Anyone Else Notice This? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anyone Else Notice This?

faboozadoo15
01-24-2004, 04:08 AM
in the new tms houston commercial, for next year of course, 7 players are shown in parts of it. granted agassi and roddick (neither won this year) are shown in the vast majority of the commercial. meanwhile, federer, who WON and will be defending champion, is not shown even hitting a ball. :eek: i wonder if this has to do with mac's tirade where he screamed at roger for his comments about the unlevel court... or is he still just sour that federer beat roddick... once... and agasii... twice? :confused:

MisterQ
01-24-2004, 04:11 AM
I didn't notice that! Knowing how much Mac oversees every aspect of the tournament, I wouldn't be surprised if he had some input.

then again it could be an "oversight" :lol:

tangerine_dream
01-24-2004, 04:16 AM
It'll just make Fed's win next year taste even sweeter. :lol:

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2004, 07:05 AM
Lol Tangerine

It shows how biased the Americans are (ok now that is a biased statement too, but, whatever.. lol) when it comes to their own players. They don't really care about other, perhaps even better players, if they can fill an entire commercial with players à la Agassi and Roddick.

Fedex
01-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Yes, i've noticed this. Figures that biased little shit hole, Mac, would put their American Players in for a majority of the time, & almost completly leave out the champion!!! Just win Again next year Fed, so Mac might just kill himself. Who Knows?? No guarentee that Roddick, or Agassi will be there next year. Imagine if not even 1 American player makes the Masters Cup next year!! He had better get used to other players besides Americans winning tournaments!!

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Amen!

faboozadoo15
01-24-2004, 07:48 AM
gosh if i would have known that this post of mine would have stirred up anti american sentiment, i wouldn't have shared it at all. :rolleyes:
the funny thing about SOME non american posters is that they will denounce a country so quickly for something so small such as this when their own country does it! i bet my bottom dollar that a commercial in spain will predominantly highlight jcf, moya.... over roddick, agassi, federer... i mean it's about selling tickets, not respect.

the reason i brought this up is because it was aimed at 1 player.. and this player had an argument with the director and then dismissed his 2 favorite players... and he was left out of the commercial... and let's not forget that federer won the whole damn event... and the biggest check in tennis history (i could be wrong). seems like that should have made the ad.

be anti mac if you wish... but not anti american.... that is, if you want any respect yourself.

Fedex
01-24-2004, 08:13 AM
I am 100% Anti-Mac, but not Anti-American. Hell, how can i be anti american when I AM American! ;)

undomiele
01-24-2004, 08:20 AM
No surprise here. Mac is a narrow-minded putz. You would think he could learn to respect reputed players who can only be accused of doing their jobs.

I kinda agree with you faboozadoo (? -long one there!) all countries will be biased in favor of their players and from what I hear from the Australian Open.. be charged with "doing" things to help their players along: linecalls, etc. Im often embarrassed at how south americans behave when the DC is held here... :o The one thing about Houston was that they let Mac get away with that disgraceful speech --you would think they (the ATP? or whatever) would have gotten a clue to the fact that that guy was not the best person to give the congratulatory speech. :rolleyes:

I guess Im anti-Mac though those jerks at the US Open are almost just as bad.

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2004, 05:44 PM
the funny thing about SOME non american posters is that they will denounce a country so quickly for something so small such as this when their own country does it!

I am not anti American citizens, but this is just a case in which some players are being hyped, clearly only because of their nationality. That is understandable, but that doesn't make it tolerable to me. And you are right, of course, by saying that Spain would do the same thing, and it is easy for me to say that The Netherlands won't, just since we, in Holland, don't have that many big stars. But even if that would be the case, it would still be a cheap way to act on the chauvinist sentiment of the Dutch viewers.

Moreover, I think that a commercial for the TMS Cup should not include that many (supposedly that many, since I haven't seen it myself) images of American players, especially since there is no guarantee that these players will indeed qualify. Therefore, it can be seen as misleading too.

Concluding, all I am saying is that the commercial is unfair and unacceptable. This is not based on the fact that the commercial primarily focuses on American players, although I do highly disagree with the American politics ;)

tangerine_dream
01-24-2004, 05:48 PM
gosh if i would have known that this post of mine would have stirred up anti american sentiment, i wouldn't have shared it at all. :rolleyes:

You should've been here during the US Open and TMC Houston when many of the non-Americans were having fits because they were convinced that there was some huge ATP conspiracy to get Agassi & Roddick in a final together. :rolleyes:

Havok
01-24-2004, 05:48 PM
it's allllllllll about the money people. they don't care who's ranked where, who won what, they just wanna sell all their tickets and make money. pretty pathetic, but promoting Agassi and Roddick will do that. i'm unable to see the commercial because TSN doesn't show the masters cup commercials, but judging by what i've read here, i think i sumed it up quite well

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2004, 05:56 PM
That would be an obvious conclusion to make out of my plea, Naldo ;) Since I said that the commercial was only aiming at the cheap sentiment of the chauvinist American. If they aim well, tickets will be sold easily.

faboozadoo15
01-24-2004, 06:54 PM
You should've been here during the US Open and TMC Houston when many of the non-Americans were having fits because they were convinced that there was some huge ATP conspiracy to get Agassi & Roddick in a final together. :rolleyes:
oh, :lol: i was here for that too, it was when i first started posting (i at one time used to just read threads...).
i only wanted to draw attention to this bc i thought it was just crazy... i watched the thing twice saying to myself-- "where's roger???" and then i remembered all the shit he went through with mac... america loves roger, anyway. all the tennis journalists write about his matches as if they're works of art, even when he has piles of ue's. so this was clearly a thing mac did.

faboozadoo15
01-24-2004, 06:56 PM
it's allllllllll about the money people. they don't care who's ranked where, who won what, they just wanna sell all their tickets and make money. pretty pathetic, but promoting Agassi and Roddick will do that. i'm unable to see the commercial because TSN doesn't show the masters cup commercials, but judging by what i've read here, i think i sumed it up quite well
the funny thing about this is roger is quite popular, and all the players are shown BUT him. roger sells tickets and gets attention.

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:46 PM
I was going to mention this, actually (although not in a thread). Ferrero and Federer were completely absent (preposterous). Moya and Coria only had one clip each. Schuettler and Nalbandian each had 2-3 clips. Roddick and Agassi flooded the commercial.

Ma. Estefania
01-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanx God I haven't watched it yet.... *sighs*

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 07:36 PM
I was going to mention this, actually (although not in a thread). Ferrero and Federer were completely absent (preposterous). Moya and Coria only had one clip each. Schuettler and Nalbandian each had 2-3 clips. Roddick and Agassi flooded the commercial.
i could have SWORN that i saw ferrero in the commercial. he has a black shirt and shorts on... very blonde hair lol. i was damn sure he made it too.

Shy
01-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Do the american media hate Ferrero or something? The poor guy barely get any ink and coverage.

sigmagirl91
01-25-2004, 07:41 PM
I saw what Leo saw. So, Leo, you are NOT imagining things....

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 07:50 PM
then it's me :eek:
so mac has something against any of the players who can beat andy and andre...

tangerine_dream
01-25-2004, 08:17 PM
then it's me :eek:
so mac has something against any of the players who can beat andy and andre...

By that logic, seeing as how Andre beat Ferrero, there's no reason why JCF shouldn't be included in the promo.

Also, Nalbandian had some big problems with Mattress Mac and wasn't afraid to yell at him during the Agassi match nor rip his show to bits during his after-match interview.

And yet, he's shown in the promo at least twice, I think.

So who knows why Fed wasn't included? :shrug:

star
01-25-2004, 08:18 PM
in the new tms houston commercial, for next year of course, 7 players are shown in parts of it. granted agassi and roddick (neither won this year) are shown in the vast majority of the commercial. meanwhile, federer, who WON and will be defending champion, is not shown even hitting a ball. :eek: i wonder if this has to do with mac's tirade where he screamed at roger for his comments about the unlevel court... or is he still just sour that federer beat roddick... once... and agasii... twice? :confused:

Oh yes. It's part of a conspiracy. It's starting already.

:rolleyes:

star
01-25-2004, 08:20 PM
I conditioned myself long ago to tune out Mac. The second I hear his voice, my brain goes on ignore. :)

Leo
01-25-2004, 08:38 PM
I saw what Leo saw. So, Leo, you are NOT imagining things....

Oh, good. That's a change. :)

It doesn't make sense that Federer, the defending champion, and Ferrero, world #3, are not included in the commercial, but I really don't care.

Btw, will thHouston commercial air during the Super Bowl again, like last year? That'd be big.

Oh, just realized something. ESPN isn't playingt those "New Balls" commercials anymore. I really liked those.

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Oh yes. It's part of a conspiracy. It's starting already.

:rolleyes:

i didn't say it was a conspiracy... more that mattress mac hates federer, and he left him out of his congratulatory speech, so why wouldnt he just leave him out of his commercial?
pay attention.

star
01-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Jawhol, mein Herr!!

Zu Befehl!

:lol:

darnyelb
01-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Federer wasn't exactly the only one Mac had a problem with, right? Didn't Nalbandian and Schuettler (whose top 8 status is now in question) too have complaints and still make it into the commercial? What gives?

Or perhaps the commercial was produced by the folks who do the Houston Chronicle sports section that mixed up JCF and RF's captions. They figured hey, let's not include them since the idiots we are might mix 'em up :)

star
01-25-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm just amazed that anyone has paid attention to that commercial. I don't think I've watched it even once.

darnyelb
01-25-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm with you star... as soon as I hear Jimmy Mac's grating voice my brain's defense mechanisms kick in and I immediately tune out.

tangerine_dream
01-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Oh, just realized something. ESPN isn't playingt those "New Balls" commercials anymore. I really liked those.

I wonder if there's anyplace on the web to download and view those "new balls" commercials? :scratch:

Deboogle!.
01-25-2004, 11:00 PM
they had them on the ATP site at some point. AR.com might even have one

J. Corwin
01-25-2004, 11:17 PM
They don't put that commercial on TV anymore cuz they're not really New Balls at this point.

As for the TMC commercial, it's expected. Doesn't make it right of course. I've seen that commercial several times and it gets mundane.

faboozadoo15
01-25-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm just amazed that anyone has paid attention to that commercial. I don't think I've watched it even once.
ya don't say... :rolleyes: