Moya Mad [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Moya Mad

star
01-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Moya out with a serve

By Linda Pearce
January 20, 2004

Carlos Moya has accused Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee of unfair and inconsiderate treatment, after the denial of his request for an extra day to recover from an ankle injury yesterday forced the seventh seed's premature withdrawal from the tournament.

Moya, with Rainer Schuettler and Arnaud Clement one of the three former Melbourne Park finalists who failed to make it past the Open's first day, suffered a second-degree sprain in Saturday's Sydney International final against Lleyton Hewitt.

By then, it had already been decided that the top half of the men's draw would be played on day one. An ATP spokesman confirmed that Moya immediately requested that an exception be made, so he would be permitted a Tuesday start. The application was denied.

"It's unfair," Moya said before leaving Melbourne Park, and seeking the first flight back to Spain to prepare for next month's opening Davis Cup tie. "If I was (Mark) Philippoussis, (Lleyton) Hewitt or (Andre) Agassi, McNamee would change his mind, for sure."

McNamee was unavailable for comment, but Tennis Australia spokesman John Lindsay said: "We had decided on which half of the men's draw would play first before Carlos had even had his injury. Even so, no one knows the extent of the injury and whether an extra day would have made any difference.

"If someone was given that extra day, and then they lost the match, their opponent would have been disadvantaged going into the next round."

Moya had tried to hit twice yesterday, heavily strapped and with intense ice treatment in between, but lasted no more than 20 minutes either time. He could not contest his first-round match against James Blake, and was replaced by lucky loser Ivan Miranda of Peru.

"I see all the physios here, all the doctors, my own physio," Moya said. "They said maybe if I could have one more day, I could have chance to play. But I (have) been unlucky because they didn't give me one more day. I'm very disappointed that I'm not able to play here. I would have loved (to).

"In two days it has improved so much. Yesterday I couldn't even walk, and today I was running. It was hurting a little bit, but that's why I say one more day, maybe it would have been perfect. The way it has improved in two days, I was very optimistic that maybe I could play tomorrow

Deboogle!.
01-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Well it sounds like he has a good point. Poor guy :sad:

Shy
01-19-2004, 04:20 PM
The worst is that he's probably right.

tennischick
01-19-2004, 04:20 PM
i doubt that an extra day would have made a difference to such a serious injury. not to mention having to play on that ankle for two whole weeks. be realistic Moya.

tangerine_dream
01-19-2004, 05:09 PM
I feel terribly for Moya, I really wanted him to play, too. But a sprained ankle is a weakened ankle and if he had played, there's a good chance he would've sprained it again and made it worse. Better to sit it out and let it heal properly. He's not a spring chicken anymore.

Havok
01-19-2004, 05:13 PM
but didn't all the players in the top half play on monday?

star
01-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Yep.

TheBoiledEgg
01-19-2004, 05:33 PM
yes all players played

Paul McNamee says schedule had been done
of course it had been done

Potato was in Sydney final and he would get a Tues start whatever happened

Kim wanted a Tues start cos she was injured, and Kim and Potato like playing on same day so they can spend their day off pursuing "other activities"

pffffffffff :mad: :fiery:

Havok
01-19-2004, 05:36 PM
well if all players in the top half played, then Moya had to as well. he does have a point about if he were Hewitt, Mark, or andre, but he isn't either one of them and he had to play just like the rest of the people in the top half. and yes Potato played in the finals, but he only played one set and won by a retirement, same as his semifinals match. and kim and her stupid injury:rolleyes: and you thought the US Open was bad. the OZ Open is helping Kim when she isn't even an Aussie:lol: i say blame the potato:banana:

AntennA
01-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Poor Moya. :sad: I really hoped to see him play, cause I expected a lot of him.
He has a point when he says they would give a day rest for Australian players when they would be injured. Hopefully he gets his revenge at Roland Garros and takes the title!

star
01-19-2004, 05:56 PM
yes all players played

Paul McNamee says schedule had been done
of course it had been done

Potato was in Sydney final and he would get a Tues start whatever happened

Kim wanted a Tues start cos she was injured, and Kim and Potato like playing on same day so they can spend their day off pursuing "other activities"

pffffffffff :mad: :fiery:

So, you think that the draws were rigged to get Kim and Lleyton into compatible draws, or are you saying even if they had been in opposite halves the organizers would have scheduled the mens and womens draws differently?

I think that all this conspiracy stuff is getting a bit... much.

TheBoiledEgg
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
nope saying that they were gonna put Kim on a Tues so they automatically put whichever half Potato was in the same day.

undomiele
01-19-2004, 06:32 PM
I think they should have asked Blake as to whether or not he minded playing on Tuesday with Moya ... it should have been his call. Besides its not as if Blake would have been at a disadvantage really... quite the opposite: having the options of playing with an injured seed or a qualifier is pretty much easy pickings ... even for Blake. ;)

Leo
01-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Carlos is absolutely correct. The Australian Open Tennis Federation was willing to give Kim Clijsters an unfair advantage in scheduling because of her injury, and I'm sure they would do the same for Hewitt and Flipper.

For this, and many other reasons (i.e. Venus recieving an excessively high special seeding, Panova not being given a protected ranking despite being off for more than year, Davenport being scheduled on Show Court #3 for her first match, etc.), the Australian Open has really not impressed me this year. Pretty disgraceful.

maratski
01-19-2004, 06:45 PM
I feel sorry for Moya and I can understand his anger, but the same rules apply for all players in ALL SLAMS. There are more players who weren't granted a late start (I think even Sampras was denied one not so long ago), so why should an exception be made now.

I still miss him though :sad:

Havok
01-19-2004, 07:32 PM
um Venus being given the #3 seed is perfectly fine. regarding Kim's injury, they knew about the injury 7+ days, but Moya was injured just hours before the schedule was made. i agree it was a little stupid, but if his half of the draw is playing on monday he HAS to play on that day because then he'll screw up the whole entire match schedule for his half

star
01-19-2004, 07:40 PM
I feel sorry for Moya and I can understand his anger, but the same rules apply for all players in ALL SLAMS. There are more players who weren't granted a late start (I think even Sampras was denied one not so long ago), so why should an exception be made now.

I still miss him though :sad:

Exactly. To my memory, this has always been how the slams operate.

propi
01-19-2004, 08:13 PM
I better :tape: about this :fiery: :fiery:

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:20 AM
I would have thought the protocol should be to ask Blake (his opponent). If Blake agrees to play two in a row should he win, then the Moya match could have happened on Tuesday. On the other hand, I guess it puts the opponent in a hard place if they want to say no.

Leo
01-20-2004, 12:46 AM
um Venus being given the #3 seed is perfectly fine. regarding Kim's injury, they knew about the injury 7+ days, but Moya was injured just hours before the schedule was made. i agree it was a little stupid, but if his half of the draw is playing on monday he HAS to play on that day because then he'll screw up the whole entire match schedule for his half

1) Yes, she should absolutely be given a protected ranking. But #3 is too high. She shouldn't have gotten a top four seed. Personally, I think Slams should follow the same rules about protected rankings and how high an injured player should be seeded as the WTA - like the system that was used to seed Lindsay Davenport when she returned from knee surgery in 2002, which was based on actual calculations. But, of course, the Slams do things their own way. :rolleyes: And, secondly, Panova should have been given some sort of protected ranking. She deserved it more than Venus because she was out for twice as long.

2) No player deserves special treatment. I don't see why Kim should automatically get her way, but not other players who are injured.

trixy
01-20-2004, 02:02 AM
I feel really sorry for Moya but would one extra day really have made a difference? and as regards to Kim I dont think its a a case of prefferential treatment because she has been injured since hopman cup and i do think the aussie open officials if they could have would have done everything they could have to help Carlos but yeh on the same side i can't help but think they would have done more to help Lleyton and Flip.

On Venus. I think the no.3 seeding is fully deserved i mean it gave a more balanced draw.

Havok
01-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Lindsay got a #4 seed at the US Open 2002, bumping Dokic out of her deserved #4 seed. Lindsay deserved it the, Venus deserved it now

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 06:32 AM
I think the Venus seeding is fair because can you imagine the fuss if she was seeded 11th and drew Henin-Hardenne in the 4th round?

J. Corwin
01-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Unfortunate for Moya, but I agree the tournaments shouldn't give special treatment to players when it comes to scheduling (when injury is only announced after the schedule has been made).

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 06:53 AM
I think that no exceptions should be made to any player, although Moya might be right in saying that Hewitt or Philippoussis would've received an extra day off. It would only mean playing two matches in two days, which is unfair to the winner of the match.

Rules are rules, and it is doubtful whether Moya would've been able to play anyway and if he would be able to, whether he could win. I understand what Moya thinks, but the rules have only been applied. He should not whine, but just focus on the Davis Cup.

JeLuliA88
01-21-2004, 12:29 AM
i would be mad too if i was him

Hispanica
01-21-2004, 12:45 AM
Every player would be mad and I understand him cause he was playing so well these 2 weeks.

And remember that JC reached the French Open final after the injury n 2nd round.. so he might have been able to play and win some games...

Now, we'll never, it's over so lets focus on the rest of the season.

Corredian's_Mind
01-21-2004, 01:12 AM
such a pity for him...i really wanted him to play :sad: ...and i'm sure his right about McNamee

:fiery:

nando
01-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Paul Mc Namee and the Australian Open officials can all suck crap.