Safin celebrates 24th birthday by kicking Roddick's ass; Fed #1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin celebrates 24th birthday by kicking Roddick's ass; Fed #1

Tennis Fool
01-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Marat! :woohoo: :yeah:

Roddick, #1 :confused: :lol: Yeah, right.

Actually, great tennis by both.

Congrats Fed!

azinna
01-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Great thread. Great win. Great day.

Marat, you best not try and celebrate. Get yourself a massage and rest up. We got Andre next, child.

Lynne
01-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Tough five-setter!! Marat must be really pleased!! Oh, and Happy Birthday to Marat too!! When exactly is his birthday??

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 12:20 PM
You're premature on the "Fed #1" call.

jtipson
As much as I'd like Federer to be number one, Ferrero is not out of it by any means! So we still have to wait and see :)

But you're right that Roddick is no longer up there - he'll be 2 or 3 on the new rankings of 2nd Feb.

J. Corwin
Weird that I thought he was 24 already. ;)

Happy Bday. :)

TheBoiledEgg
01-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Marat :banana: some performance :D

just when you thought he was finished, he got up and with one last breath, he shot the duck to smitherines :devil:

Marat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yeah: :banana:

maratgirl
01-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Congrats to Marat!! he was so calm :kiss: he really deserved it

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 12:23 PM
I'm an asshole. Just in case there was anybody who didn't already know :devil:

kiro
01-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Marat :worship: :worship: :worship:
&

http://www.balloonideas.com/17221BurstingBalloons2.gif

yanchr
01-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Happy Birthday Marat! well done!
and keep fingers crossed for Roger's No1!!

WyverN
01-27-2004, 12:26 PM
WOW!!!!!

well done marat

if Roddick cant beat Safin in this event where he had every conceivable advantage then when can he beat him?

I wrote Safin of but he showed what a true champion he is

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 12:27 PM
WOW!!!!!

well done marat

if Roddick cant beat Safin in this event where he had every conceivable advantage then when can he beat him?

I wrote Safin of but he showed what a true champion he is
I wrote Safin off too.

Sometimes it feels so good to be wrong.

Mrs. B
01-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Happy Birthday! Cheers.

Tennis Fool
01-27-2004, 12:28 PM
When exactly is his birthday??

Today, 1/27 :)

Egg, thanks for the BBC commentary. Especially enjoyed John Mac's interview with Marat. JMac gushes over Marat the way his brother gushes over Roddick. Last year he lamented "Marat? Marat? Where are you?" Now he knows (fishing and camping :lol: )

The highlight was JMac leading the stadium crowd in a rendition of "Happy Birthday".

Interesting that the English commentators were pro-Marat...

marasafin
happy b-day marat and great win!!!

From me and all those in my family that i converted into safin fans!!!

KCVH
More than a great win. Unbelieveable, Marat into semis. Can't have a better filmscript written.

Gandalf
What must happen for Federer to be number 1?

Bubble
01-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Speechless performance by Marat.... It is his improved mental focus that impressed me alot ... He did it against all odds!

He made his promise that he will not lose on his birthday! :devil:

well done Birthday boy!

:worship:

oxy
01-27-2004, 12:29 PM
so federer will be no.1 for at least 1 day???

anyway happy 24th birthday marat!!!! great win for hunting down the duck!!! ;)

Billabong
01-27-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm speechless, I'm SOOOOO happy! Habby birthday Marat and CONGRATS for that great victory!!!

-wokkel-
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhoooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

jbone_14
yay abdy lost wooohoo

Tennis Fool
I wrote Safin off too.

Sometimes it feels so good to be wrong.

No, you were just using reverse-psychology ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 12:33 PM
I would never... :angel:

WyverN
01-27-2004, 12:34 PM
For Federer to be #1

If Fed

loses QF, JCF must make final
loses SF, JCF must win tournament.

*Ljubica*
01-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Not particularly a Marat fan - but well done anyway.

jcman
01-27-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm SOOOOOO HAppy right now!!
Go Marat , Beat Baldy!!

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Apparently I was so good that somebody in the tournament forum thought I was actuallly rooting for Roddick. LOL

Vass
01-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Just another "match between the number one player in the world and the BEST player in the world". It's becomming boring actually.

renatoal
01-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Congrats SAfin and happy birthday !! GOOd Luck against Agassi now !! A Federer x Safin Ausopen final will be FAntastic !!!

Kiara
01-27-2004, 12:49 PM
:woohoo: Marat!!! I knew he could do it, a true champion :D
happy Safin day everyone !!!! ;)

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Wow! Just got up and saw the scoreline! What a match that must have been! 2-6, 6-3, 7-5 6-7(0), 6-4

Congrats to Marat. Can't wait to see this match-up with Andre.

And Andy can't be ashamed of going down 6-4 in the fifth.

undomiele
01-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Happy Safin day haha! :D

I bet the chumps over at ESPN are having a fit! Serves em right!!!!!!!! The bastards!!!!! No more extensive footage of roddick!!!! yay! :devil:

Tennis Fool
01-27-2004, 01:03 PM
No more extensive footage of roddick!!!! yay! :devil:

Don't be quite sure.

amazingpotato
01-27-2004, 01:05 PM
I'm SOOOOOO HAppy right now!!
Go Marat , Beat Baldy!!

:haha: :haha: on d baldy part...cute name...i'm sooo happy marat is back in d game!!! :) :bounce: i love yah marat :notworthy:

Havok
01-27-2004, 01:18 PM
a deserved well done to Safin, and happy birthday! good to see another top guy back, and now we can rest asure he'll make it back to the top 10

elsie
01-27-2004, 01:19 PM
congrats Marat !!! he make the semi's :woohoo:
wishing you happy birthday !! :aparty:

CooCooCachoo
01-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Now I am not a Marat Safin fan, but:

HAIL to Marat! And Happy Birthday as well ;)

safinagirly
01-27-2004, 01:26 PM
yeah baby marat won it's so great

Vass
01-27-2004, 01:26 PM
This is what's called Roddick is over hyped: World No.86 Marat wins over World NO.1 Roddick and Roddick is still in the name of the article on AO site - "No more magic for Roddick"

sigmagirl91
01-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Yeah, now Mal, Patrick and co. can eat vegemite sandwiches, with a side of crow.

Lady
01-27-2004, 01:36 PM
:woohoo: Marat!! :kiss:
I thought you were too tired for the 5th set, you proved me wrong :worship:

Justine & Marat made my day today!

Scotso
01-27-2004, 01:37 PM
:bounce:

Vass
01-27-2004, 01:46 PM
He proved EVERYONE of us wrong!

Leena
01-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Marat didn't prove me wrong.

I knew he would win if he'd stop being a bumbling oaf for once...

Well, he still probably is one... but he won.

UDACHI MARAT!!!!!

Now, teach your Russian girls how to win.

Lady
01-27-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm just speechless!!

What a comeback!! :banana:

Reaching the semis of the slam by beating World #1 in 5 sets! :worship:

Iza
01-27-2004, 02:04 PM
YEAAAAY! Marat beat Roddick's ugly azzz :woohoo: And it was on his b-day 2 :bdaycake: For all o'ya Pandy fans now u know who is the champion! :nerner:

andylover_16
01-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Marat :banana: some performance :D

just when you thought he was finished, he got up and with one last breath, he shot the duck to smitherines :devil:

Marat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yeah: :banana:

no one thought he was finished...and he didnt really shoot him to "smitherines"..i believe it was a five set victory..good tennis from both

Congratualtions Marat!

Never thought i would say this but BEAT andre agassi:)

*is still disapointed that Andy lost, but i will get over it...wasnt his best tennis though..good...but not nearly his best:(*

alfonsojose
01-27-2004, 02:16 PM
It's going to be hard for Marat. He has played a lot. He can beat Andre, but He has to serve pretty well and avoid rallies.

Gandalf
01-27-2004, 02:17 PM
For Federer to be #1

If Fed

loses QF, JCF must make final
loses SF, JCF must win tournament.

Thanks, WyverN :wavey:

Safin must be hated by ESPN now: he's beaten Martin and then Blake and now Roddick and he'll try to beat Agassi. If he does, they'll bow to boycott his matches!

vaiva
01-27-2004, 02:21 PM
YEAAAAY! Marat beat Roddick's ugly azzz :woohoo: And it was on his b-day 2 :bdaycake: For all o'ya Pandy fans now u know who is the champion! :nerner:

Dugh, how dumb is that?

You could learn some class from Maratski:

"He played really well and has improved a lot since last time I played him," Safin said afterwards. "He served well, volleyed well and has a great forehand. It's tough to hold the baseline with him."

joie
01-27-2004, 02:27 PM
woo hoo :worship: :worship: :worship: yeah Patrick- Roddick and Agassi in semis :rolleyes: do you eat crow :D

TheBoiledEgg
01-27-2004, 02:34 PM
no one thought he was finished...and he didnt really shoot him to "smitherines"..i believe it was a five set victory..good tennis from both

Congratualtions Marat!

Never thought i would say this but BEAT andre agassi:)

*is still disapointed that Andy lost, but i will get over it...wasnt his best tennis though..good...but not nearly his best:(*

I was talking about the match in 5th set
Marat was looking very tired and hanging on but he got a chance and he took it.

maratski
01-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Andylover don't be in denial. Andy didn't play bad today, but Marat is just WAY better from the baseline. He kept returning well and the rallies were long, which was in Marat's advantage. Andy was too passive for most of the match and that's what cost him. Marat had no answer to the booming forehand, but made sure Andy couldn't play that shot too much. If Andy would have been more agressive, then the result might have been different. Marat is back in form and showed it today :)

star
01-27-2004, 02:52 PM
http://www.meuse.com/john/scream31.jpg

:lol:

star
01-27-2004, 02:53 PM
No seriously. Safin did great. His fans should be overjoyed as I would be if Andy had won. :)

Now, if Ferrero can't take it, I would want Safin to win.

sigmagirl91
01-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks, WyverN :wavey:

Safin must be hated by ESPN now: he's beaten Martin and then Blake and now Roddick and he'll try to beat Agassi. If he does, they'll bow to boycott his matches!

Gotcha Gandalf. Thanks to both you and WyverN for the info. This should be interesting....

Ads
01-27-2004, 03:00 PM
happy birthday! :kiss:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040127/capt.xmel10601271323.australian_open_xmel106.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040127/capt.mel16901271230.australian_open_mel169.jpg

Mr. Man
01-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, I can't be mad at Andy. It's not like he got his ass kicked (as the thread title says. Typical). Good Luck next time Andy.

Happy b-day Marat. Good win. Now please beat Baldy! PLEASE! :)

CooCooCachoo
01-27-2004, 04:01 PM
LOL Tangerine at that birthday smiley.. lol

Ma. Estefania
01-27-2004, 04:03 PM

They made mine too. :angel:

I haven't seen yet the match, but I bet it was great, due the compliments that have been posted here so far from both sides. :)

What a win, Marat! :D

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :worship:

gmak
01-27-2004, 04:12 PM
marat saved a disastrous day for me

well done marat :bounce: :devil: :woohoo: :yeah:
now go and get agassi :D :banana:

sigmagirl91
01-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Rebecca and WyverN, Safin was written off by the ESPN staff, so now who will they show tonight? Oh, yeah, Raymond against Schnyder.......typical....

Lucie
01-27-2004, 04:17 PM
marat :D

you know i used to hate roddick, but after today's match i really have a lot of respect for him, they both played great, but this was just meant to be marat's day :)
happy birthday marat!!

Leena
01-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Rebecca and WyverN, Safin was written off by the ESPN staff, so now who will they show tonight? Oh, yeah, Raymond against Schnyder.......typical....
They could show Roddick's Montreal and Cincinnati wins again.

ESPN needs us to feel more patriotic.

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Battle of the Divas!

Oh Andy, that shot was simply FABULOUS!!!

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 05:24 PM
:lol:

You bad boy, how DARE you pass me!

*Marat BigFan*
01-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Happy Birthday 24th Marat!! Nice win!! Now please win the tournament!! :wavey:

martinatreue
01-27-2004, 05:54 PM
:woohoo: Marat!! :kiss:
I thought you were too tired for the 5th set, you proved me wrong :worship:

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!

I agree 100%. It's all about Roger, JUSTINE and Marat!!!

Mr. Man
01-27-2004, 06:09 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MISTERQ!

:haha:

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Come over here and give the birthday boy a hug!!!

RogiFan88
01-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Yeah, now Mal, Patrick and co. can eat vegemite sandwiches, with a side of crow.

yeah and PMac and Fowler were gloating over the CERTAIN prospect of an AA/Pandy SF!!! licking their chops so to speak... :devil:

only Baldy left now... it's time for Marat to do it again! DAVAI!

AtPGiRL
01-27-2004, 06:42 PM

:haha: Maybe Marat will give them a bit of his DUCK he just ate for din din!! Davai Marat!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
:woohoo:

BelgianWaffle
01-27-2004, 06:57 PM
OMG! :woohoo:

so happy I aced my exam today AND marat won ;)
It's a good day :angel:

Vass
01-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Guys give Andy a break. I pitty him actually, now that the excitement is over.

Howlman
01-27-2004, 07:58 PM
CONGRATS SAFIN GLOATERS

Yes Safin won..........
BIG DEAL.....He played better than Roddick....BIG DEAL.....
Safin is 3 YES 3 years OLDER than Roddick...
The difference between the two men..
Safin is STILL A HUGE TALENTED IDIOT!!!!
His game is what it is......AND WILL NEVER CHANGE!!!
Roddick who by his own admission is still
DEVELOPING his talents is changing every match...THIS Thanks to Gilbert and others who are helping him train.
Although I am unhappy he lost..I look at the loss in a VERY positive light.
He will go back to the drawing board and fiqure out what happened....
Roddick is behind in his development, because for years he was told he could just get by
with his GREAT serve. If this would have been the Roddick of even a year ago Safin would have won in straight sets... Roddick served well, but by the stats got 30% FEWER ..YES>> FEWER FREE points than usual.
This to me says he is beginning to think more out on the court...So I say..KUDOS Andy.. you are probably upset...BUT ..I have faith that you will regroup and work HARDER..You are probably practicing right now before you get on that jet to come back to this GREAT country and I pray that you will live up to your God Given talents....
While I am SURE that Safin will be in the HO house im Melbourne after his next loss...
Just pyssing away his talents in VODKA like he has ALWAYS done in the past.

Seles3
01-27-2004, 08:05 PM
you sound jealous^^^ They both played a great match.

HybridTheory
01-27-2004, 08:24 PM
congrats to Marat, for his birthday and his victory,
it was a very good match to watch, and it's nice to see him back again

Howlman
01-27-2004, 08:29 PM
you sound jealous^^^ They both played a great match.

Not jealous at all!!!!!!! Just telling it like I SEE IT.
It was a great battle...AND NOT a GREAT match.

But you can have your opinion even if it is throught the eyes of a hater!

Seles3
01-27-2004, 08:32 PM
ok, then it was a great battle.

i don't care about this "hater" stuff! Great win Marat in your first Grand Slam back.

Sjengster
01-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Just the two years older, actually. Well, two and a half to be precise, but it hardly matters. I just find the notion that Safin's game is static and will never be as good as Roddick's best a wee bit laughable. It strikes me that this whole "Lazy, wasting his talent" line that people like to trot out against him isn't applicable at the moment, he really has changed his attitude. I expect a good match with Agassi, though a win seems unlikely especially to Safin himself.

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 09:05 PM
CONGRATS SAFIN GLOATERS

Yes Safin won..........
BIG DEAL.....He played better than Roddick....BIG DEAL.....
Safin is 3 YES 3 years OLDER than Roddick...
The difference between the two men..
Safin is STILL A HUGE TALENTED IDIOT!!!!
His game is what it is......AND WILL NEVER CHANGE!!!
Roddick who by his own admission is still
DEVELOPING his talents is changing every match...THIS Thanks to Gilbert and others who are helping him train.
Although I am unhappy he lost..I look at the loss in a VERY positive light.
He will go back to the drawing board and fiqure out what happened....
Roddick is behind in his development, because for years he was told he could just get by
with his GREAT serve. If this would have been the Roddick of even a year ago Safin would have won in straight sets... Roddick served well, but by the stats got 30% FEWER ..YES>> FEWER FREE points than usual.
This to me says he is beginning to think more out on the court...So I say..KUDOS Andy.. you are probably upset...BUT ..I have faith that you will regroup and work HARDER..You are probably practicing right now before you get on that jet to come back to this GREAT country and I pray that you will live up to your God Given talents....
While I am SURE that Safin will be in the HO house im Melbourne after his next loss...
Just pyssing away his talents in VODKA like he has ALWAYS done in the past.
Bitter

Howlman
01-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Just the two years older, actually. Well, two and a half to be precise, but it hardly matters. I just find the notion that Safin's game is static and will never be as good as Roddick's best a wee bit laughable. It strikes me that this whole "Lazy, wasting his talent" line that people like to trot out against him isn't applicable at the moment, he really has changed his attitude. I expect a good match with Agassi, though a win seems unlikely especially to Safin himself.
Sjengster...Never said that.....
Judging from WHAT I SAW..Just MY opinion..Safins game is EXACTLY the same as when he went on his HO binge and then got injured.
I said Roddick's game has changed DRASTICALLY from a year ago and has A WAYS to go....FACT!!!!
It remains to be seen if he has changed his attitute, and personally I don't care either way. But I don't see him changing the erratic aspects of his game in the near future. I could be wrong. That remains to be seen....You must admit that a t 6'7 he has a BIT of an edge over EVERYONE on the tour for that reason alone!!
I expect a good match with Agassi too, BUT as with Roddick it can go either way...HISTORY will show itself in the next few months..
So let's enjoy the SHOW!

Howlman
01-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Bitter

AS BITTER AS YOU CAN BE DEAR QUEEN.....
Actually after all of the hater cat-calls..it is pretty benign!!
Just an assesment of the climate on this board concerning a very talented player.
Don't like it DON'T READ! Simple....... that is what I do!!

Have a good day and don't overdue that peanutbutter!!!

Sjengster
01-27-2004, 09:15 PM
6'4", he's not THAT tall. Anyhow, Safin is only just coming back into the game, it's not like he was playing his very best tennis - with them both at their best, it could be an even tighter affair.

tennischick
01-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Safin's baaaaaaack!!!!!! long live the Duck-Hunter...:) :)

http://boitagifs.free.fr/images/personnages/dance5.gif http://boitagifs.free.fr/images/personnages/dance5.gif

Seles3
01-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Sjengster...Never said that.....
Judging from WHAT I SAW..Just MY opinion..Safins game is EXACTLY the same as when he went on his HO binge and then got injured.
I said Roddick's game has changed DRASTICALLY from a year ago and has A WAYS to go....FACT!!!!
It remains to be seen if he has changed his attitute, and personally I don't care either way. But I don't see him changing the erratic aspects of his game in the near future. I could be wrong. That remains to be seen....You must admit that a t 6'7 he has a BIT of an edge over EVERYONE on the tour for that reason alone!!
I expect a good match with Agassi too, BUT as with Roddick it can go either way...HISTORY will show itself in the next few months..
So let's enjoy the SHOW!

what is a HO binge?
Safin has room to improve also so....I mean he has just returned from injury

Howlman
01-27-2004, 09:30 PM
what is a HO binge?
Safin has room to improve also so....I mean he has just returned from injury

I agree!!! Why even the GREAT Federer has room to improve..
Actually the world has room to improve....I am giving Safin credit..I saiid he played well...
A Ho binge is MANY MANY nights tanked on vodka with various ladies of the evening.....

Howlman
01-27-2004, 09:32 PM
6'4", he's not THAT tall. Anyhow, Safin is only just coming back into the game, it's not like he was playing his very best tennis - with them both at their best, it could be an even tighter affair.NO ARGUEMENT FRM ME ON THAT ONE..
I don't consider you a "Gloater" Sjengster...
So please don't take the post personally!

qliz2000
01-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Congrats to Marat!

Roddick's out now, and another American has lost.
Next up...Agassi.

Should be an interesting match.
Marat should get two days off.

J. Corwin
01-27-2004, 10:09 PM
I just fully realized the title. It's not like Fed is assured the #1 come next Monday. ;)

WyverN
01-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Roddick served well, but by the stats got 30% FEWER ..YES>> FEWER FREE points than usual.

That can be attributed to Safins great returning! Roddick had 80% of first serves in, in the 4th set. Basically Roddick had to play out of his mind to keep up with Safin and he couldnt keep that level up in the 5th

Cut the excuses you fool.
I will tell you some reasons why Safin should have lost and why Roddick will never have a better chance to beat him.

Roddick was in the best form of his life in this event
Safin was struggling to beat guys like Vahaly and Todd Martin

Roddick was coming of a tremendous year and was #1 in the world
Safin was coming of a year of frustration and injuries and was #86 in the
world

Roddick was going into the match with half the time on court as Safin

Roddick has one of the best coaches while Safin is virtually coachless so arguably isn't even using his talents to the best of his ability

Roddick had every conceivable advantage in this match and you do have to
wonder if Roddick cant beat Safin here when can he beat him.

Any discussion of Roddick being more talented then Safin after that display
is void.

andylover_16
01-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Dugh, how dumb is that?

You could learn some class from Maratski:

"He played really well and has improved a lot since last time I played him," Safin said afterwards. "He served well, volleyed well and has a great forehand. It's tough to hold the baseline with him."

wow..im impressed..

Marat actually has some class..i would like to see that side of him come out more often...:)

andylover_16
01-27-2004, 10:18 PM
but Marat is just WAY better from the baseline.

hmm...i wouldnt go that far:)

croat123
01-27-2004, 10:20 PM
:banana:

J. Corwin
01-27-2004, 10:24 PM
That can be attributed to Safins great returning! Roddick had 80% of first serves in, in the 4th set. Basically Roddick had to play out of his mind to keep up with Safin and he couldnt keep that level up in the 5th

Perhaps, but not the whole scenario. Andy had a handful of breakpoints that he didn't convert. Had he converted, it could have been a quick win in the 5th set (or any of the other sets that he lost) for Andy. Same can be said of Marat of course. It boils down to the big points.

I will tell you some reasons why Safin should have lost and why Roddick will never have a better chance to beat him.

I wouldn't say never.

Safin was struggling to beat guys like Vahaly and Todd Martin

I don't think Andy is in the best form of his life. If you look around you will see that I haven't been that impressed with Andy's wins in his 1st 4 rounds. The blowouts were largely his opponents playing like ass.

And have ever thought that maybe Safin raised his level and played better in this match than he did against Vahaly and Todd Martin?

world

I think we all know that Safin plays better than the #86 ranking. That ranking reflects his injuries, not his ability.

True. Safin was also able to get more match tough with each round he pulled out a win.

Roddick has one of the best coaches while Safin is virtually coachless so arguably isn't even using his talents to the best of his ability

Ok

Roddick had every conceivable advantage in this match and you do have to
wonder if Roddick cant beat Safin here when can he beat him.

Just like any player out there, Andy can improve.

is void.

I don't think Roddick is more talented. But null and void? Who made you god? This is a message board.

the cat
01-27-2004, 10:34 PM
This great match was about Marat Safin proving he's back for real. :D Remember at the end of the 2003 season Safin could barely even win an ATP match. :eek: Now he looks like a grand slam title contender again. :)

I thought Roddick would take the match after winning the fourth set tiebreak. But Safin hung tough and deserved his hard earned win.

By the way, Safin is 6'5" tall. ;)

WyverN
01-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Perhaps, but not the whole scenario. Andy had a handful of breakpoints that he didn't convert. Had he converted, it could have been a quick win in the 5th set (or any of the other sets that he lost) for Andy.

Andy had a 3 of 7 break point conversion rate (43%)
Marat had 5 of 14 (36%)

So if anyone was unlucky with lack of conversion, it was Safin

I wouldn't say never.

Neither did I. I said he would never have a better opportunity. Logically speaking last night should have been a comfortable victory for Andy.

I don't think Andy is in the best form of his life. If you look around you will see that I haven't been that impressed with Andy's wins in his 1st 4 rounds. The blowouts were largely his opponents playing like ass.

I would say he was just as good as last years US Open, he was entering that "zone". Of course even there he was not unbeatable, Nalbandian came pretty close.

And have ever thought that maybe Safin raised his level and played better in this match than he did against Vahaly and Todd Martin?

I am talking about relative form. Even yesterday Safin was no where near the form that beat Sampras in USO 2000.

True. Safin was also able to get more match tough with each round he pulled out a win.

Everyone says it is a advantage to play 3 setters rather then get match tough through 5 setters.

Just like any player out there, Andy can improve.

So can everyone else so its all relative. The one shot I can see Andy improving significantly is the backhand.

Howlman
01-27-2004, 10:50 PM
That can be attributed to Safins great returning!
GREAT RETURNING....WRONGGGGGGGGG
That is NOT what I said.Roddick had 30% fewer FREE points THAT FOOL had nothing to do with Safins Returns..

Cut the excuses you fool.
Me the fool...I find that adjective appropriate for your silly school-boy responses concerning Roddick in many threads.

Safin was struggling to beat guys like Vahaly and Todd Martin.

ANY FOOL would know that Safin struggled in those matches because he was rusty and nervous..You also left out Blake...FOOL

world
That was due to his "HO binges with Vodka chasers"

They are both young...THAT WAS A LAME RESPONSE

Roddick has one of the best coaches while Safin is virtually coachless so arguably isn't even using his talents to the best of his ability.

That is EXACTLY why I SAID..Safin's game is exactly the same and won't improve unless something DRASTICALLY changes.

is void.
I didn't say Roddick was more talented than Safin at this time.
BUT we will see what the future has to hold for BOTh as the year unfolds..
OK FOOL!!!!!!!!

WyverN
01-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Actually if Safin wins this AO I expect him to go in another 3 year slump ;)

Conchon
01-27-2004, 11:02 PM
:bigclap: to both guys for the heart they displayed today

Concerning the evolution or lack thereof in Marat's game: I think his game has improved since USO '00. It is much more varied now and he has a much more consistent and competent net game that he lacked before. Just this very Aussie Open, it seems he constructs points better and plays smarter instead of simply bashing the ball.

tazban1
01-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Frankly, I thought one of the most impressive things about Marat's win is that I thought he won at only about 85% of his abilities. I thought Safin still made a lot of stupid errors. I like that Safin is adding another dimension to his game - maybe his admiration for Federer has motivated him to work on improving his all court game. Obviously, he still needs to polish up while rounding out his game, in addition to the rust from the long layoff, but I think it's a great sign that he keeps pushing his abilities.

jmp
01-27-2004, 11:59 PM
As I wrote in one of the many threads about this matchup, I expected Marat to tighten up his game, tighten up his mind, and kick butt. He really came through. The first time I thought he was in competitive form was when they showed his 5th set against Martin. Todd could have put him away like he's done so many others. But, when Marat got his first match point, he handled it! I still wasn't convinced he had his movement until I saw the portion of the Blake match ESPN decided to show. He always had the shots. So, with the head and the fitness, I was set!

Just like Lleyton/Roger, I wasn't about to count Andy out until the chair made the call. On top of that, Marat was the second server in that set. One break and he was probably toast. When Marat got the first break, I teared up! He still had to serve it out, though, and HE DID!!!!!!

The difference between this match and Lleyton/Roger is that I was a bundle of nerves!! I watched it the way the coaches do in the players' box. My stress level REALLY went up went ESPN skipped forward in the match! What the heck did that mean?!?!!! I won't be taping over this match any time soon because I want to go back and really enjoy it!

Good fight, Andy! :) Congrats and happy 24th, Marat! :D

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Remember at the end of the 2003 season Safin could barely even win an ATP match.
Barely? He didn't win one.

Then he changed shirts :lol:

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 12:11 AM
OK FOOL!!!!!!!!
Hey, I'm the only Fool in here. I don't want people to get the wrong idea, okay :D ;)

JeLuliA88
01-28-2004, 12:29 AM
Good to see Marat back and kicking Andy's butt!!!

rogicomel
01-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Congratulations Marat!! I'm soooo happy for you!

jcman
01-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Happy B-day, Marat, go and take the title!!
The American Killer!!!!

Leo
01-28-2004, 02:50 AM
Mister Q's diva post is :lol:

Happy Birthday, Marat. A well deserved win. If neither Nalbandian or Ferrero can step it up and win, I hope you do. :)

RogiFan88
01-28-2004, 03:07 AM
As I wrote in one of the many threads about this matchup, I expected Marat to tighten up his game, tighten up his mind, and kick butt. He really came through. The first time I thought he was in competitive form was when they showed his 5th set against Martin. Todd could have put him away like he's done so many others. But, when Marat got his first match point, he handled it! I still wasn't convinced he had his movement until I saw the portion of the Blake match ESPN decided to show. He always had the shots. So, with the head and the fitness, I was set!

Just like Lleyton/Roger, I wasn't about to count Andy out until the chair made the call. On top of that, Marat was the second server in that set. One break and he was probably toast. When Marat got the first break, I teared up! He still had to serve it out, though, and HE DID!!!!!!

The difference between this match and Lleyton/Roger is that I was a bundle of nerves!! I watched it the way the coaches do in the players' box. My stress level REALLY went up went ESPN skipped forward in the match! What the heck did that mean?!?!!! I won't be taping over this match any time soon because I want to go back and really enjoy it!

Good fight, Andy! :) Congrats and happy 24th, Marat! :D

of course they show the 2 sets that Pandy won... :rolleyes:

yep, I w love if Rogi, Marat or Juanqui won this slam!!

tennischick
01-28-2004, 03:27 AM
Hey, I'm the only Fool in here. I don't want people to get the wrong idea, okay :D ;)
no chance of that sweetie!!! ;)

Maraaaaaaat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am sooooo fucking stoked!!! ;)

Fedex
01-28-2004, 05:26 AM
I knew Marat would win this. ;) Did NOT know that it would be such a close match!!

maratski
01-28-2004, 09:27 AM
hmm...i wouldnt go that far:)

After seeing every single point of the match I would definitely say so ;)

Pea
01-28-2004, 04:56 PM
I like the title!:lol: Congrats Marat!