The Best and Worst of the AO so far.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Best and Worst of the AO so far....

sigmagirl91
01-22-2004, 02:53 PM
I am trying desperately to steer things away from such asinine topics such as "who has the biggest dick" and "who has the best body". Clearly, we need something else to talk about when we resort to those topics. So here goes....your best and worst....or mine first....

The Best: Todd Reid vs. Sargis Sargisian. I thought these two were going to pass out on the court, and Fed would get a walkover because he would have no one to play. Alas, Reid moved on-after blowing a two-set lead. Please, Todd, for us, play a more composed game if you expect to do as well against Fed.

The Worst: Any player who accomplished a bagel set yesterday. So boring, so unoriginal.

Deboogle!.
01-22-2004, 02:59 PM
the worst: ESPN :fiery:

sigmagirl91
01-22-2004, 03:00 PM
the worst: ESPN :fiery:

you will get no argument from me there.... :devil:

CooCooCachoo
01-22-2004, 03:35 PM
What's wrong with ESPN? We don't get that here lol :)

I enjoyed watching Volandri against Ferrero, but come on Filippo.. you need to lower the amount of unforced errors!

CooCooCachoo
01-22-2004, 03:35 PM
By the way.. a good idea to get rid of those nasty threads.. :)

Deboogle!.
01-22-2004, 03:38 PM
ESPN just sucks. They aren't showing anything live. They only show American and Australian players, they just really suck ass.

Lee
01-22-2004, 03:41 PM
What's wrong with ESPN? We don't get that here lol :)

The 2 hours TMC documentary turned to a half hour Roddick/Agassi show with cameo appearance of other players.

No real live coverage. The so-called live coverages are about 2 hours late.

On the days Roddick and Agassi played, that's all we would see.

The other days, the American women like Venus, Lindsay, Rubin and throw in some Aussies like Philippoussis.

Last night, the feature matches were Venus vs Douchevina and Federer vs Morrison, the American. And when Morrison didn't put up any fight, ESPN switched to Hewitt vs Kucera.

That sums up the pathetic coverage of ESPN. They boosted there are 600 hours of coverage but we only see a very small part of the Slam.

Lee
01-22-2004, 03:44 PM
One more thing about ESPN coverage. When Roddick or Agassi or American players were winning, no matter how boring and one sided the matches were, ESPN would stick to it. And then, when the ratings dropped, they wonder why!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ma. Estefania
01-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Luckily here in Latin America, ESPN shows exactly what I like = Latin players, and eventually some "important" women's matches.

CooCooCachoo
01-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Wooooo they showed Kucera ;)

Well that sucks! Eurosport, as a multinational tv station, shows a lot of different players. The NOS, a Dutch tv station, showed a lot of matches live a few years ago, but they stopped, unfortunately. We do get a lot of summaries and such, of the favourites and the Dutch players.

tangerine_dream
01-22-2004, 03:58 PM
I agree with sigmagirl and bunk. :bounce:

Best: the Reid vs. Sargisian match. Wow!

Worst: ESPN. Now and forever. :ras:

thanks for starting this thread, sigmagirl. :)

*Ljubica*
01-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Best - undoubtedly that beautiful Australian weather - how refreshing to watch a Grand Slam without "Play has been Suspended due to rain" signs everywhere.

Worst - got to be British Eurosport's TV coverage (or lack of it) - so far today we have seen Tim Henman v Radek Stepanek 3 times - once was enough for goodness sake - why 3 TIMES :devil:

jtipson
01-22-2004, 05:39 PM
And here's the fourth time, Rosie (well highlights thereof)!

*Ljubica*
01-22-2004, 05:44 PM
And here's the fourth time, Rosie (well highlights thereof)!

:devil: :devil: Hmmm - and this time we got the chance to watch him practising without his shirt on :(

virex
01-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Luckily here in Latin America, ESPN shows exactly what I like = Latin players, and eventually some "important" women's matches.

exactly! and here in brazil, there is a channel called "espn brazil" (how original) and they also show some matches...

tangerine_dream
01-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Good to see that it's not just American sports channels that are biased towards certain players. :)

Chloe le Bopper
01-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Do you think that there is a chance ESPN will slime their way around showing Nadal-Hewitt?

If they do, I am NEVER watching their coverage again :p Hell, I have watched 20 minutes in the past week as it is.

Deboogle!.
01-22-2004, 09:40 PM
They've shown all of Lleyton's matches so far so I'm sure they'll show at least some of the match.

Leo
01-22-2004, 09:41 PM
The Best: Todd Reid vs. Sargis Sargisian. I thought these two were going to pass out on the court, and Fed would get a walkover because he would have no one to play. Alas, Reid moved on-after blowing a two-set lead. Please, Todd, for us, play a more composed game if you expect to do as well against Fed.

Sargsian does tend to have thrilling matches at the Slams. I was fortunate enough to watch him at the US Open last year where he almost choked from 3-0 up, before finally winning 7-5 in the 5th, saving a match point along the way. His opponent was battling with cramps while Sarge was battling with his head. This one seemed to be a similar match for Sarge against another young talent, but unfortunately he couldn't pull through this time.

Worst: ESPN coverage. By far.

Second place, for me, goes to Hewitt for letting out a loud "Come on!" after a Kucera doubt fault :rolleyes: Totally uneccessary and disrespectful. Also notable is the Melbourne crowd, or at least the fanatics. Some of them are playful and fun; others are not. Kucera was taunted and teased by people in the crowd in the Hewitt match yesterday, causing him to double fault numerous times (esp. in that horrible final game :o).

Best: All the amazing comebacks from 2 sets to love down. :worship:

Leo
01-22-2004, 09:43 PM
They've shown all of Lleyton's matches so far so I'm sure they'll show at least some of the match.

Yeah, probably some. Hewitt does not have to compete against Roddick, Agassi, and Davenport for coverage, and therefore stands a good chance of being shown. I think they'd definitely show Hewitt/Nadal over Fed/Reid and Ferrero/Johansson.

Deboogle!.
01-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Yea... but Hewitt is much more popular here than either Federer or Ferrero, I'd say.

I just wish some of the coverage was actually live as promised. That's what bothers me more than anything actually.