Hewitt curse [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt curse

WyverN
01-20-2004, 05:00 AM
I feel sorry for the winner of the Malisse - Kucera clash as it is obvious whoever wins will get injured against Hewitt in the next round.

Gods are smiling on Lleyton as he has had his last 3 opponents withdraw injured/ill.
He better hope it continues for another 6 matches as it is the only way he can win this AO

J. Corwin
01-20-2004, 05:47 AM
poor Cecil

heya
01-20-2004, 05:54 AM
Cecil injured his leg on the umpire chair's located right next to the court.
A few fans laughed...
Potato smirked.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 05:55 AM
It's time that Lleyton himself gets injured! Break the curse Lleyton, come on you can do it :) And if Kucera wins, which he should, he'd better not get injured!

undomiele
01-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Hewitt sold his soul to the devil to be number 1 again. :devil: Thats why all these injuries are happening. :)

FanOfHewitt
01-20-2004, 06:27 AM
Gods are smiling on Lleyton as he has had his last 3 opponents withdraw injured/ill.

All 3 of which he was already beating at the point of injury.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 06:40 AM
All 3 of which he was already beating at the point of injury

Which goes to show that God wanted Lleyton to at least get some practice against players who could hardly walk. That is even worse!

Come on Karol, you can survive Lleyton without an injury! I hope.. :)

WyverN
01-20-2004, 06:43 AM
All 3 of which he was already beating at the point of injury.

He was winning against Karlovic at last years Wimbledon as well and Robredo at French Open and Ferrero at US Open

FanOfHewitt
01-20-2004, 07:19 AM
He was winning against Karlovic at last years Wimbledon as well and Robredo at French Open and Ferrero at US Open

LOL, ok, so should I now start mentioning all the matches where he started off winning and actually ended up winning?

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 07:28 AM
I sincerely hope that Moya and Mamiit get well very soon and that no more players are injured against Lleyton, or for that matter anyone.

I am fascinated by the suggestion that Lleyton is unable to beat a qualifier unless he gets injured. I dare say that's why the top players, let alone the qualifiers, are all so desperate to draw him in early rounds, LOL. Agassi especially is on the record noting Lleyton as an easy target.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 07:36 AM
Well, to qualifiers or not, Hewitt should lose early in the tournament either way :) :p Sorry, FanOfHewitt, I just don't like him. He is cocky, and I don't like his play nor his attitude on court.

oxy
01-20-2004, 07:52 AM
I felt hewitt was not very sporting in his behaviour on court today....when his opponent went down in pain...he did not went over to him...simply just went back to his seat and wait for the injury time call...why can't he show some sporting behaviours like kuerten yesterday......i believed many players would be sporting enough to go over n help n not just goin back to their seats....

honestly speaking i was almost on the verge of liking hewitt again...but his behaviour todae really turns me offf again...he is just too arrogant!!!

oxy
01-20-2004, 07:53 AM
i believed the duck man is more sporting than hewitt!

FanOfHewitt
01-20-2004, 08:04 AM
When Carlos went over on his ankle he did actually go over to the other side of the net on Moya's side in concern.

I'm not sure whether Lleyton went over to Mamiit whilst he was writhing in pain on the ground. But he did have a word to him at the conclusion of the match.

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Are they even allowed to go over before the injured person retires? I thought there were strict rules about not crossing the net. Indeed even the officials have to wait for the trainer before helping the person in any way.

Plus players do have to keep focus on the game in case the injured player can keep playing. Kim was criticised last year for not being able to keep up the same standard after Venus' time out. Imagine the outcry if she'd actually stopped thinking about the match to chat to Venus during that time about whether she was OK!

Lleyton has expressed concern for his hurt opponents at the net and in his interviews after all these matches, which is what any decent player would do, no more and no less.

You know, it's fine to dislike any player you choose but it's at best silly to then proceed to criticise them for totally normal, indeed in some cases required, behaviour. As for saying that Lleyton smirked and the crowd laughed, well I can only assume that was a joke. If that happened I'd be the first to criticise it but I clearly had coverage of an entirely different match!

Pink Panther
01-20-2004, 08:09 AM
I felt hewitt was not very sporting in his behaviour on court today....when his opponent went down in pain...he did not went over to him...simply just went back to his seat and wait for the injury time call...

:rolleyes: He fears that if he walked too close to the injured, the curse will rebound onto him.

oxy
01-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Are they even allowed to go over before the injured person retires? I thought there were strict rules about not crossing the net. Indeed even the officials have to wait for the trainer before helping the person in any way.

for this im not sure....if its so strict why do i see some other players doing that....btw that guy was really in pain n rolling on the floor...i duno how much pain it was but i guess its bad n no one went over to help him...i believed in sportsmanship alot...thus i felt that at that point hewitt should have gone over n help....perhaps im too touched by what schuttler did to ferraira last year...thats truly sportsmanship for me!!

You know, it's fine to dislike any player you choose but it's at best silly to then proceed to criticise them for totally normal, indeed in some cases required, behaviour.

sorry but i don't really see it as a normal behaviour...maybe for u yes but not for me...just my opinion.

As for saying that Lleyton smirked and the crowd laughed, well I can only assume that was a joke. If that happened I'd be the first to criticise it but I clearly had coverage of an entirely different match!

i had the whole coverage n didn't see that too.

tennischick
01-20-2004, 11:28 AM
I felt hewitt was not very sporting in his behaviour on court today....when his opponent went down in pain...he did not went over to him...simply just went back to his seat and wait for the injury time call...why can't he show some sporting behaviours like kuerten yesterday......i believed many players would be sporting enough to go over n help n not just goin back to their seats....

honestly speaking i was almost on the verge of liking hewitt again...but his behaviour todae really turns me offf again...he is just too arrogant!!!
Guga was TOO caring. that's why he almost lost the match yesterday. he was over to the other side of the court before the trainer even got there. for a minute i thought he was going to start massaging the poor sap's leg!

sorry i'm with the Potato on this one. he's not there to be Mother Teresa. he's there to win a match. all caring and concern can be expressed AFTER the match is over.

besides, Mamiit was playing waaaay outside of his range. his injury was not only not a surprise but it also gave him a way to save face.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 12:10 PM
I felt hewitt was not very sporting in his behaviour on court today....when his opponent went down in pain...he did not went over to him...simply just went back to his seat and wait for the injury time call...why can't he show some sporting behaviours like kuerten yesterday......

Players usually do go check on their opponents, and Hewitt does do that sometimes as well, but I cannot help but notice that he does it without being glad that he will win because of the injury. His behaviour is not true to his feelings.

It is a simple fact that Lleyton is not as good a sport as a lot of guys out there.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 12:12 PM
He fears that if he walked too close to the injured, the curse will rebound onto him.

ROFL :) Might be true..

How can you be too caring, by the way? What Kuerten did was good sportsmanship and I respect him for that. So will John and this could possibly effect later matches between the two, in Kuerten's advantage obviously. And I think it is worth something to have friends on the Tour, especially since it is already a tough and probably lonely world out there.

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Well that's fine oxy, we can disagree, but I would point out that JCF didn't cross over to check on Lleyton at the USO last year, yet I still think he's one of the most sporting guys out there and he showed genuine concern afterwards. Maybe they SHOULD cross but most don't.

I'm glad you're all so sure what goes on on in the players' minds. Wish I was that perceptive, LOL!

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Number1Kim, you have the right to defend your favourite as much as we have the right to disagree on his or her behaviour. Judging from what I have seen of Lleyton in real life and on tv, and from what I have read about him, he just does not strike me as a kind-hearted soul when on court. He is there to win, obviously, and that is OK, but I think that he goes a little bit too far. And for his PR it might be better to go to the player during the match instead of at the end of the match.

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Ok, well you're entitled to that opinion too. I'm not here to say Lleyton's the best sport since Arthur Ash or whoever. I don't think he's Pat Rafter or Todd Martin or Magnus Norman who are all exception. I just object to people saying he's done anything outside the normal range of player behavious just because they hate him.

But if it make people happy then good luck to them. Won't effect who wins!

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 12:26 PM
It could, as a matter of fact, effect who wins, if Lleyton's behaviour gets even more dismal. Well a lot more, but still.

In Australia he might be popular, but his cocky behaviour is not very much appreciated in Europe. For instance, if he would treat someone like Raemon Sluiter or Sjeng Schalken in an ill-mannered way, he can be sure of a lack of support in Holland.

I won't go as far as to say I hate Lleyton Hewitt, but I don't like his personality at all and I don't like his play either. That is it. It's not the end of the world, but of the heaps of guys out there on the Tour, and the ones I have met, he will most surely rank among the lowest, when it comes to sympathy and kind-heartedness.

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Well I'm not going to try to change your mind about him during matches on court - it would be a boring world if we all agreed and I guess we all see what we want to, sometimes. But can I just say I've seen him in person with kids, including badly disabled kids and ones with terrible behavious problems, and to them he was one of the kindest people I have ever had the privilege to encounter. So I guess even the worst guy can have his good side!

Anyway, Flip won so I'm going now. Hope you enjoy the Kucera-Hewitt match!!

star
01-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Guga was TOO caring. that's why he almost lost the match yesterday. he was over to the other side of the court before the trainer even got there. for a minute i thought he was going to start massaging the poor sap's leg!

sorry i'm with the Potato on this one. he's not there to be Mother Teresa. he's there to win a match. all caring and concern can be expressed AFTER the match is over.

besides, Mamiit was playing waaaay outside of his range. his injury was not only not a surprise but it also gave him a way to save face.

I agree with you on this one Tennischick.

Maybe everyone would have thought more highly of Lleyton if he had gone over and stood around, but it's not something he should do or is required to do. I've seen it happen both ways.

I did think for a moment...... wow! Pat and Cliffie were talking about how Lleyton wasn't inspiring fear in the locker room any more, and I thought.... "Maybe they should all be VERY afraid." And lauging just because I was being silly. Little did I know that I would find seriousness about it here.

So let's come up with something really more in tune with the sentiments here..... The Aussie Open arranged it just so Mamiit would be hurt! The plan was for Lleyton to hit a shot that would cause Mamiit to run into the umpire's chair AND the chair was especially designed to injury anyone who ran into it. Because the organizers know that the only way Lleyton can win, is for every opponent he plays to drop out.

AND they rigged the draw to put Federer in his draw to get rid of HIM for the entire year because as we all know, Lleyton has NO chance of beating him.

Did I mention that not only did they not reschedule the draw for Moya in order that Lleyton would have no chance of meeting him even in the final (and of course the draw was rigged anyway to put them in opposite halves) but also they arranged it so the Moya would injure himself?

It's one thing not to like a player, it's quite another to engage in some sort of fantasy about him.

FanOfHewitt
01-20-2004, 01:02 PM
It's one thing not to like a player, it's quite another to engage in some sort of fantasy about him.

LOL star, I think the two go pretty much together around here.

star
01-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Evidently.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 02:41 PM
But can I just say I've seen him in person with kids, including badly disabled kids and ones with terrible behavious problems, and to them he was one of the kindest people I have ever had the privilege to encounter. So I guess even the worst guy can have his good side!

I didn't say anything about his off court personality, really. On court he is all fired up and that is a good thing, but I just think he takes that a bit too seriously. I am sure he can be really nice off court and I would by no means call him the worst guy. Even Jana Novotna, whom I never considered to have a great on-court personality either, can be really nice off court.

Lady
01-20-2004, 03:31 PM
But Lleyton did went to check Carlos immediately after Carlos fell on the floor!
Maybe he respect Carlos more them mammit ;) :p

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Possibly, but still that does not make me approve of his behaviour towards Mamiit.

star
01-20-2004, 03:49 PM
That's ok. I have no problem with that. I just have a problem with the fantasy. :)

TheBoiledEgg
01-20-2004, 04:48 PM
PotatoMan has been illegally tampering with his opponents Peelers :mad: :fiery:

Karol wears some ankle protection,but he better beware ;)

TheBoiledEgg
01-20-2004, 04:52 PM
this is what Potato has resorted to

Hewitt has now needed just under four sets in total to win his past three matches – a precious advantage on a compact circuit noted for its capacity to test even the supremely fit.

He was dominating Dutchman Martin Verkerk in the adidas International semi-final when the French Open finalist succumbed to illness.

Carlos Moya was the next to fall victim to the plague of ankle injuries on Rebound Ace when he buckled on his right leg when trailing 3-4 (15-40) on Hewitt's serve in the final.

Hewitt will face Slovakian Karol Kucera tomorrow, for the third time in three weeks.

"It's going to be a tough match," Hewitt said of the former world No. 6. "Last week was a bit of a weird match from 0-4 down, then winning 6-3 6-1. :eek: :o ???

"He's a tough player, smart player out there. He moves the ball around well. He moves extremely well. He's got a pretty good serve on him as well. He uses the angles of the court well and goes for the lines a lot.

"I've got to go out there and play my game. We had a tough match in Perth [Hopman Cup], where I got through in three sets. It's no easy match."

Hewitt has won two of three matches with Kucera, who yesterday beat Belgian Xavier Malisse 6-2 6-3 6-4.

TheBoiledEgg
01-20-2004, 04:57 PM
another Aussie article

Karol Kucera should take particular care tomorrow, strap his ankles and avoid large, heavy objects near courtside. Kucera, you see, is playing Lleyton Hewitt.

American Cecil Mamiit yesterday became the third consecutive player to default to Hewitt, following the strange hexed pattern established by Carlos Moya (ankle) and Martin Verkerk (dizziness) in the finals and semi-finals in Sydney last week.

Kucera can console himself that while he hasn't beaten Hewitt in two recent encounters - this will be their third meeting in three weeks - at least he has completed the matches.

Mamiit ran into the imposing central umpire's chair chasing a cute Hewitt drop shot. He went down, clutching his right lower leg and writhed on the court before the trainers temporarily revived his ankle/shin via a spray and wrap job, only for him to default after one hobbling service game (which he won).

While he didn't wish Mamiit ill, Hewitt was pleased to progress with a minimum of energy expended. "Your first match in your home grand slam is always tough, I think. To come through, not waste too much energy and be through to the next round, that's nice," he said.

It could not be said, however, that Hewitt was the beneficiary of his opponent's misfortune, since he was, in his words, "in control of the match nearly every point" (6-2, 6-4) before the diminutive American crashed into the chair. With a lead of two sets to love - Hewitt took the second set on the fateful drop shot - the Australian was headed for a straight sets quickee when Mamiit quit.

Hewitt, accustomed to relying on speed, energy and his renowned mental edge against larger men, was in the unusual position of having a significant size - and power - advantage over the 173cm Mamiit.

"It doesn't happen that much, I guess," said the Australian of his greater size.

Hewitt, thus, was able to road test his "more aggressive" game plan against the little guy. "It felt like . . . unless he got off to, you know, put a good serve in and he could dictate play from then, it felt like I was able to dominate.

"It's something I've been working on in my game, to try and get more aggressive in that."

Hewitt has stated his desire to win, rather than "save" matches. As a bulldog with an enervating style, he clearly understands the importance of energy conservation.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/20/1074360766096.html

Ma. Estefania
01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
LOL to the curse. :)

About Hewitt's "not caring" attitude, I mean....it's his decision afterwards....though I don't approve the fact he didn't even go to see if his opponent was ok....

tangerine_dream
01-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Rebound Ace + Lleyton's presence = injuries for everyone else.

Even Venus twisted her ankle last night, that's how powerful Lleyton's curse is. ;)

Ma. Estefania
01-20-2004, 05:15 PM
LOL. ;)

tennischick
01-21-2004, 01:17 AM
this is gonna sound heartless but i just saw a clip of the moment again (Mamiit bashing himself into the Chair), and as he started writhing on the ground i found myself having flashbacks of Ronaldhino's incredible performances at World Cup last year.

anyone has any news on the latest on Cecil's injury? can he walk today? is he playing doubles by any chance?

JeLuliA88
01-21-2004, 01:23 AM
Hmmm... it's quite unfair that Hewitt goes through to the next round without playing a whole match, i hope he's the one getting injured next time... i know that's not very nice but i just don't like him.

Hispanica
01-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Well, every player is different in his attitude on court..

But I like the expression "the curse"... pretty funny.

And of course players are allowed to help injured players on the court... remember french Open when Schuettler helped Ferreira.

Chloe le Bopper
01-21-2004, 02:58 AM
I don't see what Hewitt did wrong, either than being a lucky tit. It was clear thta Mamiit was about to BRING. IT. ON.

Um, anyways...

If Hewitt does this to anybody I like - which would be his next opponent, and potentially his third - I might wish death upon him. Since he's clearly doing this on purpose.

You've been warned.

Leo
01-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Hewitt didn't need to go over to the other side of the court; the chair umpire was taking care of Cecil before the trainers arrived.

I love Karol, but he needs to lose this next match. For the good of the tournament. ;)

WyverN
01-21-2004, 05:45 AM
I love Karol, but he needs to lose this next match. For the good of the tournament. ;)

About even chance against Karol for Hewitt but he will go down to Nadal almost certainly

WyverN
01-21-2004, 05:47 AM
LOL, ok, so should I now start mentioning all the matches where he started off winning and actually ended up winning?

eh?
You were inferring just because Hewitt was winning on all 3 occasions he had no chance of losing the match

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 05:54 AM
Even Venus twisted her ankle last night, that's how powerful Lleyton's curse is.

Goes to show that the curse might actually have its good sides too :)

I love Karol, but he needs to lose this next match. For the good of the tournament.

Well, that is personal, isn't it :) For the good of the tournament for me personally, Lleyton needs to lose :) But I don't see Karol winning this match, unfortunately. Hopefully he can keep up a bit, but that will be tough enough..

rogicomel
01-21-2004, 06:04 AM
If the curse continues for the whole year, Hewitt's gonna win every single tourney he plays!

Lisbeth
01-21-2004, 06:29 AM
Except there won't be any tournaments because all the decent players will be out with injury after a while ...

Anyway LOL@ all the funny comments and I have everything crossed that the curse has ended.

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 06:40 AM
If the curse continues for the whole year, Hewitt's gonna win every single tourney he plays!

Might be a good idea.. That means that players will avoid the tourneys Lleyton plays, so that the tourneys are cancelled and Lleyton gets no points. Yay!

FanOfHewitt
01-21-2004, 07:25 AM
eh?
You were inferring just because Hewitt was winning on all 3 occasions he had no chance of losing the match

By bringing up the fact that Hewitt's opponents have been getting injured you were inferring that the only reason he has been winning is because others have been getting hurt.

I mentioned that he was winning all those matches at the point of injury because the most likely outcome was that he would win regardless.

Then you brought up that he lost 3 matches whilst being in front inferring that he would have most likely lost these 3 matches too had injury not occurred. And that's just bullshit.

By far the majority of matches where Hewitt has been in front he has gone on to win. So your implication that the only reason he has been winning is because others are getting hurt is on the whole foundationless.

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 07:44 AM
I mentioned that he was winning all those matches at the point of injury because the most likely outcome was that he would win regardless.

As I have said before, it is not that hard to win a match, when your opponent is already not in a very good condition. This is, self-evidently, not appliable to Cecil Mamiit, since his injury was an accident. However, Verkerk and Moya were physically not ok and it is, thus, a useless comment to say that he was winning the matches anyway, when his opponents retired. Usually a player tends to at least try to stay in the match, when is isn't feeling that well.

FanOfHewitt
01-21-2004, 07:55 AM
As I have said before, it is not that hard to win a match, when your opponent is already not in a very good condition. This is, self-evidently, not appliable to Cecil Mamiit, since his injury was an accident. However, Verkerk and Moya were physically not ok and it is, thus, a useless comment to say that he was winning the matches anyway, when his opponents retired. Usually a player tends to at least try to stay in the match, when is isn't feeling that well.

What was wrong with Moya? Wasn't he meant to be on the roll of his life coming into the Adidas International final? Nevertheless he found himself in trouble BEFORE the injury set in.

I'm not sure about whether Verkerk was feeling diziness for the vast majority of the first set where he had already gone down a couple of breaks before the rain delay. If he was already sick then ok, Hewitt should get no credit for establishing a lead over him.

Anyway Hewitt is on an 11 or 12 match winning streak now, and pretty soon the excuses and rationalisations for why he is winning have got to stop. I just hope that Kucera or Nadal don't happen to play above themselves and spoil a Federer Hewitt rematch. I think Hewitt can take him again.

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Verkerk stated that he felt ill even before the match. He also had diarrhea that morning. And I am not too sure about this, but I think that Moya wasn´t in too good a shape, physically, either. I am not attacking Lleyton, I am just stating some facts. That´s about it.

I do hope Kucera plays ´above´ himself, because that would be an extremely high level, really. He can do very well and if he plays his best, that should suffise in order to beat Hewitt. He hasn´t played his best for years, though hehe. But I agree, Federer against Hewitt would be fun to watch.

WyverN
01-21-2004, 12:08 PM
I just hope that Kucera or Nadal don't happen to play above themselves and spoil a Federer Hewitt rematch. I think Hewitt can take him again.

All I was saying is that Hewitt has been lucky in the sense that he might well have lost those matches if the opponent did not get injured.

Your right about Kucera and Nadal playing above themselves - afterall with Hewitt's game as soon as a lesser player steps it up Lleyton finds himself in a bit of trouble.

As for your Federer-Hewitt rematch opinion, it is biased so almost irrelevant.

I think Nadal will beat him, bigger power of both sides and a future star.

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 12:23 PM
I hope Nadal beats him ;) But I hope Kucera beats him first, lol ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Nadal couldn't close out Hrbaty in New Zealand, so I'm not quite sure he's ready to do so with Hewitt. It'd be nice, but I'm not holding up any hopes. His next match might be tough anyways.

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Well I always have hope :) I have no expectations, though..

star
01-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Go Lleyton :yippee:

FanOfHewitt
01-21-2004, 01:50 PM
All I was saying is that Hewitt has been lucky in the sense that he might well have lost those matches if the opponent did not get injured.

Your right about Kucera and Nadal playing above themselves - afterall with Hewitt's game as soon as a lesser player steps it up Lleyton finds himself in a bit of trouble.

As for your Federer-Hewitt rematch opinion, it is biased so almost irrelevant.

I think Nadal will beat him, bigger power of both sides and a future star.

Yeah I admit, Hewitt struggles against almost anyone who steps it up. But he also usually beats them.

LOL, speaking about almost irrelevant opinions, you'd back almost anyone to beat a 22 year old guy with 20 career titles. I'd rather be "biased" and back someone who has already accomplished so much in his young career.

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Meow! Cat fight coming up?

WyverN
01-21-2004, 02:06 PM
LOL, speaking about almost irrelevant opinions, you'd back almost anyone to beat a 22 year old guy with 20 career titles.

Not everyone, most people in the top 20. I give a good chance of most dangerous floaters of beating him as long as they raise their game.

FanOfHewitt
01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Not everyone, most people in the top 20. I give a good chance of most dangerous floaters of beating him as long as they raise their game.

I wonder if there is a player with a better record agaisnt the top twenty players than Hewitt out there at the moment. I'd give dangerous floaters a chance of causing an upset against anyone when they raise their game.

WyverN
01-21-2004, 02:13 PM
I'd give give everyone in the top 20 a good chance of beating anyone when they raise their game. Same goes for dangerous floaters.

Well that is your opinion. I don't see how you can honestly say Agassi and Roddick are as likely to lose to a top 20 player playing above themselves as Hewitt on this surface.

FanOfHewitt
01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Well that is your opinion. I don't see how you can honestly say Agassi and Roddick are as likely to lose to a top 20 player playing above themselves as Hewitt on this surface.

Well take last year for example. If El Aynaoui had played like he did against Lleyton against Roddick or Agassi do you think they both would have won? Younes didn't play half as good against Roddick as he did against Lleyton, and still took him to the brink.

If anything Hewitt is more susceptible to losing to players outside the top 20. Within it, I think he fares as well as anyone against the cream of the crop.

Chloe le Bopper
01-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Somewhat unrelated... but since when has Hewitt doing well before the Australian Open EVER been a factor in his result at that particular grand slam? He's won how many tuneups in Australia? 5? 6? He's made how many quarters in the Grand Slam? It's rather ridiculous, really. Imagine Roddick having never been past the fourth round at the USO!

I'm not saying he won't finally do it this time. I just find it curious how confident some people are of him, despite that glaring record.

Havok
01-21-2004, 07:42 PM
I always find that extremely funny. Mark and Lleyton not being able to get past the 4th round of their home Slam. i hope they can finally do it sometime in their career, otherwise it would be a shame, but funny as well:haha:

Chloe le Bopper
01-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Mark makes a bit more sense than Hewitt... but not a lot more ;)

WyverN
01-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Somewhat unrelated... but since when has Hewitt doing well before the Australian Open EVER been a factor in his result at that particular grand slam? He's won how many tuneups in Australia? 5? 6? He's made how many quarters in the Grand Slam? It's rather ridiculous, really. Imagine Roddick having never been past the fourth round at the USO!

I'm not saying he won't finally do it this time. I just find it curious how confident some people are of him, despite that glaring record.

Good point. Especially considering the calibre of opposition he has been losing to hasn't exactly been impressive.

If you see the amount of effort Hewitt puts in at these tune ups it is clear why he wins a lot of them. I have never seen so much fist pumping and screaming at a tune up from anyone, let alone a two time grand slam champion. Nothing wrong with that of course ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Well, it goes without saying how much I LOVE his behavior.

Leo
01-22-2004, 01:03 AM
About even chance against Karol for Hewitt but he will go down to Nadal almost certainly

Nadal is currently losing his match 4-6, 6-3, 3-1 to Ascione (who?), with 0 aces to 3 doubles and almost twice as many unforced as winners. :tape: Are you still so sure he's going to beat Hewitt in the next round?

WyverN
01-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Nadal is currently losing his match 4-6, 6-3, 3-1 to Ascione (who?), with 0 aces to 3 doubles and almost twice as many unforced as winners. :tape: Are you still so sure he's going to beat Hewitt in the next round?

if nadal was hitting twice as many winners as unforced errors and losing then i would be worried.
And ascione is a promising youngster himself

WyverN
01-22-2004, 01:53 AM
by the way Nadal just took the 3rd set

WyverN
01-22-2004, 02:17 AM
and the 4th 6-1