Saulnier upsets no.5 seed Coria [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Saulnier upsets no.5 seed Coria

trixy
01-20-2004, 02:37 AM
7-6(7) 6-2 6-4.

Wow im suprised. I didnt expect Coria to win the whole thing but a first round defeat. That makes 3 of the top ten seeds out already.

MisterQ
01-20-2004, 02:39 AM
:eek:

in straight sets?!

jrm
01-20-2004, 02:44 AM
Good news since i don't like Coria!

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 02:46 AM
It's the AO..... anything can happen!

Havok
01-20-2004, 02:47 AM
ouch!

WyverN
01-20-2004, 03:54 AM
Schuettler and Coria gone - I am gasping for air with surprise. ;)

Refer to the threads where I predicted both of them will not be in top 10 at the end of 2004 and yes I am well aware that Coria is injured and most expect him to blitz the clay season

undomiele
01-20-2004, 03:55 AM
It was agony watching it happen. Oh well at least this loss won't burden his ranking much and Im sure his injuries had a lot to do with the loss. But I understand Salnier played pretty well soooo what can I say? Better luck next time --the next time being the French Open of course :)

Now its Nalbandian or bust.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 05:03 AM
This is good news indeed, jrm! That a player such as Saulnier beats him, is astonishing, but good :) Better than Gaudio beating Robredo, for sure :(

Scotso
01-20-2004, 05:04 AM
:sad:

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 05:10 AM
Did Coria show residual effects of his injury? Was he out of shape? Or was he just outplayed?

J. Corwin
01-20-2004, 06:45 AM
I'm not shocked at the result considering Coria's injury. But I guess I expected him to win this one, or at least make it more competitive.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 06:57 AM
Even a slightly injured Coria would have, in my opinion, beaten a player like Saulnier. That he lost in straight sets really is shocking, although it is understandable that he is not yet in top condition.

*Ljubica*
01-20-2004, 07:07 AM
Did Coria show residual effects of his injury? Was he out of shape? Or was he just outplayed?

From what I saw of the match on TV (which wasn't all of it), Saulnier played extremely well, - Coria seemed distracted and never seemed to get into it. Don't know whether the injury was bothering him - it didn't appear to be - but he was certainly moaning and whingeing a lot. He used to be a great favourite of mine, but lately I have to say I'm not too keen on his attitude - he seemed to be questioning everything, and also didn't seem to be very "warm" towards Saulnier at the handshake at the end. Maybe he really was hurt and not saying anything.

Jazzy
01-20-2004, 09:26 AM
OMG , he's the highest seed gone :sad:

Action Jackson
01-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Hahahahaha Coria is gone, and I can't say I am disappointed at all. I didn't see the match as I was watching other ones, but since I had one of my Argentine friends there, his analysis was Saulnier played very well and Coria was ordinary and when he was training during the week, he didn't seem to bothered with the injury.

Rosie, why are you surprised at his attitude? Nah, I didn't think you were. I am enjoying it here and I will leave Wyver to run wild in my absence.

CooCooCachoo, Tommy at least has the doubles, it was fun seeing him get smashed as well.

tennischick
01-20-2004, 10:37 AM
i watched this match. Saulnier started off playing well but the first set came down to two tight points one of which Coria squandered and the other Saulnier outright won.

that gave Saulnier a LOT of confidence and after that he just started hitting out, blasting away at every ball. it worked. i think that Coria expected him to start slumping -- it's hard to keep hitting out set after set -- but Saulnier never did. he just got more and more confident.

Coria started clucthing his stomach late in the second set. but i don't believe that his injury was a major factor. i think that Saulnier's aggressive style of play is what counted most for the outcome.

of course the shitty part is that Saulnier is probaby spent and will fold like a wet napkin to his next opponent. grrrrrrr....

jorisv
01-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Looking at the stats of Mutis-Arazi, I think Saulnier has got good probabilities to reach the third round. It seems Mutis made a lot of errors, and I think Arazi is a similar but worse player compared to Coria.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 11:04 AM
George, I don't think Tommy will do well in doubles, do the honest :( What do you have against him?

Lady
01-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Guillermo was affected by an injury, I noticed it even in the 1st set, when Guille was leading!
It's possible to play with this injury, just remember Venus last year, but this does affect the serve the most!

Still if Soulnier played worse then he did, Guillermo would win, so all props to him ;)

TennisLurker
01-20-2004, 02:49 PM
CooCooCachoo, I think George just likes Gaudio more than Rrobredo.

Ma. Estefania
01-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Coria seemed distracted and never seemed to get into it.

There's the point. I watched the whole match expecting Guille to react, but it never happened, after the loss of the tiebreak at the 1st set, Guille got more frustrated and upset, and he never did anything to impose his game, honestly I can't say Saulnier played well, but he was clever to impose his game and not leave Guille to do what he wanted.

About the injury, I didn't see anything that could be taken as that he was bothered for it, though he seemed very upset and uncomfortable, but I'm not sure if it was the injury because he never even touched his stomach or near it.

Anyway it's so sad to see him out, I didn't have high hopes for him due the last problems, but well..... :o :sad:

tangerine_dream
01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Aww. Poor Guille. I'm sorry, star. :sad: