Hewitt v. Federer Live!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt v. Federer Live!!!

Nan Cu
01-26-2004, 08:04 AM
Who's watching?

Hewitt up 3-1, Fed serving

Hagar
01-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Unfortunately I am at work. What's the score now?

Chloe le Bopper
01-26-2004, 08:17 AM
So tired :yawn:

Ada Monroe
01-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Hewitt takes the 1st set 6-4.

Hopefully Federer comes back.

J. Corwin
01-26-2004, 08:24 AM
I'm listening to Eurosport and following scoreboard on AO site.

Nan Cu
01-26-2004, 08:25 AM
30-30 Fed serving in 2nd set.

great smash
01-26-2004, 08:26 AM
And Hewitt has a breakpoint again

Nan Cu
01-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Deuce

Nan Cu
01-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Fed held for 1-0 in 2nd

Ada Monroe
01-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Federer is whipping Hewitt! 4-6 6-3 6-0!! :eek:

Frooty_Bazooty
01-26-2004, 09:32 AM
1-1 in the 4th now, hewitt about to serve

Ada Monroe
01-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Federer 3-2 with a break now.

The game of tennis is moving away from Hewitt right under his nose. To others who are missing out this match, I suggest you watch it.

Lleyton's try to get everything back style of game doesn't work anymore. It's over.

Frooty_Bazooty
01-26-2004, 09:50 AM
so far in the 4th set, winners to unforced winners ratio is

Hewitt 2-2
Federer 14-7

for the entire match it is

16-26
44-37

thats why Hewitt is losing, he needs more winners

Ada Monroe
01-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Um.. Hewitt CAN'T hit more winners. That's the problem with his game! :o

Ada Monroe
01-26-2004, 09:53 AM
He only plays as well as his opponent let's him play. And that style of tennis is on the way out.

Leo
01-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Federer has to close out.

Leo
01-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Shocking :eek:

One nemesis down, but one still to go :D

Ada Monroe
Federer wins 4-6 6-3 6-0 6-4.

Lleyton will NEVER win a slam again, mark my words.

Frooty_Bazooty
federer wins 4-6 6-3 6-0 6-4!!!!

Leo
01-26-2004, 10:06 AM

Oh geez, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Frooty_Bazooty
01-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Federer and Nalbandian in the quarters, both of them playing amazing tennis

im drooling already :drool:

undomiele
01-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Congratulations Federer. :)
Though he played a substandard Hewitt Feds still played relatively well. He's going to have really improve his UE's though.

Its a sad day in Australia.

Frooty_Bazooty
01-26-2004, 10:09 AM

I dont think losing to probably the best player in the world right now in 4 sets is basis enough to say that he will never win a slam ever again. Hes only 23

Ada Monroe
01-26-2004, 10:14 AM
I dont think losing to probably the best player in the world right now in 4 sets is basis enough to say that he will never win a slam ever again. Hes only 23
NO! I agree. BUT the way Lleyton played was what made me decide it. He doesn't have any weapons to hurt the top players anymore.

Did you watch the match?

Hagar
01-26-2004, 10:18 AM

Well, he's won two. That's two more than most guys will have won at the end of their career.
But Hewitt's career is not exactly over yet.

Ada Monroe
01-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Well, he's won two. That's two more than most guys will have won at the end of their career.
But Hewitt's career is not exactly over yet.
Hagar, he won them when Federer was a headcase; Safin was a trainwreck; Agassi was in love; Ferrero was trying to master clay and Roddick was still a one-dimensional player.

All of them have matured or regained their confidence and with people like Nalbandian up and coming. It's virtually impossible for Hewitt. It's over.

great smash
01-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Hagar, he won them when Federer was a headcase; Safin was a trainwreck; Agassi was in love; Ferrero was trying to master clay and Roddick was still a one-dimensional player.

All of them have matured or regained their confidence and with people like Nalbandian up and coming. It's virtually impossible for Hewitt. It's over.

So that's why Hewitt couldn't win the davis cup last year...

WyverN
01-26-2004, 10:38 AM

Absolutely correct. I didnt need this Australian open to see it though. I have been saying so for months.

Surprising Leo? Only to you and the other Hewitt worshipers

WyverN
01-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Congratulations Federer. :)
Though he played a substandard Hewitt Feds still played relatively well. He's going to have really improve his UE's though.

Please tell me how Hewitt was substandard?

You do realise most of feds UEs were in the first set and a half?

WyverN
01-26-2004, 10:40 AM
So that's why Hewitt couldn't win the davis cup last year...

He couldn't come closer to losing against ferrero and Federer, Davis Cup is totally different, the crowd is far more patriotic, there is a coach next to you and you are mega pumped and prepared for those 1 or 2 matches

undomiele
01-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Exactly Wyvern. Federer dropped a set when Nalbandian has yet to. Im thinking whoever wins the first set next match will have an impressive advantage. Nalbandian ain't no Hewitt.

I didnt see the match but all the commentators were saying that that wasn't the real Lleyton Hewitt out there, that he wasn't playing his best and considering his form before he came into this match Im not surprised. Hewitt only had 17 winners or something like that. Nalbandian, however, is playing his best so Feds is having a completely different kind of match headed his way.

J. Corwin
01-26-2004, 10:55 AM
So, WyverN, you have a headstart on GWH, as Roddick has gotten further than Hewitt in this tourney.

Dirk
01-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Yeah well Roger wasn't playing his best in the 1st set. Roger is better than Hewitt and this TIME. Ninja said " no more charity for you KKK HEWITT"

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day13/0119ms.html

Stats don't lie. If Roger uses his cup plan on David, he has a good shot at winning it. I am so happy Roger is in the qrts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

WyverN
01-26-2004, 10:59 AM
I didnt see the match but all the commentators were saying that that wasn't the real Lleyton Hewitt out there

So you didn't see the match. First of all that was the best Lleyton has ever served. In the second set he got over 80% first serves in (Roger got 40%), in the third set he got over 70%. He was serving at the same speed as Federer by the way.

If that wasn't the real Lleyton Hewitt then I don't know what is. Hewitt did not give Federer a inch, particularly in the 4th set. Federer had to win it all the way.
For example in the 5th game when Federer broke serve, Hewitt did not make 1 error, Federer had to win every point by hitting winners including a few incredible ones while retrieving Hewitt smashes.

While Federer was serving for the match Hewitt did not make a single error either, in fact Roger had to hit first serves 5 or 6 times in a row to win the match.

This was the fighting, give nothing away Hewitt that is famous.

WyverN
01-26-2004, 11:03 AM
So, WyverN, you have a headstart on GWH, as Roddick has gotten further than Hewitt in this tourney.

Totally forgot about that, I am just thrilled Roger pulled that match out.

Still hope Safin wins tomorrow, a lead for Roddick in the Aus Open is good enough as he will only pull away further especially at Wimby and US open ;)

Lady
01-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Actually the whole 1st set Roger was the guy on defence! ;) So don't say Lleyton was not agressive enough ;)

And how about that FOOT FAULT that was not a foot fault that cost Lleyton the most important game in the match? ;)

WyverN
01-26-2004, 11:08 AM
And how about that FOOT FAULT that was not a foot fault that cost Lleyton the most important game in the match? ;)

That was lucky but luck is part of the game and evens out. Not like Hewitt didnt need luck to come back in DC.

undomiele
01-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey don't take it up with me dude. Take it up with the commentators. I know what I heard (I heard the match on radio) and I dont care what you say, stats don't lie. Feds dropped a set due to his UE's and Lleyton only had 17 winners. Im just saying that Feds had better shape up cos if he drops the first set to Nalbandian due to hesitation or whatever, David is going to be all over him. His baselining is rock-solid compared to what Hewitt's was during this match all right?

As for Hewitt playing well he only started to really fight back in the fourth set and to me that was just the case of too little too late. Fed overpowered him in the second and Hewitt just dumped the third. Obviously Federer was the better player but I just happen to believe that Hewitt wasn't playing at a peak (not to say that Hewitt would have beaten Federer at his peak --Im not saying that at all). So go ahead and enjoy Fed's win. Im was just anayzing this match in view of the upcoming one.

FanOfHewitt
01-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Congratulations to Roger Federer, just too damn good.

Not taking anything away from his victory but there was a huge momentum swing during the second set after Lleyton had served an ace and was called a foot fault, which on the replay was way to close to call. That would have made the scores 3 all. As it turned out Hewitt was rattled and Federer, being the good player that he is, took advantage of it, pounced, put Lleyton on the back foot with sublime shots and never looked back. Hewitt was brave, and almost broke Federer numerrous times, but Federer just played the big points well today and didn't give Hewitt a chance to rest the momentum back.

I can only ponder what could have happened if Hewitt had held that game in the second set, it could have been a totally different story, but thats the way tennis goes. A bit of poetic justice I'd say after he had some questionable calls go his way against Kucera and Nadal.

FUCKKKKKKKKK, i made a bet with a mate that I would shave my head if Hewitt lost this match. As I type this, I'm bald.

lizabeth..*
01-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Well today turned out to be a delightfull Australia Day

TennisLurker
01-26-2004, 11:39 AM
I will see the match taped in about 6 hours.
Ii think Fed is favourite against David.

undomiele
01-26-2004, 11:40 AM
FUCKKKKKKKKK, i made a bet with a mate that I would shave my head if Hewitt lost this match. As I type this, I'm bald.

:haha: :rolls:

As bald as Agassi?

FanOfHewitt
01-26-2004, 11:40 AM
That was lucky but luck is part of the game and evens out. Not like Hewitt didnt need luck to come back in DC.

Unless you are referring to something specific which I have forgotten, Hewitt came back in the Davis Cup of his own doing. Its a different story when you get lucky through someone else's mistake (the lines person) and not making your own luck. Foot faults are terribly disturbing, worse than lines calls during points by the way. But anyway, no sour grapes, Federer schooled Hewitt tonight. Good luck to him!

FanOfHewitt
01-26-2004, 11:44 AM
:haha: :rolls:

As bald as Agassi?

LOL, I couldn't get the clippers to shave me that close around the top to emulate Andre.

WyverN
01-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Not taking anything away from his victory but there was a huge momentum swing during the second set after Lleyton had served an ace and was called a foot fault, which on the replay was way to close to call. That would have made the scores 3 all. As it turned out Hewitt was rattled and Federer, being the good player that he is, took advantage of it, pounced, put Lleyton on the back foot with sublime shots and never looked back.

Not arguing with you but I find it interesting that Hewitt said in his interview he was only affected for that 1 game and the call wouldnt have changed the result of the match.

While Hewitt's sportsmanship is rather bad on court he shows good sportsmanship in interviews etc

WyverN
01-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Unless you are referring to something specific which I have forgotten, Hewitt came back in the Davis Cup of his own doing.

Don't know if you remmember but while Federer was serving for the match in DC Hewitt hit a return back (at 15-15 I think) that was very close to the baseline which Federer failed to return. Replays suggested it was out.

Shy
01-26-2004, 11:47 AM
He past the round of 16. Yeah Yeah Maybe my math teacher would let me come early so I could see the tape match.

FanOfHewitt
01-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Not arguing with you but I find it interesting that Hewitt said in his interview he was only affected for that 1 game and the call wouldnt have changed the result of the match.

While Hewitt's sportsmanship is rather bad on court he shows good sportsmanship in interviews etc

Yeah, if he was a better player he should have been able to regain his composure and reassert his (up-to-that-point) strong hold on the match. He shouldnt be using that call as an excuse. I'm sure he'll take advantage of whatever decisions go his way when he gets lucky in the future. You take the good with the bad.

FanOfHewitt
01-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Don't know if you remmember but while Federer was serving for the match in DC Hewitt hit a return back (at 15-15 I think) that was very close to the baseline which Federer failed to return. Replays suggested it was out.

I don't remember it, but there you go... There was also a line call tonight of Hewitt's that clipped the outside edge of the line but was called out. But I think Hewitt got lucky on a serve as well. But anyway, bad calls happen all the time, you have to deal with them.

Experimentee
01-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Amazing that people are believing that Hewitt, renowned worldwide for his mental toughness, lost a match because of a mere foot fault :lol:

Hewitt played better than any match he ever played last year, but was just beaten by a better opponent today.

tennisvideos
01-26-2004, 01:06 PM
I think Roger thoroughly deserved his win today, he played some great tennis. BUT, Lleyton could easily have been up 2 sets to love, and probably should have, except for two horrendous calls against him at critical times.

In the opening game of the 2nd set, at 15-30 on Roger's serve, Lleytons shot was called out when the replay showed it was on the line. So it should have been 15-40 with 2 break points. Instead it was 30 all. Lleyton won the next point which would have been game. So instead of it being 2-0 Hewitt it was 1-1.

Then, at 3-2 Lleyton aced Roger to give him the 3-3 game (which should have really been 4-2 at this stage). And shock horror, he was ruled as footfaulting! But you watch the replay and all the commentators were in shock that it was called a footfault. His foot was not touching the line or on the line. Of course this threw Lleyton although he says for only one game.

However, the fact that Roger beneffited on both major points was a bit turning point and obviously helped him gain in confidence. After the 2nd bad call, Lleyton should have been up a set and 4-2. Roger would not have been feeling so relaxed and Lleyton would have been tougher to crack for sure.

It's a shame bad calls can have an impact in a major match. The umpires should have access to replays in this day and age. They do in the cricket and football etc. Why not tennis? Pathetic.

And it's not sour apples, I like Roger. But I do think those 2 calls helped him a lot with getting him into the match. I hope that either Roger, Andy or Safin can win the tournament. They are my 3 faves still playing.

tennisvideos
01-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Experimentee - I think Lleyton played much better last year in the Davis Cup match. He made a lot of errors tonite, probably trying to press too hard. Roger was too strong in the end, but as in my last post, I do think the 2 bad calls may have changed the momentum of the match.... might not have affected the overall result, but Roger might have had to fight off a 2 set deficit to win if both calls were judged fairly. You can ask John McEnroe his thoughts if you want an expert opinion ... he was one who suggested an umpire's decision may have changed the outcome of the match... interesting.

Dirk
01-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Oh and Hewitt never won points off of bad calls? He might have been up two sets or not. Roger might have raised his game in the later stages to beat Hewitt or he might have come back from a 0-2 deficit. Its all a guessing game. I just wish Roger would have started better. He saved 6 break points in the match and Hewitt saved 8. Also Roger might have played that point following the overule differently if he was down two breaks points.

tennisvideos
01-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Dear Dirk... I did suggest that Roger would probably have won regardless. He started playing better and was certainly the stronger of the two in the last few sets. I am just saying that Lleyton should have been up 4-2 in the 2nd and not down 2-4 if both calls were fair. That's all. Just stating facts. I just think the match could have been closer that's all.

Experimentee
01-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Experimentee - I think Lleyton played much better last year in the Davis Cup match. He made a lot of errors tonite, probably trying to press too hard. Roger was too strong in the end, but as in my last post, I do think the 2 bad calls may have changed the momentum of the match.... might not have affected the overall result, but Roger might have had to fight off a 2 set deficit to win if both calls were judged fairly. You can ask John McEnroe his thoughts if you want an expert opinion ... he was one who suggested an umpire's decision may have changed the outcome of the match... interesting.

I dont think he played better in DC. If he played like he did today in DC he wouldnt have been 2 sets to love down and 5-3. He didnt play very well in DC, but was let back into the match when Roger choked and got stronger in the 4th and 5th sets, and Roger was demoralised and didnt play as well, which might have made it seem like Hewitt was playing better. But he definitely played his best today, i cant remember a time when he was serving that big consistently and holding so easily.

I cant think of why they would give Hewitt bad calls in Australia, if anything they would want to help him. It balanced out anyway as Kucera got about 5 shocking calls in his match against Lleyton.
As for John McEnroe, he will complain about umpires and line calls at every opportunity for as long as he lives. ;) No player should let umpires decisions affect the outcoe of the match, especially not one as mentally strong as Lleyton, which is why i believe it didnt affect him.

RogiFan88
01-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Monday January 26, 12:31 PM
Beaten Hewitt moans about Australian courts
By Ossian Shine

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australian tennis officials should agree on one, standard type of hardcourt for tournaments and make sure they are properly maintained, an exasperated Lleyton Hewitt says.

Hewitt was knocked out of the Australian Open fourth round by Roger Federer on Monday on the same Melbourne Park centre court on which he beat Federer in a Davis Cup tie last September.

Then, he bounced back from two sets down for a famous victory. On Monday he lost 4-6 6-3 6-0 6-4.

"Apparently it didn't get resurfaced," a frustrated Hewitt said. "To me it felt slower than it was in the September Davis Cup tie. Reason for that? I don't know...I really don't know.

"It felt like the balls were fluffing up a lot more out there the last couple of weeks.

"The disappointing thing is we can't get a (standard) surface.

"You know, I practised on Adelaide before I went to the Hopman Cup (in Perth). Then I played in the Hopman Cup, I played in Sydney, I played in Melbourne and none of them are the same.

"I think Sydney and Melbourne was the biggest difference of all-time. They are the two supreme tournaments in Australia, so..."

The Australian Open, and the warm-up events in Sydney and Perth, are all played on Rebound Ace, a type of hardcourt.

sorry can't remember where this came from...

jmp
01-26-2004, 07:39 PM
I just saw this match on tape delay and I have to type WOW! :eek: WOW! :eek: WOW! :eek:

I NEVER counted Lleyton out until the chair said game, set, match! He was intense! Then Roger got his groove on! This was the first extended look I've had at him since the tournament started. He was up and down. But, when he was up, watch out! He was showing heart, too! He wanted this! That was a great ride!!! Lleyton :worship: Roger :worship:

qliz2000
01-26-2004, 07:58 PM
I set the timer on my VCR wrong! I put it on ESPN2.
But I got home in time for the fourth set. I missed the last games in the fifth set because I thought it was recording - it wasn't.

It was a great match. Really intense points. Awesome hits from both.

faboozadoo15
01-26-2004, 08:32 PM
i love how roger can has so much game that he can prove us (sometimes) deranged fans right!
go rogi! onto nalbi, i think he's got this one in him.

Ma. Estefania
01-26-2004, 08:59 PM
I NEVER counted Lleyton out until the chair said game, set, match! He was intense! Then Roger got his groove on! Lleyton :worship: Roger :worship:

I agree, I was watching for the 1st time, because here we didn't have that one, and WOW! What a match! Though I don't like Hewitt, he definitely deserves this :worship: just as Roger.

What an amazing match, awesome environment too..... :cool:

trixy
01-26-2004, 10:10 PM
What a great match. There was just so much intensity out there, some of the points were just like :eek:
I love my nan sooo much!! I was supposed to leave Melbourne yesterday in the evening and my grandparents had tickets to go watch the match and my nan knew how much i wanted to watch it so she let me go!

Ugh im soo tired. Don't want to go to school tomorrow :mad: . I'm gonna miss all the good tennis.

Leo
01-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Absolutely correct. I didnt need this Australian open to see it though. I have been saying so for months.

Surprising Leo? Only to you and the other Hewitt worshipers

:lol: You think I worship Hewitt? :lol:

I admit that I was surprised. He could have won, I think, but didn't play as well as he usually does on the big point. Hewitt was also more inconsistent from the baseline than he usually is. Credit to Federer, absolutely. I was impressed that he was able to close it out because it started to get very tight again near the end of the match and it almost seemed like a DC repeat was in the making.

Now Nalbandian vs. Federer, which I think will be an even better match. David has more baseline power and a better serve right now so Fed's got to keep up his level of play and probably boost his first serve percentages.

4 fun quarterfinals. :D