Why Andy [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why Andy

partygirl
06-19-2006, 11:00 PM
I suppose it's an inevitable question...

I thought it would be interesting to ask why still/now are you here?
-seeing as he is a popular guy with loads of support why do you still believe?

i asked myself this question last night and could'nt really come up with one reason or answer as to why i really enjoyed Andy, especially this year...
but I have plenty of answers for the past.

-superficial answer's don't count- :)

is the past the biggest part of your appreciation for Andy and why you continue to hang on or do you see a future worth waiting for?
I guess the one thing i can say is: "he is easy to expect greatness from."

It is hard from time to time to hold such hope and belief in something with no reason, or very little...presenting itself

*i couldnt see myself caring for/supporting a player more than i do Andy :angel:

williaer
06-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Everything I love about Andy isn't really being seen right now, but I just can't imagine Andy going through his career without getting out of this slump.
The reasons why I do love him:

- His game is exciting, I love to see his firing aces and punishing forehands.
- His attitude is "Come get me... I can take it allllll" and is ultra confident and cocky.
- His personality - he's funny, caring and fan-friendly.
- He has so much talent. He's been given a gift (that's his serve) and obviously has so much talent and potential... and I'll be sticking round as a fan until I see him reach his potential.

Right now, I'm not seeing many of these things in him - but I'm still sticking round as a fan because I know he will get out of this slump, it's only a matter of time. Someone this talented isn't just going to go away. He'll get his 'mojo back' and will be back into the swing of things.

Like I said in the 'Andy articles' thread, sometimes I think I'm too hard on him. He's trying his best and it must just be breaking his heart to see that all the work isn't paying off. He doesn't owe me/us anything - and sometimes I feel somewhat... let down (for want of a better word) when he loses, but you've got to realise... if I feel bad about a loss... imagine how bad HE would feel - trying so hard but just not getting anywhere.

He'll be back with a vengence. It's just a matter of time.

partygirl
06-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Everything I love about Andy isn't really being seen right now
I guess in a way that's why i pose this question.
i feel like i know the moment for me when this andy birthed, at least in my perspective :o
(04' masters vs. hewitt)

Deboogle!.
06-19-2006, 11:24 PM
(04' masters vs. hewitt)04 USO vs. Johansson.

i'll answer the questions later, gotta think about it.

partygirl
06-19-2006, 11:33 PM
04 USO vs. Johansson.

I think it took me a month or 2 longer to notice, i mean REALLY
-you see i used to be forgiving:lol::fiery::rolls:

Deboogle!.
06-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Well right, but in hindsight, I think that's where things changed.

tennis lover
06-19-2006, 11:46 PM
mine are pretty much the same as willaer's. I've just always loved Andy. My reasons are:

-I know he's not the most naturally gifted player but he's still made it to the top through hard work and determination.
-I love that he isn't afraid to show emotion.
-I don't often get to see his matches but whenever I do I get really excited, it's not like that for any other player. (You should have seen me at the Wimbledon final last year!)
-I love his personality (well, what I've seen of it), he just seems like a really nice, down-to-earth guy.
-I love that he really tries hard to do his bit for charity.

I think it's just Andy as a whole really that makes me support him. I too know that he'll be back in form at some point and whenever he is, I'll still be there supporting him. As Party Girl said, I can't see myself ever supporting anyone more than Andy, he'll always be my number 1! :)

rofe
06-19-2006, 11:49 PM
04 USO vs. Johansson.

i'll answer the questions later, gotta think about it.

I think you are right but it is interesting that you brought up that match. I was actually rooting for Pim-Pim in that match because I found his style of play refreshing as well and I thought it would be good for Pim-Pim as the underdog to win it. Oh, how times change. :sad:

Deboogle!.
06-19-2006, 11:52 PM
I think you are right but it is interesting that you brought up that match. I was actually rooting for Pim-Pim in that match because I found his style of play refreshing as well and I thought it would be good for Pim-Pim as the underdog to win it. Oh, how times change. :sad:Well at the time I don't think anyone actually thought it would be the start of a really long extended slump :( But he really has not been the same player since that match :( I know a lot of people point to the Wimby final before then as maybe the start, and maybe so, except that he played some exquisite tennis in summer of 04 before that USO match...

cobalt60
06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
There are loads of players that have game so that's not what it is about for me. When I started watching tennis again in 2003 it was some bizarre twists that brought me to watch 2 players. I stuck around with them because they had game but more for the comraderie involved in following them. James Blake and Andy were 3 and 4 for their game and personalities. Now they are 1 and 2 for singles players. A sense of humor and humility is key for me. And I personally feel that many of the posters who post here are some of the nicest and mature folks on this board.

surfpinky
06-20-2006, 01:56 AM
becuz hes so freekin hawt!1!1

partygirl
06-20-2006, 02:04 AM
becuz hes so freekin hawt!1!1
Duh01

Fumus
06-20-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't know anymore. If it wasn't for Deb, and the rest of you guys I would have given up completely watching him completely. Honestly, I like watching Nadal more than Andy nowadays...but, Andy is still my number 1 fav just because he is the guy that got me into pro-tennis and is really the first player I ever started watching. I saw him in that powerade commerical and then I was following him pretty closely through the 02' uso. I watched the Chela match live on TV and after that, he's been my guy.

Deboogle!.
06-20-2006, 03:09 PM
okay, so the question is why am I STILL here? I have asked myself this a lot lately :lol: And what makes me kind of sad is that every time he has a stupid loss, I care just a little bit less.

But Andy's personality reminds me of me, the sacrasm, dry humor, self-depracation. It's my kind of humor. Andy would be that fun person I'd love to just hang out and have a good time with. And he's pretty much still got that, so I still love that about him.

I think the first time I actually saw him was in 2002 on Craig Kilborn and I was like, wow this kid is funny. To that point, my interest in tennis was mostly the older American guys - Pete, Andre, Courier. I only watched the slams, etc. Just like any casual sports fan I guess - when I saw it on I caught it, but I didn't search the tv listings or anything.

So 2003 rolls around and I see this guy again, at Wimbledon. but I didn't really pay that much attention - all I remember is that I was home and I told my dad I didn't wanna know the results since they were showing it taped. (That was when I didn't care enough to be able to do that :haha: ) And then I started seeing him win all summer long, I saw the Montreal match against Fed, the match against Mardy in Cincy, etc. and of course then the USO which I followed the whole way pretty closely.

So what really got me to the point today, is watching him play and that fire and passion and spunk and the big huge game. And it's those things that are not there as much anymore. I'd like to think they're not gone forever, but we're going on well over a year now, almost 2 even, so it's like, if they don't come back soon, if the things that got me to support him and stuff are gone forever, if he's not that player anymore, at some point i'm going to just stop caring - not on purpose, but I just know it will happen.

So I think what's keeping me on at this point is the hope that he will recover it, and the periodic glimpses of the big serves and forehands and spunky on court personality that he shows once in a great while - it gives me hope that all those things I was drawn to are still there somewhere.

blosson
06-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I started paying attention to Andy during Wimbledon 2004 - one of his very funny post match interviews did the job. :lol:
He was very strong and confident then. Good old times. I'm still waiting for his return.

merce
06-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I loved Andy since the very beginning, i remember the 1st time i saw him in the French Open against Lleyton Hewitt and he had to retire because got injured throughout the match. The audience gave him a standing ovation as he walked out of the court. It was pretty remarkable.
I'm a bit sad to see he's not been getting good results this year, but his got a great personality and attitude that i'm sure will get him out of this slump.

rofe
06-20-2006, 06:21 PM
But you will still be drawn by Andy's witty interviews, right? :p

okay, so the question is why am I STILL here? I have asked myself this a lot lately :lol: And what makes me kind of sad is that every time he has a stupid loss, I care just a little bit less.

But Andy's personality reminds me of me, the sacrasm, dry humor, self-depracation. It's my kind of humor. Andy would be that fun person I'd love to just hang out and have a good time with. And he's pretty much still got that, so I still love that about him.

I think the first time I actually saw him was in 2002 on Craig Kilborn and I was like, wow this kid is funny. To that point, my interest in tennis was mostly the older American guys - Pete, Andre, Courier. I only watched the slams, etc. Just like any casual sports fan I guess - when I saw it on I caught it, but I didn't search the tv listings or anything.

So 2003 rolls around and I see this guy again, at Wimbledon. but I didn't really pay that much attention - all I remember is that I was home and I told my dad I didn't wanna know the results since they were showing it taped. (That was when I didn't care enough to be able to do that :haha: ) And then I started seeing him win all summer long, I saw the Montreal match against Fed, the match against Mardy in Cincy, etc. and of course then the USO which I followed the whole way pretty closely.

So what really got me to the point today, is watching him play and that fire and passion and spunk and the big huge game. And it's those things that are not there as much anymore. I'd like to think they're not gone forever, but we're going on well over a year now, almost 2 even, so it's like, if they don't come back soon, if the things that got me to support him and stuff are gone forever, if he's not that player anymore, at some point i'm going to just stop caring - not on purpose, but I just know it will happen.

So I think what's keeping me on at this point is the hope that he will recover it, and the periodic glimpses of the big serves and forehands and spunky on court personality that he shows once in a great while - it gives me hope that all those things I was drawn to are still there somewhere.

Deboogle!.
06-20-2006, 06:25 PM
But you will still be drawn by Andy's witty interviews, right? :pSigh, yes. But I am drawn by other people's witty interviews too, and I don't care as much about their results. Marat for example, I like him (in large part for his witty interviews and overall personality) and want him to win and whatnot, but I don't *care* if that makes sense. The die-hard Marat fans are a highly impressive bunch and have to be very resilient. I don't think I am resilient enough to handle that, and Andy's creeping in that direction :(

rofe
06-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Sigh, yes. But I am drawn by other people's witty interviews too, and I don't care as much about their results. Marat for example, I like him (in large part for his witty interviews and overall personality) and want him to win and whatnot, but I don't *care* if that makes sense. The die-hard Marat fans are a highly impressive bunch and have to be very resilient. I don't think I am resilient enough to handle that, and Andy's creeping in that direction :(

I hear you but in Marat's case it is different. He can be a mental case and not win matches he should have won easily and then suddenly get it together and win a TMS and a GS. If Roddick starts his free fall, I don't expect him to come back like Marat does. In a way, being Marat's fan is much easier because you can always hope that he will win. His losses don't affect him that much unlike Roddick.

Deboogle!.
06-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I hear you but in Marat's case it is different. He can be a mental case and not win matches he should have won easily and then suddenly get it together and win a TMS and a GS. If Roddick starts his free fall, I don't expect him to come back like Marat does. In a way, being Marat's fan is much easier because you can always hope that he will win. His losses don't affect him that much unlike Roddick.Great, so it's gonna be even harder to stick with Andy than it is for Marat's diehard fans to stick with him. :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

blosson
06-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Deb, who's your second in line player if not Andy? Blake?

knight_ley
06-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I like Andy cuz he is neat.

Deboogle!.
06-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Deb, who's your second in line player if not Andy? Blake?mardyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

partygirl
06-20-2006, 10:37 PM
i did'nt start this as a positive or negative thread...
I kind of started it out of numbness, in reading everyone's answers im surprised how positive it makes me feel about Andyfanning right now:)

blosson
06-20-2006, 11:00 PM
mardyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

OMG, there is no hope then. I know you are a strong girl and can survive the tiny pics and deep ravines of these 2 players. I would have someone like Roger or Rafa as a back up just in case. :lol:

blosson
06-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I like Andy cuz he is neat.

and you like kiwi because he's meat? :p

williaer
06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Oh and I forgot the main reason that made me an Andy fan...
2003 Australian Open QF match... after watching it, how COULDN'T you love Andy? The way he played that match just *sigh*. I wasn't a tennis fan before then (in fact I don't think I'd ever seen a whole match) but I watched that entire match on the edge of the couch screaming for Andy to win.
I'm yet to see him play with that heart and emotion again.

Deboogle!.
06-20-2006, 11:38 PM
OMG, there is no hope then. I know you are a strong girl and can survive the tiny pics and deep ravines of these 2 players. I would have someone like Roger or Rafa as a back up just in case. :lol:but the difference is that I expect mardy to be a mental midget most of the time, whereas Andy surprises me. Even now, it surprises me when he comes out and plays shitty and stupid and whatever. Because i know he can do better. Mardy, I don't know he can do better.

tennis lover
06-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Oh and I forgot the main reason that made me an Andy fan...
2003 Australian Open QF match... after watching it, how COULDN'T you love Andy? The way he played that match just *sigh*. I wasn't a tennis fan before then (in fact I don't think I'd ever seen a whole match) but I watched that entire match on the edge of the couch screaming for Andy to win.
I'm yet to see him play with that heart and emotion again.
I never got to see that match due to crappy tv coverage. :sad: Is there a torrent of it or anything? I'd love to see it! :)

knight_ley
06-21-2006, 02:32 AM
and you like kiwi because he's meat? :p

:haha: among other things... ;)

partygirl
06-21-2006, 02:46 AM
I lik ande cause he got de full lip & fullazz i liketo like0101010 :p 001101
:haha:

I never got to see the 2003 Australian Open QF match either :sad:
dont know if i ever will :mad:

I've been thinking i might re watch the 2003 US open final just to remember what good form looks like on an unstopable, consistant roddick. :cool:

williaer
06-21-2006, 09:17 AM
I've got the video in 3 parts on my computer (really good quality)... It's 2.04GB in total... I might be able to upload if you'd like?

Caren
06-21-2006, 11:55 AM
If i'm going to honestly answer that question the answer would be i don't know :confused: . I began my interest in Andy during Wimbledon 2004, before that i'd more or less or just been interested in thw WTA but Andy got my interested in the men's game. Then he struck me as a really funny guy, good sesne of humour and someone who fought.

It was the fighting spirit that got me interested and i just feel now, especially after watching the Blake match on Saturday most of that fighting spirit is gone, i just can't get the image of him not running for that dropshot in the second set :mad:

I mean i'll never like another player as much as i like Andy, even when i'm so disappointed with his results in torunaments i'm still running to check the results. During the summer i'm up to 4am on livescore god sake, if thats not commitment then i don't know what is. Or maybe i'm just insane... :rolleyes:

tennis lover
06-21-2006, 05:18 PM
I've got the video in 3 parts on my computer (really good quality)... It's 2.04GB in total... I might be able to upload if you'd like?
the AO qf match? that would be amazing, as long as it's not too much trouble for you! :D

heya
06-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Even when he won the 5 titles in 2003 with Gilbert, Andy was
getting complacent and lazy with the serve and macho, arrogant negative
attitude.

Andy can see that he has to get stronger and more
match tough. No one cares except the fans.
He should be winning 8-11 titles a year with great fitness and
real scheduling. The competition level in the 2000s is crap compared to the 1980s and early 1990s. They're using better rackets and only 2 players can save match points and win more than 3 titles? Andy is so weak, he can't even win 5 straight matches. It's not what a counselor can correct for him.

-Andy has no one worth practicing with.
This created disasters for 3 years.
Everyone got fitter and Andy got out of shape and couldn't stand with balance.
He pretends he's tries his best, but he doesn't. His face and body language can't hide
the anguish in his eyes and careless serving/immature clapping + talking.
Fans have to realize this.
The brother and mother admitted they let him do everything on court.
They say the usual "things are improving" garbage.

-Andy can be a drama queen to explain away his losses to Federer, Agassi, Hewitt, etc.

-No one told him to stop overreacting to wins over the top players.
He couldn't admit things weren't turning around in the perfect direction
even with the win over Hewitt. He certainly didn't care too much in Australia and Indian Wells. Andy WOULD HAVE trophies from 2001 USO, 2004 Wimbledon
and 2005 Australian Open, but he DID not try that hard.

-He had very poor flexibility and pretended his ball bashing and personality WOULD somehow GIVE HIM EFFECTIVE SERVES. :o Instead of working on it, he sat back and relaxed.

Example: he knew he could beat Safin, but only cared about serving hard
in the 2004 Australian Open quarterfinal.
The trouble started when Brad Gilbert sat back and told Andy how wonderful it was to serve risky 155-160 mph. Andy stopped working on
his serve placement, eating habit and fitness (October 2003).
The Roddicks pressed him to do more media and charity work.
The passion for work ended ever since October 2003, when he showed up with no
footwork or serve in Madrid. :rolleyes:

Sad predicament. Wait 10 years for another Slam champion.

Deboogle!.
06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Jo, have you checked the torrents thread? I'm pretty sure someone has it - that might be easier than Ellen uploading that kind of stuff lol

tennis lover
06-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Jo, have you checked the torrents thread? I'm pretty sure someone has it - that might be easier than Ellen uploading that kind of stuff lol
I had a look on sladinki and couldn't find anything but it's a good idea to ask in the torrent thread first though I suppose! My brain's not really with it at the mo. :o

Deboogle!.
06-21-2006, 08:42 PM
sure, they're nice there :) one of the friendlier threads on GM :lol:

aww :hug:

partygirl
06-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I think i might have a spare gig or 2.
:lol:

MissFairy
06-22-2006, 11:38 AM
04 USO vs. Johansson.
That may be one of the hardest matches i have ever had the displeasure to watch. I agree, the tide definitely started turning from that match onwards. :(

For his recent on-court freefall, i get mad at him, i get sad for him and i want to kick his unthinking butt in to gear. I don't ever feel like i wouldn't support him in his next match, i certainly could never root against the guy (much). I am trying to wait patiently for him to regain the form that made him a fearful force to be reckoned with on the ATP tour. It should happen, he's too good of a player for it not to.

williaer
06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't ever feel like i wouldn't support him in his next match, i certainly could never root against the guy (much). I am trying to wait patiently for him to regain the form that made him a fearful force to be reckoned with on the ATP tour. It should happen, he's too good of a player for it not to.
Exactly.

Carito_90
06-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Because I'm mentally ill.

williaer
06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
I love you.

J. Corwin
06-23-2006, 11:31 AM

:lol: yeah basically