Hewitt been pushed hard by an 18 year old is... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt been pushed hard by an 18 year old is...

Ada Monroe
01-24-2004, 09:34 AM
... embarassing! :o

He's leading barely by 7-6 5-5.

Go Nadal!

J. Corwin
01-24-2004, 09:42 AM
not surprising though... ;)

Fedex
01-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Embarrasing?? The kid has talent that's what it is.

WyverN
01-24-2004, 09:50 AM
your post is embarassing ada

Nadal has the game to beat Hewitt but the lack of experience is letting him down big time.

he is getting himself into winning position in the tiebreak but blowing them by playing silly drop shots and going for several impossible forehands which is certainly the wrong option in the tb

CmonAussie
01-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Nadal is definitely the REAL DEAL!!!
Bloody unlucky to lose 1st two sets......
Hewitt's experience & nerve in the tie-breaks was the only difference*#*
Nadal will win a Grand Slam in 05 me reckons.

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 10:08 AM
He's 17, by the way. And he has wins over Novak, Schalken, Costa, Moya, and Younes. They should start a club and all be embarassed together.

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 10:14 AM
just cos Reid got flattened by Ninja, doesnt mean that Rafa will go the same way.

Potato has only ONE way of winning, slow death :o and that only works against players with nothing to offer.
Rafa has more talent in one finger than a 50000 acre Potato Farm.

propi
01-24-2004, 10:21 AM
He's 17, by the way. And he has wins over Novak, Schalken, Costa, Moya, and Younes. They should start a club and all be embarassed together.
I was about to say so... he'll be 18 in June the 3 :p

propi
01-24-2004, 10:23 AM
:lol: :lol: :haha: :haha: :worship: :worship: :bowdown: :bowdown:

FanOfHewitt
01-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Fuck me dead, Nadal is sensational!!!!!!

For those that have seen him play before, does he usually play at this level? He played like a top 6 or 7 player in the world tonight!

Hewitt was lucky to escape in straight sets.

Bubble
01-24-2004, 10:41 AM
this is the first time I saw Nadal play and boy did he win me over as a fan.

Comparing him to Hewitt, Hewitt really looked ordinary!
Hewitt won based on his wider experience And Hewitt seems to know that and kept rather quiet tonight... :lol:

Ada Monroe
01-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Well if he was a little more experienced, he would've won. Nadal that is.

Lisbeth
01-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Embarrassed like Agassi should have been when he was beaten by a 15 year old in Adelaide a few years back?!

What a ridiculous post! Were you even watching what was one of the best matches of the tournament?

Nadal is amazing and, sure, in a few years he'll be beating all of them at least some of the time. For now I think anyone with any tennis knowledge whatsoever who watched the game would say, they both played mostly incredibly well and it's a credit to Hewitt that he pulled it out. And Nadal will have won many more of the fans he deserves.

Lady
01-24-2004, 12:14 PM
I first saw Rafa in the US Open match against Younes!
I was impressed! :)
Today I turned into his real fan! :hearts:

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 12:25 PM
I also saw Rafa at the US Open, but he was in the seats watching, of course, Moya... :p

Anyway, if he can push a recent #1 at 17, don't be surprised what he does the next three Slams...

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Fuck me dead, Nadal is sensational!!!!!!

For those that have seen him play before, does he usually play at this level? He played like a top 6 or 7 player in the world tonight!

Hewitt was lucky to escape in straight sets.
I've only seen him play a few times, and yes, his level was always extremely high :)

Ma. Estefania
01-24-2004, 07:32 PM
I've only seen him play a few times, and yes, his level was always extremely high :)

Me too, I've followed mainly this year that's just starting, he seems to hit the ball maybe not that hard as others but definitely taking risks, that makes me remember to Gonzo....but it seems Nadal "thinks" a bit better....

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Me too, I've followed mainly this year that's just starting, he seems to hit the ball maybe not that hard as others but definitely taking risks, that makes me remember to Gonzo....but it seems Nadal "thinks" a bit better....
Nadal actually thinks, yes ;)

That's what impressed me when I saw him play Vicente at the USO. Vicente wasn't really of much use that day anyways, but Nadal could have just outhit him, but he made an effort to set up points and pick his spots.

Most importantly, he just never gives up. Hewitt was up a break in both the first and second (?) set, and still needed a tie break to win them.

I've heard the odd doubter say that he's "nothing special"... but when the explain why, they talk about him like he's 25 ;)

Crazy_Fool
01-24-2004, 08:44 PM
This Nadal - wow!! 17 yrs old and playing like that already - guy is amazing. I wont respond to the Hewitt haters but Lleyton had his work cut out there. How hard did he actually hit some of his shots! His serve is his only problem to sort out.

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 08:47 PM
His serve is actually, apparently, a little better than it was ;)

undomiele
01-25-2004, 12:10 AM
:mad: agh! I overslept this morning and missed the Nadal match on ESPN!!!!!!!!! Im soooooo mad since Ive never seen him play before. Are there video highlights of the match anywhere on the internet?@?@?

Im such an idiot :smash:

Chloe le Bopper
01-25-2004, 12:49 AM
:mad: agh! I overslept this morning and missed the Nadal match on ESPN!!!!!!!!! Im soooooo mad since Ive never seen him play before. Are there video highlights of the match anywhere on the internet?@?@?

Im such an idiot :smash:
They didnt' show it on ESPN anyways.

But you can see video highlights of his final in Auckland the other week against Hrbaty, at vamosrafael.com

Havok
01-25-2004, 01:03 AM
His serve is actually, apparently, a little better than it was ;)
i was just gonna ask about his serve. thanks for the clarification, its good that it's gotten better, but i'm sure it still needs improvement

azza
01-25-2004, 01:21 AM
Nadal is 17 :) and bery hot and talanted :p

J. Corwin
01-25-2004, 01:43 AM
ESPN lied. :p

Be happy that you got the extra sleep. Unless you wanted to watch the Venus/Lisa match again. ;)

sigmagirl91
01-25-2004, 02:38 AM
not a surprise to me!!!!

As talented as Nadal is, he could have easily won. But, like everyone said, Hewitt's experience pulls him through, again.

Experimentee
01-25-2004, 01:54 PM
I saw him play this week and I knew he was in amazing form, and he played like that against Hewitt too! I think he will win Roland Garros sometime soon. I just cannot get over Nadal's forehand, its one of the most amazing shots I've seen! However he needs to work on doing more with his backhand and getting a bit more pace on his serve, it looked ok when i saw him live, but Hewitt was serving faster and made Nadal's look pretty ordinary. And Hewitt doesnt have a big serve. However I still think Nadal's serve is decent, just not that good.
I was also very impressed with Nadal's fighting qualities, he was down a break twice but managed to break back straight away and didnt get disheartened. He may have been a bit hampered by his knee strain, maybe he would have won if he hadnt been injured. Definitely in a year's time he will be beating Hewitt.

RonE
07-22-2007, 06:02 AM
*BUMP*

Nadal will win a Grand Slam in 05 me reckons.

Good call.

Johnny Groove
07-22-2007, 06:06 AM
I love looking back at these old MTF threads about Nadal :sobbing:

General Suburbia
07-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Nice. Tards have nothing better to do than browse old threads of their idol and reminisce about the days when he was still a rising star.

Adler
07-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Good stuff

laure xxx
07-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Good call by the person who said he'd win a slam in 05 :yeah: :lol:

A_Skywalker
07-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Nice. Tards have nothing better to do than browse old threads of their idol and reminisce about the days when he was still a rising star.

Rone isnt a rafatard :confused: :shrug:

Halba
07-22-2007, 09:36 AM

he still is a star, and rising.

Marek.
07-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Rone isnt a rafatard :confused: :shrug:

:lol: I was about to say that. Besides, whats wrong with bumping these kind of threads? I like to see old opinions/predictions from MTF and see if they were right on or completely off.

adee-gee
07-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Interesting, seems Rafa was hitting the ball better back in 2004 than he does now :scratch:

People were saying his forehand was huge, now he only moonballs :sad: it's almost like Roddick :(

MariaV
07-22-2007, 10:23 AM
*BUMP*

Good call.

:lol: Bored with Fed not playing? And obsessed with Rafael? :awww:

explicit
07-22-2007, 11:28 AM
So many people saying Nadal's talented in the same thread? Never thought I'd see this on MTF.

stebs
07-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Interesting, seems Rafa was hitting the ball better back in 2004 than he does now :scratch:

People were saying his forehand was huge, now he only moonballs :sad: it's almost like Roddick :(

In all the Nadal threads from when he was a real youngster (both in acheivements and in age) everyone was calling him talented including Federer fans but when he started beating Roger he was a moonballing luckbox. Some Federer fans still accepted that he had talent though ;)

BlueSwan
07-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Hopefully this is meant to be sarcastic?

Nadal has been hitting harder this year than ever before. I know that people have been calling him a moonballer, but I find it hard to believe that those people actually believe him to be a moonballer. If they do, then they have no grasp of tennis. Nadal hits the ball incredibly hard, but he does so with absolutely massive spin, meaning that he still plays with a good margin for error, unlike people with flatter strokes. Take any flat hitter like Berdych - it may seem that they hit the ball really hard, but what they actually do is hit the ball flat, hence the ball travels faster through the air and bounces lower. But they don't actually hit with the same racket speed that Nadal does.

Forehander
07-22-2007, 02:35 PM
this isn't embarassing. Hewitt was world number one when he was 18.

Snowwy
07-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I love how you always get the one person that doesnt quite realize that its a 3 year old thread and anwsers it seriously.

gusman890
07-22-2007, 02:51 PM
in 2004?

Hewitt wasnt that high. due to his lack of play in the 2nd half of 2003.

Burrow
07-22-2007, 03:06 PM
this isn't embarassing. Hewitt was world number one when he was 18.

umm...no he wasn't, he was number one 20 and about 9 months. Slightly younger than Safin, the previous record holder.

Rafa = Fed Killa
07-22-2007, 04:00 PM
In all the Nadal threads from when he was a real youngster (both in acheivements and in age) everyone was calling him talented including Federer fans but when he started beating Roger he was a moonballing luckbox. Some Federer fans still accepted that he had talent though ;)

So true.

Only when you beat JesusFed are you an enemy of MTF.

sykotique
07-22-2007, 04:02 PM
So true.

Only when you beat JesusFed are you an enemy of MTF.

...which is why everyone will always love Djokovic.

Sorry. Just had to put that in.

amierin
07-22-2007, 04:06 PM

That's a wrap.

sykotique
07-22-2007, 04:11 PM
That's a wrap.

And I ain't talkin' about tacos! *ba dum bump ching*

Rafa = Fed Killa
07-22-2007, 04:12 PM

By next year Djoko will be public enemy number 2.

Merton
07-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Lucky call CmonAussie :) Typically, Nadal was dismissed as a has been after getting crashed by Andy later that year in the US Open.

adee-gee
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM

Nadal has been hitting harder this year than ever before. I know that people have been calling him a moonballer, but I find it hard to believe that those people actually believe him to be a moonballer. If they do, then they have no grasp of tennis. Nadal hits the ball incredibly hard, but he does so with absolutely massive spin, meaning that he still plays with a good margin for error, unlike people with flatter strokes. Take any flat hitter like Berdych - it may seem that they hit the ball really hard, but what they actually do is hit the ball flat, hence the ball travels faster through the air and bounces lower. But they don't actually hit with the same racket speed that Nadal does.

It was meant to be sarcastic, I couldn't agree more :hatoff:

GlennMirnyi
07-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Embarrasing?? The kid has talent that's what it is.

Yeah right.

They should.

just cos Reid got flattened by Ninja, doesnt mean that Rafa will go the same way.

Potato has only ONE way of winning, slow death :o and that only works against players with nothing to offer.

:retard:

That's called TECHNIQUE. You make the ball go faster with less effort. :silly:

CmonAussie
07-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Nadal will win a Grand Slam in 05 me reckons:cool: .

This isn`t my 1st picnic you know;)

GlennMirnyi
07-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Pure luck.

CmonAussie
07-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Pure luck.

Actually I`ve got a good track record when it comes to predicting future golf/tennis major winners;)

Of course I`ve been wrong about many of my Hewitt predictions over the years but that`s because I let emotions get in the way of thought clarity:sad:

Anyway with Nadal it was an easy call~~ but the career defining moment for him probably happened at DC final in December 04 [defeating Roddick in 4-sets]:cool: ..His self belief sky rocketed after that win under the most pressurised [pressionised?] circumstances:devil: .. From then I was certain my prediction would come true!!

GlennMirnyi
07-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Actually I`ve got a good track record when it comes to predicting future golf/tennis major winners;)

Of course I`ve been wrong about many of my Hewitt predictions over the years but that`s because I let emotions get in the way of thought clarity:sad:

Anyway with Nadal it was an easy call~~ but the career defining moment for him probably happened at DC final in December 04 [defeating Roddick in 4-sets]:cool: ..His self belief sky rocketed after that win under the most pressurised [pressionised?] circumstances:devil: .. After that I was certain my prediction would come true!!

It was pure luck, and he was supposed to beat Roddick anyway, he's one of the biggest clay clowns ever.

Anyway, props for you calling that, but it was pure luck. ;)

CmonAussie
07-22-2007, 10:11 PM
It was pure luck, and he was supposed to beat Roddick anyway, he's one of the biggest clay clowns ever.

Anyway, props for you calling that, but it was pure luck. ;)

Well Nadal @ 18yrs beating Roddick when he was #2 was no sure thing;)

Also Nadal wan`t even supposed to play, Ferrero was the man [FO champ from the previous year].. However the Spanish DC captain made a surprising substitute putting Nadal in~~~~ trust me many on MTF were surprised at the time;)

As I said that win over Roddick at DC 04 was the turning point for Nadal!!

GlennMirnyi
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Well Nadal @ 18yrs beating Roddick when he was #2 was no sure thing;)

Also Nadal wan`t even supposed to play, Ferrero was the man [FO champ from the previous year].. However the Spanish DC captain made a surprising substitute putting Nadal in~~~~ trust me many on MTF were surprised at the time;)

As I said that win over Roddick at DC 04 was the turning point for Nadal!!

Even Arthurs could defeat Roddick on clay, I don't see why it was so surprising.

Burrow
07-22-2007, 10:19 PM
roddick is a clay clown

CmonAussie
07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Even Arthurs could defeat Roddick on clay, I don't see why it was so surprising.

Again you`re not considering all the circumstances..

Roddick had big match experience & was #2
Nadal was 18yrs old ranked #54 & substituted instead of Ferrero [03 FO champ]..

RAFA`s 1st really big match showed what he was made of~~ & that confidence set the stage for an amazing run in 05..

No matter the surface Rafa taking out Roddick in 04 DC final was still a huge win for the Spaniard!!

GlennMirnyi
07-23-2007, 12:02 AM

RAFA`s 1st really big match showed what he was made of~~ & that confidence set the stage for an amazing run in 05..

No matter the surface Rafa taking out Roddick in 04 DC final was still a huge win for the Spaniard!!

Circumstances? Clay clown vs moonballer. The result was pretty clear even before the match.

gusman890
07-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Of course, They expected him to beat Roddick.

Wether he was going to choke under the big time pressure is another thing.

Forehander
07-23-2007, 03:12 AM
The moonballer Nadal just happens to be the best clay court player in tennis history by far that's all :)

nobama
07-23-2007, 04:26 AM
The moonballer Nadal just happens to be the best clay court player in tennis history by far that's all :)Well except for that pesky Borg who just happened to win 6 RG titles. ;)

CmonAussie
07-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Of course, They expected him to beat Roddick.

Wether he was going to choke under the big time pressure is another thing.

Again I remind you that nobody knew how dominant Nadal was going to become on clay;)

At the time [December 2004] Nadal had only ever won one minor MM title!!
Roddick had many more titles on clay than Nadal at the time;)

RAFA had never played a big match in his life & never been beyond Rd.3 at a Slam up to that point,~~ Roddick was the favourite [at the time]... Though of course in hindsight [a very useful thing many MTF posters have] we now know that RAFA is a clay juggernaut:devil:

Action Jackson
07-23-2007, 05:37 AM

Expected win and it was never in doubt and I said it before the match.

CmonAussie
07-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Expected win and it was never in doubt and I said it before the match.

It`s easy to say "expected win" after the fact:eek:

And I guess you expected Nadal to be subsituted instead of Ferrero,~~even though Rafa was ranked #54 & JCF had been #1 just 12-months earlier:confused: :confused:

Do you ever get it wrong George:confused:

#
Anyway Roddick pushed Nadal pretty good in a close 4-setter considering the location & how all of MTF knew it was "expected":rolleyes:

Action Jackson
07-23-2007, 05:55 AM
It`s easy to say "expected win" after the fact:eek:

And I guess you expected Nadal to be subsituted instead of Ferrero,~~even though Rafa was ranked #54 & JCF had been #1 just 12-months earlier:confused: :confused:

Do you ever get it wrong George:confused:

#
Anyway Roddick pushed Nadal pretty good in a close 4-setter considering the location & how all of MTF knew it was "expected":rolleyes:

Do you want me to bump the thread to prove my point or what? Or you think I am lying about this.

For your information and I remember this clearly. Deivid and I were campaigning that Nadal should have played in the DC final in Sevilla while others were suggesting it should have been Ferrero.

Next of all I remember young Nadal defeating Moya and Costa as a 16 year old at clay TMS events, he had shown good temperament there and I believe he could handle the occasion in this case I was proven right.

It wasn't that good, Nadal was not losing that match.

Merton
07-23-2007, 06:00 AM
Nadal was in crap form at the end of 2004, he lost to Mutis on clay in Palermo after the US Open and didn't play well indoors either. It was up to Arrese, obviously he did the right thing.

Fedex
07-23-2007, 06:00 AM
The moonballer Nadal just happens to be the best clay court player in tennis history by far that's all :)
What are you 3 years old?

Action Jackson
07-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Nadal was in crap form at the end of 2004, he lost to Mutis on clay in Palermo after the US Open and didn't play well indoors either. It was up to Arrese, obviously he did the right thing.

:worship: :worship: Arrese, he made the brave choices.

Merton
07-23-2007, 06:25 AM
:worship: :worship: Arrese, he made the brave choices.

Compare with Emilio, he went for the high seed Robredo against Volandri, even though he was creamed by Youzhny in the US Open. Not to mention that the pressure for a DC final was much higher.

spencercarlos
07-23-2007, 07:07 AM
I don´t know who is more loser, you or the ones thinking you actually predicted Nadal winning a slam in 2005 in your post from 2004, which was actually edited yesterday :lol:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=383608&postcount=5

:wavey:

Metis
07-23-2007, 07:36 AM
I don´t know who is more loser, you or the ones thinking you actually predicted Nadal winning a slam in 2005 in your post from 2004, which was actually edited yesterday :lol:

You should be more careful before calling people losers. When RonE bumped this thread he quoted CmonAussie's post and that was hours before the original post was edited by her.

Unless of course the 2 of them conspired to show her off as a good predictor of the future. :lol:

spencercarlos
07-23-2007, 07:46 AM
You should be more careful before calling people losers. When RonE bumped this thread he quoted CmonAussie's post and that was hours before the original post was edited by her.

Unless of course the 2 of them conspired to show her off as a good predictor of the future. :lol:
Yes i retract from my comment :lol: i guess i am wrong :p

CmonAussie
07-23-2007, 09:55 AM

spencercarlos~~ pretending to be part of the secret service:rolleyes:

...This is what happened:
I was trying to quote myself [as you do] & accidentally pressed edit [instead of quote]~~ though no editting took place;)
Word for word unchanged..

What I wrote was from January 2004 [midway through Hewitt & Nadal`s Rd.3 AO clash]..

Check your facts ma`am:p

CmonAussie
07-23-2007, 09:59 AM

Thanks for your accurate account of events;)

Anyway I`m a bloke:devil:
...Don`t make assumptions, especially if they`re wrong:eek:

Deivid23
07-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Compare with Emilio, he went for the high seed Robredo against Volandri, even though he was creamed by Youzhny in the US Open. Not to mention that the pressure for a DC final was much higher.

Comparing Jordi to Emilio is like comparing a good old wine to some kind of gatorade-like shit

David Kenzie
07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
CmonAussie, your post in the first page was edited yesterday.

Last edited by CmonAussie : Yesterday at 11:41 PM.

Shame ...

Sean.J.S.
07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
... embarassing! :o

He's leading barely by 7-6 5-5.

Go Nadal!

I think you are the one who should be embarassed now. :lol:

CmonAussie
07-23-2007, 11:33 AM
CmonAussie, your post in the first page was edited yesterday.

Last edited by CmonAussie : Yesterday at 11:41 PM.

Shame ...

Here we go again~~~ another fool who thinks he`s Michael Schofield:eek:

Notice how I quotted myself on the previous page;)
Like I said I pressed "Edit" instead of "Quote"~~ but no editting took place:p

CmonAussie
07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
*BUMP*

Good call.

Thanks RonE:cool:
Your bump is the only evidence I`ve still got to show that what is wrote 3.5 years ago is what I wrote;)

Thankfully your bump was at 6:05am, whereas my mistake of pressing the Edit button instead of the Quote occured at 11:41pm [17-hours later];)

If this thing goes to trial can you come as a witness:angel:
Maybe we could sue these pesky MTF secret service wannabes for defamation:devil:
Then lets share the booty [we`ll surely win the case]:cool:

lazyman
07-23-2007, 12:15 PM

I was trying to quote myself [as you do] & accidentally pressed edit [instead of quote]~~ though no editting took place;)

What I wrote was from January 2004 [midway through Hewitt & Nadal`s Rd.3 AO clash]..

:lol: i can vouch for ya cmon. i remember seeing the post yesterday and it wasnt any different. :lol: ur an idiot though for pressing the wrong button

spencercarlos
07-23-2007, 02:04 PM

I spoted your edition first and posted my message even before looking to what Rone had written to bump this thread, but then i checked and realized that he bumped it way before you "edited". So that is why i retracted my comments :p
Peace

CmonAussie
07-23-2007, 02:23 PM
I spoted your edition first and posted my message even before looking to what Rone had written to bump this thread, but then i checked and realized that he bumped it way before you "edited". So that is why i retracted my comments :p
Peace

OK no worries mate:cool:

CmonAussie
07-23-2007, 02:24 PM
:lol: i can vouch for ya cmon. i remember seeing the post yesterday and it wasnt any different. :lol: ur an idiot though for pressing the wrong button

Thanks lazyman:cool:

I know I`m an idiot~~~ but I`m not a liar;)

shotgun
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
The first post in this thread contradicts the theory of those who say the intellectual level at MTF was much better three years ago. :)

RonE
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
If this thing goes to trial can you come as a witness:angel:
Maybe we could sue these pesky MTF secret service wannabes for defamation:devil:
Then lets share the booty [we`ll surely win the case]:cool:

Count me in! :D

The first post in this thread contradicts the theory of those who say the intellectual level at MTF was much better three years ago. :)

True. It never ceases to amaze me how hindsight is always viewed through rose tinted glasses :lol:

stebs
07-23-2007, 05:53 PM
I think what changed in the opinion of Nadal directly relates to his success but despite what some Nadal fans think this is not unique to Nadal.

When he was fresh on the scene people strived to see his good side (talent, incredible shots, belief, love of the game, spirit). When he became a top player people began to take the good things as a given and then they look for bad things (on court attitude, possible gamesmanship). It happens to every player but when you look at old Nadal threads you can see it so clearly.

Castafiore
07-23-2007, 06:06 PM
When he was fresh on the scene people strived to see his good side (talent, incredible shots, belief, love of the game, spirit). When he became a top player people began to take the good things as a given and then they look for bad things (on court attitude, possible gamesmanship). It happens to every player but when you look at old Nadal threads you can see it so clearly.
Probably yes. But that's only looking at it from one side so it's not the entire explanation either.

A huge chunk of the hatred has to do with the so-called rivalry with Federer and certain "fans" of Federer looking for things to hate up to the point of blowing certain things out of proportion. Don't you think?

stebs
07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Probably yes. But that's only looking at it from one side so it's not the entire explanation either.

A huge chunk of the hatred has to do with the so-called rivalry with Federer and certain "fans" of Federer looking for things to hate up to the point of blowing certain things out of proportion. Don't you think?

Seriously? No I don't think that is a big part of it. Of course some fans of one side of a 'rivalry' will take issue with the other side but a huge chunk of the hatred? Not really and is nadal really very hated? I don't think so. On MTF he is one of the most hated people about but on the scheme of things that is not anything to worry about and Nadal is not a likeable character on the court for many casual viewers although for a lot of other fans the opposite is true.

Federer fans want to believe that Nadal fans all do what you speak about.

Nadal fans want to believe that Federer fans do the same thing.

For the most part it isn't true and I am not implying this is you but there are a lot of paranoid fans who think their fave player is victimised when for the most part he is actually idolised. For an extreme example of this see Mr "Nole is the most hated player in the world" Ezekiel.

You may disagree and that's fine. I think most of this fan to fan thing is BS and the fact it happens on MTF is far from an indication of the wider world.

Castafiore
07-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Well, yes...we disagree on this.

Personally, I find it easier to not dislike or hate players who happen to beat my favorite players but just try to appreciate them for their talents but I've seen enough BS in here but also in conversation with tennis fans outside the internet to know that it's easier to dislike or hate for some.

And this isn't just about Nadal. I don't think he's that hated either.

But a lot of the conversations on MTF seem to be dominated by dislike, hatred against certain players. Every top player attracts irrational haters and I'm sure that they're not the majority of the respective fanbases but they just speak the loudest and attract the most attention.

stebs
07-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, yes...we disagree on this.

Personally, I find it easier to not dislike or hate players who happen to beat my favorite players but just try to appreciate them for their talents but I've seen enough BS in here but also in conversation with tennis fans outside the internet to know that it's easier to dislike or hate.

And this isn't just about Nadal. Every top player attracts irrational haters.

Irrational haters are part of sport and part of life. Best not to take it to heart and have a laugh at them so long as things don't get out of hand (Graf fan stabs Seles).

I don't dislike many players and even those I can't like as on court characters I can appreciate for the tennis they play and if you are able to push aside whether or not Player X beat your fave in your analysis of him then that's a good thing and I hope that I have that trait myself.

Metis
07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your accurate account of events;)

Anyway I`m a bloke:devil:
...Don`t make assumptions, especially if they`re wrong:eek:

Oops!... for some reason I thought I had read in a post that you were a woman. It must have been someone else. Sorry about that! :)

Forehander
07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
What are you 3 years old?

You suffering from depression? :)

thrust
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
It is sad that some obnoxious fans can turn people against players. One has to stop and realize that it is usually not the player who is obnoxious but some of their fans. There is nothing wrong in rooting strongly for a particular player, but childish to trash your favorites main opponents for no reaso

CmonAussie
07-24-2007, 12:26 AM
I think what changed in the opinion of Nadal directly relates to his success but despite what some Nadal fans think this is not unique to Nadal.

Good points stebs:cool:

Also I believe that by the time RAFA had risen to the heights of superstar [FO win 05] then FED already had a huge fanbase [both genuine & fanboys]..
Many on MTF realised that the only player that could threaten FED`s domination [+ stop him winning FO] was RAFA;)
~~ So that`s when the backlash against Nadal began!!!

My 1st impression of Nadal [after watching him at AO 04] was that the guy hits the ball consistently harder than anyone else.
Of course the likes of Gonzo have a bigger forehand, but Nadal consistently whacked the cover of the ball whilst keeping it in play... the longer the rally got the harder he hit:devil:

I just thought anyone who can play that consistently [one of the lowest UEs %] & that hard-->> has to win a Slam sooner or later... The fact that the guy had a man`s body at age 17 made me think he`d get it sooner [as it proved to be];) .

Tennis Fool
07-24-2007, 01:00 AM
What ever happened to Ada Monroe :scratch:

GlennMirnyi
07-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Good points stebs:cool:

Also I believe that by the time RAFA had risen to the heights of superstar [FO win 05] then FED already had a huge fanbase [both genuine & fanboys]..
Many on MTF realised that the only player that could threaten FED`s domination [+ stop him winning FO] was RAFA;)
~~ So that`s when the backlash against Nadal began!!!

My 1st impression of Nadal [after watching him at AO 04] was that the guy hits the ball consistently harder than anyone else.
Of course the likes of Gonzo have a bigger forehand, but Nadal consistently whacked the cover of the ball whilst keeping it in play... the longer the rally got the harder he hit:devil:

I just thought anyone who can play that consistently [one of the lowest UEs %] & that hard-->> has to win a Slam sooner or later... The fact that the guy had a man`s body at age 17 made me think he`d get it sooner [as it proved to be];) .

He hits harder so the moonball can bounce deep. That's called lack of technique.