ESPN lies YET AGAIN [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ESPN lies YET AGAIN

Scotso
01-24-2004, 07:35 AM
ESPN is now saying they're going to show the stupid Williams match AGAIN tomorrow :fiery:

Those assholes PROMISED to show the damn Hewitt vs. Nadal match. May God smite them all! :fiery:

I've never been so angry!!!!!!!!!

Hispanica
01-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Too bad... I really hate this king of mentality

Fedex
01-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Is that true???? **ck ESPN. Amen to what Dr. Scotso said. I wanted to see that match!!!!! :mad: :mad:

J. Corwin
01-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Why'd they show it again? Cuz Venus losing is such big new that they'd want to milk the ratings?

Whatever...I really wanted to see that Hewitt/Nadal match too.

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 11:10 AM
You see, ESPN is stoopid. Because when Nadal gets very good - and he will - your casual tennis viewer in American is going to say "who the fuck is this guy, and why haven't I heard of him before", as he starts progressing into week two of slams - and he will, eventually.

Scotso
01-24-2004, 12:38 PM
On the ESPN website, it doesn't say "tennis," it says "Lleyton Hewitt vs. Rafael Nadal"

That BETTER be what they show. I wrote like 10 emails last night. Maybe others did as well and it woke them up.

Perhaps they will be saved from God's wraith for now :fiery:

Becca, agreed. I don't see how he can't become a top playing, barring major injury.

Scotso
01-24-2004, 12:39 PM
And we can still cheer Rafa on in the doubles :D

MisterQ
01-24-2004, 02:11 PM
OH NO, I really hope they show Nadal. I have been reading about this Wunderkind for months now and I want to see him play. I will be so disappointed. come on ESPN!!!

Leo
01-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Sucks.

But there would realistically be some time left in the show even after re-playing Venus/Lisa, no? Maybe they'd at least show the last set or something. Unless they decide to show Agassi again from yesterday. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 04:37 PM
well I suppose we'll find out in less than a half hour but hopefully they'll show Hewitt/Nadal. I would've liked to have seen the Canas/Henman epic too but I guess Henman is only big news at the All England Club

qliz2000
01-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I was puzzled when the William and Raymond match came on again.

We'll see what they do...

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 05:01 PM
They are gonna show Venus, it looks like.

with "highlights" of the men's side.

unbelievable.

Scotso
01-24-2004, 05:02 PM
BASTARDS :fiery:

Scotso
01-24-2004, 05:07 PM
This is so unbelievable.

If people didn't stay up to watch it the first time then the hell with them :fiery:

They promised Lleyton vs. Rafael.

JennyS
01-24-2004, 05:23 PM
It's pretty pathetic. I just saw the beginning of the broadcast and Chris Fowler gave the results to the Venus/Lisa match right before they were about to reair it. What's the point of giving away results to a tape-delayed match and then repeating it on the air?! That should draw in those ratings.

Mr. Man
01-24-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm pissed too! I was looking forward to watching Lleyton! I've already watched Venus lose once, I don't want to see it again. :mad: Keep writing those e-mails guys!! ESPN needs to die.

tangerine_dream
01-24-2004, 05:35 PM
I already saw Venus lose, I don't need to see it again. I want to see Nadal and Hewitt!!! :mad: :fiery:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 06:18 PM
I'd even watch Canas/Henman but nnnooooooo

TheBoiledEgg
01-24-2004, 06:23 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_espn_012304.html

MisterQ
01-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Thanks for that link, TBE!!!

federerfan7465
01-24-2004, 06:36 PM
WOW. Awesome article! Im soo impressed. Way to stick it 'em! Hell yeah!

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Grar. Oh well. I guess that I'll have to wait till the QF of RG to see Nadal on tv ;)

Scotso
01-24-2004, 06:44 PM
ESPN isn't even going to show a point of Hewitt vs. Nadal.

liS@
01-24-2004, 06:45 PM
It's pretty pathetic. I just saw the beginning of the broadcast and Chris Fowler gave the results to the Venus/Lisa match right before they were about to reair it. What's the point of giving away results to a tape-delayed match and then repeating it on the air?! That should draw in those ratings.

haha did they really?! leave to those retards to pull that stunt.

but seriously, what do ESPN take us for?! do they really think we wouldn't be able to appreciate a Hewitt match vs. a (this may be an understatement...) "relatively unkown" player?!

awww and don' use east coast as an excuse!!! if they missed the late night, they should've taped it if they were true fans!! us west coast shouldn't have to suffer for it and watch repeats!!

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Heh... his fan site apparently quadrupled in hits this morning. So yeah, I guess nodoby knows who he is, and it's best they didn't show him ;)

Not to mention that fact that NOBODY has heard of Hewitt ;)

Scotso
01-24-2004, 06:59 PM
OMG they showed 3 points of it :eek:

I guess we should bow down and worship ESPN for their kindness :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 07:03 PM
OMG they showed 3 points of it :eek:

I guess we should bow down and worship ESPN for their kindness :rolleyes:
Gee. three points. That's worth waiting for :p

They likely showed his crap points too, didn't they? ;)

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Tom A. McFerson :worship:

Thanks for the article, GBE.

Why was the tape delayed portion only 2 hours today?! Every other day it was 3 hours - 4 hours. If they were on air for another hour and a half as they should have been, ESPN could have at least played a set and half from that Hewitt/Nadal match or, better yet, could have showed the last set from Canas/Henman, after the Venus/Raymond replay.

jmp
01-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Great link, TBE! I really was not going to bother writing ESPN because their coverage was soooo blatantly wrong and hardened in concrete. But, I think I'll send that link to them.

This was definitely a low of lows. I've been hearing about Nadal since FO '03. I've now seen him on TV a total of two times for about a minute each. I was really looking forward to the match today. The Canas/Henman highlight looked awesome, too. :sad: :sad: ARGHHH!!! :fiery: :fiery:

Just to digress...How many tennis fans (not Venus fans, NOT fly-by-night-I-just-know-what-they-show-me fans) thought Venus' defeat was THAT big of an upset? Come on!!!

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Just to digress...How many tennis fans (not Venus fans, NOT fly-by-night-I-just-know-what-they-show-me fans) thought Venus' defeat was THAT big of an upset? Come on!!!

*raises hand instantaneously*

But certainly not worth watching twice in 12 hours.

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:57 PM
And, btw, is that true that Jim Courier was not asked to return to ESPN? Come in, he was the best male commentator they had. Clear and unbiased with a good udnerstanding of the game. I guess he was too pro-foreign players for those jingoists in charge at ESPN. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Courier rocks.

the points they showed from both the Canas/Henman and Nadal/Hewitt matches made all 4 players look great. But I would've preferred to see more of either/both of those matches than Venus, AGAIN.

jmp
01-24-2004, 09:30 PM
They MADE me do it...

Email to ESPN:

================================================
Dear Decision Makers:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_espn_012304.html

Please stop repeating American matches! Nadal is the hottest up and comer, bar none, in mens' tennis right now. I had no expectation that he would beat Lleyton. But, I WANT TO SEE HIS FORM. I am a die hard tennis fan not a fair weather, casual observer. You know I have scheduled my life around this and every other major. So, help me! Show me some variety. Show me some foreign players. Reward my loyalty. Don't treat me like a mushroom.

Thanks for your time,
=================================================

Leo, as you wrote, NOT enough to see it twice in 12 hours, three times for the tie break! :mad:

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 09:44 PM
What they should have done with Venus-Lisa is chop the match up; show us most of the second and a bit of the first. That would ahve given us time for a set of either Nadal-Hewitt or Canas-Henman

Devotee
01-24-2004, 09:52 PM
I was really living to see that Hewitt/Nadal match.
When I read that Venus would be on again, I felt like puking.
I didn't even think to turn ESPN on to see any potential highlights
from Hewitt/Nadal or Canas/Henman.
Instead I settled for reading my February issue of National
Geographic magazine.

Agassi will be on ESPN Saturday night here in the U.S.
I could have predicted that. The philosophy of the ESPN
hierarchy must be that if a fan loves tennis that much,
then he or she should attend the tournament in person
rather than watch it on TV.

Devotee
01-24-2004, 09:59 PM
Also, ESPN announces that it will have so-and-so number of hours of
coverage. If they repeat matches, how is that defined as "coverage"?

J. Corwin
01-24-2004, 10:01 PM
I had set my VCR to record the coverage this morning, hoping that it would be Hewitt/Nadal or Canas/Henman. I dreaded the fact that the Venus replay would be on. Since I just saw the highlights of the men's matches, I'm re-taping over that stupid Venus replay.

Lee
01-25-2004, 01:49 AM
I can't believe ESPN will sink this low! :worship: :worship:

tangerine_dream
01-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Since I just saw the highlights of the men's matches, I'm re-taping over that stupid Venus replay.

Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna retape over that stupid Venus match twice.

Mwaaahahahaha. :devil:

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 02:09 AM
YOU TELL 'EM tangy!!

MisterQ
01-25-2004, 02:15 AM

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Tennis Fool
01-25-2004, 02:24 AM
Mister Q: You should have put a spoiler warning, as I was eating when I scrolled to your pix :scared:

MisterQ
01-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Mister Q: You should have put a spoiler warning, as I was eating when I scrolled to your pix :scared:

Sorry about that Tennis Fool. I will remove them, lest this happen to others... :)

J. Corwin
01-25-2004, 02:45 AM
Damn. I missed the pic. What was it??

RogiFan88
01-25-2004, 02:48 AM
So who the hell will we get tomorrow night??!!! There's no AA or Pandy to show, so... and Venus is out... :rolleyes: :mad:

J. Corwin
01-25-2004, 02:50 AM
Federer/Hewitt?

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 02:56 AM
GOD I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MisterQ
01-25-2004, 02:57 AM
It better be Federer/Hewitt. Otherwise I think there will be riots!

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 03:03 AM
would that be a night match, though? If it's a night match, ESPN won't show it live, it'd be in the middle of the night.

then again there are no night matches on RLA today so probably not tomorrow either. THEY BETTER SHOW IT!!!!!!

Tricky_Forehand
01-25-2004, 03:05 AM
I see that I'm not the only one extremely pissed off about missing Rafael vs. Lleyton. I was really looking forward to that match and had a tape all ready to record it. Needless to say I'm extremely pissed :mad: :mad: !!

From what i understand, we haven't even had coverage of David, Sebastien, and/or Juanqui. ESPN dishes out the bullshit that they show top players...well, who are those three??? David is 8, Sebastien is 9 and Juanqui is 3. That's not the top??

I, honestly, didn't think that the coverage could be worse than last year. Boy, was I proven wrong!! I have a feeling that I'm going to be buying a lot of matches from Sports Resources :rolleyes:. But the price and quality is good so it'll be worth it. It's because of them that I finally got to see Rafael play a whole match and realize that he deserves the "hype" he gets :D . It's too bad that ESPN is treating their viewers like a bunch of idiots. And most die-hards will watch on the off chance that we get to see our favorites play.

I'm wondering how many more complaints ESPN needs to receive before they get it that their logic sucks. I think that tennisreporters.net had the best letter of complaint.

It's too bad that we can't get more doubles shown but I guess one battle at a time, right? :p

Leo
01-25-2004, 04:44 AM
They'll definitely show Federer/Hewitt and Myskina/Rubin.

Scotso
01-25-2004, 05:17 AM
If they don't show Federer/Hewitt then they have major issues.

RogiFan88
01-25-2004, 03:45 PM
ESPN sucks big time... it's bad enough they don't show non-Amer [so they showed part of Rogi's match vs. Morrison but when Jeffie was losing, they cut to the boring Hewitt/Kucera match... big deal!] but why bother with ALL these timeslots if only to REPEAT the matches fr the night before??????? :rolleyes: ...and I may add it's usually the BORING ones to boot.

They won't show Federer/Hewitt tonight cos they play late so they have to show whatever is live OR they'll show Rubin cos she's Amer OR they'll just go LIVE and show probably Nalby [their reply to everyone's complaints, I suppose :rolleyes: ] OR worse, they'll show Flip vs. Arazi, the least of the R16 matches for today... when they SHOULD be showing Rogi/Lleyt.

SO... that leaves Mon. 2pm... IF they repeat tonight's broadcast, there will be WAR! They cannot fail to show the most important R16 match in this tourney and not fear for their lives.

We'll see... I'm not expecting anything good or logical... :mad:

Shy
01-25-2004, 03:50 PM
If they do not show Federer and Hewitt (it is like a final more than a round 16)or Canas and Nalbandian( especially if it is close), I might go hit them with my books.

JennyS
01-25-2004, 03:58 PM
I think they will show the Roger/Lleyton match tommorow afternoon. I think they are slated to be on the air for four hours so they will probably show the match then.

It really is a shame that they keep repeating American's matches. USA is much better during the US Open. They rarely stay with a blowout match when something more exciting is going on.

It's no wonder that so many American viewers don't really appreciate this tournament. They don't get to see most of it!

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 04:19 PM
I can't imagine them NOT showing Roger/Lleyton.

Shy
01-25-2004, 04:23 PM
I can't imagine them NOT showing Roger/Lleyton.
Yeah me too, a match between two grand slams winners and they aren't exactly unknown. Since the beginning of the tournament, this is probably the match that everyone is waiting for.The commentators from espn seem pretty excited about that match.

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 04:32 PM
yea...I'm sure it'll be tomorrow afternoon's match... i mean they haven't got anything else to show lol

RogiFan88
01-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Yeah me too, a match between two grand slams winners and they aren't exactly unknown. Since the beginning of the tournament, this is probably the match that everyone is waiting for.The commentators from espn seem pretty excited about that match.

EXACTLY! I mean, they [the Dorks at ESPN] can hardly go vs. their wonderful team of Fowler, PMac, Cliffie and Mary, can they??!! ;) If they don't listen to THEM [ultimate tennis gurus], who will they listen to?!

Well, I hope you're all right about this -- I forgot there's 4 hrs of coverage -- that s just about cover the Rogi/Lleyt match!

Fingers crossed...

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 04:55 PM
well I mean think about it this way. If they don't show the Roger/Lleyton match tomorrow afternoon what WOULD they show? lol

star
01-25-2004, 05:01 PM

This is so disappointing to me. :sad:

Santorofan
01-25-2004, 09:34 PM
The ESPN disappointment continues! I have started to root against Agassi and especially Roddick whom the network has made me so sick of watching (for christ sakes they act like AR's some kind of super-hero/demi-god)..talk about overkill...ok, enough already!! Chris Fowler is pretty damn annoying as well, and Brad Gilbert adds nothing insightful to their already dismill coverage/analysis.

Have others started rooting against Roddick/Agassi as well (so by default they will be forced to show other matches/players)? As tennis fans, is this what we've been reduced to?

Scotso
01-25-2004, 09:47 PM
I used to like Roddick, if that's any indication of how sick I am of the media.

federerfan7465
01-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Hmmmm, ESPN.com has indicated that they will be showing Lisa Raymond against some nobody at the 10:00 broadcast. BUt wait, Lisa's match begins at 7. oh yeah, rather than showing live mediocre women's matches or quality live men's matches, they are opting for a taped shitty amtch with the girl who beat Venus. ESPN has hit an all itme low. And i have school tomorrow so i cant watch the KIng of all Tennis vs the Whiney Chicken Pox brat tomorrow after noon ( fuck!). I'm very mad right now.

andylover_16
01-25-2004, 10:19 PM
ok ive had enough of espn:mad:...either they show the tennis coverage our shut down for good!

Lee
01-25-2004, 11:45 PM
EXACTLY! I mean, they [the Dorks at ESPN] can hardly go vs. their wonderful team of Fowler, PMac, Cliffie and Mary, can they??!! ;) If they don't listen to THEM [ultimate tennis gurus], who will they listen to?!

Well, I hope you're all right about this -- I forgot there's 4 hrs of coverage -- that s just about cover the Rogi/Lleyt match!

Fingers crossed...

No RogiFan, ESPN has a team of market research gurus who know nothing about tennis telling them who the viewers want to see. ;)

Devotee
01-26-2004, 05:54 AM
Sunday night on ESPN Pam Shriver stated that the 1st 2 sets
of the Hewitt/Nadal match were phenomenal.