NALBANDIAN V FEDERER, OMG I'M DROOLING!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NALBANDIAN V FEDERER, OMG I'M DROOLING!!!

Frooty_Bazooty
01-26-2004, 11:11 AM
who the hell will win? Nalbandian is playing the best of his life but so is Roger. Normally in that situation you would give Federer the edge but as Nalbandian has such a great record against him it is too close to call.

Ada Monroe
01-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Federer. Some of the shots he played against Hewitt were unbelievable! And he's calm. This is a good sign. I think Federer will make the final against Safin.

azza
01-26-2004, 11:26 AM
nal

*Ljubica*
01-26-2004, 11:27 AM
David - hopefully - fingers crossed. I definately feel a migraine coming on though - there is NO WAY I am sitting here at work and missing that one if they make it the night match.

VAMOS DAVID :worship:

yanchr
01-26-2004, 11:31 AM
THAT ONE SHOULD BE THE FINAL!!!
Both are impressive now. Anyway I'll go for my man.
Roger, you can take out Hewitt, why not Nalbandian next?!

renatoal
01-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Federer in four sets !!!

Mane
01-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Roger will beat Nalbandian.

undomiele
01-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Roger has great shots but then so does Nalbandian. Nalby is currently 5 times the player Hewitt is. 'Sides Roger blew the first set and made a lot of UE's and his serve percentages weren't THAT good. I think Roger's hesitation will be a weakness Nalby can well exploit. I think Nalbandian is going to win and make it to the finals but thats just my SHAMELESS biased opinion. :p

It'll be a great match.

WyverN
01-26-2004, 11:45 AM
If Federer plays like he did against Hewitt in the last 2 sets he will beat Nalbandian.

Federer can not come out flat like he did against Hewitt today. Yes Nalbandian is a better player then Hewitt but the crowd wont be biased and Nalbandian is not the fighter that Hewitt is.

It will be close and I can't wait.

J. Corwin
01-26-2004, 11:59 AM
It shall be very exciting. I can't to see it. Hopefully it will be a day match on Rod Laver so ESPN can show it live.

Frooty_Bazooty
01-26-2004, 12:03 PM
A few things to remember

Hewitt may have problems getting a lot of winners but Nalbandian definitely doesnt and that was one of the main reasons why Hewitt lost. also, Nalbandian has one of the best returns of serve in the game. Im expecting him to get a lot of breaks off Federer

Lady
01-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Right now most of people think it will it done in 4 sets ;)
I want Roger to win, but my head made me vote for Nalby!

Hagar
01-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Roger, please trash Nalbandian coz he is a player I really hate!!!
Don't give it away as you did last year (with me watching LIVE in the Rod Laver Arena).

TennisLurker
01-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Well, I want David to win, but I think Roger will be the winner.

undomiele
01-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Well, I want David to win, but I think Roger will be the winner.

Traidor! ;) No me hagas sufrir con esa falta de confianza en un argentino de parte de otro!!!!

TennisLurker
01-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Que me sorprenda!

Dirk
01-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Roger hit tons of winners against David in all of the matches he lost to him but David in his laser like rallies forced many errors from Roger. Roger must use the cup plan to win. Mixing up pace and direction and put pressure on David's serve. Also Roger won't be serving and volley much till he gets a nice lead so that is another smart ploy. I think Roger will win this one. Funny I still watch those cup matches from time to time. Roger used his main all court attack game that he normally uses against everyone except David. He played like I never saw him play before using the plan. Clearly he put it together just for David. :lol: Took him long enough to come up with something else.

For the record, I like David. He has the coolest counter punching games on tour and forces errors from opponents like Andre on crack. I do love to watch him repel great pace. Should be a good one. I just hope for my sake Roger uses Cup plan against him.

Experimentee
01-26-2004, 12:51 PM
I think Roger will win but its a close call. He was playing amazing tennis against Hewitt, but I think it will be in 5 because Roger has been starting slow in the last couple of matches. Even the last time Roger and David met at the AO Nalby only won in 5, and Roger wasnt playing half as well as he is now. Of course David has also improved, so i think it'll be very tight.

Shy
01-26-2004, 12:55 PM
I want Roger to win. However, David is fine too, but they better go on and win the final.

undomiele
01-26-2004, 01:05 PM
While Fed may have adopted a new plan its not as if Naldandian is going to be shocked and awed about it now (and nor will he be injured) --Nalbandian has improved a lot even since the last TMC and all in all a confident Nalbandian is just a lot more focused and consistent than Federer --he's not Agassi but he's still better than Federer. As for TMC, I really think youre ignoring the possibility that Nalby was on a very Ferrero-like off day --even Fedex of all people admits Nalbandian wasn't himself in Houston. But I guess we can all concede it will be a close match. Its already giving me the jitters!

[Speaking of Ferrero, he really ekked out a pretty good draw in the end. Granted Arazi won't be a pushover but he's hardly a Philippoussis (on a good serving day + home crowd), Federer or Nalbandian. And JC leads the H-H to Arazi. He'll have a very good chance of making it to the SF's methinks.]

Dirk
01-26-2004, 01:26 PM
David needs Roger to make tons of errors to win. Um David did very well in the cup. Especially his JC match and his Andre match. He might not be shocked and awed by it but it will put him in the uncomfortable zone. If David wins when and if Roger uses his Cup plan I will not complain. David is a great player, but beating Roger will be very very tough for him. It should be a great match.

Havok
01-26-2004, 01:50 PM
if Nalbandian doesn't win, it's a damn shame. He's playing a fair bit better than Federer is. federer is hitting winners, but also an uncharacteristic amount of ue's, while David is hitting a lot of winners, and minimal errors. Nalvbandian in 4. federer is too good a player to go down in straights, i think.

undomiele
01-26-2004, 02:39 PM
David is a great player, but beating Roger will be very very tough for him. It should be a great match.

This where I think you're mistaken. David is no longer just a great player. He's become one of the best --definitely top 5 now and arguably has been since the beginning of the year now. You can take this as fan bravado but I want to remind you that this is the first tournament you see him fully fit, healthy and extremely confident and his results are reflecting that. True he has a lot to prove but I believe this tourny will be the place to prove it. I believe he's become one of the best returners of serve in the tour and has soundly beaten Agassi and Roddick on rebound ace already (and for all you guys who will tell me it was just a warmup lemme ask you when has Agassi ever NOT played a game to completely win?? Kooyong has always been close to Agassi's heart, especially now that he's about to retire and this is a guy who hasn't lost an AO match all century. And lets not forget Roddick here.) Beating Roger will not be "very very tough" as you say, it'll just be tough and very close. I think it really boils down to who will want it more. Roger has the "Im STILL no longer your bitch" complex to prove as well as his own personal ambitions but I think Nalbandian is just hungrier -- he's got the debacle of TMC to avenge PLUS the will to finally prove himself to the world which is something he's wanted for a very, very long time (remember Wimby 2002) whereas Roger honey already has Wimbledon. And I think that will make all the difference. So watch out!! A new ball is breaking out!

(Of course if he loses, I will lock myself in a car and cry myself to sleep while listening to opera, whiskey in hand! ;) )

asotgod
01-26-2004, 03:07 PM
It is pretty wrong to say that Nalby did not play well in the TMC. He was outplayed. He plays just like Hewitt and enjoins hitting past targets which is what Federer used to give him until then. If Nalby did not play well in TMC, definitely Federer did not because he did not serve well but just kept his unforced errors in check. Once the errors are in check, he will beat Nalby. Not taking the fact that Nalby is a top 4 player at the moment but he did not have to deal with Hewitt to qualify for his quarter final. So, if people are basing play on some shots shown on ESPN or whether he has not lost a set, then that does not make sense because Nalby and anyone in the draw would have lost a set to Hewitt as well. The blame for the loss of the set was a series of errors from Federer in his first service game at 40 -15 and some unlucky net cords.

Look, Nalby is a good player so is Federer. One thing that has changed is the fact that Federer believes he can stay on the baseline and battle the best. If you look at his answers to the e-mails on Atptennis.com, he said its just the mentality you approach a match with against the good baseliners and speaks like someone who believes he can do it. So, even though Nalby counter punches well, he is as prone to error as Federer is. Great match-ups determine what kinda errors a match produces. Anyway, Federer should win.

Ma. Estefania
01-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Undomiele: Well said. :)

I think David will win in 4. I trust in him in doing so, at least.

I watched his match ag. Cañas and he was playing great, of course, Cañas was tired; but at the 1st games of the 1st set they were playing almost at the same level, there were very good rallies, and David was clever and good enough to hit some very angled shots that made Cañas to fail.

I'm yet surprised with David's game at the tournament, believe me, he's playing very good, he seems to be very focused on this thing, he isn't getting that mad at some "bad" shots, he's just calm and relaxed; I think that if he passes Roger's task.....he has great chances.

heya
01-26-2004, 03:54 PM
:woohoo:

tangerine_dream
01-26-2004, 04:30 PM
I knew this second week would be a killer! Roddick vs. Safin. Fed vs. Nalby. Hooo boy! :banana:

Fed in 4. Go Rogi! :bounce:

Dirk
01-26-2004, 04:55 PM
David is also playing one of the best returners on tour as well. I wish people would keep that in mind. If David wins this match, I think JC is fucked unless he comes up with a well layered pace plan for David. Mixing it up is the only way to beat him. Besides his Canas match, David has extracted far more errors from his opponents than out winnering them. In fact in two of his matches he was even steven in the errors and winners department. Roger just doesn't need to over try for the winners or the stats and the match will look just like last year. If David wins this match he will win the even provided he plays Andy or Andre in the final. That Andy match was very tight in the warm up. Safin I would love to see win it and I think he hits enough power to wilt the Nal, but as of right now; Andre, Roger, and David are the faves to win the title. Safin in my mind is the only one who could stop Andre from making the final. Roger is the only one who could stop David from the final.

Doris Loeffel
01-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Again it's going to be a though match and hard to predict (that's why I'm not voting.).
But I believe that the win over Hewitt will boost Roger just like the his first win against AA did in Houston. But I agree he has to improve his first serve and cut down on the UE's

Allleeezzz Roger!!

Havok
01-26-2004, 06:35 PM
errrr David didn't 'soundly' beat Roddick on rebound ace. he kcked the crap out of Agassi, yes, but not Roddick. nevertheless, David is top 5 material, and if he doesn't get there (highly unlikely) it'll be a real shame.

sigmagirl91
01-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Why are you saying "highly unlikely" Naldo? Just what do you mean by that? I bet you said that about Coria last year, didn't you?

Chloe le Bopper
01-26-2004, 08:45 PM
David needs Roger to make tons of errors to win. Um David did very well in the cup. Especially his JC match and his Andre match. He might not be shocked and awed by it but it will put him in the uncomfortable zone. If David wins when and if Roger uses his Cup plan I will not complain. David is a great player, but beating Roger will be very very tough for him. It should be a great match.
David played like complete ass in the Cup match. He was shanking forehands left and right. Roger did what he had to do, but he didn't have to do very much.

If Roger sticks to his "cup plan" then he better hope to Hell that Nalbandian of that match shows up, and not the Nalbandian we have been seeing in Australia.

I hope Nalbandian wins for two reasons: because I like him, and because I'd like to see him shut a lot of people up.

Chloe le Bopper
01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
David is also playing one of the best returners on tour as well. I wish people would keep that in mind. If David wins this match, I think JC is fucked unless he comes up with a well layered pace plan for David. Mixing it up is the only way to beat him. Besides his Canas match, David has extracted far more errors from his opponents than out winnering them. In fact in two of his matches he was even steven in the errors and winners department. Roger just doesn't need to over try for the winners or the stats and the match will look just like last year. If David wins this match he will win the even provided he plays Andy or Andre in the final. That Andy match was very tight in the warm up. Safin I would love to see win it and I think he hits enough power to wilt the Nal, but as of right now; Andre, Roger, and David are the faves to win the title. Safin in my mind is the only one who could stop Andre from making the final. Roger is the only one who could stop David from the final.
I believe that you're underrating Ferrero here. But hey... who isn't? I'm surprised people remember that he's still in the tournament. It's fair, though. Not like Ferrero's every done anything in a slam before.

Sjengster
01-26-2004, 08:55 PM
David played like complete ass in the Cup match. He was shanking forehands left and right. Roger did what he had to do, but he didn't have to do very much.

If Roger sticks to his "cup plan" then he better hope to Hell that Nalbandian of that match shows up, and not the Nalbandian we have been seeing in Australia.

I hope Nalbandian wins for two reasons: because I like him, and because I'd like to see him shut a lot of people up.

Rather like yesterday's complacent predictions about the Hewitt win, this second reason is exactly why I fear a Nalbandian victory. ;)

Re: Ferrero, I haven't been able to see a match of his yet (that's down to me, not to the coverage I've got), but it's the doubts about his fitness that keep putting the question mark over his chances for me. Sometimes you think he's just exaggerating, then you think it could be a serious problem, then you see him win comfortably and think it's not again. And he is playing one of the most unpredictable floaters out there in Arazi, so I really don't know what's going to happen.

TennisLurker
01-26-2004, 09:00 PM
I think David is the underdog (probably Ive posted this like 5 times since yesterday), because of the Masters Cup match, because of how great Roger is playing, and because David has not been tested so far.

Dirk
01-26-2004, 09:03 PM
So becky your telling me that you would pick JC over David in the semis to win?

Roger didn't do much of his normal game in the CUP match. He spun the ball and sliced it back at David with no pace and david sometimes made errors or he errored when Roger then hit with lots of pace and spin and David wasn't ready for it. He kept David off guard. He made David attack him. David played great against both JC and Andre and was outsmarted by Roger. You people who loath us Roger fans for bringing up Roger's errors and saying that is why he always loses to David are now hypocrites. David mostly played bad because of one person...ROGER. David better hope Roger brings the serve of the first two sets of the Hewitt match when they meet. I never said for sure Roger would win but his best chance is to do the Cup plan because his normal game doesn't work. If Roger uses the same patience that he used on Hewitt he will likely be the winner. That is my opinion that is all.

Chloe le Bopper
01-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Rather like yesterday's complacent predictions about the Hewitt win, this second reason is exactly why I fear a Nalbandian victory. ;)

Re: Ferrero, I haven't been able to see a match of his yet (that's down to me, not to the coverage I've got), but it's the doubts about his fitness that keep putting the question mark over his chances for me. Sometimes you think he's just exaggerating, then you think it could be a serious problem, then you see him win comfortably and think it's not again. And he is playing one of the most unpredictable floaters out there in Arazi, so I really don't know what's going to happen.
Ferrero is a bit of a whiner. I have no doubt that he's carrying several minor injuries. I just doubt that they are anymore than that: minor! He seems to be treating them and is on top of things... and not retiring from matches ;) If he was that crippled, he wouldn't have entered the mens doubles draw in the middle of last week.

I remind you that Ferrero was "injured" the last two years at Roland Garros ;)

Havok
01-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Why are you saying "highly unlikely" Naldo? Just what do you mean by that? I bet you said that about Coria last year, didn't you?
you misinterpreted what i said. i used a negative word on another negative word therefore what i said about Nalbandian not getting to the top 5, which is highly unlikely= it's very likely he WILL get to the top 5:wavey:

Chloe le Bopper
01-26-2004, 09:07 PM

Roger didn't do much of his normal game in the CUP match. He spun the ball and sliced it back at David with no pace and david sometimes made errors or he errored when Roger then hit with lots of pace and spin and David wasn't ready for it. He kept David off guard. He made David attack him. David played great against both JC and Andre and was outsmarted by Roger. You people who loath us Roger fans for bringing up Roger's errors and saying that is why he always loses to David are now hypocrites. David mostly played bad because of one person...ROGER. David better hope Roger brings the serve of the first two sets of the Hewitt match when they meet. I never said for sure Roger would win but his best chance is to do the Cup plan because his normal game doesn't work. If Roger uses the same patience that he used on Hewitt he will likely be the winner. That is my opinion that is all.
Hewitt isn't half the player that Nalbandian is at the moment. So I think the "it worked on Hewitt" bit is pretty irrelevant.

And I'm sort of tired of hearing about Jesus Roger's AMAZING gameplan in Houston. I saw the match, and David was playing like crap. Roger did what he had to do, against a player who could barely keep the ball in play that day. We're obviously never going to agree here. I saw what I saw, and you saw Jesus. Whatever.

Let me make it clear that I'm not doubting who is going to be the most talented player on court tomorrow; I just don't think that is going to be a huge factor in who wins.

That isn't even remotely close to anything I said.

If Nalbandian and Ferrero make the semis, I'd pick Nalbandian to win. But I think Ferrero will have a chance against either Nalbandian or Federer, if he makes it through his match with Arazi. He's being totally overlooked. Given his record in the past 4 slams, I find that completely ridiculous.

jmp
01-26-2004, 09:09 PM
"NALBANDIAN V FEDERER, OMG I'M DROOLING!!!"

:drool: :drool: :drool: :woohoo: :bounce:

I can't vote in this poll. I really, really like watching these men play! I want to see some SERIOUS tennis from both.

Vamos David! :bounce:

Allez Rogi! :bounce:

This should be great stuff! :D :D

TheBoiledEgg
01-26-2004, 09:18 PM
i pick Nalby in 4
start is gonna be crucial to both.

I hope Roger proves me wrong but i'm not too confident.
expecting this to be the Wed Night match.

faboozadoo15
01-26-2004, 09:28 PM
federer in 3 or 4.
he's even said himself he's confident and still on a trail of revenge.
this is a good sign... not to mention his thrashing of hewitt, thenk you very much...

Dirk
01-26-2004, 09:53 PM
JC has more of a chance against Roger than David. HOW IS THAT BECKY?? Coming from rapid Roger fan. :p

Ma. Estefania
01-26-2004, 10:04 PM

Those are my 2 reasons too. :p Also because though I'm not Argentine, he makes us all latinamericans to be proud of him :bigclap:

Chloe le Bopper
01-26-2004, 10:10 PM
JC has more of a chance against Roger than David. HOW IS THAT BECKY?? Coming from rapid Roger fan. :p
He's actually beaten Federer before... not so with Nalbandian.

Ferrero can beat Federer. I haven't seen enough of their matches to break down to you why it is that Fed doesn't bother him as much as Nalbandian does. Although it might be too early to say that, since Ferrero and Nalbandian have only played twice.

I fully expect somebody (*ahem* not targetting any specific individual here!) to come at me with "Roger is Jesus and will not to lose to anybody except God, and certainly not Ferrero!" That's fine. Those of us with our heads in reality can debate this intelligently.

undomiele
01-26-2004, 10:58 PM
I plan on having at least 3 heart attacks when they play... :timebomb:

Ma. Estefania
01-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Same here, undomiele, je je....

WyverN
01-26-2004, 11:51 PM
if Nalbandian doesn't win, it's a damn shame. He's playing a fair bit better than Federer is. federer is hitting winners, but also an uncharacteristic amount of ue's, while David is hitting a lot of winners, and minimal errors.

Being in the US I bet you have not even watched David play this week. David has hit more UEs this week and far less winners then Federer while playing a lower calibre of opponenets but thanks for the factless analysis.

WyverN
01-26-2004, 11:55 PM
This where I think you're mistaken. David is no longer just a great player. He's become one of the best --definitely top 5 now and arguably has been since the beginning of the year now.

David has not proven anything this year, he proved a few things at last years USO though, exhibitions just dont count and he has virtually played nobodies in this tournament. He has not proven he has taken the next step to the next level unless he makes it to the final.

Billabong
01-27-2004, 12:09 AM
Nalbandian seems very consistent this week, but Federer seems improving and he's getting confidence, especially after his victory over Hewitt... I like Rogi's chances to win this!!! GO FED!!! :)!

WyverN
01-27-2004, 12:16 AM
I believe that you're underrating Ferrero here. But hey... who isn't? I'm surprised people remember that he's still in the tournament. It's fair, though. Not like Ferrero's every done anything in a slam before.

Ferrero has had a Hewitt Wimbledon 2002 draw so far and has not played to well. If he gets to the semi and wins that semi then full credit to him but until that his success must be attributed as much to his draw as to his play.

Havok
01-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Being in the US I bet you have not even watched David play this week. David has hit more UEs this week and far less winners then Federer while playing a lower calibre of opponenets but thanks for the factless analysis.
errr, i checked the stats, and for someone with as much talent as Federer has, have you seen the amount of unforced errors he's hit? he usually hits like 10-15 ue's, but he's right up there in the high 30's, low 40's and these are straight set wins mind you. and did you watch the Federer/Hewitt match? :haha: he was playing real bad for the whole 1st set, and a good part of the second, and he also hit horrible volleys, even worse than Roddick's volleys:eek: and David has been cruising through his victories, oh and im sorry but David's opponents are of a higher calibur than Roger's 3 crap players in the 1st 3 rounds. and Hewitt doesn't count as a real tough player, if you watched the match you'd agree with me. he's known to be very consistent and hit few errors, but he really chalked up quite a bit of ue's more than he normaly does.

JeLuliA88
01-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Nalbandian in 4

WyverN
01-27-2004, 01:01 AM
errr, i checked the stats, and for someone with as much talent as Federer has, have you seen the amount of unforced errors he's hit? he usually hits like 10-15 ue's

Can you prove that? Federer plays a high risk game and has just about always had a lot of UEs but also a lot more winners. The obvious exceptions being Wimbledon semi and final where he played unbelievable tennis. In yesterdays match he reached that level in the 3rd set and 4th set where he hit 5 and 11 unforced errors respectively while having a lot more winners. That is just about as good as it gets from Federer.

he was playing real bad for the whole 1st set, and a good part of the second, and he also hit horrible volleys

Agree the 1st set he was terrible

and David has been cruising through his victories, oh and im sorry but David's opponents are of a higher calibur than Roger's 3 crap players in the 1st 3 rounds.

David played 2 qualifiers like Roger and Ferreira. Who is better between Ferreira and Reid is debatable.

and Hewitt doesn't count as a real tough player

Counts a bit tougher then Canas after 2 5 set marathons

he's known to be very consistent and hit few errors, but he really chalked up quite a bit of ue's more than he normaly does.

Prove it. Hewitt hit less unforced errors in the 4th round then he did in any of the previous rounds (with the exception of the match where his opponent retired but even there Hewitt made only 7 less UEs in 2 sets).

Hewitt also had a far higher first serve percentage last night then in any of his previous 3 matches.

I will go further - Hewitt hit less UEs last night (on average per set) then he did in his wins over Federer and Ferrero in DC.

Yesterday was arguably the best hewitt has played in over a year.

Sjengster
01-27-2004, 01:04 AM
About that Masters Cup match, you have to say that both players played their part in the result - Nalbandian was certainly abnormally bad, and whatever you may say Dirk he started making elementary errors right from his opening service game before Federer had even started trying to impose his gameplan, but at the same time Federer had only 10 errors for the whole match and none in the second set. The big question is, if Nalbandian is playing well, will he struggle with a lack of pace and nothing balls like he did in that match? In the past I've seen him take a good cross-court slice from Federer and rip a backhand up the line for a clean winner - he certainly didn't struggle to generate pace then.

The amount of errors from Federer doesn't really concern me, it's when they happen that's important - it's inevitable that he'll make more errors than Nalbandian when they're both playing well because, whether he hits big or takes pace off, he is still usually the play-maker. It's certainly going to answer the question about whether Federer is in desperate need of a coach - if he comes through with surprising ease then no, not at the moment; if he again finds the Nalbandian game too much of a challenge for him then he needs one quickly.

faboozadoo15
01-27-2004, 02:45 AM
omg-- why do people even pay attention to unforced errors anymore? they're subjective!!! completely subjective. and everyone has a different opinion of what one is.

Leo
01-27-2004, 05:45 AM
Is Federer wins this match, I think he will cruise through the rest of the tournament. And then dominate the year. But I don't think that's going to happen just yet; David has arrived and is looking for the kill! :devil:

Side-note: Nalbandian hasn't lost before the quarterfinals of a official elimination tournament since Sopot last August. Wow!

Fedex
01-27-2004, 05:46 AM
Hmmm. I really like both players, but Club Fed is my absoulte favorite. Nalbandian will be very tough. He hits harder, a lot more winners, & is good at net. But if Federer plays shots like he did last night Federer will win in 4. Either that or Nalby in 5!!

Fedex
01-27-2004, 05:52 AM
Yes Federer wasnt solid at net or anywhere in the 1st set, but then he picked it up. I stil wouldent say his volleys were as bad as Roddicks. He hit some really good ones in the last few sets! I think when Federer got his 1st serve % in the 70's that also helped him. He'll need to get it in the 60's against David

WyverN
01-27-2004, 06:09 AM
Is Federer wins this match, I think he will cruise through the rest of the tournament. And then dominate the year. But I don't think that's going to happen just yet; David has arrived and is looking for the kill! :devil:

I dont see anyone beating Federer except perhaps Andy. Federer has that Houston/Wimbledon form about him and I can't see David beating him unless Federer plays for 3 sets the same way that he played against Hewitt in the first set.

Leo
01-27-2004, 06:12 AM
I dont see anyone beating Federer except perhaps Andy. Federer has that Houston/Wimbledon form about him and I can't see David beating him unless Federer plays for 3 sets the same way that he played against Hewitt in the first set.

Well if Federer plays like he did in Houston, Andy would be creamed as always.

Fedex
01-27-2004, 06:19 AM
Andy???? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :rolls: :rolls: :lol: :lol:

undomiele
01-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Im still not too persuaded of the fact that Federer has left his basket-case days completely behind him. As much as his fans would like to believe he's transformed into tennis' version of Neo "The One" from the Matrix ;) , results against real players thus far in the year are still inconclusive. Real players NOT being Hewitt, but Nalbandian, Ferrero, Agassi etc. :devil: If Nalbandian has to prove himself a top 5 player by winning a tourny, fine, but allow me to point out that Feds, in turn, has to prove to me and others that his game is no longer just amazingly hot or shockingly cold, but CONSISTENT and UNWAVERING enough to dominate seasons and beat real players consistently (and when theyre not tired and healthy too ;) )

One last comment:

5-1 BABY ! 5-1! Nalbandian will STILL own him no matter what happens tomorrow!! :cool:

WyverN
01-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Im still not too persuaded of the fact that Federer has left his basket-case days completely behind him.

Big doubt was whether Federer would bring his Houston form to Australia and so far he has. The tennis against Hewitt yesterday was amazing.

As much as his fans would like to believe he's transformed into tennis' version of Neo "The One" from the Matrix ;) , results against real players thus far in the year are still inconclusive. Real players NOT being Hewitt, but Nalbandian, Ferrero, Agassi etc. :devil:

As hard as it is to accept it he has not played real players yet as those were exhibitions!
I to was skeptical about Federer after watching him in Kooyong and criticised him on here but he has raised his form by about 60% since then showing he was not putting on the effort at Kooyong or maybe not yet comfortable on the surface.

If Nalbandian has to prove himself a top 5 player by winning a tourny, fine, but allow me to point out that Feds, in turn, has to prove to me and others that his game is no longer just amazingly hot or shockingly cold, but CONSISTENT and UNWAVERING enough to dominate seasons and beat real players consistently )

Yesterday was a good sign, came out shockingly cold but changed tactics half way through and ended up dominating Hewitt

5-1 BABY ! 5-1! Nalbandian will STILL own him no matter what happens tomorrow!! :cool:
[/QUOTE]

Wrong, if Federer wins tomorrow then he has had the last 2 victories over Nalbandian and the psychological edge David has over him will be all but gone. In fact it will be Federer with the momentum and it is David who will be nervous the next time they play.

If on the flip side Nalbandian wins tomorrow then he will prove he has a stranglehold over Federer by beating him in 3 out of the last 5 slams. Federer will begin to doubt himself against David and will wonder what he has to do to beat him.

Stakes are high :)

J. Corwin
01-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Very high. ;)

undomiele
01-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Stakes are high :)

You should smile more Wyvern. You can have a nice smile when you want to. ;) As for Federer and Nalbandian, Im sick and tired of thinking and obsessing about them. Whoever wins tomorrow Ill congratulate for a job well done! I decided Im going to enjoy the match and the high quality of tennis no matter what. :D

Joy to the World! Roddick has lost a set! ;)

sigmagirl91
01-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Joy to the world, they're in a fifth set. C'mon Safin....

*Ljubica*
01-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Joy to the wold - Marat won! Goodbye Andy :wavey:

Dirk
01-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Roger knows how to beat David. He did it at the Cup. The plan might not work but its the best chance to win. I think it will be a tight one. Oh and Hewitt is a real player!!!!!!!!! He had a great year leading up to Oz. He played great in the Oz match. He fought like hell, so stop acting like Roger beat some fucking junior. I really want Roger to win now that Marat took out Andy, but if David wins good for him. Safin will be the only one I can see who could possibly overpower him. I am so hungry for a Saffy Rogi final. I just hope Roger gives his best effort in the match.

yanchr
01-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Yeah, a Safin and Roger final is the one in paradise for me. So Roger, make it for us.

Crazy_Fool
01-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Nalbandian will win in 3 sets probably maybe 4. He is definately way more hot than Roger at the moment. I still think that masters cup game was a one off. Cant see it happening again.

faboozadoo15
01-27-2004, 06:42 PM
if roger beats nalbandian, there is no way david would still own him! :rolleyes: a 6-3 6-0 DRUBBING and then a win at a slam consecutively is a change...

and also, i'd rather be owned by someone and be holding the big trophy when all is said and done!

Crazy_Fool
01-27-2004, 06:43 PM
I'd rather be owned by NO-ONE.

faboozadoo15
01-27-2004, 06:44 PM
of course... :rolleyes:
but what would them OWNINGyou mean if you just beat them and won the tournament. it's just a number.

*Ljubica*
01-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Nalbandian will win in 3 sets probably maybe 4. He is definately way more hot than Roger at the moment. I still think that masters cup game was a one off. Cant see it happening again.

I do so hope you're right - and I wish I had your confidence. The Masters' Cup game was definately more to do with David losing it than Roger winning it, - but despite his wonderful run in this tournament I still have grave reservations about David's serve - he even lost a service game to Florian Mayer for goodness sake! One game like that against Roger could have VERY serious consequences. I'll be watching this match extremely nervously - and just hope that whoever wins it (hopefully David!), goes on to win the tournament.

sigmagirl91
01-27-2004, 06:56 PM
I sincerely hope that he does work on his serve. Then again, Roger really needs to work on his, as well. he has, after all, lost A SET-which would represent at least one break. and, he looked rather off against Reid as well in the beginning. He cannot have a beginning like that and win the match against David. I think he knows that, btw.

Crazy_Fool
01-27-2004, 06:57 PM
I do so hope you're right - and I wish I had your confidence. The Masters' Cup game was definately more to do with David losing it than Roger winning it, - but despite his wonderful run in this tournament I still have grave reservations about David's serve - he even lost a service game to Florian Mayer for goodness sake! One game like that against Roger could have VERY serious consequences. I'll be watching this match extremely nervously - and just hope that whoever wins it (hopefully David!), goes on to win the tournament.
Exactly, that masters game, nalbandian was playing badly, so many ue it was untrue. He still has FedEx and i still believe he has got the beating of him. You are right about the serve though, i think it has improved alot recently. I picked David to win this tournament at the start and i have no reason to chance my mind. I'll be supporting him thats for sure. Go Nlabandian!!!

WyverN
01-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Exactly, that masters game, nalbandian was playing badly, so many ue it was untrue.

Federer was playing badly at USO and AO but he cut his errors against Nalbandian out at masters cup (0 unforced errors in second set).

Anyway you have basically come out and said Federer has next to no chance, I disagree and I am tipping Federer. We will see who is correct.

sigmagirl91
01-28-2004, 01:08 AM
We shall see. If he starts out as badly against Nalbi as he did against Reid and Hewitt, he will have his work cut out for him.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Roger knows how to beat David. He did it at the Cup. The plan might not work but its the best chance to win. I think it will be a tight one. Oh and Hewitt is a real player!!!!!!!!! He had a great year leading up to Oz. He played great in the Oz match. He fought like hell, so stop acting like Roger beat some fucking junior. I really want Roger to win now that Marat took out Andy, but if David wins good for him. Safin will be the only one I can see who could possibly overpower him. I am so hungry for a Saffy Rogi final. I just hope Roger gives his best effort in the match.
Ugh.

The "plan" relies on David being complete CRAP that day. I don't know how many times the obvious has to be pointed out for you to understand it.

But whatever. Either guy has his chances to win this match, so best of luck to both of them.

sigmagirl91
01-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Ugh.

The "plan" relies on David being complete CRAP that day.

Some people seem to think that David will pull a Todd Reid out there, yacking his guts out on court, or sustain some kind of life-threatening injury.

WyverN
01-28-2004, 01:51 AM
Others are giving David far to much credit.
Who has actually seen David's matches this week?
I know they only showed the Canas match in Australia and Canas looked half dead

sigmagirl91
01-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Others are giving ROGER too much credit. He's already lost a set, and he started rather poorly against Reid last round.
So, I think we can call this even. Even Mal Washington deemed this match too close to call (and why do I rely on his opinion anyway?). Heck, the whole crew at ESPN is salivating over this matchup. They, too, consider this match too close to call. For all of our arguing, no one who has answered this thread can guess for sure who will win this match. We all agree that it will be a good one. So, let's call it a draw.

Billabong
01-28-2004, 02:08 AM
I hope Roger wins tonight, he definitely can do it! He'll have to play great during all the match, and we know he can do it!!!

GO FED!!!!! :):):)!!!

Leo
01-28-2004, 02:13 AM
Nalbandian's been the best player in the Australian Open thus far. To say that he will be crushed, as many delusional fans have stated, is simply ridiculous. I think this could be the match of the tournament. Right now it's hard for me to not give the edge to Nalbandian. I picked him to win before the tournament started, and I've seen no reason to doubt David.

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 03:22 AM
Nalbandian's been the best player in the Australian Open thus far. To say that he will be crushed, as many delusional fans have stated, is simply ridiculous. I think this could be the match of the tournament. Right now it's hard for me to not give the edge to Nalbandian. I picked him to win before the tournament started, and I've seen no reason to doubt David.

:confused: nalbandian hasn't been as good as federer so far in the tournament... sorry to burst that bubble... :lol:
but yea, he's too good to be crushed by anyone...
then again, if federer's firing on all cylinders... it could be "one sided", but i don't think any crushing will occur unless david plays worse than he has in the other rounds.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 03:54 AM
:confused: nalbandian hasn't been as good as federer so far in the tournament... sorry to burst that bubble... :lol:
but yea, he's too good to be crushed by anyone...
then again, if federer's firing on all cylinders... it could be "one sided", but i don't think any crushing will occur unless david plays worse than he has in the other rounds.
Hasn't he?

Beating Hewitt isn't quite what it once was. Some people would do well to remember that. Hewitt isn't the player that he was a couple years ago.

rassklovn
01-28-2004, 04:08 AM
Actually my brother has seen Nalbandian's matches and he hasn't ever looked like he was losing. His wrist is fine and he is playing very well.

Even if Nalbandian managed to win this tournament, journalists and many fans would find a way to denigrate the triumph.

It will be very close and the key for Federer to win is, is to come out firing straight away and is if he is to win he would have to win in 4 sets at the max, if it goes to the 5th I see Nalbandian being too tough for Roger.

Hopefully it's a high quality match and the match is won through good play and not someone making huge amounts of errors.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 04:38 AM
Actually my brother has seen Nalbandian's matches and he hasn't ever looked like he was losing. His wrist is fine and he is playing very well.

Even if Nalbandian managed to win this tournament, journalists and many fans would find a way to denigrate the triumph.

It will be very close and the key for Federer to win is, is to come out firing straight away and is if he is to win he would have to win in 4 sets at the max, if it goes to the 5th I see Nalbandian being too tough for Roger.

Hopefully it's a high quality match and the match is won through good play and not someone making huge amounts of errors.
Great post.

I agree with the whole thing - except for the bit about what your brother saw, because I haven't seen any David :(

faboozadoo15
01-28-2004, 04:40 AM
Hasn't he?

Beating Hewitt isn't quite what it once was. Some people would do well to remember that. Hewitt isn't the player that he was a couple years ago.

i disagree completely... the game has just changed completely. not hewitt. he's doing the smae things only better. the game passed him just as it did martina hingis. there are now players who are fit, powerful, and mentally strong.

WyverN
01-28-2004, 04:50 AM
Hasn't he?

Who has Nalbandian beaten?

WyverN
01-28-2004, 04:52 AM
In my opinion there is a tremendous amount of hype about David because of the exhibitions and him breezing through the opening rounds.
He has played nobodies so far and I wouldn't be surprised if Federer wins comfortably tonight.

Fascinating match all the same.

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:07 AM
i disagree completely... the game has just changed completely. not hewitt. he's doing the smae things only better. the game passed him just as it did martina hingis. there are now players who are fit, powerful, and mentally strong.

Hewitt's form in that Federer match the other day was nothing compared to his form from most of 2002. There's no doubt that he wasn't at his best and that he was not playing as well on the big points as he used to in his #1 days. Hewitt lost many break points with sloppy return or passing shot errors.

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:09 AM
In my opinion there is a tremendous amount of hype about David because of the exhibitions and him breezing through the opening rounds.
He has played nobodies so far and I wouldn't be surprised if Federer wins comfortably tonight.

Fascinating match all the same.

What, now you're saying that the Kooyong exhibition doesn't mean anything? I recall about a week and half ago you were saying how Federer would not do well in the Aussie Open just because he played poorly in Kooyong. :rolleyes:

WyverN
01-28-2004, 05:18 AM
What, now you're saying that the Kooyong exhibition doesn't mean anything? I recall about a week and half ago you were saying how Federer would not do well in the Aussie Open just because he played poorly in Kooyong. :rolleyes:

You can use exhibitions to look at the form players are in but the actual results are almost meaningless.

Federer was in horrible form but has picked it up magnificently.

WyverN
01-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Hewitt's form in that Federer match the other day was nothing compared to his form from most of 2002. There's no doubt that he wasn't at his best and that he was not playing as well on the big points as he used to in his #1 days. Hewitt lost many break points with sloppy return or passing shot errors.

Yep the 2002 Hewitt would have whipped Federer in straight sets. Something like 6-1, 6-1, 6-2?

How about you read Hewitts interview, he said he couldn't have done anything more on the break points because Federer kept getting the first serve in.

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:28 AM
He didn't get a first serve in on every one of those break points. And since when has Hewitt been defenseless against the first serve of anyone? He may be now, but he sure wasn't when he was winning is Slams.

Fedex
01-28-2004, 05:29 AM
Oh please Hewitt of 2002!!!! Potato was OUTCLASSED, By Roger, there was NOTHING he could do, even in 2002!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: He hasnt changed at all!! Still possesses very little talent, & Fed would of whipped him regardless, Leo!!! :fiery:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 05:33 AM
Who has Nalbandian beaten?
Did I indicate that he'd beaten anybody of note?

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Oh please Hewitt of 2002!!!! Potato was OUTCLASSED, By Roger, there was NOTHING he could do, even in 2002!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: He hasnt changed at all!! Still possesses very little talent, & Fed would of whipped him regardless, Leo!!! :fiery:
I don't doubt that Federer is a better player.

But Hewitt is not as fast and he's not returning as well as he used to. And those are two of his biggest... only... weapons.

Regardless, we get it. Federer is Jesus, and he will only lose to David if he beats himself. Okay. Let's move on. Hopefully it's a good match.

WyverN
01-28-2004, 05:37 AM
He didn't get a first serve in on every one of those break points. And since when has Hewitt been defenseless against the first serve of anyone? He may be now, but he sure wasn't when he was winning is Slams.

listen to fedex, hewitt is done making slam finals, its not that Hewitt's game has gone down (why would it?), its that the standard has risen.

Hewitt has had one good major victory in his career and that was against Sampras USO 2001 - even there Sampras was very flat and probably tired.

Hewitt is the Hingis of the ATP tour

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:41 AM
Oh, please. I hate when people say that. Hewitt and Hingis couldn't be any different.

We're going to end this discussion now, but I still find it plain stupid to say that Hewitt will never reach another Slam final. You can't read the future nor can you judge a player's entire career from one match.

Fedex
01-28-2004, 06:02 AM
Yeah, Hingis was a MUCH more talented and fun player to watch. WyverN, i agree completly, some people think Hewitt's game has gone down, no, its that the players have gotten much better. I wont go to say he wont reach the final or win another Major, but he dosnt have enough weapons to contend, with guys like Federer, Safin, Ferrero, etc.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 06:08 AM
Yeah, Hingis was a MUCH more talented and fun player to watch. WyverN, i agree completly, some people think Hewitt's game has gone down, no, its that the players have gotten much better. I wont go to say he wont reach the final or win another Major, but he dosnt have enough weapons to contend, with guys like Federer, Safin, Ferrero, etc.
Hewitt's game has gone down AND other players have gotten better.

Hewitt is simply NOT as fast as he used to be. HE's bulked up a bit, and lost some foot speed as a result. Furthermore, he's not returning as well. If he was, it would NOT have taken him two tiebreaks to beat Rafael Nadal!

Fedex
01-28-2004, 06:14 AM
Honestly it wouldent matter, if Hewitt was playing in 2002 form. The way Federer played he would of won REGARDLESS. Saying Potato is bulked up is :haha: :haha: :haha:

Fedex
01-28-2004, 06:18 AM
I'm sorry, yes his game has gone down because people are figuring out how to beat that "run every ball down" style. It wont work against guys like Federer who wave more complete games

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Honestly it wouldent matter, if Hewitt was playing in 2002 form. The way Federer played he would of won REGARDLESS. Saying Potato is bulked up is :haha: :haha: :haha:
You seem to have misunderstood. Imagine my surprise.

In response to your next post:

To say that his game has gone down because the others have gotten better is far to simplistic. It also doesn't hold up. Other guys getting better has slowed him down HOW exactly? I'll buy that his return game seemed poor against Federer because Federer is just a much better player. But that doesn't explain his inability to break the Nadal serve more, which IS somewhat of a liability.

WyverN
01-28-2004, 06:39 AM
Leo, I did not base my opinion after the Federer match

It is no coincidence that in his last 2 slams Hewitt has lost to Federer and Ferrero. These guys were not around 2 years ago (in their current form) and Hewitt had guys like Kafelnikov, a declining Sampras and Kuerten to contend with. The only real young gun he was up against in 2001/2002 was Safin and he was beginning to handle Hewitt in 2002.

For Hewitt to win a slam he will likely have to go through at least a couple players of the calibre of Nalbandian, Federer, Roddick, Safin, Agassi and Ferrero and I just can't see him having the firepower to pull through those type of matches consistently one after the other which is required in a slam.

undomiele
01-28-2004, 06:46 AM
Match is two hours away and Im already nervous!!!!! :explode: And having to agonize over scoreboard points is just too cruel. Damn you ESPN!!!!
God...this is almost as bad as an Argentina vs England world cup match!!! Except of course im the only fool suffering here....

WyverN
01-28-2004, 06:48 AM
God...this is almost as bad as Argentina vs England world cup matches!!! Except of course im the only fool suffering here....

you may be the only one suffering but there are plenty of other fools around :)

rassklovn
01-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Queen Rebecca
I agree with the whole thing - except for the bit about what your brother saw, because I haven't seen any David

You know my brother Queen he is writing reports on your website.

Leo
01-28-2004, 06:54 AM
Leo, I did not base my opinion after the Federer match

It is no coincidence that in his last 2 slams Hewitt has lost to Federer and Ferrero. These guys were not around 2 years ago (in their current form) and Hewitt had guys like Kafelnikov, a declining Sampras and Kuerten to contend with. The only real young gun he was up against in 2001/2002 was Safin and he was beginning to handle Hewitt in 2002.

For Hewitt to win a slam he will likely have to go through at least a couple players of the calibre of Nalbandian, Federer, Roddick, Safin, Agassi and Ferrero and I just can't see him having the firepower to pull through those type of matches consistently one after the other which is required in a slam.

Okay, I can accept that. And I agree that it will be difficult for him in the future now that the other young guns have really come into their own. And this loss was a real blow to his confidence, I feel, especially since he even had the home advantage and a one set lead.

On the other hand, I still believe that Hewitt should not be counted out, especially after his Davis Cup heroics last year. I think the Aussie will have chances to win Majors again, most likely in New York or London, where the surface, his experience, and the lack of national pressure all benefit Lleyton greatly.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 08:05 AM
You know my brother Queen he is writing reports on your website.
Really! I had no idea of the relationship. Good to know :)

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 03:52 AM
Yes, Queenie he is my younger brother.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 04:00 AM
Not another one! ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 04:02 AM
Not another one! ;)
Hee!

I injured my foot :( I think that it might rot off.

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 04:06 AM
Nice try to fire me up Wyver, you're losing your edge. I hope you get it back soon.