Nadal: "Federer is the best player ever" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal: "Federer is the best player ever"

DDrago2
06-11-2006, 10:48 PM
During his winning speech Nadal again said that "Federer is the best player of all times". It certainly sounded a bit akward in that moment. What do you think - was it honest or :devil: ?

El Legenda
06-11-2006, 10:49 PM
well makes him look better, if he just beat the best player ever :lol:

betterthanhenman
06-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Somebody wake me up when the mindless posters have disappeared and there is a break in the Rafa versus Roger bullshit!

MisterQ
06-11-2006, 10:50 PM
It was a bit awkward, but I believe that Nadal really feels that way. It's such an odd situation!

DDrago2
06-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Somebody wake me up when the mindless posters have disappeared and there is a break in the Rafa versus Roger bullshit!

Somebody wakes me up when posters who use insults like mindless etc. dissapear

Tom_Bombadil
06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
For you it doesn't matter what Rafa says, you'll always find something wrong about it.

If he praises Roger he's lying and it's bad, he's not sincere. Be like Ljubicic you say, who tells the press what he really thinks.

If he tells them that he's the greatest (he actually neve did such a thing), then you would say how bad he is and all that stuff.

The only thing is that you hate Nadal. And no matter what he does, you are hating him even more as time goes by. And I predict that you're going to hate him even more cause he's going to win a lot more titles. Live with that!

betterthanhenman
06-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Somebody wakes me up when posters who use insults like mindless etc. dissapear

Oh I'm sorry. I thought I was being complimentary. :confused:

Metis
06-11-2006, 11:20 PM
well makes him look better, if he just beat the best player ever :lol:

Good one! :haha:

Anyway, I don't know if Rafa was sincere or not (it sounds like it), but it certainly was very gracious of him to say that instead of just gloating in Fed's face. Another thing that strikes me is that he is always very realistic with respect to improving his ranking to #1. Athough reporters always throw the bait at him with their questions, he never says 'I am getting closer to being #1' or 'since I beat Roger all the time I deserve to be #1' (which a certain other top 10 player would probably say ;) )

Whereas Feds has repeatedly said he is getting closer to beating Rafa on clay and it never seems to happen (sounds like a mirage effect in the desert; you think you are getting closer to the water but it is just an illusion) :p

scoobs
06-11-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't think he's saying it without meaning it. I also think he believes there's more to tennis than winning the French Open, or just the clay titles and that's why he's after the other slams, particularly Wimbledon - I think the "no-go" area for dirtballers that Wimbledon gained the reputation for being is something that fires his competitive spirit.

So though it seems like an odd thing to say about a player you've beaten 5 times in a row, I think he feels he's still number 2 and won't be seen as anything other until he gets one of the other slams. Which is fair enough - if Roger can't win all in sight, I'd rather Rafa did because he's amazing.

mdhallu
06-11-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought it was interesting that Nadal stated that Federer is the best ever on "all surfaces"...which obviously isn't true on clay!! Even the sports commentators on NBC said that he was being too gracious with that remark. That just goes to show that Nadal knows how to be classy too..that is after the match is over and he has beaten you...

blosson
06-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Rafa was very candid in an interview somebody posted here a few days ago. He is very aware he's not the better player and doesn't have the arsenal of shots Roger has. He understands his energy, defence and perseverance is getting him throught.

ChloeLove
06-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Nadal is really modest, he knows Federer is the best, and he acknowlegdes that. The part when he said, he is the best on all surfaces is what got the crowd rowdy. Nadal . . . hello!? You are the best on clay!

Metis
06-11-2006, 11:36 PM
I thought it was interesting that Nadal stated that Federer is the best ever on "all surfaces"...which obviously isn't true on clay!! Even the sports commentators on NBC said that he was being too gracious with that remark. That just goes to show that Nadal knows how to be classy too..that is after the match is over and he has beaten you...

Maybe when he said 'all surfaces' he meant if you consider them all together;
being #1 on grass, HC and #2 on clay at the same time is something noone else has ever achieved before. I think that's what he meant.

Corey Feldman
06-11-2006, 11:44 PM
I admire Rafa's humble, no?

mdhallu
06-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Did anyone else notice that everytime Federer came to the net and volleyed, Nadal was being outplayed ....If someone employs a good serve and volley technique against Nadal he falls apart...

Johnny Groove
06-11-2006, 11:50 PM
I admire Rafa's humble, no?

si, i like rafa and his humble is better than Ljubo's humble, and roger is no say toni coach one-dimension player me, no?

scoobs
06-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Did anyone else notice that everytime Federer came to the net and volleyed, Nadal was being outplayed ....If someone employs a good serve and volley technique against Nadal he falls apart...
Yes but the key word in your sentence is GOOD.

Roger can't come in behind a wing and a prayer, especially not on clay. We saw him try - he was passed a couple of times and looked pretty silly doing so.

And one of Rafa's main strategies is to win the real estate battle, pin you back several feet behind the baseline and make you run until he can either open up the court for the winner or dropshot you. Either way, that makes it tough to play a netrushing strategy. Serve-volleying might have worked better but then, Roger's serve was nowhere near good enough today for that to have worked time and time again.

So Roger just couldn't rely on himself to be able to do that well enough, often enough. When he did get it right a couple of times, it worked.

DDrago2
06-11-2006, 11:57 PM
si, i like rafa and his humble is better than Ljubo's humble, and roger is no say toni coach one-dimension player me, no?

:lol: :lol:

Tom_Bombadil
06-11-2006, 11:59 PM

You're still trying to find: "the strategic key to defeat the one dimensional player, believing doing a simple thing would make the incredible number one player in the world defeat that dirtyballer due to his undisputable superior tennis". Sorry for being too harsh, that's a generalization.

I mean, tennis is more complex than that. Yeah, if you serve very well and volley very well then you are superior and you win, the problem is being able to hit the ball deep enough constantly, the other player also plays.

I could make an alike generalization but in a Nadal biased manner. I.e.: did you realize guys that when Nadal was playing more agressively with his forehand and moved Federer in long rallies he almost always won? Why didn't he just do it all the time?

Because the other player also plays and sure he doesn't want you to do that, so he retrieves you the ball in a way it's difficult for you to use your strong shots :) Yo need to find the perfect situations to open angles or get the balls deep enough.

Johnny Groove
06-12-2006, 12:01 AM
You're still trying to find: "the strategic key to defeat the one dimensional player, believing doing a simple thing would make the incredible number one player in the world defeat that dirtyballer due to his undisputable superior tennis". Sorry for being too harsh, that's a generalization.

I mean, tennis is more complex than that. Yeah, if you serve very well and volley very well then you are superior and you win, the problem is being able to hit the ball deep enough constantly, the other player also plays.

I could make an alike generalization but in a Nadal biased manner. I.e.: did you realize guys that when Nadal was playing more agressively with his forehand and moved Federer in long rallies he almost always won? Why didn't he just do it all the time?

Because the other player also plays. :) Yo need to find the perfect situations to open angles or get the balls deep enough.

:banghead: ow! logic!

mdhallu
06-12-2006, 12:04 AM

Thats the whole point of Serve and Volleying...you don't allow him to play his game of base rallying...keep the points short and simple...Hit a good serve and make him hit an amazing passing shot to beat you...sorry I guess I watched too much Sampras as a kid

Tom_Bombadil
06-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Thats the whole point of Serve and Volleying...you don't allow him to play his game of base rallying...keep the points short and simple...Hit a good serve and make him hit an amazing passing shot to beat you...sorry I guess I watched too much Sampras as a kid

You're only describing one side of the equation of tennis.

I could also say that the point of the baseline game, hitting deep balls, balancing your strokes, hitting with top spin is to avoid the other player to go to the net and volley.

Tennis is a two sided equation. You can't descompensate one side without affecting the other. It's often said that whoever is able to play his game wins. Nadal has said it a few times when facing Roger: what I have to do is being able to deliver my play.

Sure Roger would be glad to being able to portray the fight to a quick serve and volley one, that's his game.

mdhallu
06-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Sure Roger would be glad to being able to portray the fight to a quick serve and volley one, that's his game.
What are you talking about...Federer is a well known baseline player...my point is that there are not enough Serve and Volleyers left in the game so we are left with a tennis match based on who can grind better from the baseline, and in this case its the younger, stronger and mentally tougher Nadal. The whole point of the Serve and Volley is that you serve and charge the net on every point...like Sampras...then the only way your opponent can beat you is if he has the skill to produce a minumum of 4 amazing passing shots each game....On his serve obvsiously you wouldn't charge the net every point...

tangerine_dream
06-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Congratulations to Nadal on entering dangerous Federer territory: where compliments to opponents are seen as "fake" and anything less than a compliment is seen as "arrogant."

Have fun walking that tight line for the next two years.

anserq
06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Nadal don't lie.

Tom_Bombadil
06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
What are you talking about...Federer is a well known baseline player...my point is that there are not enough Serve and Volleyers left in the game so we are left with a tennis match based on who can grind better from the baseline, and in this case its the younger, stronger and mentally tougher Nadal. The whole point of the Serve and Volley is that you serve and charge the net on every point...like Sampras...then the only way your opponent can beat you is if he has the skill to produce a minumum of 4 amazing passing shots each game....On his serve obvsiously you wouldn't charge the net every point...

Obviously when I say it's his game I'm not stating he only can play like that. I know he's the most complete player on the circuit. I meant that was his game against Nadal cause that would be the game he would like to play against him, and with whom he would defeat him easily. With that game he would defeat Nadal always cause his net abilities are far more superior to Nadal's ones.

You overlook that to go to the net and volley you need to produce previously the situations to go to the net. I'm sure Federer would love to go to the net 90% of the points (if not 99%), but he only is going to the net when he thinks he's going to win the point.

Your point stating he should have go to the net a lot more times is not fair, cause I bet if he had done that today, with the kind of shots both players produced, he would have failed miserably.

So your question: why didn't he go to the net more times and won Nadal there? is not fair, the fair one is: why didn't he produced more deep shots that let him go to the net? my answer is: cause Nadal didn't let him. There are two sides on the equation, you can't only read one and claim to analize the game correctly.

DDrago2
06-12-2006, 12:27 AM
mdhallu, Sampras never won RG, and today it is even harder then in his time.

Federer's problem was not that much absence of serve and volley, as it was the absence of the serve alone, for the good part of the match

mdhallu
06-12-2006, 12:31 AM
So your question: why didn't he go to the net more times and won Nadal there? is not fair, the fair one is: why didn't he produced more deep shots that let him go to the net? my answer is: cause Nadal didn't let him. There are two sides on the equation, you can't only read one and claim to analize the game correctly.

For the love of god why can't you understand what I am saying....FEDERER DOESN'T SERVE AND VOLLEY...that mean Serving and immediately running to the net while Nadal is about to hit his return...A serve and volley technique is not dependent on the actions of other player ON YOUR SERVE....BECAUSE YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE TO ACT...As i said earlier, obviously when Nadal is serving Federer cannot immediately rush the net...and would have to wait for the opportunity. All I am saying is that there are not enough Serve and Volleyers in todays game so the kind of game you are seeing is a baseline grind match...

Tom_Bombadil
06-12-2006, 12:38 AM
For the love of god why can't you understand what I am saying....FEDERER DOESN'T SERVE AND VOLLEY...that mean Serving and immediately running to the net while Nadal is about to hit his return...A serve and volley technique is not dependent on the actions of other player ON YOUR SERVE....BECAUSE YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE TO ACT...As i said earlier, obviously when Nadal is serving Federer cannot immediately rush the net...and would have to wait for the opportunity. All I am saying is that there are not enough Serve and Volleyers in todays game so the kind of game you are seeing is a baseline grind match...

Ok, now I understand you. You mean, on his serve he could have done that more. All right man. ;)

Look, first of all: his serve wasn't good enough today. Second: Nadal can retrieve the balls pretty good even against good servers (did you see his game against Ljubicic?), and third: clay court is slower, so ball bounds are more friendly to the man who is not serving.

Mimi
06-12-2006, 01:34 AM
nadal is always humble and gracious, fail to understand why the people criticise him so much :rolleyes:

robert6061
06-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Saying that Federer is the greatest ever player on all surfaces reveals what a truly classy guy Rafa is. I think Rafa regards winning another slam title this year as his top priority and Federer's dominance in the other majors is undoubtedly why he made this remark. I felt that Rafa was being sincere at the time and illustrates what a truly gracious champion he is.

admiralpye
06-12-2006, 03:05 AM
I hope Roger and Rafa become the "bestest friends" ever. And not give us MTFers fodder to create controversy between them.

I think we should give it up. They get along fine, which is refreshing. Actual gentlemanly conduct between the two, playing a gentleman's sport.

darrinbaker00
06-12-2006, 03:41 AM
During his winning speech Nadal again said that "Federer is the best player of all times".
Translation: "I am Federer's pimp."

R.Federer
06-12-2006, 03:53 AM
I don't think raf says things to make himself look better; I honestly believe he has genuine respect for Roger and its really become a strange situation where he is repeatedly beating Roger in matches, while Roger has a perfect record against everyone else and raf gets beaten by some others (not often, but does anyway)

nsidhan
06-12-2006, 04:19 AM
The crowd booed when Nadal said the thought Federer was the best on ALL surfaces because the translator screwed up and said "Federer is the best on all surfaces...except on clay where I own him :)"...or something of that nature.

tripb19
06-12-2006, 05:49 AM
I have gained respect for Rafa during this French Open.

Allez
06-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Rafa's just rubbing salt into the wound. Nadal is clever, he probably wants people to put Federer's status into closer scrutiny. He's beaten him 6 out of 7 times and he says this rubbish everytime and it's annoying. It's not complementary especially when you keep on beating your opponent. It must be embarassing for Roger which is what Nadal wants I guess. You don't need to say something like that to be gracious.

tripb19
06-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Rafa's just rubbing salt into the wound. Nadal is clever, he probably wants people to put Federer's status into closer scrutiny. He's beaten him 6 out of 7 times and he says this rubbish everytime and it's annoying. It's not complementary especially when you keep on beating your opponent. It must be embarassing for Roger which is what Nadal wants I guess. You don't need to say something like that to be gracious.
A bit paranoid? There are nice people in this world you know, and even if top tennis players are arrogant as the preverbial, they can still be genuinely nice.

Allez
06-12-2006, 06:27 AM
A bit paranoid? There are nice people in this world you know, and even if top tennis players are arrogant as the preverbial, they can still be genuinely nice.
What is so nice about saying something that obviously isn't true ? If the guy has beaten you and has completed a calender grandslam or won more than 14 slams then say he's the greatest ever. Otherwise it's a bit awkward for the player and the spectators. I personally think it's tme Roger addressed this once and for all. Tell all these people to stop calling him the greatet ever because it isn't true yet. It's putting way to much pressure on him and gives all the haters something to laugh about if he doesn't go on to become the best ever. But Roger is too nice to ever complain about such things. :worship:

heya
06-12-2006, 08:46 AM
"I can't believe I wasn't number 1 earlier."
"Nadal's quite one-dimensional."
"Agassi, Safin and Haas have more game than Nadal."
"Nadal's not cheating. His uncle is cheating."

Who's the best? You or Laver?
"No comment."

ivanna
06-12-2006, 09:08 AM
I think there's nothing wrong with what Nadal said, he just gives respect to the guy.

LadyNalbandian
06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
and the boring one ...

should i say the borest (ever)?

Deivid23
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM

:retard:

Raquel
06-12-2006, 05:56 PM
I take Nadal at his word. He seems a genuine guy. Reading his blog he seems down to earth. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think Rafael wanted to make Roger look bad or embarrass him.

nobama
06-12-2006, 06:05 PM
What is so nice about saying something that obviously isn't true ? If the guy has beaten you and has completed a calender grandslam or won more than 14 slams then say he's the greatest ever. Otherwise it's a bit awkward for the player and the spectators. I personally think it's tme Roger addressed this once and for all. Tell all these people to stop calling him the greatet ever because it isn't true yet. It's putting way to much pressure on him and gives all the haters something to laugh about if he doesn't go on to become the best ever. But Roger is too nice to ever complain about such things. :worship:Oh now that would go over great. :lol: He'd just be telegraphing to the world he can't handle the pressures of being #1. Which actually isn't true considering he's increased is lead in the entry rankings this year and now is a for sure lock on #1 until Cincy TMS. Anyway Roger has said he's not the "best ever". He said that last year in an ESPN magazine article prior to Wimbledon. He said you cannot be the "best ever" at age 23 and that it's impossible to say who is the "best ever" because of how the game has evolved, the different eras, new technology.

nobama
06-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I take Nadal at his word. He seems a genuine guy. Reading his blog he seems down to earth. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think Rafael wanted to make Roger look bad or embarrass him.I think he has a lot of respect for Roger, and I think Roger has respect for him too. It's just the media looking for some nasty rivalry that twists their words or takes them out of context. Because god forbid these two guys actually get along and don't hate each other.

Allez
06-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Oh now that would go over great. :lol: He'd just be telegraphing to the world he can't handle the pressures of being #1. Which actually isn't true considering he's increased is lead in the entry rankings this year and now is a for sure lock on #1 until Cincy TMS. Anyway Roger has said he's not the "best ever". He said that last year in an ESPN magazine article prior to Wimbledon. He said you cannot be the "best ever" at age 23 and that it's impossible to say who is the "best ever" because of how the game has evolved, the different eras, new technology.
Someone please send Rafa a copy of that edition. Obviously he didn't read it ;)

tripb19
06-13-2006, 05:53 AM
What is so nice about saying something that obviously isn't true ?

My girlfriend: "Does my bum look big in this?"

Me: "No. No it doesn't."