Silly Poll! Do you still hate Duckboy? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Silly Poll! Do you still hate Duckboy?

tangerine_dream
01-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Please take a few minutes to answer my silly poll :silly: .... Do you still hate Andy Roddick now that he lost to Marat Safin?

Seles3
01-27-2004, 08:13 PM
i still do. You know it is weird. I am from the USA and I should support my countries players but I can't stand Agassi and Roddick. I love a lot of the other players though. Safin, Nalbandian, Ferrero and Federer.

I did love Pete Sampras

jtipson
01-27-2004, 08:15 PM
That presumes we did in the first place, so no!

Sjengster
01-27-2004, 08:20 PM
I can't say I ever really hated him, but I am glad we have another challenger returning to the top of the game to add variety to the mix - for a time during Roddick's hardcourt run last summer I really did think he could shut all the other New Balls out and completely take over tennis (and all this without having access to an ESPN propaganda drip-feed, it's really rather worrying). I still can't say that I actually like him, but now I know that he is one among a number of young faces who will all, hopefully, achieve great things. Like I said in my title thread in the Statistics forum, they've all got a long way to go to catch up with Hewitt's career results...

Scotso
01-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Still do.

sigmagirl91
01-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Quack, quack. In fact, I think that he should be the next "voice" for the AFLAC commercial.

RebelNYC
01-27-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm trying to find an address that I can send a THANK YOU note to Safin
for knocking Andy Roddick out of the Australian Open....You know, I
can't stand him, but I really blame the media for it...whenever Roddick
is playing those announcers go on and on and on ....as if he is the only
player on the tour.... THANK YOU SAFIN!

Seles3
01-27-2004, 09:01 PM
thats true^^^

*Ljubica*
01-27-2004, 09:50 PM
I never hated him - hate is too strong a word, - but I didn't like him before today - (neither his appearance, his personality nor his style of play), and today's result hasn't changed my opinion on any of these things.

HybridTheory
01-27-2004, 09:57 PM
i actually begin to like him after this tournie:lol:

Ma. Estefania
01-27-2004, 10:15 PM
I can tolerate him.....but only until the next tournament he's playing...

the cat
01-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Roddick is turning into a class act and a tremendous tennis player. :D

andylover_16
01-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Roddick is turning into a class act and a tremendous tennis player. :D

:)...I Agree

Lisbeth
01-27-2004, 11:44 PM
Well he's definitely still Duckboy and would be even if we all came to love him. He just IS Duckboy.

I will say however, that though he's not one of my favourites and I don't particularly enjoy watching his style, his game impresses me a lot more than it did a year or so ago, he always fights out every last point now - thus producing some interesting matches, and he's always been a decent sport. Never seen him not give the other guy a handshake and a friendly word.

the cat
01-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Maturity is good for everyone to reach. :) Andy has showed he's growing up on and off the court in the last year. And Andy shouldn't fret too much about losing this exciting match to Safin. Beating Safin and Agassi back to back just to reach the final is a mighty task for any player.

andylover_16
01-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Maturity is good for everyone to reach. :) Andy has showed he's growing up on and off the court in the last year. And Andy shouldn't fret too much about losing this exciting match to Safin. Beating Safin and Agassi back to back just to reach the final is a mighty task for any player.

i am grateful for your maturity:bigwave:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 01:01 AM
Well he's definitely still Duckboy and would be even if we all came to love him. He just IS Duckboy.

I will say however, that though he's not one of my favourites and I don't particularly enjoy watching his style, his game impresses me a lot more than it did a year or so ago, he always fights out every last point now - thus producing some interesting matches, and he's always been a decent sport. Never seen him not give the other guy a handshake and a friendly word.
He's always been a good sport yes, and always given credit to his opponents. And he certainly has a fine fighting spirit. If I was from another country, and didn't have to see and hear about him all the time, I might even like him. Although, I don't really enjoy his game, so I doubt I'd care for him all that much... I've found a way to root for Dent, and his game is even more suck to watch, so who knows :p

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 02:11 AM
Yes, I like that he lost. Why would one match change how I feel about him?

Leo
01-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Roddick is the devil. Safin is god.

Hasn't this already been established?! Duh.

Havok
01-28-2004, 02:54 AM
exactly Leo. preach it to the people:rocker2:

Leena
01-28-2004, 03:46 AM
I still hate Roddick, and I still hate everyone basically

rassklovn
01-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Nothing has changed, he is still the same shithead to me albeit with a much more improved game, it's so easy not to like him, he is so bad he made me cheer for Hewitt against thim.

Fedex
01-28-2004, 04:22 AM
I never hated Andy. I am finding myself tolerating him even more from yeasterday's battle with Safin. He showed heart. I still dont like him for the way he can act & his style of play, but hate is far too strong a word. Now i can quietly root for Federer to win this thing with Andy out of his way :)

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 08:05 AM
Still don't like him.. but I guess I can tolerate him a bit more now.. ;)

tennischick
01-28-2004, 11:04 AM
why would my feelings change after a single spanking? having to endure Pat Mac and Cliffy as they continued to drool all over him even as he was getting his ass spanked only reinforced my distaste. i will so enjoy the rest of this tournament now that the media has no choice but to shut the hell up about Duckboy.

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 12:04 PM
;) You really hate him, don't you? lol

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 04:57 AM
CooCoo, you should have seen the overwhelming crowd support for Safin, and I couldn't imagine opposition fans singing happy birthday to Roddick like they did with Marat.

So no, he is still the same on my radar and I think it would take a lot for me to change and it doesn't help that he has one of the biggest pricks coaching him ( though he is a good coach).

WyverN
01-29-2004, 05:28 AM
The fact that the crowd was going for Marat doesnt mean anything, the crowd almost always goes for the underdog especially a underdog who has been injured and unlucky and is playing the world #1

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 05:30 AM
the crowd may have been for Marat, but unless ESPN edited in some cheering for Andy, they were pretty nicely supportive of both players.

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 05:37 AM
WyverN could you imagine a whole bunch of fans from an opposition country singing happy birthday for Roddick?

Did ESPN show the whole match? The crowds don't generally boo people in Australia, not even Rusedski got booed this year, but the vast majority were going for Safin.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 05:44 AM
WyverN could you imagine a whole bunch of fans from an opposition country singing happy birthday for Roddick?

Did ESPN show the whole match? The crowds don't generally boo people in Australia, not even Rusedski got booed this year, but the vast majority were going for Safin.

They showed the first two sets and then picked it up at 1-1 in the 4th. It had to fit in their 3 measly hours of tape-delay coverage :rolleyes: All I know is what I heard, and I heard lots of cheers for both players.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 05:48 AM

Austra;lians are generally very laid back and nice people and if Mac had asked them to sing even for Kafelnikov they probably would have done it

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 05:50 AM
Austra;lians are generally very laid back and nice people

That's certainly the reputation you have here :)

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 06:23 AM
Wyver, the incident I am talking about is when the Swedish fans started singing Happy Birthday to Marat at the presentation after he lost to Johansson at the AO. Don't say this was a lie or made up either as I was there at that final.

It was done because, one they like Marat and he just finished working with with Wilander and two, whilst it was his birthday he was generous enough to help Johansson win the Australian Open.

They wouldn't sing for Roddick.

J. Corwin
01-29-2004, 06:32 AM
How do you know they wouldn't? We won't ever know for sure.

Had Andy lost to Thomas in 2002 AO final (hypothetically speaking), and it was Andy's birthday, I would think people would sing for Andy too.

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 06:40 AM
Jackson, I am very safe in the knowledge that most of the Swedish fans are not overly fond of Roddick, yes I have asked this question, and if they are not overly fond of someone, why would they sing happy birthday?

J. Corwin
01-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Well I didn't know that, GWH. Did they point out any reasons?

WyverN
01-29-2004, 06:49 AM
The swedes probably wouldnt sing for roddick but I bet the neutral australian fans would

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Thanks for that answer Wyver, I was expecting you to call me a liar again. Then again Safin isn't Swedish and many of those fans actually do appreciate players from other countries and Safin is one of the ones they appreciate, so that's why they sung happy birthday. The thing is I could tell you some stories, then again you would probably think that I made them up as well.

Jackson, I spoke to lot of people down there at the tennis from different backgrounds. The common theme was that if an Australian can't win the title anyone but Andy Roddick would be fine. I am not talking about the little kids and teenyboppers.

The reason many fans down here don't like him, he is seen as too American. I actually met people who dislike him more than I do, and these weren't nutters.

I will put it to you like this if he was more like Todd Martin or James Blake, then it wouldn't be so bad. It's just that to many people he symbolises the loud, brash, overconfident American stereotype, that plus the way he is on court as well doesn't help him at all. I am only giving you some of the reasons that people told me, as I have already stated my opinion him, and yes I still don't like Duckboy.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 07:48 AM
The thing is I could tell you some stories, then again you would probably think that I made them up as well.

I love Swede stories, I got some of my own back from when I was very young, a huge fan of Edberg and went to Aus Open with my cousin to cheer with the Swedes.

The reason many fans down here don't like him, he is seen as too American. I actually met people who dislike him more than I do, and these weren't nutters.

I don't like Roddick either and was as happy as anyone when Marat won. Marat is a great guy and I spoke to him in Russian back at the 2000 AO during a practice session, he seemed very genuine and a terrific person.

I will put it to you like this if he was more like Todd Martin or James Blake, then it wouldn't be so bad.

Todd is to much of a intellectual, the type that pretends to know a lot when in reality they dont.

It's just that to many people he symbolises the loud, brash, overconfident American stereotype, that plus the way he is on court as well doesn't help him at all.

Well I got nothing against Americans (apart from Bush ;)) in general so I dislike Roddick for totally different reasons.

J. Corwin
01-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Well that kind of personality does tend to polarize people's reactions. Either you like it or you don't.

If you have the time, I would love to read some of your stores. No, I wouldn't think you made them up.

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by WyverN
Marat is a great guy and I spoke to him in Russian back at the 2000 AO during a practice session, he seemed very genuine and a terrific person.

Thanks Wyver, now I know why you are a such stubborn individual sometimes, you are a Russian or at least someone who speaks it. It makes sense now and when I am back next year we must argue in person, it will be so much fun.

Seriously Safin is a very good guy and I totally believe you on that front. I actually had a chance to talk to him this year, we mostly joked about his time in Geneva ( I know some people there) and Spartak Moscow and he said the players drink too much in the off season.

About the Swede stories I am going to give you one of the old ones. Do you remember the great Mikael Pernfors? In 94 AO he played a 1st round match against Amos Mansdorf and got a hiding. We went on the Tuesday night and look who was there Pernfors. There were heaps about 100 fans there, and he shouted drinks for the whole night and the bill was at least in the thousands by the end of the evening. We had to carry him out at closing time.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Yes I am Russian. Don't know about the stubbornes, generally not like that in real life but the absolute basics we were arguing about, how could I not be stubborn?

do you travel to the slams every year?

We should definetly meet up during the next AO, nothing like discussing hewitt and Roddick while watching Hewitt & Roddick

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 08:31 AM
You're stubborn I mean come on Russians have to survive those winters and some of the interesting political systems. You love an argument, there isn't any doubt about that and decided to feed that love of an argument.

I make sure I get at least to the French Open or the Australian Open once a year, sometimes I go to both. The others I have been, but don't care too much for. The AO food is much cheaper than in Flushing Meadow.

J. Corwin
01-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the story.

I'd like to go to a slam one day.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the story.

I'd like to go to a slam one day.

Live to far away?
Its so much better then watching it on tv or going to smaller events

WyverN
01-29-2004, 09:49 AM
GWH, your lucky you can afford to travel to 2 slams a year

Leena
01-29-2004, 03:12 PM
If I was from another country, and didn't have to see and hear about him all the time, I might even like him.

I actually really like Andy's game. I respect how well he serves... because despite what most people think, it takes a lot of practice and dedication to serve as well as he does.

His forehand is a strong shot, that's technically pretty sound.

He comes across as an arrogant, spoiled jerk sometimes... but I like that too.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 03:30 PM
See now that's what I think is too bad. I totally understand ESPN's ridiculousness and it frustrates me too. But someone like Andy, I would like no matter where he was from. Maybe he comes across as arrogant sometimes but so do all these players. To me if anything is one of Andy's mental problems, it's that he's almost too insecure, especially against some opponents that have beaten him a lot. I think his confidence is actually something he still needs to work on. That combined with the classy things he always says about his opponents, win or lose, and how he always smiles and says something nice at the handshake, I don't see the arrogance, but whatever, wrong discussion lol.

It just seems like if you like someone for whatever reason, his game, his serve, his personality, whatever, doesn't it seem sad to let a huge media conglomeration have the power of turning you off from that person?

Wojtek
01-29-2004, 04:08 PM
No, I still hate his punk ass, win or lose

tennischick
01-29-2004, 09:48 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! i second that!!!! :) :D

Action Jackson
01-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by WyverN
GWH, your lucky you can afford to travel to 2 slams a year

Yes, I have been fortunate, but this year it will only be 1 Slam and maybe 2 Davis Cup ties. Next year it will be back to 2 Slams.

I second that, though the smaller events are fun in their own way,as the players don't take it as seriously as the Slams, and are usually easier to talk with.

Yes, as I said previously Duckboy isn't very popular here, or in the locker room and as jackson said he has a personality that people love or hate. It seems that more people outside the US aren't in tune with Duckboy.

Vass
01-30-2004, 10:00 AM
I dislike him less nowadays, but I never hated him in the first place. After I went to a couple of his sites, seen some videos of him playing, read interviews he didn't seem too bad.

J. Corwin
01-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Live to far away?

Yes, I would think so. I'm gonna be going to a small tournament very soon though.

Iza
01-30-2004, 08:26 PM
yes definitely! but i can't say I hate him, like Rosie said, hate is a much too strong word to say, but I strongly dislike him & his style.

lalaland
01-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Yes. I like that he lost, and why would that make me like him?

the cat
01-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Andy Roddick has won me over the last couple of years. :D He's so generous to the media while most players hide from the media. After he lost that brutally tough match to Safin, Roddick gave an excellent interview explaining the match and he even shared some laughs with the media during the interview. As a tennis fan I appreciate that instead of someone acting sullen and surly after a tough loss. Andy Roddick has come a long way, baby. :cool:

Deboogle!.
01-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Andy Roddick has come a long way, baby. :cool:

He sure has, which is why I'm optimistic that he'll keep growing out of the bratty on-court stuff he still does sometimes. Andy's consistently labeled one of the most press-available players on tour. I think he likes it, likes joking around, etc. One of the reasons I'm a fan, for sure!

darnyelb
01-31-2004, 12:41 AM
Still like him a lot. Not in my top ten list of players, but I like him enough. Contrary to what my friends think, I'm not anti-American in my tennis fan status LOL. I just happen to like a lot of the foreign players more.