This is why they should have a translator at the Aussie Open... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

This is why they should have a translator at the Aussie Open...

Gandalf
01-20-2004, 11:14 AM
THE MODERATOR: English questions first. First question, please.

Q. Who were your heroes growing up? What did you try and learn from them, and what can youngsters learn from your game?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, I don't think I am play really good today, but little difficult. It's windy out there.

I just try to win the first match, so that's very important. Win in three sets is not bad.

tennischick
01-20-2004, 11:21 AM
ja ja ja...

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 12:17 PM
lol.. David, you are forgiven :)

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:22 PM
LOL, I think they do offer translators (I know someone who volunteers in that role!) but maybe the players aren't expecting strine!

maratski
01-20-2004, 12:35 PM
:haha:

lizabeth..*
01-20-2004, 12:38 PM
ROTF :lol:

*Ljubica*
01-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Ah bless - I love him :hearts:

TennisLurker
01-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Lol!!

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Ah bless - I love him

Even with the scary hair, Rosie? ;)

Ma. Estefania
01-20-2004, 05:39 PM

Scary? No way....he looks great :angel:

tangerine_dream
01-20-2004, 05:43 PM
:lol: :rolls:

And get a haircut David!

*Ljubica*
01-20-2004, 05:44 PM

Yes CooCooCachoo - even then! I don't really care what he does with his hair , - I love David whatever he does :) :)

Havok
01-20-2004, 05:55 PM
:haha: but he seriously needs a hair cut. if he dries his hair, we have another case of a mop head/mullet hair style:scared:

*Ljubica*
01-20-2004, 06:02 PM
:haha: but he seriously needs a hair cut. if he dries his hair, we have another case of a mop head/mullet hair style:scared:

Good thing I just love longer hair on men though Naldo :) - I just don't think shaved heads or short hair suits anyone, - just my opinion of course!

Hispanica
01-21-2004, 03:33 AM
Every tournament should get translators.. i realized tha with French Open and the transaltion of the speech after the final... it's amazing how french can change what the players said...

In his final against kuerten, Alex told that he was going to stop talking after the way the public behaved and the translator said something like "I like being here" or somethin like that... very very bad one

Leo
01-21-2004, 03:46 AM
Ferrero also seemed a bit lost with one or two of his questions.

At some tournaments they do have translators, though.

sigmagirl91
01-21-2004, 11:55 AM
OK, Gandalf, did you check your spelling BEFORE you posted this thread, because, last time I checked, it's "translator", with an "n", not "traslator". Second, number1kim, what the hell is "strine"? Is that a word? :mad:

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Sigma ;) They do check spelling at the AO, so that is not what Gandalf was on about ;) And 'strine'? I have no idea either lol

sigmagirl91
01-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Sigma ;) They do check spelling at the AO, so that is not what Gandalf was on about ;) And 'strine'? I have no idea either lol

What I was getting at, was if Gandalf was going to make fun of someone's use or command of the English language, at least he or she COULD have the spelling issue taken care of-damn. How did the spell checker miss THAT one?

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 02:16 PM
I know what you meant Sigma.. Really I do :)

sigmagirl91
01-21-2004, 02:25 PM
I knew you did, coo. BTW, I like your screen name. Very unique.... :)

Gandalf
01-21-2004, 06:20 PM
OK, Gandalf, did you check your spelling BEFORE you posted this thread, because, last time I checked, it's "translator", with an "n", not "traslator". :mad:

Oops...sorry, it's TRANSLATOR :o

sigmagirl, I'm not making fun AT Nalbandian- he's there as a tennis player and has no obligation at all to have a good English. But it's funny that he ends up answering a completely different question-it's like 'Ask me what you want and I'll answer what I please' ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-21-2004, 06:26 PM
I thought it was sort of amusing. Just like it'd be amusing if I was forced to answer questions in Spanish!

His English isn't bad. It's just that he replied to a question they didn't ask ;)

Via
01-21-2004, 08:57 PM
looks like david had already prepared a 'first answer', and it didn't really matter what the 'first question' would be.... lol

it's up to the players whether they want translators to help. and i guess there would be a spanish session afterwards...

sigmagirl91
01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Part of the problem may have been that David did not understand the first question.
The other part of the problem may be the tendency of reporters whose first language is English to talk too fast, or use words and phrases that may be over that player's head. Maybe a translator IS needed in that instance. Reporters need to be mindful of those things, and tailor their approach accordingly. :rolleyes:

Ma. Estefania
01-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Don't ask the journalists too much, I think that they've asked David in ALL his last interviews the same question: "How is the wrist?"... :rolleyes:

Tennis Fool
01-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Ha Ha.

JC does the same thing, although he doesn't completely miss the question :p

Tennis Fool
01-21-2004, 11:17 PM
At least Marat says, "can you say, one more time?"

Chloe le Bopper
01-22-2004, 12:42 AM
At least Marat says, "can you say, one more time?"
Marat's english is quite good, though...

I imagine that, as already suggested, David had his answer prepared already. That, or he was waiting for the usual first question about how the match was, blah.

*Ljubica*
01-22-2004, 02:36 AM
David's English is excellent - I've spoken to him many times, but it must be a very different thing to have a normal conversation with one person, as opposed to facing a barage of questions and flashing cameras etc in a Press conference situation. My Spanish is average (very average!) and I know I couldn't do it! And I guess they probably do have their answers already prepared - even I do that in my job as I face the public a lot and have to answer the same questions over and over again. In my case it usually means I can say one thing while thinking about something else much more interesting..............maybe David was doing the same :)

MisterQ
01-22-2004, 02:40 AM
Yes, but he probably has the words "I love you Rosie" and "I want you Rosie" memorized by now. ;)

Action Jackson
01-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Marat and David speak very good English, much better than Coria or Ferrero ( his is improving though) and it's not easy with the translations. I knew of an instance when Thierry Henry answered a question in French, but he told the translator her translation was totally wrong and that was not what he said.

Just like French is international language of cycling, English is the main language of the tennis world.

sigmagirl91
01-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Marat and David speak very good English, much better than Coria or Ferrero ( his is improving though) and it's not easy with the translations. I knew of an instance when Thierry Henry answered a question in French, but he told the translator her translation was totally wrong and that was not what he said.

Just like French is international language of cycling, English is the main language of the tennis world.

I heard that Coria doesn't speak very much English. Hell, if you want to go back to someone whose English is not so great, think about Ivanisevic. He used to have me cracking up with some of the things he used to say....

*Ljubica*
01-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Yes, but he probably has the words "I love you Rosie" and "I want you Rosie" memorized by now. ;)

:haha: But of course!!! Would you like me to teach you the Spanish........? :haha:

sigmagirl91
01-22-2004, 01:59 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!