Ferrero, Grosjean -how they doin'? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ferrero, Grosjean -how they doin'?

undomiele
01-26-2004, 02:04 PM
The currently least talked about quarterfinalists both here and in the media. Thoughts? Opinions? These guys definitely deserve much more respect than theyve been given in the media. Especially Grosjean.
God, he wears those little alligators well. ;)

I think the Nalbandian-Federer match will be a long one which means Ferrero (my fave to beat Arazi) will have a good crack at the winner but of course I can't really make an opinion being that I havent been able to watch any of his matches due to the sons of bitches over at ESPN (GRRRRRR!!!! :mad:) who have long since replaced their rational human programmers with dirty funky monkeys from Mars for corporate shits and giggles.

Anyway in the increasingly real chance that Nalby and Feds end up nearly killing eachother, I would find it more than ironic that Ferrero could end up stealing both their thunders and make it into the final. Revenge of the US Open debacle vs roddick perhaps?

And how about this frenchman with the cute Gators? He's quietly put together a phenomenal game and unsurprisingly made it to yet another GS QFinal. At least it was unsurprising to me. Why do ppl underestimate this guy? Gators rock!

jcman
01-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Seb Go!!!Beat Andre!!

Havok
01-26-2004, 02:42 PM
if you watched ESPN's coverage last night, you would have seen ferrero:p they showed the match from the 3rd set, i think, and on:yeah: ferrero was playing really well, but he's gotta clean up his game a little bit. serve was really good, forehand superb as usual. backhand as well was good. he called for a trainer in that 2nd set and i think it was his left leg that was strapped, but he was still moving quite well though.

Ma. Estefania
01-26-2004, 03:16 PM
if you watched ESPN's coverage last night, you would have seen ferrero:p they showed the match from the 3rd set, i think

Naldo, fortunately for me, here in Latin America we don't have the same coverage as in the US. :angel:

Last night we just could watch Myskina vs. Rubin; and then David vs. Cañas. :)

sam
01-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Good luck to sebastian

oxy
01-26-2004, 03:32 PM
i feel that ferrero has to battle with his injuries more than battling with his opponents...from what i see from his play...he is playing well but not running round as much as he would have like to due to his injuries...if he is able to overcome his injuries i tink he has a chance to go far but im afraid his injuries will take a toll on him soon....its pretty sad but he has done well....shrugging off injuries to win matches...this shows that his mental has improved...hope that he will keep on working on his brain!!!

Yashirobai
01-26-2004, 04:03 PM
I've seen all Ferrero's matches since R64 and he is not playing well, he is definetly far away from his best, probably because all those injuries. Hopefully he'll be OK next day and play his best... supposing he doesn't get another injury...

And, in any case, what is absolutely true is that Ferrero is like vanished. In ATPTennis.com, for example, thay are always talking about Roddick, Federer and Agassi, as well as Hewitt. Less, Safin and Philippoussis. You won't read a word of Ferrero or Grosejan...

Aurora
01-26-2004, 04:42 PM
True about the injuries, it's gettin a guessgame for which bodypart each time he calls the trainer. He isn't his best, true, but certainly I've seen more than glimpses of brilliant game. To me it seems it ain't that far away and a tough matchup could force it out - confidence is needed though. Now is the time to show his balls, not playing the genius-tennis but winning on heart. Depends on Arazi if that chance comes in quarters or semis! His return of serve was looking very good I think, or am I wrong?

loco_moskito
01-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Allez Seb!

Chloe le Bopper
01-26-2004, 09:16 PM
I've seen all Ferrero's matches since R64 and he is not playing well, he is definetly far away from his best, probably because all those injuries. Hopefully he'll be OK next day and play his best... supposing he doesn't get another injury...

And, in any case, what is absolutely true is that Ferrero is like vanished. In ATPTennis.com, for example, thay are always talking about Roddick, Federer and Agassi, as well as Hewitt. Less, Safin and Philippoussis. You won't read a word of Ferrero or Grosejan...
Indeed.

The future of mens tennis is all about Roddick and Federer, didn't you know? Safin, Ferrero, Hewitt, Nalbandian, Coria... those guys are all set to retire with Andre.

Ferrero has the best grand slam record of any man on the planet in the past year, yet somehow he's being COMPLETELY ignored. I don't understand this at all. Sure his draw has fallen apart awfully nicely for him, sure he isn't playing his best... but that's the thing; he doesn't HAVE to play his best. He wasn't playing his best at the USO until he met Hewitt. He wasn't playing his best at RG until he had to against Gonzo.

But whatever. People can ignore facts all they would like ;)

Havok
01-26-2004, 09:21 PM
awww Rebecca. as long as you know, who cares that the official atp site ignores him. imo that's just wrong. if you mention Roddick, you more often than not have to mention Federer and Ferrero since they're all so close in points/rankings. but some people are just fucks what can you do huh:shrug:

Chloe le Bopper
01-26-2004, 10:21 PM
awww Rebecca. as long as you know, who cares that the official atp site ignores him. imo that's just wrong. if you mention Roddick, you more often than not have to mention Federer and Ferrero since they're all so close in points/rankings. but some people are just fucks what can you do huh:shrug:
It doesn't bother me. I just find it misleading that the media doesn't accurately portray mens tennis. If everybody wants to ignore him, why should I care? It's just worth mentioning, is all.

Ferrero is neither American enough, nor versed in English enough for them to market as a "star". That, and let's face it... his on court behavior doesn't exactly inspire too many people.

Those are the ropes.

It's just unfortunate that people can't see past all that and actually look at results ;)

Hispanica
01-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Completly true... ferrero is a very reserved person with such a quiet behaviour that there is no gossip about him.

About his injuries I fear it will end up like in RG... He reaches the final but completly misses it. Hope it doesn't happen and he will recover a bit.

Seb already played a semi here and it's just his injuries which have been the cause to his not very good results these 2 past years.
Also his semi against Alex in RG the same year as for Aussi Open

Havok
01-27-2004, 12:38 AM
i actually find him quite intruiging on court. yeah he's mostly quiet, but he can let out some frustration or some "vamos"es now and then. and he speaks the english language well enough imo.

Leo
01-27-2004, 02:54 AM
True about the injuries, it's gettin a guessgame for which bodypart each time he calls the trainer. He isn't his best, true, but certainly I've seen more than glimpses of brilliant game. To me it seems it ain't that far away and a tough matchup could force it out - confidence is needed though. Now is the time to show his balls, not playing the genius-tennis but winning on heart. Depends on Arazi if that chance comes in quarters or semis! His return of serve was looking very good I think, or am I wrong?

I agree with this, except for the last line. Based on the Pavel match, Ferrero's returns are absolutely shit. He keeps overhitting them. His serve, on the other hand, is holding up very well under pressure. Yesterday he only faced 3 break points in the match. In fact, he only lost 2 points on serve in total in the first set! :eek: But the returns, along with some of the passers, are looking sloppy. Another worry, for sure, is Ferrero's fitness. All these injuries (although none of them are serious), and he was looking a bit fatigued at the end of his last match. I just want him to finish this tournament with some good tennis, win or lose, and take some time off until IW/Miami or even the clay court season. His body clearly needs some more rest, and I'd like to see him go into the clay season fully fit and ready to dominate. :D

I think Nalbandian/Federer will beat Ferrero in the semis, if he can get past the 'lil Rockin' Morrocan. That's just my feeling based on form, confidence, and physicality.

Leo
01-27-2004, 02:58 AM
i actually find him quite intruiging on court. yeah he's mostly quiet, but he can let out some frustration or some "vamos"es now and then. and he speaks the english language well enough imo.

Yup, his on-court English has definitely improved. He makes good use of advanced vocab like "fuck" and, well, "fuck you." If I'm not mistaken, he threw a couple curses at the chair umpire yesterday, and rightfully so. Norm Chryst (sp?) gave Ferrero a time violation for waiting too long on the changeover, but not Pavel, who actually took more time to get out of the chair. Open your eyes, Norm. :lol:

Alan
01-27-2004, 09:29 AM

nope, ive been watching and reading everyday all about the Ausie Open, and it's all about RODDICK and FEDERER!!

maybe that's why I was rooting for hewitt when i watched their 4th round match, i just got kinda felt tired from all the hype

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 09:35 AM
nope, ive been watching and reading everyday all about the Ausie Open, and it's all about RODDICK and FEDERER!!

maybe that's why I was rooting for hewitt when i watched their 4th round match, i just got kinda felt tired from all the hype
Hilarious. That's exactly why I was rooting for him too. Well... that's part of the reason :)

Aurora
01-27-2004, 01:07 PM
I agree with this, except for the last line. Based on the Pavel match, Ferrero's returns are absolutely shit. He keeps overhitting them. His serve, on the other hand, is holding up very well under pressure. Yesterday he only faced 3 break points in the match. In fact, he only lost 2 points on serve in total in the first set! :eek: But the returns, along with some of the passers, are looking sloppy. Another worry, for sure, is Ferrero's fitness. All these injuries (although none of them are serious), and he was looking a bit fatigued at the end of his last match. I just want him to finish this tournament with some good tennis, win or lose, and take some time off until IW/Miami or even the clay court season. His body clearly needs some more rest, and I'd like to see him go into the clay season fully fit and ready to dominate. :D

I think Nalbandian/Federer will beat Ferrero in the semis, if he can get past the 'lil Rockin' Morrocan. That's just my feeling based on form, confidence, and physicality.

So I was wrong, I guess I let my hope speak more than my memory... it's perhaps the one big thing missing in his game, returns.

Hispanica
01-27-2004, 02:59 PM
I feel the same think with the French Open and the french channel. During Roland Garros, the first thing I hope is the french to be kicked out so they scheduled games without french.

MisterQ
01-28-2004, 05:17 AM
Well Arazi managed to lose the second set after being up 6-3 in the tiebreak. So unless he has a miracle run, Ferrero's on to the semis. :mad:

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Arazi's not backing down. He just held to love for 2-2 in the third. This will be difficult for Ferrero - who according to the Eurosport commentators is still struggling physically - to close out.

Ferrero really slipped up in that second set. He had 6-1, 5*-4, and 40-15, but allowed Arazi back in with some bad volleying (a sign that maybe he's hurting in the long baseline rallies and wants to end the points prematurely at net). Arazi then fucked up from 6-3 up in the tiebreak. Juan Carlos is lucky to be in this winning position now and hopefully he won't have to be out there too much longer.

Hispanica
01-28-2004, 06:08 AM
This game is making me nervous... please, win in 3 sets JC

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 06:10 AM
18 aces? Not bad.

Leo
01-28-2004, 06:20 AM
I'm having a fucking heart-attack listening to this match. Don't choke, Ferrero! If you make the semis, I'll be pleased (he'll have done better than Roddick and will be guaranteed a Top 2 ranking by the end of the event).

Hispanica
01-28-2004, 06:21 AM
He won!!!!!

Leo
01-28-2004, 06:21 AM
Ferrero 6-1, 7-6(6), 7-6(5)!

As the great philosopher Queen Rebecca once said, "rahr!"

*dances* *shakes bootay*

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Ferrero 6-1, 7-6(6), 7-6(5)!

As the great philosopher Queen Rebecca once said, "rahr!"

*dances* *shakes bootay*
Grar! I did say that once.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Judging by the stats, and what I saw on the scoreboard in the last set, it looks like Ferrero's MASSIVE LIABILITY of a serve may be what kept this to three.

Pink Panther
01-28-2004, 06:29 AM
HURRAY!!! Was on the edge of my seat listening to that live commentary. Well at least he's done it in three sets and is now guaranteed a No. 2!

:bounce:

Scotso
01-28-2004, 06:37 AM
:bounce:

WyverN
01-28-2004, 06:43 AM
A bit of a lucky escape from Ferrero despite the straight sets. He was serving well but was a little lucky to save set points in set 2 & 3.

Has a chance against Nalby and Fed in the semis but will need to pick his game up further.

Leo
01-28-2004, 06:45 AM
Judging by the stats, and what I saw on the scoreboard in the last set, it looks like Ferrero's MASSIVE LIABILITY of a serve may be what kept this to three.

Absolutely. And that's been the case for him in most of this tournament. The serve has been stronger than the return.

Leo
01-28-2004, 06:46 AM
Grar! I did say that once.

Fine, then. "Rahr!" is my patented phrase.