How Much Topspin Do You Put On Your Shots? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How Much Topspin Do You Put On Your Shots?

ticktockclok
07-24-2006, 06:34 AM
I started taking private lessons recently, and my instructor has been revamping my game to make basically every shot heavy topspin. Basically, the levels are numbered Deltoid 1, 2, 3, and at each level, you go farther with your followthrough till you get the complete stroke. I've really improved my forehand, but my backhand needs some polishing. He has me stick my elbow out really far in the preparation and the whole stroke. Its dead annoying, but (un)fortunately, it works. ;)

Patrick_Steele
07-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Not a lot, I am much better at slice shots.

Hawkman
07-25-2006, 06:13 PM
I hit with a fair amount of Top Spin as I get closer to the net, say when pouncing on a short ball, but tend to hit flat from the baseline. I guess it depends on the shot at he time.

Dusteel
07-26-2006, 06:46 AM
I use the top spin when it really feel comfortable with the ball (in the space between knees and waist) you can control the point with it, less spin in defensive hits makes people run forward to the ball and with heavier spin makes people get unbalanced... some like that

GugaRocksMySocks
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
I hit both my forehand and my backhand pretty flat, im trying to work on putting some more topspin on them but yeah...im working on it!!!

Kimmi
07-27-2006, 09:11 AM
I do my forehand with a lot of spin. actually cause I learned it that way in my lessons...
Backhand is little bit more flat.

Breakaway
07-28-2006, 08:50 AM
My forehand has a lot more than my backhand. For some reason I have a pretty big western grip. However, if I am little off or nervous I tend to add more to my backhand. But per usual my forehand has a lot, backhand pretty flat.

andys_gurl
08-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I pile on the top spin as i like to hit my shots pretty deep and consitant.
If im going for a winnder from the back of the court i normally then like to flatten out my shots. But if i get nearer the net for an aproach shot i have to put more spin on.
I find my forehand to be my stronger shot.

mcpon
08-23-2006, 09:04 AM
forehand - I try to put a lot of topspin on it. I can't topspin with my backhand. I'm a beginner.

bearingbreaker92
08-26-2006, 02:23 AM
I usually hit with heavy topspin on my forehand, which im trying to remove. It causes most of my shots to land on or before the service line. I use and extreme western, which is making it very difficult to hit it deep. In fact i went to a tennis camp, and worked with a pro there, said he's never seen someone with more topspin.

On my one hand backhand i use a western grip and slam the ball if its in a a strikezone between my hips and knees, actually goes deep and is a very good shot.

If the ball is higher than that ill usually hit a flat backhand, or use a deep slice if its low.