Roger defeats David 7-5 6-4 5-7 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger defeats David 7-5 6-4 5-7 6-3

J. Corwin
01-28-2004, 10:33 AM
David broke Roger several times but was unable to hold his own serve.

Roger is one win away from being the new #1.

Mane
01-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Congratulations to Roger.

undomiele
01-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Im proud of David. He put up a good fight. :)
Congratulations Federer. You'll be a good #1 (if you make it) but you'll still have to go through Ferrero and most likely Agassi to have the AO in the bag. May the best man win.

DanEd
01-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Despite your defeat I am very happy about your performance
If David only had a better serve

WyverN
01-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Roger is not #1 yet
If Ferrero beats him and then wins the final then he is #1

Dirk
01-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Ah what class from the David fans. I signed on today (I couldn't bear to watch it on the scoreboard) and was prepare to write to the David fans and congratulate them. Don't worry your player will win a slam this year or the next. He is too good not to. I am so happy for Roger and JC. THIS IS THE RIVALRY OF THE FUTURE. Going to be a great one.

lsy
01-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Ya, David is a great player, it's such a pity they have to meet in a QF.

WyverN
01-28-2004, 10:50 AM
The match was a bit sloppy and even Roger siad in the interview it didnt live up to expectations.
Usually spectacular rallys that were ended by errors.

I must point out 2 contrasting Nalbandian incidents. In the first one David produced extremely good sportsmanship to give Federer a point that was incorrectly called out.

In the second incident deep into the 4th set Federer hit a easy ball down the middle and ran into the net. David hit a backhand passing shot at 160km/h and aimed straight at Roger's chest, it probably would have taken Roger to the back fence if it hit. The ball ended up well long and Roger was lucky to escape it.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Look, I know that it's hard for some of you people to remember that Ferrero exists, but could we have a little respect and knock off this "Fed is number 1" shit until it's official? :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Good for Fed; he's finally figured out how to beat Nalbandian. It was bound to happen eventually. And yes, he'd done it before, but being able to do it twice in a row shows that it wasn't just lightening striking. Regardless, I'll be wishing luck to the invisible man, the least talented player in the top 100, who only happens to have the rest slam results in the past year of anybody on tour, in the next round.

May the best man win. Although it will be hard for Federer to beat a guy who doesn't exist, don't you think? :)

J. Corwin
01-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Look, I know that it's hard for some of you people to remember that Ferrero exists, but could we have a little respect and knock off this "Fed is number 1" shit until it's official? :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Good for Fed; he's finally figured out how to beat Nalbandian. It was bound to happen eventually. And yes, he'd done it before, but being able to do it twice in a row shows that it wasn't just lightening striking. Regardless, I'll be wishing luck to the invisible man, the least talented player in the top 100, who only happens to have the rest slam results in the past year of anybody on tour, in the next round.

May the best man win. Although it will be hard for Federer to beat a guy who doesn't exist, don't you think? :)

Don't throw a hissy fit now. I made a mistake with the rankings. I edited my post.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:55 AM
The match was a bit sloppy and even Roger siad in the interview it didnt live up to expectations.
Usually spectacular rallys that were ended by errors.

I must point out 2 contrasting Nalbandian incidents. In the first one David produced extremely good sportsmanship to give Federer a point that was incorrectly called out.

In the second incident deep into the 4th set Federer hit a easy ball down the middle and ran into the net. David hit a backhand passing shot at 160km/h and aimed straight at Roger's chest, it probably would have taken Roger to the back fence if it hit. The ball ended up well long and Roger was lucky to escape it.
He was obviously trying to kill Roger.

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 10:57 AM
way to go roger! i bet that sealed the match for him, mentally. not even that bullshit could pull it off today :)

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Don't throw a hissy fit now. I made a mistake with the rankings. I edited my post.
It was discussed in the scoring thread not even an hour ago... a discussion that you were a part of.

But whatever.

It's not a "hissy fit". Did everybody become 12 today? I feel left out. I'm at least 13.

Moving on... :)

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 10:58 AM
NEVER!!! everyone knows we like the bitch and moan posts....

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Ah what class from the David fans. I signed on today (I couldn't bear to watch it on the scoreboard) and was prepare to write to the David fans and congratulate them. Don't worry your player will win a slam this year or the next. He is too good not to. I am so happy for Roger and JC. THIS IS THE RIVALRY OF THE FUTURE. Going to be a great one.
The other 4 are classy, yes ;)

Although come on Dirk... who are you trying to kid? You never thought that Federer would lose, so why are you pretending that you were actually worried about it now? You made it pretty clear what you thought of Nalbandian in the prematch threads.

Regardless... hopefully we get a good semifinal out of this :)

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Woooooooooo :) I didn't get to see anything of it yet, but go Roger! :D I think that David, on paper, is a tougher opponent for Roger than Juan Carlos, so he'll be in the final for sure, I think! ;) And he can definitely take on the bald-headed eagle!

WyverN
01-28-2004, 11:00 AM
He was obviously trying to kill Roger.

I think that was plan C.
Obviously plan A and B weren't working

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:01 AM
NEVER!!! everyone knows we like the bitch and moan posts....
Oh no, I'm really hurt. *sniff* I feel so unloved. Please, stop it. Stop it!

(ps: I only bitch and moan at idiots, or at non idiots who have done idiotic things. It is not my fault that I completly lack the patience for both. If you don't like it, that's too fucking bad. Don't be an idiot or commit and idiotic act, and you'll never have to deal with me)

faboozadoo15
I think that was plan C.
:haha: and this didn't even work-- what was plan D??? :tape:

Chloe le Bopper
I think that was plan C.
Next time he'll just have to work a little harder on plan C.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Woooooooooo :) I didn't get to see anything of it yet, but go Roger! :D I think that David, on paper, is a tougher opponent for Roger than Juan Carlos, so he'll be in the final for sure, I think! ;) And he can definitely take on the bald-headed eagle!
Ferrero and Federer have split their last two meetings; should be interesting. Although if you believe the posters on this board, Ferrero might as well not show up.

I just want a good match that I can eat popcorn to and watch on my telly :p

faboozadoo15
Oh no, I'm really hurt. *sniff* I feel so unloved. Please, stop it. Stop it!

(ps: I only bitch and moan at idiots, or at non idiots who have done idiotic things. It is not my fault that I completly lack the patience for both. If you don't like it, that's too fucking bad. Don't be an idiot or commit and idiotic act, and you'll never have to deal with me)
that's why i like them... there was no sarcasm in my post. honestly :confused:

except that not everyone who agrees with you is intelligent nor is everyone who disagrees with you intelligent... and you forget that. i mean-- you thought nalbandian would win... so.

Chloe le Bopper
:haha: and this didn't even work-- what was plan D??? :tape:
TO start killing the fans in the hopes of distracting Fed. Duh.

J. Corwin
It was discussed in the scoring thread not even an hour ago... a discussion that you were a part of.

But whatever.

It's not a "hissy fit". Did everybody become 12 today? I feel left out. I'm at least 13.

Moving on... :)

I've been going on minimal sleep for some days now. :)

TennisLurker
01-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Well, now, good luck to Roger, I dont like Agassi, or ferrero, and I am not a fan of marat.
Was the match good?

Dirk
I had knots in my tummy when I signed on. I was worried. I knew Roger could win but also David could as well. I thought that if Roger kept his errors in check he would win for sure, but :lol: he didn't. 55 UE in 4 sets is bad but he still won so I am :bounce: David forced Roger's 2nd serve won pts to 43%. David was more even steven in his serve winning % both were in the 60s. I can't wait to see this match no matter how sloppy it was. Their last match which Roger one was ugly, hell all of their matches are ugly. Their matches belong on WTA Tour that is how ugly and error ridden they are.

Chloe le Bopper
that's why i like them... there was no sarcasm in my post. honestly :confused:

except that not everyone who agrees with you is intelligent nor is everyone who disagrees with you intelligent... and you forget that. i mean-- you thought nalbandian would win... so.
I thought that Nalbandian would win, did I? Find me one single post there I said that.

Nothing irritates me more than people who don't read and make assumptions.

I could pull up a quote from 20 minutes before the match that would make you look highly stupid for saying that, but I can't be bothered to go over toe World Crossing and find it.

How about you find the one I wrote in the scoring thread about how Nalbandian could play the match of his life and still lose?

Or would that constrast with your already preformed opinions of me, that are based on diddly squat?

undomiele
01-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Me too Jackson. Ive been on cruise control for ten days.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:06 AM
wAit I'm not done...

While you're looking up quotes of mine to see how incredibly wrong, and what a ridiculous thing that was to say... why don't you dig up the one where I said that I went back on an old bet I had on Nalbandian, and laid money on Federer so that I could break even?

*no patience*

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:07 AM
The fact that I just managed to write that many paragaphs to a poster who made irritating baseless assumptions about me without calling them a dishit, is fairly impressive.

I'm proud.

I'm also overtired.

I'll expect my apology in the morning ;)

WyverN
01-28-2004, 11:08 AM
I had knots in my tummy when I signed on. I was worried. I knew Roger could win but also David could as well. I thought that if Roger kept his errors in check he would win for sure, but :lol: he didn't. 55 UE in 4 sets is bad but he still won so I am :bounce: David forced Roger's 2nd serve won pts to 43%. David was more even steven in his serve winning % both were in the 60s. I can't wait to see this match no matter how sloppy it was. Their last match which Roger one was ugly, hell all of their matches are ugly. Their matches belong on WTA Tour that is how ugly and error ridden they are.

Roger's serve won it for him. David arguably outplayed him from the baseline.
It was just the serve and being able to raise his level of play on key points.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:08 AM
I've been going on minimal sleep for some days now. :)
Who hasn't?

I can hardly spell these days ;)

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 11:09 AM
I just want a good match that I can eat popcorn to and watch on my telly

Don't we all... want to eat popcorn?

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:10 AM
The fact that I just managed to write that many paragaphs to a poster who made irritating baseless assumptions about me without calling them a dishit, is fairly impressive.

I'm proud.

I'm also overtired.

I'll expect my apology in the morning ;)
I have no idea what a dishit is. Whatever it is, I'm glad that I didn't have to resort to such name calling.

I'll be a grown up soon!

faboozadoo15
or we can take the guess work out of things and wait until the federer nalbandian poll is opened so we can see who voted for whom...

Chloe le Bopper
Don't we all... want to eat popcorn?
I had a big bag tonight actually. It pleased me! I'm easily pleased :D

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 11:11 AM
rebecca gives kudos.... to herself
shocker.

Billabong
01-28-2004, 11:11 AM
YEAHHH well done Rogi!! I'm SOOOOO happy!!! Now continue, GOOOOO FED!!!:):):)!!!

TennisLurker
01-28-2004, 11:12 AM
I havent seen the match yet, but I think Roger is serving more like Sampras, his first serve % is lower nowadays than a year ago, but now he almost always goes for the first serve winner, (ace or unreturnable).I think now he is harder to break.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:12 AM
or we can take the guess work out of things and wait until the federer nalbandian poll is opened so we can see who voted for whom...
I think I voted for Nalbandian several days ago. It's called wishful thinking.

But hey... you can make yourself feel better by looking at a poll result and ignore the several comments that I made tonight that constrast completely with what you said.

The point is that you were dead fucking wrong. YOu assumed that because I"m a Nalbandian fan, I thought he would win. Well, unlike yourselves and others, I don't have my heads so far up my faves asses that I can't see out of them.

So get a clue, and dont' judge me in the future without reading my posts on the matter.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:13 AM
rebecca gives kudos.... to herself
shocker.
Have you accepted the fact taht you were so dead fucking wrong it's not even funny yet, or are you still grasping at straws? :confused:

I also said in a poll that Goldsomething or other is more talented that Roddick, just so you know.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:14 AM
I havent seen the match yet, but I think Roger is serving more like Sampras, his first serve % is lower nowadays than a year ago, but now he almost always goes for the first serve winner, (ace or unreturnable).I think now he is harder to break.
In the first set, Roger was down 15-40 at 5 all. What does he do? He spits out 4 aces, that's what he does. Incredible. But not when Roddick does it ;)

shaoyu
01-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Roger kept UE low in 2nd set but starting 3rd set he lost a bit composure, picking up UE again. David was a bit patchy today, so many hold to 0 and broken games. Total points won were close but Roger won more at the crucial moments. Apparent David is the toughest opponent for Rogi in this tournament so far.

Hagar
01-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Fantastic. Roger has started to turn the head to head around.

CooCooCachoo
I had a big bag tonight actually. It pleased me! I'm easily pleased

I had nothing! I woke up with Arazi - Ferrero (not the best match to watch) and had to go to school.. will only be able to see the summaries later on. Poor me :(

And BTW I don't like peanut butter ;)

faboozadoo15
"dead fucking wrong, rebecca"????
so we can't count your actions on this board where you make a pick for the match... which is clearly "who do you think wil win..."

because then we can dismiss that as "wishful thinking"...

but if you claim to have placed money on federer to maybe come out even, that obviously makes ME wrong? ... not just wrong but DEAD FUCKING WRONG :haha:

eat shit, babe

J. Corwin
01-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Roger kept UE low in 2nd set but starting 3rd set he lost a bit composure, picking up UE again. David was a bit patchy today, so many hold to 0 and broken games. Total points won were close but Roger won more at the crucial moments. Apparent David is the toughest opponent for Rogi in this tournament so far.

Hopefully Ferrero will be a much tougher opposition. ;)

I'd rather see him at #1 than Roger. But then I want Bald Eagle to win the tourney. I'm torn. ;)

undomiele
01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
I just hope more people will respect the guy for his game despite his loss. But that won't happen in the media until he wins a GS.

lsy
01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Roger's serve won it for him. David arguably outplayed him from the baseline.
It was just the serve and being able to raise his level of play on key points.

Right on point there. I thought so too. His aces at the right time did get him out of troubles today and his play is really not that neat compare to David, and Roger said that himself in the interview too.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:20 AM
"dead fucking wrong, rebecca"????
so we can't count your actions on this board where you make a pick for the match... which is clearly "who do you think wil win..."

because then we can dismiss that as "wishful thinking"...

but if you claim to have placed money on federer to maybe come out even, that obviously makes ME wrong? ... not just wrong but DEAD FUCKING WRONG :haha:

eat shit, babe
You said that I thought Nalbandian would win. I made it evident in the half hour before the match that I didn't think he would win. Any 12 year old could deduct that you're being foolish for not understanding where you have gone wrong here.

I'm not into shit, but you can eat your own and get back to me on how it was. Infact, why don't you go enjoy it here:

http://wc5.worldcrossing.com/webx?14@149.0AfegPuhpWF.3@.1dde169c/671

Where I wrote "Fed over Nalbandian" as my prediction, just a couple hours before the match.

Eat that, asshole.

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 11:22 AM
eat shit, babe

She is more into popcorn (and peanut butter) as I've noticed, faboozadoo15..

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:23 AM
I just hope more people will respect the guy for his game despite his loss. But that won't happen in the media until he wins a GS.
He won't be respected even if he wins a Grand Slam. Just look at Ferrero.

Fedex
01-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Congrats to Roger :bounce: :bounce: :bowdown:
I was very worried as well, because i knew that David could be Roger, so it made it harder for me to sleep. I havent seen the match though,

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:24 AM
She is more into popcorn (and peanut butter) as I've noticed, faboozadoo15..
This is true.

Im' so glad that I was able to have a positive impact on this thread :hearts:

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 11:27 AM
you merely play both sides of the fence... no real surprise there... NEXT

and i can tell i have you running if you (of all people) find a past post to give a sheephish attempt at a retort...

better luck next time...

and why would i let her have peanut butter? :confused: she likes the stuff.

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 11:40 AM
TRUCE!

WyverN
01-28-2004, 11:45 AM
He won't be respected even if he wins a Grand Slam. Just look at Ferrero.

Ferrero isn't respected in this tourney because he came into the tournament follwing a string of 7 losses and has not beaten anybody to suggest he has turned his form around.

Obviously he is good enough to beat the guys below him while he is in a obvious slump but can he beat Federer and then Andre or Safin in the final?

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:46 AM
you merely play both sides of the fence... no real surprise there... NEXT

and i can tell i have you running if you (of all people) find a past post to give a sheephish attempt at a retort...

better luck next time...

and why would i let her have peanut butter? :confused: she likes the stuff.
I think you meant popcorn?

Anyways...

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people come out of nowhere, and tell me what I was thinking. It has nothing to do with you "having me running", so please go rub your ego elsewhere. I just find it maddening that there are actually people arrogant enough to not only assume they can read my mind, but to insist that their assumption is incorrect, even in light over overwhelming evidence that refutes their claims. This is an unbelievably common human quality that I will never understand. It's really not that hard to say "oops, i was wrong. My bad". I do this on a daily basis, because I make silly assumptiosn ALL THE TIME. The key here is that I own up to them.

As for me riding both sides of the fence... you will not find a single post where I said that I thought Nalbandian would win. I said he was underestimated, that it was possible for him to win, etc. But anybody who reads above a grade two level can distinguish between those statements.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that you're a big enough person to simply admit that you made some assumptions based on nothing more than my being a fan of Nalbandian. Some assumptions that were clearly wrong.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Ferrero isn't respected in this tourney because he came into the tournament follwing a string of 7 losses and has not beaten anybody to suggest he has turned his form around.

Obviously he is good enough to beat the guys below him while he is in a obvious slump but can he beat Federer and then Andre or Safin in the final?
I didnt' say Ferrero would win. I also wasn't talking about this tournament.

In general, Ferrero gets absolutely minimal respect, no matter what he does. Nalbandian will face the same problem for his entire career.

Sjengster
01-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Well, the only one out of those three that he might really struggle with is Safin, he's beaten Agassi twice on hard and all his victories against Federer have come on hardcourt as well (including the first, importantly, on Rebound Ace four years ago in Auckland - not forgetting that exhibition a few weeks ago). Ferrero will most likely be more solid on serve than Nalbandian was, so Federer will have to avoid a letdown and keep points short - on this surface the ball sits up nicely for Ferrero to pound him into submission.

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
No. He can't.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
TRUCE!
Popcorn!

I'm actually going to go to sleep now ;)

But there is an easy resolution to the boring discussion that has been going on.... that would be that faboo admits she was incorrect in her assumptions. It's really not that difficult. When you have to resort to "I have a hunch who you voted for in the non public poll" as your evidence, then you've clearly begun talking out of orfaces other than your mouth. Not that anybody here is literally talking, mind you. At least, I hope nobody is. And if you are? Please don't tell me about it.

Good"night" ;)

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 11:51 AM
so sorry that i only read your little masterpieces that you decide to post here on menstennisforums...

and obviously im intuitive to know that you voted for nalbandian in the poll... so i'll keep my reading comprehension skills, thank you.

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 11:53 AM
hmmm... speaking of making assumptions, in what post of mine did i ever say i was a woman?

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 11:55 AM
it's good that she left... bc not even she could have dug herself out of that hole.

CooCooCachoo
Take it outside, girls! :p

Chloe le Bopper
so sorry that i only read your little masterpieces that you decide to post here on menstennisforums...

and obviously im intuitive to know that you voted for nalbandian in the poll... so i'll keep my reading comprehension skills, thank you.
Actually, had you truly read my posts on menstennisforums, you'd have seen the ones where I indicated that I had a hunch Fed would win (in the scoring thread), and you'd have noticed that I never wrote " I think that this match is Nalbandians for the taking!" or anything of the sort.

You could have saved yourself being ripped another asshole by just admitting your mistake in the first place.

Nothing is ruder than a person who tells me how I feel and then refuses to be told otherwise.

But whatever. Now you're just being stubborn. Next time hopefully you'll know better. You're forgiven. You can sleep easy now knowing that, because I know how important I am to you :hearts:

But now? I'm really going to try to sleep. I've only tried to go about 8 times. But I'm just so attached to my lover, aka my keyboard, that it's been a long, romantic goodbye :hearts:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:56 AM
it's good that she left... bc not even she could have dug herself out of that hole.
I assumed you were a women? My bad. Apologies.

You see, it's really not that hard.

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Sleep tight, Rebecca ;) Is the love mutual?

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Let's play a new game: How many more times will Rebecca say goodnight before really leaving? I'm going to go with 5.

faboozadoo15
i do really love you rebecca, no bones about it... that's why this is so fun...

Chloe le Bopper
Sleep tight, Rebecca ;) Is the love mutual?
Quite evidently.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:58 AM
i do really love you rebecca, no bones about it... that's why this is so fun...
Of course no bones about it... it's just a messageboard. I have this wonderful quality about me where I can wish death upon you one moment, and forget all about it the next.

For those playing the "goodnight" game, here's one: Good night :wavey:

Sjengster
01-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Sheesh, some people on here need to get a life. Now excuse me, I'm off to trawl every tennis website I know for more reactions and take a daytrip to the library for some exciting archaeological reading.

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Oh good night! Go and get some water before you leave.

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 12:00 PM
haha
damn, too bad i didn't get my wager in before that last one...

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Sheesh, some people on here need to get a life. Now excuse me, I'm off to trawl every tennis website I know for more reactions and take a daytrip to the library for some exciting archaeological reading.
:haha: among other many productive things, i assume

star
01-28-2004, 12:04 PM
:woohoo: Roger!!

This is great news to get first thing in the morning. :)

lsy
01-28-2004, 12:06 PM
I didnt' say Ferrero would win. I also wasn't talking about this tournament.

In general, Ferrero gets absolutely minimal respect, no matter what he does. Nalbandian will face the same problem for his entire career.

I won't say that for sure Rebecca. David had gained plenty of respects for the past year. There are plenty of us here who did like his game and many commentators/critics had started to realise that too and he hasn't won a slam. So why did you still think that? And WyverN said what I wanted to say about Ferrero, it's more of recency effect than anything else. If you're talking about him going unnoticed in tournaments in US, well virtually every other players got minimal attention there, so...Federer had gotten much attention recently probably because of the 2 amazing and unbelievable runs he had in wimbledon and Houston. I think Federer had gone into wimbledon in Andy's shadow too (while Andy was also having great results before that) in last year wimbledon. Another example is Safin, he was almost forgotten last year but now with a fantastic run in AO, you probably will be hearing about him non stop.

So I still have faith that respects come with results. :)

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 12:07 PM

The latter highly appeals to me as well.
Fancy a discussion on the liberalisation of the Dutch energy market as well?

Dirk
01-28-2004, 12:49 PM
If David outplayed him from the baseline why does he have 26 Winners and Roger has 50? Your telling me Roger didn't hit lots of winners in rallies? Roger's net skills were great. Maybe all of his winners just were volleys and serves. Guess I will have to see the match for myself.

TennisLurker
01-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I havent seen the match, but, 20 of those 50 winners were aces, and he won 23 net points, so probably Federer was not winning a lot of points from the baseline.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day15/0123ms.html

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 01:02 PM
That makes sense, TennisLurker ;)

Dirk
01-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks Lurker so he won 7 points in a the rallies. I wonder if he used his cup plan. Can't wait for the match.

TennisLurker
01-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Not necesarilly (spelling?), surely some of the net points were not finished with a Federer winner, but, by an unforced error of Nalbandian, so Federer probaby won more than 7 points from the baseline (not a lot more, but more than 7).
The stats say net points won, they dont say if federer won the net apporaches with a winner or an unforced error of David.

Experimentee
01-28-2004, 01:21 PM
I thought that was a high quality match, both players played so well, except they started to drop off the the 3rd and 4th sets. But the 1st and 2nd sets were excellent tennis, and could have gone either way.
Roger was so good under pressure, it was so amazing when he was down 15-40 at 5-5 in the 1st and produced 4 aces in a row! They were having great baseline rallies and volleying well too, especially Roger. However in the 4th set Roger's groundstrokes went off a bit and he stayed in the set by his serve, after playing a good game to break Nalbandian.

Experimentee
01-28-2004, 01:29 PM
If David outplayed him from the baseline why does he have 26 Winners and Roger has 50? Your telling me Roger didn't hit lots of winners in rallies? Roger's net skills were great. Maybe all of his winners just were volleys and serves. Guess I will have to see the match for myself.

Roger hit quite a few winners from the baseline but mostly he didnt hit a winner outright from the baseline, he'd just hit a great shot to set up the point from the baseline, then move in to finish it off. Also they were having some long rallies and a lot of the time Roger stayed in the rallies longer than David and David made the error first. I dont think David outplayed him from the baseline at all. They were about even on the baseline and Roger's serve and net play were much superior.

undomiele
01-28-2004, 09:51 PM
I just saw the match! Rog just aced his way through all the tight spots!! Not very sportmanslike I think... Very like something Roddick or Philippoussis would do in fact. Youd think Roger would be above that really... but judging by the amount of UE's he was having I guess he had to. (And im not disputing the legitimacy of the aces.) Some plan!! Its not going to work the next time Nalbandian gets his first serve back. And its not going to work against Ferrero who has been serving pretty well these past couple of matches and is thus better able to hold serve... Im really disappointed in Federer for that. He's definitely not in Wimbledon form.

And yes I am a little bitter ;)

Scotso
01-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Points won at the net are not considered winners.

Great job Roger, way to silence the dissenters :worship: Now lose to Ferrero! ;)

Ma. Estefania
01-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Great job Roger, Now lose to Ferrero! ;)

I ask for the same. ;)

WyverN
01-28-2004, 10:05 PM
I just saw the match! Rog just aced his way through all the tight spots!! Not very sportmanslike I think

I am sure David would hate to have a serve like Roger's because it would be very unsportsmanlike

... Very like something Roddick or Philippoussis would do in fact. Youd think Roger would be above that really.

I completely agree. I mean taking drugs is one thing but how dare he serve well?

Its not going to work the next time Nalbandian gets his first serve back.

I recall people saying Federer would never beat Nalbandian if he didn't make a mountain of errors like in Houston.

TennisLurker
01-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Lol, undomiele, that is ridiculous.
I like both players (David a little more), but, what is Roger supposed to do?
should he serve sub-par?

asotgod
01-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Listen, all that the bulk of you have given in the last posts have been explanation of failure on Davide's part. Yeah, Federer had 50 winners, 20 of which are aces, right. So, he had 30 other winners which is more than David's overall anyway. Secondly, you said he had 23 points at the end. But out of your BS, you clearly forgot that the points could have been won on both his serve or Davide's serve. Only when you watch the match will you be able to tell that he set up most of his points and aimed to finish them at the end. So, there is nothing unsportsmanlike about that. He could have won say 10 points at the net on his serve or even 20. We have no prove what amount so we cannot say he did not have winners from the baseline. From the match I watched, I know he had winners from the baseline.

Another case is the fact that Federer made 55 errors. They are most times called unforced errors, even though some may be forced. But, if we take the literary meaning of unforced errors, it simply means 55 of Davide's points were unforced errors by Federer or as I will like to call it "give me". From the eurosport commentary when the match was going on live, I read quite some times when Federer missed easy shots, likewise also Nalbandian. It can also be said that about 31 or so points of Federer were unforced errors by Nalbandian. But whatever way you look at it, Federer won and would still have had more points that Nalbandian anyway. And most times, the number of points determine the winner.

Look, I hate it when people take credit away from people. Both guys did not play their best, but they did not play their worst either. There were patches of good play and bad play all the same but as you can tell from the match (that's if you saw it), Federer was most times dictating the points. On his second serve, Nalbandian was killing him which is expected because I feel Nalbandian is the best returner on tour presently (even ahead of Agassi). So, he was prone to making errors and so was Nalbandian.

The simple and painful fact for some people is that Nalbandian lost and Federer won. Many people on this board have been screaming that Nalbandian will deal with Federer as always but were clearly confounded. Now come to think of it if Federer plays a clean game. The rest is history. In the first set, Nalbandian made 4 or 5 errors to 19 from Federer. But, it was when the error was made that mattered. It was who played the big points well.

So, all I expect of people with a sense of respect and decency for the game is to commend both guys, particularly Federer for playing the big points well. You may say he serve 4 aces in a row but why didn't Nalbandian stop it? It was not as if he wasn't seeing the ball. What about the third set when Federer has three break points in one game and could not convert? We dont need excuses here. Nalbandian lost. Take it, cry all you want, scream and do whatever but he lost.

Most of you have been saying Federer chokes at crucial moments but in the past 2 matches, he has played the points well. People should be happy he has improved, not that they just compare him to Roddick or Phillipoussis for serving like that. Roddick (90%) of the time depends on his serve and most times his forehand but Federer needed the serve at those times and got it. He could as well have missed them when he need them most. Let's stop all this explanations about losses that undermine the abilities of the winner.

When Nalbandian was beating Federer, he was doing something right. Now, Federer must be doing something right to be winning. We ought to be happy men's tennis is rising to the occasion after so much outcry about its decline. Thanks for listening.

tangerine_dream
01-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Rogi! :worship: Thankyouthankyouthankyou for getting rid of that annoying little bugger, Dahveeed!

Great game from both players! Glad I have it on tape. :yeah:

And thankyouthankyouthankyou again Rogi for aceing Nalby seven times in a row! I will now refer back to your excellent serving abilities the next time some obnoxious anti-Andy/pro-Fed fanatic starts bitching about Roddick's "boring" and "unsportsmanlike" aces. :devil:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:43 PM

Great job Roger, way to silence the dissenters :worship: Now lose to Ferrero! ;)
Um, what dissenters? I wasn't aware he had any here.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:43 PM
I recall people saying Federer would never beat Nalbandian if he didn't make a mountain of errors like in Houston.

Who said that?

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 10:46 PM
The simple and painful fact for some people is that Nalbandian lost and Federer won

I wasn't aware it was supposed to be painful. Next time I'll cry so that I can fit the part.

(really people... it's TENNIS. If you're finding losses "painful", step outside and breathe the fresh air. Been there, done that)

WyverN
01-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Who said that?

Just a general concensus around here (not by everyone) that Nalbandian still owns Federer and the Houston loss can be attributed to David's injuries/tiredness/bad play.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Just a general concensus around here (not by everyone) that Nalbandian still owns Federer and the Houston loss can be attributed to David's injuries/tiredness/bad play.
Um, David DID play like ass in that match. Some Fed fans around here seemed completely oblivious to that. I like to think that most people here realized that Federer won because he stuck to his plan, despite David's patchy play? To say there is a general concensus about anything around here, it to smoke too much crack ;) If anything, the general concensus is that Federer is untouchable and devine. David has about 5 fans here, incase you hadn't noticed.

federerer
01-29-2004, 12:00 AM
First off, hats off to David. Not just for his play and heart, but for his sportsmanship. I am not a fan of his style of tennis, but his sportsmanship has made me a fan of his! I only hope Roger will do the same if in the same situation.

overall, I think David played pretty well. He displayed some power I didn't know he had and he was very resilient. Never gets down, fights for every point etc.

The only part of his game that was off was that he got a little tight at times. Fed made fabulous shots, but David gave away a few too.

As a Federer fan, this match makes me even happier than if he killed him in 3 sets playing his A game. The knock on Fed has been his mental game but I think he answered all those questions today. Fact is, we know now that Fed can beat a top player without his best stuff. Every fan knows that if Roger plays his best game, he can't be beat (safin fans would disagree, I'm sure), but the great players are those that can win with their will. Those that can summon their best tennis when they need it most. Federer has done this today. I don't know how many times I've seen Sampras do this.

In my opinion, David is still roger's toughest rival.

I hope both players play well in the semis. I want to see each play their best tennis.

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 12:08 AM

:haha: of course they do... if the person hits an overhead or volley winner. duh...

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 12:09 AM
I just saw the match! Rog just aced his way through all the tight spots!! Not very sportmanslike I think... Very like something Roddick or Philippoussis would do in fact. Youd think Roger would be above that really... but judging by the amount of UE's he was having I guess he had to. (And im not disputing the legitimacy of the aces.) Some plan!! Its not going to work the next time Nalbandian gets his first serve back. And its not going to work against Ferrero who has been serving pretty well these past couple of matches and is thus better able to hold serve... Im really disappointed in Federer for that. He's definitely not in Wimbledon form.

And yes I am a little bitter ;)

:worship: dumbest post of the day...

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Hmmmm, for some reason I happen to prefer their US Open match. Wonder why that could be?

This was a close match, but the difference was Federer's impressive serving under pressure and Nalbandian's ill-timed errors. They both had plenty of unforced errors, but David's came when they mattered more.

Nalbandian still has a 5-2 record so rahr. :D

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 12:16 AM
true true abt the 5-2... but at the end of the day roger has 2 trophies bigger than any of david's...

Leo
01-29-2004, 01:05 AM
But they're both in their early twenties, so anything is possible ;) Althoguh, Federer will most likely end his career with more Slams than anyone else of his generation.

undomiele
01-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Guys. I just said that I dont like seeing tennis players ace their way out of problems during most of a match WHEN theyre capable of more. I have tremendous respect for Federer but for him to rely on aces more than usual to take away from his UE's was, you have to admit, a bit uncharacteristic for Roger Federer. (As were his UE's.) Can I say I was just expecting a little bit more "magic" and rallies,etc rather than strings of boring aces here and there during the big points? Its a preference thing.

Now he did what he had to do to win the game and he deserved the win --Im not denying that. And I apologize for having used the word "unsportsmanlike" -- that was the wrong word to say and I can see how I easily offended some people. But the match was undeniably "sloppy" and less interesting than usual -- and I think Roger's UE's and aces had a lot to do with it. As well as David's lack of a first serve :rolleyes: But please understand I was also bitter when i wrote that last post... I had just seen the match and I let emotions get the better of me and I wasnt being fair. The real truth is I wish Roger had given Nalbandian more chances with rallies (cos Nalby won more of them) but the Fed aces obviously gave him very little chance to do that. Yet that doesnt make up for the fact that David always had a chance to hold more than he did but didnt cos his serves weren't up to par.
But when youre mad, its hard to see the other side.

All in all, (after cooling down) I can say Im happy with Nalbandians performance and yes, I daresay this has become a legitimate tennis rivalry. Satisfied?

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Fair enough undomiele. I wouldn't want Federer to become a largely serve-based player like Sampras at all, but I think Nalbandian is one of those players whom he has to take chances against and go for cheap points on the serve because he is so often outclassed in the rallies - Big Dave was punishing his second serve a lot, so he needed to kill the first to get it past him. From the sounds of it there were still some good, high-quality exchanges but also many errors from the baseline. I'm also certain that Nalbandian is always going to be Federer's biggest challenge from a fellow New Ball.

darnyelb
01-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Awesome... I hope we see a Safin vs Federer final.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 01:35 AM
Nalbandian is one of those players whom he has to take chances against and go for cheap points on the serve because he is so often outclassed in the rallies - Big Dave was punishing his second serve a lot, so he needed to kill the first to get it past him.

I found it interesting that Federer was serving faster then in his previous matches. I wonder if he wasn't serving as fast as he could in his previous matches and if so why?

rogicomel
01-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Awesome... I hope we see a Safin vs Federer final.

Me, too! :wavey:

jmp
01-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Hi! :wavey: I'm another one of the sleep deprived. Is there a 12-step program for this disease that plagues so many tennis fans? ;) It hit me when I was watching my Marat/Andy tape at 5AM this morning. So, I tried to catch up on some zzzz's.

Anyway...Roger/David was a scratchy match in and of itself. But, I was really intrigued by its' psychological ramifications for each man and what it could mean for the next few years of the mens' game. At the end, I felt really, really good for Roger and really, really bad for David. The reason I felt so good for Roger was because even though he hasn't played walk-on-water tennis in this tournament like he did at Wimbledon and Houston, Roger has been winning! I think that shows the heart of a champion. I also liked listening to him talking on the court a little (but not too much) at key points throughout the match. There was an Allez! when he hit a good shot and groans when he made errors. You can tell he really wanted the win.

I felt bad for David because he missed opportunities that he usually would capitalize on and his errors really put him at a disadvantage. I like thinking of him as a human back board always getting balls back in play. But, he didn't do that on a consistant basis in this match. The unpredictablity of real sporting events always amazes me. I thought David should have won both of the first sets and that Roger had the third set won. The final score was just the opposite.

As for the near future of the game, if Roger continues to find a way to pass David in the draw at majors, he may be looking at some smooth sailing. I know that David said otherwise in his interview, but, I believe screaming through his early round opponents made him less prepared to go toe to toe with Roger today. He didn't sound like he was discouraged on a long term basis by this loss. So, I hope he comes back strong in the other majors this year.

Good showing, David! :) Congrats, Roger! :D

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Great post, jmp, and I agree. Fed is finally starting to figure out how to win when he's not at his best--the best players always manage to find a way! Perhaps that Houston win finally gave him the mental edge that he needed. He and Nalby will have a much better rivalry in coming years because of it. It's not much fun for tennis when one player continues to dominate over another. :bounce:

Shy
01-29-2004, 03:19 AM
I also liked listening to him talking on the court a little (but not too much) at key points throughout the match. There was an Allez! when he hit a good shot and groans when he made errors. You can tell he really wanted the win.

I ! :D
It seem that Roger was a little more fired than usual.He show a bit more emotion than usual.

undomiele
01-29-2004, 03:25 AM
Allez? Does this mean Federer is a French Swiss? I thought Basel was in the german area.

jmp
01-29-2004, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the compliment, tangerine_dream. :) :D

Shy
01-29-2004, 03:30 AM
Allez? Does this mean Federer is a French Swiss? I thought Basel was in the german area.He is a german swiss who went to school in the french swiss part.

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 03:36 AM
No he didn't shy. He was raised in Basel and did most of his schooling in Basel.

He then went to the national tennis centre as a 15 yr old which was located in the French part and had plenty of problems initially as he couldn't speak French. Now he speaks it very well and the name Federer is a Swiss German name.

Plus Allez sounds better than Hopp.

Shy
01-29-2004, 03:41 AM
He then went to the national tennis centre as a 15 yr old which was located in the French part and had plenty of problems initially as he couldn't speak French.

He sure learn fast. His french is fluent now, better than a lot of people who are native french speaker.