Safin says Rios most talented, Federer "next Sampras", really interesting article [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin says Rios most talented, Federer "next Sampras", really interesting article

JeNn
01-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Safin decides to get serious
January 18, 2004
Marat Safin may be this year's player to watch, reports Linda Pearce.

Marat Safin has just finished a thunderous practice session overseen by his latest coach, part-time Russian tour player Denis Golovanov.

The performance is imposing, an effortless service action pounding one last basket of balls. Safin may be the world's 77th-ranked player, but he also intends to return to No. 1 before the year is out.

Which may sound optimistic, but Safin has never been one for restraint. The past season, in which he won only 12 matches in 23 tournaments, was the most difficult of his career. Safin spent months able only to rest and hope, waiting for his damaged left wrist to heal. No doubt he also enhanced his reputation for party-boy behaviour during his time away, but more significant is his post-sabbatical vow to change his erratic, undisciplined tennis ways.

Indeed, one former coach, Mats Wilander, has said that "if Marat had the head of Jim Courier, he would be unbeatable".

So, are we seeing the new, calm, committed Marat at last?

"I'm trying, I'm trying, I'm really trying," said Safin, whose 2002 Australian Open finals loss to Thomas Johansson was most notable for his busty blonde "entourage" and carefree - almost careless - demeanour. "I had six months off, so I've been talking to people, and they give me good advice, so at least I can understand a little bit myself and I can understand a little bit what I need to do.

"It has to work. I have no other option. I have been out for basically almost a year, so I have a lot of time to think about my life, about my tennis life, and make some good decisions and that's why I decided to prepare myself quite seriously for this year, because it's time.

"I'm going to be 24, so time to do something big, and life is moving, so you have to hurry up. Otherwise, it's going to be too late."

Safin will never be a Courier, or Lleyton Hewitt clone, and has only recently been struck by the radical idea of trying, really hard, until a match is over. Yet he is not one for if-onlys, despite his performance against Pete Sampras in the 2000 US Open final prompting the towering 20-year-old to be hailed as the prototype of the next generation. Somehow, more than three years later, the rising 24-year-old is still waiting for major No. 2.

"It comes with time. It's coming at a certain age, but for some people that's very early, and for some people that's 23, as it happens to me," said Safin of his new-found resolve. "But I also don't regret anything I did in the past. I mean, maybe I had to change something, but it was OK.

"You have to go through the periods of time, the periods of life, the directions. You have to find everything and put it in order."

Still, the present world order is horribly unflattering among a peer group that includes Roger Federer, Andy Roddick, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Hewitt. While Federer, Roddick and Ferrero won singles majors last year, and Hewitt led his country to a Davis Cup, Safin tumbled from No. 3 to 77th.

Injury was the major factor. The Russian arrived here last January fresh from his country's Davis Cup win, only to withdraw before his Sydney quarter-final with a shoulder injury, and then tear ligaments in his left wrist during his first match at Melbourne Park.

"Basically I was in great shape, I came here, I got injured and then all the year was screwed up," he said.

Safin tried twice to return to the court, but it was soon clear that a long break was needed, and the semi-final defeat of Ferrero in Barcelona on April 26 was his most recent tour victory. Five demoralising first-round losses prompted one last withdrawal, from the Paris Masters, to prepare for 2004.

Safin spent a solid month training in Monte Carlo under fitness adviser Walt Landers and Golovanov, his sixth coach in three years. "He's the person that he can travel with me for 42 weeks a year, he can be for me 24 hours available and he knows me since I was 12," Safin said.

Safin believes he belongs in the company of Roddick, Federer, Ferrero et al. "I think there will be times that they will beat me, that I will beat them, so it's going to be a competition like it was before with Becker, Sampras, Agassi."

Who, then, is the next Pete? Safin himself? "No, it's Federer. Federer I think is Sampras. He has the potential. He's very talented and he has more or less the same game. he needs more improve(ment), but he plays as nice as Pete. He is very talented, definitely. Very good hands, very good serve.

"But I think for me the most talented of all times was (Marcelo) Rios. But unfortunately he doesn't want to continue his tennis career, because when it's too easy for you, then it's boring."

The same, perhaps, could be said of Safin. "For me, tennis is not so easy," he insisted. "But I've been working really hard, I've put in a lot of time and a lot of dedication, and I'm trying to make it easier."

Marat Safin

Born: January 27, 1980, Moscow
Lives: Monte Carlo
Turned pro: 1997
Career: 242-142 win-loss record; 11 career singles titles.
Career prizemoney: $US8,640,150.
2003 in review: Limited to 14 tournaments by wrist injury, outside top 50 for first time since 1997.
Australian Open: Played five times, runner-up in 2002.
French Open: Five times, semi-finalist in 2002.
Wimbledon: Four times, quarter-finalist in 2001.
US Open: Five times, won in 2000.

TennisLurker
01-18-2004, 12:23 AM
Rios is the most talented player Ive ever seen.
probably the worst number 1 player was the most talented one.

Nan Cu
01-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Define talent.

Unless Federer is obsessed with history, he isn't the next Sampras. He's a superior player.

J. Corwin
01-18-2004, 01:52 AM
interesting article..thanks

Rios is definitely a wasted talent. He had the tools to win a major.

Chloe le Bopper
01-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Rios did have several injuries working against him, though. Not to mention his own attitude... which Safin pointed out.

star
01-18-2004, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the article.

I hope to see Safin play as beautifully once again as he did when he won the U.S. Open

lsy
01-18-2004, 02:53 AM
It's funny that both Safin and Roger consider each other as the more talented. Just recently (I believe is slightly before Safin interview), Roger had nominated Safin as his candidate. Link to article :

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/16/1073878030721.html

And coincidently, Roger used to enjoy watching Rios too.

leahwurth
01-18-2004, 05:35 AM
Define talent.

Unless Federer is obsessed with history, he isn't the next Sampras. He's a superior player.

exactly. he isn't the next sampras because there never will be another pete. i'm so sick of people trying to downplay his talent. never will there be another player that can dominate the game like he did for so many consecutive years. he deserves the recognition of being one of, if not the, most talented tennis player. and if he isn't, then why is every new up & coming player compared to him? it's not that pete was obsessed with history--he was passionate about being the best, exactly what he is-the best.

WyverN
01-18-2004, 05:57 AM
Yes Pete was one of a kind - he had 5 slams when he was Federer's age

Chloe le Bopper
01-18-2004, 06:27 AM
Yes Pete was one of a kind - he had 5 slams when he was Federer's age
muahahah...

TheBoiledEgg
01-18-2004, 08:32 AM
When are robots (Sampras)considered as talented :confused:

Rios in full flow was awesome, no wonder ANdre ran a million miles whenever he had to face him.

WyverN
01-18-2004, 11:36 AM
All this hype about Rios yet he played plenty of slams and never came close to winning 1 (6-2, 6-2, 6-2 isnt close)

WyverN
01-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Rios in full flow was awesome, no wonder ANdre ran a million miles whenever he had to face him.

he beat Agassi twice, once in a close 5 setter - I am sure Andre was shaking in his boots

amethyst
01-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Nice to see that Safin tries to change his attitude. I hope it´s not too late for him. Maybe he wasted his best years when he was healthy.

MisterQ
01-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Yeah, Andre and Marcelo only played three times. But Rios must have made a big impression on people because I have often heard about his great play vs. Agassi. Well, I won't dispute his amazing talent, but a 2-1 record, all of the matches very close, doesn't a domination make.

Miami TMS, Hard, S
FL, U.S.A.

Agassi
6*7** 6*4** *(rios retires at one set each)

Grand Slam Cup, Hard, F
Germany
Rios
4*6** 6*2** 6*7** 7*5** 3*6**

Key Biscayne, Hard, F
FL, U.S.A.

Rios
5*7** 3*6** 4*6** *** ***

tangerine_dream
01-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Sorry, but neither Rios or Safin have yet to impress me, tennis-wise. I keep hearing how "great" they are, but I don't see it. :shrug:

I'm looking forward to seeing them finally live up to their hype this year, if they can manage.

star
01-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Tangy, I think you missed the year that Safin won the USO. He was truly amazing then. Also Rios has been injured for what seems like the last 5 years.

tangerine_dream
01-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Actually, I DID miss the year Marat broke through in 2002! :lol: But then he wasn't seen or heard from since. I'm sure he's great when he's "on" (like everyone else can be ;) ) but I'd like to see more "on" than "off" from him.

We can all easily see the natural ability Roger has, and so far, Roger gets the best of Marat. :devil: So I'm very curious to see if Marat has finally got his act together and if he can get back on top and play competitively with the three boy Kings. ;)

Vass
01-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Sorry, but neither Rios or Safin have yet to impress me, tennis-wise. I keep hearing how "great" they are, but I don't see it. :shrug:
If you didn't see him play, that's not his foult. You keep watching only Roddick and Federer and that'll never change.
But then he wasn't seen or heard from since.
And what do these articles mean now? Articles were there even last year.
I'm looking forward to seeing them finally live up to their hype this year, if they can manage.
Them? Rios retired. And how did they earn that 'hype' of your's? Was it tot by playing well?
We can all easily see the natural ability Roger has, and so far, Roger gets the best of Marat.
In head-to-head yes. Although Marat won the last time. But the achievements are pretty same. One GS and 11 title at the same age.
So I'm very curious to see if Marat has finally got his act together and if he can get back on top and play competitively with the three boy Kings.
When hasn't he played competitively against them?

Discussion closed.

Shy
01-18-2004, 06:03 PM
I notice that in many articles Roger and Marat do mutually admire each other.

tangerine_dream
01-18-2004, 06:30 PM
If you didn't see him play, that's not his foult. You keep watching only Roddick and Federer and that'll never change.

Hey, dumbass, I don't watch "just" Fed and A-Rod, I try to watch as much tennis as I can. 2002 was the year when I didn't watch hardly ANY tennis and so I missed Marat's breakout year. Excuuuuuse me for missing the crowning of your god. :rolleyes:

And what do these articles mean now? Articles were there even last year.Them? Rios retired. And how did they earn that 'hype' of your's? Was it tot by playing well?

Is this English? The fluck you talking about? :confused:

jtipson
01-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Vass, that's a bit unfair since Marat hardly played at all last year, so someone new to tennis might wonder what all the fuss is about him. Have to say that I haven't ever seen any of his matches either, since I only got back into tennis in 2003 (after a very restricted diet of Wimbledon-only for several years).

I just hope he can show what he can do in the AO - I'm dying to understand all the hoo-ha. But I think it may take a few months for him to get back into it, he's been injured/out of form for so long.

Vass
01-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Dear Tangy.
I was so nervous and impatient waiting for your answer. I hadn't a slightest doubt that it will come out as it did: with beautiful phrases and stylish sentances. Unlike mine. Excuse me for my English, I'm not a native speaker. So can you tell me what "fluck" means?

I said that you watch only Andy and Roger, I was wrong. Sorry. I just don't get it: if you had seen Marat play so much, how come you never saw anything out of the ordinary. He might not play that well everytime, but he does play exceptionally well occasionally, and it's strange that you never saw that "occasionally". Early PS: I never blamed you for missing the 00 USO.

PS2: is this all you are capable of? Criticizing my English, and the least important bits of my notes? And I thought that you were talking about Marat here not me.

Tennis Fool
01-18-2004, 08:06 PM
When are robots (Sampras)considered as talented :confused:

:lol: Where's Tennischick? Don't let her get started on this issue.

BTW, I thought Rios was supposed to play AO :confused:

allusion
01-18-2004, 11:20 PM
I haven't seen Rios in ages.
I don't even remember the last time I saw him play. :\

Then again, the last time I saw Marat play before Hopman was last year's AO, which I didn't even get to see. I only saw him withdraw and then his press conference afterwards.

The last time I saw Andy play, was Kooyong. About three days ago. Prior to that it was the US Open.

tennischick
01-18-2004, 11:35 PM
:lol: Where's Tennischick? Don't let her get started on this issue.

BTW, I thought Rios was supposed to play AO :confused:
happy New Year sweetie :kiss:

Rios IS talented. Marat is right on this one. dunno if he is playing in Australia or not. last i heard he was retired but then he showed up at the Pan-Am games and beat up on the local talent. ja ja ja...

no comment on the 'Droid. out of sight, out of mind i say. of course if he turns up as a commentator for the AO i will scream!!!!

azinna
01-19-2004, 02:53 AM
exactly. he isn't the next sampras because there never will be another pete. i'm so sick of people trying to downplay his talent. never will there be another player that can dominate the game like he did for so many consecutive years. he deserves the recognition of being one of, if not the, most talented tennis player. and if he isn't, then why is every new up & coming player compared to him? it's not that pete was obsessed with history--he was passionate about being the best, exactly what he is-the best.

All four players -- Marat, Federer, Sampras, and Rios -- have or had talent oozing out their sides. All four also had choking periods, when they lost matches they should have won (remember how much trouble Pete had with Chang?). And all have had to work with fragile physiques. The differences in their achievements, however, have more to do with discipline and dedication.

Pete had an outright obsessive-compulsive disorder, with the object being a place in history. For those six years of domination, he underwent a level of self-abnegation one sees among medical residents in general surgery. I doubt if, from 1993-1999, two consecutive hours passed without some thought about tennis. Even in his dreams. Hence his achievement, and hence the difficulty of replicating it.

Will there be another Pete? Well, it's the wrong question to ask of tennis, as well as its young players: "are you going to be the Next Sampras?" Silly question. As silly as that posed by music reviewers looking for the Next Prince. The answer will always be: "me? naw, man. i'm just here to play something good for y'all. to entertain, make my contribution (and a living)."

The better question is: will there, in future, be another player to leave an equivalent mark in history? And the answer is: actually, yes. Records tend to get broken in sports. Limits always get pushed. Past feats diminished. Tennis is planning on staying a sport for a while. And I assure y'all that Pete will have to struggle (just as Emerson, Laver, Borg, etc are doing now) to keep the place in history he spent his entire 20s carving out.

maratski
01-19-2004, 10:43 AM
I find it so amazing that you can do so much criticising Tangerine for someone who hasn't seen Marat play :rolleyes:

BTW Marat's breakthrough year was in 2000 and he's been heard of ever since.

We'll see how Andy will fare this season, whether he'll live up to the hype :cool:

tangerine_dream
01-19-2004, 07:03 PM
I find it so amazing that you can do so much criticising Tangerine for someone who hasn't seen Marat play :rolleyes:

I have seen Marat play, mostly in 2001. I didn't see him play much in 2002 (the year he won a GS), and then he was out nearly all of 2003 with injury. Basically, I haven't seen him play at his best and all I'm saying is that I'm not impressed with him with what little I'VE SEEN SO FAR. Hence, my eagerness to see him play this year because I keep hearing what a "natural talent" he is. Get it? :rolleyes:

We'll see how Andy will fare this season, whether he'll live up to the hype :cool:

He already has lived up to the hype and sadly for you, he will be around longer than Safin because unlike Safin, he's not a mental midget. :banana: :cool:

Shy
01-19-2004, 07:05 PM
I think that it is easier with Andy to live up his hype since they expect lest from him than Marat,Roger and Rios.

maratski
01-19-2004, 07:08 PM
AGAIN MARAT WON A GS IN 2000 :rolleyes:

You're too hardheaded and narrowminded for my liking so I'm going to leave it at this and will get back to you by the end of the season. We'll see whether you'll be impressed by Marat then and if Roddick does live up to the hype or that he'll be out of the top 5.

abraxas21
11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
bump, this safin is good

LawrenceOfTennis
11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Rios is more talented than anyone. You don't have to be Safin to tell this.
By the way great article.

Naudio Spanlatine
11-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Rios mi amor:inlove:

rubbERR
11-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Thread made in 2004 the year most of MTF users havent even been born yet.

LawrenceOfTennis
11-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Sad but true.

abraxas21
11-06-2011, 03:22 PM

that includes you too, son

rubbERR
11-06-2011, 03:23 PM
that includes you too, son

I was already born in 1840, different body tho.

Egreen
11-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Safin.:worship:

Sapeod
11-06-2011, 04:39 PM
This proves that Safin was and probably still is a clown. Rios more talented than Federer?? :haha: You're having a laugh :lol:

LawrenceOfTennis
11-06-2011, 04:49 PM
This proves that Safin was and probably still is a clown. Rios more talented than Federer?? :haha: You're having a laugh :lol:

Unlike you, Safin played both of them. You don't even know who Rios is.

rocketassist
11-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Safin is not a clown.

This interview was from 2004.

Sapeod
11-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Unlike you, Safin played both of them. You don't even know who Rios is.
Oh really? :haha: I know who Becker, Edberg, Lendl, Muster and McEnroe are. Hell, I know what their games and matches were like. But I don't know who Rios is?? Nice one :lol:
Safin is not a clown.

Yes, I know it was in 2004.

And yes, he was a clown. His game might've been great, but he was a clown.

Rodre Fegassi
11-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Safin is not a clown.

yeh, his lack of foresight proves he is a clown.

LawrenceOfTennis
11-06-2011, 04:59 PM
he was a clown.

The clown won 2 slams. :wavey:

Naudio Spanlatine
11-06-2011, 05:00 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooooo son:lol:

atennisfan
11-06-2011, 09:51 PM
lol safin you mug.
one of the most underachieving tennis players, and his foresight was not too good either :rolls:

Agrajag
11-06-2011, 10:04 PM
lol safin you mug.
one of the most underachieving tennis players, and his foresight was not too good either :rolls:

Care to elaborate on how his foresight was not too good?

Federer next Sampras seems like a bullseye in my book.

Riosreigned
11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Safin said: "Rios had the talent to win ten Grand Slams." (It's in this new book that just came out about Rios.)

moon language
11-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Herp derp. At the time of this article Federer had won one slam. It's funny you focus on Federer when he wasn't even relevant to the discussion at that time. The real story was that he was saying Rios was more talented than Laver, Borg, Sampras, etc.

abraxas21
11-06-2011, 10:52 PM
lol safin you mug.

talent doesnt necessarily has to be connected with achievements and safin's prediction was amazing. at that time fed had only won 1 GS and because of his age wasconsidered a late bloomer

MaxPower
11-06-2011, 11:07 PM
From what I remember a lot of people predicted Federer to win a ton 2004-> from how dominating he started to look. He wasn't just winning everything like Djokovic this year. It was how he was winning, he did everything and played the all-court game. If Del Potro or anyone else aged 22-23 had looked like that this year people would throw out the same predictions.

The real interesting opinion is about Rios. He is right about that too. Rios was an insane talent. Rios wasn't very tall or strong but he had probably the best feel ever, definitely better than any player of today including Federer.

Think Rios was only 175cm and not very muscular. Just the fact that he reached nr1 is crazy playing with a physical disadvantage like that. I don't think we will see a player with his build reaching nr1 again

Forehander
11-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Hard to say. Rios was definitely super talented but he also had his limitations because of his height. He's was spot on about Federer though

Haelfix
11-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Its interesting how people were calling Federer the best ever before he had even won 2 slams. This from a guy who was known as being chronically inconsistent. I think Navratilova called him the best player she ever saw at Wimbledon in 2004, so its not like it was just overzealous fans.

In Jan 2004 the results weren't even consistently there yet, but it was the manner in which he was playing that just looked as close to perfect as any that ever played.

And yes, many people consider Rios one of the biggest talents to ever play. The guy could make the ball do whatever he wanted, and did it so effortlessly that he looked like he was from another planet..

atennisfan
11-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Care to elaborate on how his foresight was not too good?

Federer next Sampras seems like a bullseye in my book.

Anyone who says a player winning 0 slam is more talented than a player who's won 16 grand slams on all surfaces is a mug in my book.

Topspindoctor
11-07-2011, 01:57 AM

And yes, many people consider Rios one of the biggest talents to ever play. The guy could make the ball do whatever he wanted, and did it so effortlessly that he looked like he was from another planet..

So why did this "super talented" player never win a slam?

atennisfan
11-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Herp derp. At the time of this article Federer had won one slam. It's funny you focus on Federer when he wasn't even relevant to the discussion at that time. The real story was that he was saying Rios was more talented than Laver, Borg, Sampras, etc.

yes. this.
Safin was a mug.

venky91
11-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Chimpras is nothing compared to Fed.

Shinoj
11-07-2011, 02:40 AM

This.

I love Safin and really liked him at that time. But i wouldnt trust his judgement one bit. You wont see the likes of Sampras,Agassi or a nadal joining the marcelo Rios bandwagon.

Orka_n
11-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Rios didn't have Federer's drive or physical prowess but he was an extremely gifted player. I see no reason at all to bash Safin for that statement. It's just pathetic for us to laugh at Marat now, 7 years later when we already have the facts. Besides, he was right about Federer.

Rios playing around:

B3zU12jp-Mo

:hearts:

LawrenceOfTennis
11-07-2011, 07:33 AM

O-M-G.
Talent has nothing to do with mental strength. Rios has never been a champion. He's just super talented. It must be hard to understand for you.

atennisfan
11-07-2011, 08:22 AM
O-M-G.
Talent has nothing to do with mental strength. Rios has never been a champion. He's just super talented. It must be hard to understand for you.

So, according to Safin, Rios is the MOST talented player ever.
And according to you, the reason Rios never won a single grand slam is because of his mental strength.
This means Rios has the weakest mental strength of any human being, like, ever. :rolls:

Shinoj
11-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I think people are confusing Carefree and Careless game with Talent.

Most people when playing without any pressure would produce some of the exquisite shots. But it doesnt necessarily translate into a Match situation. Given a match situation they would be rather more measured. But Rios was a Careless player, an erratic player of sort who didnt give a damn on the tennis court. For those sort of personalities that Carefree tennis would bring success but for a very very short period of time. So it doesnt mean that he is super talented or something. he just didnt give a damn. It was not talent but just a carefree game. For sustained success you require method. Put method into a carefree Tennis it wont be pretty but effective put method out of a tennis game it will be spontaneous it would be beautiful. but the same would be for a lot many tennis player with ball hitting talent. Put a Agassi or a Sampras on a match against Rios matching his Talent they would probably.

So for me Most Talented equates to Just Didnt care. If he wanted to win a match for his life then we probably would have seen his Most talented Game which would be at best effective.

abraxas21
11-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I think people are confusing Carefree and Careless game with Talent.

Most people when playing without any pressure would produce some of the exquisite shots. But it doesnt necessarily translate into a Match situation. Given a match situation they would be rather more measured. But Rios was a Careless player, an erratic player of sort who didnt give a damn on the tennis court. For those sort of personalities that Carefree tennis would bring success but for a very very short period of time. So it doesnt mean that he is super talented or something. he just didnt give a damn. It was not talent but just a carefree game. For sustained success you require method. Put method into a carefree Tennis it wont be pretty but effective put method out of a tennis game it will be spontaneous it would be beautiful. but the same would be for a lot many tennis player with ball hitting talent. Put a Agassi or a Sampras on a match against Rios matching his Talent they would probably.

So for me Most Talented equates to Just Didnt care. If he wanted to win a match for his life then we probably would have seen his Most talented Game which would be at best effective.

yeah, he got to world no.1 because "he just didn't give a damn" :stupid:

Riosreigned
11-07-2011, 01:07 PM

He didn't win hundreds of ATP matches because he didn't give a damn lol. It's just that sometimes he didn't feel like playing, whether it be his mood, an injury, a bad start, whatever. Like an artist can just crumble a drawing and start over, Rios would just throw a match away whatever and try again next time. He cared enough to get to #1 which is something many great players never came close to achieving.

abraxas21
11-07-2011, 01:13 PM
He didn't win hundreds of ATP matches because he didn't give a damn lol. It's just that sometimes he didn't feel like playing, whether it be his mood, an injury, a bad start, whatever. Like an artist can just crumble a drawing and start over, Rios would just throw a match away whatever and try again next time. He cared enough to get to #1 which is something many great players never came close to achieving.

i think rios stopped caring quite a bit once he got to no. 1. that was his goal and all his sponsors' contracts were designed in a way that if he achieved the no. 1 position, he'd get tons of money. the fact that he fired his coach the moment he got there speaks a lot of his lack of dedication once he got to the top. then injuries didnt help much either

MaxPower
11-07-2011, 01:26 PM
You would think out of all sports fans in the entire world, tennis fans would be the most understanding about the difference between talent and actual results. That you can indeed be insanely talented and never win a slam or be a mediocre talent and win multiple slams. But no clearly most people confuse the terms and try to use it to put down Rios. I don't get why. Nalbandian usually gets so much praise on this forum for his talent yet he has never been higher than #3. Probably because more actually seen him play and appreciate his talent. Rios was pure magic at his best but you can tell people are already forgetting.

Interesting coincidence is that Peter Lundgren coached Rios to nr1. Then took over a still quite young Federer and helped him get consistency and we all know the epic domination that followed. After that he took over Safin helping him to a second coming. I guess if anyone would truly know the most talented question Peter Lundgren would be the guy to ask, not the players.

But he did say about Rios when they split ways when he was an established top player that he now needed a psychologist more than a coach :)

Shinoj
11-07-2011, 01:36 PM

He was there at right place at right time. Nothing more to it.

abraxas21
11-07-2011, 01:38 PM
You would think out of all sports fans in the entire world, tennis fans would be the most understanding about the difference between talent and actual results. That you can indeed be insanely talented and never win a slam or be a mediocre talent and win multiple slams. But no clearly most people confuse the terms and try to use it to put down Rios. I don't get why. Nalbandian usually gets so much praise on this forum for his talent yet he has never been higher than #3. Probably because more actually seen him play and appreciate his talent. Rios was pure magic at his best but you can tell people are already forgetting.

Interesting coincidence is that Peter Lundgren coached Rios to nr1. Then took over a still quite young Federer and helped him get consistency and we all know the epic domination that followed. After that he took over Safin helping him to a second coming. I guess if anyone would truly know the most talented question Peter Lundgren would be the guy to ask, not the players.

But he did say about Rios when they split ways when he was an established top player that he now needed a psychologist more than a coach :)

that was stefanski. lundgren coached him to the top 10

Shinoj
11-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Somewhat off the topic but

Coaches do have a role but more often than not its the player who decide their destiny. i remember Lundgren coaching Safin and i had high hopes of Safin but it was an ok phase for Safin;his results still were under the curve with the talent he had.

And regarding federer he still had some awesome performance after he went alone without any coach. And after all the problem he had with Nadal, he changed a few,Roche?, but still couldnt work out nadal.

But one example would be Gilbert. Along with Agassi's drive he really tweaked Agassi's game. Made a real difference. but then again Gilbert with Murray was not quite the same.

LawrenceOfTennis
11-07-2011, 04:22 PM
So, according to Safin, Rios is the MOST talented player ever.
And according to you, the reason Rios never won a single grand slam is because of his mental strength.
This means Rios has the weakest mental strength of any human being, like, ever. :rolls:

You are mentally handicapped. Rios played a slam final and won big events. He was just not enough a champion mind to win slams. It's really hard to understand for plain stupid individuals like you.

cmoss
07-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Rios is a genius,but no consistency.

Shinoj
07-09-2012, 04:42 AM
I would watch a Federer than a Rios. I want to see some Flair but to me winning the match is also as important. I would rather go to a Circus if i just wanted to be entertained.

abraxas21
07-09-2012, 04:45 AM

impressive to see that back in 2004 tangy was also a clown

leng jai
07-09-2012, 04:49 AM
He was there at right place at right time. Nothing more to it.

This post makes so much sense.

Shinoj
07-09-2012, 04:52 AM
This post makes so much sense.

It was a WEAK ERA. There was nobody apart from Sampras. Does it now?

lilygotsilly
07-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Hey, what about this new kid Nadal coming up. Everyone's saying he is awesome on the clay , but can he play on anything else??

He actually got to the 3rd round in his first Wimbledon last year and looks like he should develop some serious power for the hard courts. IF this kid ever develops a big serve along with all his running and his forehand watch out!

cmoss
07-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Hey, what about this new kid Nadal coming up. Everyone's saying he is awesome on the clay , but can he play on anything else??

He actually got to the 3rd round in his first Wimbledon last year and looks like he should develop some serious power for the hard courts. IF this kid ever develops a big serve along with all his running and his forehand watch out!

Yes he's just 18,and very promising.:wavey:

cmoss
07-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Rios is one of the most talented players in history.He can play some out of this world matches,but still a mug.Sometimes he didn't want to play at all.:o

Pure,natural talent:

1.Rios
2.Federer(Marat Safin?)
3.Marat Safin(Federer?)