will Denthead be fined for lack of effort?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

will Denthead be fined for lack of effort??

tennischick
01-26-2004, 10:27 AM
i was watching Safin-Blake yesterday and the commentator brought up the business about how in the past Safin squandered his talent and didn't make adequate effort in some of his matches. and i remembered that Safin was actually once fined for lack of effort by the ATP.

shouldn't the same punishment be given to Denthead for his lack of effort against Duckboy? :confused:

Experimentee
01-26-2004, 01:13 PM
I didnt see the match (thankfully) but from what i hear and in the interviews it sounds like Dent really was making an effort, but just had a bad day.
I believe he would have made a better effort if he could, the crowd was really giving it to him and he was being humiliated on Centre Court. He said himself it was costing him a lot of pride to be out there.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Dent was definitely trying!!! He didn't know Andy was gonna have the returning day of his life thusfar, plus he was probably still tired from his tough 5-setter considering he's not in the best fitness condition anyway.

sam
01-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I heard that he was giving it his all, but just couldn't play to the level needed. Roddick just played too well.

Ma. Estefania
01-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I agree, Dent indeed was trying, but things just didn't work out.

Though I gotta admit that there were moments in which he showed some "lack of effort", but were just a few points.

sigmagirl91
01-26-2004, 02:28 PM
No. Now I would be concerned if he handed Andy a triple-bagel....

the cat
01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
No.

heya
01-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Dent couldn't handle Roddick's game.
Dent escaped with a bad performance in the
2nd round, but he wasn't going to give a close match later on.

Roddick was coming back from injury in Memphis, so don't pretend that he was playing well there vs. Dent. :haha:

Roddick did not give the best returning effort of his life.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Roddick did not give the best returning effort of his life.

Ok then when has Andy returned better than he returned in that match? I haven't seen it.

tangerine_dream
01-26-2004, 03:22 PM
shouldn't the same punishment be given to Denthead for his lack of effort against Duckboy? :confused:

No, because Dent was actually trying very hard to win but got outplayed by Andy.

A dejected Dent offered no excuses for his Melbourne meltdown.

"That was definitely, without question, the worst tennis experience of my entire life," he said.

"I wasn't tanking out there. I was busting my butt. I'll probably have to do some soul-searching. It was embarrassing. It was absolutely embarrassing."

CooCooCachoo
01-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Yes, please! That would be nice ;)

OK I just don't like Taylor, bite me :p

tennischick
01-26-2004, 04:35 PM
i asked bec i taped the match but didn't watch it since it featured the annoying Duck. but after i heard all the comments i decided to watch it and decide for myself. and you know what? i'm not taking anything away from Duckboy -- but Dent did not try. i agree that Chela had tired him out. but a good example of EFFORT was Canas vs Nalbandian. Canas was dog-tired after his TWO five-setters, especially the last one which was a five-hour match against Henboy. yet he gave Nalbandian his all and genuinely TRIED to win. that's what i mean by effort and Denthead did not demonstrate it.

or maybe he was induced into a semi-tank job. who knows? i like a good conspiracy as much as the next person...;)

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 04:46 PM
the thing for me is that I don't think Dent played very well against Chela either but he could get away with it. Against Andy, who was just playing on another level than Chela was, he couldn't get anything done and made it look like Dent was just flailing around

tennischick
01-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Dent made an EFFORT to beat Chela. that's my point.

and the ATP is inconsistent in handing out penalties. that by the way is one part of the Potato's beef with them.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 07:46 PM
well I thought he made an effort against Andy too.

He'd had a hip problem, his fitness isn't the best, so after the long match with Chela he was pooped. I just don't think he was out there not trying.

the cat
01-26-2004, 09:13 PM
TC, the ATP Tour does not want to fine players for tanking. That kind of publicity would be bad for a sport on the rise with so many tremendous players under the age of 25.

I don't think Dent was tanking. I just think he was so overwhlemed by Roddick that he looked shocked and confused. :confused:

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 09:18 PM
I agree, the cat. In fact I was shocked to learn that Roger had been fined for that once.

And I agree about Taylor too. It's not like Andy played THAT fabulously in his match against Gonzo. Who knew he would find his form so fast. Dent was just out of his element for several reasons and I felt (still do actually) really badly for the kid, but the cards were just stacked against him in the match, but I think he was giving it as good an effort as he was capable of that day.

Lisbeth
01-26-2004, 09:47 PM
I think the American media machine have shot themselves in the foot on this one. They have built Roddick up into such a god that the other Americans don't believe they can beat him anymore. Sure, Roddick played well but not THAT well and Dent played terribly. I don't believe Dent failed to try, I think he was just so mentally overwhelmed that he couldn't produce the goods.

A real shame, because even though Roddick was always probably going to win, it could have been a fun match (at least for people who enjoy watching guys bashing the innard out of ball!!)

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 09:53 PM
I don't believe that had anything to do with it. In fact, the US media were hyping it up because of the upset potential, predicting that Taylor had a great chance of winning the match.

In fact, a lot of articles even failed to mention that the last time they played, Andy actually won in straights. I didn't see a mental breakdown out there any worse than a physical one. He couldn't keep up physically just as he was mentally out of his league. Maybe there was the factor of "this is my buddy and he is #1 in the world and what am I going to do" came into play, but he had crowd support, being of Australian descent.

There's still the issue that Taylor played pretty poorly in the Chela match too, but Chela let him get away with it. Taylor probably shouldn't have won that match either and that had nothing to do with any American media hype machine.

faboozadoo15
01-26-2004, 09:56 PM
I agree, the cat. In fact I was shocked to learn that Roger had been fined for that once.

really??? i didn't know that! do u know who he was playing and what the score was?

Lisbeth
01-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Sure the media was hyping that match, but that few days of promoting Dent doesn't make up for Pat Mac and co jumping around salivating that Roddick will win 45 slams and is virtually unbeatable non stop since about August last year. I just think it's drilled into the other guys' skulls to the extent that "oh and Dent's good too of course" is going to fix the attitude.

I might be wrong, of course, it's just my feeling.

Incidentally I think fining people for tanking is arbitrary at best, unless they are seen collecting their winnings on a bet against themselves, LOL!

Lisbeth
01-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Also, I'm not so sure being of Aussie descent but choosing to play for the US HELPS Dent with crowd support. More likely to make people think he doesn't want their support. My feeling (just from TV of course) was that crowd support was more or less equal.

Lisbeth
01-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Definitely agree Dent did not play well against Chela, but he played much worse the next round. Maybe he was just exhausted.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Ummmmmm I want to say Dubai. I'm so the wrong person to talk about this since I don't know a thing about it.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Definitely agree Dent did not play well against Chela, but he played much worse the next round. Maybe he was just exhausted.

Well considering fitness has been his biggest problem for quite a while now, that's what I lean towards. If he lets hype-type stuff affect him so much that he would play THAT badly, then he's got even more problems to worry about than his fitness lol

jmp
01-26-2004, 10:23 PM
:wavey: Hi "eyelashes"! I like a good conspiracy every now and then, too. ;) But, I have to answer the thread question with a NO.

I really think Dent did the best he could on the day. It's frustrating to watch him because he really does have potential, in my opinion. But, he's been in the "cowboy" stage since he hit the scene. His game hasn't matured because of injuries, fitness, and a lack of consistent coaching. I was happy for him at USO '03 when they said he had a new coach. Then here, he's with his dad again. (?!?!!) I don't think he's looking at his career like a business/career. It's really too bad.

tennischick
01-27-2004, 12:29 AM
:wavey: Hi "eyelashes"! I like a good conspiracy every now and then, too. ;) But, I have to answer the thread question with a NO.

I really think Dent did the best he could on the day. It's frustrating to watch him because he really does have potential, in my opinion. But, he's been in the "cowboy" stage since he hit the scene. His game hasn't matured because of injuries, fitness, and a lack of consistent coaching. I was happy for him at USO '03 when they said he had a new coach. Then here, he's with his dad again. (?!?!!) I don't think he's looking at his career like a business/career. It's really too bad.
hey Dahlin':
where the frick have ya been (other than Houston)?? :confused:

i feel ya totally. and actually i agree that Denthead tried at several points in the match. it would be unfair to say that he NEVER tried at all. heck, three attempts out of 33 to return serve does mean that ya tried doesn't it????

but there were a larger number (IMO) of moments when he didn't fricking even try. do concede that. and the real point of this thread was that if Safin or any other non-Yank had done that shit, he woulda had to fork over some serious dosh. so why the frick is the Goon exempt??

and i know that you will pardon my French...;) :)

Tennis Fool
01-27-2004, 12:41 AM
An Intersection of Names
Roddick vs. Dent
Roddick v. Dent
RoddickDent
RodicDent
Rodient
Rodent!

http://www.nfrs.org/images/std_rus_blue.jpg

Tennis Fool
01-27-2004, 12:45 AM
i was watching Safin-Blake yesterday and the commentator brought up the business about how in the past Safin squandered his talent and didn't make adequate effort in some of his matches. and i remembered that Safin was actually once fined for lack of effort by the ATP.

Interesting that you make this thread, as a friend of mine said he thought Dent had given up in his match against Agassi at the USO last year.

His actions will be interesting to follow throughout his career in light of these comments...

Sjengster
01-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Federer's apparent tank was in Dubai in 2002 in the second round against none other than Rainer Schuettler before he became great, whom he had beaten a little over a month previously in straight sets at the AO - this time round he lost 3 and 1, and considering I knew little about Schuettler's game the result really made me sit up and take notice. Federer did say last year in relation to the match that he'd been on a tiring tournament schedule and ran out of energy, but bearing in mind that he played much more heavily last February and took the title it just shows that his conditioning was suspect a couple of years ago.

jmp
01-27-2004, 12:58 AM
tennischick, your French is pardoned. ;) I was seriously delirious about my Houston experience. I floated around on that for about two months. I haven't even watched my Houston OR Los Angeles tapes, yet. When I came back down to earth, it was time for the AO and now I'm hyped up all over again! :D

But, to your point, Dent could have slacked off and I just didn't catch it. I was feeling his pain. I'm trying to remember when I felt so bad for a player getting spanked. I usually don't feel that way because the spankee is doing what they can and the spanker is just rockin'. But, I felt like Dent couldn't get anything to work. I will agree with you, though, that the lack of effort rule and many others are arbitrarily applied. But, living with that humiliating defeat is punishment enough for poor Taylor.

Behave, Tennis Fool! :devil: