Experience, Talent & Skills....which is the most important??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Experience, Talent & Skills....which is the most important???

oxy
01-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Experience, talent & skills...which is the most important for winning a match and becoming a top player???

Deboogle!.
01-22-2004, 02:37 PM
I think you've gotta have all three.

sigmagirl91
01-22-2004, 02:39 PM
All three, plus determination. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you have no determination or courage to get out of tough spots, then you won't win.

CmonAussie
01-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Pure Guts, balls, grit, fire-in-the-belly, fight, the will to live(until next round)--->ofcourse all this is affected by Confidence; so I believe that you put that combination together ie. Gutsy effort& confidence that you can actually pull it off*#* well that makes a damn good player!
>>Look at Borg, Connors, Wilander, Courier, Chang & Hewitt as prime examples!!

sigmagirl91
01-22-2004, 02:46 PM
It's nice to know, cmon, that great minds do think alike.
Thanks for driving the point home.

CmonAussie
01-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Cheers & Thanks Mate sigmagirl...
Yeah usually I just sit back & read others opinions because it's fun to see all the arguments/debate but then i get frustrated & feel the necessity to voice my own two bob..!
All I can say& gather from your posts is that you're a God Damn genious when it comes to expressing thoughtful opinions/ideas....

BTW~ Ferrero is developing into a great fighter too; though he's lost too many 5^setters i believe he's on the verge of turning those tough losses into gutsy wins.
>>The Hewitt vs Ferrero rivalry is my favourite among the young generation. They've only played 7times but almost all of them were big matches: Davis Cup Final(twice),TMC Final,FO(QF) & USO(QF)....so it's got the makings of being the Rivalry fans have been waiting for post Agassi/Sampras.

Deboogle!.
01-22-2004, 03:04 PM
oh yea Ferrero is a great fighter!

oxy
01-22-2004, 03:11 PM
oh yea Ferrero is a great fighter!

i feel that he improves every year...last year his serves were better, this year he is showing that he is mentally better and learning from past losses....what surprises me is that he is volleying more, thou not as good yet but he certainly is trying more and are getting better....as long as he has no major injuries...i believe he can keep on improving and fighting!!!

sigmagirl91
01-22-2004, 03:12 PM
thanks, cmon. What I've seen from Ferrero is not exactly "fighter" material. He has the shots, but what about if he's two sets down and damn near out? Could he summon his experience and skill to get him out? Does he have the mental fortitude to?

oxy
01-22-2004, 03:18 PM
hewitt is a very very very good fighter thou i don't really fancy him...i like the way he fights when he is down...if only ferrero n federer could be like him.

Deboogle!.
01-22-2004, 03:20 PM
sigmagirl... I don't think Juan Carlos is quite at that level yet. I think most of the guys you see who are capable of such a thing (Hewitt, Roddick, Sampras, Agassi, Todd Martin, etc) were born with it to some extent. Yes they improve as they age and mature but they all had that fighting spirit when they were young and new on the tour. I'm sure Juan Carlos will get better, I expect all these young guys to keep getting better :)

CmonAussie
01-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Ferrero's ability to make a good fight when he's down and out were demonstrated best at Masters Cup Final^ Shanghai....
Score 7-5,7-5,2-6,2-6,6-4 {Hewitt escaped with victory},.
However that match made me take notice of Ferrero more;1st because it wasn't played on clay;2nd because he came back from 2-sets to love down against the No.1(at the time)& even went up a break of service twice in final set(Mosquito led 4-2 in 5th).....The fact that Ferrero lost his nerve & Lleyton played some magic at the right time was unfortunate for JC but showed the world that he was going after No.1;precisely what he did in 03! Ferrero still losing those 5^setters but again i was surprised that he played so well on grass in DC final>> if he'd won that 4th Set tiebreak against Hewitt then Spain may have been the champions....
Needless to say I was happy with the end result.
Just worry that Ferrero will get his revenge before too long& beat Lleyton or Scud in a major final{perhaps another 5-setter}.