Cairns Taipans sign Rob Rose .. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cairns Taipans sign Rob Rose ..

Mr Flamboyant
07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
For the NBL followers out there .. The worst kept secret in Cairns was confirmed today when the Taipans signed Robert Rose on a three month contract to cover for injured forward Gary Boodnikoff.

The former Townsville Croc and two-time league MVP will suit up in Snakes colours for at least the first six games of the 2006/07 season, while Boodnikoff completes his recovery from ankle surgery.

Cairns has also signed a replacement import for Chris Burgess, who opted to pursue a lucrative deal in Europe, rather than return for a fourth season in the far north.

The club is awaiting approval from the NBL before officially announcing who the new import is.

good_gambler
07-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Any news on CJ Bruton?
How is his time in the US of A going?
Will he be playing for the Bullets?

Mr Flamboyant
07-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Any news on CJ Bruton?
How is his time in the US of A going?
Will he be playing for the Bullets?

Looks like it at this stage .. Reading around a few places that've been tracking Bruton's efforts to secure an NBL deal, it sounds like he's a long shot at best.

So Brisbane can continue their salary cap rort for another season!

good_gambler
07-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Mr Flamboyant are you from Queensland?

Mr Flamboyant
07-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Of course! Home is Brisbane, career is currently in Cairns ..

good_gambler
07-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Interesting...
I'm from Ingham up in North Queensland...about 3 hours from Cairns.

dave nz
07-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Not a good signing IMO, with all due respect to Rob and his fine career I think his best years are behind him.

Mr Flamboyant
07-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Interesting...
I'm from Ingham up in North Queensland...about 3 hours from Cairns.

Ahh, beauty .. do you get Win News from Townsville or Cairns? If it's the latter you may hear a familiar voice during the sports break.. ;)

Mr Flamboyant
07-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Not a good signing IMO, with all due respect to Rob and his fine career I think his best years are behind him.

Agree, the "Magician" has lost a lot of his old tricks but when guys go down with injury in the middle of the off-season it's more often than not a case of grabbing the best of the "fish john west reject" .. Rose is only on a three month deal, although Alan Black may elect to keep him on if his form warrants it.

The Taipans have a few pieces of the puzzle to fit yet .. They're chasing a four man (to replace the retired Melvin Thomas), with Axel Dench topping the list .. And if and when Darnell Mee becomes 'naturalised' midway through the season, there could be the option of bringing in another import.

The latter would pose some risk though because the club would have to basically play the first half of their campaign a man short. And there's no guarantees when it comes to bringing in imports midway through a season.

good_gambler
07-15-2006, 05:12 AM
Ahh, beauty .. do you get Win News from Townsville or Cairns? If it's the latter you may hear a familiar voice during the sports break.. ;)

Win News from Townsville! :(

Mr Flamboyant
07-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Ah well, whenever they take a story from Cairns then! (not for the next two weeks though, am on holidays)

good_gambler
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Ah well, whenever they take a story from Cairns then! (not for the next two weeks though, am on holidays)
I'll keep an ear out then.

sports freak
07-19-2006, 12:35 PM
For the NBL followers out there .. The worst kept secret in Cairns was confirmed today when the Taipans signed Robert Rose on a three month contract to cover for injured forward Gary Boodnikoff.

The former Townsville Croc and two-time league MVP will suit up in Snakes colours for at least the first six games of the 2006/07 season, while Boodnikoff completes his recovery from ankle surgery.

Cairns has also signed a replacement import for Chris Burgess, who opted to pursue a lucrative deal in Europe, rather than return for a fourth season in the far north.

The club is awaiting approval from the NBL before officially announcing who the new import is.

Wow there's still life in the old legs :D its good to see :)

good_gambler
08-16-2006, 09:34 AM
:eek:
The Bullets signed Ebi Ere.

They'd wanna win the premiership this year. :scared:

Mr Flamboyant
08-18-2006, 01:34 PM
:eek:
The Bullets signed Ebi Ere.

They'd wanna win the premiership this year. :scared:

Last season Rick Burton looked me in the eye at a press conference and swore the league was legit from a salary cap perspective .. If you can show me how CJ Bruton, Dusty Rychart, Sam Mackinnon, Mark Bradtke, Ebe Ere and some pretty handy supporting acts all fit under $736,000 I'll declare you the world's most "creative" accountant!

Having said that, the Bullets' previous "dream teams" have fallen down big time in terms of chemistry and knowing / sticking to their roles.

They look to have got it right with this group though .. CJ Bruton and Ere will obviously have an understanding after their time together at the Kings and Dusty Rychart just gets his job done night after night .. Even when that job is matching up on an opposition centre ..

The pressure will be right on them though .. they'll need to get wins in the bank right from the get go or everyone will be on their backs (including their extremely fickle home fans!).

If Melbourne remain intact, they're still the early favourites for mine .. Their size is just outstanding .. Anstey aside, they have something like six guys over 200cm .. Then there's Dmac, who's getting better the further into his 40's he goes!

good_gambler
08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
I'd really like to think that they are not breaching the salary cap, BUT with a line-up like they have had over the past 2 seasons it is very hard to see how they are not.

And as I open the NBL homepage I see "Bullets sign Tragardh"
Complete waste of money, imo.

I don't think the team will worry to much about the home fans as none of the group are from Brisbane... so whilst alot of the coaching staff and such will feel it, most individuals within the team won't.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to Bobby Brannen? :sad:
Also, where is Ben Walker these days?
Joey Wright had big wraps on him in his half season he played, replacing Freeman, a couple seasons back.. but didn't hear of him since?

Mr Flamboyant
08-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Brannen was playing in Puerto Rico last I heard .. In the same team as Chris Burgess (former Taipans centre) .. His name was thrown around as a possible import option with the Snakes this season, but they went with Damon Thornton ..