MURRAY, Andy GBR v TIPSAREVIC, Janko SCG
GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA v (9) GINEPRI, Robby USA

(13) MONFILS, Gael FRA v MELZER, Jurgen AUT
KUNITSYN, Igor RUS v REYNOLDS, Bobby USA
SABAU, Razvan ROM v VIK, Robin CZE
Bye v (2) LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO

NaDALiTa
06-11-2006, 05:27 PM
oh jeeeeeeez , can i have a laugh ........all the player that wanted to "kill" Rafa are near him :lol: :lol: ...........but now we are on grass :bigcry:

MariaV
06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Naah, Lleyton didn't want to "kill" him. ;)
And he'll show PHM who's the boss. :)

The Daviator
06-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I think Rafa will surprise on the grass this year, at least he'll have confidence if anything :lol:

Good luck Rafa :D

the_natural
06-12-2006, 05:54 AM
I just hope hes playing more doubles on the grasss, i dont mind him losing 1st or 2nd round in singles but the doubles is more important cos U can win a singles match even on grass from the baseline, but not doubles, and the return is less effective so its more up to the serve and the net play :) good signs for the greatest clay courter/teenage player in history

flavia_am
06-12-2006, 08:58 AM
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡[/COLOR]¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡VAMOS RAFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![COLOR=Red]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck in grass!! :bounce:

Congrats for your victory!!!

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/RAfa54.jpg

LadyNalbandian
06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
how many points he gain with his rg victory?

connectolove
06-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Good Luck Rafa, I hope that you make a good transition.

mallorn
06-12-2006, 06:51 PM
From Reuters:
Agassi praises Nadal's grasscourt attitude

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:09 PM EDT

By Pritha Sarkar

LONDON (Reuters) - French Open champion Rafael Nadal's determination to prove his credentials on grass was applauded by former Wimbledon champion Andre Agassi on Monday.

While many Roland Garros champions opted to put their feet up and shun the grasscourt season, Spaniard Nadal has repeatedly bucked the trend.

"I respect how much he's valued Wimbledon and what he's said about it," said Agassi, who famously boycotted the home of grasscourt tennis during the early stages of his career because of the tournament's all-white attire policy.

"It shows you the competitor's heart he has. Any time you got a ticker like that, you got to leave room for some great things."

Four-times Wimbledon semi-finalist Tim Henman added: "I just like the attitude that he just wants to come and play and challenge himself.

"Irrespective of whether he loses in the first round of Wimbledon or makes the final, you know he's going to be out there to better himself as a player and see how good he can be."

After winning a maiden grand slam title in Paris last year, Nadal legged it to Germany to have a stab at finding his feet on the lawns in Halle.

'BUILDING CONFIDENCE'

That experiment ended in his first match and after skidding out of Wimbledon in the second round, he has opted to try a different strategy this time round.

He has entered both singles and doubles at the Stella Artois Championships in London, which is a stone's throw away from Wimbledon.

"Last year I played in Halle without any concentration," Nadal said after extending his record unbeaten run on clay to 60 matches following his four-set win over world number one Roger Federer in the French Open final.

"But this year I want to concentrate... and play good matches because that's important for building up confidence for Wimbledon."

While the 20-year-old has built an aura of invincibility around him when it comes to his claycourt feats, Agassi warned that the Spaniard had plenty of work to do if he was ever to become a force on the turf.

On current form, Nadal faces an uphill task of even coming close to becoming the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win the French Open and Wimbledon titles back-to-back.

"It's easy to see that he's going to have more difficulty on grass than any other surface from his side of the court," said the American.

Henman added: "With the extreme nature of his game, you know how much he relies on his movement, I think how much harder that will be for him on a grass court.

"But (considering) he won Madrid at the end of last year on a relatively fast court and altitude, he's going to fancy his chances on grass.

"When you compete as well as he does, it's very dangerous to write him off on any type of surface."

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-06-12T180929Z_01_L12545962_RTRIDST_0_SPORTS-SPOR-TENNIS-STELLA-NADAL-COL.XML&archived=False

MariaV
06-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I somewhat heard on ES watching Queen's Melzer vs Monfils that Rafa had booked the training court for 3 pm today. :D

the_natural
06-13-2006, 08:19 AM
how many points he gain with his rg victory?

None :confused: I thought he just defended the points from last year, the one who gained was Federer :sad: i mean good on him but im upset that he is gettin further and further away. I think Rafas best chances on grass will come when he uses his angles more, Is definitaley the best in the game with coming up with angles, like he can get an angle most ppl get from sitting in the side lines persons chair, when he is just a few steps away from the centre mark. Like in the final, he got that extreme inside out forehand that bounced inside the service box and went off court then he did a cross court forehand that did the same. Hes gotta take more risks like that cos he wont be able to wear ne1 down with spin, and he will be great at approaching because of his speed :) just need to learn to flatten out ur shots and ur serve most of all rafa!! Ur Volleying skills are great and ur top spin lob is amazing, its got more spin than any ive ever seen.

Björki
06-13-2006, 10:41 AM
todays OOP TBA
NOT BEFORE 5:00 PM
Feliciano LOPEZ (ESP)/Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs James AUCKLAND (GBR)/Jamie DELGADO (GBR)

silver7
06-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Vamos: Rafa/Feli:D

mallorn
06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
From IOL:
Grass an unsolved problem for clay king Nadal

June 12 2006 at 04:08PM
By Bill Barclay

Paris - If Rafael Nadal wants to remove Roger Federer from the pinnacle of men's tennis, the hard work starts now for the double French Open champion.

The undisputed master on clay, Nadal heads straight from his best surface to his worst by preparing for the Wimbledon grasscourt grand slam at Queen's Club in London this week.

After Wimbledon the Mallorcan returns to hardcourt in preparation for the US Open which starts at the end of August. He has not been beyond round three at either slam.

Federer has won both events for the last two years - Wimbledon for the last three - and they will be the Spanish world number two's true measure of progress from now on.

Grass presents a particular challenge to Spaniards brought up on clay, even though Nadal is a tennis player like no other.

"It's very difficult to move the same on grass because I skid a lot," said the 20-year-old.

"When I go after a difficult ball and then turn back, I skid.

"I don't feel confident. But I'm going to try and need to improve on that."

Nadal's 1-6 6-1 6-4 7-6 victory over Federer in Sunday's French Open final made it 60 matches without defeat on clay.

His last loss on red dirt was in April 2005.

On grass it is a different story.

Nadal has won one just one match on tennis's fastest surface over the past 12 months, a first round win over American Vince Spadea at Wimbledon.

In the second round he looked clumsy and clueless in a four-set defeat by Luxembourg's Gilles Muller.

Nadal said positive thinking was key to his victory over Federer in Paris and he is not about to give up on grass.

Hence his decision to play for the first time at Queen's, where he will be on a hiding to nothing.

The grass at the tournament is faster even than Wimbledon's and he will be up against rested, seasoned grasscourters like Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi.

"I know the normal thing is I'm going to lose in Queen's first round because is very difficult to adapt in just two days," he said.

"I hope to play doubles in Queen's on Tuesday (because) I want to play one match before my singles.

"But this year I want to concentrate... and play good matches because that's important for building up confidence for Wimbledon."
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=4&art_id=qw1150120801909S163&set_id=

mallorn
06-13-2006, 05:41 PM
From Reuters:
Missed train delays Nadal's grass education

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:33 PM IST172
By Pritha Sarkar

LONDON (Reuters) - A missed train disrupted Rafael Nadal's attempts to get better acquainted with grass.

The Spaniard, fresh from winning his second French Open title, was left stranded in a Paris station for two hours on Monday when he missed his connection to London.

After spending more time than he would have cared locked in the Gare de Nord's VIP lounge, Nadal dashed to London's Queen's Club to fit in a practice session as soon as he arrived in the English capital.

"We missed the train and, believe me guys, this is no good. We were there for hours waiting but what can you do? You just wait," Nadal said at the Stella Artois Championships on Tuesday.

"We arrived here at five...and I come here for practice 45 minutes.

"I was hungry to play on grass. But it was not a normal practice (because) I was very tired. I couldn't find the feelings."

Nadal and grass have never seemed compatible.

The traits that make the 20-year-old an incredible force on red dirt, his bludgeoning groundstrokes and ferocious defence, are not enough on the fast surface laid at Wimbledon.

He has won just one match on grass over the past 12 months but the world number two is keen to learn.

"I need to change a lot of things in my head," said the Spaniard, who will be playing singles and doubles this week.

"I need to change a lot of my game and my mentality too. So I gonna practise today.

"I need to play more aggressive. I need to serve with more assertion."

Despite his eagerness to prove his worth on grass, Nadal was under no illusion about his ability to replicate his record claycourt feats on the sport's fastest surface.

"My expectation is to improve but I'm not gonna win 60 consecutive matches on grass," he smiled.
http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-06-13T212124Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-254477-1.xml

Jogg
06-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Busy day for Rafa tomorrow

Centre Court
Matches Start At: 11:30 AM
To Finish: 67(3) 52 Andy MURRAY (GBR) vs Janko TIPSAREVIC (SCG)
followed by
Frank DANCEVIC (CAN) vs Andy RODDICK (USA)
followed by
Tim HENMAN (GBR) vs Ramon DELGADO (PAR)
followed by
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs Mardy FISH (USA)
followed by
Fernando VICENTE (ESP) vs Lleyton HEWITT (AUS)

TBA1
Not Before 4:00 PM
Feliciano LOPEZ (ESP)/Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs James AUCKLAND (GBR)/Jamie DELGADO (GBR)
Not Before 5:00 PM
Robby GINEPRI (USA)/Jordan KERR (AUS) vs Daniele BRACCIALI (ITA)/Ivan LJUBICIC (CRO)

MariaV
06-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah, not ideal with the rain today. :(
Anyway, VAMOS! :bigclap: :bounce:

mallorn
06-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Hmm, he wanted to play the doubles match first but it didn't work out... :(

I was thinking, he's played football for so long, grass can't be that foreign to him as a surface. :shrug: ;)
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4329/71165236gc009stellaartois06131.th.jpg (http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?image=71165236gc009stellaartois06131.jpg)

This is a picture of Rafa with Fernando Gonzalez from Gonzo's blog. Rafa's having strawberries. :lick:
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/4636/0201fy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

From The Times:
The Times June 14, 2006
Nadal must prove he is no one-surface wonder

By Katie Scott

THE Rafael Nadal show is in town. A photo shoot in the Place de la Concorde caused the Spaniard, fresh from his French Open victory in Paris, to miss the Eurostar to London on Monday, but a two-hour wait at the Gare du Nord, a few olives and a couple of autographs later, the 20-year-old arrived safely at Waterloo station.

“We stayed in the VIP area [at the Gare du Nord] just eating olives,” he said. “The train was very, very fast. I was doing a newspaper column for the World Cup and when I finished, I was in London!”

The journey from Paris to London represents, at its roots, a journey from clay to grass. Nadal, having proved his overwhelming dominance on the red dirt with back-to-back victories at Roland Garros, has yet to fulfil his potential on the green turf and makes his debut at the Stella Artois Championships today.

Nadal’s arrival in London is evidence of his commitment to improving on a surface that has so far been an enigma. The world No 2 needs to prove that he is not a one-surface wonder, but faces a tricky opener against Mardy Fish, the American, who is in buoyant mood after his victory at the Surbiton Trophy last week.

This time last year, Nadal opted to play at Halle, in Germany, but after a miserable first-round defeat to Alexander Waske, has opted for the courts of Queen’s Club, West London, which he believes will provide a closer imitation of those at Wimbledon. “I preferred to play in London this year, the court here is more similar,” he said. “Last year I didn’t play very well in Halle so I wanted to change and this is more traditional, no?” Perhaps, but the last French Open champion to play at Queen’s was Ivan Lendl in 1984 and he lost in the first round. Nadal’s best performance at the All England Club came as a 17-year-old in 2003, when he reached the third round before losing to Paradorn Srichaphan, of Thailand. Last year, he suffered a second-round defeat to Gilles Muller, of Luxembourg.

He is realistic about his chances this time round. “I’m not going to win 60 consecutive matches on grass,” he said. “My expectation is to improve. I need to change a lot of my game and my mentality, too. I need to play more aggressively, and I need to serve [on grass] like I do at important moments on clay.”

Nadal’s 1-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-6 victory over Roger Federer tasted sweeter than his maiden triumph 12 months earlier. An injury to his left foot in December, a result of the wear and tear a relentless calendar inflicts on young bodies, had caused him to wonder whether he would ever again be able to reach the dizzy heights of glory in a grand-slam tournament.

Not only did he conquer his fears by defending his title and extending his unbeaten run on clay to 60 matches but also those of medical experts. “I began this season very late, and every time after injury it’s difficult to come back and play well,” he said. “It was my second time and not an easy situation after the injury so it’s a special feeling because I never thought I would do it.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5205-2224841,00.html

veyonce
06-14-2006, 02:01 AM
The Guardian

Late arrival Nadal's quick little steps to mastering grass
After a 60-match unbeaten run on clay, the Spaniard is determined to extend his dominance to grass

Eleanor Preston at Queen's Club
Wednesday June 14, 2006

Rafael Nadal managed to fit in a practice session before the summer showers at the Stella Artois Championships yesterday, but there was much frowning and shaking of that jet-black mane as he went through his drills.

The Spaniard has compiled a 60-match winning streak on clay including Sunday's win over Roger Federer in the Roland Garros final, but grass continues to be something of a challenge. The transition from one surface to the other is not easy for most players, let alone a young man who has just completed the physical and emotional marathon of defending the French Open title.

"I am not with the best freshness but it's OK, no?" said Nadal, who will play a potentially difficult second-round match today against the big-serving American Mardy Fish. "I was practising yesterday. I want to practise, I want to practise a little bit because I want to feel the grass. But I feel a little bit dizzy on court. The legs very tired. So, no, is not easy."

Nadal arrived on Monday but only after a somewhat farcical last-minute dash across Paris to catch the Eurostar, which he recounted at some length in a way which stretched his growing command of English up to its limits and sometimes beyond. "I had in the morning some interviews, some pictures in the centre of Paris, at the Place de la Concorde," he said. "So after I go very fast to the train, for take the train of one o'clock. We arrive 10 to one to the train, we can't take the train. We lost."

Since he is only 20 he has time to solve the puzzle of both international train travel and how to cope with a surface where the ball skids at knee rather than eye level and he is certainly attacking it with a cheery enthusiasm. A decade ago his countrymen used to view the grass-court season as a four-week break but Nadal has made it clear that victory at Wimbledon would mean just as much to him as his two French Open titles, if not more.

Nadal's wish to become a little more "establishment" than his grass-hating compatriots is somewhat at odds with the bandanna and pirate pants but that is part of Nadal's charm - he is every inch the modern player, yet with a conservative streak and a healthy respect for the history of the sport. This year he has chosen to play at Queen's rather than in Halle and admitted yesterday that this was partly to show that he wishes to follow the likes of Pete Sampras and Boris Becker, who used the event to get their grass-court game into gear.

"I prefer play on this, in London this year. Is the same place like Wimbledon, the court is more similar," he said. "Last year I don't play very well in Halle, you know. Is very difficult play here, too. But I want to change and this is more traditional, no?"

He plays nothing like either Sampras or Becker, but the game has moved on and you no longer need to be a 6ft-plus serve and volleyer to have a chance of winning a grass-court title. Nadal could hit his forehand on a meadow full of buttercups and it would still be every bit as potent. His ability to stay in rallies long after everyone else has packed up and gone home is almost as useful on a dry, high bouncing modern grass court as it is on clay.

Taking quick little steps and sudden lunges instead of the sliding and gliding into the ball is a more difficult adjustment, though, and may take more than a couple of English summers. Slide on a grass court and it will ruffle like a cheap carpet - and what's more you are unlikely to be thanked by the ground staff.

"I think when you compete as well as he does, it's very dangerous to write him off on any type of surface," said Tim Henman, who will play Ramon Delgado in the second round at Queen's. "I think with the extreme nature of his game and how much he relies on his movement and how much harder that will be for him on a grass court, you know, I think it's unlikely that he will win Wimbledon. But, you think how far his game's come on on other surfaces..."

"He won Madrid at the end of last year on a pretty fast court. He's going to fancy his chances on grass, I'm sure. I just like the attitude that he just wants to come and play and challenge himself. And irrespective of whether he loses in the first round of Wimbledon or makes the final, you know he's going to be out there to better himself as a player and see how good he can be."

Andy Murray will resume his first- round match against Serbia & Montenegro's Janko Tipsarevic today poised at 6-7, 5-2 and on the verge of taking the contest into a deciding set. Murray led by an early break of serve but dropped the first set on a tiebreaker and was then a break down in the second. It was a subdued start which lacked the aggression and energy which saw him reach the third round at Queen's to such rave reviews a year ago. With the help of some indifferent serving from his opponent, Murray broke back and seemed galvanised into action, hitting the ball and moving with more urgency than he had before.

His fellow Britons Jamie Baker and Alex Bogdanovic lost their first-round matches. Baker went out 6-1, 6-3 to Nadal's next opponent Fish, while Bogdanovic tested Henman's French Open nemesis Dmitry Tursunov of Russia before losing 7-6, 6-4.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2006

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,,1796866,00.html

veyonce
06-14-2006, 02:10 AM
The Independent

Nadal prepares to park tanks on Federer's lawn
By Paul Newman at Queen's Club
Published: 14 June 2006

Roger Federer beware. Rafael Nadal, the man who thwarted the world No 1's hopes of holding all four Grand Slam titles at the same time, is leaving nothing to chance as he starts the grass-court season. The Spaniard was practising here barely 24 hours after his victory over Federer in Sunday's French Open final in Paris and today makes his Stella Artois Championships debut against Mardy Fish.

As Nadal acknowledges, he has plenty of room for improvement on grass. The world No 2 has played at Wimbledon twice, losing to Paradorn Srichaphan in the third round three years ago and to Gilles Muller in the second round last year. Twelve months ago he played in the pre-Wimbledon tournament at Halle, where Federer traditionally hones his grass-court game, and lost in the first round to Alexander Waske.

"I didn't play very well in Halle," Nadal said yesterday. "I prefer to play here this year because Queen's is more like Wimbledon. The courts are more similar to Wimbledon. I wanted to practise a bit yesterday because I wanted to feel the grass. I felt a bit dizzy on court. My legs are very tired."

"But I feel good now. I didn't have a lot of time yesterday because soon after I'd arrived I was out practising. I was on court quite late, came back to dinner, went to sleep and came back here early today. But I feel OK. It's a different tournament, a different situation, a different surface, different expectations."

After his exertions during the clay-court season, which he completely dominated for the second year in succession, Nadal says his only expectation on grass is "to improve".

He should reach the quarter-finals here, where Lleyton Hewitt is likely to lie in wait, and says he will stay in London in the run-up to Wimbledon if he makes the final. If he is knocked out before then he will go home to Majorca for a few days before returning on Sunday.

Nadal knows he will never be as good on grass as he is on clay but is determined to improve. "I need to change a lot of things in my game and mentally," he said. "I need to play more aggressively. I need to serve more decisively. I need to always serve on grass the way that I serve on the important points on clay."

The 20-year-old's hopes of a late afternoon practice session were foiled by rain, which also thwarted Andy Murray as he was on the point of levelling his first-round match against Janko Tipsarevic. The Scot lost the first set 7-6, but fought back well in the second, in which Tipsarevic was serving at 2-5 when play was stopped.

Despite breaking Tipsarevic's serve in the opening game, Murray played a tentative first set, riddled with errors. He seemed reluctant to go for his shots, even after the Serb had to have his right ankle strapped following a fall, and lost the tie-break 7-3.

Murray's frustrations were clear when he was given a code violation for an "audible obscenity". When he dropped serve in the first game of the second set the omens were not good, but he broke back immediately and had played himself back into the match before the clouds broke. Play was eventually called off for the day at 6.30pm.

Although Murray has had a difficult last four months - beset by injuries and illness, he had won only three of his past 12 matches before arriving here and is still looking for a new coach after parting company with Mark Petchey - this is a tournament that should bring back good memories.

He recorded his first victory on the senior tour here a year ago and followed that up by beating Taylor Dent, the world No 30, and coming within two points of beating Thomas Johansson, the No 20, before suffering an ankle injury and cramp.

Alex Bogdanovic, the British No 4, and Jamie Baker, the No 8, both went out in the first round yesterday. Baker, 19, playing his first match at this level, struggled to make any impact against Fish and won only four games.

Bogdanovic fared better against Russia's Dmitry Tursunov. Bogdanovic lost the last three points of the first-set tie-break and Tursunov did not break serve until the ninth game of the second set before serving out to win 7-6, 6-4.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article994023.ece

veyonce
06-14-2006, 02:12 AM
monstersandcritics.com

Nervous Nadal on hold as weather cancels Queen's play
By Bill Scott Jun 13, 2006, 18:58 GMT

London - Mardy Fish will have to wait a day before putting Rafael Nadal to his first grass-court test of the season after rain forced cancellation of matches at the Stella Artois Championship Tuesday.

The unseeded Fish, ranked 86th and with a Challenger trophy from Surbiton last week firmly in his possession, rolled over British wild card Jamie Baker 6-1, 6-3 and into a clash with the top seed.

Nadal was to have played doubles with Feliciano Lopez, but that match also never got on court.

Instead, the world number 2 napped away a lazy afternoon, sleeping for two hours on a couch in the cramped and busy player lounge at the west London club.

Spain's newly crowned double French Open champion was set to dive into his grass campaign just hours after defeating Roger Federer for the title in Paris on clay.

After arriving late Monday by Eurostar train, Nadal had an evening hit to get used to conditions. "I want to practice," said the Spaniard. "I want to feel the grass. But my legs felt very tired on court."

Others hit by the weather bad luck included three-time champion Andy Roddick, and 2003 Wimbledon finalist Mark Philippoussis.

Roddick was opening his campaign for a fourth straight title against Canadian Frank Dancevic, a qualifier ranked 127th. Philippoussis was playung South African Wesley Moodie.

Fifth seed James Blake got through before the rain as he began his clay-court season with a 7-5, 6-1 dismissal of compatriot Justin Gimelstob.

Victory put Blake into the third round after the first-round byes given to the top eight seeds.

Blake, a career-high seventh in the world, owns two titles this season. He reached the third round at Queen's a year ago and lost a grass final in Newport in 2002.

The 15th-seeded California-based Russian Dmitry Tursunov, whose application a decade ago for American citizenship has so far brought nil results, advanced into the second round over Brit Alex Bogdanovic 7-6 (7-4), 6-4.

Thai Paradorn Srichaphan, seeded 16th, began resurrecting his season after seven losses on clay, winning on grass 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) against Belgian Dick Norman.

Nicolas Mahut put out fellow Frenchman and Roland Garros quarter-finalist Julien Benneteau 6-4, 6-1.

Briton Andy Murray, who made his breakthrough at Queen's a year ago, lost his first set to Serb Janko Tipsarevic 7-6 (7-3), but led the second 5-2.

© 2006 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

http://sport.monstersandcritics.com/tennis/article_1172412.php/Nervous_Nadal_on_hold_as_weather_cancels_Queens

Mimi
06-14-2006, 02:30 AM
oh, first round mardy fish :eek: , seems a difficult opponent :eek: , wish nadal the best :wavey:

thank you so much veyonce for the articles :worship:

mallorn
06-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Rafa's Tuesday interview:
June 13, 2006
An interview with:
RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Can you just perhaps take us through what happened to you yesterday in Paris, what you did yesterday, and what time you arrived here.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, yesterday I -- tomorrow I had in the morning some interviews, some pictures in the center of Paris, Concorde de Place? :lol:

BENITO PEREZ-BARBADILLO: Place de Concorde.

RAFAEL NADAL: Si, Place de Concorde.

So after I go very fast to the train, for take the train of one o'clock. We arrive ten to one to the train, we can't take the train. We lost (smiling).

So after I -- we wait in the train station for two hours, so we take the train at 3:15. We arrive here at 5. I go to the hotel for half an hour, and I come here for practice 45 minutes.

Q. Was Sunday a big celebration, late-night celebration?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, sure, is important celebration, no, but not too much, no? I go to dinner with my team, with family, with the sponsors.

After we go out, no, but not a long time because I need play here.

Q. What did you do for two hours in the Gare de Nord?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, we stay in the VIP, just eating olives (smiling).

Q. Is that your first time on the Eurostar?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, yeah, first time.

Q. Were you okay in the tunnel?

RAFAEL NADAL: Very fast. I was thinking is not like this, no? Is very, very fast. I was doing the, I don't know, the article, the column for the World Cup, and is very fast. Because when I finish, I am in London.

Q. When you were at the train station and also on the train, did a lot of people come and talk to you and want autographs or not?

RAFAEL NADAL: In the train station, outside of VIP, yes. But inside of VIP is not too much people. Yeah, some ones coming.

And in the train, no. In the train, well, we are with calm, no? Not a lot of people in the train, no? Some people, yes, but I remember I was with calm.

I don't remember exactly.

Q. Why this year did you decide you wanted to come and play this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: I prefer play on this, in London this year. Is the same place like Wimbledon, the court is more similar. Last year I don't play very well in Halle, you know. Is very difficult play here, too.

But I want to change, and this is more traditional, no?

Q. How do you arrive here? Do you arrive a little bit tired from last week, or are you refreshed? Are you up for it?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, not with the best freshness (smiling).

But it's okay, no? I was practicing yesterday. I want to practice, I want to practice a little bit because I want to feel the grass. But I feel a little bit dizzy on court. The legs very tired.

So, no, is not easy, huh?

Q. You think it's silly to have Roland Garros and Wimbledon so close together?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, always is the same question. But for sure yes.

Q. Do you stay in London next week also?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. If I play very good - is difficult, I know - but if I play very good here, I gonna be here, no? I don't go to Mallorca, no?

But if I lose before the final, I go to Mallorca for one or two days, no? And if I lose tomorrow, I gonna be in Mallorca for three days, four days. And in Sunday, Sunday night, I come back.

Q. Can you relax here? Can you be a little bit more relaxed? In Paris, everyone is expecting you to reach the final, maybe to win. Here, nobody is expecting you to win perhaps this title or Wimbledon. Can you be a bit more relaxed in yourself?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's okay. I feel good here, no? I was arriving here, I don't have a lot of time because I go to practice a little late. I go to practice, I come back to dinner, go to sleep. Today I am coming here soon.

But it's okay maybe. It's different tournament, is different situations, different surface, different expectation, no?

Q. What is your expectation?

RAFAEL NADAL: My expectation is improve.

Q. Do you enjoy playing on grass, or is it something you feel you have to do?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not yesterday, but I like it (smiling).

Q. Who are you going to practice with today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I have court at one with Feliciano, one hour. And after, at four, I have another court with (indiscernible) no, coach.

Q. Thinking back to Sunday, what about your win most pleased you, about the way you played and the victory? What was the most pleasing element of your win?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. Can you --

Q. The most pleasing thing, the most pleasing feeling, the most pleasing element of your win?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know exactly because win a Grand Slam title is special. It's my second time in not easy situation after my injury. So is a special feeling because I never, and I was thinking that before, no?

Now I improve unbelievable. The year, the season, I begin very late. And, you know, after the injury every time is very difficult come back and play good, no? You can see a lot of players. I saw when you are some time out of the tour without competition, is very tough come back and play good, and play good soon, no?

So I never think that before, and I begin very good, and is a big surprise for me.

Q. Is there a time when you think you will be as strong on grass as you are on clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure not.

Q. Not?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, because I don't gonna win 60 matches on grass consecutive (smiling).

Q. What do you have to do to your game to improve on grass, do you think?

RAFAEL NADAL: I need change a lot of things, no? But I don't know. Maybe now is not the best moment for speak about that because I just arrive yesterday. I need change a lot of things of my head. I need change a lot of my game, no, and my mentality, too.

So I gonna practice today, right now, and we will see after this practice. Because yesterday just is (speaking Spanish)...

BENITO PEREZ-BARBADILLO: First contact.

RAFAEL NADAL: Is the first contact for practice because I was hungry for play on grass. But is not a normal practice, no? I am very tired. I can't feel the feelings. :D This reminded me of his answer at last year's RG, "A little bit little."

So today we gonna see what I need change, no? I need to play more aggressive. I need serve with more decision. I need serve always here the same like the important moments on clay.

Q. Do you want to or have you given yourself a big present as a celebration for winning a second French?

RAFAEL NADAL: If I have a big present?

Q. To yourself.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. Why? No.

Q. Why not?

RAFAEL NADAL: And why yes? It's okay (laughing).

My present is win the tournament. I am very happy for come back, for win this tournament, no, for come back and be in the top level of the world. That's very nice for me, and I am very happy for that.

Q. Are there any grass courts in Mallorca?

RAFAEL NADAL: Artificial grass courts? Grass courts maybe in two places.

Q. Two places?

RAFAEL NADAL: But not natural.

Q. Have you ever played on them?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, last year before Wimbledon. But they don't give me the (best?) result.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...
http://www.stellaartoistennis.com/news/transcripts/nadal613.pdf

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
06-14-2006, 03:48 PM
7-6, 6-1!!!!

VAMOS!!

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
06-14-2006, 03:49 PM
He played so well! the transition to grass is going good!!!!

next up he's playing Verdasco... who do i cheer for??!!

MariaV
06-14-2006, 03:50 PM
OMG that's a long interview. :lol:
RAFA BEAT MARDY 7-6 (1) 6-1!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :bounce: :yippee: :dance:
That was impressive!! Fenomenal as the ES commentators said!
Next match vs Verdasco tomorrow. :)

mallorn
06-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Yes, he really was very impressive. Such solid serving throughout the match, and the other shots worked as well. :D

Keep up the good work, Rafa! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

MariaV
06-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Aniaaaaaaa! :wavey: :hug: That was really impressive!!!! He is a wonderman! :D
I bet he's not going to Mallorca this week now. ;)

mallorn
06-14-2006, 04:17 PM
God I hope not...that's a really bad idea. One would think he's learnt something from his own mistakes (going back home after Cinci last year) but here he is thinking of doing the same. :smash: I guess I know why he wants to go back, but still, bad idea if he wants to do any damage on grass. http://bestsmileys.com/nono/6.gif

NaDALiTa
06-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Wow Rafita is even impressive on grass .... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Let's see in Wimbly's final.....i'm kidding :lol: :lol:

silver7
06-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Good result!!
VAMOOOSSS RAFA

MariaV
06-14-2006, 04:46 PM
God I hope not...that's a really bad idea. One would think he's learnt something from his own mistakes (going back home after Cinci last year) but here he is thinking of doing the same. :smash: I guess I know why he wants to go back, but still, bad idea if he wants to do any damage on grass. http://bestsmileys.com/nono/6.gif
Hehe! ;) :aplot: :aplot: I mean I cannot imagine having a relationship and like 'all the world' watching. :rolleyes: :bolt: I feel really sorry for them.
OK, I'm NOT discussing it.
And I think he's learned from the last year's (Cincy) mistake. He is absolutely incredible learner! ;)

Björki
06-14-2006, 04:48 PM
:woohoo:

Andre forever
06-14-2006, 05:06 PM
anyone pls? can i watch this thru livestream? i don't see this match anywahere on tv right now :(

MariaV
06-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Nadal makes easy transition to grass

LONDON (AP) - French Open champion Rafael Nadal made a smooth transition to grass Wednesday, beating Mardy Fish 7-6 (1), 6-1 in his debut in the Wimbledon warmup tournament at Queen's Club.

The top-seeded Spaniard, coming off his victory over Roger Federer in the French Open final and 60th straight win on clay, looked sharp as he posted only his fourth win in seven career matches on grass.
"I improved in the match," Nadal said. "I feel confident with myself. It was very important for me this match."

Nadal, who lost the opening game at love, got stronger as the match progressed.

There were no break points in the first set, but Fish missed a key opportunity in the 12th game. Leading 30-15 on Nadal's serve, the American missed an easy backhand volley that would have given him two set points. Nadal then swept through the tiebreaker losing just one point.

The first break point of the match came in the second game of the second set, and Fish double-faulted to put Nadal up 2-0. Nadal hit a dropshot to hold off a break point in the next game, and broke for 5-1.

Nadal served out the match in the next game, saving a break point before finishing with a service winner. He pumped his left fist, did a little hop and flashed a broad smile.

"It was a perfect day for us," Nadal said, noting that he had watched the first half and part of the second half of Spain's 4-0 win over Ukraine in the World Cup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/5693394

That's some of what he was asked after the match. :D
And nice wrapup of the match. Pretty accurate. :)

mallorn
06-14-2006, 07:20 PM
From Reuters:
Nadal inspired by Spain's World Cup triumph

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:49 PM BST
By Pritha Sarkar

LONDON, June 14 (Reuters) - Spain's spectacular start to their soccer World Cup campaign inspired Rafael Nadal to make an impressive debut at the Stella Artois Championships on Wednesday.

The French Open champion had been glued to a television set in the Queen's Club locker room as he followed the fortunes of his national soccer team against Ukraine.

But with Spain scenting a memorable victory in Leipzig, Nadal reluctantly had to go on court and focus on his own battle against American Mardy Fish at the grasscourt championships in London.

"I saw the match until 3-0 and then I had to go on court," Nadal said following his 7-6 6-1 win over Fish.

"I saw the best team today, (and) then my match was a good surprise. I knew Mardy Fish would be a difficult match on grass.

"I felt good because I had good ball control. And when I played aggressively, I felt comfortable."

By the time Nadal completed his 75-minute win over his American opponent, Spain's soccer team were celebrating a 4-0 win and the 20-year-old was in buoyant mood.

"I'm very, very happy," the top seed after winning only his second match on grass over the past 12 months.

"The first victory is important... especially to get confidence for Wimbledon. Now I'll get to play another match here and is very important for me play some matches before Wimbledon."

While many previous Roland Garros champions opted to put their feet up and shun the grasscourt season, Nadal has repeatedly bucked the trend.

After winning a maiden grand slam title in Paris last year, Nadal travelled to Germany to have a stab at finding his feet on the lawns in Halle.

That experiment ended in his first match and after skidding out of Wimbledon in the second round, he has opted to try a different strategy this time round.

He has entered both singles and doubles at the Stella Artois Championships in London, which is a stone's throw away from Wimbledon.

He is now relishing the challenge of adapting his fearsome claycourt skills on turf.

"It's very nice to play on grass," said Nadal, who is unbeaten on clay for a record 60 consecutive matches.

"(Adjusting) the baseline game is very nice because you can put the slice, you can go to the net, you can go a little bit more slow, you can go little bit more fast.

"On clay, you need put all (your energies) on playing tough. Here, you can play different styles."
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=2006-06-14T174924Z_01_L14835471_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-TENNIS-STELLA-NADAL.XML&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

MariaV
06-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Rafa had a relaxing 'training' session with Feli Lopez in dubs after his singles match vs J. Auckland / J. Delgado and lost 3-6 6-7 (3). Anyway, enjoy grass Rafael. :D

Alexandy
06-14-2006, 09:14 PM
I am sooo happy for Rafa. :) I hope he can have some good results so people will stop saying he can only play on clay. He has a great game and I lke it when he's more agressive.

mallorn
06-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Rafa's post match conference:
June 14, 2006
R. NADAL/M. Fish
7-6, 6-1
An interview with:
RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Rafa.

Q. Good day for Spain.

RAFAEL NADAL: Very good.

Q. How much of the match did you see before you had to go and play?

RAFAEL NADAL: I saw the match until 3-0 when we had the third, and I go to the court.

But maybe today I saw the best team now since beginning the World Cup. Maybe today I saw the best game, no? For me, not just for Spain. I saw a lot of matches. Sure, is Spain (smiling). But I saw the best team today. We play very fast and aggressive all the time.

Q. So with that win, Spain's win, and your win, you must be very content? You must be very happy?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I'm very happy, sure. Very happy.

Q. You looked very comfortable out there playing today.

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, I am serious. Was very important victory for me, no? Is very good surprise. I know Mardy Fish is a very difficult match on grass. He has a very good serve. In the first set I cannot return too much balls, no, when I receive.

But after, in the tiebreak, he miss-take two first serves. I go a little bit back with the second. I put the ball and play the point. I feel good because I have a good control of ball. And when I go to the -- when I play a little bit more aggressive, I feel comfortable, too, no?

Maybe I play a very good match. I just have two hours and a half before this match on grass. So that's very important and very difficult, no?

Q. Do you feel tired at all after two weeks of hard work in Paris?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, a little bit. Yeah, I feel a little bit tired, sure. But especially the muscles, little bit tough. And surface change is a tough change.

But this first victory is very important, no? Is important for this tournament, for me. Is important for get confidence for Wimbledon, too, no?

Q. What did you think of the atmosphere? It's a very different kind of atmosphere at this club to normal. What did you think?

RAFAEL NADAL: I like a lot the atmosphere of grass, no? Is a different atmosphere (speaking Spanish.)

THE MODERATOR: Ceremonious.

RAFAEL NADAL: It's different, no? I feel I am playing very important thing when I go to the court because all the people stay with calm, silence. So is different, no? So the points always is very short, just one ball. :lol: So is different. Different sport (smiling).

Q. Do you like it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I say always, no, I like a lot grass. Is very nice play on grass. Is difficult sometimes when you play against a big server. But if we just have one serve for play, is gonna be unbelievable, unbelievable game on grass, no? Will be very nice because the game of the baseline is very nice because you can put the slice, you can go to the net, you can go a little bit more slow, you can go little bit more fast. In the greenset, in clay, you need put all time play tough. Here, you can play different styles, yeah. So just with the first serve the match is not the same.

Q. You have a tremendous kind of record in tiebreaks. You like the intensity of a tiebreak, don't you? You enjoy that kind of -- it's got to be quick, you've got to play your best shots in a short space of time.

RAFAEL NADAL: Is important play good the tiebreaks, no? Is very important, this. Always pressure moments. Is very important, the first points. And after you have to think always, no? If you are losing 4-2, 5-2, 4-1, always you have chance because the rival is playing with a lot of pression, too, no? So you can have one good point, 4-2, 4-3, the match is very close in these moments. Every player feel the pression. Me, too, but the other one, too, no?

Q. Your English is getting better all the time. Do you still have lessons every day?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. But if you want, I can (laughing). :yeah: Well I do! ;)

Q. In the last three months.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I improve. No, I don't have lesson. But every day I have lesson, no? Every day I ask, What is this word? So every day I need to speak. So that's good for my English improve.

Q. Are you happy describing the way you play in a foreign language?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I want improve, sure. But now is what there is, no?

Q. The other day you said that this first match on grass, that you weren't sure how you would play and if you would win. So are you surprised at yourself?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I'm surprised, no? I say before, no, is a very important victory for me, this. Because now I play another match here, and is very important for me play some matches before Wimbledon, no? I have little bit exhibition before Wimbledon, two matches. I don't know in this club, any club. Which club? The exhibition before Wimbledon?

Q. Are you going to Stoke Park? Boodles?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know.

Q. Here?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, is in London. Is important. Is important have more matches before, no?

Q. Will it be strange playing a Spaniard on grass against Fernando? You play Fernando Verdasco next.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. So to play a Spaniard on grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, is okay. He's playing well, no? He pass the qualify. He win two matches here, so he have five victories now, five victories on grass. So he has a good experience now, a lot of matches, more than me. So maybe he's the favorite for that, no, because he is not the same. Is always is different.

But I gonna play my best, no? I gonna play my best. I want to play good, and I gonna try win this match.

Q. You have dinner with Fernando when you're here?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't have dinner with him yet before. But I don't know. Today, I don't know. You never know, no? I have my coach, Feliciano. So if Verdasco come, perfect. No problems.

Q. Because it was so mentally intense in Paris, are you trying to have maybe more relaxation in the evenings, maybe get out a bit when you're here in England next week?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I go to dinner to El Cambio de Terg'o. Is a Spanish restaurant here. I like a lot the restaurant. Every year when I come back here, I go there. So I will have good relation with the chef, with the management. So is -- I enjoy there, no? I can stay with calm and speak with my friends and with my coach, Feliciano, every. I feel good, no?

http://www.stellaartoistennis.com/news/transcripts/nadal614.pdf

mallorn
06-14-2006, 10:53 PM
From The Times:
The Times June 15, 2006

Nadal avoids being put out to grass as Britons endure mixed fortunes

By Neil Harman, Tennis Correspondent

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8035/0309947000xu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Weathering the storm: Nadal stretches to retrieve a backhand as he withstands a barrage of 12 aces from Fish to advance to the second round at Queen's Club (LUKE MACGREGOR / REUTERS)

TRADITIONALLY, when Tim Henman finishes a match at Queen’s Club, the stands empty and there is a crush in the Pimm’s queue. Yesterday, with a fitting display of British decorum, the patrons lingered to greet Rafael Nadal, who had won the French Open title three days earlier and, more remarkably, they decided to watch him play.

The buzz was that Henman performed so delightfully against Ramon Delgado, of Paraguay, that those who sneakily fancy him, at 31, to shine at Wimbledon were in full nudge-nudge-wink-wink mode — much as those who wonder what lies in wait for Andy Murray were troubled by the Scot’s departure.

On strode Nadal for his first exposure to the Centre Court at the Stella Artois Championships, brandishing his racket in gratitude at his reception, bounding to the net for the pre-match formalities, eyeing Mardy Fish, all the while suspicious of how terra firma would treat him.

Fish, the American, had won the grass-court challenger in Surbiton last week at the same time as Nadal was reworking his magic against Roger Federer in Paris. From the moment he had been introduced to the tournament staff here for the first time on Monday afternoon, Nadal had been the epitome of courtesy and respect. “We can’t believe how fantastic he’s been for us,” Chris Kermode, the assistant tournament director, said.

Initially, the 20-year-old was tentative, as one might expect, for having spent three months sliding around, hitting vicious top spin, creating wondrous angles and leaping in celebration of glorious victories, it was tricky to know exactly how he should behave. To flex or not to flex his biceps, that was the question. “This is a ceremonious place, no?” he said.

Best simply show London folk how he plays and with his 7-6, 6-1 victory over Fish, who at one stage served four double faults in a row, he demonstrated just how special he is. “Seriously, this is a very important victory for me,” Nadal said. “A very good surprise. I had only played 2½ hours on grass since arriving here and it is a tough surface to change to. But I like to play here, it has a silence. It is a different sport.”

Today he meets Fernando Verdasco, a fellow Spaniard and left-hander.

In the past Henman has remarked that peaceful Queen’s crowds have lured him into a somnambulistic state. Against Delgado, playing only his second match on the tour proper since February, he had both his opponent and the patrons where he wanted them. He is striking the ball with a healthy degree of purpose, at the same time finding the appropriate balance between defence and attack and constructing points at his tempo, rather than in response. Let us hope the results today do not offer up a quarter-final meeting with Dmitry Tursunov, his Russian nemesis, tomorrow.

First, Henman, who defeated Delgado 6-2, 6-4, faces Nicolas Mahut, of France. In his present form, he represents a real force, not least when he can point to a strike-rate of 28 from 31 first serves. And Henman remains one of the finest returners on the surface, a fact rarely acknowledged.

Playing Andre Agassi in the first round meant that Henman could not afford to rest on his laurels (Agassi has entered the Boodles Challenge at Stoke Park next week). He needed to be razor sharp from the moment he stepped on court and he did not disappoint.

For Murray, the stagnation continues. Though he won the second set against Janko Tipsarevic, of Serbia and Montenegro, he could not sustain the momentum yesterday, to the extent that he was listless and encumbered in the third.

“I need to go and think about how I played and how I’m going to structure my practice to improve the things I did badly,” he said. “A coach is not the easiest thing to find, there are a lot of complications.”

Which, where Murray is now, is the last thing he needs.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5205-2226119,00.html

mallorn
06-14-2006, 10:54 PM
From The Independent:
15 June 2006 00:46
Nadal prepares to park tanks on Federer's lawn

Published: 14 June 2006

Roger Federer beware. Rafael Nadal, the man who thwarted the world No 1's hopes of holding all four Grand Slam titles at the same time, is leaving nothing to chance as he starts the grass-court season. The Spaniard was practising here barely 24 hours after his victory over Federer in Sunday's French Open final in Paris and today makes his Stella Artois Championships debut against Mardy Fish.

As Nadal acknowledges, he has plenty of room for improvement on grass. The world No 2 has played at Wimbledon twice, losing to Paradorn Srichaphan in the third round three years ago and to Gilles Muller in the second round last year. Twelve months ago he played in the pre-Wimbledon tournament at Halle, where Federer traditionally hones his grass-court game, and lost in the first round to Alexander Waske.

"I didn't play very well in Halle," Nadal said yesterday. "I prefer to play here this year because Queen's is more like Wimbledon. The courts are more similar to Wimbledon. I wanted to practise a bit yesterday because I wanted to feel the grass. I felt a bit dizzy on court. My legs are very tired.

"But I feel good now. I didn't have a lot of time yesterday because soon after I'd arrived I was out practising. I was on court quite late, came back to dinner, went to sleep and came back here early today. But I feel OK. It's a different tournament, a different situation, a different surface, different expectations."

After his exertions during the clay-court season, which he completely dominated for the second year in succession, Nadal says his only expectation on grass is "to improve".

He should reach the quarter-finals here, where Lleyton Hewitt is likely to lie in wait, and says he will stay in London in the run-up to Wimbledon if he makes the final. If he is knocked out before then he will go home to Majorca for a few days before returning on Sunday.

Nadal knows he will never be as good on grass as he is on clay but is determined to improve. "I need to change a lot of things in my game and mentally," he said. "I need to play more aggressively. I need to serve more decisively. I need to always serve on grass the way that I serve on the important points on clay."

The 20-year-old's hopes of a late afternoon practice session were foiled by rain, which also thwarted Andy Murray as he was on the point of levelling his first-round match against Janko Tipsarevic. The Scot lost the first set 7-6, but fought back well in the second, in which Tipsarevic was serving at 2-5 when play was stopped.

Despite breaking Tipsarevic's serve in the opening game, Murray played a tentative first set, riddled with errors. He seemed reluctant to go for his shots, even after the Serb had to have his right ankle strapped following a fall, and lost the tie-break 7-3.

Murray's frustrations were clear when he was given a code violation for an "audible obscenity". When he dropped serve in the first game of the second set the omens were not good, but he broke back immediately and had played himself back into the match before the clouds broke. Play was eventually called off for the day at 6.30pm.

Although Murray has had a difficult last four months - beset by injuries and illness, he had won only three of his past 12 matches before arriving here and is still looking for a new coach after parting company with Mark Petchey - this is a tournament that should bring back good memories.

He recorded his first victory on the senior tour here a year ago and followed that up by beating Taylor Dent, the world No 30, and coming within two points of beating Thomas Johansson, the No 20, before suffering an ankle injury and cramp.

Alex Bogdanovic, the British No 4, and Jamie Baker, the No 8, both went out in the first round yesterday. Baker, 19, playing his first match at this level, struggled to make any impact against Fish and won only four games.

Bogdanovic fared better against Russia's Dmitry Tursunov. Bogdanovic lost the last three points of the first-set tie-break and Tursunov did not break serve until the ninth game of the second set before serving out to win 7-6, 6-4.
http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article994023.ece

PoderShileno
06-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Go Rafa :yeah:

The Daviator
06-15-2006, 01:02 AM
That was terrific from Rafa today, a really impressive display, better than Roddick and Hewitt :eek:

I'm sure he'll get past Verdasco tomorrow :yeah:

veyonce
06-15-2006, 02:08 AM
The Telegraph

Nadal survives surface switch
By Mark Hodgkinson
(Filed: 15/06/2006)

After the flashbulbs and the full-on madness of being the King of Clay at Roland Garros, Rafael Nadal certainly enjoyed the way that the Queen's Club crowds showed their appreciation yesterday as he made his first appearance at the Stella Artois Championships. It was still adulation, just a little quieter.

Never mind that on almost any other week Nadal's blue pirate pants and muscle-vest would probably not have passed the club's strict clothing rules. Nadal, a double French Open champion after Sunday's defeat of Roger Federer at Roland Garros, delighted the locals with his 7-6, 6-1 defeat of American Mardy Fish, a match which confirmed that he is desperate to adapt to playing on grass.

Nadal, a 20-year-old from Majorca, sounded like an Anglophile afterwards. "It feels very traditional at Queen's Club," he said. "I feel like I am playing a very important thing when I go to the court because all the people stay calm and there is silence. So it's different."

Nadal was the first French Open champion to come straight from the red earth of Roland Garros to the green grass of Queen's Club since Czech Ivan Lendl made the trip back in 1984. And yet, after winning the tie-break, it never appeared as though Nadal was going to endure the same unfortunate welcome that Lendl had to London 22 years ago when he was defeated in his opening match. And so, after surviving the first step of switching surfaces, Nadal will next play another Spaniard, Fernando Verdasco.

What made Nadal's performance all the more impressive was that he had had less than three hours on grass before the match against Fish. And also that Fish had arrived at Queen's Club with some grasscourt form, having won the Surbiton Challenger on the same afternoon that Nadal was retaining his French title. Perhaps Nadal had been inspired by Spain's opening match of the World Cup, an impressive 4-0 defeat of Ukraine. "I was watching the match until Spain got the third goal and then I had to go on court," he said.

Andy Roddick encountered some angst and drama during his opening match, as the American defending champion had to come from a set down for a second-round, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 defeat of Frank Dancevic, a Canadian qualifier.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2006/06/15/stnada15.xml

veyonce
06-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Excerpts from The Independent

Tipsarevic joins list of little-known names to beat Murray
Published: 15 June 2006

Rafael Nadal, fresh from his French Open triumph, watched his fellow countrymen go 3-0 up in the World Cup against Ukraine - "I saw the best team in the World Cup so far," he said after Spain's eventual 4-0 victory - before marking his debut here by beating America's Mardy Fish 7-6, 6-1. Nadal is enjoying the Queen's grass-court experience. "It's different. I feel as though I'm playing in a very important match when I go on the court because all the people are so calm and silent. The points are always very short - just one ball. It's a different sport."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article1004255.ece

The Associated Press

Nadal wins in grass-court tuneup
June 14, 2006

LONDON (AP) -- French Open champion Rafael Nadal made a smooth transition to grass Wednesday, beating Mardy Fish 7-6 (1), 6-1 in his debut in this Wimbledon warmup at Queen's Club.

Three-time champion Andy Roddick rallied for a 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 second-round victory over Canadian qualifier Frank Dancevic. It was Roddick's first match since he quit his first-round match at the French Open because of an injured left ankle.

Nadal, coming off his victory over Roger Federer in the French final and 60th straight win on clay, looked sharp in posting only his fourth win in seven career matches on grass.

"This first victory is very important," the top-seeded Spaniard said. "It's important for this tournament and for me, and it's important that I get confidence for Wimbledon, too."

Nadal's tennis obligations did not prevent him from watching the first half and part of the second of Spain's 4-0 win over Ukraine in the World Cup.

"It was a perfect day for us," Nadal said.

Also advancing to the third round was second-seeded Ivan Ljubicic, who beat Razvan Sabau of Romania, 7-6 (6), 6-2. Lleyton Hewitt, who won three straight Queen's titles between 2000-02, rallied to beat Spain's Fernando Vicente 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Fourth-seeded Nikolay Davydenko of Russia lost 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 to Wang Yeu-tzuoo of Taiwan; seventh-seeded Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic lost to Nicolas Mahut of France beat 6-4, 4-6, 6-2; and 11th-seeded Sebastien Grosjean of France was beaten by Australian wild card Mark Philippoussis 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-3.

In other second-round matches, seeded players to advance included: No. 6 Fernando Gonzalez, No. 9 Robby Ginepri, No. 13 Gael Monfils, No. 15 Dmitry Tursunov and No. 16 Paradorn Srichaphan. No. 10 Thomas Johansson lost in the first round.

Nadal got stronger after losing the opening game at love. The first break point of the match came in the second game of the second set, and Fish double-faulted to put Nadal up 2-0. Nadal hit a drop shot to hold off a break point in the next game and broke for 5-1.

Nadal served out the match in the next game, saving a break point before finishing with a service winner. He pumped his left fist, did a little hop and flashed a broad smile.

Roddick, seeded third, is trying to become the first player to win four straight titles at Queen's. He was on the defensive from the opening set because of Dancevic's powerful serves and consistent returns.

"I felt like I struggled a little bit early," Roddick said. "I wasn't totally comfortable. As the match went on, I played better and better and better."

Dancevic surrendered just four points on serve in the opening set but failed to maintain the pressure in the second. Roddick broke for a 2-1 lead and went on to win the set.

Roddick hit a forehand winner to break for a 4-3 lead in the third set. He closed the match on his fourth attempt, breaking again after Dancevic hit a forehand wide.

"I think the key to the match was once I started making first serve returns and making him play every time," Roddick said. "If he's going to go for broke like that, the more chances I can give him to bust, the better."

Updated on Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 2:27 pm EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-london&prov=ap&type=lgns

the_natural
06-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Well I just hope for a very DRY month in London, the dry courts work to the advantage of the clay courters/baseliners and will give a nice high bounce, although they still play fast.

MariaV
06-15-2006, 09:41 AM
To flex or not to flex his biceps, that was the question. “This is a ceremonious place, no?” he said.
:haha: :haha: I loove the British (quality) press. :lol:
Thanks for the articles girls.

MariaV
06-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Oh, that was tough! 2-6 7-6 (3) 7-6 (3). But a win is a win. :) And he gave a lovely interview after the match. :D Not many free points on serve, long rallies, and over 3 hours, incredible.
But anyway, VAMOS tomorrow vs Lleyton! It's gonna be one fun match again. :)

mallorn
06-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Yes, that was tough, for a lot of reasons. Rafa didn't play his best tennis by a large margin, but he managed to win nevertheless, which gives him more practice on grass. :yeah:

I was enjoying the match very much until Nando called for the trainer and started to hurt. From then on it was totally frustrating to watch Rafa fail to close out the match time after time. I really think his killer instinct is overrated! :fiery: He just can't put an injured opponent away, his concentration GOES! :smash:

I hope this will be a wake up call and he shows better form tomorrow, otherwise it's :bigwave: Queen's.

linus
06-15-2006, 05:59 PM
to be honest, Rafa made me frightened in 3rd set :eek: how could he play like that :lol:

well, you all are right, win is so necessary :yeah: i am not very sure why there are so many pressures on Rafa from GrassSeason :p

Vamos, Rafa guy, for the first grass tournament, you have been so good !!

06-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks to all of you for posting all the great articles and interviews. I believe this is one of the best Forum's for providing information :) And shame on me for not getting here sooner :sad: Rafa has already won two straight single matches on GRASS and I hadn't gotten in here yet to say Congrats and Vamos :) Rafa is improving on grass. He so impresses me because he does want to become an all surface tennis player. And I believe he can :) No I'm not really expecting him to win a title on grass just yet, but I believe he will in the future :) And, of course, if Rafa wants to prove me wrong and win a grass title now I'll be more than happy to be wrong :lol:

mallorn
06-15-2006, 06:59 PM
From Fox Sports:
Nadal lines up Hewitt

From Scott Williams in London
June 16, 2006

RAFAEL Nadal worked for more than three hours on grass overnight to earn a quarter-final with Lleyton Hewitt at Queen's club.

The double French Open champion took his time as he wore down his 30th-ranked compatriot, Fernando Verdasco, 2-6 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-3), claiming victory on his third match point.

Verdasco, forced to qualify after missing the entry deadline, carried on despite being treated for back problems and also jolting his right knee after a sliding, second-set fall.

Nadal beat Hewitt for the first time in four matches in the fourth round at Roland Garros last week, but knows clay form doesn't count for much on grass.

After producing the best grass performance of his career, the 20-year-old world No.2 said he is not ready to consider anything but tonight's (AEST) challenge.

"It will be a very, very tough match, Hewitt is one of the best on grass," said Nadal.

"I want to just play my best. I can't think of winning the tournament, only this next match."

Hewitt, the Queen's holder from 2000-2002, came up with another trademark, grinding comeback to squeeze into the last eight with a 4-6 6-1 7-6 (7-4) qwin over Belarussia's Max Mirnyi.

"Even though grass isn't their favorite and best surface, these (Spanish) guys are class players and are able to play well," said Hewitt.

"He's gonna be a tough match, it will be a totally different to Mirnyi today."
Nadal had his troubles with Verdasco, whom he's now beaten all five times they have played.

"I'm playing the best I can," he said. "I want to improve on grass. I like playing on it, but it's difficult for me to play rally well on it. I want to improve my game."
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19486877-23216,00.html

Jogg
06-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Vamos Rafa :bounce: I'm happy he won even though it was a bit scary at times :lol: :p

He's done really well getting to the Quarter's :bounce:

MariaV
06-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Rafa - Hewitt up 2nd. I HOPE to see some of it. BUENA SUERTE RAFA! :bigclap: :bounce: And take it easy, will ya. ;)
CENTRE COURT (start 1:00 PM)
(15)D Tursunov (RUS) v T Henman (GBR)
(1)R Nadal (ESP) v (8)L Hewitt (AUS)
(6)F Gonzalez (CHI) v (3)A Roddick (USA)

mallorn
06-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Rafa's interview:
June 15, 2006
R. NADAL/F. Verdasco
2-6, 7-6, 7-6
An interview with:
RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How do you feel?

RAFAEL NADAL: Tired.

Q. I don't know if you know this or not, but grass court tennis is meant to be quite quick.

RAFAEL NADAL: I know. Three hours, no?

Q. Three hours on the court is not normally what goes on.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. Did it surprise you as well? It just went on and on.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, is very last match, but Verdasco call the trainer. The trainer stay five minutes for come to the court. After, Verdasco with his show stop a lot the match. So is a long match.

Q. You must have thought on both occasions he might stop. He seemed to be in terrible pain - the back, then the groin?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't want to speak of that, please, because I don't understand very well because he had a lot of pain but he play --

Q. Brilliant.

RAFAEL NADAL: Very, very hard. He play unbelievable forehand, unbelievable backhand.

Q. How do you feel you played?

RAFAEL NADAL: I feel tired in the beginning. My legs is not going very well. After, in the second set, I can improve a little bit. I come back with a very good attitude maybe because is not easy, no, a lot of days out of home, change of surface, a lot of matches. But I am happy for that, no? I come back with very good attitude, positive, and the fact that I can play good the tiebreak maybe. And in the third set the match is 3-0, 4-1, but all change after.

Q. How do you feel about playing Lleyton again?

RAFAEL NADAL: I know is very difficult match, no? Is one of the best players on grass. I gonna try my best, no? Is very good, is very important for me stay here in the quarterfinals. Is a very good tournament for me. Is very difficult after lot of time playing on clay come back and play and win two matches.

So tomorrow is a nice experience for me, no? That's very good for my confidence for Wimbledon. Tomorrow I will play against one very good player on grass, so I will see his match, no, his game.

So that's important for improve on grass, too, no? Because he play not too much difference like me, no, and he play very good in this surface. So I need see him for try imitate a little bit, no?

Q. You obviously expect a very different kind of match to the one in Paris?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure. Is a different sport here and clay, no? Is different. Always different, no? Every tournament is different, but in the same surface, Monte-Carlo and Rome, is different sensations, different feelings, and is difference.

But if you change the surface, especially indoor to clay, grass to clay, so that's very big change. Is a big change.

Q. Because it's Lleyton, will it be quite easy for you to get rid of the tiredness because you know that he's going to be coming at you? You like taking him on, don't you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, for me is important match, is a nice match. He have the pression, sure. I want to enjoy this match. I want to play good and try to win, so I gonna try my best.

Q. Having had two wins on grass this week, that must give you quite a bit of confidence going into the match.

RAFAEL NADAL: Tomorrow I know he's very difficult, but now is important. Is two difficult victories against Fish and against Verdasco, so I know is a good tournament.

Q. Has it surprised you at all, how well you're doing here after Paris?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is very difficult come here and after three, four months playing on clay and I just have one day for adapt. And the second day, I (speaking Spanish)...

THE MODERATOR: Theoretically.

RAFAEL NADAL: Theoretically I gonna play the doubles. I play -- my schedule is one hour, twelve to one, practice on Thursday; four to five, practice. And after, doubles. So that's a good practice for me before the Wednesday.

But it's raining, so I can play nothing. And I play on Wednesday just with one hour and a half on court, so is difficult.

http://www.stellaartoistennis.com/news/transcripts/nadal615.pdf

the_natural
06-16-2006, 06:37 AM
I dont think he will beat Hewitt, I wont be suprised if its a straight sets convincing loss because Hewitt is coming back into his old form, the form he has lacked since AO 05 (And before that), 01/02 before his burnout in 03 when he started playing less agressive and more defensive. However I reckon Rafa will put his best foot forward and give hewitt a bit of a workout at least. If he does win I hope He loses in the next round in a tough battle because he needs some rest.

Björki
06-16-2006, 07:04 AM
good luck against Lleyton.

vamos :bounce:

Agassi Fan
06-16-2006, 08:16 AM
You can beat Hewitt!

Vamos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grenouille
06-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Toni his uncle isn't with him this week?

Carlita
06-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Toni his uncle isn't with him this week?Toni's on a little break, Rafa's sharing Feli's coach Francisco Roig for this week. :)

mallorn
06-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Carlita, how's Nando doing? Do you know anything new about that injury?

mallorn
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I dont think he will beat Hewitt, I wont be suprised if its a straight sets convincing loss because Hewitt is coming back into his old form, the form he has lacked since AO 05 (And before that), 01/02 before his burnout in 03 when he started playing less agressive and more defensive. However I reckon Rafa will put his best foot forward and give hewitt a bit of a workout at least. If he does win I hope He loses in the next round in a tough battle because he needs some rest.
Yes, it would be a huge surprise if Rafa won this match. Hewitt is the one who has five grass court titles and Rafa's won five grass court matches in his whole career (I'm not counting juniors). But I hope it'll be a good learning experience for him, the more he's exposed to grass and good grass court players the better for him.

Carlita
06-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Carlita, how's Nando doing? Do you know anything new about that injury?:awww: no sorry, no news yet.... I'm worried though.... :sad:

silver7
06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Rafa retired. I hope it is nothing serious. What a tournament first Nando and now Rafa with an injury:unsure:

freesbee
06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
eek, he retired??? what happened?

Björki
06-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Rafa :sad:

mallorn
06-16-2006, 03:45 PM
:sad: :bigcry: :sobbing:
At 1-2* in the second set he started to strech his left arm, went on to lose the next two games, called for the trainer and had a massage on his shoulder. Lleyton broke for 5-1, then Rafa broke back and held. Lleyton served out the second set 6-3 and Rafa retired, apparently the trainer told him he could make it worse.

KingGuga'sQueen
06-16-2006, 03:50 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Hopefully he'll get plenty of treatment on it, then it shud be okay ready for wimbledon :) . He needs a few days rest anyway, i think maybe he's played too many matches, he doesn't want to burn himself out.

Get well soon Rafa!!!

freesbee
06-16-2006, 04:00 PM
thanks for the explanation Mallorn!
:sad: poor Rafa, I hope he gets better soon.

mallorn
06-16-2006, 04:05 PM
:awww: no sorry, no news yet.... I'm worried though.... :sad:
Gee, look at the turn of events. :sobbing: :hug: I hope they're both OK. :awww:

KingGuga'sQueen
06-16-2006, 04:46 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/msrocks111/36_22_261.gif http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/msrocks111/24_9_241.gif!!!!!!!

06-16-2006, 05:02 PM
I hope Rafa heals completely and quickly. However, as long as this is not a serious injury it may be the best thing to happen to Rafa. Because I agree that Rafa does need some time off. He has played a lot of Matches plus had the burden of breaking that record on him. So now it is time to rest and get well :angel:

mallorn
06-16-2006, 05:11 PM
From The CNN:
Nadal forced to retire at Queen's
Friday, June 16, 2006 Posted: 1639 GMT (0039 HKT)

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7110/storynadal9fl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Nadal receives on-court attention before pulling out on Friday.

LONDON, England -- French Open champion Rafael Nadal suffered an injury scare ahead of Wimbledon as he was forced to retire from his Queen's Club quarterfinal against Australia's Lleyton Hewitt with a left shoulder problem.

Hewitt had just squared Friday's match at one set all when the 20-year-old Spanish top seed, who needed treatment earlier in the set, quit in a "lot of pain."

Hewitt will now play Britain's resurgent Tim Hemnan who had earlier beaten Russia's Dmitry Tursunov.

Henman, a perennial home hope at Wimbledon, has slipped down the rankings due a series of injuries and had lost at three of the last four gram slams to the unpredictable Tursunov.

Neither player showed their best form in a match that included six breaks of serve in each set, but Henman kept his nerve to win 6-3 7-6, taking the second set breaker for the loss of only one point.

Earlier, American James Blake advanced when Frenchman Gael Monfils retired with a back injury after losing the opening set 6-1 in just 21 minutes.

He will play the winner of the final quarterfinal between defending champion Andy Roddick and Fernando Gonzalez of Chile.

Fine form

Nadal, coming off his Roland Garros triumph where he beat Roger Federer, has shown fine form on the faster grass at Queen's and took the opening set against former Wimbledon champion Hewitt 6-3 on a single break.

Hewitt hit back with a double break before Nadal, despite being troubled by his shoulder, broke back and put his opponent under pressure before he wrapped up the set.

Nadal then gestured to the chair umpire that he was unable to carry on and left the court to sympathetic applause.

"I felt a lot of pain in the shoulder, starting in the final game of the first set," said a disappinted Nadal.

"To play more would have been stupid. I spoke with the physio and he said it could get worse if I had continued.

"The balls here are a lot of different than Roland Garros, much heavier. I couldn't continue with my shoulder like this - I feel pain."
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/06/16/tennis.queens/

mallorn
06-16-2006, 05:16 PM
From Reuters:
Hewitt benefits after Nadal injury blow

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:19pm ET
By Bill Barclay

LONDON (Reuters) - Rafael Nadal's Wimbledon preparations suffered a blow on Friday when he had to retire from his Stella Artois quarter-final against Australian Lleyton Hewitt with a shoulder injury.

The double French Open champion had taken the first set impressively 6-3 but needed treatment to his left shoulder in the second which he lost 6-3.

Nadal, the tournament's top seed, then told the chair umpire that he did not want to continue at the start of the third set and will now face a race to be fit for the grasscourt grand slam which begins on June 26.

"I felt a lot of pain here," Nadal told reporters afterwards, indicating the point of his left shoulder. "It's a shame because I was playing my best match (on grass) here today."

Asked if he thought he would be fit for Wimbledon, the world number two replied: "I don't know, I hope so."

The 20-year-old Mallorcan, who beat Roger Federer to win his second French Open in a row on Sunday, said he hoped to fly home later on Friday to consult his physio.

"He said it was his shoulder. I said, 'That's what happens when you play so many matches,'" said a sympathetic Hewitt, who faces Briton Tim Henman in the semi-finals.

Nadal's defeat ended his run of 26 consecutive wins since his defeat by Carlos Moya at the Miami Masters in March.

Henman broke his jinx against Dmitry Tursunov by beating the Russian 6-3 7-6.

He was knocked out of Wimbledon by Tursunov last year and also lost to him at this year's Australian Open and French Open, but on Friday the Briton had the better of a scrappy encounter on the Queen's Club grass.

MONFILS INJURY

In the second set the four-times Wimbledon semi-finalist was a set point down. Tursunov, though, double-faulted and Henman rattled through the tiebreak 7-1, sealing victory with a big forehand.

"He's beaten me on a couple of big occasions and he's an awkward guy to play against, so it's good to get through and continue my form," said 31-year-old Henman.

"I feel good about my game. After struggling on grass the last two years I do feel much more comfortable."

Like Nadal, French teenager Gael Monfils also quit his quarter-final against American James Blake due to injury.

The 19-year-old had lost the first set 6-1 to Blake when he retired with a back injury. A tournament spokesman said Monfils would not play in next week's Nottingham grasscourt event.

Blake will play the winner of the last quarter-final between defending champion Andy Roddick and Chilean Fernando Gonzalez.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-06-16T161945Z_01_BAR650923_RTRUKOC_0_US-TENNIS-STELLA-FRIDAY.xml&archived=False

mallorn
06-16-2006, 05:30 PM
From Sporting Life:
WIMBLEDON IN DOUBT FOR NADAL

By Mark Staniforth, PA Sport

Rafael Nadal's Wimbledon challenge hung in the balance after the world number two was forced to retire midway through his Stella Artois Championships quarter-final against Lleyton Hewitt.

Nadal cited a left shoulder injury for his decision to withdraw with the quarter-final finely poised at one set all, and said he would immediately fly home to Mallorca for treatment.

Nadal's decision brought to an end a tireless run of 26 consecutive victories, including three at Queen's having adapted so magnificently to grass following his success in Paris.

Nadal said: "I feel a lot of pain here [in my shoulder]. I began to feel it in the final games of the first set and it got more and more. It was stupid to continue because I could not serve.

"I will go home to Mallorca because I have my physio there. This has been a very good tournament for me because I have reached the quarter-finals but I do not know now."

Nadal's withdrawal, having won the first set 6-3 and dropped the next by the same score, robbed the packed Centre Court crowd of a potentially enthralling deciding set.

The Spaniard had performed heroically throughout this tournament having jetted in straight after his French Open triumph last Sunday to attempt to get to grips with the grass.

And more of the same looked in store in the first set when having saved a number of early break points on his own serve, Nadal went a break up in the fourth game and held on to take the lead.

But in a second set punctuated by a medical time-out for Nadal, Hewitt roared into a double-break advantage and although the Spaniard pulled one back his tournament was coming to a close.

Instead it was relieved Australian Hewitt who moved through to a last-four meeting with Tim Henman, and the chance to repeat his 2001 and 2002 final triumphs over the Briton.

Hewitt said: "I felt like I was getting better as the match went on today. I felt like I was the better player out there at the start but it wasn't really showing on the scoreboard.

"But that is tennis when you are playing against the big guys. To his credit he played some big points on those break points and I had to put my head down and work hard."

Former Wimbledon champion Hewitt said was relishing the chance to meet Henman again and seek revenge for his defeat by the Briton in Miami earlier this year.

Hewitt added: "Tim has been playing reasonably well the whole year and he is coming in a different situation this year. He is coming in under the radar a little bit and maybe that stands him in good stead."
http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/06/06/16/TENNIS_Queens_Nadal.html

KingGuga'sQueen
06-16-2006, 06:02 PM
I hope Rafa heals completely and quickly. However, as long as this is not a serious injury it may be the best thing to happen to Rafa. Because I agree that Rafa does need some time off. He has played a lot of Matches plus had the burden of breaking that record on him. So now it is time to rest and get well :angel:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/msrocks111/36_1_751.gif

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Please recover for Wimbledon.

Hope its a minor injury just caused by overplaying.

Forever..Vamos RAFA!

Ti-Anne
06-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah, our little man definetely needs rest :hug: ...I only hope it's not too serious, I'd hate it if he had to pull out of Wimby... :sad:

Andre forever
06-16-2006, 07:42 PM
no not wimby *sniff*

mallorn
06-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Rafa's interview is up. :crying2:
June 16, 2006
L. HEWITT/R. Nadal
3-6, 6-3 (ret.)

An interview with:
RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Rafa.

Q. Well us, tell us, what's the problem, Rafa?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I feel lot of pain here (indicating his shoulder). Just right here.

So the pain beginning in the final games of first set, and go more, go more. It is stupid, continuing to playing, because I can't serve tough. I speak with the physio, and if I continue, it can go worse, no?

So is normal. The balls here is lot of different than Roland Garros. Is too much heavy. So I can't continue, 'cause if I go with the arm like this (raising his arm), I feel pain.

Q. Must be very disappointing after you played such a good first set.

RAFAEL NADAL: I was playing my best match here today, no, maybe. I was playing very good with my forehand, especially with my backhand, and then serving good, normal, no?

I am a lot running the second set. Very aggressive. Maybe today I improve my game, no?

Q. But in total, you probably played a bit more on grass than you thought you might have done? Coming here from Roland Garros, you didn't expect to even last until Friday.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure.

Q. It's been a good experience.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I know is a very good experience, very good tournament for me. Is very difficult come here after Roland Garros, and won two matches and have little bit chance today in quarterfinals. So is a very good tournament for me.

But I don't know now, because I feel pain here and I want to go to see my doctor.

Q. How confident are you about being fit for Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: You never know, no? But I am playing better on grass, maybe, no? I am playing better than last year, sure.

Today I feel good level, so we gonna see in Wimbledon.

Q. From your fitness point of view, you're very confident you'll be ready?

RAFAEL NADAL: For Wimbledon?
Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know. I hope, no? I hope.

Q. Have you had this before?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, but not now. Not in the last months. Two years ago or so.
Q. Are you going home to Spain to your doctors?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I going today. I hope go today. I don't know if I have plane. But I travel today because tomorrow is Saturday and after in Sunday is difficult, no?

Q. Where will you go to Mallorca, Barcelona?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I go to Mallorca. I have my physio there, so I have (good relation?).

http://www.stellaartoistennis.com/news/transcripts/nadal616.pdf

maty
06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
i just heard Rafa injured his left shoulder and had to retire from his match against Hewitt,i do hope he recovers fast and clomplete

VAMOS RAFA :)

NaDALiTa
06-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Well i saw the game, and i'm very happy with the way Rafa played today, he did a lot of winner, and i'm sad because of this ****** injury that spoil all !! Maybe he played too well so that his shoulder couldn't support it :sad:

Get Well For The Demonstration That YOU Can Also Play On Grass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jogg
06-16-2006, 09:42 PM
:crying2: Rafa

Hope he's ok for Wimby, it'll be such a shame if he misses it. Hopefully a few days at home resting and he'll be ok, although he doesnt sound very confident :scared:

maty
06-16-2006, 10:54 PM
:crying2: Rafa

Hope he's ok for Wimby, it'll be such a shame if he misses it. Hopefully a few days at home resting and he'll be ok, although he doesnt sound very confident :scared:
i think his confidence has a lot to do with his last year injury,he's afraid that it might be as hard as the last one so he doesn't want to jinx it,anyway i think and hope it's not bad and that he'll be ok soon and ready for Wimbledon ;)

Denisse
06-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Rafa's interview is up. :crying2:

http://www.stellaartoistennis.com/news/transcripts/nadal616.pdf

thanks for this, you're the coolest

Mimi
06-17-2006, 01:59 AM
oh god, i want to see him in wimby, i have no coverage for FO but wimby, oh lets pray for our little man to have a speedy recovery :angel:

Mimi
06-17-2006, 02:27 AM
they said the bad empire warned him before the match not to take too much time on serving ? :mad: :mad: , its not fair, this for sure affect his emotions, now i am about to curse Ljbicic coz its him who raised up this long time on serving problems and lead to rafa being attached all the time :mad: :mad: :shout:

rue
06-17-2006, 02:36 PM
I really hope that it is nothing serious at all. He should be okay and then be fit enough to play Wimbledon. We will know in the next few days.

mallorn
06-17-2006, 02:58 PM
There's a short piece in today's El Pais, where Toni says Rafa should be OK in time for Wimbledon. However, so far there's no detailed report as to what kind of injury it is.

In Spanish:
http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2006/06/17/deportes/21980

NaDALiTa
06-17-2006, 04:03 PM
It's so funny to see how Rafa can be pessimistic and how Toni says the contrary :lol:

get well Rafito para Wimbly

flavia_am
06-17-2006, 04:16 PM
It's so funny to see how Rafa can be pessimistic and how Toni says the contrary :lol:

get well Rafito para Wimbly

¡¡¡¡¡Vamos Rafa!!!!!!!!!

Rafa I wish you get over soon.
Vamos chico!

Well, each time I see Toni in TV I get surprised because of his optimism :eek:
He always "think in green" piensa en verde is the slogan of Heinneken and Toni always is positive. That's a very good virtue. :yeah:
I don't know if I have undersand well what you mean Nadalita.

The Pro
06-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Anyone translate Toni's comments please??? :D

mallorn
06-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't speak Spanish but based on the Google translation Toni said something like this:

"Rafa's shoulder hurt when the racket made contact with the ball." After consulting the doctor he elaborated, "It doesn't seem to be anything serious and I believe in two or three days he will recover." Rafa will leave London and travel to Mallorca for tests and to check the extent of the injury. Rafa said, "I don't know if I'll play in Wimbledon, I hope I will." His uncle said, "Yes, he will."

KingGuga'sQueen
06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't speak Spanish but based on the Google translation Toni said something like this:

"Rafa's shoulder hurt when the racket made contact with the ball." After consulting the doctor he elaborated, "It doesn't seem to be anything serious and I believe in two or three days he will recover." Rafa will leave London and travel to Mallorca for tests and to check the extent of the injury. Rafa said, "I don't know if I'll play in Wimbledon, I hope I will." His uncle said, "Yes, he will."

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Jogg
06-17-2006, 11:02 PM

thanks Mallorn :hug: its good to hear Toni being so positive

Andre forever
06-17-2006, 11:10 PM
hoorahhhhhhhh

06-18-2006, 02:20 AM
I just hope it isn't a serious injury myself. I may be the only tennis fan in the world that doesn't care about Wimbledon. I want Rafa well for the hard courts. His hard court play has improved so much it is hard to believe :eek: Actually beating Roger not only on clay, but on a hard court :)

Andre forever
06-18-2006, 03:01 AM
tennis is not the same without RAFA

the_natural
06-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Its those F%$#ing heavy balls that the stupid English tourney organisers uses its that whole thing about "slowing down the game to make it more enjoyable" :rolleyes: Far out man this is what Henman has been complaining about for years now, the heavy balls hurt will cause problems like this and make it harder to serve volley. But WOHOOO look at what rafa did to Hewitt before the injury, and he even brok at 5-1 in the second

mallorn
06-18-2006, 09:13 AM
^^^ It's a combination of things, isn't it. Insane calendar, which basically forces the players who do well at RG to overload themselves, completely different surface, different balls. Look at Roger - he's the master on grass and even he's having problems coping with the transition in such a short time.

There's a new story on Rafa on as.com, you can read it (in Spanish) here:
http://www.as.com/articulo/deporte/Nadal/recupera/hombro/casa/dasmasB00/20060618dasdaimas_8/Tes/

As I said, I don't know Spanish, but based on the Google translation it says that Rafa is in Manacor, resting his shoulder and won't play tennis for a couple of days. His entourage doesn't doubt he'll be ready for Wimbledon unless there's a relapse. Today Rafa will film a Time Force commercial with Pau Gasol in Palma.

Manuel Santana praises Rafa's improvement on grass, saying his serve, volley and confidence are better. In Wimbledon, the mental attitude is the most important, and in this area Rafa is simply exceptional. He thinks Rafa is ready for Wimbledon.

Personally, I think the news is semi-encouraging because we still don't know what exactly is wrong with his shoulder.

Andre forever
06-18-2006, 11:38 AM
yah mallorn.. what is wrong with his shoulder? we want to know the problem from RAFA or uncle toni?

NaDALiTa
06-18-2006, 01:48 PM
¡¡¡¡¡Vamos Rafa!!!!!!!!!

Rafa I wish you get over soon.
Vamos chico!

Well, each time I see Toni in TV I get surprised because of his optimism :eek:
He always "think in green" piensa en verde is the slogan of Heinneken and Toni always is positive. That's a very good virtue. :yeah:
I don't know if I have undersand well what you mean Nadalita.

Si si Flavia !! you understood all that i said :) A coach must be positive because he is the only link between the player and his game .......if Rafa sees Toni very nervous or sad during the match...not sure he'll feel good, he needs him to reassure him .....what he is doing now with his shoulder :)

MariaV
06-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Sounds encouriging, no? Hopefully we'll get some further news soon but looks like it's not that serious injury. And he badly needed a break anyway. :hug:

Dorota
06-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Vamos Rafa!!!Everything will be fine ;) He is a very strong person,little break and his health will be perfect.However I think that he should take care a little bit of himself,sometimes it's better to miss one match and prepare properly to the next one.I cross one's fingers about him! :)

MariaV
06-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks to ADAM for the news. :kiss:

Nadal fit for Wimbledon campaign

World number two Rafael Nadal says he has overcome the shoulder injury which forced him out of the Stella Artois Championships and is fit for Wimbledon.

Nadal withdrew from his Queen's Club quarter-final against Lleyton Hewitt.

"I pulled out as a precaution after I started to feel some pain, but now I have overcome the problem," Nadal told Spanish newspaper AS.

"All I am thinking about now is playing at Wimbledon again. I have a week left to prepare myself well."

Nadal will play Finland's Jarkko Nieminen and Australian Mark Philippoussis in two exhibition singles matches at this week's Marsh Classic at the Hurlingham Club in London.

But the French Open champion does not believe he is ready yet to go on and add to his Grand Slam total at Wimbledon.

"I need to take it one game at a time. My only objective is to improve my play on a surface I find difficult, and I don't expect to go far," Nadal added.

"In the short term I am focusing on having a good tournament, working hard to prepare myself to be able to win there in the future.

"I don't think I will leave as champion this year but we will see what happens."

:lol: He has still got his sense of humour.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5090036.stm

mallorn
06-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks, Maria! :smooch:

lolyriality
06-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Si si Flavia !! you understood all that i said :) A coach must be positive because he is the only link between the player and his game .......if Rafa sees Toni very nervous or sad during the match...not sure he'll feel good, he needs him to reassure him .....what he is doing now with his shoulder :)

:wavey:
Hi, Nadalita

Did you see my post about Nadal's family in the Spanish Nadal board...and pics...;) ;)

Julia_Chelsea
06-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Well Rafa is really a king of clay but on grass, there're some trouble.
Anyway, good luck for Wimbledon, I hope he'll reach to the final match, face Roger again and then lose.

NaDALiTa
06-20-2006, 11:46 AM
:wavey:
Hi, Nadalita

Did you see my post about Nadal's family in the Spanish Nadal board...and pics...;) ;)

Holà thanx for telling me that :wavey: i'm gonna see it :kiss:

lolyriality
06-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Holà thanx for telling me that :wavey: i'm gonna see it :kiss:

Not at all!....:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

flavia_am
06-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks to ADAM for the news. :kiss:

:lol: He has still got his sense of humour.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5090036.stm

Miruna!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot!! :worship:
How much time without seeing you!!!! :wavey:

RogiFan88
06-20-2006, 07:40 PM
trolls are everywhere...

06-21-2006, 06:28 AM
How is Rafa's shoulder now? I hope he can be 100% healthy for Wimbledon. If he isn't 100% healthy if I were him I don't think I would play Wimbledon. It isn't his best surface so he will have to work very hard and if he's not healthy trying to play will only make him worse! A shoulder injury can be a very bad thing for a tennis player to have!!!

mallorn
06-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Mae, the shoulder seems to be ok - at least that's what he says. We may know more after his exhibition match with Philippoussis - if someone reports it.

the_natural
06-21-2006, 09:23 AM
I just hope it isn't a serious injury myself. I may be the only tennis fan in the world that doesn't care about Wimbledon. I want Rafa well for the hard courts. His hard court play has improved so much it is hard to believe :eek: Actually beating Roger not only on clay, but on a hard court :)

That may be because you realise that if he improves on Hard courts, maybe not 60 consecutive matches, but in the same vein as wat Hewitt had (or even stronger) He realistically can win 3/4 Grandslams, and practically every Major tournament on the planet. Whereas there are like 2 good tourneys, Queens and Wimbledon, for grass???

BTW I do want him to improve his hardcourt game which will improve with his grass court game ironically (cos he will learn to end points), But i just hope he doesnt practice too often on Hardcourts, its deadly, Monica Seles while on her comeback was put out for a few months before one of the USO's because of knee problems from training too much on Hard courts, and u know how much running rafa does, So I hope he spends the most time working on learning to use his forehand "Angles" better, making the backhand the weapon, coming into net, learning to flatten out shots, following his shots in, and most importantly "the serve"!!! Cos in the coming years Rafa will have alotta probs on Hard courts because of all the running he does.

the_natural
06-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Mae, the shoulder seems to be ok - at least that's what he says. We may know more after his exhibition match with Philippoussis - if someone reports it.

Hes versing the scud :sad: Im sorry guys Ur all gonna label me a traitor, But I want Scud to beat him, I dont want him to wipe him off the court cos that would be like a one off thing, I want him to win in a testing match. Mark is 29 hes not got long, hes the most talented player to have not won a Grandslam and its cos he doesnt have that winners mentality that Rafa has, he crumbles at the big moments, I just Want Mark to win and I want him to Win Wimbledon. Sorry Rafa ur my fave Player of the current gen, but I want mark to win this one and gain confidence to do really well at Wimbledon I want him to win a GS FOR ONCE!!!!

flavia_am
06-21-2006, 10:25 AM
trolls are everywhere...

What trolls are you refering to ? :scratch:
I don't understand you well... :confused:

RogiFan88
06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
What trolls are you refering to ? :scratch:
I don't understand you well... :confused:

someone who is posting negative posts in several players' forums

flip_fan
06-22-2006, 11:42 PM
posted on nadal's board:

In the run up to Wimbledon Rafa played an exhibition match today in the Marsh Classic at Hurlingham, he beat Jarrko Nieminen 7-5, 3-6,10-6 that last score being a championship tie break. Rafa plays Mark Philippoussis tomorrow.

Dorota
06-23-2006, 09:37 AM
It's good to know that,thanks flip_fan ;)
Rafa will beat Philippoussis for sure :)
Vamos Rafa Vamos!!! :bigclap:

Björki
06-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Gaston Gaudio ARG (16) v. Jean-Christophe Faurel FRA
Alexander Peya AUT v. Irakli Labadze GEO
Melle Van gemerden NED v. Joshua Goodall GBR
Mardy Fish USA v. Robby Ginepri USA (17)
Andre Agassi USA (25) v. Boris Pashanski SCG
Andreas Seppi ITA v. Jamie Baker GBR
Yen-Hsun Lu TPE v. Robert Kendrick USA
Alex Bogdanovic GBR v. Rafael Nadal ESP (2)

Björki
06-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Vamos Rafa :bounce:

sonia
06-23-2006, 01:38 PM
¡VAMOS RAFA! :bounce: You can do it! :bigclap:

merce
06-23-2006, 01:50 PM
I'll give him the edge over Andre Agassi.

rue
06-23-2006, 02:23 PM
I must say that if Nadal has completely overcome his injury and concentrates real good, he has got a good chance of making it to the 2nd week of Wimbledon.

vviva
06-23-2006, 02:26 PM
VAMOS RAFA!!!VAMOS RAFAVAMOS RAFA!!!

the_natural
06-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey guys did you know that Rafa withdrew from that match against Mark because of "a slight foot injury" I hope its not true, I hope he only did it because hes tired from that match against Jarko (I mean normally that type of match wouldnt be a huge deal but like if you count the huge clay court schedule then goin straight to queens, and considering he plays a style that takes up alotta energy), Id like to see him make the quarters this year just because itd be a huge confidence boost (and If it happens then I hope its the "Worst" result he ever has at wimbledon for the rest of his career ;) )

mallorn
06-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey guys did you know that Rafa withdrew from that match against Mark because of "a slight foot injury" I hope its not true, I hope he only did it because hes tired from that match against Jarko (I mean normally that type of match wouldnt be a huge deal but like if you count the huge clay court schedule then goin straight to queens, and considering he plays a style that takes up alotta energy), Id like to see him make the quarters this year just because itd be a huge confidence boost (and If it happens then I hope its the "Worst" result he ever has at wimbledon for the rest of his career ;) )
I posted the article which mentioned Rafa's withdrawal in the other thread. I don't think he was tired after one exhibition match. :shrug:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3685845&postcount=23

No further news about the injury, hopefully he'll have enough time to get completely healthy for Tuesday.