Omg Canas outlasts Henman winning 6-7 5-7 7-6 7-5 9-7 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Omg Canas outlasts Henman winning 6-7 5-7 7-6 7-5 9-7

azza
01-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Good match :eek:

Leo
01-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Sounds like a real thriller. I expected Canas to win, but I didn't think he'd pull it off from 2 sets down! :eek: Well done, Guillermo. Sounds like you're really getting your game back on track. Now, unfortunately, you'll have to be mowed down by the master, David. :D

*Ljubica*
01-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a real thriller. I expected Canas to win, but I didn't think he'd pull it off from 2 sets down! :eek: Well done, Guillermo. Sounds like you're really getting your game back on track. Now, unfortunately, you'll have to be mowed down by the master, David. :D

It was a real thriller - we got to see it all in England obviously, and I really enjoyed it, even though I was fuming at first because they were showing it instead of David!! Canas played incredibly well - hopefully he will be too tired to do the same thing against David (especially after his 5-setter against Calleri), but he is definately a very hard man to beat - he just runs and runs, and NEVER gives up!

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2004, 05:37 PM
I saw the end of the second set, before I had to go to work, and I was shocked to see Henman make so many unforced errors (really easy balls!). I expected Henman to win this match, in 4 sets, but it is good to see Guillermo win this. It's sad that one of them had to leave the tournament..

tangerine_dream
01-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Sounds like another brilliant match us Americans won't be seeing anytime soon on ESPN. :ras: :fiery:

Canas :yeah:
Timbo :bigcry:

Warrior
01-24-2004, 06:33 PM
I expected it to go to five sets. Definately it aws a great match; Henman hit 100 winners! It's a shame that morons at ESPN will not show this match.

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:07 PM
It is a shame, but at least they showed 7 points or sao in the highlights. Just really incredible tennis from both guys for 4 hours and 51 minutes! My god, that's only 8 minutes shorter than the 21-19 quarterfinal last year. :eek:

Bravo to both men for producing the match of the tournament. :clap2:

TennisLurker
01-24-2004, 08:04 PM
It was the match of the tournament, I stayed awake till 6 am watching it.

Ma. Estefania
01-24-2004, 08:19 PM
TennisL: I couldn't stay awake for more than the 1st 2 sets, it was very late here, and I thought Cañas was just gonna lose it....but wow....I'm so glad of this.

Cañas :worship:

TennisLurker
01-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Have you seen the match today on espn+ , they showed the match again.

Ma. Estefania
01-24-2004, 08:43 PM
No, Espn+ is only for Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay I think....then I couldn't watch it; but I'm sure tonight they'll show some highlights of it.

croat123
01-24-2004, 09:54 PM
espn didn't show it :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
01-25-2004, 12:49 PM
I have almost posted this on another board, however due to tech difficulties I will post my report on this match here.

Cañas and Henman were slugging it out on the old court 1. I was at the
scoreboard and I saw Henman had won the first 2 sets
and they were very close. I tried to get into the
match, but it was an effort with all those English
backpackers who normally don't give a shit about
tennis, just there to cheer on Tiger Tim. One he is
not one of my faves and two I have always admired
Canas, so it was imperative to get there and give
Canas some support. We got there through the third
set, and we could only see the scoreboard for about 7
games as people were not moving.

Then Niclas a Swedish friend of mine and I stood one
of the garbage bins, and then we could see over the
top of people and catch a glimpse of the match.
Unfortunately the security guys, didn't appreciate our
innovative solutions and told us to get down twice.
Then Canas won the 3rd set and we got in the match.
Niclas and I were in hostile territory amongst most of
the English fans, but to be fair they helped give the
match some great atmosphere and most of the
non-English were going for Canas, so there was plenty
of chanting and noise which made them both perform at
excellent levels. Henman kept playing his chip and
charge game, and Canas the warrior was just running
and running and his lobs were of the highest quality
which kept him in the match.

The fourth set was more of the same and Henman had
many chances on the Canas serve, but he was either
passed, lobbed or just made an unforced error. I said
Niclas to if Canas wins this set, there is no way he
is losing. He loves the battle and this was made for
him, and also Tiger Tim isn't known for his mental
fortitude in the tighest situations. Then Canas takes
his chance and wins the fourth set 7-5.

We are into the 5th and the English fans are a bit
nervous, so was I to an extent, even though I had full
confidence in Canas being successful in this match.
Then the 5th Timmy is playing very good aggressive
tennis and he breaks Canas at 3-1 and then holds to
take it to a 4-1 lead. Still I just knew Canas had it
in him to comeback, he plays a great game and breaks
Henman at 4-3 and then holds for 4-4. The crowd were
even getting louder for Henman, but there were a few
of us Canas fans who made our presence felt.

Neither player was giving anything less than 100% and
I felt that Henman's would crack. He lead 7-6 and 0-30
but Canas hits a second serve ace held and voila 7-7. His arm had turned to jelly and Canas was circling Henman like a lion does
his prey and got the break at 8-7. I had made a
choking gesture that some of the fans liked but others
didn't appreciate as much.

Now most of the crowd were trying to will Timmy over, Canas
played a very solid game, though there were a few
second serves at 130km/h, but he managed to get to
40-15. Henman then saved match points and Canas got to
advantage. The match point was an absolute fitting way
to win the match after a short rally, Henman
approaches the net and the Canas running like his life
depending on it and smacks this huge forehand up the
line which was a great way to end this very
entertaining and gripping match. The crowd gave both
of them a standing ovation that seemed to last for
ages and it was deserved.

Henman hit 100 winners and Canas had made only 30
unforced errors and he played the very important
points much better.

Experimentee
01-25-2004, 02:23 PM
It was an exciting match. They only showed the 5th set on tv, but were updating the score, and even when Henman was 2 sets to 0 up i knew Canas would eventually grind him down. It was no surprise to me that Canas got it to 2-2, but when he went down 4-1 in the 5th i didnt think he had another comeback left in him, bc he was looking tired and Tim was playing great. However Canas broke back with two screaming DTL passing shots, and another one of those to take the match! I think Henman should have won bc he played the better tennis for most of the match, but Canas thoroughly deserved it for fighting so hard and never giving up. However I fear he wont have much left in the tank for Nalbandian tomorrow :(

undomiele
01-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Thank you George for that interesting story. :)

Ma. Estefania
01-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah George, thanx for that report. :)

Those "battles" between english fans and the non-ones sounds exciting! I watched only the 1st set, and the English ones were cheering loud.....

Sjengster
01-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Hmm... plus ca change, c'est plus ca meme chose... Canas is quite incredible though. The guy has hardly played any tennis for a year and was completely written off by the commentators in the second set were he to go two sets down, but he still pulled it off. Hope he can give Nalbandian a decent match, but even his fitness must surely be tested now.

star
01-26-2004, 12:04 AM
I hope he wins!! But if he doesn't win, I hope he wears Nalby to a Nubbin. :)

TennisLurker
01-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Isnt Cañas the master of beating Henman in the most painfully ways?

Sjengster
01-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Isnt Cañas the master of beating Henman in the most painfully ways?

Yes. ;) Where Hewitt just thrashes him every time, Canas has to get into a marathon encounter and give Henman a chance at winning before scraping back into it every time. That's two five-set wins in Slams, plus a three-set win from matchpoint down in Vienna - he is Henman's eternal nightmare. Nice hairstyle, though.

TennisLurker
01-26-2004, 12:06 AM
I dont even like Cañas, but I truly find him amazing, he reminds me of Muster.

Sjengster
01-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Heck, I don't think I've ever seen a more gruelling and intense battle than the Hewitt-Canas match from RG a couple of years ago. They were getting into 20-shot rallies routinely, and Canas eventually proved the stronger and managed to break down Hewitt's resolve - even on clay, that's a tough thing to do.

Experimentee
01-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Yes and dont forget Canas had played a 5 setter against Calleri coming back from 2 sets to love down before playing Henman. And all this coming off a long injury layoff where he wouldnt have been able to train.
Also he had played a 5 setter against Moya just before he played that match against Hewitt at RG 2002.

Sjengster
01-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Yes, Calleri led two sets to one and serving for the match at 5-4 in the fourth, and Canas recovered... actually, after that match at RG Moya said something to the effect that playing Canas was even worse than playing Muster, he just didn't give up - as witnessed by a clip showing him running to a huge forehand approach by Moya and slamming it back down the line with incredible accuracy, causing the Spaniard to collapse in disbelief on his back. Canas won the last two sets 1 and 2 there, in fact.