marat vs andy [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

marat vs andy

safinagirly
01-26-2004, 11:37 AM
:confused: in 1/4 finale who do u think is going to win?

renatoal
01-26-2004, 11:40 AM
SAfin !

undomiele
01-26-2004, 01:37 PM
I want Safin to win but its going to be tough.

Havok
01-26-2004, 01:55 PM
does it really matter? if there's a poll, and Safin is one of the choices, people just vote for him right away probably without even reading what the poll is all about. oh and btw, there's already a poll about this matchup:wavey:

fleemke²
01-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Well I don't know ... but I hope Marat :D

alfonsojose
01-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Marat Safin ... :)

jmp
01-26-2004, 09:35 PM
I don't mind voting for Marat again in this poll. :) Go Marat!! :D

But, safinagirly, I'm curious as to why you would start a second poll when there is already one on the board.

Naldo, I'm surprised that you implied people vote blindly for Marat in any poll regardless of his form and mentality. I really expected Andy to be the overwhelming favorite in the first poll posted here because he's ranked number one and he's been demolishing his opponents. I kind of thought tennis viewers had short memories and wouldn't even care that Marat was trying to make a comeback. What do you think?

Havok
01-26-2004, 09:41 PM
I don't mind voting for Marat again in this poll. :) Go Marat!! :D

But, safinagirly, I'm curious as to why you would start a second poll when there is already one on the board.

Naldo, I'm surprised that you implied people vote blindly for Marat in any poll regardless of his form and mentality. I really expected Andy to be the overwhelming favorite in the first poll posted here because he's ranked number one and he's been demolishing his opponents. I kind of thought tennis viewers had short memories and wouldn't even care that Marat was trying to make a comeback. What do you think?
errr, i just said people vote for Marat without even reading what the poll has to do with, not regarding what his current form and mentality stands.
case in point:
oops I misread the question and voted for Marat. He'll win no doubt, but perhaps without a bagel. I actually would have voted for Roger or Andre.

SaFed2005
01-26-2004, 09:47 PM
I hope Safin wins but I think Roddick will win...

Havok
01-26-2004, 09:51 PM
who did you vote for anantak2k?
interested if you voted properly, or just voted safin like i said earlier about polls and safin put together

jmp
01-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Naldo, thanks for clarifying the "Marat" phenomenon. I would say that it's been my experience that many people don't read carefully, whether it's a Marat poll or not. I'm not familiar with the poll you used as an example. Did it have to do with specific matchups? Did you notice the same voting pattern in the first Andy vs Marat poll?

I really like to see a player's form when it's possible before I make a choice. Otherwise, I'll usually say in my post that I haven't been able to see enough of a player to do more than speculate.

To the second part of my question, why isn't Andy an overwhelming favorite with his ranking and tournament performance? I've always gotten the impression that Andy has a very large fan base.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 10:10 PM
To the second part of my question, why isn't Andy an overwhelming favorite with his ranking and tournament performance? I've always gotten the impression that Andy has a very large fan base.

Sure. he gets crowd support almost everywhere he goes. Not here, though. If you look at the first poll that was created an who voted for it, save for maybe two or three people, of those who OPENLY say they do not like Andy voted for Marat. And to be fair, most of those who OPENLY like Andy voted for Andy. It's pretty much a pervasive trend here at MTF. That's why the polls mean absolutely diddly :)

jmp
01-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb

Sure. he gets crowd support almost everywhere he goes. Not here, though. If you look at the first poll that was created an who voted for it, save for maybe two or three people, of those who OPENLY say they do not like Andy voted for Marat. And to be fair, most of those who OPENLY like Andy voted for Andy. It's pretty much a pervasive trend here at MTF. That's why the polls mean absolutely diddly :)

It's interesting that you've come to that conclusion about this board. I only frequent this board and WTAWorld.com because the other boards I've seen don't appeal to me. But, I'm sure that I've seen a lot of pro Andy threads here and, surprisingly, on the WTAWorld general board during USO '03. Also, despite the ESPN/media hype, I would never have chosen Rudseski(sp) at Wimbledon, Henman at the USO, or Dent here to beat Andy. Greg and Tim were coming off of injuries and Tim beating Andy at a tune up is NOT Tim beating Andy at his home country major. Dent showed glimpses of new form at USO '03. I was hoping he would perform well. But, he's not 2004 Andy ready. It is possible that I miscontrued the number of fans with the frequency and intensity of their posts. For example, there is a "Is Andy Ready to Dominate?" thread on the AO forum that I thought would be an interesting discussion of the contrasting styles of the current elite players. Unfortunately, the thread didn't develop into that type of discussion and so I had nothing to contribute to or learn from the discussion.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Ummmmm.... well let's see. There is the "Duck Hunt" thread, which while I understand is largely in jest, is dedicated to cheering for whomever Andy is playing for the sole reason they are playing Andy. Admitting he has a good chance of winning match x and/or against player x has no bearing on whether people here like him or not. As for the pro-Andy threads at MTF where the 10 or so active Andy fans on this board weren't 99% of those involved... well I haven't seen them yet. And save for what appears to be a pretty small handful, there are a lot of people on this board who can't even give Andy credit when logic would argue he deserves it (winning the USO, ending the year at #1, take your pick.)... a "luck" or "the USTA fixed it for him" or "so-and-so choked and that's why Andy won" is the more oft-taken path.

I wouldn't suggest using the "Is Andy Ready to Dominate" thread as a gague for anything because it was created by a person who inflamed, insulted, and antagonized many of the other Andy fans just as much as anyone else, both with what he said about Andy in that thread and personal attacks he chose to take at us on the Andy forum. A while back, we had a couple of very interesting, productive, and most importantly, mature threads about Andy where those who are not fans came to the Andy forum and we had a great discussion, until a couple of knuckleheads trolled over the thread with "Andy sucks, Roger rules!!!!!!!!!" and the like.

I guess, my point is that there are probably only a small handful of people at MTF who make it impossible to have real and interesting discussions with Andy because they come in and say such antagonizing things that I (and plenty of other Andy fans) end up getting defensive and it turns into a fight.

And of course, this is only my take. I'm not saying that this is absolutely the way it is here. it's just the experience that I've had in the past few months that I've been here.

jmp
01-26-2004, 11:00 PM
You know, bunk, I guess I'm too high on tennis and all the great professionals in the sport that I really missed the minority of Andy fans. I'm not that interested in Duck Hunts, Potato Peelers, penis sizes, fat Texans, safinsluts, or any of that other stuff. I really, really like tennis and great performances. So, any time I get to see someone excel at whatever it is they do, I'm too overjoyed at their level of expertise to get bogged down in the minutiae. It's too bad that Andy fans don't feel welcomed here. Maybe that will change... :)

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 11:08 PM
well I mostly agree with you. I let myself get side-tracked into "chit chat" discussions but that's just b/c most of the people here are fun to talk to and intelligent people far beyond the world of tennis. our long talk in the Kooyong thread about peanut butter and the like was the most fun I've had on the board - maybe because it DIDN'T have anything to do with who anyone's favorite or least favorite player was. It was just plain fun!

With almost no exception, there aren't any players I dislike, especially enough to the point where I'd use up my energy on it and arguing about it. But, to each his own. That's the way this board runs and if I want to stick around I have to deal with it, I understand that, and I try to avoid the situations as much as I can.

I don't feel unwelcomed here, but sometimes I feel like my opinion is unwelcomed and/or unrespected. But it's not until the attacks get personal that I really get upset. I mean I like Andy so I like defending him but not until I myself am called an idiot or a dipshit do I actually get upset. And luckily this has happened only a few times (and once by a self-proclaimed Andy fan, for whatever that's worth LOL)

jmp
01-26-2004, 11:30 PM
It's good to read that you don't feel unwelcomed. Enjoy! :D

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 12:13 AM
haha if I felt unwelcomed I wouldn't have stayed this long, trust me :) Thanks!

dayse_v
01-27-2004, 12:20 AM
My heart says Marat and i voted for him...
But my brain is pretty sure Roddick will win...
Damned!

JeLuliA88
01-27-2004, 12:24 AM
50/50, it all depends who perform better on the night...

Havok
01-27-2004, 12:27 AM
My heart says Marat and i voted for him...
But my brain is pretty sure Roddick will win...
Damned!
:haha: just further proving what we all know about polls and safin as an option:haha:

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 12:33 AM
:haha: just further proving what we all know about polls and safin as an option:haha:

LOL I KNEW you were going to say that.

Havok
01-27-2004, 12:34 AM
:hatoff:

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 12:35 AM
What would we do without you Naldo? :scared:

Prophetic
01-27-2004, 12:37 AM
I don't feel unwelcomed here, but sometimes I feel like my opinion is unwelcomed and/or unrespected. But it's not until the attacks get personal that I really get upset. I mean I like Andy so I like defending him but not until I myself am called an idiot or a dipshit do I actually get upset. And luckily this has happened only a few times (and once by a self-proclaimed Andy fan, for whatever that's worth LOL)

I hear ya Deb, but I DO feel totally unwelcome. I hardly ever post anywhere but in the Andy forum cuz I know for a fact that it's pointless and will lead to a fight and I choose my fights carefully. Luckily I don't really give a shit what people think of me so if they want to think I'm an idiot for being a fan of Andy then so be it.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 12:43 AM
awwwwwwww Proph! :hug:

andylover_16
01-27-2004, 12:47 AM
does it really matter? if there's a poll, and Safin is one of the choices, people just vote for him right away probably without even reading what the poll is all about. oh and btw, there's already a poll about this matchup:wavey:

hmm..well:shrug:..

anyways i voted 50/50..even though i think andy is overall the better player..its anyones game though:)

andylover_16
01-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Andy Roddick (1) v Marat Safin :)

No.1 seed Andy Roddick has progressed to the quarter-finals without dropping a set, and while that is no great shock, the ease of those victories has been somewhat surprising. His toughest test came in the opening round where Chilean Fernando Gonzalez pushed him to a tie-breaker in the third set. Since then he has only dropped his serve once, defeating Czech Bohdan Ulihrach, compatriot Taylor Dent and Dutchman Sjeng Schalken.

While Roddick represents the new face of tennis, Marat Safin has been the comeback story of this tournament. The former world No.1 and 2002 Australian Open finalist, missed much of 2003 with injury, slipping to number 86 in the world. There is little doubt he possesses an incredibly powerful game and twice so far in this tournament he has shown he has the character to match that talent. After four-set victories over Brian Vahaly and Jarkko Nieminen, he looked under pressure when he trailed veteran Todd Martin two sets to one in the third round. He responded by taking the fourth set to love before prevailing 7-5 in the fifth.

He produced another memorable performance against American James Blake, responding when challenged to prevail in four sets with some brilliant and sometimes innovative tennis. He set up a crucial break-point in the fourth set with a freakish backhand lob, the racquet flying out of his hand as Blake was left stranded at the net.

Safin also has the advantage of having won the only encounter between the two, a straight-sets victory over Roddick in the first-round in Los Angeles in July 2001.

tennischick
01-27-2004, 01:39 AM
if Marat was a tad more match-tough there would be no doubt that he would crush the Duck. but ya gotta admit that the Duck has been one lucky bastard for over a year now...

increíble!!!

andylover_16
01-27-2004, 01:39 AM

:lol:..i love you Naldo!!:smooch::yeah:

andylover_16
01-27-2004, 01:41 AM
if Marat was a tad more match-tough there would be no doubt that he would crush the Duck. but ya gotta admit that the Duck has been one lucky bastard for over a year now...

increíble!!!

it has nothing to do with luck....;)

ys
01-27-2004, 05:43 AM
You could look up the results for this poll in "Who has the biggest dick" poll results. They are the same.

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 05:56 AM
I hear ya Deb, but I DO feel totally unwelcome. I hardly ever post anywhere but in the Andy forum cuz I know for a fact that it's pointless and will lead to a fight and I choose my fights carefully. Luckily I don't really give a shit what people think of me so if they want to think I'm an idiot for being a fan of Andy then so be it.
I think that this " I'm a Roddick fan, woe is me" bit is being exaggerating just a tad. Granted, I'm not a fan so what would I know, right? :)

I don't see *that* many posters going at people *just* because they are Roddick fans. I see people going at certain fans when the band together and act like knobs. I haven't seen you get into the mix of that yet. Perhaps I missed something.

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 05:58 AM
I also don't see why it's so difficult to post on a board where your favourite has quite an anti-fan base. I post on another board where there are about three other Ferrero fans, and I don't give at twat. They can cut him up all they want. He's not my brother.

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 05:59 AM
I have no doubt that many people voted for Roddick for the exact same reason.

The horse is DEAD. Let it fucking go and quit ruining threads with this bullshit.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 06:06 AM
I also don't see why it's so difficult to post on a board where your favourite has quite an anti-fan base. I post on another board where there are about three other Ferrero fans, and I don't give at twat. They can cut him up all they want. He's not my brother.

I can only speak for myself, but for me it's not that people don't like Andy. That has nothing to do with it. It's the way in which many choose to voice it here - the way many hope he loses at all costs, the crude nicknames, the absolute dismissal of everything he works hard to accomplish. But as you said, it's been discussed to death. Those who bother me are not going to suddenly start respecting Andy or that I like him, and I'm not going to stop being bothered by it. Hence why I'm trying harder and harder to just stay away from such discussions - I know it won't stop, so if I can avoid it, I can't get defensive and make the situation even worse. If it doesn't get to you, then I guess you're just better than I am. And just because it doesn't bother you if someone disses Ferrero doesn't mean that their doing it isn't wrong or disrespectful to you and won't bother other people.

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 06:17 AM
I can only speak for myself, but for me it's not that people don't like Andy. That has nothing to do with it. It's the way in which many choose to voice it here - the way many hope he loses at all costs, the crude nicknames, the absolute dismissal of everything he works hard to accomplish. But as you said, it's been discussed to death. Those who bother me are not going to suddenly start respecting Andy or that I like him, and I'm not going to stop being bothered by it. Hence why I'm trying harder and harder to just stay away from such discussions - I know it won't stop, so if I can avoid it, I can't get defensive and make the situation even worse. If it doesn't get to you, then I guess you're just better than I am. And just because it doesn't bother you if someone disses Ferrero doesn't mean that their doing it isn't wrong or disrespectful to you and won't bother other people.
Unless you have a personal relationship with a player, I don't believe that anybody on this board owes "your player" any type of respect whatsoever. These people are figures... they aren't our friends, relatives, whatever. If people want to bitch about them... and you want to take this as disrespect towards yourself... then I'm confused as to why you felt the internet was a cool place to hang out in the first place.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 06:34 AM
I've been on all kinds of message boards in the past and a basic respect of the opinions of everyone on the board is generally required. I've used the internet and chatted with people for probably close to 10 years and I haven't ever experienced anything like this board. So perhaps that answers your last question there. If every place I went to on the internet to talk about my interests was like this, I don't think I would've stuck around LOL

So, that's what I am used to. I'm getting used to the atmosphere here, hence why I am trying to avoid situations that tend to bother me.

Not everyone is like you and as I said, if it doesn't bother you then more power to you. I'm the type who let's things that I'm removed from bother me more than things that have to do with myself. It's a good way for me to displace stress. Worrying about Andy winning a tennis match or listening to a friend talk about his/her problems is easier for me than worrying about things with my own life, it just works well for me. It's the way I work, and I can't help that. I like to distract myself with other concerns.

We're all different and different things get to all of us and that's what makes people special, but it'd still be nice to have an underlying respect for the fact that we all have different opinions on this board.

And I don't see it as having anything to do with any relationship to another player. If you look around this board, a great majority of people are emotionally attached to their favorites in some way, whether it's thinking they're cute, getting upset when they lose, throwing a party when they win, whatever. No one wants to see something that's important to them, on whatever level and for whatever reason, totally insulted. It's just human nature, well it's MY human nature, to not enjoy seeing something I like totally picked apart. It's not respecting Andy, it's respecting MY opinion to like him. And when I spend time being a fan of someone and supporting them, I care, and I want to defend that person and I take a rude attack on them as a rude attack on me on some level.

This discussion is sort of pointless. We're talking about emotional reactions and because we're different we're coming at it from two opposite perspectives and that's cool but it's going nowhere. You don't have to agree with what I'm saying but all I ask is for you to consider it and just realize that not everyone deals with everything the same way and just accept that this is how I (and many other people here I think) deal with stuff and that's just the way it is. If I/we are working hard to not let what people say about my/our favorite player (Whether it's Andy or anyone else), then it seems only fair if some of you guys also try to respect that it bothers some people more than others.

Seles3
01-27-2004, 07:14 AM
LOVE Safin, hate Roddick. Voted 50/50!

rogicomel
01-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Marat in 5 sets!

rogicomel
01-27-2004, 07:35 AM
Marat should win this match as a birthday present. Happy birthday Marat!!!!

Prophetic
01-27-2004, 07:58 AM
I think that this " I'm a Roddick fan, woe is me" bit is being exaggerating just a tad. Granted, I'm not a fan so what would I know, right? :)

I don't see *that* many posters going at people *just* because they are Roddick fans. I see people going at certain fans when the band together and act like knobs. I haven't seen you get into the mix of that yet. Perhaps I missed something.

I don't get into anything around here, lol...too much potential for hostility. You don't need a hundred people doing it to make it uncomfortable, all it takes is four or five. Lucky for me, I don't really care. It's a forum, pixels on a screen.

Well put Deb

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 08:06 AM
I don't get into anything around here, lol...too much potential for hostility. You don't need a hundred people doing it to make it uncomfortable, all it takes is four or five. Lucky for me, I don't really care. It's a forum, pixels on a screen.

Well put Deb
Forum; pixels on a screen. Well put.

Although that kind of contradicts your apparent agreement with bunk, who obviously does care.

But it's all good ;)

Prophetic
01-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Forum; pixels on a screen. Well put.

Although that kind of contradicts your apparent agreement with bunk, who obviously does care.

But it's all good ;)

It doesn't bother me the same way it does her...I'm just voicing my appreciation for a well spoken person

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 12:29 PM
It doesn't bother me the same way it does her...I'm just voicing my appreciation for a well spoken person
Gotcha.

I didn't sleep all night... forgive my lack of reading comprehension of 4 hours ago ;)

Prophetic
01-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Gotcha.

I didn't sleep all night... forgive my lack of reading comprehension of 4 hours ago ;)

no problem...
I'm a chronic insomiac so my reading comprehension went out the window years ago. My vocabulary is quickly following suit but at least I'm still one link up on the food chain from RealityRyan

safinagirly
01-27-2004, 01:04 PM
hey u guys he won he won im so happy but it's going to be tought between marat and andré