Time for the truth: what do you like the least about Marat? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Time for the truth: what do you like the least about Marat?

Vass
01-23-2004, 07:13 PM
It took me some time to finally post this one. :o But it is something different.
Anyway, c'mon everyone has some negative qualities, what is it? :wavey:

To be frank I feel a bit uncomfortable when Marat starts to argue seriously with the officials especially the chair umpire. Ofcourse this is only in times when Marat is actually wrong. I feel like ripping the umpire's head off myself when Marat is right though ;) .
PS: that Hopman Cup incident with a female foot-foult 'Nazi' was not so bad, but rather curious. :D

Iza
01-23-2004, 08:05 PM
yeah, maybe this is his biggest flaw. i can't think of anything else now, tho.

Aurora
01-23-2004, 11:19 PM
You're right, that's the biggest probably. (did get the footfaults out his game soon huh? lol@when he smiled in his match against Martin when he was footfaulted) The most frustrating moments to watch for me are those when he loses the focus on tennis when he's mad or frustrated.

MisterQ
01-23-2004, 11:35 PM
That he beat Andre in the 1998 French Open! ;)

Ma. Estefania
01-23-2004, 11:59 PM
The most frustrating moments to watch for me are those when he loses the focus on tennis when he's mad or frustrated.

Yes for me too, then I gotta agree with you. :D

Vass
01-24-2004, 10:50 AM
I was going to bring tha "angry" point too. It might be amusing to some, but I want to cry during those moments. They are almost always associated with losing, and they detter the comeback into the game. Make it much harder to get back in the game.

marat_
01-24-2004, 11:14 AM
I love it when he's angry! Haha.. it brings some excitement and drama into the game. Although sometimes he does go too over the top and his emotions get the better of him.

As for least.. I agree with Vass and Estefania. His unpredictable nature makes his game exciting but sometimes its awfully frustrating especially because he allows his temperament to take over!

Shadow
01-24-2004, 11:27 AM
i agree with Will. Its just a question of the temperament taking Marat over in the match or not. Thats different from match to match.
And Marat is like that, he cant change it;)

Conchon
01-24-2004, 02:19 PM
I like least how Marat has concentration lapses. However, hopefully he'll work those out. :)

qliz2000
01-24-2004, 05:24 PM
It's dissapointing to watch him lose confidence and become enraged. It damages his game, but he's seems to get over it ok.

qliz2000
01-26-2004, 08:18 PM
But most players get mad some time or other.
In recent matches, Marat got over his anger.
He made an ace after disagreeing with one call in the match against Blake.

allusion
01-27-2004, 12:05 AM
I think it's because if he controlled his mentality just a little bit more, success would come easier for him.

aveline
01-27-2004, 08:41 AM
I like too his mentality....it's him that's all and I think it's quite funny when he start speaking in russian :)

but for my part his most defect is that he is lazzy...If he worked more he could be the first all the time :) (exscuse me I am not sure of the word because I stopped learning english last year : paresseux in french ;) )

cheliste
01-27-2004, 09:27 AM
I have to say when he gets frustrated with himself and he loses concentration and focus. Those are the times I feel the urge to bang my head against the wall. But on the other side of the coin, his being emotional is one quality that draws me to Marat. So does it cancel each other out? ;) As long as it doesn't get overboard.

Marat is holding himself much better compared to..hmm about 3 years ago. The boy is maturing. ;)

Aurora
01-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Very true cheliste, it's a mixed bag. I'd rather get frustrated over the lapses sometimes than having a Marat with a different personality.

Iza
01-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I like too his mentality....it's him that's all and I think it's quite funny when he start speaking in russian :)

but for my part his most defect is that he is lazzy...If he worked more he could be the first all the time :) (exscuse me I am not sure of the word because I stopped learning english last year : paresseux in french ;) )

lazy....yeah it's true! sometimes

allusion
01-29-2004, 05:08 AM
He has admitted in some interviews to not applying himself 100% all the time, (naturally), and not having the energy to pick up the raquet on some days. Heh. Which is I guess in a way bad, but it's good for the overall perspective on life. I guess it's one thing to achieve your best results by working hard & fulfilling your potential and talent, but another to realise that tennis is not your entire life. And I think Marat knows the latter part well.

Kiara
02-01-2004, 04:49 PM
I ABHOR the spitting!!!

Kiara
02-01-2004, 05:03 PM
He has admitted in some interviews to not applying himself 100% all the time, (naturally), and not having the energy to pick up the raquet on some days. Heh. Which is I guess in a way bad, but it's good for the overall perspective on life. I guess it's one thing to achieve your best results by working hard & fulfilling your potential and talent, but another to realise that tennis is not your entire life. And I think Marat knows the latter part well.

He seems to be coming to terms with the former as well ;)....about freaking time too! :p
Actually alot of players have their lazy days I remember reading an interview with Andy after his whole Nottingham-Queens-Wimbledon stint and he said that he didnt even want to look at a tennis racquet for the next few days, it happens to everyone (it just happens more frequently to Marat ;) )- how much of a nutcase would you be if you let your job consume your whole life ?

Kiara
02-01-2004, 05:15 PM
It took me some time to finally post this one. :o But it is something different.
Anyway, c'mon everyone has some negative qualities, what is it? :wavey:

To be frank I feel a bit uncomfortable when Marat starts to argue seriously with the officials especially the chair umpire. Ofcourse this is only in times when Marat is actually wrong. I feel like ripping the umpire's head off myself when Marat is right though ;) .
PS: that Hopman Cup incident with a female foot-foult 'Nazi' was not so bad, but rather curious. :D

I was a bit annoyed at him when he whined through his 4th round AO 2002 match against Sampras, ok that was a tight match and all but I didnt like Marat's attitude there....then again Im a Coria fan so I cant really complain about Marat bitching over a few dubious line calls....Coria bitches over just about everything ;)
The Hopman cup Nazi scene was Hil-ar-ious :lol: Marat shouldve just laughed it off like Xavier and Hewitt did.