Federer V. Hewitt: Coming Back to Haunt Him [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer V. Hewitt: Coming Back to Haunt Him

star
01-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Coming back to haunt him

January 26, 2004

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1074965436071_2004/01/25/26lleyton,1.jpg
Focused: Lleyton Hewitt concentrates during his match against Rafael Nadal on Saturday. Photo: Clive Brinskill/Getty Images

Roger Federer has had an easier lead-up to his match with Lleyton Hewitt tonight and looks in better form, but history can weigh heavily, Linda Pearce reports.

Roger Federer takes a 10-hour advantage into tonight's fourth-round Australian Open match against Lleyton Hewitt, but also a compelling reason to fear being mown down from behind. As much as Federer insists he has not been haunted by Hewitt's inspired September comeback in their Davis Cup semi-final, they are powerful images - difficult to forget or ignore.

Federer said recently he was not bothered by his fade-out as much as had been assumed, for he had completed a fine opening win over Mark Philippoussis and then played five sets of doubles the next day while Hewitt lounged about with his feet up. Nor, Federer insisted, had he cost Switzerland its first Davis Cup finals appearance, even though, realistically, the chances of Michel Kratochvil defeating Philippoussis in the fifth rubber had looked remote.

But what Federer cannot deny is that Hewitt has beaten him seven times out of nine - none on the grand slam stage, but the most recent, on Rod Laver Arena, from a deficit of two sets and 2-5. That was less than three months after Federer claimed his first Wimbledon title with an acclaimed display that contrasted with Hewitt's humiliating first round against Ivo Karlovic.

"I played well in Davis Cup, and also here now," Federer said after his third consecutive straight-sets rout, over Australian wildcard Todd Reid on Saturday. "I'm looking forward. It's a good match-up. We've got two totally different games. He's got a much better record against me, so that's his advantage. But, you know, hopefully I can use something else.

"We have always had very tight matches. You know, even though I've beaten him twice, one time I beat him [after] I saved match point. Could be also 9-1. On the other side, it could also be 5-4, 5-5, whatever. We've always had tight matches and physically tough, I always thought; Shanghai, Davis Cup, all the other matches. So I'm looking forward to it."

Hewitt's patriotic fires will be burning on Australia Day but Federer has the advantage of an easier lead-in and had disposed of Reid almost 10 hours before Hewitt walked away from Saturday night's testing 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 defeat of Spanish teenager Rafael Nadal. There is no question whose form has been more impressive, although the quality of Hewitt's opposition has probably been higher.

Nadal did not win a set but it was effectively a match between equals, and the rising star told the Spanish media afterwards that he believed he had been close to winning. Not a set, the whole match, he insisted, and blamed the Hewitt forehand for the fact that he did not.

Much earlier on Saturday, Federer's forehand had dismantled Reid, and the second seed's next Australian opponent knows what to expect as he attempts to reach his first Open quarter-final in eight attempts. "Doesn't get any easier, that's for sure," Hewitt said. "Hopefully I can get off to a bit better start than I did last time against him a few months ago."

Both were asked to explain the apparently lopsided 7-2 record. If Federer knew why, he said with a smile, it would be different. Hewitt graciously suggested his first few wins had come before Federer - who is just six months younger but started and matured slightly later - had reached his peak.

"Since we've probably both been at our best, we've probably only played a couple of times, I think," Hewitt said. "Nearly all the matches have been pretty close. The only match I think I lost to him was in Basel, in his home town, in the semi-finals of the Swiss indoors, and I lost 7-6 in the third. I think I had match point. I've really got to play some of my best tennis to keep up with him."

Fedex
01-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Come, now star, i dont think Federer is going to be thinking about that comeback too much. Its also a GS Match, and they have never played in a GS. Federer will be relieved though when he spanks Hewitt in straight sets ;)

star
01-25-2004, 05:55 PM
What are you talking about?

"Come, now star" ???? WTF?

Fedex
01-25-2004, 06:08 PM
I meant, as any intelligent person would know, I dont think Federer is thinking about that match too much, he just knows if he goes out there and executes he'll win this one easily!

star
01-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Did you think I made up the headline myself?

:confused:

Fumus
01-25-2004, 06:15 PM
I meant, as any intelligent person would know, I dont think Federer is thinking about that match too much, he just knows if he goes out there and executes he'll win this one easily!

Federer has problems with the baseliners like AA, Nalbandy and Hewitt... it won't be a walk in Melbourne Park for him ;)

Fedex
01-25-2004, 07:15 PM
It will if he plays like Wimbledon :) Although he cant take his talent for granted! He has too much talent to have problems with baseliners. Its all mental. Just like Safin, too much talent and ability to really have trouble with anyone! ;)

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 07:22 PM
<--- goes to find some bogus swiss newspaper headline that obviously favors federer...

honestly, that match has very little bearing, imo.

Shy
01-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Talent isn't everything.You need to have the brain to go with it.

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Talent isn't everything.You need to have the brain to go with it.
maybe so... but now federer is the smarter player in most ppl's opinion, anyway.

star
01-25-2004, 07:26 PM
The Swiss one is funnier.

Roger vs Hewitt
Abrechnung – oder wieder Daviscup-Hölle?

Shy
01-25-2004, 07:28 PM
maybe so... but now federer is the smarter player in most ppl's opinion, anyway.
I didn't mean that he is stupid, cuz he isn't.

star
01-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Davis-Cup-Revanche am Australian Open

Fedex
01-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Federer is the smarter player. He, like Safin, can choose the right shot at the right time, when to Serve & Volley, when to go for there shots. Vamos Roger :bounce:

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 07:31 PM
I didn't mean that he is stupid, cuz he isn't.
o i know... i doubt anyone would call federer stupid.
but if roger is as court smart and has more weapons than hewitt-- federer needs to play badly for lleyton to beat him. and roger hasn't played badly in this tournament yet

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Federer is the smarter player. He, like Safin, can choose the right shot at the right time, when to Serve & Volley, when to go for there shots. Vamos Roger :bounce:
i'll admit that i have NEVER thought of marat safin as a smart player :lol:

sigmagirl91
01-25-2004, 07:35 PM
You all act like Hewitt is going to roll over and play dead because Federer is on the other side of the net. C'mon people. If Federer wins, it won't be easy.

Fedex
01-25-2004, 07:40 PM
No, Hewitt will try, its just that Fed will outclass him. ;)

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 07:41 PM
You all act like Hewitt is going to roll over and play dead because Federer is on the other side of the net. C'mon people. If Federer wins, it won't be easy.
did anyone say it would be easy?
hewitt is a fighter, and it won't be easy for sure-- he has the best chance of any other 4th round opponent of a top player.

Shy
01-25-2004, 07:41 PM
. If Federer wins, it won't be easy.
This is why that Roger loves to play against Marat and Andy, cuz they are fair players.It's just whishful thinking.

Fedex
01-25-2004, 07:43 PM
What do you mean by FAIR?? Becuse both Marat and maybe?? Andy have more talent than Hewitt!!

sigmagirl91
01-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Andy and Marat give him a target, and Lleyton and David don't.

Shy
01-25-2004, 07:46 PM
What do you mean by FAIR?? Becuse both Marat and maybe?? Andy have more talent than Hewitt!!Ask Roger. He is the one that said that.

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Clearly Roger has more class than some of his fans :o

Fedex
01-25-2004, 08:08 PM
:rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 08:48 PM
:rolleyes:
i had no idea what that meant either... and i dont think asking a question when you aren't sure about something demonstrates a lack of class...

so i wouldn't worry about what this other poster said...

WyverN
01-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Yes Federer should win. After watching them play this week I really can't see what Hewitt can do to beat Federer, sort of like Hewitt was helpless against Kucera in the first set but I felt the same way about Hewitt before and he has pulled it out

J. Corwin
01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Hewitt will have to raise his level. He can't win on just fight alone...unless Roger helps him.

star
01-26-2004, 01:17 AM
I think Federer is also confident that he can beat Hewitt. :)

Billabong
01-26-2004, 01:54 AM
GO FED!!!!!!!! :):):)!!!

RogiFan88
01-26-2004, 02:33 AM
<--- goes to find some bogus swiss newspaper headline that obviously favors federer...

honestly, that match has very little bearing, imo.

Actually Swiss papers are not afraid to tell it like it is when their boy loses :p -- so yes, it w have to be a bogus one! ;)

Hingie
01-26-2004, 06:46 AM
I'm so nervous about this match! The problem with predicting it is that we just don't know which Roger is gonna show up. We know what we're going to get with Lleyton, a consistent grinder from the back of the court who is going to run down a lot of balls, but with Federer, he can show up one day and blow you off the court or he can just come out spraying and get down on himself. Without a coach and being down 2-7 head to head, Federer seems to be like the underdog. However, I'm gonna go with my heart on this one instead of my head and pick Federer and 5 sets. Man I'm a nervous wreck!

Mrs. B
01-26-2004, 08:28 AM
HOPP, ROGER!!!!!

Nan Cu
01-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Shouldn't this match have started already? Isn't it 7:30 pm in Melbourne?

jtipson
01-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Coming back to haunt him? I don't think so! :)

WyverN
01-26-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm so nervous about this match! The problem with predicting it is that we just don't know which Roger is gonna show up.

The wrong Roger showed up in the beginning but half way through the second set the correct Roger arrived. That is very encouraging as up until now you either get the bad roger or the amazing roger.

Roger showed fighting spirit, hanged in there and turned the match around. The 4 or 5 winners he made to break serve in the 4th set were simply amazing.