electronic umpires [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

electronic umpires

coash
01-27-2004, 12:03 PM
I don't know if yous have it but right now in the Australian telecast they use a program called Hawkeye which shows the ball mark on close line calls

so why not just use that instead of having inaccurate calls from linesman and umpires when you can have flawless accuracy with calling the shots? it takes something liek 0.02s for the program to determine the mark. all you have to do is wire up an audio device to it to announce the call. umpires can just call the scores

Mane
01-27-2004, 12:07 PM
The umpire mistakes are the part of tennis.

Aurora
01-27-2004, 12:09 PM
I love the mistakes, always good to bring some extra tension! you gotta have linesmen to whine about and aim at if necessary...

CooCooCachoo
01-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Yep the tension is good :) Makes the sport more emotional as well.

Moreover, the short-circuit problems can definitely cause even bigger frustrations than the umpires do. And honestly, most umpires do just what they have to do.

Yonge
01-27-2004, 03:16 PM
We've discussed it here before and I agree with someone (forgot who it was) that maybe it's too expensive to install on all the courts, especially in a Grand Slam. But who knows? Maybe the Slams can afford it. It sure would end those "...the bad call was the turn-around" kind of matches.

CooCooCachoo
01-27-2004, 04:07 PM
That is a valid point as well. There is no way Futures and Challengers can afford that.