Why aren't the men's SF played on the same day? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why aren't the men's SF played on the same day?

jenglisbe
01-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Isn't the AO the only major that does this? Why? Not only is it inconsistent, but I would think a major wouldn't want only 1 big singles match played (as will happen on Friday, while there are 3 majors matches on Thursday).

mrpenguin
01-28-2004, 06:09 PM
I guess there's too many ppl want to see the sf, so they spread it over two days which is nice!
They are also playing every second day including sunday which is very reasonable to give players a rest day (unlike wimbledon where they screw up consitently because of rain)

jenglisbe
01-28-2004, 06:13 PM
mrpenguin - Yes, but this way 1 male finalist gets 2 days of rest while the other only gets 1 day.

Also, the women's SF are Thursday so why do they need a male SF?

mrpenguin
01-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Yes indeed, one of the guys (Agassi/Safin) will get two days of rest, missed that one.

Scotso
01-28-2004, 11:19 PM
two days of rest isn't always good. player could get cold.

i think this is the way of keeping the sport male-dominated.

the cat
01-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Tennis Australia wants to make money and having 2 days of men's semifinals is a way for them to bilk the Australian tennis public into buying tickets for 2 days instead of 1 day. I think the ITF should step in and make Tennis Australia schedule the men's semifinals on the same day. Two years ago Thomas Johansson had 2 days off between the semifinal and final while Marat Safin only had 1 day off. It's just not fair. And that extra day off really helped Johansson. But I would expect the ITF to do anything to make the grand slams or the grand slams schedules better.

allusion
01-29-2004, 05:20 AM
It is because they want two night matches.

And either way, because the way play is divided, one half will always have some sort of advantage over the other. You could argue that the second half which plays on the second day has technically one more day than the players in the first half who play on the first day of the tournament.

jtipson
01-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Personally I'd much rather the guys have unequal amounts of rest, than no rest at all like the US Open. It's crazy the way they schedule the semis and final there on consecutive days! Even Wimbledon, which plays one day less than the other slams, manages to give the players a day off before the final (well, rain permitting).

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 04:18 PM
It's crazy to me to do it that way....