azza
01-23-2004, 09:58 AM
So much for the exciting match it was meant to be :rolleyes:

WyverN
01-23-2004, 10:04 AM
amazingly one of Dent's games was a break of serve

J. Corwin
01-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Taylor killed hiimself with all those double faults. From the looks of the stats, Andy played great as well.

TheBoiledEgg
01-23-2004, 10:11 AM
what happened to the Goon ???
i just got back in and :rolleyes:

at least i can see Seb now :D

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Dent, that was just fucking lame. Man. It's official: I only root for complete tools. Yes Ferrero, that means you too.

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 10:18 AM
The worst part about this is that you already have Roddick fans praising him for putting Dent in his place, completely neglecting the ASS stats that Dent put up. I figured Roddick would win this one in four (I didn't write it on the board, but discussed it on msn with a certain "Hurley" if you don't believe me :p), so this was a complete dissapointment.

Lucie
01-23-2004, 10:31 AM
that match was unbelievably bad, all roddick had to do was hit the ball in court and let dent mess up, i feel sorry for the people who paid money to see it

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 10:54 AM
What was Dent doing :rolleyes:
Not much, apparently.

Havok
01-23-2004, 01:14 PM
:eek: Roddick
:o Dent
aw poor TBE too bad Roddick won yet another match. i know it pains you, but to bad:p

star
01-23-2004, 01:38 PM
I think we've already established that Roddick is the luckiest player ever to have lifted a racquet. :)

andylover_16
01-23-2004, 01:54 PM
well done Roddick:)

WyverN
01-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Roddick is extremely close to USO 2003 form
who can stop him?

Probably only Andre and Federer

sigmagirl91
01-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Like someone just said, so much for the trouble Dent was supposed to be for Roddick. Guess Taylor sucked ass in that match to only win four games.... :eek:

star
01-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Roddick is extremely close to USO 2003 form
who can stop him?

Probably only Andre and Federer

You might be right. But in a slam, defeat can come at any time. I haven't heard a reliable match report about how Andy was playing vs. how Dent was playing. I expected Andy to beat Dent in 3 sets, but I didn't expect such a onesided scoreline.

Spikey_Todd Reid_#1Fan
01-23-2004, 02:13 PM
I was there, wat a great worth of my ticket :crying2: :o

WyverN
01-23-2004, 02:13 PM
You might be right. But in a slam, defeat can come at any time. I haven't heard a reliable match report about how Andy was playing vs. how Dent was playing. I expected Andy to beat Dent in 3 sets, but I didn't expect such a onesided scoreline.

Roddick was playing well
Dent was playing awful however obviously some of that awful playing from dent was a direct result of Roddick playing well

Roddick got on top of Dents service games early and Dent collapsed under the pressure and never got into any rhythm
i

star
01-23-2004, 02:15 PM
I had thought the first set might be tight, but that after Roddick had established himself there, the next two sets would be routine and fairly easy. ..... because I foresaw the pressure getting to Dent and causing him to go for too much.

Dent might deserve a place on that other silly thread. :)

Howlman
01-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Dent, that was just fucking lame. Man. It's official: I only root for complete tools. Yes Ferrero, that means you too.
My Queen,
I always find you to be fair...
NOW you have to admit Roddick had some very good stats.
YES Dent just was in OUTTA SPACE But...
Andy only had 4 aces Serving % was 61%
won 88% net approaches 14/16
11 UFO to 30 winners
Which MEANS it wasn't JUST about the serve.

heya
01-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Dent was squinting for more than hour because he was waiting to get his new glasses at Lens Crafters.

Roddick's farsightedness aided him because Dent
was serving from where the audience was.

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 02:55 PM
I really do feel badly for Taylor. the quotes in articles from his press conference are heart-breaking.

star, a couple articles I read said it was Andy's best return performance ever. Considering he only hit 4 aces, he wasn't serving extraordinarily fantastic, so he must've just played well. And it sounds like Taylor helped him out a little along the way.

I had to rub my eyes and take a triple take when I saw the score. I guess I was the only one who thought Taylor was gonna take a set off Andy at least.

jmp
01-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Congrats to Andy. His stats look very encouraging.

I feel REAL bad for Taylor. He has so much potential and a unique s/v style with power. But, he can NOT get it together for the big moments. :sad:

ESPNs day session will be yet another beat down...

Note to bunk: I thought he had the goods to get at least one set off Andy, too. If his head and game come together at the right moment, he has what it takes to beat Andy.

star
01-23-2004, 03:27 PM
My Queen,
11 UFO to 30 winners

:worship:

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 03:28 PM
My Queen,
11 UFO to 30 winners

Yes, I noted in the scoring thread that Roddick's stats were very good, and at no point did I say his victory had anything to do with just his serve :p

tangerine_dream
01-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Clean up in aisle three! :banana:

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Like someone just said, so much for the trouble Dent was supposed to be for Roddick. Guess Taylor sucked ass in that match to only win four games.... :eek:
Statistically, Dent didn't play a great match last round either. Altough his double fault rate was at least stretched over five sets as opposed to three. But he was able to get away with it against Chela (who also was statistically crap ;)), and as I said at the time... he needed to lift it up for Roddick, and it looks like he didn't. I really doubt that I'll watch today to find out, as I can't justify wasting an hour of my life on this. I don't even watch Ferrero when he wins this easily.

star
01-23-2004, 03:36 PM

You crack me up consistently. :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 03:48 PM
lol tangy, always there with comic relief :)

CooCooCachoo
01-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Teehee! Taylor out.. What a pity, ROFL :p

Experimentee
01-23-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm glad I was watching Hrbaty vs Grosjean instead of this match. :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
01-23-2004, 04:52 PM
from the BBC:

"That was definitely without question the worst tennis experience of my entire life - not only professional career, but my entire life"
—Taylor Dent is distraught after his demolition by Andy Roddick

"I was super happy with the way I returned tonight. I don't know if I've returned that well in a match before"
— Roddick following the destruction of his fellow American

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 05:16 PM
"That was definitely without question the worst tennis experience of my entire life - not only professional career, but my entire life"

:sad:

There is a quote on espn in the "serving it up" section where he apparently responded to a heckler who was bitching about the fact taht she paid good money for her seat with something like "I'm paying with my pride for staying out here".

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 05:40 PM
yea Becca, here it is:

"One person yelled out 'Come on Taylor, I paid good money for these seats', and I answered back 'Look, it's costing me a lot of pride to stay out here'."

I really feel badly for him and you could tell in Andy's interview, he did too b/c he's been there (they haven't released the full interviews yet but apparently Andy compared it to the lesson Sampras gave him at the USO).

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
yea Becca, here it is:

"One person yelled out 'Come on Taylor, I paid good money for these seats', and I answered back 'Look, it's costing me a lot of pride to stay out here'."

I really feel badly for him and you could tell in Andy's interview, he did too b/c he's been there (they haven't released the full interviews yet but apparently Andy compared it to the lesson Sampras gave him at the USO).
Andy really should compare himself to Sampras more often *smirk* I kid... in terms of scoreline, it was a good example, I suppose. Although, at least he gave Sampras a bit of a match. That does come across as horribly arrogant... beware of the haters ;)

Anyways, I suppose that he's not a tool anymore. He's just gone from T-DENT back to Dent head. These things happen ;)

Havok
01-23-2004, 06:21 PM
:haha::haha::haha::haha:

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 06:41 PM
no no Becca he didn't compare himself to Pete. He compared the way Taylor felt to the way he felt after Pete kicked his ass.... big difference lol I should have been clearer.

J. Corwin
01-23-2004, 06:53 PM
I feel bad for Taylor too...especially after reading those quotes.

I'm gonna go watch this match on TV now. Ciao!

tennischick
01-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Duckboy owes Chela big. Clearly Chela helped soften up the Goon in their five-setter.

star
01-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I think that is true to some degree.

And as we have already established: Andy is the luckiest guy ever to have picked up a racquet.

Sjengster
01-23-2004, 07:04 PM
So, Denthead is dead - long live the Sjengman! I guarantee he'll make few errors than Dent did, and certainly fewer double faults; unfortunately, whether he has anything whatsoever to threaten Roddick looks rather doubtful after last year's US Open drubbing. Still, he did play a fairly big server in the third round, Jurgen Melzer, so he's got his returning shoes on already...

star
01-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Sjeng is a worthy opponent.

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Does anybody else get the feeling that star sucks on lemons all day, or is it just me?

star
01-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Cute :)

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm watching the match... Nothing was working for Taylor and he wasn't making the adjustments necessary when Andy was getting all his serves back.

But then again, Andy really did return unbelievably (for him), he really did volley well (which seems ironic against a serve-volleyer lol), and he hit great passing shots.

So it was a combo of both, to me.

Howlman
01-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Duckboy owes Chela big. Clearly Chela helped soften up the Goon in their five-setter.
TennisCHYCK and what do we owe YOU for your loser post!!!!
The only GOON here is you HATER!!

Howlman
01-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Yes, I noted in the scoring thread that Roddick's stats were very good, and at no point did I say his victory had anything to do with just his serve :p
My Queen,
I NEVER said you said that!!!!!!!(about his serve)That was for the wonderful HATERS like TennisCHYKK
I was merely pointing out the stats, which YOU have pointed out (about others)in the past.
Now I am sure your response will be followed by Tangerine Dream saying Clean-up in Isle 3 which is funny....albeit cheap!

tennischick
01-24-2004, 03:09 AM
Reading those quotes I have a lot more sympathy for Dent.

Still, sort it out for next time please. I can't believe that someone who was playing that well against Agassi in the US open could lost by such a scoreline (not that I saw much of the match LOL.)

Some credit to Roddick of course ;).
interesting...just finished watching the match (i taped it today) and i found myself wondering how much money it would take to induce me to lose a match that badly.

not saying that Chela didn't help to destroy Denthead. only that IMO it wasn't enuf. tank job anyone...? :shudder:

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2004, 07:15 AM

OK.. right. Sorry, but this guy needs to grow up. Of course it was a humiliating experience on court, but if this is worst experience ever, then he lost touch with reality. It's a game and that means there are winners and losers. If you lose, you obviously weren't good enough, that's it. You pack your bags, train harder and make sure it doesn't happen again. Don't whine! Although, I do have to say, I liked him shouting at the woman, lol.

And when it comes to Schalken being a worthy opponent to Roddick. He'll be worthier than Dent, but not worthy enough to win a set, or, probably, even make it to a tie-break.

WyverN
01-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Schalken is just not the type of player to bother Roddick. 6-3, 6-3, 6-2 sounds reasonable

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 04:38 PM
The thing with Andy is that what he's been working the hardest on is returns. Considering he returned impressively against someone as hard a server as himself, he SHOULD pounce on Schalken's serves. That combined with how difficult is to break him.. should be no problem.

star
01-24-2004, 05:17 PM

OK.. right. Sorry, but this guy needs to grow up. Of course it was a humiliating experience on court, but if this is worst experience ever, then he lost touch with reality. It's a game and that means there are winners and losers. If you lose, you obviously weren't good enough, that's it. You pack your bags, train harder and make sure it doesn't happen again. Don't whine! Although, I do have to say, I liked him shouting at the woman, lol.

And when it comes to Schalken being a worthy opponent to Roddick. He'll be worthier than Dent, but not worthy enough to win a set, or, probably, even make it to a tie-break.

To be fair, in his interview, Dent said that things in tennis sting him much more than they should. He said the good players take these things much more in stride and move on. He said it was something he was working on doing.

Mr. Man
01-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Typical from a hater.

tangerine_dream
01-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Hee! "Duckboy" doesn't owe Chela anything. He played and returned terrifically and poor Dent was serving df after df. Chela had nothing to do with their match. :angel:

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2004, 05:48 PM
To be fair, in his interview, Dent said that things in tennis sting him much more than they should. He said the good players take these things much more in stride and move on. He said it was something he was working on doing.

OK Star, that makes things more acceptable. Especially since he doesn't think of himself as a good player. At least he and I agree on something ;) Nah, he is a reasonable player, but I just don't like his game and it sounded to me as if he was whining.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 06:19 PM
no I don't think Taylor was whining.... well you can see for yourself

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2004-01-24/200401241074910416373.html

they have video

Leo
01-24-2004, 08:20 PM
For all those who watched the match on ESPN, did that actually happen when Dent hit the ball out of the stadium? They played a clip of Dent giving the ball a major ride out of Rod Laver Arena, and landing right on the ESPN headquarters desk nearby the stadium! Mary Joe Fernandez and Crhis Fowler were studying up on results but were stunned shitless when the ball almost smacked them in the head. :lol: I was literally rolling on the floor with laughter.

But did it actually happen, or was it staged as a joke? It seems too hilarious to be real. :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:23 PM
it was just a joke silly Leo

they made the comment of "what else have we got to do when it's 6-2 4-0"

Leo
01-24-2004, 08:33 PM
it was just a joke silly Leo

they made the comment of "what else have we got to do when it's 6-2 4-0"

I must have missed that comment b/c I was laughing so hard. Oh well, too good to be true. But I must commend Mary Joe and Chris on their acting skills; they really fooled me. :yeah:

Ma. Estefania
01-24-2004, 08:36 PM
no I don't think Taylor was whining....

Well I don't think he was whining either; though at the middle of the 2nd set he seemed pretty disappointed....I even felt some pity for him. :o

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:41 PM
LOL Leo!!!!!!!!

and omg I felt SO bad for Taylor... the worst was the crowd heckling.. I mean god, he still have it his best out there, he's just still too inconsistent of a player and it didn't help him that Andy played great. That just seems cruel of a "fan".... gah

¿esquímaux?
01-24-2004, 08:55 PM
:lol: Roddick put a dent in Dent

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:57 PM
yea..... the headline on many of the post-match articles from the news wires was "Andy puts a Dent in Taylor's ego" ..... god, poor kid!!!!!!!

Leo
01-24-2004, 09:02 PM
I remember the headlines when Dent took a set from Agassi at one Wimbledon (2000, maybe), but still lost in 4: "Taylor Can't Put a Dent in Andre Agassi"

Don't ask me why I even posted this, it's not that amazing.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 09:03 PM
because bad puns are always amusing lol

Leo
01-24-2004, 09:06 PM
True dat. ;)

Whoa, Pete Sampras is on TV playing in a ProAm golf event! I think he's shooting +8 or something, while the leader is at -24. :o Well, what can you expect, he's no Mark McGwire. (Mark McGwire, the baseball legend, recently won an 8-shot exhibition tournament against some of the very best golfing pros, having only played seriously for about 2 years!)

Fedex
01-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Dent will have his revenge soon enough :devil: How about at the french?? Neither of their games are built for clay, so that might be interesting.Glad i didnt have to suffer through that match. Poor Dent :sad: He atleast continued playing even when his level of play was about equal to that of a 5 year old.

Leo
01-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Dent will be lucky to win one match on the dirt this year. Last year he was creamed in the first round by James Blake, playing some of the worst clay court tennis I've ever seen. :lol: Although, he probably will stand a *slightly* better chance on clay now that his baseline game has improved and become more consistent.

J. Corwin
01-24-2004, 10:08 PM
For all those who watched the match on ESPN, did that actually happen when Dent hit the ball out of the stadium? They played a clip of Dent giving the ball a major ride out of Rod Laver Arena, and landing right on the ESPN headquarters desk nearby the stadium! Mary Joe Fernandez and Crhis Fowler were studying up on results but were stunned shitless when the ball almost smacked them in the head. :lol: I was literally rolling on the floor with laughter.

But did it actually happen, or was it staged as a joke? It seems too hilarious to be real. :lol:

It can't have happened. Rod Laver Arena is too far from that booth. ;) :p

Fedex
01-24-2004, 10:29 PM
But i heard the ball did indeed go out of Rod Laver Arena!!

Leo
01-25-2004, 05:09 AM
It can't have happened. Rod Laver Arena is too far from that booth. ;) :p

I'm bad with distances, kay?! :fiery: ;)