5 HUGE mistakes that Federer made [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

5 HUGE mistakes that Federer made

mdhallu
06-11-2006, 10:29 PM
1) If you're up 6-1 in the first set...show some emotion and let the other player know ur kicking his ass...the whole time during this match Federer looked too passive and unintimidating...He DIDN"T capitalize on making Nadal feel bad about losing the first set..Granted Nadal is mentally tough and it might not have worked but He needs to LEARN SOME TENNIS PSYCHOLOGY

2) If you lost in Rome trying to Rally with Nadal at the baseline don't be stubborn and think it was a fluke and that you can win by rallying from the baseline...LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES.

3) Hire a new younger coach that actually pays attention to your game, has more energy, and can give you good advice instead of acting like a grandfather figure that takes you out to dinner and talks about the great days of the Aussies..."NO, OPTUS"

4) During the match, BE OPTIMISTIC and stop worrying about all the hype surrounding how great you will be if you win the French Open, ITS EFFECTING YOUR SHOTS...Johhny Mac will always be there to kiss your ___ and praise you over Sampras so don't worry about that

5) COME TO THE NET MORE, you have skills at the net...Nadal has proven that he knows how to put the ball back into play so MAKE NADAL BEAT YOU. The few times that Federer did come to the net Nadal got nervous and made errors

DDrago2
06-11-2006, 10:41 PM
To put it shortly, Federer needed to be more agressive and focussed after the first set, but it is not important anymore - in the weeks to come he needs to remind everyone that he is the king

Argenbrit
06-11-2006, 11:01 PM
One mistake that everyone made: the match was too overhyped. They jinxed it. :p

scoobs
06-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Yep - fraid so :)

Failed to deliver really. Might have known that would happens.

The classics are usually ones you have low expectations for somehow.

Rome was a classic because everyone expected Roger to get another Monte Carlo style pasting.

maria87
06-11-2006, 11:12 PM
THE WORSE:

to be arrogant and to act and speak (after have beaten Nalby when he just got injured), if he could do it against Nadal...no, he couldn't!! he can't, he won't win Roland Garros

WF4EVER
06-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Except for No. 3 I'm totally in agreement.

Roger obviously has not learnt from his mistakes because there was no demonstration of that today.

DD, as for reminding everyone he's king, right now he's Nadal's queen, and hurt as it may it's true. It's his own fault.

Asotgod started a thread about him not deserving the No. 1 position but he seemed to delete the thread immediately thereafter, because I was about to post my dissent with that then it was gone.

Whether he believes it or not he's gonna hear it. I've heard it on ESPN Deportes and he'll here it in every quarter now until he starts winning some matches against Nadal. There is no-one more deserving of it than him, he's the best player this planet has ever seen, but until he can overcome this mental obstacle where Nadal is concerned everything he stands for will come under intense scrutiny. He's a man for all seasons, all surfaces, and I believe he'll be forgiven because it was on clay and it might be comforting somewhat if you (or he) believe that Nadal was the favorite, anyway. But this was a match Roger could have won if he played his game right, instead he folded like a pack of cards.

Another thing in his favour right now is the quick onset of Wimby. I mean people have been screaming for the clay season to be over and it is. Now that he's on his favorite surface will he brush these losses aside and relax a bit and steady himself? I hope so.

I have no problem with Nadal leading the head to head becasue every player should have competition; after all when Roger was more dominant people were hating on him becasue his winning was monotonous. Playing Nadal has actually improved ROger's game against everyone else, and IMO, it's not his game that can't overcome Nadal but his mentality. I didn't believe it before but now I do, Roger's allowed Nadal to get into his head and that's why he's hurting him so much. He'd better do something about that fast or his game won't matter, no matter how good it becomes.

Scotso
06-12-2006, 04:25 AM
Wow, Roger should hire you and the other 100 people on this board who think they know tennis better than the #1 player. :retard:

admiralpye
06-12-2006, 04:27 AM
WF4ever: You brought up an interesting point: when Nadal started to win more matches on clay over Federer, the focus turned away from Fed's dominance of the game to Rafa's dominance on clay. Rafa became the target of criticism, naysaying, etc. and Roger became the unexpected favorite because of the Roger Slam, and because the public so wants to see a champ lose devastatingly.

I really like Roger, but I think Rafa needed to win this more, if only to compensate for all the bad-mouthing he's been suffering through since clay season started.

That said, the final match wasn't as satisfying as we all hoped it would be. Oh well. On to grass...

Oriental_Rain
06-12-2006, 04:41 AM
fed will get one day or another

MisterQ
06-12-2006, 05:07 AM

I actually don't agree that it was overhyped! In fact, it might be the only final in a long time that actually deserved the hype. The media didn't really need to manufacture false drama, because it was already there in the situation. No. 1 vs. No. 2., a history of intense matches, contrast of styles and personalities, and a great deal on the line for the legacies of both players.

I agree that it could have been a better match... but I don't think it was as terrible as some made it out to be. I watched their various swings of form with a sick fascination. :lol: The mental game was such a huge factor here, the strokes were almost secondary.

Ali G
06-12-2006, 09:29 AM
i think 2 of his problems were that he had 0-40 on nadals serve at least twice in the match that he didn't convert. if you're going to give that to a player like nadal who is so comfortable and confident on clay you are telling him he can kick you're ass. and that's not something you want to give your opponent in a grand slam final on your least favourite surface.

Tom_Bombadil
06-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Oh no, here we go again. Nadal doesn't count, Federer made the mistakes, Federer has the keys to overcome him. :) Next time he'll overcome him guys, no doubt about it. So be calm, wait till the next match and we will be in this same situation again.

You're terribly underrating Nadal. Period. You think he's just like a sparring who Federer is training with. I'm going to reveal something that probably is going to hurt you, I'm sorry but sometime someone needs to tell you this: Nadal actually is learning something of tennis throughout his career. He learnt something when he was beaten in their first match in the Miami final. He learnt something past year (his first year at the elite), he's just recently turned 20, he has the mentality to improve his game all the time... so when are you going to accept Nadal is not a sparrying? He's a player who learns a lot. You're biased.

Ali G
06-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Oh no, here we go again. Nadal doesn't count, Federer made the mistakes, Federer has the keys to overcome him. :) Next time he'll overcome him guys, no doubt about it. So be calm, wait till the next match and we will be in this same situation again.

You're terribly underrating Nadal. Period. You think he's just like a sparring who Federer is training with. I'm going to reveal something that probably is going to hurt you, I'm sorry but sometime someone needs to tell you this: Nadal actually is learning something of tennis throughout his career. He learnt something when he was beaten in their first match in the Miami final. He learnt something past year (his first year at the elite), he's just recently turned 20, he has the mentality to improve his game all the time... so when are you going to accept Nadal is not a sparrying? He's a player who learns a lot. You're biased.

don't know whether you're talking to me or not but i agree. nadal is better than federer on clay simple as that. federer has given him some difficult matches i.e. 5 setters but nadal is most times able to pull something out and win the match, it seems atm that federer doesn't have any answers, most other players he can step his game up to win, against nadal he can't or hasn't been able to so far (more so on clay). and it looks like nadal is starting to get to a level on other surfaces where he is going to be able to take wins over federer on surfaces besides clay regularly. however we will have to wait and see whether that hardcourt win earlier this year is a sign that he can regularly challenge federer on the faster surfaces (until they play in a slam or he does it consistently outside the slams, but since it's only the one win it's hard to tell atm).

MariaV
06-12-2006, 10:16 AM
The mental game was such a huge factor here, the strokes were almost secondary.
Indeed. :lol:

Tom_Bombadil
06-12-2006, 10:16 AM
don't know whether you're talking to me or not but i agree. nadal is better than federer on clay simple as that. federer has given him some difficult matches i.e. 5 setters but nadal is most times able to pull something out and win the match, it seems atm that federer doesn't have any answers, most other players he can step his game up to win, against nadal he can't or hasn't been able to so far (more so on clay). and it looks like nadal is starting to get to a level on other surfaces where he is going to be able to take wins over federer on surfaces besides clay regularly. however we will have to wait and see whether that hardcourt win earlier this year is a sign that he can regularly challenge federer on the faster surfaces (until they play in a slam or he does it consistently outside the slams, but since it's only the one win it's hard to tell atm).

I agree. ;)

By the way it wasn't to you.

josemanuel
06-13-2006, 03:38 AM
IMO Federer should have sliced more. I didnīt watch it entirely, but Nadal was making some mistakes when he sliced and every1 knows that Fedīs topspin backhand isnīt deep and itīs more like a lob ball. One important key was there. I donīt understimate Rafa but yesterday he was beatable, and Fed should have come more to the net. But well, the match is over.
Good luck on grass Roger!!!!

Cervantes
06-13-2006, 07:41 AM

Surely Nadal counts, but every time Federer makes stupid mistakes we don't see him make normally. It's a mental thing, for sure. I thought he had overcome that hurdle in Rome, but apparently it's still there.

If you look at the match there were a couple of key games:
- the fourth game in the 1st set: 0-40 on Nadal's serve, Fed doesn't convert, we think Nadal wins the game but point overruled and Fed breaks to 4-0, set over.
- the second game in the 2nd set: 40-0 on Fed's serve, ball overruled, easy forehand missed, easy volley missed, another couple of forehands missed, game Nadal. 2-0, Rafa back in match, set over.
- fourth game of the 3rd set: 0-40 on Nadal's serve, first two break points saved by good tennis Nadal, third breakpoint easy forehand error Fed. Rafa saves and breaks next game for set.
- fifth game of the 3rd set: Fed serves, two easy forehands missed (hit above the net) and a smash missed, game Nadal.

Same thing happened in Monte Carlo and to be fair if you keep giving 40-0 games away you can't win.

ae wowww
06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
1) If you're up 6-1 in the first set...show some emotion and let the other player know ur kicking his ass...the whole time during this match Federer looked too passive and unintimidating...He DIDN"T capitalize on making Nadal feel bad about losing the first set..Granted Nadal is mentally tough and it might not have worked but He needs to LEARN SOME TENNIS PSYCHOLOGY

2) If you lost in Rome trying to Rally with Nadal at the baseline don't be stubborn and think it was a fluke and that you can win by rallying from the baseline...LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES.

3) Hire a new younger coach that actually pays attention to your game, has more energy, and can give you good advice instead of acting like a grandfather figure that takes you out to dinner and talks about the great days of the Aussies..."NO, OPTUS"

4) During the match, BE OPTIMISTIC and stop worrying about all the hype surrounding how great you will be if you win the French Open, ITS EFFECTING YOUR SHOTS...Johhny Mac will always be there to kiss your ___ and praise you over Sampras so don't worry about that

5) COME TO THE NET MORE, you have skills at the net...Nadal has proven that he knows how to put the ball back into play so MAKE NADAL BEAT YOU. The few times that Federer did come to the net Nadal got nervous and made errors

I think these are five very valid points, and it will be interesting to see what Federer does to improve against Nadal on clay.

yuffchen
06-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Wow, Roger should hire you and the other 100 people on this board who think they know tennis better than the #1 player. :retard:

Agree. Why is everybody so clever here? :rolleyes:

spencercarlos
06-13-2006, 02:38 PM

One big thing missing on Federerīs game and that i think he needs to show against Nadal is that he is ready to be there all day long, fighting for every point like Nadal does, show himself ready for the challenge, i agree he seems to passive.

But tennis wise Federer did not applied the same pressure he did in Rome, where he kept going for the Nadalīs backhand pounding there, this time he played with more variety, trying different things, not sticking to a certaing plan, sometimes he seemed defensive, his backhand was awfully short most of the day (and directed to the middle :rolleyes: , other times offensive but going to Nadalīs forehand more than in Rome or hitting way too many errors.
On clay the only way to beat Nadal is to apply 100% pressure, you canīt rally against this guy, he is so good also when being on the offensive, you have to take it to him.
Still clay the worst surface for Federer to play on, he reachs the final, i would like to see Nadal getting far at Wimbledon :p It would be really nice to see that matchup on grass although i fear it wont happen soon.

star
06-13-2006, 02:55 PM
1)

I loved what Mats had to say about this. Basically, he said a winning percentage of 70% at the net doesn't mean you are playing well at the net, it means you are only coming in on a sure thing. All you have to do at the net is to win aroung 55% of the points. And coming in all the time puts the pressure on the opponent to beat you. Maybe he can beat you. But at least you are making him beat you.

But I saw it differently than you did. Federer got beaten cleanly at the net several times, and that made him reluctant to come in. A true serve and volley player (which Federer is not) will come in over and over and not be discouraged when passed. Federer wasn't confident enough to come in often. Plus, Nadal kept him far back and didn't let him make an approach shot that gave Federer the confidence to go to the net.

stebs
06-13-2006, 06:06 PM

I think Roger would've been happy to have the same match the pair had in Rome. It's not like he got demolished, he had match points in that match.