Guga's not looking good... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Guga's not looking good...

tennischick
01-19-2004, 10:55 AM
did anyone else see that embarassing match against Van Lottum last night? eeks! the guy was limping with pain, his muscles in both legs in spasms -- and yet he almost beat Guga. it was incredible. all Guga has left is his serve -- the rest of his game is your typical journeyman baselining crap. i am sooooo disappointed -- i guess i was hoping that he could come back from the hip surgery but...claro que no.

maratski
01-19-2004, 10:58 AM
I haven't seen the match, but I think Van Lottum is just a guy that Guga has problems with on any surface. Remember Wimbly? John would have won if he didn't get injured.

Billabong
01-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Yah that was really close, especially when Guga served for the match at 6-5 and got broken with 3 DFs! That was REALLY scary... Finally he found a way to break him again and serve for it at 7-6, but he was definitely WAY too nervous... If you read his interview, Guga said he was really worried about this situation (his opponent with cramps)...

Guga will definitely have to play better against Ljubicic if he wants to win, that's for sure... but hey, he won, and that's what counts the most!!! and also it was his first 5 sets match win in AO in his career!

GO GUGA!!!

CooCooCachoo
01-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately, Guga won. John deserves a good win and he is a good player too! A weird breakdown though in the second and third set... Ljubicic will take Kuerten out, I am sure of it!

renatoal
01-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Guga played horrible against Van Lottun but I saw a couple of his matches in Auckland and he looks much better, MUCH ... I expect he elevates his level of play against Ljubicic, and I´m confident he will beat him !!! GOOO GUGAA !!!

Experimentee
01-19-2004, 12:18 PM
I expect Ljubicic to take Guga out. Guga has never played well at the AO before, even last year he played well in Auckland and won it, but still lost early at the AO. So it doesnt matter what kind of lead up form hes in, he'll lose early all the time at the AO. He is cursed there.

amethyst
01-19-2004, 01:50 PM
I only saw the last set and it was really horrible. But I saw several matches where one player cramped severly and the other wasn´t able to close it out fast (Safin vs Kiefer at USO - I don´t remember the year - and Costa vs Lapenti at RG 03. I also remember Magnus Norman being carried away from court screaming at some small tournament in Sweden and yet he came back to play). Both Safin and Costa needed the whole fifth set to win that matches - and they played as embarassing as Guga did today. It seems to be a really though situation for the player who´s not cramping.

the cat
01-19-2004, 02:37 PM
It's early in the year. Gustavo will find better form as 2004 progresses. :)

Chloe le Bopper
01-19-2004, 02:46 PM
I only saw the last set and it was really horrible. But I saw several matches where one player cramped severly and the other wasn´t able to close it out fast (Safin vs Kiefer at USO - I don´t remember the year - and Costa vs Lapenti at RG 03. I also remember Magnus Norman being carried away from court screaming at some small tournament in Sweden and yet he came back to play). Both Safin and Costa needed the whole fifth set to win that matches - and they played as embarassing as Guga did today. It seems to be a really though situation for the player who´s not cramping.
I don't believe that Lapentti started cramping until quite late in the match? The reason Costa "needed" a fifth set to beat him, is because he lost the first two ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-19-2004, 02:49 PM
... and I may be mistaken, but Kiefer didn't even start cramping until the fifth set tie break. So of course Safin needed 5 sets to beat him.

RaVeR
01-19-2004, 04:43 PM
I hope Ljubicic will win against Kuerten!

Go IVAN!!

amethyst
01-19-2004, 05:20 PM
As far as I remember both Lapentti and Kiefer started cramping at the beginning of the fifth set. It was in the tiebreak when Kiefer could not even stand anymore. But I admit that it was a little bit stupid to write "They needed the whole fifth set..." What I meant was that Costa and Safin couldn´t close out the fifth set fast and secure. :worship:

Billabong
01-19-2004, 06:05 PM
yah but don't forget how great Guga played in the second and third sets!! 11 straight games... we can't say he played horribly in the whole match... The problem is that he seems having difficulties to keep playing that way during the whole match (5th set was awful)... and I think he'll definitely need to do it against Ljubicic!

GO GUGA you can do it! GOOO GUGZ!!!

Leo
01-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Ljubicic will win easily, I think. According to Dissident, Guga wasn't even serving well. Way too many double faults, which is simply inexcusable against a limping opponent.

Lee
01-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Guga lost his focus when van Lottum started cramping. That's one of Guga's biggest flaw. When he's in a zone, totally focus on tennis and block everything out, he can hit the lines left and right, killing his opponents. But, he can easily lost the focus, and playing crap like last night.

Still, there's no excuse for such lousy performance!

tennischick
01-19-2004, 10:01 PM
actually i didn't think it's fair only to say that Guga played better in the 2nd and 3rd. what was also true was that Van Lottum dropped his standard and started making more errors. but i conceded earlier that Guga's serve retained penetrance and he was able to score some cheap points (especially in the 2nd and 3rd).

i thought that i lacked the killer instinct but Guga made me look like a nun. he kept waiting for Van Lottum to fall instead of moving in for the kill. the Android should set up a private consultancy teaching players how to develop the killer instinct. his was one of the purest ever. ask Agassi.

Sjengster
01-19-2004, 10:06 PM
actually i didn't think it's fair only to say that Guga played better in the 2nd and 3rd. what was also true was that Van Lottum dropped his standard and started making more errors. but i conceded earlier that Guga's serve retained penetrance and he was able to score some cheap points (especially in the 2nd and 3rd).

i thought that i lacked the killer instinct but Guga made me look like a nun. he kept waiting for Van Lottum to fall instead of moving in for the kill. the Android should set up a private consultancy teaching players how to develop the killer instinct. his was one of the purest ever. ask Agassi.

Are nuns renowned for their killer instinct? ;)

Santorofan
01-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Yup, Ljubicic's tough but don't count out Guga so easily. Guga's won 4 out of 5 matches against him thus far. He just needs to keep his 1st serve % higher against Ivan and mix it up a bit.

Kick some major second-round ass Guga!!!

1DICKrodDICK1
01-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Dont forget that Ljubicic shoulder is hurting badly again, he says yesterday he couldnt serve with full motion, only had 4aces in 4 sets.

Ma. Estefania
01-19-2004, 10:47 PM
I think Guga was just sort of concerned about Van Lottum's health, that he forgot to play some good tennis; but luckily he could handle it at the end, and he won.... :)

MisterQ
01-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Sorry to hear that Guga wasn't in great form.

But the fact that he won a five-setter in Australia is good news in itself!

Leo
01-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Are nuns renowned for their killer instinct? ;)

Haha, I noticed that too. :lol: