Aussie Open in March???? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Aussie Open in March????

Yonge
01-28-2004, 08:23 AM
I've read some news lately about unofficial plans (or considerations) of moving the AO to March. I think it's a bad idea since the schedules of 2 huge tournaments will be affected (namely Indian Wells and Miami). I love those 2 tournaments and would HATE to see them suffer because of the AO. I'm not even sure why they're considering to move the AO to March. Is the Australian weather better at that time of the year? Do they think it's too early in the season to hold a Slam? I personally think January is just right. It's summer time and school is out, which translates into better attendance.

If anything, they should change the dates for Roland Garros and Wimbledon IMO.

BTW, Larry Scott (WTA CEO) is supporting the change of date.

Tennis Fool
01-29-2004, 12:31 AM
No, the players need a longer off-season. How many injuries has this tournament already suffered?

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 12:41 AM
No, the players need a longer off-season. How many injuries has this tournament already suffered?

Exactly...

they could also compact Davis Cup, shuffle some things around, and let the season end before early/mid-November if they're dead set on the AO in January. I think we'd get better tennis all around if something were changed. Though it is kind of odd that you have the AO in Jan and then no slam til June and then the next one only 2 weeks later. :shrug:

SanTaureau Fan
01-29-2004, 12:42 AM
The problem that I have with Key Biscayne and Indian Wells is that they don't prepare for any bigger tournement... Monte Carlo, Hamburg and Roma prepare for the FO, Cincinnati and the Canadian Open prepare for the US Open, and the last 2 MS prepare for the End year Championship.

So it would make the schedule much more coherent to have Indian Wells and Key Biscayne before the Australian Open. It would mean an hardcourt season before the Slam... Makes sense no?

And it's a Slam... It SHOULD have good attendance, whether it is during school or not. It sucks for students, but it's not a reason good enough for not having the tournement in march.

So the schedule would look like:

Key Biscayne
Indian Wells
Doha / Scottsdale / Chennai
Dubai / Adelaide / Hopman Cup
Sydney / Auckland
Australian Open

Clay Season ...

And pushing back all indoor tournement at the end of the year.

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:43 AM
I think moving the Australian Open one week later or to February seems more likely; March probably won't happen.

SanTaureau Fan
01-29-2004, 03:28 AM
In 2014 it's still going to be in January. ;) Each time it will be moved one week later we'll have to wait like 10 years for another change. ;)

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 04:09 AM
The AO definitely needs to be moved. The off-season isn't long enough for players to recover from injuries and whatnot.

For the sake of the players' well-being, I think tennis fans could tolerate a slam being moved down to start a few weeks later.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 04:11 AM
I think fans would deal with it... because the prospect of getting better quality tennis with fewer top players injured sounds a lot better to me even if I had to wait a few more weeks for the season to start

J. Corwin
01-29-2004, 06:47 AM
How about just taking a couple weeks out from the season? As in cancelling a few small tournaments. I'm ok with the AO moved back a lil bit.

Yonge
01-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Good points guys.

So it would make the schedule much more coherent to have Indian Wells and Key Biscayne before the Australian Open. It would mean an hardcourt season before the Slam... Makes sense no?

It does make sense to have big tourneys before a Slam. However, Indian Wells and Miami, though played on hard courts, are not played on Rebound Ace. Which leads to the question, "Should the AO change their surface?" (we all know IW and Miami won't switch to Rebound Ace). If these 2 tourneys ever become prep tourneys for the AO then it makes sense to match their surfaces. A different surface might also help decrease the injuries in AO.

How about just taking a couple weeks out from the season? As in cancelling a few small tournaments. I'm ok with the AO moved back a lil bit.

I want a longer off-season too. The players obviously want it. However, cancelling some smaller tournaments might be bad for lower rank players who need those tournaments to rack-up points and money.

I hope the ATP, WTA, and ITF come up with a nice schedule that's good for players and fans. If it takes moving big events such as the AO to a different date or changing surfaces, then perhaps the pay-off is going to be worth it. Suddenly moving the AO to March seems like a good idea. ;)

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 08:37 AM
It can easily done, the question is whether they have the will to do so.

Why should the AO change surface? Move the dates around for the Slams. The claycourt season should start in South America, then they go straight to Europe.

It depends on which smaller tournament, there are some that couldn't be cancelled and there will probably more challengers to compensate.

As for the injuries well they need a longer off-season, but a lot of the players aren't trained correctly.

JennyS
01-29-2004, 07:43 PM
I think that there is a solution to the problem that would benefit all players. It would take a total revamping of the tennis calendar. I think it would be cool if there was a 9 month season with an additional optional 4 week off-season circuit that would award prize money but no points.

I think the AO should start in late Feb or early March and the season should end by early October.

Kristen
01-31-2004, 02:07 AM
I could tolerate the aus open in mid feb.... Even in march, then they could all celebrate mine and karol kuceras birthday ;)

However, if they were to push it right back to march, I'm sure I'd find a way to get out of uni for it. I mean, I got out of an exam at uni in 2001, so I could go to the Davis Cup semi between Sweden and Australia. :shrug:

I'm sure I could do it again :D

LubiG
01-31-2004, 03:25 AM
March?? isn't that too close to Roland garros??

trixy
01-31-2004, 05:36 AM
Well I don't think it'll work if we put it back to march because then you have all the australian summer tournaments, what do you do with them?? and then you've got the tournaments that are on in march Indian wells, Miami ect.

Before I didn't want it moved because it would stuff up all the holidays and I wouldn't be able to go down to see it but seeing I'm going to be in uni next yr it's not such a major concern for me.

I think Febuary is a much better time to have it because that way its still in summer and then you just need finish the season a bit earlier. I mean if players are still playing Davis Cup in December and then playing the aus open like a month later that's pathetic. I mean does the season really need to go on that long after the US open? I suppose the problem is that every1 wants to hold their own little tournament now and so many other things like revenue, tv commitments have become more important then the players.

Experimentee
01-31-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm sick of people repeating that the Aus Open is the source of all problems and should be moved. Players are injured all year round, i remember the most recent US Open was injury plagued, but no ones suggesting the US Open be moved! The players are injured all year round, and its up to them to take time off if they are injured, instead of having it forced upon them by an off season.
March is not a good time for the AO as it'll clash with other major sporting events and its not a time when kids are available to come because of school. Little kids and summer just add to the atmosphere and even though i wont be a student by the time the changes would come into affect I'd still feel for the little kids who would have to skip school and thats not something i'd encourage. And we need ball kids as well as kids to work in the stores, etc.

If we really must have a shorter season I would suggest shortening the indoor season which a lot of players dont care about anyway, and making the DC final around October instead of Dec, putting the ties closer together.

Tennis Fool
01-31-2004, 06:35 PM
As for the injuries well they need a longer off-season, but a lot of the players aren't trained correctly.

What do you mean exactly?

Tennis Fool
01-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Experimentee: I agree that injuries can occur at any time, but it seems that "gearing down" in November just to "gear up" in December does nothing for the ability of one's body to rest. Remember there is supposed to be an "off season" prior to Australian Open, not the other Slams. I have never seen so many injuries to top players and even Ferrero said his injuries had no time to heal properly prior to this tournament.

Also: regarding, vacation time. The AO is an international tournament, not national. In the US, you have to skip school if you want to see the Open, if you don't go on a weekend.

Action Jackson
02-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Tennis Fool
What do you mean exactly?

I think that was quite clear. Yes, injuries are going to happen of course as they do in sports. There are some players that aren't properly prepared. Any sportsman needs a strong base before doing any anaerobic or aerobic activity which tennis is a mixture of both, if they don't have a sufficient base and try to make up for it in other areas, then the likelihood of injuries increase.

The lack of recovery time is an issue as well and it's not the only Australian Open that needs to change dates, it's the whole calendar and that includes all the Slams.

JeLuliA88
02-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Moving the aus open to March would SUCK... cos everyone would be in school or @ work and no one would turn up...