Can Jan-Mike get back to where he was? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Jan-Mike get back to where he was?

Sonic
08-09-2002, 08:07 PM
I really enjoyed seeing him get to the QF of Wimbledon (beating Hewitt) a couple of years ago, and having a great spring hardcourt season last year, reaching the Miami final etc. Then it all seemed to slip away.

I don't have any details if there is any reason why this happened, if anyone can post anything that would be cool.

So can he get back into the top 20, reach the finals of Masters series events, get to the 2nd week of slams again, and if he does, can he do it regularly?

Chloe le Bopper
08-10-2002, 08:35 AM
I dont think he is consistent enough to be a top player..

I do think he is good enough to rip through the draw of a big tournament every now and then, and should be ranked higher than he is.

Top 20-30 floater more likely though.

kournikova
08-22-2002, 07:01 AM
Hey im new here, but i was wondering does anyone have good pics of JMG? god i love him!

Yeah and i agree top 20-30 likely!

dots
08-22-2002, 04:56 PM
I think his biggest problem has been his body, that can be very fragile at times:( ) and the lack of proper coaching. Now don't get me wrong, I think his dad has done a wonderful job with Mike, but I think he should've moved on to another coach a few years ago, if only to see if other styles of coaching could have elevated his game a little bit. But no, he seems very loyal to his family and dad. He still lives with his parents at 25:eek: which is a rarity now on days.

Becca, I agre with you 100%, he's way too inconsistent to be a top player, but god enough to make a good showing now and then.

dots
08-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi kournikova! welcome... I have little time in my hands but I'll post a few pic of later tomorrow.:bounce:

anton
04-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Hey im new here, but i was wondering does anyone have good pics of JMG? god i love him!

Yeah and i agree top 20-30 likely!

Go to janmike.org...

anton
04-07-2004, 11:21 PM
I think his biggest problem has been his body, that can be very fragile at times:( ) and the lack of proper coaching. Now don't get me wrong, I think his dad has done a wonderful job with Mike, but I think he should've moved on to another coach a few years ago, if only to see if other styles of coaching could have elevated his game a little bit. But no, he seems very loyal to his family and dad. He still lives with his parents at 25:eek: which is a rarity now on days.

Becca, I agre with you 100%, he's way too inconsistent to be a top player, but god enough to make a good showing now and then.

He is working with a new coach now and his dad also.
Some people think he is a "kournikova." One thing they both share is frequent injuries...

binkygirl
04-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Is JM healthy or still hurting from shin splints? He can't seem to stop the downward spiral.

Does he still live at home with his parents?

YoursTruly
04-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Overall, combine all societies and cultures in the world, and living with your parents at 25 is not uncommon at all. It's no big deal.

jmgsdoubsprtnr
04-20-2005, 02:06 AM
he isn't living with his parents... he had a house built across a creek or river or something from his parents... unless that plan went out the window? :confused: i just remember reading an article on him having a house built.

Fee
04-20-2005, 02:08 AM
Hmm, I thought this thread had died...

Okay, to answer the question seriously, JMG was once #14 in the world. Can he get back there? No (which kind of hurts me to say because I adore him in many ways, but...). He will be 28 in June and he is running out of time. My best hope for him is to get back into the Top 100 or even the Top 50, get his confidence back and become a dangerous floater, a guy who can make the quarters, semi's, even a final or two, and finish his career with dignity. I'd also like for him to win a match on clay before he finishes, but I don't know if he truly believes that he can.

Yes, he is still dealing with this damn leg pain, and that's been going on for just over 2 years now. It seems like it comes back at the worst possible times for him and it affects his ability to move his feet. I think it is one of the things affecting his confidence, but that's just speculation on my part. He does still live at home, but its a huge house, and he is in the process of building his own (which is also pretty big). He was considering moving into his new house earlier this year, while they put the finishing touches on it, but I think he may have given up on that idea and decided to wait until its completely done. We'll see how he does at his next tournament, the Tunica Challenger, on May 2nd. :D

binkygirl
04-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Fee, do you know what JMG does for his shin splints? Deep tissue massage and heat are supposed to be good.

Tennis unfortunately has no off season, maybe he needs an extended break to rejuvenate.

Fee
04-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Don't know exactly, but he did tell me he uses heat for them. He had a good break last year, went to Hawaii in November and did not play much while he was there. I think there is something else going on in his shins, but again, that's just my own speculation. We haven't discussed it as much as I would like to.

binkygirl
04-20-2005, 11:17 PM
he isn't living with his parents... he had a house built across a creek or river or something from his parents... unless that plan went out the window? :confused: i just remember reading an article on him having a house built.

He's selling that and it was never completed.

jmgsdoubsprtnr
04-21-2005, 01:02 AM
He's selling that and it was never completed.
oh... and where did you find that out?

Fee
04-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Probably from my messageboard. I had a picture and the listing info posted for one day. The house is still being finished and he still plans to move into it. He doesn't have to sell it if he doesn't get a decent offer.

alfonsojose
05-05-2005, 06:19 PM
JMG :sad: