Mal: Blake will defeat Safin in 5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mal: Blake will defeat Safin in 5

Tennis Fool
01-23-2004, 12:13 AM
It's seems ESPN now has an anti-copying mode for its articles. There goes my cut-and-paste. Oh well. Here's the link.

Mal's 4th Rd. Picks: Roddick, Agassi, Blake and Grosjean (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus04/news/story?id=1716797)

Mal's 3rd Rd. Picks (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus04/news/story?id=1714962)

TennisLurker
01-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Escude will destroy Ginepri.

Tennis Fool
01-23-2004, 12:15 AM
One thought of surprise:

I didn't know Enqvist had a winning record over Agassi. Wow, one of the few besides Pete and Marcelo.

Anyway, do you think Thomas could pull the upset?

Leo
01-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Enqvist was always one of Agassi's nemeses, much like Kucera, and Sampras and Rios, as you mentioned, TF. I think he could take a set, possibly two, but I doubt he has the physical endurance/mental strength/confidence/good form right now to take out the A-Train.

Ginepri a sure bet? Oh Mal, what are you thinking? Escude is definitely the favorite in that match.

Ma. Estefania
01-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Ginepri over Escudé? No way....Escudé was the one who took out Soderling, who was playing very good....and come on, it's Ginepri...

I hope Thomas can pull out an upset, but it's hard....

TennisLurker
01-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Enqvist last year was ranked outside of the top 100 I think and he defeated Agassi in Scottsdale (Agassi had won the Australian Open three weeks before and was palying amazing, but lost anyway).

It should be a good match.I hope Thomas will upset Andre, Enqvist must be very motivated, probably this will be his last year and he may want to beat Andre one last time.

Havok
01-23-2004, 01:09 AM
Andre was injured in that scottsdale match btw. but it still should be a good match

MisterQ
01-23-2004, 01:26 AM
I agree, Mal was a little brave if he picks Ginepri as a sure bet over Escude. Who was the only person to take a set off Andre at last year tournament?...

Fumus
01-23-2004, 01:32 AM
hmmm....Robbi beating Escude, could happen but not what we like to call likely. If I was a betting man, I would pick Escude..

Tennis Fool
01-23-2004, 02:17 AM
Marat down 2 sets to 1 to Todd :o

J. Corwin
01-23-2004, 03:53 AM
Doesn't Mal end up jinxing players?

Tennis Fool
01-23-2004, 03:59 AM
He used to. Gotten better with time.

Oaf pulled out the win, in typical Oaf style.

Tennis Fool
01-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Well you guys...

Ginepri shovelling Escude 5/1 at the moment...

WyverN
01-23-2004, 04:30 AM
And I think it will continue, Ginepri is in excellent form since getting trounced by Roddick

Agassi should win in straights

Scotso
01-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Go Ginepri! :D

Make these guys eat some crow.

Scotso
01-23-2004, 05:10 AM
6-2 6-3 4-2 Ginepri :D

WyverN
01-23-2004, 05:10 AM
Looks like Mal was spot on
and leo was way off ;)

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 05:25 AM
Nice win Robby :yeah:

J. Corwin
01-23-2004, 08:39 AM
impressive win by Robby :)

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Gee, thanks for nothing Escude. Now we get to see Robby rub his 5 brain cells together for another round. :p

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Go Ginepri! :D

Make these guys eat some crow.
I didn't think Ginepri would win either. Frankly, he doesn't impress me in the least. Good win for him, though, and a nice result overall. It should end in the next round, but stranger things have happened. Like him winning today, for example.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh by judging him as a dolt based on a five minute interview. But really... he was struggling to put words into sentences! It was really quite something. Perhaps he's just camera shy? Let's hope so.

WyverN
01-23-2004, 10:14 AM
But when has being intelligent have anything to do with tennis ability?

I get a headache from reading Jennifer Capriati interviews

J. Corwin
01-23-2004, 10:43 AM
And Mal's picks have all won easily...

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 10:44 AM
But when has being intelligent have anything to do with tennis ability?

I get a headache from reading Jennifer Capriati interviews
True, that.

But if ESPN is going to make me listen to Robby Ginepri talk for 5 minutes, the least they could do is not have him do in the same hour that James Blake did. Way to make the guy looking even lower below average than he already is!

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Ferrero strikes me as a bit of a dolt too, but I like to blame this on his English... until Spanish speakers tell me that it's not just his English ;) Then I decide that it doesn't *really* matter. I don't see him in interview all that often anyways.

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 02:56 PM
OMG Rebecca, I thought the same thing about Robby... they were like "you were very businesslike out there but you must be happy to be in your first R16" and he was like "uh....yah sure of course."

like helloooooooooo this is a big deal buddy!!

And James is so eloquent. So yeah, he made Robby look even stupider lol

mishar
01-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Robby is a dolt, but he is a real player. I don't know why everyone in here dismissed him so quickly. He has a lot of game.

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 04:42 PM
not everyone did. I thought Robby would win and was glad that he did win. But if he wants to make the "big time" he's gotta learn how to handle himself in interviews a little better ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Robby is a dolt, but he is a real player. I don't know why everyone in here dismissed him so quickly. He has a lot of game.
Perhaps I just haven't had a good look at him playing. I've only seen him a couple times. He wasn't terrible by any means... I just didn't think "wow, now THAT is a player I'm going to keep my eye on!". I sort of saw him as a Schuettler-type, but not quite as good.

The only times I've seen him play were against Todd Martin at the USO and the end of his match against Nestor in Montreal. Maybe not the best matches to judge him on ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 05:24 PM
OMG Rebecca, I thought the same thing about Robby... they were like "you were very businesslike out there but you must be happy to be in your first R16" and he was like "uh....yah sure of course."

like helloooooooooo this is a big deal buddy!!

And James is so eloquent. So yeah, he made Robby look even stupider lol
My jaw was slack from the moment he opened his mouth through to the end of the segment.

Blake on the other hand, is extremely articulate and well spoken. Which didn't help Ginepri's case at all, as we've noted.

tangerine_dream
01-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Gee, thanks for nothing Escude. Now we get to see Robby rub his 5 brain cells together for another round. :p

:lol:

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 05:36 PM
From what they've shown of Robby here at the AO, he's playing quite well Rebecca. He's very fast, good at the net, has a decent serve. I don't watch him and go "wow :eek: " or anything, but he's good and only 21 so will likely get better.

Though it's not like he came out of nowhere, he was a top junior too.

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 05:48 PM
From what they've shown of Robby here at the AO, he's playing quite well Rebecca. He's very fast, good at the net, has a decent serve. I don't watch him and go "wow :eek: " or anything, but he's good and only 21 so will likely get better.

Though it's not like he came out of nowhere, he was a top junior too.
Yeah, I knew he was okay in Juniors. he made the US boys final the same year that Andy won. I didn't think that he was complete SUCK or anything. I just haven't found him all that inspiring so far.

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 06:40 PM
yea.. no I wouldn't say he's inspiring at all

Scotso
01-23-2004, 07:14 PM
I think he's just camera shy.

star
01-23-2004, 07:15 PM
not everyone did. I thought Robby would win and was glad that he did win. But if he wants to make the "big time" he's gotta learn how to handle himself in interviews a little better ;)

Why? what did he do?

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 07:15 PM
nothing.... that's what he did lol... just very blah like "oh ok great yay for me" very monotonous and unenergetic

sigmagirl91
01-23-2004, 07:16 PM
:haha:

So, Escude only had 2 working?

star
01-23-2004, 07:19 PM
I don't really warm up to Ginepri.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of him or maybe it is the sleevless shirt. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 07:21 PM
I think he's just camera shy.
Let's hope so ;)

sigmagirl91
01-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Robby actually surprised me. Being from Georgia like he is, he didn't come on TV with some irritating Southern twang. Not that I am against a Southern accent, because I am from the South myself, but I was actually surprised.....

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 07:22 PM
:haha:

So, Escude only had 2 working?
I'm pretty sure that Escude's grip on the English language is better than Ginepri's ;)

It doesn't take an IQ of 150 to play tennis, in case you hadn't noticed ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Robby actually surprised me. Being from Georgia like he is, he didn't come on TV with some irritating Southern twang. Not that I am against a Southern accent, because I am from the South myself, but I was actually surprised.....
He had a bit of an accent to me, but I'm from Ontario, and can't distinguish between the different southern accents (or lack there of).

propi
01-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Becca I'm afraid to say that JCF can truly blame his English, when talking in Spanish he speaks well, of course, not like a Cervantes winner but it's fine

sigmagirl91
01-23-2004, 07:25 PM
I am pretty sure. Even though he didn't speak with that dreaded Southern twang, he still has miles to go. Robby, darling, you need some English lessons. "Uh huh" and "yeah" don't qualify as "articulate English". :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
01-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Becca I'm afraid to say that JCF can truly blame his English, when talking in Spanish he speaks well, of course, not like a Cervantes winner but it's fine
Glad to hear it! I don't think that his English is bad, by the way. But he obviously doesn't speak at the same level as a fluent English speaker at the same age... that is all that I meant.

The person who told me otherwise doesn't like him, so meh. Thanks for clarifying ;)

I still wouldn't ahve minded if he was a dolt, though. :D

sigmagirl91
01-23-2004, 07:30 PM
I can see where speaking English would be a prob. for Ferrero, but Ginepri? C'mon, you all, surely you jest...

star
01-23-2004, 07:41 PM

Georgia has some really nice accents. :)

I never knew that he was a poor interview. My usual experience with men from the south is that they are great talkers and story tellers.

Is Ginepri from Georgia or did he go to school there?

See? I really know nothing about the guy. :)

sigmagirl91
01-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Georgia has some really nice accents. :)

I never knew that he was a poor interview. My usual experience with men from the south is that they are great talkers and story tellers.

Is Ginepri from Georgia or did he go to school there?

See? I really know nothing about the guy. :)

I heard the commentators say that he was from Georgia.

propi
01-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear it! I don't think that his English is bad, by the way. But he obviously doesn't speak at the same level as a fluent English speaker at the same age... that is all that I meant.

The person who told me otherwise doesn't like him, so meh. Thanks for clarifying ;)

Not bad English but of course he has all the defeats we all have here... if any of you native speakers come here :crazy: ;)

star
01-23-2004, 07:58 PM
:hatoff: to all the guys on the tour that do interviews in a foreign language. It's not so easy.

sigmagirl91
01-23-2004, 08:00 PM
:hatoff: to all the guys on the tour that do interviews in a foreign language. It's not so easy.

I totally agree with you. It HAS to be hard.

Fumus
01-23-2004, 09:34 PM

Becca are you the queen of the forum? Where's your kingdom?

christinaE
01-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Perhaps Robby has not yet been to the ATP university.

J. Corwin
01-23-2004, 10:13 PM
I thought Robby just didn't feel like talking much. But I must have given him too much credit. ;)

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Mal's picks are conspicuously absent from the bottom half of the draw. Wonder why? Because there are no AMERICANS? :(

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Mal's picks are conspicuously absent from the bottom half of the draw. Wonder why? Because there are no AMERICANS? :(
That's disgraceful, especially when you consider that the bottom half of the draw is far more interesting. Of course, I could just think that because pretty much everybody I like is in the bottom half :)

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 01:30 AM
This is the reason I don't ever bother with the espn site, unless I'm extremely bored and have run out of other ideas.

Same with their coverage.

I refuse to support those idiots anymore than I have to, you see ;)

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 01:37 AM

His article was published on the 21st.... did they even know the 3rd round matches for the bottom half on Wednesday? No, they couldn't have.. the bottom half 2nd rnd matches didn't take place til Thursday the 22nd (Australia time).... not that I like defending Mal, but yeah.

sigmagirl91
01-24-2004, 01:39 AM
Oh, well, bunk, we can only hope that is the reason.

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 01:41 AM
Yes, but he didn't post anything for today prior to the bottom half being played...

sigmagirl91
01-24-2004, 01:42 AM
That is biased.........

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 01:45 AM
Well... first of all it's Mal. that should be enough said.

Second of all it's ESPN. THAT should be enough said.

Really... these things shouldn't be surprising anyone anymore ;) :shrug:

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 01:48 AM
His article was published on the 21st.... did they even know the 3rd round matches for the bottom half on Wednesday? No, they couldn't have.. the bottom half 2nd rnd matches didn't take place til Thursday the 22nd (Australia time).... not that I like defending Mal, but yeah.
Yes, we get it. ESPN is an American network, and can thus, never do wrong.

Right? ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 01:48 AM
Well... first of all it's Mal. that should be enough said.

Second of all it's ESPN. THAT should be enough said.

Really... these things shouldn't be surprising anyone anymore ;) :shrug:
Ignore my last post, then ;)

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 01:51 AM
Bunk: No "bunking" Mal. Obviously it's a top corporate decision at ESPN.

If it were Mal showing bias, he'd pick Todd Martin over @#$#! Safin based squarely on the Miami car incident...

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 01:55 AM
lol.... I mean it's disappointing but we're all like broken records on the board. I mean probably every one of us has written a nasty email to them, they "explained" it on that tennis week article and it's still pretty crappy so it's just the way it is :( Whether it's Mal or someone above him making decisions it's still the way it is unfortunately :o

propi
01-24-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm sure he and all the US media will talk now about the all court, young and talented Spanish Nadal.. :rolleyes:

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Hmmm...Mal seems a bit optimistic about this Blake/Safin matchup but so far this tournament he's been spot on...

Conchon
01-24-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm amused at Mal's inconsistency. He lists the things Blake should do in order not to lose, but then picks Blake when he admits the favorite is Safin. :confused:

star
01-24-2004, 03:29 PM
I think the Blake in 5 prediction is not very realistic. If it goes to five sets, I would favor Safin to win. To me Blake has to win in four or not at all. IMO, it will be not at all.

Bubble
01-24-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm amused at Mal's inconsistency. He lists the things Blake should do in order not to lose, but then picks Blake when he admits the favorite is Safin. :confused:

I think he is making such prediction to encourage/motivate Blake to beat Safin... :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 04:36 PM
James seems like a different player this year. He REALLY wants to make his first GS QF, I wouldn't put anything past him right now the way he is playing. That said, it'll be really tough for him.

tangerine_dream
01-24-2004, 06:00 PM
James seems like a different player this year. He REALLY wants to make his first GS QF, I wouldn't put anything past him right now the way he is playing. That said, it'll be really tough for him.

I think chopping off his dreads was probably the best career move he could make this year because all of a sudden he's playing GREAT! Now he's no longer distracted by his fabulous hair. ;)

Vass
01-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Does this idiot review only American guys?
Although I'm glad that it's the case.

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Looks like Mal was spot on
and leo was way off ;)

*cough* Hewitt slaughtered Nadal *cough* ;)

And, unlike some other posters, I didn't say that Escude would destroy Ginepri, I merely stated that he was the favorite.

Robby certainly played well (his returns and apssers are pretty awesome), but Nicholas didn't put up that great of an effort (what a surprise :rolleyes: ). Some balls that went by Escde for "winners" could have been reached if the Frenchman tried a bit harder.

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Ferrero strikes me as a bit of a dolt too, but I like to blame this on his English... until Spanish speakers tell me that it's not just his English ;) Then I decide that it doesn't *really* matter. I don't see him in interview all that often anyways.

Wertheim called Ferrero the "John Nash" of the tennis world, or something like that. ;) But I guess ability with numbers makes no difference whatsoever in language.

And, frankly, I'm impressed with anyone who can speak two languages. I've been taking French classes for year but could never became fluent enough to give a tennis interview, for example. David, Juan Carlos, Guillermo etc. may not speak the best English, but its still a language foreign to their own, and they handle it relatively well.

Haha, I thought the same about Robby for his interview. I was rooting for him to say something intelligent, but, alas, he did not come close. But he was probably just camera shy. I'd be stumbling over word as well. What was worse was that he seemed so monotonous and uninterested, as bunk said. I didn't see him smile once after the win, and it was a really good one, too. :confused:

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:39 PM
I heard the commentators say that he was from Georgia.

Isn't he from Virginia? No, maybe that's Vahaly. I've mixed them up ever since reading that TW article on both of them last summer. I'd say that Brian is probably the smarter of the two, since he actually went to college and all, but it's pretty clear who's better on the court.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Vahaly and Ginepri are both from Georgia. but Vahaly went to UVA for college (only man in top 100 with college degree, I might add.).

Leo
01-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Vahaly and Ginepri are both from Georgia. but Vahaly went to UVA for college (only man in top 100 with college degree, I might add.).

Well, there you go. Thanks for the clarification.

Didn't Todd Martin go to college as well? Or is he not in the Top 100 anymore? :eek:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:41 PM
I dunno, I'll go do some research ;)

Leo
01-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Awwww, you're too sweet. :kiss: Gotta love college students for their work ethic. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Todd's currently ranked 66 (Vahaly 84 if you were curious).... that could go up b/c he didn't play AO last year.

According to his bio at the ATP site, he only played tennis for 2 yrs at NorthWestern - maybe that means he didn't graduate. Lots of the guys start at college and then turn pro - the Bryans, James, etc...hard to find out about Todd b/c there are pretty much no websites for him lol. All I know is that I've read a bunch of places that Brian is the only one with a degree in the top 100. That could totally be based on bad facts though lol...

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Awwww, you're too sweet. :kiss: Gotta love college students for their work ethic. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

too bad I'm working on this and not the many hundreds of pages of reading I have to do for next week ;)

But this is soooooo much more interesting than modern theories of sociology of law or policy analysis or even film history (though that is actually pretty interesting).

Back to the topic..... I just want to see James put up a fight. He's been working so hard the past few years, especially this past off-season and I'd love to see that pay off for him with his first Slam QF.

And I dunno, it's wrong of Mal to just write articles when Americans are playing, I agree. But as an American tennis fan who supports all American players, I think it's pretty damn cool that in the top half of the draw, every match in R16 has an American in it and I'd like nothing more than to see two all-American QFs and an all-American SF

Leo
01-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Oh yep, I guess you're right. Todd only was at college for 2 years, and unless it was one of those funky colleges that requires just 2 years before graduation, he didn't graduate as Vahaly did. But I do remember Jim talking about Todd as being one of the very best college players.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Northwestern a junior college??? Leo you're just full of silliness today ;)

NWU is a consistent top 20 school.... our Grandpa Toddy is a brainiac :p

Leo
01-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Oh well, film history doesn't seem too bad. Neither does law/polic analysis, IMO.

Anyway, James/Marat should be great. I'm glad we will get to see this match on ESPN tomorrow during the tape delayed portion. Since there is an American in it and all, I'm pretty sure they won't change their coverage to show Agassi, Roddick, or Davenport again. I just hope this match doesn't turn out to be an over-hyped fluke like Dent/Roddick and Enqvist/Agassi were.

Leo
01-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Northwestern a junior college??? Leo you're just full of silliness today ;)

NWU is a consistent top 20 school.... our Grandpa Toddy is a brainiac :p

Oh, you said Northwestern?

*reads back to check*

Ooops, you're right. I am not reading carefully today. So it's official, Todd is not a college graduate, leaving Vahaly as the only player in the Top 100 with a degree. Too bad he'll probably be dropping out of the Top 100 after Indian Wells. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 08:59 PM
No, really actually none of them are that bad. But I'd still rather talk about tennis than do it :p

I hope so too. According to ESPN's published schedule (which was accurate til today when they showed us Venus for the 3rd time), their shorter live coverage tonight (only 10-12:30 eastern) will be Andre/Paradon. Tomorrow afternoon on ESPN2 it's from noon-3pm eastern and the published schedule says Andy/Sjeng. I don't see that match taking 3 hours, though, so for crying out loud I would hope they will show some other match too.

LOL Leo gotta get those eyes checked ;)

and poor Brian... the kid just keeps plugging along not really having good results. gotta live in the shadow of all his buddies. But at least he has an education when he gives up on tennis... LOL

the cat
01-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I predict Safin will beat Blake in 4 sets. And the first set is crucial for Marat.

Udachi Marat! :D

Leo
01-24-2004, 09:28 PM
I hope so too. According to ESPN's published schedule (which was accurate til today when they showed us Venus for the 3rd time), their shorter live coverage tonight (only 10-12:30 eastern) will be Andre/Paradon. Tomorrow afternoon on ESPN2 it's from noon-3pm eastern and the published schedule says Andy/Sjeng. I don't see that match taking 3 hours, though, so for crying out loud I would hope they will show some other match too.

and poor Brian... the kid just keeps plugging along not really having good results. gotta live in the shadow of all his buddies. But at least he has an education when he gives up on tennis... LOL

Oh no! I thought both Andre and Andy would be shown during the live portion; I didn't know that it was shortened tonight (WTF is up with that?)! That means we probably won't see more than a set of Safin/Blake. :fiery: Come on, can't we go one day without seeing Roddick? Not even to show another American youngster in what should be a much more compelling match?! I mean, we all know that Sjeng is going to get thrashed. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just hope Molik can challenge (but lose to) Amelie, so then ESPN will be forced to show Lindsay/Vera (should be a great battle) before Andre comes on court. Go Alicia! :D

And, about Brian, I don't really like the guy. Last year someone I know online saw him at a tournament and she said that he was on the phone, calling an escort service. :eek: :o Although, it might not be true since this person really hates Vahaly.

Leo
01-24-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm spending way too much of my life on this board. I shall take a break and pursue other activities, like lying on my ass and eating shit. Bye bunkie. :wavey:

J. Corwin
01-24-2004, 09:49 PM
I think Mal just WANTS James to beat Marat, given the car incident. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 09:53 PM
bye Leo see ya later :wavey:

and Jace.... what car incident????

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Oh no! I thought both Andre and Andy would be shown during the live portion; I didn't know that it was shortened tonight (WTF is up with that?)! That means we probably won't see more than a set of Safin/Blake. :fiery: Come on, can't we go one day without seeing Roddick? Not even to show another American youngster in what should be a much more compelling match?! I mean, we all know that Sjeng is going to get thrashed. :rolleyes:

Agreed on all accounts *sigh*

J. Corwin
01-24-2004, 10:11 PM
and Jace.... what car incident????

I don't remember clearly what happened. I think it was the Mercedes Benz Cup in LA? Marat said (or insinuated) something along the lines of "fucking his wife". I may be way off...I only read about this a long while ago.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 10:32 PM
ummmm whoa lol

undomiele
01-24-2004, 11:21 PM
Brian Vahaly struck me as a nice guy. He's pretty smart too. We had actually done an econ project together at UVa and I didnt even know till later that he was this big tennis player. I saw an article about him with a pic and thats when I was like "wait a minute! I know this guy!" LOL. Despite not being that great of a tennis player you guys have to remember that he's already made $400,000 in the 2 years he's been out of school. He's somewhat of a star, people root for him, he travels the world, he's pals with Andy Roddick, he makes some good dough AND he has a college degree from a good university so that when he retires he won't be as clueless as most other retirees. :P I of course root for him when I can. We did, after all, get an A on that project.... haha :P

So don't feel bad for him guys, though I hear he gets frustrated about his game, which is understandable -- it must suck having to lose all the time-- Im sure his two sports cars and his trips to the Caribbean with Andy provide him with more than enough solace. :)

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 11:24 PM
wow you went to school with him? That rocks :) He's always seemed like a nice kid to me. I like the updates he does on his website. And he's very dedicated to his charity work too, which is always nice to see.

Plus People mag picked him as some beautiful bachelor or something at some point so he should be doing ok ;)

undomiele
01-24-2004, 11:28 PM
I know Bunk I lost my chance!!! I could have had him!!!! ;)

Deboogle!.
01-24-2004, 11:31 PM
awwwwwwwww darn!!! ;)

undomiele
01-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Whatever. Though sometimes I do wonder if he would recognize me if he saw me again.... hehehe

J. Corwin
01-24-2004, 11:43 PM
That's really cool that you knew him!

jmp
01-25-2004, 12:50 AM
I don't know why Mal didn't predict the bottom half of the draw. But, it could have been that it wasn't set, yet. Whether he was tired or rushed, Mal didn't seem to give this prediction much thought. It certainly didn't show in his writing.

Agassi/Paradorn. He just went for Andre like he automatically goes for Todd. In light of the fact that Mal has actually seen the players at the AO that ESPN refuses to show us, he might have mentioned that Paradorn is playing exceptionally well even if he predicts a loss for his in this match up.

Safin/Blake. How can he say that Marat is starting to show his old form and pick James to win in five?!???? James could very well win this. But, Mal made it sound like wishful thinking rather than anything he's seen from James in this tournament.

Grosjean/Ginepri. Another "wishful thinking" write up. But, this time he picks Seb! I like them both a lot. But, I'm looking for Robby to win because he's playing extremely well.

Queen, I really like Robby's muscle game. The first time I paid attention to him he got smacked by Andre at the USO '02. By Indian Wells and Nasdaq, he was going toe to toe with Carlos and Carlos was looking very strong at the beginning of '03. Then Robby went on to win Newport on grass and the year-end Super Set tournament on the west coast.

I knew he didn't speak well or show much emotion from interviews at Newport. It doesn't bother me much because I think he shows his personality on the court. I've seen nice smiles from him when he's won. I think he wants more right now than just a good showing at this tournament. So, he's happy to have won easily over Escude. But, he wants a BIG fish. He wants to make his mark. I like that he's private and keeps to himself. I also like charismatic interviewees like Roger, Marat, Seb, James and Andy. It's part of the individuality that attracts me to tennis.

Tennis Fool
01-25-2004, 08:57 AM
First bad error from Mal :o

jmp
01-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Tennis Fool, he took the "fan" route on that one - the analyst in him just took a vacation. :bolt: