Henman chokes again..... whats the Brit press gonna come up with now [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Henman chokes again..... whats the Brit press gonna come up with now

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Canas comes back to win 6-7(5) 5-7 7-6(3) 7-5 9-7 :devil: :worship: :devil: :eek:

what a win from Guillermo and :woohoo: :D

now we can get some proper matches on Monday :banana:

azza
01-24-2004, 08:55 AM
U evil egg :lol:

jcman
01-24-2004, 08:56 AM
i dun think Tim chokes,
both of them really play well
so they both deserve to win..
unfortunately, tim lost....so poor

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 08:56 AM
omg they gonna show the match again :mad:

Brit ES he lost :confused:
we wanna see Rafa vs Potato :mad:

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 09:00 AM
BBC

Henman floored by Canas comeback

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 09:02 AM
SKY SPORTS

HENMAN LETS HIS CHANCE SLIP AWAY
Saturday 24th January 2004

Britain's Tim Henman surrendered a two-set lead and a 4-1 lead in the fifth as Argentina's Guillermo Canas battled back for a thrilling five-set victory in Melbourne.

J. Corwin
01-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Too bad for Timmy...he should have closed it out :(

I like Guille too though :D

gravity
01-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Too bad for Timmy...he should have closed it out :(

I like Guille too though :D

Headlines should reach:
Big phat loser Henman wins c0bra a fortune

I didn't expect it to be quite this close though. But I did say Canas beating Henman was the bet of the day for the punters among us. I'm pretty stoked. Thanks timid Timothy. :devil:

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 09:21 AM
last night on BBC radio they were talking of Tim as maybe winner of Aus Open :rolls:

saying IF he could get past r3 and somehow beat Nalbandian ...... and go on and beat Hewitt/Federer in QF and go all the way

he would be a worthy champ................. NOT

Face it boys ......... once a choker always a choker
he wins ONE round and they start talking about him winning the whole tourn :haha: :tape:

propi
01-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Congrats Guillermo, hope his injury problems are finally over :D

amethyst
01-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Wow, nice to see that Canas is back! I havenīt seen anything of the match, but I think itīs no shame for Henman to loose a close battle against such a big fighter as Canas is.

*Ljubica*
01-24-2004, 12:01 PM
It was certainly a superb match - Guillermo fought and fought and never gave up - and Tim - well, Tim choked - again. I did feel so sorry for him though - I'm not a Tim fan at all, but he looked so drawn and sad at the end - even the British commentators were saying "he hasn't got it in him to win a Grand Slam" - and I guess he probably knows that deep down too. Good to see Canas back after all his problems though.

sebgrosfan
01-24-2004, 12:14 PM
All I can say is there's no shame in never winning a grand slam. That doesn't mean he failed as a tennisplayer. A GS is a great achievement but by no means expected. Being a top 10 player is pretty darn cool as well. I don't expect Seb to win a GS either. As Rosie said, some just don't have it in them. Fair enough.

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 12:22 PM
we know its no shame but the Brit Press seems to think whenever he wins a match he's the best player in the world and whenever he loses he's a complete useless piece of ****.

Plus Tim keeps on saying he's gonna win one.
apart from getting FIXED draws at Wimbledon due to giving him a good seed, he's done nothing.

Lady
01-24-2004, 12:42 PM
The 5th set, that i watched, was just superb! :worship:

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 05:29 PM
some feedback from BBC site
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/australian_open_2004/3425801.stm

So "Tiger Tim" bottled yet again. Commentators will now undoubtedly spout the usual drivel about how it's a great shame because he's in form and had a genuine chance of winning the tournament etc., but in reality it's never going to happen.

Even if he had won on Saturday and managed to get past Nalbandian in the next round, the prospect of facing Hewitt or Federer in the quarters would be too much. Tim is afraid of Leyton because of all the times he's lost to him in the past, and probably doubts in his mind that he could ever beat him.

Canas played well, but the fact remains that he is not the kind of player any seed with serious hopes of winning a Grand Slam tournament should be losing to.

What was it saying on these pages yesterday - something about Timmy Henman looking forward to the second week. Well that was a short week for him. Charlie from N. Sydney was right. He is the man to beat and that's what happened.

I blame the media for making people like myself want Henman to get beat. Usually just to shut Sue Barker up and to listen to her making excuses for him. :tape:

Fair play to Tim though, he doesn't over promote himself like the media does, and on this match - well it was obviously a tough one in each set. I think you have to congratulate the opponent, not make excuses for Tim - I'm sure Tim would be the first to say he was beaten by a better player!
Bean, France

Yonge
01-24-2004, 05:48 PM
I blame the media for making people like myself want Henman to get beat. Usually just to shut Sue Barker up and to listen to her making excuses for him. :tape:

Poor Timmy! Some people actually hate him because of the media hype he gets. Now I know how the Roddick and Safin fans in this board feel.

Still, thumbs up to Tim. It was a hard-fought match, and I heard he hit 100 winners?! :eek:

All credits to Guillermo, though. Hope to see him again here in Toronto, where he won his first and (so far) only Masters.

Ma. Estefania
01-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Willy Caņas ----> :worship: You deserve it, man.