The Good, Bad, and Ugly: Surprises at the AO [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Good, Bad, and Ugly: Surprises at the AO

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 04:47 AM
This thread is dedicated to the astonishing losses, tight upsets, dark horse thrills, or any other match that caused you to go :eek:

My thoughts on some players over the first two days (you may either agree or disagree):

Coria :sad:
Mario Ancic gets a decent draw and makes it out of the 1st round :woohoo:
Soderling takes out Scheuttler :woohoo:
Marat wins his first Slam match since last AO :woohoo:
Roddick runs over Gonzo the way he ran over Henman at the USO.
Younes won't be a factor. No thrills-a-minute matches including him.
Come'n Mardy. You almost won a Masters last year. No way you should go out 1st Round at Australia :mad: Ok, so you had a tough draw against Ivo. Take a cue from Roddick.
Igor get in the gym :mad:
Nico, glad to see you made it past the 1st round :yeah:
:sad: for Moya, but glad for James. Now go the distance :yeah:
Is Enqvist another dark horse :confused:
Dmitry :sad: What's happening to the Russians :confused: Okay, he had a bad draw. But still.
Youzhny :sad: See above.
Is Alex Popp only good on grass :confused:
I don't understand poster hype over Feliciano Lopez :confused:
Will Xavier Malisse ever live up to the hype :confused:
Richard Gasquet, ibid.
Great to see Jeff Morrison's name again :yeah:
Tommy Robredo is becoming annoying :mad:
Greg Rusedski needs to retire.
So does Nicolas "The Future of German Tennis" Kiefer.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 04:52 AM
Tommy Robredo is not becoming annoying! But this loss was shocking to me, as I knew it was going to be tough against Gaston Gaudio, but he should've won this match.

It's good that Volandri won his match against Kiefer, because I prefer watching the Italian's game.

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 04:56 AM
Mardy was disappointing for several reasons, namely to lose 3TBs after only facing TWO BPs on serve and saving them both. I mean that's just heartbreaking. He'll lose a bunch of points, and even more importantly it probably cost him the #2 singles slot on the DC team, esp if the guys he's competing with for it (James, Taylor, and Robby) all continue to play well.

Roddick runs over Gonzo the way he ran over Henman at the USO.

Andy seems to prefer the tough opening round. Hopefully the next 6 follow the same parallel ;)

I'd like to see James do well, he needs it for his confidence so he can bounce back from his disappointing 2003.

As for Schuettler, for some reason I wasn't that surprised. maybe b/c he crashed out in the two previous weeks too, or maybe it's b/c I don't think he's even that good to start with, but yeah.

all in all I think it's been an exciting start... then again the AO usually is :)

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 05:01 AM
An exciting start is definitely the correct term. This has been the best start of a Grand Slam for me personally after quite a number of years. It is good to see some upsets, now let's hope that Venus gets knocked out soon too.

Dirk
01-20-2004, 05:01 AM
Hey I like Gaudio. I think he did a great job. I hope he can make the 2nd week.

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 05:04 AM
except for all the injuries, that's really disappointing. To have guys as great as Carlos and Younes out, especially since they were in the same quarter, that's just tragic. Same on the women's side - just not the same without Jennifer, Kim at 100%, etc. But other than that :yeah:

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 05:07 AM
now let's hope that Venus gets knocked out soon too.

Sorry, Venus all the way :yeah:

I haven't really paid too much attention to the women's draw. Is Maria in the other half? I'd like to see a Venus v. Maria final, with Venus winning in three tough sets.

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 05:14 AM
Which Maria? Sharapova? If so, she's in the same half as Venus

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 05:42 AM
Maria Kirilenko?

Hey I like Gaudio. I think he did a great job. I hope he can make the 2nd week.

I like Gaudio too Dirk, I just like Robredo more :)
And Venus won her match.. ugh! :( Take her out! Please! :)

oxy
01-20-2004, 06:56 AM
hewitt's attitude towards his opponent who was grasping in pain today is the bad of the AO so far!!

Action Jackson
01-20-2004, 10:36 AM
I am there and most of you are not, anyway Gaudio chopped Robredo and he served more double faults than Robredo. Big match tomorrow with Hrbaty, hopefully it's windy and that can wrech Dominator's ball toss.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Did Robredo really play such a lousy match, George? I am not used to that, he usuallyplays well enough to win a set or at least do better than he did now..

star
01-20-2004, 11:58 AM
"I don't understand poster hype over Feliciano Lopez:confused:"

I think the hype may not be based entirely on his game. ;)

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 01:32 PM
I think Tennis Fool might not have been that impressed by Feliciano's looks.

maratski
01-20-2004, 01:43 PM
BTW was it here that I saw the nude pic of Feli or was it on another board?

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 01:46 PM
I think it was here.. In the Spanish Armada board. Someone was drooling over it.. ANd it wasn't me, I can guarantee you!

Ma. Estefania
01-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Is Enqvist another dark horse :confused:

I hope so.... :o

tangerine_dream
01-20-2004, 04:48 PM
It is good to see some upsets, now let's hope that Venus gets knocked out soon too.

One Justine coming right up! :bounce: :yeah:

Havok
01-20-2004, 04:52 PM
i agree with everything you said. and there's NO WAY Sharapova is getting really far here in the AO. i'm sorry but she needs at least another year. GO VENUS:rocker2:

TennisLurker
01-20-2004, 04:55 PM
It was here, it was a picture of him playing tennis naked, and he was saying Con este cuerapazo voy a ganar Wimbledon.

In english it would be, with this hot body I will win wimbledon.

I do not like Feliciano much.

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 05:40 PM
One Justine coming right up! :bounce: :yeah:

That ain't til the finals though

Crazy_Fool
01-20-2004, 06:09 PM
That ain't til the finals though
Yes, lets hope Justine kicks her ass....

Havok
01-20-2004, 06:48 PM
GO VENUS:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Well I don't love Justine or Venus....

I want a Davenport/Clijsters final..... a girl can dream, no? :)

J. Corwin
01-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Go Venus ;)

Action Jackson
01-20-2004, 10:06 PM
That was great that Feliciano " I am so beautiful without a backhand" Lopez lost leading 2 sets to love.

CooCooCachoo, yes Gaudio outplayed Robredo and no he didn't deserve to win a set. The only reason the last set when to a tiebreaker was Gaudio choked when he served for the match.

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 10:19 PM
That was great that Feliciano " I am so beautiful without a backhand" Lopez lost leading 2 sets to love.

:lol:

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 10:20 PM

And in that dream you can title, "Revenge of the Feet Girls" :p

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 10:21 PM
i agree with everything you said. and there's NO WAY Sharapova is getting really far here in the AO. i'm sorry but she needs at least another year. GO VENUS:rocker2:

We'll see about Maria...

GO VENUS :worship:

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 10:31 PM
And in that dream you can title, "Revenge of the Feet Girls" :p

:lol:

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Shocking :eek:
Evening news showed a Australian Open highlight :eek: starring Lleyton Hewitt :eek:
(Okay, it was really to show Cecil Mamitt running into the chair umpire, but still, no Roddick :o )
And, of course new fashion queen, Ashley Harkelroad and her mid-drift.

Chloe le Bopper
01-20-2004, 11:02 PM

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! The two most boring top ten players, on court at the same time! I just wouldn't watch ;)

Ma. Estefania
01-20-2004, 11:08 PM
I agree......then my last hope is Justine.

Chloe le Bopper
01-20-2004, 11:11 PM
I agree......then my last hope is Justine.
I'd like a Justine-Venus finals. Two fine players that I actually enjoy watching. The outcome would be almost meaningless (though I like Justine more, Venus hasn't won a slam in a while that I could deal with her winning)

Leo
01-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Sorry, Venus all the way :yeah:

I haven't really paid too much attention to the women's draw. Is Maria in the other half? I'd like to see a Venus v. Maria final, with Venus winning in three tough sets.

Venus :clap2:

Maria :retard:

Venus will win the tournament, I think. Probably over Henin-Hardenne in the final. It'd be nice to see Davenport win one last Major, but she seems to have been passed up. Not her fault, she just wasn't born an athlete.

Leo
01-20-2004, 11:23 PM

But then Davenport won't have a chance. :( Her record last year against Kim was, well, I don't like to think about it. How about Davenport vs. Kapros?! I think Lindsay might have a slight chance then. ;)

Clijsters isn't getting past Venus, especially considering that she's not physically 100%.

Leo
01-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! The two most boring top ten players, on court at the same time! I just wouldn't watch ;)

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

*puts Becca on ignore*

Ma. Estefania
01-20-2004, 11:40 PM
I really don't enjoy watching any player apart from Justine, since Martina is gone....so....I just hope Justine can win this one.

Hispanica
01-21-2004, 12:55 AM
It was here, it was a picture of him playing tennis naked, and he was saying Con este cuerapazo voy a ganar Wimbledon.

In english it would be, with this hot body I will win wimbledon.

I do not like Feliciano much.

For your information, Feliciano's words were transformed... I read a complete interview about that and unfortunatly it was a whike so I can't find it

Hispanica
01-21-2004, 01:00 AM
About Robredo, I'm sad he lost cause he was playing so well these past 2 weeks but like last year when he lost in first round, I hope he'll go far in doubles with Rafa... I'm sure thye can do it.

About women, i don't want another Justine-kim final even if I'm Belgian... These GS women finals are pretty boring since it's always the same players facing each other and one of them doesn't play well

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Clijsters isn't getting past Venus, especially considering that she's not physically 100%

Of course Clijsters won't get past Venus, since Venus won't step aside and who could walk past a wall ;) Just kidding lol. I hate watching Venus and I don't like her mentality on court either. To me, she is not an asset to the game of tennis.

Hispanica.. I don't think Robredo/Nadal can do well in doubles. They make an average team, unfortunately. They may have won a doubles title, but they didn't beat any good players or teams there, which they will need to do in Melbourne.

WyverN
01-21-2004, 11:35 AM
The only thing stopping a venus/henin final is a venus injury which is rather possible

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 11:39 AM
- Keeps fingers crossed then -

Lady
01-21-2004, 11:49 AM
I'd like a Justine-Venus finals. Two fine players that I actually enjoy watching. The outcome would be almost meaningless (though I like Justine more, Venus hasn't won a slam in a while that I could deal with her winning)

I like that picture :D

With Justine winning of course :angel:

But as you said Venus hasn't won a slam for ages now, so it won't be bad either ;)

Hispanica
01-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Hispanica.. I don't think Robredo/Nadal can do well in doubles. They make an average team, unfortunately. They may have won a doubles title, but they didn't beat any good players or teams there, which they will need to do in Melbourne.

Well, As long as I know, they beat 1 seed who reached wimby's semis... but well, it's also a young one and if they keep playing toghether all the time, within some months, they'll be way better

tangerine_dream
01-21-2004, 03:53 PM
:bigcry: I miss the Martinas! :sobbing:

tangerine_dream
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Wow. :eek: Marat certainly must be talented to be able to serve horizontally!

Deboogle!.
01-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Whoa that is a freaky pic!!!!!

Chloe le Bopper
01-21-2004, 05:21 PM

The draw in Chennai was weak, but the team that they beat in the finals is a good team. As is the team that they beat yesterday. No, they haven't beat the Bryans. But they've beat two quality teams in the last few weeks, which has to count for something.

Tennis Fool
01-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Tangerine, let's hope he doesn't keep that up...that's how he hurt his back the first time.

MisterQ
01-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Wow. :eek: Marat certainly must be talented to be able to serve horizontally!

Whoa! What's going on there? Has he been stretching a lot? :lol:

Tennis Fool
01-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Thoughts on Day 3:

Well, Daniela answered my question, "Who will make it out of the 2nd round, Daniela or Guga?"
(Guga ruined the humor by also surviving his match).

Great mental fortitude by Taylor in surviving this score by Chela: 3/6 6/4 4/6 7/6(4) 7/5. He could've easily gone out in four or five.

James Blake :clap2: Defend that 4th round spot.

Did Gaston Gaudio show up for his 2nd rd match?

Todd "Mental Tough" Martin defeated Ivo 7/6(4) 7/6(4) 7/6(7). He'll need it in his replay of his first and only match against Safin, you know, the one Marat won in the Semis of the 2000 US Open...

Who the hell is Oliver Patience???

And...there are way too many bagels in this tournament...the women must be rolling in amusement ;)

Deboogle!.
01-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Who the hell is Oliver Patience???

I don't know but James better beat him!!!!

Action Jackson
01-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Did Gaston Gaudio show up for his 2nd rd match?

If you saw the match, then you would know the answer to that question.

Oliver Patience is an ordinary journeyman, who has just happened to take advantage of a cramping Andreev and a very poor Davydenko. If Blake plays half his best, he will win.

Hispanica
01-22-2004, 02:17 PM
I saw Olivier Patience in Rg two years ago will he was playing with Tommy a small game for Benny Berthet day...

I'd like him to win and go far in the tournament...

Experimentee
01-22-2004, 02:47 PM

Obviously he didnt see the match, or he wouldnt be asking the question :rolleyes:

Gaudio played the same as he did against Robredo, but the Dominator was simply too good. I just couldnt believe it, he was playing the best tennis I've seen him play for years! So much better than when he won Adelaide. Gaudio couldnt do anything, as he was simply blown off the court. Dominik got a standing ovation when he left the court. That says it all.

tangerine_dream
01-22-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm going to start a new drinking game for myself: the next dude who goes on court wearing RED, I'm downing a shot of goldschlager.

I figure I'll be as sober as a Phish fan by the end of the tournament. :)

Deboogle!.
01-22-2004, 03:38 PM
LMGDFAO Tangy...

Tennis Fool
01-22-2004, 10:33 PM

Sorry, I didn't see the match. Why not?

A. I'm not at the Aussie Open.
B. ESPN doesn't show non-Roddick/Agassi matches unless its the finals
C. I don't have cable anyway, so why am I complaining about ESPN?
D. The Networks won't show this Slam as it falls in Super Bowl season
E. No one is airing this on Earthlink Broadband, so I have to go by scores and stats to tell what's happening
F. All of the above

:devil: ;)

Oliver Patience is an ordinary journeyman, who has just happened to take advantage of a cramping Andreev and a very poor Davydenko. If Blake plays half his best, he will win.
Ok.

Action Jackson
01-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Exp did you assume that I wasn't there. I was at the match and saw how well Hrbaty played, people just look at scores and don't assume there could have been some other factors like Hrbaty not missing anything, an injury or something similar.

Gaudio didn't play the same as he did against Robredo, as Hrbaty wasn't making the mistakes. The only thing he could have done was varied the speed and the height and spin of his shots, and the way Hrbaty was playing that probably wouldn't have worked.

I just hope he smashes Grosjean in the next round.

Action Jackson
01-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Good answers Tennis Fool.

Tennis Fool
01-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Thoughts, Day 4.

I don't know what to make of the Russian girls. Half gone with the breeze, half blowing out their competition. Will anyone (Svetlana, Dinara, Maria, A. Myskina, Elena) last through to the Semis?

Ai! What happened to you???

Great comebacks from Nadal and Canas to win their matches.

Mario Ancic into the 3rd round :eek:

I love Patty. Get your head together.

Patrick Rafter came and went, with barely a mention, losing his doubles match with Joshua Eagle in straights. Will he surface again?

Chloe le Bopper
01-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Ancic made the fourth round last year, so he's doing well to defend his points.

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 12:04 AM
QR: Thanks about Ancic. I guess the Aussie heat suits him. He'll run out of gas against Flip, tho.

Day 5:

Marat :clap2: I wish he weren't in James' quarter. They are both great players, although Marat is obviously more talented, and James the workhorse.

The Dominator didn't in his match against Grosjean, although looking at their H2H, Grosjean has dominated on hard courts in this silent rivalry.

Has anything been more boring than following the women's matches up to this point :confused:

sigmagirl91
01-24-2004, 12:09 AM
The good: the seeds are actually holding form on both sides.

The bad: The depleted women's field. It's almost certain that Justine and Kim will meet in the final. If so, my pick is Justine, because she is the tougher of the two mentally.

The ugly: What about those ugly Nike shirts that Roger, Andre, and co. (with the notable exception of Hewitt) are wearing? What was up with THAT?

Leo
01-24-2004, 12:12 AM
There's a reason the men have been shown more than the women; the women's matches are significantly less interesting. That Henin-Hardenne/Kuznetsova clash last night was by far the ugliest tennis I've seen so far this year. I couldn't help but laugh when Justine mishit that easy swinging volley into the bottom of the net. :lol: Hopefully things will spice up in that field tonight when Myskina and Sharapova go at it. Kick her overrated, "barbie doll" ass, Anastasia! :D Venus and Lisa could be fun as well, but Williams will definitely need to be a bit off for Lisa to get into the match and make it competitive.

ESPN has confirmed it: Hewitt/Nadal will be the feature match on EPN's tape delayed portion tomorrow. :) That'll be two non-American matches in 12 hours on ESPN ... holy shit! :eek: :rolleyes:

Leo
01-24-2004, 12:14 AM
The good: the seeds are actually holding form on both sides.

The bad: The depleted women's field. It's almost certain that Justine and Kim will meet in the final. If so, my pick is Justine, because she is the tougher of the two mentally.

The ugly: What about those ugly Nike shirts that Roger, Andre, and co. (with the notable exception of Hewitt) are wearing? What was up with THAT?

Venus will thrash Kim. :D

Agreed, the Nike shirts of Agassi, Fed, and co. are absolutely hideous. Hewitt's line of outfits is much better.

sigmagirl91
01-24-2004, 12:15 AM
But, it's an Australian, so that's sufficient for ESPN. So, who will they show on live coverage tonight? Anyone know?

sigmagirl91
01-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Venus will thrash Kim. :D

Agreed, the Nike shirts of Agassi, Fed, and co. are absolutely hideous. Hewitt's line of outfits is much better.

She may or may not. Depends on how she plays in the later rounds. I don't know of Venus actually giving up in a match, so she just may have a chance. She's hungry. :)

Leo
01-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Reid's current self-destruction on Rad Laver Arena certainly qualifies for both bad and ugly. Just 6 winners to a horrible 24 unforced errors. And Federer's not even playing that well; he's just about even in the winners/errors ratio and is only serving at about 50%. Ooops, that's 13 games in a row for Roger. :o

sigmagirl91
01-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Another bagel? I think so. Fed's practically having a clinic out there.

Leo
01-24-2004, 12:19 AM
But, it's an Australian, so that's sufficient for ESPN. So, who will they show on live coverage tonight? Anyone know?
Venus/Lisa and Anastasia/Maria are the promised matches. I hope to see some of Juan Carlos as well. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrero was upset today. J. Johansson has been playing extremely well. With him and Soderling, Sweden has some players to cheer for again over the next few years; while, unfortunately, Enqvist, Norman, and (possibly) T. Johansson are fading.

sigmagirl91
01-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Hmmmm....Leo, I think you're right about Enqvist, Norman, and Tommy Jo. They are fading, and "Pim Pim" and Soderling are on the rise. I think they will go far.

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 12:26 AM
ESPN has confirmed it: Hewitt/Nadal will be the feature match on EPN's tape delayed portion tomorrow.

GOod good... although I fear that TSN is going to reshow the stuff that they show tonight :rolleyes:

WyverN
01-24-2004, 12:45 AM
And Federer's not even playing that well; he's just about even in the winners/errors ratio and is only serving at about 50%. Ooops, that's 13 games in a row for Roger. :o

Federer made 14 of those unforced errors in the first 5 games. After the first 3 service games he was at 29% of first serve % in. But then again when have you let the facts get in the way.

Hispanica
01-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Really rebecca.. I hope tsn will show the game.

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Really rebecca.. I hope tsn will show the game.
Me too. Even if Hewitt wins easily, I'd like to see what happened.

Leo
01-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Federer made 14 of those unforced errors in the first 5 games. After the first 3 service games he was at 29% of first serve % in. But then again when have you let the facts get in the way.

No need to get snippish, Wyvern. ;) I didn't know that Federer had started out so horribly, but he definitely rebounded well after the first 5 or 6 games. Sounds similar to Lindsay's match yesterday. She couldn't keep the ball in the court in the first 5 games but after that she totally dominated, rarely making unforced errors.

At least Fed was nice enough to give his young Aussie opponent one last game in the 3rd set.

Nan Cu
01-24-2004, 12:58 AM
This has been the best start of a Grand Slam for me personally after quite a number of years. It is good to see some upsets, now let's hope that Venus gets knocked out soon too.

Hey.

WyverN
01-24-2004, 12:59 AM
Both Lindsay and Federer will need to start better in the future rounds. Lindsay has a big opportunity this year if she is ok physically.

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 02:30 AM
Venus :eek: How could you :sad:

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 02:35 AM
The much-hyped Myskina/Sharapova match seems like a disaster...

Myskina
Winners 4
Unforced errors 9
Breaks of serve 3

Sharapova
Winners 3
Unforced errors 22
Breaks of serve: 4/4 (she hasn't held serve once)

And this is just the 1st set (at 37 minutes). Anyone left not :zzz: in the stands :lol:

MisterQ
01-24-2004, 03:09 AM
Venus' straight sets loss. Didn't see that one coming!

Aurora
01-24-2004, 03:26 AM
Raymond playing the match of her life at a level not matched by any top player yet in this ao I think.
now who's gonna stop Clijsters gettin into the final?

MisterQ
01-24-2004, 03:42 AM
I agree, Raymond is playing some tremendous, crafty, smart tennis.

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Rafa :sad: He needs a tiebreak coach. Or maybe just a few years ;)

Henmen's loss doesn't surprise me.

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Patty Schynder, my fav WTA player after Monica and Serena. But the most frustrating.

Ma. Estefania
01-24-2004, 07:44 PM

Unfortunately it seems that no one....she just will be at the final, and with luck Justine will beat her once again :D .....but I'm worried about the fact that Justine has a much harder draw....

Chloe le Bopper
01-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Rafa :sad: He needs a tiebreak coach. Or maybe just a few years ;)

Henmen's loss doesn't surprise me.
A couple months should do it ;)

Leo
01-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Raymond playing the match of her life at a level not matched by any top player yet in this ao I think.

Anastasia Myskina is the only one that stands a chance. I know she played like a shithead against Maria, but she's done it twice before: once during Clijsters's fantastic '02 indoor season run and a second time last year in the same tournament (Admittedly, Clijsters had to retire at 7-5, 4-4). I hope Nastya can pull it off and sneak through to the final, to lose to Lindsay or Amelie. :D

Too bad Lina Kraz :hearts: lost to that French 15-year old. :sad: Otherwise, the draw could have been open for her to repeat or possibly out-do her RG 2001 performance.

Tennis Fool
01-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Flip and Venus both need to work on their Ace Rebound game. I can't believe Flip beat Sampras in 1996 and still hasn't moved past the 4th rd. at this event.

Amelie :sad: And from what I hear, she was looking so sharp! When did this tear happen?

Federer not only beat Hewitt, he blew a hole into the Potato :o Now let's bagel the next opponent who has the winning record :D

Leo
01-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Oh, I feel absolutely miserable for Amelie. Shed a couple tears. I thought this could have been her shining moment to win a Slam, but injuries hold her back again. Damn back strain.

I also heard that Clijsters has a slight back injury, caused by a change in her movement due to her ankle. It's weakened her serve, which gives Myskina a much better chance in the quarters. Their H2H is even at 3-3, so the match is really up in the air. If Myskina can play like she did in the last match against Rubin (and serve like she did in the final two sets), I like her chances. Take it away, Anastasia!!!!

So, Zuluaga in one semifinal and Raymond/Schnyder in the other. Women's tennis has more depth than men's tennis, maybe? :lol:

Leo
01-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Oh, and the big Lindsay/Justine showdown is coming up soon. Hopefully Etlis/Rodriguez can upsets the Canucks in straights and the girls can take the court. I just hope it's not a letdown of a match ... Hello, who am I kidding? I hope Lindsay beats the shit out of that lying, cheating, arrogant bitch. :devil:

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Umm.... Leo I can't tell. how do you really feel??????

GO LINDSAY!

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Leo I agree with you on all counts.

Poor Amelie -- she was playing really great in this tournament, too.

And I'm hoping for a Lindsay victory as well! GO LINDSAY!

Action Jackson
01-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Leo since when has Mark Knowles been a Canuck?

Sjengster
01-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Well, it's catchier than saying "beat that 4th seeded Canuck-Bahamian combination", in't it?

Tennis Fool
01-27-2004, 12:51 AM
So, Zuluaga in one semifinal and Raymond/Schnyder in the other. Women's tennis has more depth than men's tennis, maybe? :lol:

My Columbian friend wouldn't like that comment...

And don't knock Schnyder :( Talent-wise she's in the top tier of players, it's been the Orange Juice Guy and the Private Eye who've been keeping her back.

Action Jackson
01-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Not as catchy as this Sjengster.

Na na na na na Hew- itt goodbye, shala la, shala la Hew-itt goodbye which was chanted by us last night after the Potato was beaten.

Leo
01-27-2004, 12:59 AM
Leo since when has Mark Knowles been a Canuck?

Since I said he was about 15 minutes ago, duh. No? Oh, well then it's a 1/2 Canuck team.

Leo
01-27-2004, 01:02 AM
My Columbian friend wouldn't like that comment...

And don't knock Schnyder :( Talent-wise she's in the top tier of players, it's been the Orange Juice Guy and the Private Eye who've been keeping her back.

Zuluaga's a great player, especially on clay. But you have to admit her road to the semifinals has been an easy one; she's racked up just 40 quality points in all her matches. :eek: And I think she'll probably be killed by Lindsay/Justine in the semis. She doesn't have the weapons to really challenge them.

You're right, Schnyder is a real talent and has mostly underachieved in her career. You can say the same for Lisa Raymond, actually. So I'm really happy that they both get this great opportunity, but I doubt that we'll be seeing either one in the finals.

Leo
01-27-2004, 02:07 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

They're starting.

And Lindsay holds to love like the sex goddess she is. :bounce: :hearts:

Hmmmm, I think I'll take this wtaworld.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 02:13 AM
lol Leo....... but but she broke to open and then held at love!!!!!!

tangerine_dream
01-27-2004, 02:17 AM
hey Leo and bunk ... get your butts to the AO thread! Lindsay's up 3-0 already. :banana:

Leo
01-27-2004, 02:18 AM
I know. Argh, two break points wasted for 4-0!!!! :(

Coverage is def.g going to start late thanks to the impossibly long fucking hockey game on ESPN2 right now which is still in the 3rd quarter!!!!!!! I just want to see this match in full. That's all.

Leo
01-27-2004, 02:18 AM
4-0! :worship: It's better when I don't follow the scoreboard point by point. ;)

Keep it up, my love! :kiss:

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 02:19 AM
Ummmmmm...... is Justine gonna get a BAGEL?

*going to the AO thread*

Leo
hey Leo and bunk ... get your butts to the AO thread! Lindsay's up 3-0 already. :banana:

Ooooh, yay.

Leo
I sound about as mature as a 5 year old on this thread...

Hispanica
01-27-2004, 03:00 AM
Well, looks like Super Juju is out there

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 03:02 AM
I think I preferred Choker Juju...

Come on Lindsay!

Leo
01-27-2004, 04:20 AM
If you guys would like to join me in a good piss and moan and bitch and complain about Lindsay and how much she sucked today, head over to wtaworld. :D

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 04:22 AM
I'm there! :lol:

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 04:24 AM
Oh, and the big Lindsay/Justine showdown is coming up soon. Hopefully Etlis/Rodriguez can upsets the Canucks in straights and the girls can take the court. I just hope it's not a letdown of a match ... Hello, who am I kidding? I hope Lindsay beats the shit out of that lying, cheating, arrogant bitch. :devil:
HA HA HA

Yeah, I'm 12.

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 04:25 AM
If you guys would like to join me in a good piss and moan and bitch and complain about Lindsay and how much she sucked today, head over to wtaworld. :D
Sorry for the "HA HA HA" bit, but it had to be said.

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 04:26 AM
I sound about as mature as a 5 year old on this thread...
It's okay to be immature, as long as we admit it later (or as the case may be, in the very post where we act 12, as I did a moment ago) ;):D

Leo
01-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Don't laugh at me, laugh at Lindsay for pretending to be a Top 5 tennis player. She almost fooled me for 4 games, but my deductive skills were too sharp.

Ah, Grosjean is retiring. What a loser! Pulled a muscle, my ass!

Leo
01-27-2004, 04:40 AM
Sorry, that was another 5-year old post again. Poor French players today.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 04:52 AM
OK best part of the AO so far:

Cliff calling PMac out on live national TV about his lips being adhered to Andy's ass

:haha: :lol: :haha: :worship:

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 05:01 AM
Don't laugh at me, laugh at Lindsay for pretending to be a Top 5 tennis player. She almost fooled me for 4 games, but my deductive skills were too sharp.

Ah, Grosjean is retiring. What a loser! Pulled a muscle, my ass!
I was sort of laughing in general. But yeah... we can both be 12, it's fun :D

Leo
01-27-2004, 05:08 AM
I was sort of laughing in general. But yeah... we can both be 12, it's fun :D

Nah, I'm 5. So I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay cooler.

Leo
01-27-2004, 05:10 AM
OK best part of the AO so far:

Cliff calling PMac out on live national TV about his lips being adhered to Andy's ass

:haha: :lol: :haha: :worship:

No way!!!!!!! Oh, my love for Cliffy has been revived. I'm glad I taped the coverage this past hour so I can go back and experience all the fun!

On the other hand, Cliffy does some Andy ass kissing himself...

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 05:12 AM
Well it was damn funny... right near the end of coverage.. like, REALLY HILARIOUS. OK at least I thought so, but I'm really easily amused. I was laughing out loud and my friend walked by my door and just looked at me.

Action Jackson
01-27-2004, 05:14 AM
See who says the truth can't be funny.

Chloe le Bopper
01-27-2004, 05:19 AM
Nah, I'm 5. So I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay cooler.
Are not!

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 05:21 AM
The fairest analysis of the Andy/Marat match came from Andre in his post-match interview.

A little more in depth than "he's No. 1, so he will probably win!," lol.

Action Jackson
01-27-2004, 05:24 AM
Q, I will think of you when I am on centre court watching Marat taking out Duckboy. Seriously I hope it's a good match.

MisterQ
01-27-2004, 05:33 AM
i wonder if you have misinterpreted my post, GWH...

andre emphasized the strengths of each player, and how each has potential to win the match.

whereas our ESPN commentators said little more than "Andy's playing like No. 1" which is not very specific if you ask me....

Anyhow, I'm glad I'll be in your thoughts. I'm touched! ;)

Deboogle!.
01-27-2004, 05:34 AM
lol well it's Andre, he is god right?

Action Jackson
01-27-2004, 05:35 AM
Come on Q, you know you are my favourite Roddick fan.

J. Corwin
01-27-2004, 05:48 AM
The fairest analysis of the Andy/Marat match came from Andre in his post-match interview.

A little more in depth than "he's No. 1, so he will probably win!," lol.

Zen master is getting ready to lay the beat down on his next opponent. ;)

J. Corwin
01-27-2004, 05:49 AM
Side note: Yup, I had a feeling Lindsay was gonna choke the match away. :)

Leo
01-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Are not!

Are so!

Liar, liar, pants on fire! :fiery:

That's it, talk to the hand cuz the face ain't listening.

:nerner:

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Patty in her first semifinal :crazy:
Take it all, Patty!

Leo
01-28-2004, 01:56 AM
Oh man, did you check the stats from this Myskina/Clijsters match? So many double faults and unforced errors. Kind of sums up the women's event: Ugly.

Myskina, don't choke this second set :rolleyes:

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 02:34 AM
She lost the tiebreak 7/9.

Hispanica
01-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Well looks like you are going ahead another Belgian Final... not another one... I love our two tennis players but it's being annoying like the Williams' finals...

Yeah, Kim wonm playing bad.

Leo
01-28-2004, 04:44 AM
She lost the tiebreak 7/9.

Actually it was 11-9.

Wow, Myskina's choke was absolutely disgraceful and embarassing. A 4-0 lead in the second set. 5 set points in total. But she somehow couldn't close it out against an injured and way sub-par opponent. She was fighting her head while Kim was fighting her ankle, and it turned out to be a really horrible match, despite some incredible drama in the second set tiebreak.

Leo
01-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Well looks like you are going ahead another Belgian Final... not another one... I love our two tennis players but it's being annoying like the Williams' finals...

Yeah, Kim wonm playing bad.

We'll have to see whether or not Clijsters can play her next match. The Eurosport commentators were doubtful.

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 04:50 AM
Are so!

Liar, liar, pants on fire! :fiery:

That's it, talk to the hand cuz the face ain't listening.

:nerner:
I'm rubber, you're glue; anything that you say bounces off me and sticks to you.
AHAHA!

Leo
01-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Btw, the combined 4 women today hit about 155 errors compared to just 70 winners, and also smacked 20 double faults! And yet that's what ESPN is showing instead of a high-quality, gruelling men's match.

Leo
01-28-2004, 04:53 AM
I'm rubber, you're glue; anything that you say bounces off me and sticks to you.
AHAHA!

:eek: :eek: :crying2: :crying2:

Mommy, can you put this mean girl in time out?! She make me cwwwwyy. :crying2:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 05:12 AM
:eek: :eek: :crying2: :crying2:

Mommy, can you put this mean girl in time out?! She make me cwwwwyy. :crying2:
Sticks and stones :devil:

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:19 AM
U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you ugly! :nerner:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 05:32 AM
U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you ugly! :nerner:
Oh yeah? Well you're FAT.

Scotso
01-28-2004, 05:36 AM
*sucks on Leo's toes*

WyverN
01-28-2004, 05:45 AM
the scary thing is this is one of the most intelligent threads on mtf lol ;)

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Oh yeah? Well you're FAT.

Ooooh, so weak. Running out of steam, eh? Well I think that just about makes me champ of the kiddie insults. Rahr!

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:48 AM
*sucks on Leo's toes*

Kay, but I haven't showered in a few days... ;)

Scotso
01-28-2004, 05:58 AM
*shrug*

Leo
01-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Well, I'm headed to bed. But not before I thank ESPN for showing two crappy women's matches instead of Ferrero/Arazi. :rolleyes:

Scotso
01-28-2004, 06:09 AM
:wavey:

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 07:10 AM
the scary thing is this is one of the most intelligent threads on mtf lol ;)
Very true. And not surprisingly, I was a part of this deep, insightful discussion. As always. *bows*

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 07:11 AM
Ooooh, so weak. Running out of steam, eh? Well I think that just about makes me champ of the kiddie insults. Rahr!
Your momma!

Tennis Fool
01-28-2004, 11:28 PM
I just read Patty's interview and she got married :eek:

Did she marry the Private Eye Guy?

Deboogle!.
01-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Btw, the combined 4 women today hit about 155 errors compared to just 70 winners, and also smacked 20 double faults! And yet that's what ESPN is showing instead of a high-quality, gruelling men's match.

oh, my..... I knew there was a reason I turned my tv off!

TF I don't know if it's still there but a few weeks ago Tennis Week had a big interview with Patty. It was pretty interesting.

Leo
01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Your momma!

*moons Becca*

Ha, no beating that!

Leo
01-28-2004, 11:57 PM
I just read Patty's interview and she got married :eek:

Did she marry the Private Eye Guy?

I believe so. They got engaged sometime last year.

Tennis Fool
01-29-2004, 04:33 AM
This Schnyder/Clijsters match looks like the disaster the 1st women's semi was...

Patty had the chance to serve out the 2nd set but got broken :(

I'm sorry but women's tennis is just not exciting without Serena or Monica.

If Kim goes into this final and loses to a error-prone Justine, I'm boycotting anymore Belgian-Belgian affairs.

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 04:39 AM
She is in the final now, and no I won't be watching it.

I actually broke my own rules of watching more than 3 minutes of a womens match. I actually watched 20 mins of Clijsters/Farina-Elia as I wanted a good seat for the Pavel/Ferrero match.

Tennis Fool
01-29-2004, 04:47 AM
George, did you get to see Safin at all? I hope to see him live this year.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 04:55 AM
Here's a Good: they got smart and moved the Doubles SF (featuring the 1 and 3 seeds) to Rod Laver

Action Jackson
01-29-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Tennis Fool
George, did you get to see Safin at all? I hope to see him live this year

Yes, I only saw 5 of his matches.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 05:54 AM
*moons Becca*

Ha, no beating that!
*flashes Leo*

The best part of that was that you were too busy sticking your ass in the air to look.

HA.

I rule.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 05:58 AM
So far this whole tournament has been a bit dissapointing. Apart from the Safin-Roddick match all the others have been a bit to predictable, especially involving the top players.

The hyped Federer/Nalbandian match had way to many errors and in the Federer/Hewitt match Roger predictably smashed Hewitt off court.

Womens tournament has been the most boring since I started watching tennis and I just hope that the mens semi finals that have a great potential turn into something classic.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 06:02 AM
I dont know why some people hate womens tennis. From the semis on the matches are usually fascinating.
Plus you have Henin, the most talented male or female player.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 06:12 AM
I dont know why some people hate womens tennis. From the semis on the matches are usually fascinating.
Right fucking ON about Justine.

Experimentee
01-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Well the womens semis this year were extremely boring. There was never any doubt who would win, and I dont even think theres any doubt who will win the final. I usually enjoy womens tennis more, but I am enjoying the men's tournament so much more this year.

Lady
01-29-2004, 02:18 PM

So true about Justine ;) :D

I certainly hope she wins the final!
Along with Marat!!

They made my days so far in this tourny! :hearts:

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Hmm I don't know if I think JHH is the MOST talented... definitely the hardest-working, though.

I'd like to see Kim get her first Grand Slam, if for no other reason than to not have to hear about her not winning a slam yet. Plus, I just like her better.

For the men, I want Ferrero to win tonight but I think it could be interesting to see Federer/Safin since everyone says they're the 2 most talented.

Aurora
01-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Justine all the way!! I'm totally in my 2 Adidas-poulains!
I wouldn't mind Kim finally having a slam, but not now: Juju needs to keep the #1!
Luckily as a Belgian it's a win-win situation!

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Hey, bunk, I am picking Justine to win that final-simply because it seems that she is going to be up for it....

Ma. Estefania
01-29-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm pulling for her too, she's more watchable than Clijsters. :o

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey, bunk, I am picking Justine to win that final-simply because it seems that she is going to be up for it....

Well yes.. I think Justine will win, but I like Kim better so I'll be rooting for her :)

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 05:09 PM
I like both the Belgian girls but I think Justine has the AO title in her hands already. Kim is injured and she always manages to choke against her compatriot for some reason. :sad:

I'd love to see Kim win a GS soon but Justine, IMO, is like a mini-Graf....she's just too good. And thank god for her. :worship:

Leo
01-29-2004, 10:50 PM
This Schnyder/Clijsters match looks like the disaster the 1st women's semi was...

Patty had the chance to serve out the 2nd set but got broken :(

I'm sorry but women's tennis is just not exciting without Serena or Monica.

If Kim goes into this final and loses to a error-prone Justine, I'm boycotting anymore Belgian-Belgian affairs.

But Schnyder/Clijsters was the best match I saw all tournament long, believe it or not. :o

Leo
01-29-2004, 10:52 PM
*flashes Leo*

The best part of that was that you were too busy sticking your ass in the air to look.

HA.

I rule.

*strips completely and runs nude through the teacher's lounge*

*is crowned undefeated champion by the other pre-k students*

*boastfully dances in front of Becca*

*makes Becca cry and wet her diapers*

Leo
01-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Kim is not legitimately injured. You could tell that by watching her semifinal match.

Kim was so on fire for the first set and a half yesterday that I thought it was impossible for her to lose the tournament. But my thoughts quickly changed as she struggled to close out Patty Schnyder. Had it not been for Schnyder's choke in the 2nd set, it would have gone 3 sets. Clijsters had similar mental struggles in the quarterfinal against Myskina and was so lucky to pull through that one in straights. But against Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters won't get so many opportunities to close the match and has no room to choke. For that reason, I'm picking Justine, who's clearly more confident and mentally tough. 2-6, 7-5, 6-3. What's sad is that Justine will most likely win the tournament with more errors than winners and more double faults than aces. :o

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 11:22 PM
and serving under 50% :o

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Is Justine the first number one player in the wta who has all the strokes?
I mean, after Navratilova.

Hispanica
01-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Justine is going to win unless something happens to her or Kim...

2 years ago, Juju used to lose against Kim all the time an now, it's the opposite...

Aboce anything, I hope to see good tennis no matter what who wins.

Tennis Fool
01-30-2004, 06:02 AM
Tennislurker: What do you mean by "all the strokes"? If you mean by "all court game", I would think Chris Evert and Martina Hingis would come to mind.

Aurora
01-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Justine is going to win unless something happens to her or Kim...

2 years ago, Juju used to lose against Kim all the time an now, it's the opposite...

Aboce anything, I hope to see good tennis no matter what who wins.

The way Justine turned that h2h around in 7 months or so is amazing... in February last year she was still losing in humiliating ways. And now she has won all the important ones and in finals she's 5-2 up, that's a big mental edge!

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 10:19 AM
I hope Justine wins again. She may be a "cheat" and a "bitch" or whatever else people want to call her; at least she doesn't get tagged with a bullshit "SO NICE" label that "Classy Kim" does. (meanwhile, Kim is as guilty of being a poor loser and using gamesmenship as Justine).

Pass the barf bucket, please.

Aurora
01-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Justine eyes the men

Tennis stars vary in how they mentally prepare for a big match. Some go shopping, some relax with friends and others just like to lounge around their hotel and do nothing much at all. And then there's Justine Henin-Hardenne. The world's No. 1 women's player who takes on Colombia's Fabiola Zuluaga in one of the Australian Open semi-finals today revealed yesterday that when she is not playing she likes to spend her time around men. Now before you raise your eyebrows at this news, we should tell you that her favourite man is still very much her husband, Pierre-Yves Hardenne, her confidante and manager but more importantly "the man who makes me laugh". "That's one of the reasons I married him; he's very funny and makes me laugh all the time. Spending time with him takes the pressure off me before big games, for sure," said the Belgium champ of the man she married in November 2002. But it's the "other men in her life" who also contribute to helping her relax, Henin-Hardenne further revealing she likes watching her male colleagues, in particular her favourite players Andre Agassi and David Nalbandian, strut their stuff on the court. "I don't wish to offend the other women players on the circuit but I learn more by watching the men play than I do watching the girls," she said. "Really, you can't compare the two and I am not too shy to say that." Henin-Hardenne also suspects that the men players get a buzz out of watching the women "but are far too macho to say so".

HH and the Brat - what a team

In an effort to concentrate on her singles career, Henin-Hardenne has put her doubles career temporarily on hold but when she thinks the time is ripe for a return she has a pretty special player - and a very willing one - earmarked as a partner. It is none other than former superstar John McEnroe, these days TV commentator and legends circuit star. Seems that while commentating on last year's US Open, McEnroe was so impressed with her ability, in particular her powerful backhand which he rated as the best in the world - men or women - that he said he would like to have her as a mixed-doubles partner. Henin-Hardenne heard about his comments and said yesterday she was equally as enthusiastic about a match-up with him but not until later in her career. What a pity McEnroe won't be calling today's semi, because should she win, it would have provided him with the perfect opportunity in his post-match interview to put their plans in place.

Source : www.justine-henin.net

Experimentee
01-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Kim is not legitimately injured. You could tell that by watching her semifinal match.

Kim was so on fire for the first set and a half yesterday that I thought it was impossible for her to lose the tournament. But my thoughts quickly changed as she struggled to close out Patty Schnyder. Had it not been for Schnyder's choke in the 2nd set, it would have gone 3 sets. Clijsters had similar mental struggles in the quarterfinal against Myskina and was so lucky to pull through that one in straights. But against Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters won't get so many opportunities to close the match and has no room to choke. For that reason, I'm picking Justine, who's clearly more confident and mentally tough. 2-6, 7-5, 6-3. What's sad is that Justine will most likely win the tournament with more errors than winners and more double faults than aces. :o

Kim is injured. She wouldnt have retired from the Hopman Cup or Sydney if she wasnt, although shes feeling better now its still bothering her a little. In the Myskina match you could see she stumbled as she was running to the net and looked in pain, and after that started playing like crap, trying to finish off points too soon, which would be consistent with her injury bothering her. Theres no reason why she'd choke against opponents like Myskina and Schnyder. I hope she wins the final, but i really doubt it, with the way shes playing now she should go down easily in straight sets, even if Justine isnt playing her best tennis.
Why did people start talking about womens tennis on a mens tennis forum anyway?

Ma. Estefania
01-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Tennislurker: What do you mean by "all the strokes"? If you mean by "all court game", I would think Chris Evert and Martina Hingis would come to mind.

I think he means to a player whose no stroke is her weakness, you know, good serve, good backhand, good forehand, good volleys, etc.

Btw....thanx for that info, swirlingblacklilly. I'm glad Justine likes David's game. :) I'm rooting for her. :worship:

Deboogle!.
01-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Here's another "bad" - ESPN only has 1.5 hours of coverage tonight, just for the women's final - we won't get any of the Men's Dubs final which has the Bryan Bros in it :sad:

Leo
01-31-2004, 12:05 AM
Kim is injured. She wouldnt have retired from the Hopman Cup or Sydney if she wasnt, although shes feeling better now its still bothering her a little. In the Myskina match you could see she stumbled as she was running to the net and looked in pain, and after that started playing like crap, trying to finish off points too soon, which would be consistent with her injury bothering her. Theres no reason why she'd choke against opponents like Myskina and Schnyder. I hope she wins the final, but i really doubt it, with the way shes playing now she should go down easily in straight sets, even if Justine isnt playing her best tennis.
Why did people start talking about womens tennis on a mens tennis forum anyway?

She was injured. But, to me, she doesn't seem to be struggling with her ankle at all anymore. Maybe she did grimace those few times that you mentioned, but she could be "faking it," just like Justine does, according to Kim. :rolleyes:

Leo
01-31-2004, 12:09 AM
I think he means to a player whose no stroke is her weakness, you know, good serve, good backhand, good forehand, good volleys, etc.

Then Lindsay and the Williams Sisters must be included, as well. They have all the shots.

Leo
01-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Cute article, sbl. Would Justine/JMac be a great pairing or what?! :worship:

Deboogle!.
01-31-2004, 03:26 AM
Here's the Worst/Ugliest I've seen all tournament - 4 really bad calls (2 on crucial break points) against Kim in this final. changed the whole match both times. If there's no better argument for replays for the umps, I don't know what is.

Havok
01-31-2004, 03:29 AM
man ever since the quarters, these line judges have been sucking ass haven't they!

Deboogle!.
01-31-2004, 03:32 AM
yea, no kidding.

I mean an overrule call on break point with the server serving at 3-4 in the final set of the championship match??????

J. Corwin
01-31-2004, 03:33 AM
Here's the Worst/Ugliest I've seen all tournament - 4 really bad calls (2 on crucial break points) against Kim in this final. changed the whole match both times. If there's no better argument for replays for the umps, I don't know what is.

I agree. And a VERY bad overrule by the chair umpire on bp when Kim was serving trying to level the match to 4-all in that last set. All the bad calls have gone against Kim.

J. Corwin
01-31-2004, 03:33 AM
2 of the other bad calls caused Kim to lose her serve.

TheBoiledEgg
01-31-2004, 03:35 AM
well done Justine :banana: :D

that call looked dubious but we didnt see it from a proper side on view.

still i'm glad Justine won :D :)
she nearly blew it :mad:

Deboogle!.
01-31-2004, 03:39 AM
that call looked dubious but we didnt see it from a proper side on view.

Well we got it on Shot Spot, it caught the line and in any case was way too close to be correctly overruled. the ESPN commentators were furious

Leo
01-31-2004, 03:49 AM
First of all, congrats to Justine. I haven't seen her struggle closing out a match like since the Davenport epic exactly 12 months ago, but once again she proved the mentally tougher player. Unbelievable that she has become the 8th (?) woman in history to hold 3 Slams at once. :banana:

And, oh, how unfortunate for Kim for all those bad line calls - especially those last two which were crucial in the 3rd set. Not to mention that jackass who called out on a game point for 4-4 in the 3rd, making her doublle-fault into the net. I really do feel terrible for her, but I feel it's inevitable that she eventually wins a Slam.

About that bad call at 3-4, Ad-Out in the 3rd, I think Kim deserves some of the blame. The entire court was open and she had no need to hit it on the line. I'm not defending the chair ump, or anything, because her overrule was a bad decision at such a tense moment, but Clijsters should have played that shot better; you never really can trust Clijsters with those swinging volleys.

Not only should Kim work on her net game, but also her approach shots. So many times in this match and in other Justine battles, I've seen Kim play an easy approach shot wrong by either going crosscourt instead of down the line or by hitting too short in the court, giving Justine a look at the pass. On one approach tonight, Kim moved very poorly into a short ball with some bad footwork, hitting the shot crosscourt and tthen moving to her right, leaving the line totally open for Justine's forehand pass. That's another thing Justine has over Kim: footwork (especially on those baseline overheads).

I hate that this Slam will once again be marred by controversy for Justine. I'm sure most of the wtaworlder's will consider this win "illegitimate" because of the line call, just like Roland Garros was for the hand and the US open was for the absence of both Williams Sisters. :(

J. Corwin
01-31-2004, 03:54 AM
Justine deserves the win but you can't overlook the fact that those line calls could have changed the outcome of the match.

Kim should definitely work on approaching the net by hitting the approach shot down the line. She hits it crosscourt too many times. And she usually does make those swinging volleys. She just tenses up and her play goes down the drain when facing her compatriot.

Deboogle!.
01-31-2004, 03:57 AM
well now I have another reason I could never be a professional competitive athlete...if I were Justine and went into the locker room and found out all those calls were wrongly against my opponent, I'd feel horrible lol.

Maye Kim shouldn't have played the ball so close to the line, maybe she didn't really mean to, but it doesn't change my original point - the calling in this match is my pick for the Worst and Ugliest at the AO

Leo
01-31-2004, 04:05 AM
Maye Kim shouldn't have played the ball so close to the line, maybe she didn't really mean to, but it doesn't change my original point - the calling in this match is my pick for the Worst and Ugliest at the AO

I don't think Kim actually meant to hit that ball so close to the line, but she did misplay it.

Anyway, that's definitely fair to say. They were bad line calls.

I should at least mention that Kim was lucky on her first break point in the 3rd set when a complete mishit of hers somehow landed in the court and then she went on to win the point, starting to turn the momentum. At least that's something. *weak smile*

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 04:58 AM
well now I have another reason I could never be a professional competitive athlete...if I were Justine and went into the locker room and found out all those calls were wrongly against my opponent, I'd feel horrible lol.

And that is the difference between the number 1 player in tennis, and you. Justine doesn't owe anything ot anybody but herself. She won the match today doing everything that she had control over, as well as she could on the day. If there were some linecalls that weren't good, that's not her concern. And it's wrong to think that it should be.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:00 AM
Justine deserves the win but you can't overlook the fact that those line calls could have changed the outcome of the match.

Kim should definitely work on approaching the net by hitting the approach shot down the line. She hits it crosscourt too many times. And she usually does make those swinging volleys. She just tenses up and her play goes down the drain when facing her compatriot.
Could have, would have... we'll never know, so is it really worth discussing? Yeah, they were bad. Shit happens. Justine won. Kim didn't. They'll move on. I certainly hope their fans will do the same.

J. Corwin
01-31-2004, 05:07 AM
Could have, would have... we'll never know, so is it really worth discussing? Yeah, they were bad. Shit happens. Justine won. Kim didn't. They'll move on. I certainly hope their fans will do the same.

Of course shit happens. That's what makes it interesting.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:07 AM
If there are any other heartless bastards out there looking for a good laugh, check out the whiners in the Lleyton forum.... MEOW

Some people would do well to grow up and not blame Kim's FAILURE on other people :)

lsy
01-31-2004, 05:08 AM
what a shame on those calls. Pity for not only Kim but Justine too. Seems like every of her slam win so far is tainted or controversial? I don't think Justine likes it too much to win in this way and I won't say for sure Kim will win if not for those calls.

I hope this won't happen in the men's final. May whoever comes out as the winner be the most deserving one that day.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:09 AM
what a shame on those calls. Pity for not only Kim but Justine too. Seems like every of her slam win so far is tainted or controversial? I don't think Justine likes it too much to win in this way and I won't say for sure Kim will win if not for those calls.

I hope this won't happen in the men's final. May whoever comes out as the winner be the most deserving one that day.
Justine was the most deserving one today :) That's why she won.

lsy
01-31-2004, 05:46 AM
I won't doubt that. I just wish her win won't stir up so many controversy but obviously today's not her fault at all :)

Action Jackson
01-31-2004, 05:48 AM
Of course it was her fault Isy, she had the umpire paid off and made the linespeople have temporary blindness when they were making those calls.

lsy
01-31-2004, 05:52 AM
oh I see...I didn't know about this insider news. Do you know if Roger or Safin had done the same for the coming final?

Action Jackson
01-31-2004, 06:09 AM
You got my joke Isy, which is a good thing.

As for the answer to your second question, the answer is no comment.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 06:13 AM
Of course it was her fault Isy, she had the umpire paid off and made the linespeople have temporary blindness when they were making those calls.
Apaprently the unpire's nationality - French - is somehow relevant to all of this.

DOn't as me to explain it... I'm not the tool who suggested this in the first place.

Sigh... some people are just sooo bitter ;)

Action Jackson
01-31-2004, 06:19 AM
So the umpire being French, allegedly helps Justine because she is a little Walloon, fighting against the big Flemish girl with the whole Aussie crowd behind her. Oh, go the conspiracies.

Bad calls or not, Kim wasn't good enough to win on the day.

Tennis Fool
01-31-2004, 06:26 AM
Wow. I'm glad I fell asleep waiting for this match. Whatever calls may have gone against Kim, did you see her UFEs to Winners stats :eek:

Belgian-Belgian final? Never again.

Ugly: The total UFEs to Winners for all the women's matches since the Rd. of 16.

tennischick
01-31-2004, 11:19 AM
i honestly do not get why beating Justine is such a difficult proposition for the women of the WTA, not just Kim. incredible. i don't think her game is so formidable. once again the women continue to disappoint. not just Kim.

Aurora
01-31-2004, 11:30 AM
It's good to see a women's match (not too long) inbetween the men's, makes you realise how good they are and how great non-error-feast tennis is...

Crazy_Fool
01-31-2004, 11:30 AM
i honestly do not get why beating Justine is such a difficult proposition for the women of the WTA, not just Kim. incredible. i don't think her game is so formidable. once again the women continue to disappoint. not just Kim.
Who then Zuluaga or what? Justine has a beauitful game, up there with the best. Its is very formidable, esp when that backhand gets going!

Experimentee
01-31-2004, 11:34 AM
I've said before the womens tournament this year has been a complete disappointment. Most of the later round matches have been complete blowouts or error filled choke fests. The best matches I saw were in qualifying or early rounds. I hope players like the Williams sisters and Capriati come back soon in full force, or I'm afraid we'll have to endure this for a bit longer.

WyverN
01-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Apaprently the unpire's nationality - French - is somehow relevant to all of this.

Of course I don't think the French ref had anything to do with this but for what its worth Belgium has two main cultures - French and German. Henin is from the French part, Clijster is from the German.

Lady
01-31-2004, 11:45 AM
:woohoo: Justine won! :banana:

Now it's Marat's turn! :kiss:

WyverN
01-31-2004, 11:46 AM
I've said before the womens tournament this year has been a complete disappointment.

Totally agreed. Only been worth it to see Henin play tennis. Women's game desperately needs some Serena v Henin slam finals to spice things up

Experimentee
01-31-2004, 12:26 PM
Of course I don't think the French ref had anything to do with this but for what its worth Belgium has two main cultures - French and German. Henin is from the French part, Clijster is from the German.

Actually, Kim's part is not German, it is Flemish, and they speak Dutch in the Flemish part. ;)

amethyst
01-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Good news that Belgium has a german part now, so maybe we Germans can adopt Kim and so finally have a sucessful female player again ;)
Seriously, I don´t understand why Justine always get´s the beating when Kim simply refuses just to SHOW UP at 2 and a half slam finals? In RG, USO and the first set today she wasn´t there somehow. Still she´s seldom criticized for her lousy performances, because everybody is searching for some incident tu pick on Henin-Hardenne.

KarstenBraasch#1
01-31-2004, 03:14 PM
If there are any other heartless bastards out there looking for a good laugh, check out the whiners in the Lleyton forum.... MEOW

Some people would do well to grow up and not blame Kim's FAILURE on other people :)
I just read some pages there and :o :rolleyes:

I thought that WTAWorld has the most losers, guess I was wrong.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:41 PM
You're one of few who doesn't think her game is very "formidable", heh.

Like her or not, Justine has taken virtually every weakness she had, and transformed it into either a strength, or at the very least, a reliable shot.

What she has done with her game has been very formidable indeed.

joie
01-31-2004, 05:56 PM
You're one of few who doesn't think her game is very "formidable", heh.

Like her or not, Justine has taken virtually every weakness she had, and transformed it into either a strength, or at the very least, a reliable shot.

What she has done with her game has been very formidable indeed.

i must concur ;) she is the ONLY woman, imo, that has improved her game the last year or so---her serve is soooooooo much better and she now gets almost every shot back...which forces the player to hit an extra , shot, usually an error- i sound like pam, stating the obvious, but it's so apparent that she is the one most improved- not to mention, strength- physical & mental, so its no surprise why the other girls/women can't beat her- not too many of them have improved their games..although i didn't see the final, i guess it's good to see that kim didnt' revert to defense only as she does in those big matches, so i guess thats some improvement ;) Do we need to talk about how Venus has not and prolly will never fix that 2nd serve of hers..although it was good to see her at the net more...

TC- i guess when your girl comes back on tour, we'll see how formidable justine really is ;) :wavey:

and yes, women's tennis=boring for me, since last french open, i haven't enjoyed one match really..the men's match-ups are so much better.

I also want to say that i will no longer look forward to the AUS open because every year, i get to see a max of 2 and a half matches and i;m not kidding :(

WyverN
01-31-2004, 10:10 PM
Clijsters is not good enough to beat Henin. It is as simple as that. The level between their games is huge.

Henin choked a bit yesterday, made a lot of double faults. In reality she should have won something like 6-4, 6-3

Tennis Fool
01-31-2004, 10:19 PM
Good: The comeback of Leander Paes :D Great to see him back in the finals with Martina!

Tennis Fool
01-31-2004, 10:20 PM
BTW, why did Martina break up with Svetlana? I thought they made a good pair :confused:

Ma. Estefania
01-31-2004, 11:31 PM
Blah, blah, blah, and blah, the point is that Justine won at the end, whether some people like it or not. :devil:

I'm so glad for her! ;)