wrong in the things Nalbandian said. He might not be eloquent, but he admitted that Federer was better so what´s the "whining" about it?????

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey Queenie leave Tangy alone! That's my home-girl!

Look, Dave was just a little sore about his loss...I know you like Nalbandian and he's one of my favorite players right now. He's also one of the few guys on the tour that can beat Federer while he's hot. Plus he's probably the best looking/coolest guy on the tour.

All that aside, you can't let those things blind you. He's got an ego and you can see that in the interview. Just accept that, don't criticize others for pointing it out.
When have I ever indicated that he does not have an ego?

*hates responding to things that are apparently replies to things she never said*

*Ljubica*
01-29-2004, 07:28 PM
I can see nothing wrong in the things Nalbandian said. He might not be eloquent, but he admitted that Federer was better so what´s the "whining" about it?????

Exactly amethyst, - I guess there are just certain bitter people on this Board (no names mentioned!), who take a childish delight in slagging David off at every opportunity - guess it's because they're scared of how well he plays against "their" players :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Exactly amethyst, - I guess there are just certain bitter people on this Board (no names mentioned!), who take a childish delight in slagging David off at every opportunity - guess it's because they're scared of how well he plays against "their" players :rolleyes:
Indeed.

Don't forget the part about how they project their sad, pathetic, bitter feelings on to me ;)

Fumus
01-29-2004, 07:31 PM
When have I ever indicated that he does not have an ego?

*hates responding to things that are apparently replies to things she never said*

Oh-alright, that understood, I guess this something between you and her then not and something about the thread?

Just take it easy alright, this is tennis forum not a bar or sumtin' you don't need to call names and put people down like that, just agree to disagree and move on...

p.s.
I like Peanut Butter and I like Nalbandian...mmhhh....PB&J time to eat...

*Ljubica*
01-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Indeed.

Don't forget the part about how they project their sad, pathetic, bitter feelings on to me ;)

They certainly seem to - what did you ever do to upset them :(

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 07:39 PM
You're a stupid ass, you know it? At least he didn't act like Roddick when he lost to Henman in Paris. How's that for mature.

See, now, this is counter-productive. It's difficult to respect your point when you deride someone for saying something you don't like and then turn around and do the exact same thing. Everyone has their moments when they lose a tough match and we can go around in circles with this for almost every player on tour, because everyone has a bad day and it just so happens that right when they get off the court after a tough loss, they're forced to enter a room full of media and cameras. Even of those who viscerally dislike Andy, many of them will admit that Andy is a gracious loser who always credits his opponents, etc. He might get angry at himself and bang his racket around and look like a moron, but he's a gracious and classy loser. I saw the match to which you are referring, and I read the post-match interview and aside from his outbursts, which came from anger at his OWN poor play, it was the typically gracious Andy when it came to his esteemed opponent (In fact, without looking at the press conference, I recall Andy saying something to the effect of Tim being really underrated... that's not something an immature loser would say after a really tough loss).

Anyway... tangy babe, I understand your motivations... but perhaps it's time to give it up?

Fumus
01-29-2004, 07:45 PM
See, now, this is counter-productive. It's difficult to respect your point when you deride someone for saying something you don't like and then turn around and do the exact same thing. Everyone has their moments when they lose a tough match and we can go around in circles with this for almost every player on tour, because everyone has a bad day and it just so happens that right when they get off the court after a tough loss, they're forced to enter a room full of media and cameras. Even of those who viscerally dislike Andy, many of them will admit that Andy is a gracious loser who always credits his opponents, etc. He might get angry at himself and bang his racket around and look like a moron, but he's a gracious and classy loser. I saw the match to which you are referring, and I read the post-match interview and aside from his outbursts, which came from anger at his OWN poor play, it was the typically gracious Andy when it came to his esteemed opponent (In fact, without looking at the press conference, I recall Andy saying something to the effect of Tim being really underrated... that's not something an immature loser would say after a really tough loss).

Anyway... tangy babe, I understand your motivations... but perhaps it's time to give it up?

I second that..

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 07:48 PM

Hee! I'm not "afraid" of your Nalby, Rosie, I just like to pick on him, you know that! He is a good player but he has a lousy attitude, both on and off the court. That's just my opinion. And admit it: my comments about him are nothing compared to the invective hatred that my favorite player(s) seem to illicit on these boards simply by having the gall to exist in the first place. :eek: :bolt:

But as is typical of the double-standards in GM, everybody else gets a free pass to bash, whereas others are supposed to just shut up and take it, aren't we? ;)

Anyways, no hard feelings and cheers to you. :hatoff:

I did, bunkie. A long time ago. :)

*Ljubica*
01-29-2004, 07:56 PM

Sorry bunk - don't want to get into an argument, but I was at the Henman/Roddick match in Paris Bercy and also saw Andy afterwards - both at the venue and at the Hotel where he and I both happened to be staying. And sorry - he may say the right things in Press Conferences but he is cetainly NOT a gracious loser when the cameras stop rolling. I know that he is young and entitled to a bad day (everyone has them), and I also know that he does a lot of good work for charity and for children which is highly commendable - but the boy needs to grow up a lot on and off the court in my opinion and from my own experiences of him.

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Hee! I'm not "afraid" of your Nalby, Rosie, I just like to pick on him, you know that! He is a good player but he has a lousy attitude, both on and off the court.

Have you met him off-court, Tangy, to justify making that assertion?

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 08:01 PM
I just wonder what he did to you personally, tangy, to make you angry? Care to explain?

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 08:03 PM
I just wonder what he did to you personally, tangy, to make you angry? Care to explain?

Huh? :confused: Who is angry?

BTW, what did Andy Roddick do to you personally to make you hate him so much? :shrug:

*Ljubica*
01-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Have you met him off-court, Tangy, to justify making that assertion?

Great minds think alike - I was about to post the same thing :) Well, as you know I have met him and spoken to him many times - and yes, - he has a temper which shows on court sometimes (many players do), but off court he is one of the nicest, most charming, pleasant, humourous people I have ever had the pleasure to meet :)

But Tangy - thanks for the "no hard feelings" - and to you too!

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey, I don't hate Roddick; I am not a fan of Roddick, OK. Do you understand now? Good...

But, you on the other hand, do hate David. What did he do, stub your toe or something? Damn, you seem to enjoy hating David more than liking Roddick. If you spent the energy that you put into hating David into liking Roddick, then you'd be much happier.

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Hey, I don't hate Roddick; I am not a fan of Roddick, OK. Do you understand now? Good...
But, you on the other hand, do hate David. What did he do, stub your toe or something? Damn, you seem to enjoy hating David more than liking Roddick. If you spent the energy that you put into hating David into liking Roddick, then you'd be much happier.

Sorry sigmagirl, but I don't "hate" David, as I've said many times before. :rolleyes:

And I hardly spend nearly as much time dissing my non-favorite players as everybody else spends their energy hating Roddick. Why don't you go off and scold them, hmm? You must've missed all those anti-Roddick threads from just a day ago. Feel free to go dig up any anti-Nalbandian threads that I (or anybody else) started. You'll come up with zip.

Cheers to you, too.

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Tangy, you still haven't explained why you hate David so much. At least I can say that I'm not a fan of Roddick.
I just see where you comment on his looks or his lack of command of the English language (some people-even the ones for whom English is a first language-have that problem, so David is not in the minority), but nothing substantial enough to warrant any deep explanation about. So, please offer something substantial here, not some trifling-ass missive about "he beat my favorite player" or "I don't like his hair", ok, because I am not interested in dealing with generalities such as those....

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Sorry sigmagirl, but I don't "hate" David, as I've said many times before. :rolleyes:

And I hardly spend nearly as much time dissing my non-favorite players as everybody else spends their energy hating Roddick. Why don't you go off and scold them, hmm? You must've missed all those anti-Roddick threads from just a day ago. Feel free to go dig up any anti-Nalbandian threads that I (or anybody else) started. You'll come up with zip.

Cheers to you, too.

Tangy, this is pretty close. If you didn't start the thread, then you are contributing quite heavily to it...

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 08:17 PM
Sorry bunk - don't want to get into an argument, but I was at the Henman/Roddick match in Paris Bercy and also saw Andy afterwards - both at the venue and at the Hotel where he and I both happened to be staying. And sorry - he may say the right things in Press Conferences but he is cetainly NOT a gracious loser when the cameras stop rolling. I know that he is young and entitled to a bad day (everyone has them), and I also know that he does a lot of good work for charity and for children which is highly commendable - but the boy needs to grow up a lot on and off the court in my opinion and from my own experiences of him.

Well I find it quite different the way someone acts in a press conference and privately (and I would consider his hotel to be a private place for him, in terms of being outside media scrutiny). If he's really as immature as you suggest, he wouldn't even be able to put on the game face in the interviews. Plus, it's all perspective. Personally if I saw a player after a tough loss and he was grumpy, I wouldn't think anything of it, in fact I'd be shocked to see otherwise quite frankly, and I say this going for Andy or David or any other player whether he's a fave or not. What I'm trying to say is that I see a big difference in the way a person acts in front of the press and when they're expected to be gregarious, and when they're away from cameras. If you think what a player says in their interview when there are certain expectations and what they do in more private settings are the same thing, then that's your perogative.

I didn't even have a problem with anything David said, but yeah... my argument still stands that you (not you, Rosie, the collective) can't get upset at someone saying something about David's interview and then go turn around and diss Andy.

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Bunk, you're right. But starting threads like this contributes to the player-hating (excuse my pun) atmosphere that is already in effect on this whole board in general.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 08:27 PM
I completely agree. you'll have to talk to the person who started the thread about that. :shrug:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 08:29 PM

There is no sense reasoning with a hypocrite... who also happens to be an immature idiot.

It's okay to be an immature hypocrite... if you own up to it ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 08:31 PM
They certainly seem to - what did you ever do to upset them :(
It was likely the part where I called her an idiot about 600 times. Idiots don't like to be told they are idiots, I've learned.

Glad that I can contribute to this thread positively just as everybody is making up ;)

*Ljubica*
01-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Well I find it quite different the way someone acts in a press conference and privately (and I would consider his hotel to be a private place for him, in terms of being outside media scrutiny). If he's really as immature as you suggest, he wouldn't even be able to put on the game face in the interviews. Plus, it's all perspective. Personally if I saw a player after a tough loss and he was grumpy, I wouldn't think anything of it, in fact I'd be shocked to see otherwise quite frankly, and I say this going for Andy or David or any other player whether he's a fave or not. What I'm trying to say is that I see a big difference in the way a person acts in front of the press and when they're expected to be gregarious, and when they're away from cameras. If you think what a player says in their interview when there are certain expectations and what they do in more private settings are the same thing, then that's your perogative.

I didn't even have a problem with anything David said, but yeah... my argument still stands that you (not you, Rosie, the collective) can't get upset at someone saying something about David's interview and then go turn around and diss Andy.

I personally believe that the way a person behaves away from the public eye is proof of what they are really like, - ie. you can put on an act and be all "sweetness and light" in a press conference which is your job and what you are paid to do - but if you are rude to Hotel staff, drivers, fellow guests whatever - then in my opinion you are not a very nice person. That , as you say, is my opinion and my prerogative to think that way, just as you and every other person here has a right to your own opinions.

As for David's interview - I have heard that his Spanish language interview was completely different, much longer and more light-hearted, but of course we rarely get the chance to see/hear these.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 08:38 PM
I personally believe that the way a person behaves away from the public eye is proof of what they are really like, - ie. you can put on an act and be all "sweetness and light" in a press conference which is your job and what you are paid to do - but if you are rude to Hotel staff, drivers, fellow guests whatever - then in my opinion you are not a very nice person. That , as you say, is my opinion and my prerogative to think that way, just as you and every other person here has a right to your own opinions.

I guess it's the way I see it b/c it's what I do. not be rude to people per se, but put on a good face in front of people and only my closest friends tend to know what I'm really feeling. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd rather have someone put on a face and be mature in public and have their private moments to freak out than someone who might be ok in private and look like a total ass in front of the public (though... I can really only think of one or two players that does that, but it is why I'm not fans of them lol.). That's just my personal preference. And I'm sure it's not just Andy who is like that sometimes, I'd venture to guess that almost every player after some really tough loss or another took it out on some people who didn't deserve it. And I'm sure Andy's not always like that, either.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Oh-alright, that understood, I guess this something between you and her then not and something about the thread?

Just take it easy alright, this is tennis forum not a bar or sumtin' you don't need to call names and put people down like that, just agree to disagree and move on...

p.s.
I like Peanut Butter and I like Nalbandian...mmhhh....PB&J time to eat...
haha... yeah, Peanut Butter is alright ;)

I am relaxed... thanks for the concern, though :cool:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Relaxed, but restless... I haven't been able to go out much this week, and had to miss class today because I can't put very much weight on my foot without the joint acting up :(

I think it's tenonitis or something.... you know, a realy injury; not like the kind that Kim and Ferrero have ;)

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
oh no Becca that sucks.... did you do something to injure it or did it just start hurting? One of my friends got a stress fracture in her foot from running too much so she had to stop running and it's driving her crazy.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 08:52 PM
oh no Becca that sucks.... did you do something to injure it or did it just start hurting? One of my friends got a stress fracture in her foot from running too much so she had to stop running and it's driving her crazy.
I don't know what happened. It just started hurting last week in the big toe, and the pain has worked it's way down to the inner ball of my foot. I have it taped up and try to keep shoes on, because walking barefoot is painful. It has been getting worse by the day. I'll go to the doctor tomorrow, since I have to go downtown to get a bus out of here anyways.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 09:32 PM
omg ouch... well I hope it's nothing serious!

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Hey, I warned her not to step on my toes ... ;)

Ma. Estefania
01-29-2004, 10:00 PM
As for David's interview - I have heard that his Spanish language interview was completely different, much longer and more light-hearted, but of course we rarely get the chance to see/hear these.

Yes, it's true.

When I read his interview in English I also perceived that he was sort of annoyed, etc., I even commented it on one of his threads at the forum; but after watching his interviews in Spanish to some argentine sports journalists, he was calm and talked not a lot, but he explained much better all the things that he was asked.

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Wouldn't you be annoyed, too, if you were asked the same dumb-ass questions day after day? I know I would. These journalists lack originality, I think.
And, to the person who said that they didn't like David's on-court demeanor, who the hell goes on court without their game face on? Puhleeeeeeeeze, people.....try something else, OK?

Leo
01-29-2004, 10:14 PM
huge seles fan... aren't you a lindsay fan and post over at wtaworld... i think yur the same person, lol... same leo-- but u have #s on wtaworld.

no idea what happened to him actually. most posters have been on wtaworld.... and every once in a while there's another one that i see that looks familiar that must have been from gotennis.

but i'm still missing a whole lotta seles fans that i haven't talked to in a while.

Yep, I'm the same Leo from gotennis and wtaworld. I think I used to post in Monica's forum over there, but now I just post on GM. I don't even go into Lindsay's forum anymore.

Leo
01-29-2004, 10:18 PM
LOL all these gotennis anecdotes are bringing back memories. what a bizarre board that is. haven't been there in many months

I remember DayHovah, he was really funny sometimes. and then he stopped posting.

He died while playing tennis. :sad: His friend posted a memorial friend for him last summer, I think it was. Apparently Dayhovah had a weak heart. Really a tragedy. We didn't get along at all on the board, him being a Williams fan and all, but he was so clever and witty and a really great guy.

Leo
01-29-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm rubber and you're glue?

Wow, that was clever.

Whatever will she come up with next? Where is Leo when I need some work on my playground fighting techiniques?

I shall teach you well, my young grasshopper. :bounce:

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 10:25 PM
He died while playing tennis. :sad: His friend posted a memorial friend for him last summer, I think it was. Apparently Dayhovah had a weak heart. Really a tragedy. We didn't get along at all on the board, him being a Williams fan and all, but he was so clever and witty and a really great guy.
omG im so sorry to hear that... i had no idea.

Leo
01-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Relaxed, but restless... I haven't been able to go out much this week, and had to miss class today because I can't put very much weight on my foot without the joint acting up :(

I think it's tenonitis or something.... you know, a realy injury; not like the kind that Kim and Ferrero have ;)

:lol: Kim's "injury" made me laugh. I guess Justine has taught her a few valuable lessons.

MisterQ
01-30-2004, 01:43 AM

:sad: :sad: :sad:

thanks for letting us know, Leo.

lsy
01-30-2004, 02:04 AM
I guess it's the way I see it b/c it's what I do. not be rude to people per se, but put on a good face in front of people and only my closest friends tend to know what I'm really feeling. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd rather have someone put on a face and be mature in public and have their private moments to freak out than someone who might be ok in private and look like a total ass in front of the public (though... I can really only think of one or two players that does that, but it is why I'm not fans of them lol.). That's just my personal preference. And I'm sure it's not just Andy who is like that sometimes, I'd venture to guess that almost every player after some really tough loss or another took it out on some people who didn't deserve it. And I'm sure Andy's not always like that, either.

Hi Bunk, Interesting discussion from both you and Rosie. I agree to a certain externt from both of you. But how would you define public? How about shouting abuse/calling names at umpire and linesmen during matches? Is that considered in public? I will think so since not just the live audiences are watching but millions of tv viewers too. That's the reason I can never appreciate players who do that on court. At least I haven't heard David calling the umpires names other than arguing with them. Maybe I'm biase since I appreciate David's tennis more. I hate it as much when he argue or whine non stop on court, but I also admire his courage of venting his anger in Houston so directly while other players diplomaticallly won't do. Just my opinion here.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2004, 02:39 AM
No one here has said they like it when Andy freaks out on umpires. I certainly wish he wouldn't, for MANY reasons. As a fan, it's frustrating because Andy happens to have amazing eyes - every call he made a face about during the Safin match, he was correct, even though he didn't say a word until the 5th or 6th one. And the Andy of a year or two ago would probably have spazzed on every one of them, so that's a big improvement in my eyes.

At the same time, his behavior towards umps doesn't make him a bad/sore/ungracious loser, which was the topic of the discussion originally, but this one is an interesting discussion as well so anyway...

I don't like it when he swears and stuff at umpires and is disrespectful, but I have no problem when he comes up with something humorous (for example during the Safin match when the ump said "I couldn't see" and Andy said "but you're supposed to see for a living!") I don't have a problem with things like that. He's not the first, he's definitely not the worst, and he won't be the last. Plus, he's a young loud kid and he's getting better in that department. As a critical fan, I expect him to keep growing up and hopefully mostly grow out of this phase.

But the thing also is that I've read a few quotes from umps who say things like "he always apologizes afterwards and is nice is can be" etc...so I don't know. I see Andy as just one of those hyper-competitive types who gets caught up in the moment and doesn't even really think about it when he's out there. I've read a few interviews where people have asked him about stuff he said to the umps and he doesn't even remember! Not that this makes it acceptable behavior, it doesn't, but take it for whatever you want I guess. I guess I just accept it as part of him and who he is and what makes him unique. Johnny Mac is probably best known for "You Cannot be serious!!" even though he's also one of the most talented players ever... so I guess for me, it's a little bit of Andy's charm (when he's not being disrespectful, I mean.), it's exciting and fun to me to see him get so into it. Even when he's up 2 sets and a break at like 30-0 serving for the set, he gets mad at himself if he misses a shot and I love that competitive fire about him. So if it's the same fire that produces sometimes inappropriate things to umps, I am able to accept that. If others are not, then of course I think that's too bad, but, so be it.

Back to the issue of demeanor AFTER losing (or winning, I suppose), it just boils down to a matter of personal preference. I prefer someone who is gracious around the press. If I like a player, I'd like that person to have a good reputation for being kind to the victor/loser, etc. I guess the idea of the person being grumpy when the cameras are off and the journalists gone doesn't really bother me because I guess I feel like we're all like that to some extent. I'm sure I've been in a bad mood and taken it out on the wrong people before, probably tons of times. What I'm saying is that if you told me about ANY player who'd just lost in a TMS Semifinal 6-7 6-7 or whatever was NOT grumpy to everyone he saw, I'd be shocked LOL!

And I would never like or dislike a player because of the way he/she loses. Yes, one of the reasons why I like people like Andy and Andre is because they are always gracious in their press conferences and also at the handshake and always have something nice to say, but I wouldn't dislike them if that were not the case.... if this makes sense.

lsy
01-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Why I made that post was to point out to you that you had said before you really like Andy coz he's emotions is out there, he shows his anger, frustrations everything in the court...whereas now you're saying that you'd rather to have someone to put on a face and be mature in public...pretty contradicting... ;)

But anyway can I just sum up all of what you had just written as everybody is undeniable bias coming to accepting/forgiving their favourites? We'll almost always prefer to see their good parts and more willing to forgo the bad ones. ya??? No??? That's what I was trying to establish. It's so meaningless to sometimes argue/defend our favourites by trying to make logical/sensible points, coz most times we aren't...maybe some really mature minority will, I don't know. I know I can't and I'm certainly bias towards Federer.

I hope you won't think that I'm always picking on you Bunk ;), I did that because 1) many other posts here don't even have any points to argue about 2) other posters are too aggressive and I'm scare :bolt: 3) I haven't watched enough tennis to argue on technical part of it (but just wait, I'll be in 5 years time and I'll be throwing statistics and history everywhere like WyverN can), so I can only try on other aspects 4) You're a LOYAL Andy fan...no kidding... :wavey:

Deboogle!.
01-30-2004, 03:39 AM
I'm sure you're right to a point, we want to see what we want to see. We're humans and that's how it works lol And this is esoteric stuff so it's hard for me to explain the differences I see. But since I'm bored and have nothing to do, I'll give it a shot ;)

I hate it when Andy gets ANGRY and acts like a dolt. But, I like it when he pumps his fist and tells himself to "focus" and harmless stuff like that, I like it when he's up 2-0 sets and serving for the match at 30-0 and still makes a face at himself when he makes errors because it shows his spirit. There are some players out there who only appear to give 50% if that's all they have to give. I like that Andy almost always gives 110% no matter how big he's winning.

To me, there are two different things being discussed here, and they are mutually exclusive. On-court/during match demeanor and one off-court/post match demeanor (and then, we have two further distinctions - "public" and "private").

I'll be general, so that I can't be accused of being blinded by Andy-fandom. I like it when players get pumped up on court, when they feed off the crowd, when they wear their hearts on their sleeve (and players do this in many different ways. Someone like Sampras, for example, was quiet about it but you still knew what he was feeling). I do NOT like it when players throw their rackets, swear at umps, disrespect the other player (or the crowd!), etc. So that's on-court stuff and there are definitely lines that I don't think should be crossed, and I don't like it when players I like do cross. To me there is a big difference between showing emotions and taking it too far. Players like Andy and, say, Lleyton, take it too far sometimes (such as Lleyton's CMOONNNNNNNNNNN after an opponent's double fault. I mean that's not cool). And when it gets to that point I do not like it anymore, I yell at the TV and tell them to shut up and calm down. lol

So, I see the on-court behavior and post-match behavior as totally separate. There are people that are fine on court who act like TOTAL ASSES in their press conferences. There are people who can be total asses on court and totally cool in press-conferences. There are players that are always totally cool (see: Federer) and people that are always asses (can't think of anyone at the moment off the top of my head lol).

What I am trying to say is that I believe you can like someone to show their on-court emotion AND want them to be cordial in defeat in their interviews. For me, the biggest difference is who the energy is pointed towards. When Andy shows his emotions on court (except when he freaks out on umps which I've already established I don't like anyway), the energy is at HIMSELF. Maybe he's acting like an immature baby, if that's how some people want to see it, but it's to himself. When he yells "FOCUS" it's at himself, etc., it doesn't affect anyone else.

In a press-conference, however, if someone is being a jerk in their interview (whether it's to the opponent, to the tournament organizers, to the host nation), the energy is to someone else and it's in public, and I'm just not a big fan of public disrespect. I'm all about saying what's on your mind, but I don't like it when people air their dirty laundry in public, again that's just my personal preference and it has nothing to do with tennis.

So to sum up my thesis here, I don't think the two things compete with each other. As for favorites and ignoring things that you don't like, well it's a matter of the fact that the few things that Andy does that I don't like are #1 not the things that would push me towards disliking someone, and #2 the things I do like by far outweigh the things I do not. So I don't ignore things he does that bother me, but they're just not enough to make me want to dislike him, if that makes sense.

And I don't know, I do think that at least some level of objectivity is possible, for most of us anyway ;) I mean yes, I will favor my fave players just as you will favor yours. But when Andy does something stupid, I'll say so, when he plays like crap, I say so, etc. And there are plenty of people on this board who do the same thing :)

lsy
01-30-2004, 04:17 AM
...To me there is a big difference between showing emotions and taking it too far...

...In a press-conference, however, if someone is being a jerk in their interview (whether it's to the opponent, to the tournament organizers, to the host nation), the energy is to someone else and it's in public, and I'm just not a big fan of public disrespect. I'm all about saying what's on your mind, but I don't like it when people air their dirty laundry in public, again that's just my personal preference and it has nothing to do with tennis.

Well, you're bored, and I'm getting nervous so I guess we still can go on here... ;) I agree the huge difference between showing emotions and being disrespectful, I believe I made that exact point in another thread about this prevously. So there you go, you like Andy so you see more of his emotions part on court, whereas I see more of his disrespectful calling names to umpires/linesmen coz like you I hate people disrespecting others, calling others stupid names while thinking that's creative to me is totally immature. And that behaviour is certainlly directing to "someone else" and it's in public too!!!

If there's any difference between press-conference or on court probably on court is more real whereas in press-conference, you have time to compose yourself. I wouldn't even argue which is worse really, to be disrespectful on court or press-conference, coz both are the same to me. By the way, which players act like total ass in press conference? I know one who had said something out of his line of course, but who else? I hope you don't mean Roger giving his honest comments about the court condition in his interview as one :p ?

Deboogle!.
01-30-2004, 04:27 AM
I think Roger was just complaining about the court to throw everyone off ;) No seriously, that's not the kind of comment I was referring to. I mean it might've been nice for him to talk to the tournament people privately (and perhaps he did) but it's not like he was saying something about a particular person.

About Andy and what he says to umps/linespeople... well I already said I don't like it when he does that lol so I don't know what you want me to say. All I said is that this one aspect of his personality is not enough to outweigh all the things I do like about him. But yes I still yell at him to stop when he does it lol

I disagree about what is a person's "real" personality. I think they're both part of who a person is. Andy is fiery and competitive on court and calm and low-key off court. It's just two aspects of his personality. When I go to a concert I dance and act crazy and stuff, but that's not really me, I'm not like that every day. I mean we all have personality aspects that show in certain circumstances. Tennis players are no different :)

Clara Bow
01-30-2004, 04:37 AM
Just wanted to comment on the thoughts being tossed around about being gracious/a person's demeanor during press conferences.

It has been said before in this thread, I do think that it is always important to keep in perspective that some of the international players are not always 100% comfortable speaking in English, and that may sometimes appear to be gruffness in press conference that is conducted in English (a language that is not their native tongue). I really think that this is the case with Nalbandian and some other players. (Unfortunately, not all of the international players are as comfortable in English as someone like Safin.) So sometimes it is a case of apples and oranges when comparing press conferences conducted in English amoung players who are native speakers versus those who are not as comfortable in the language. I try to keep that in mind when reading/seeing interviews with players who are not speaking in thier first language. Heck, I know that when I am speaking to my boyfriend's parents (who are from Mexico) in Spanish, I sometimes do not get my point through as I really intended.

I think Andy gives great, witty press conferences, but it is likely that he may not be able to convey his humor,etc. if he had to conduct an entire interview in Spanish or French. The same may be true of some of the international players.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2004, 04:40 AM
So sometimes it is a case of apples and oranges when comparing press conferences conducted in English amoung players who are native speakers versus those who are not as comfortable in the language.

oh for sure!!!! I think most of us are in total agreement about that :)

oh and Clara Bow I see you're new here so, welcome! :wavey:

lsy
01-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Well nothing, you had said more than enough. Yes you got what I want to say "he's your favourite, so even though you dislike disrespectul acts, you're willing to see that as part of him and outweight it with other good things". To put it in my words on my second post "we almost always see more the good things than the bad for our favourites...". Simple as that. But you came out with that whole discussion about the differece about on court and press conference, so since I'm nervous, I guess it allows me to shift my mind away by continuing in this discussion that's going no way :)

By the way, it'll be nice too if JimMac had been sensible enough to talk about his unhappiness with that comment with Roger nicely instead of storming into the players' lounge and screamed and shouted at him, or acted like a fool in court after that and in the ceremony. And why I like Roger? He just let his game do the talking after that. Maturity that's what I called.

Clara Bow
01-30-2004, 04:54 AM
I disagree about what is a person's "real" personality. I think they're both part of who a person is. Andy is fiery and competitive on court and calm and low-key off court. It's just two aspects of his personality. When I go to a concert I dance and act crazy and stuff, but that's not really me, I'm not like that every day. I mean we all have personality aspects that show in certain circumstances. Tennis players are no different

I totally agree. People don't necessarily act the same, for instance, at work as they do when they are out with friends, I imagine the same is true for athletes. And competion can bring out very particular aspects of a personality - I know several people who are wonderful sweet people who turn into raging idiots when they make a bad shoot when playing pool at a bar or they are playing a game like Pictionary with their spouse who does not understand what they are drawing.

That is one of the the things that actually makes tennis so great, the fact that it is really one of the only sports where you can see two (or four) people on the court for sometimes several hours, with no helmets, team mates, etc. to shield their emotions from the crowd. That's what makes watching tennis so fun sometimes, seeing all of that craziness out there!
Sorry for all of the Off Topic discussion in my post(s)...I will go back to lurking...

Deboogle!.
01-30-2004, 04:58 AM
I'm really bad about making my points concicely :o makes editing my papers a bitch lol. I don't know if it's so much that we ignore the things our faves do that we don't like as different things bother us (or appeal to us!) more. For example, it just means more to me that Andy is gracious to his opponents both in person and in the press conference than the way he acts towards umps. If it really bothered me (to the point where I'd dislike a player over it), I wouldn't like many of my current (and all-time!) faves. It's like yea I wish they wouldn't do it, but it's not something that's that important to me. And I can't explain why that's how my preferences fall lol

As for Mattress Mac well he's a lost cause and everyone knows it (not just the tennis world lol). That's a horse we've beaten to death many times and that man's never gonna change, so yeah. lol. Try living in Houston and seeing his face and voice plastered everywhere. I mean I ultimately think he's a good guy who cares about tennis and is just over(t)ly patriotic, but I can see how he could be extremely offensive to some people (even though he had nothing to do with the actual court that was used for TMC lol).

and yes Clara Bow, that is exactly what I meant :)

lsy
01-30-2004, 05:09 AM
haha, bunk me too...maybe it's just the women thing.

Well see, I'm a loyal Federer fan, while he'd probably happily gone home with that million dollar cheque and title, forgetting about what had happened, I'm still here being angry about that...

lsy
01-30-2004, 05:11 AM
and Hi Clara! Why do you want to go back lurking now? The fierce and aggressive posters are not here yet...

Clara Bow
01-30-2004, 05:28 AM
Thanks bunk and lsy for the hellos...and lsy, I have to go back to lurking because I need to go to bed soon...and participation in a forum will keep me up. :)

I must say, as a person trapped in (American) football county, how nice it has been to discover a forum to discuss tennis where people actually know who the players are!

lsy
01-30-2004, 05:32 AM
well I feel almost the same from where I'm from clara, nobody around me watch any tennis...which is basically why I'm here actually.

and wow...you actually got my "name" right.

Well, goodnight, hope to see you here again!

Deboogle!.
01-30-2004, 01:39 PM
I must say, as a person trapped in (American) football county, how nice it has been to discover a forum to discuss tennis where people actually know who the players are!

hahaha! that's the way many of us feel!!

star
01-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Guga's English is completley mangled, but he manages to give funny and graceful press conferences.

But then that is only one of the ways in which Guga is extra special :)

sigmagirl91
01-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey, star, I liked Guga from jump, and I think he's a very witty and entertaining player....

Ma. Estefania
01-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Guga's English is completley mangled, but he manages to give funny and graceful press conferences.

But then that is only one of the ways in which Guga is extra special :)

Yes, definitely, he's special, he manages to do that in Spanish too, and isn't that easy though Spanish and Portuguese are very similar. :)

Anyway it isn't easy because many times at a certain language there are already like special phrases or words like to be funny, and many times if you don't know them and you try to translate just word by word, believe me, it doesn't work. ;)

nobody around me watch any tennis...which is basically why I'm here actually.

Good to know many more people feels like that....I'm just another one of that group. :)

sigmagirl91
01-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Guga's English is completley mangled,

Then again, so is the English of many people who live here in the States-especially the people who live around me....

Lala186
01-31-2004, 01:39 PM
shut up tangerine_dream you are a stupid. i know david and he is a great guy!!
i told him about your comments on this board.