Tuesday AO report [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tuesday AO report

Experimentee
01-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Nadal def Tabara

Nadal is the real deal, he was so impressive today. It was 6/1 6/2 6/2 but not as close as the score, some of the games Tabara won were struggles where Nadal had break points. Nadal just attacked every single ball viciously, hitting him all from side to side, close to the lines and made lots of winners and few unforced errors. Tabara was made to run around a lot. Nadal has a scary grunt, he grunts like a warrior and its very intimidating. I heard Nadal had a crap serve, but it wasnt bad, not a big serve, but gets the ball into play and places it well. His serves were around 170-180. Tabara couldnt do anything in the face of the onslaught and looked very ordinary out there on court. Nadal is definitely a player of the future, hes much better than his ranking, i'd say he was playing like a top 20 player, but hard to judge since he was only playing Tabara.

Novak def Rochus

Some of you may not know that Ollie is sporting a new haircut now, hes shaved his head completely, a la James Blake. He looks quite cute like this, and getting attention for it, in practice Nico Escude came up to him and felt his head lol. He was practicing with Karlovic and hitting all his serves into the net and getting frustrated. Anyway Ollie was crap in practice and wasnt good on the court either. He made more errors than normal for him, and Novak was his usual consistent self. Ollie was up a break in the 3rd set, but then Novak got it back and went on to take the set and the match 7-5.

Ancic def Sluiter

This match lasted for ages. Ancic didnt seem to be playing his best, most of the time his serve was the only thing keeping him in it. He hit his serve and groundstrokes really hard and came in a lot too. Sluiter seems like an average baseliner, but to be honest I was concentrating more on watching Ancic :drool: Ancic broke at 5-4 for the set in both the 2nd and 4th sets. In the 5th set he had a break, but gave it back, then he broke again and served it out. He had a big smile when he won and pumped his fist and looked really happy. There were loads of Dutchies there to support Sluiter, but they werent making much noise, and it sounded like the Ancic supporters were louder, although there probably werent as many.

Ferreira def Hanescu

I joined this match from the 3rd set and Hanescu had a break and was serving for the set and a two sets to one lead. However he choked, doing two double faults and some errors. The crowd were fully behind Wayne, everyone was just screaming "come on Wayne!" and he lifted his game, took it to the TB and won it easily. He was getting really pumped up at this stage, being lifted by the energy of the crowd. He broke early in the 4th set, and then rolled through it 6-1.

Johansson def Popp

I didnt watch much but those who did think Joachim is definitely a player of the future. He has a very big game and is extremely talented and wouldnt be surprised if he caused a few upsets in this tournament or elsewhere.

Chloe le Bopper
01-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the report :)

I heard Nadal had a crap serve, but it wasnt bad, not a big serve, but gets the ball into play and places it well. His serves were around 170-180.

He's apparently worked on his serve quite a bit over the break, and is definately getting more mileage out of it then he was at Wimbledon.

jmp
01-23-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the great report, Experimentee! :D :D