Mal: I knew Safin would win [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mal: I knew Safin would win

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Mal on the Roddick vs. Safin match (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus04/news/story?id=1719783)

Leo
01-28-2004, 01:52 AM
Mal is ... well, there are no words to describe him ... actually, dumbass is a good one.

Ads
01-28-2004, 02:19 AM
jackass is another wait that's gilbert

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 02:23 AM
:confused: didn't he pick andy in his column and on tv???

tennischick
01-28-2004, 02:28 AM
Mal so sux...grrrrrrr :fiery:

jmp
01-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Just going back to check the written word and...

Marat Safin, Russia, vs. James Blake, United States
Safin is starting to show the form that won him a Grand Slam title in 2000. Probably what is most surprising is that he's been able to keep his emotions in check. In his last two sets against Todd Martin, he played as composed a two-set stretch as I've ever seen from him.
Safin is going to be the favorite in this match, but James Blake is having a very good tournament. Thus far, however, Blake hasn't played someone with the quality of power that Safin has. For Blake to win this match, he will need to have a first-serve percentage around 65 percent. Also, he needs to do a better job returning first and second serves than he usually does against big servers.
If Blake can't break serve, he won't win this match because at times his serve has deserted him, whereas Safin is equally lethal while serving or returning. It's time for Blake to make a statement. Winning this match would be making a huge statement to everyone in the locker room saying, "I'm someone to be reckoned with in 2004."
Pick: Blake in five sets

Andy Roddick (1), United States, vs. Marat Safin, Russia
Just by taking the court with Andy Roddick, Marat Safin is taking a huge step toward telling the world that he's back and he's a player to be reckoned with again. He says he's rededicated his life to tennis. He's shown that he still can compete at a top-10 level.

The stats to watch in this match are first-serve percentage and second-serve returning points won. Since you can expect each guy is going to serve well, it's going to come down to the player who can get the most returns back in the court and who converts the most break points. Both rely on huge serves to get free points, so the player who can make the other play more balls on their own serve will be the player who will get that rare break of serve.

Brad Gilbert should have Roddick so ready to play and so pumped up that he might play his best match of the tournament so far -- and that's saying something considering he hasn't lost a set yet.
Pick: Roddick

Way to go, Mal! :yeah:

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed in his lack of real analysis here. I don't believe that Mal would have been so benign when he first took this gig fresh off of the tour.

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 02:42 AM
Don't forget he hates Marat...although he seemed to actually give him his due in the last column.

J. Corwin
01-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Of course Mal knows everything.

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 03:06 AM
No, that's Queen Rebecca ;)

TheBoiledEgg
01-28-2004, 03:30 AM
what a bogus moron :o

wouldnt want him in charge of the bookies :rolleyes:

Bubble
01-28-2004, 04:00 AM
Can't trust his picks in any matches involving Marat :o
He is too biased against Marat due to the mercedes car incident. so no matter how good Marat has proved , Mal will still pick the other player to win. :mad:

Lisbeth
01-28-2004, 04:34 AM
I think Mal is paid specifically to pick Americans. Half the time his column blabs on about how great some guy is and then picks the other (usually American) guy anyway.

It's pretty hilarious though.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 04:46 AM
No, that's Queen Rebecca ;)
True :cool:

propi
01-28-2004, 06:12 AM
Once they got to the fifth set (because the Aussie Open does not allow for a tiebreak in the final set), it meant the match was going to be won by the player who could get the break of serve.

Excuse me!! but I think tie breaks in fifth set are only in USO :retard:
:lol: and I was supporting this guy in that Wimby final :retard:

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 02:30 PM
I think Mal is paid specifically to pick Americans. Half the time his column blabs on about how great some guy is and then picks the other (usually American) guy anyway.

It's pretty hilarious though.

Except that he loves Federer. He'll pick Federer every time.

sigmagirl91
01-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Mal is ... well, there are no words to describe him ... actually, dumbass is a good one.
:worship: :worship:

Well said, Leo.

Experimentee
01-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Can't trust his picks in any matches involving Marat :o
He is too biased against Marat due to the mercedes car incident. so no matter how good Marat has proved , Mal will still pick the other player to win. :mad:

Whats this Mercedes car incident? I know of one where Marat verbally abused a female car official, but I dont know how Mal was involved, unless this was another car incident?
There was a little interview with Mal in the paper today and they mentioned an incident with Marat but he didnt want to talk about it. He said he'd tried to clear the air between them, but Marat didnt want to.

Lee
01-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Whats this Mercedes car incident? I know of one where Marat verbally abused a female car official, but I dont know how Mal was involved, unless this was another car incident?
There was a little interview with Mal in the paper today and they mentioned an incident with Marat but he didnt want to talk about it. He said he'd tried to clear the air between them, but Marat didnt want to.

The female car official is Mrs. Washington! :o

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 03:19 PM

Experimentee, for your reading pleasure ;)

Marat car incident thread (http://www.wtaworld.com/archive/index.php/t-16176)

Bubble
01-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Experimentee, for your reading pleasure ;)

Marat car incident thread (http://www.wtaworld.com/archive/index.php/t-16176)

Wow, kudos to you for digging this out... ;)