Phillippoussis is looking good!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Phillippoussis is looking good!!!

henree
01-21-2004, 08:07 AM
In his match today he played a very aggressive game. His footwork and speed is the best I have ever seen him play. Apparently because of his weight loss. He is looking very thin. Especially around the face. Mark is my dark horse to win this tournament if he can keep up the level he has been playing at. Is it just me or are his grunts extremely annoying. It is hard to describe but Phillippoussis makes this sound whenever he hits the ball. I hate it. Mainly because I always listen at the sound the ball makes when it makes contact with the racket. It is a good way of telling how flat or cleanly the player can hit the ball.
Other rambilings
Roddick has been playing a very understated game lately. He hasn't been as aggressive with the forehand as usual. His footwork is much improved. He seems to be more light on his feet and overall he seems to be playing a more patient game.
One last thing. Is it just me or does this group have too many polls and not enough discussion??? LOL

Aurora
01-21-2004, 08:16 AM
Yep, Mark has this grunt, especially if he's getting tired; it can be real annoying but mostly I think it's not that bad. Guga OTH, drives me crazy!!
So he's lost some weight? Endurance would be the key: to last in a gruelling match and lasting several matches, Phillippoussis got something to prove on that point in Australia. his quarter is pretty good, and -looking further- the opponent from the other quarter can be worn out (could also be a Fed-Ex on a Wimby roll).

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 10:10 AM
With the support of the Australian crowd, I am sure Philippoussis could go a long way on this surface. Not all the way, though. But he has the talent, the serve and the personality to do well :)

WyverN
01-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Mark has a tendency to follow up tremendous form with a lacklustre match so I wouldn't be surprised if he loses in the next round unless he is playing a complete donkey. Who is his next opponent?

tennisvideos
01-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Mark played a brilliant match to beat Johansson. Would love to see him do well here, and there is no reason why not. He has proven he can win big matches on slow surfaces (Davis Cup Finals in France 1999 when he won both singles), so he could surprise many people here.

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Well, Wyver, he is not playing a complete donkey. He is actually playing a clown: Fabrice Santoro. And Santoro is a player who can definitely take on hardhitters. Looks like a fun match, but I expect Mark to go through in four.

ILR
01-21-2004, 01:30 PM
His grunt is sexy ;) anyway, I only managed to catch the last set and it looked like he was hitting the ball very well and the commentators were praising him about the previous 2 sets aswell. From what I saw he was playing very well and looked confident :)

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 01:49 PM
lol I feel sorry for you, having missed all the grunting in the earlier sets :p

ILR
01-21-2004, 02:30 PM
lol I feel sorry for you, having missed all the grunting in the earlier sets :p

:lol: Yep, I feel sorry for myself too lol. Now if only I had dragged myself out of bed :o (Yes I do know it wasn't on that early but I didn't have to be up until 11:30 :p)

Anyway I will watch all of his match tonight v Santoro even if it means killing for the remote.

sigmagirl91
01-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Mark is sexy, period.

ILR
01-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Mark is sexy, period.

I'll go with that ;)

Snoopy_Girl
01-21-2004, 05:42 PM
*Agrees* ;)

And he did look very good out there. Certainly the second set, just seemed like he couldn't miss. All those volleys and the running at the baseline. It's been a long time ago since I saw a match of him in which he could do both!

And I also have to agree with CooCooCachoo.... He might not go all the way, but with the support of the Aussie crowd and a serve like that (as long as it won't let him down, cuz to be honest, then his game just totally falls apart) I can see him in the quarters.

Aurora
01-21-2004, 05:58 PM
as long as we're running ahead, a semi against Ferrero isn't that impossible seeing the trouble he has with big servers. his serve's gotta be spot on and the rallies short though. could be an interesting one.
*agreeing btw whole-heartedly*

jmp
01-21-2004, 07:51 PM
:wavey: Welcome to the board, henree! Yes, Mark looked really good against Johanssen(sp). Johanssen looked good for such a long lay off as well. I agree with everyone about Mark's weight loss, foot speed, and foot work, especially in the second set as Snoopy_Girl pointed out. I'm not looking at him as a dark horse for this race. But, I'd be really happy if he took the title. My dark horse picks are Nalbandian, Safin, Blake, or Ginepri in no particular order.

EDIT TO ADD: Another dark horse - Dent. Grunts. I didn't notice. I like to listen to the ball against the raquet when I watch tennis, too. That's why I'm torn between muting commentators and listening to the ball sometimes. :D I thought that Mark hit a heavy, clean ball from what I heard. I think that after Monica Seles I just started ignoring the grunts, except Sharapova *cringe*. :D :D

Having ESPN, I've been able to view Andy ad nauseum. So, I'd have to agree with you about his understated, patient game. I think it's a sign of maturity, security and confidence with being number one in the world, and the Gilbert influence. He'll really need a patient game going into the clay court season. I'm glad he's pulling up on the FH because every FH doesn't need to be a heat seeking missile. The test for Andy will be how his demeanor holds when he encounters any real resistance in a match.

There are a lot of polls on this board. But, there are great discussions as well and a lot of knowledgeable, impassioned tennis fans. I like the laid back, tolerant atmosphere here. I just jump in when the topic interests me. You'll pick up on cycles after a while. I hope you have fun here. :D