Soldering knocks out Schuettler [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Soldering knocks out Schuettler

trixy
01-19-2004, 02:35 AM
4-6 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-3.

A great match. Schuettler looked in control and then wow Robin played some great tennis. Too bad for Schuettler he's had a horrible start to the yr and he's going to lose heaps of points seeing he made the final last yr.

MisterQ
01-19-2004, 03:09 AM
Wow, I'm very surprised. That's a lot of lost points for Rainer!

undomiele
01-19-2004, 03:13 AM
Oh poor rainer. It was a tough first draw and they battled it out but I can't say it was *too* much of a surprise. He hadn't been playing too well. Gosh judging by the looks of things so far there are going to be a lot of "upsets" in the men's AO this year.

CooCooCachoo
01-19-2004, 04:50 AM
That's a great fall down for Rainer. He doesn't deserve that. Söderling is a tough opponent, and still growing, but I didn't think that Rainer would lose this match. Moya, El Aynaoui and Schüttler out.. Wow!

Chloe le Bopper
01-19-2004, 05:11 AM
He's going to fall all the way from 6th to 6th :sad:

Point wise, it sucks, though.

star
01-19-2004, 05:28 AM
Yes, well, I'm feeling very proud of myself for having predicted this one.

I did think it would go 4 sets though.

CooCooCachoo
01-19-2004, 05:36 AM
Will he seriously stay #6? That is odd.

LOL Star congrats then.. :p

Yonge
01-19-2004, 05:57 AM
I am still in shock. I mean not to insult Soderling, but I did expect Rainer to go deep in the draw. Good job Robin!

Leo
01-19-2004, 06:02 AM
Schuettler has lost 5 straight ATP matches. Geez, he's almost in as bad shape as Juan Carlos. :p But seriously, I think Rainer may still be exhausted from his long 2003 season, both physically and mentally. A good rest after this loss would do him good.

Chloe le Bopper
01-19-2004, 06:23 AM
Will he seriously stay #6? That is odd.

LOL Star congrats then.. :p
Not really.

He had about 1000 points on Moya, who isn't playing. I haven't checked... perhaps Nalbandian can pass him if he wins, but I'm not even sure of that.

J. Corwin
01-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Bad blow to his ranking points, although not the ranking itself...yet. I can't say that I expected this, but it really isn't a shocker either.

WyverN
01-19-2004, 07:50 AM
Yes it will take another few months for him to plummet in the rankings

CooCooCachoo
01-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Not really.

He had about 1000 points on Moya, who isn't playing. I haven't checked... perhaps Nalbandian can pass him if he wins, but I'm not even sure of that.

OK, thanks. I am not that into rankings really ;) Well it is good for him that he will keep his ranking, but the points.. ouch. It is going to be tough to qualify for the Masters Cup with such a start of the season.

jtipson
01-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Regarding points, Schuettler will have 2510. Nalbandian can pass Schuettler only if he wins (2810), and match him if he is runner up.
Henman or Philippoussis could pass Schuettler if either of them win.

In fact, if Agassi fails to make the fourth round, Schuettler will actually overtake him for 5th position.

TheBoiledEgg
01-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Robin :woohoo: :D great win :D

its not gonna affect Rainers rank short-term but as season goes on, its effect will be there to see.

tennischick
01-19-2004, 11:01 AM
yeah that was my first thought -- TBE must be beyond himself with joy...:p

too bad Rainer lost in the opening round. i wish he had gone deeper. but congrats to the kid. that was gutsy. of course if he turns around and folds up like a wet paper napkin in the next round, i will be most pissed.

Sjengster
01-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Hmm... well, considering he has to play Escude in the second round I wouldn't be surprised if he has a tough time of it. Hopefully Schuettler will recover, it's obvious that he won't repeat the amazing season he had last year but if he could do as well as Novak did in 2003, following on from his career year in 2002, it would be very welcome indeed.

Leo
01-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I still think Schuettler can do better this year than Novak did in 2003. Besides his win in Gstaad, Novak didn't accomplish much of anything, did he? He lost fairly early in all the Slams and, besides Paris, was nowhere to be found in the Masters Series events. I expect Schuettler to remain more of a threat at the top than Novak.

jmp
01-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Rainer :bigcry: Good luck for the rest of the year.

Congratulations, Robin! :D

Sjengster
01-19-2004, 07:42 PM
I still think Schuettler can do better this year than Novak did in 2003. Besides his win in Gstaad, Novak didn't accomplish much of anything, did he? He lost fairly early in all the Slams and, besides Paris, was nowhere to be found in the Masters Series events. I expect Schuettler to remain more of a threat at the top than Novak.

The last 16 at RG wasn't bad, and he made the third round of all the other Slams, not forgetting last 16 appearances in Rome and Montreal to add to his Paris semifinal. It was hardly spectacular, but at the moment it's the kind of season Schuettler would kill for given that he still hasn't won a match this year.

Ma. Estefania
01-19-2004, 10:52 PM
:woohoo: 1st big upset at the tournament :woohoo:

Congrats Robin. ;)

Leo
01-20-2004, 12:57 AM
The last 16 at RG wasn't bad, and he made the third round of all the other Slams, not forgetting last 16 appearances in Rome and Montreal to add to his Paris semifinal. It was hardly spectacular, but at the moment it's the kind of season Schuettler would kill for given that he still hasn't won a match this year.

Oh, well I guess I wasn't given Novak as much credit as he deserved. He did do pretty well at the Slams. But I still think that, despite his poor start, Schuettler can achieve better results than Novak's in 2003. Rainer seems to fair better against the top players, for one. And he also seems somewhat mentally stronger than Jiri, although I could be wrong.

WyverN
01-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Schuettler is a 3rd round type of player, Jiri is a 4th round type of player