Nadal wins RG - beats Federer 1-6 6-1 6-4 7-6(4) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal wins RG - beats Federer 1-6 6-1 6-4 7-6(4)

Tian
06-11-2006, 04:19 PM
:yeah:

NicoFan
06-11-2006, 04:20 PM
YEAY FOR RAFA!!!

I'M SO HAPPY FOR HIM!!!!!!!

:woohoo:

Tennis Fool
Congrats Rafa :yeah:

Roger :(

R.Federer
Congratulations to rafal. I'm so devastated for Roger... but he had a great run, created a great chance for himself
Need a break from all this :sad:

The Pro
06-11-2006, 04:21 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

That'll shut them up! :devil:

Julio1974
A great tennis lesson by Rafa !!!!!!!!!!!! Well done !!!!!!

vincayou
Such an anticlimax. Roger's backhand went awol. None of them played well at the same time. Blah.

NicoFan
I have so much respect for this kid.

After playing such a bad first set, RAFA held it together and came back.

Beautiful clay court game....one of the best ever!

Hola Mr. SK
Rafa :yeah::worship:
don't be sad Roger, grass seaon's coming :)

Raquel
Congrats Rafael.

Roger :sad: What happened to the backhand? :sad:

~EMiLiTA~
06-11-2006, 04:22 PM
RAFAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAMPEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2:

Pink Panther
Good one Rafa! :cool:

Viken01
VAMOSSSSSSSS RAFAAAAAAAAA !!!! :bounce:

Spes
06-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Rogi played so badly today. He served terribly, didn't have any variety on his shots, and missed a few extremely easy forehands at the end of the match. You blew your chance, Rogi.

Congrats, Rafael.

connectolove
NADALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scarecrows
Federer's gotta work on his backhand or this kiddo's gonna beat him even on hard

Magical Trevor
06-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Amazing... say what you will about him, you've got to admire his courage... Rafael was destroyed in that first set, but came back unbelievably. Congrats to him... who knows how long this streak of his will go for (could he break Chrissie Evert's record?)

Credit to Federer as well... he seemed to be out of it after that early break, but he hung on, broke back, and forced a breaker.

Raul-Lopez
But in the next match in clay between Nadal and Federer this forum will say again that Federer will win :o

zine56
congrats Rafa... and i win 40 bucks yeah :D

Volley Art
Congrats to Rafael on the repeat title. Not the match we were hoping for, but that was an entertaining fourth set.

AgassiDomination
lol

George_Hanson
What a poor match, very bad from Federer, slightly better from Nadal.

El Legenda
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

That'll shut them up! :devil:

:lol: 7 GS for Roger 2 for Nadal. :lol: Fed can win 3 to 4 GS a year, while Nadal can win 1. :lol:

swissfed
To me, Nalban has more chances againt the Spanish kid....

Bilbo
06-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Expected win by Rafa. Congrats to him :yeah:

ezekiel
it was a pretty good match but could have been better if not for some silly mistakes especially Roger's backhand. Rafa proves that he is the champion after coming back after the first set

Lady Natalia
It feels like the world is ending. There is no more. Watch out MTF the Fed fans are coming out and are hysterical about this tragedy. Just damn damn damn.

Tennis Fool
congrats Rafa... and i win 40 bucks yeah :D
I won a dollar.

Neverstopfightin
The unidimensional guy keeps defeating the multi-dimensional one . :eek: :rolleyes:

It seems his unique :rolleyes: dimension is much bigger than several dimensions all together in another players or maybe he has more dimensions than some tards haven’t the enough class to admit.:retard:

For those who say Nadal is just a grinder and a defensive player , watch again the tape of the match in the third set or his match against Ljubo . For sure Roger will admit in the press conference that Nadal was better than him showing his class but some Fedtards will say he has lost because of his unforced errors, showing that they are just sore losers .:retard:

In the 14 Nadal’s matches in Paris , French crowd have been always rooting for his opponent showing no respect towards Nadal . If i were him in the postmatch speech i wouldn’thank them anything . Envy , just envy . Pathetic attitude. :o

Statistical datum : Roger had never lost a tie break in a GS final, he was 7-0 . Nadal has broken this streak.

Phunkadelicious
:lol: 7 GS for Roger 2 for Nadal. :lol: Fed can win 3 to 4 GS a year, while Nadal can win 1. :lol:
Did you grow three meters yet?

Ruski
That was a very disappointing performance by Roger Federer!!
He looked dejected throughout the match after winning the 1st set!!!
After such a big effort to level the 4th set and leading 6-5, he should put pressure on Rafa's game.... instead, he committed 4 unforced errors in a row!!!!
Even at the tiebreak, he didn't look confident and missing his shots!!!
What was running in his mind at the match!!!???

NicoFan
06-11-2006, 04:26 PM
It feels like the world is ending. There is no more. Watch out MTF the Fed fans are coming out and are hysterical about this tragedy. Just damn damn damn.

Why would the Fed fans be hysterical?

You root for one of the best players to ever play the game.

And in a very brief time, he'll hold the Wimbledon trophy over his head...and probably the US Open one too.

No shame in losing to Rafa...he's an awesome clay player...probably one of the best.

czech1rep
06-11-2006, 04:26 PM
:clap2: :bigclap:

federated
06-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Well, that was a shame, Roger. :hug:

But rafa, congrats! :hug:

Deivid23
06-11-2006, 04:27 PM
¡¡¡VAMOS!!!

Lady Natalia
06-11-2006, 04:28 PM
I SAY IT FIRST ROGER NEEDS A NEW COACH AGAINST RAFA - GUNTER PARCHE

Vivaciousvibes
WHYYYYYYYYYYYY did Nalbandian have to get hurt!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats RAFFA!!!! Yeah!! :worship:

Tennis Fool
That was a very disappointing performance by Roger Federer!!
He looked dejected throughout the match after winning the 1st set!!!
After such a big effort to level the 4th set and leading 6-5, he should put pressure on Rafa's game.... instead, he committed 4 unforced errors in a row!!!!
Even at the tiebreak, he didn't look confident and missing his shots!!!
What was running in his mind at the match!!!???
He shouldn't have given that point to Rafa at 40-0.

Just kidding. Sort of.

federated
06-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm just disappointed. I wanted Roger to win because it would have been so historic. But more than that, I wanted a real epic, the Rome final done one better This was a pretty dismal performance from Roger. I am thrilled for Rafa, though, to repeat; he's such a sweetheart.

sonia
06-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Molt bé Rafa!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: CONGRATS!!!!!! :bigclap: :woohoo:

Roger :hug:

the cat
06-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Congrats to Rafael Nadal on winning his second consecutive French Open. :D The better player won today. But Nadal didn't look like the better player after the first set today. ;) I think Roger Federer will be scratching his head after this loss in the final because he didn't win a set after dominating the first set and I'm sure that puzzles him as well as most of the viewers. :scratch:

And the only streak that really matters for Nadal is 2. He's won 2 French Opens in a row and that's more important than his current clay court match winning streak. :)

dEcu_RF
¡¡¡VAMOS!!!
No seas paleto ...

revolution
He just doesn't go away, that's what's so good about Nadal- he will continue to retrieve the unretrievable- Roger can't cope mentally with him- maybe given this mental block a grass match between the two would be closer than you think.

Phunkadelicious
He shouldn't have given that point to Rafa at 40-0.

Just kidding. Sort of.
Didn't they replay the point?

vincayou
06-11-2006, 04:31 PM
As Roger said, Nadal is a deserving champion. It would be a shame if he had only one RG to show after such a streak of victories.

But Roger, so many UEs... His backhand was just awful. Not a really good match for what was expected.

Volley Art
06-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Anybody who doesn't think the unforced errors weren't a major factor have some studying to do. Of course they were. At the same token, a lot of them came because the action was mostly dictated by Nadal.

And you can't be surprised the French are cheering against Nadal. He's Spanish.

Duchova
06-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Rafa, unbelievable, congrats!

Halba
06-11-2006, 04:32 PM
he's a good kid he fought hard, fed has no answers to his topspin, hence the UEs

Volley Art
06-11-2006, 04:33 PM
The always-classy French fans jeering Rafael during his speech.

admiralpye
06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Good match!

I like both players, and they were classy out there.

I think this win was even more dramatic for Rafa because of all the bad mouthing he got from the past few days.

scarecrows
And you can't be surprised the French are cheering against Nadal. He's Spanish.

I dont remember them cheering against Moya or Costa or Ferrero

Ruski

Wonder what did he say at the speech????

zine56

really??? :confused: why?? :(

Experimentee
06-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Congrats Rafa! Incredible clay season!

Sounds like Roger played badly and made way too many errors though :(

enqvistfan

It wasn't against Nadal, it's because the speaker didn't translate well what Nadal said apparently

fooclate
ARGH! what happened to the roger federer we know! sniff sniff.. ish okie.. wimbly is coming up.. :D hope nadals reighn stays on clay! smile rogi.. congrats nadal.. sigh.. bye bye MTF. meet u for wimbly.

Liverpool4ever
06-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Congratulations to Nadal on winning and showing everyone that he will be an all time great. Nadal destroyed Federer in this match and even with Federer's improvements on clay he was not even close.

Hopefully one day Federer can win the French.

mandoura
:bigcry: Roger :hug:

:hatoff: Rafa.

enqvistfan
Sad for Roger :( But Nadal is the master on clay, congrats !

Volley Art
06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Federer said the court speed was slower than in Rome so he couldn't attack as much. Admitted he didn't play well.

blosson
Rafa has done it again. No more one slam wonder and beat Roger four times in a row. Quite a feat.

adee-gee
Top class Rafa :worship:

I'm going to try and not be annoying for a minute. The first set proved one thing, when Federer plays his best no-one can live with him, not even Rafa on clay. But it's impossible for him to play like that, and Rafa just wore him down. Rafa also increased his level in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sets.

It wasn't the best match, neither played anything like their best. If Federer wants to be able to beat Rafa consistently on clay he's gonna have to improve his patience during rallies, towards the end he was just hitting and hoping.

Anyway, thoroughly deserved win for Rafa, he was much the better player over the course of the match, I couldn't be happier :dance: :yippee: :D

Argenbrit
06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
All the speculation must've jixed the match for Roger. :lol:

I knew Rafa was winning in 4. ;)

Congrats Rafa!

prima donna
06-11-2006, 04:43 PM
:hatoff:

Too good.

Björki
:woohoo: congrats to Rafa :woohoo:

MisterQ
Congrats Rafa on an amazing win! :worship:

I feel for Federer (respect, respect! :bowdown: ), but to make the final and lose to the best claycourter of his generation in 4 sets is a great accomplishment. And I believe this sets the stage for a tremendous rivalry. Roger will surely win matches as Rafa improves on fast surfaces and begins making finals. I doubt the head-to-head will remain so uneven. What a joy to watch this evolve.

Volley Art
Rafael didn't look impressed with Bud's Spanish.

Tennis Fool
06-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Didn't they replay the point?
Yes, and Federer lost the game.

Marine
SAD DAY FOR TENNIS, FOR ROLAND GARROS.

Not a great final, that's very frustrating because Roger missed his final. It was the match of his carrier, and he didn't play well, that's very disapointing.
French people aren't lucky with the winners of the FO... :rolleyes:

scarecrows
I have a feeling Federer cant beat Rafa on clay unless next year he makes a specific preparation and forgets about Indian Wells and Miami

scoobs
06-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Rafa - King of Clay

60 straight wins.

6-1 over Federer

2 straight seasons of Monte Carlo, Rome, and Roland Garros.

Too Good By Far.

Fed fans like me must face the facts right now - Federer is good on clay, but not quite good enough to get by Rafa.

And we should all offer Rafa congratulations - when he got it together he played a brilliant match and deserved to win today.

Respect to Rafa...sorry to Rogi...and roll on the grass :)

Salvy41

I'm going to try and not be annoying for a minute. The first set proved one thing, when Federer plays his best no-one can live with him, not even Rafa on clay. But it's impossible for him to play like that, and Rafa just wore him down. Rafa also increased his level in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sets.

It wasn't the best match, neither played anything like their best. If Federer wants to be able to beat Rafa consistently on clay he's gonna have to improve his patience during rallies, towards the end he was just hitting and hoping.

Anyway, thoroughly deserved win for Rafa, he was much the better player over the course of the match, I couldn't be happier :dance: :yippee: :D
That's the match in a nutshell. Although I do believe it is possible for Federer to maintain that level of performance he showed in the first set, it's just incredibly hard to do.

Carlita
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/thumbs/yu.gifWell done Rafaaaaaaaaaaaaa http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/thumbs/winner_first_h4h.gif

:hug:Roger

A_Skywalker
06-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Thatsssss amazing , Vamos Rafa , well done !!! I was stoned when Fed won 6-1 , the 2nd set before rafa broke I was nearly crying , and it was vey hard when he was serving for the win to loose his serve , but he kept his nerves , like every time and made me happy . Congratulations Rafael

Krikry
06-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Incredible Rafa :)
Well done :D

adee-gee
06-11-2006, 04:50 PM
:hatoff:

Too good.
Is that all you have to say? Aren't you feeling humiliated yet? :D

Chocobo
06-11-2006, 04:51 PM

They didn't. They applauded Rafa.

You don't speak spanish nor french, right? You would have understood why they were jeering...

I'm really sad for Roger :sad: He was nearly crying at the French TV post-match interview. It's not that the loss to Rafa is unacceptable, of course, but at least in Monte-Carlo and Rome there was a contest. Today he seemed somewhat resignated...and his backhand was abysmal :sad:

The turning point was when he lead 40/0 in the second set, then gave a point, and missed an easy volley just after.

Deivid23
06-11-2006, 04:51 PM

Not a great final, that's very frustrating because Roger missed his final. It was the match of his carrier, and he didn't play well, that's very disapointing.

:lol:

Want a tissue? :hug:

prima donna
06-11-2006, 04:52 PM
None of the players that've accomplished the feat of winning all 4 Grand Slams would have accomplished the feat if they'd been forced to play Nadal.

Including Laver.
Including Agassi.
Including whomever else.

Roger owns every other surface and is the best player in tennis, but not good enough to beat Nadal on clay, along with the rest of the tour, it's a fact that must be acknowledged and accepted.

It's rare that players of this magnitude come along and instead of crying over spilled milk, at times a person and not only a person, but entire fanbases must force themselves to accept the reality of it.

Coming into the match it was Roger that had the opportunity to make history and join the likes of all time greats like Laver, Borg and Sampras, but the reality of it is that after this victory Nadal has joined the likes of Borg, Vilas, Kuerten and other tremendous clay courters.

robert6061
Roger missed a golden opportunity today. He played sublime tennis to win the first set in ruthless fashion, proving once again that in terms of pure talent and shotmaking, he is the greatest player tennis has ever seen. The turning point was the fist game of the second set when there was a disputed line call when Roger lead 40-0. roger gave away the point and Rafa clawed his way back to deuce and then broke him. I had a gut feeling at the time that this could well be a turning point and it proved to be correct.

Roger's backhand was extremely erratic and in the fourth set the unforced errors coming from his raquet were unforgivable. Every time he had a half chance to pull ahead he made an error. He had a golden opportunity to regain the momentum when he broke Rafa back in the tenth game and then went up a mini break in the tie break. Once again errors sprayed off his backhand side. This loss will undoubtedly be enormously hard to take because history has shown that a player only has so many chances to win an elusive grand slam. His countrywoman Martina Hingis will tell hm that.

Still, hearty congratulations must go to Rafa. After being totally outplayed in the first set,he wasn't in the least discouraged and won the second set by the identical score. After getting the early break in the second set,he never looked back.

Everyone seems to have a strong alliegance to either Rafa or Roger. I'm an unashamed Fedfan. No matter where your loyalties lie, both of these guys are class acts. I was astounded when Rafa stated in his presentation speech that Roger was the greatest of all players. The crowd gasped when they heard this being translated.

The Federer Nadal rivalry is set to run and run for years. All I hope is that Roger eventually will win Roland Garros and hopefully the Grand Slam.
Congratulations Rafa!

anserq
Good for Nadal.. Nice try Roger :-) Was a "bad effort" from your part.

Volley Art
Fed fans like me must face the facts right now - Federer is good on clay, but not quite good enough to get by Rafa.

He can beat him- his results have shown that he can do it- but Nadal is going to triumph on clay more often than not. Federer will get his win on clay against Nadal at some point. But it's clearly Rafael's surface.

adee-gee
None of the players that've accomplished the feat of winning all 4 Grand Slams would have accomplished the feat if they'd been forced to play Nadal.

Including Laver.
Including Agassi.
Including whoever else.

Roger owns every other surface and is the best player in tennis, but not good enough to beat Nadal on clay, along with the rest of the tour, it's a fact that must be acknowledged and accepted.

It's rare that players of this magnitude come along and instead of crying over spilled milk, at times a person and not only a person, but entire fanbases must force themselves to accept the reality of it.

Coming into the match it was Roger that had the opportunity to make history and join the likes of all time greats like Laver, Borg and Sampras, but the reality of it is that after this victory Nadal has joined the likes of Borg, Vilas, Kuerten and other tremendous clay courters.
:eek: wow, you've changed your tune! I thought Nadal was a disgrace to tennis.

Have you been into a clinic or something?

LLeytonRules
06-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I cant say how dissapointed i am after that first set.I think we need to stop calling this a rivalry until Fed starts beating Nadal more then one time.His mind is fragile against Nadal.He doesnt convert in the biggest opportunities, he starts shanking backhands and forehands. :sad: I am convinced that indeed Rafa is in Roger's head.

DDrago2
Federer came out to destroy Nadal, he wanted to breeze through first two sets

When he lost the second game of the second set while holding 40/0, he knew he blew it. After that, he essentialy quit playing. Awfull serving, no tactics... He couldn't even go back to tire down Nadal because the sets were quick. Bad luck Roger.

A match was a bit of strange, because Federer clearly prooved that he is a better player in the first set, but after that prooved that he is to lazy for Nadal. He wanted it too easy. Essentialy he had Nadal on the ropes, and then became too casual. Old problem for Federer. This much cames down to him more than Nadal, and Federer will be bitterly dissapointed in himself after this match

Federer also prooved that he is still not good enough on RG center court, he would probably loose that match against Nalby if argentinian wasn't hurt. From the other side, Nadal also prooved again that he is not so strong player as believed and it comes down to mental part. The moment he gets defeated the thing will change alot. He rides the wave of his vicroties, but game-wise he is not nearly as special as result-wise.

Beacuse of that, his victory has somewhat bad taste to me

Chloe le Bopper
Is that all you have to say? Aren't you feeling humiliated yet? :D
Hey now, be good :p

Deivid23
06-11-2006, 04:54 PM

Disagree. Nadal was terribly nervous at the beginning and was playing baseball, Roger didn´t make such a good tennis as other days in that set, even own Rafa has said this in Spanish TV

Flibbertigibbet
Congratulations to Rafael, second French Open thoroughly deserved. Good job to Roger for reaching the final - might not have played your best in the final (I don't think either of them did), but at least it still leaves you with some goals and improvements. You're the definite #2 on clay, and many other great players in the present and in the past cannot say that. Good luck to both players in grass and hard courts! :D

Unfortunately, I didn't see most of the match, though. I woke up at 7:30 this morning, half an hour before the coverage was due to start, and at 7:35, our power went and did not return till 10:20 or so. I had to call my brother and have him relay the score to us, which was thoroughly irritating. If it happens again in a Grand Slam final, my anger will know no bounds.

(I hope that was sufficiently intimidating.)

adee-gee
By the way, did anyone else take considerable pleasure out of Federer looking completely and utterly helpless out there?

I thought it was mildly humorous :p

mandoura
Rafa - King of Clay

60 straight wins.

6-1 over Federer

2 straight seasons of Monte Carlo, Rome, and Roland Garros.

Too Good By Far.

And we should all offer Rafa congratulations - when he got it together he played a brilliant match and deserved to win today.

Respect to Rafa...sorry to Rogi...and roll on the grass :)

I'm with you Scoob. :)

DDrago2
Federer came out to destroy Nadal, he wanted to breeze through first two sets

When he lost the second game of the second set while holding 40/0, he knew he blew it. After that, he essentialy quit playing. Awfull serving, no tactics... He couldn't even go back to tiring down Nadal because the sets were quick. Bad luck Roger

A match was a bit of strange, because Federer clearly prooved that he is a better player in the first set, but after that prooved that he is to lazy for Nadal. He wanted it too easy. Essentialy he had Nadal on the ropes, and then became too casual. Old problem for Federer. This much cames down to him more than Nadal, and Federer will be bitterly dissapointed in himself after this match

Federer also prooved that he is still not good enough on RG center court, he would probably loose that match against Nalby if argentinian wasn't hurt. From the other side, Nadal also prooved again that he is not so strong player as believed and it comes down to mental part. The moment he gets defeated the thing will change alot. He rides the wave of his vicroties, but game-wise he is not nearly as special as result-wise.

P.S. At least I won some vcash, I put some on Nadal a week ago

Ruski
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I have a feeling Federer cant beat Rafa on clay unless next year he makes a specific preparation and forgets about Indian Wells and Miami

I have a feeling that Federer cannot win the French Open title unless someone take Rafa out of the tournament earlier!!!! :o

Is it a jinx at the Swiss no.1 tennis players? First, Martina Hingis!!! Now, it seems like Roger will follow the same path!!!! :sad:

adee-gee
Disagree. Nadal was terribly nervous at the beginning and was playing baseball, Roger didn´t make such a good tennis as other days in that set, even own Rafa has said this in Spanish TV
I agree Rafa was horrible in the first set, but it was smart tennis by Federer. He was pounding his backhand and Rafa was making lots of errors. But even I'll give credit to the way Federer played, it was pretty damn impressive with or without Rafa playing well.

Chloe le Bopper
but game-wise he is not nearly as special as result-wise.

Oh. Okay.

Um, I wasn't going to do this, but seriously. Choke on another lemon and come back when you're feeling better. Please?

Chloe le Bopper
06-11-2006, 04:57 PM
I have a feeling that Federer cannot win the French Open title unless someone take Rafa out of the tournament earlier!!!! :o

Is it a jinx at the Swiss no.1 tennis players? First, Martina Hingis!!! Now, it seems like Roger will follow the same path!!!! :sad:
It's just a pity for Roger that he became a contendor at RG the same time that Nadal did :shrug:

Hingis' problem was something else ;)

kapranos
06-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Including Laver.
Including Agassi.
Including whomever else.

Where is the bullshit smiley?

nhissan
06-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Nadal will burn out soon with his ugly game damn it

Langers
06-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Little bit disappointed with the match, it was good but not great. There were no massive games, no real struggles to hold, ie multiple deuces, and there were only a few brilliant rallies. The match was marred by unforced errors. I had massive expectations of this game, and it was a little bit of a let down.

scoobs
06-11-2006, 05:02 PM
He can beat him- his results have shown that he can do it- but Nadal is going to triumph on clay more often than not. Federer will get his win on clay against Nadal at some point. But it's clearly Rafael's surface.
I think Federer fans will get a lot more respect if they stop saying that until Roger's actually proven he can do it. Having faith he can is one thing but given he's now 0-4 to Rafa on clay and didn't even come close today to getting the win, it starts to sound a little hollow if endlessly repeated.

I'm at the point now where I'll believe Roger can beat Rafa on clay when I see it. It seems further away than ever now after this match.

tangerine_dream
06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Rafael was brilliant. He didn't fold after that first set beat-down. He didn't fold after choking away the last set and had to go to TB. Rafa is inhuman. Congrats to him on a well-deserved win and defending his title. :bigclap:

I am very disappointed in Roger. He didn't play his game, and he didn't look like he had learned anything from Rome. Aside from a brief fighting spirit in the fourth set, he never acted like he was in control or knew what to do or had any energy at all. He was a beaten man from the second set on. I'm reminded of Roddick's words, "I'm going to have to start winning some of these matches before we can call it a rivalry." Well, Roger has once again failed to back up his words--when he says that the more he plays Rafa, the closer he gets to beating him. He had mp at Rome but at RG he wasn't anywhere near mp! :( This makes me angry because I believed Roger when he said these things. I feel like I've been duped.

So the cycle will start again in Wimbledon, and then USO, and then the AO. No Roger slam this year but there is always a next time for him. At least he made the finals. :hug:

Jade Fox
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Oh Roger :hug: I feel that he can win the French, but today Rafa was better when he have to be.

And Rafa looked so cute when he won :hug: . His English has gotten better too.

LLeytonRules
I thought Roger dictated the match but like he always does, he doesnt believe in himself.I think Nadal will always be a problem for Roger.

shotgun
A few moments of brilliance from both sides, but overall a disappointing match. So much ado for nothing. Even last year's final (Nadal-Puerta) was more excitng and had a better technical level.

All in all, congrats to Nadal for matching his favouritism on court.

prima donna
06-11-2006, 05:07 PM
:eek: wow, you've changed your tune! I thought Nadal was a disgrace to tennis.

Have you been into a clinic or something?

There happen to be many differences between you and I, do I like Nadal's game ? No. Do I support Nadal ? No. Will I ever ? No. Do these things change the fact that he's the best clay courter ? No.

Once again, no, no and more no.

Everyone knows in their heart of hearts that Roger is the best player, it's a pity that the majority of people whom support Nadal actually aren't supporting his play, but supporting anyone that can maybe beat Roger. How about that small time French Junior that was in your avatar not too long ago ? Or PHM ?

So, ultimately, fact of the matter is that I remain an advocate supporter of Roger and my opinions with regard to Nadal stand. You're not making me eat my words, because nothing I've ever said has been based on the sole and single fact that Roger never loses.

People on this board have to come to terms with the fact that it takes a lot more to make an asshole such as myself eat my words, it just can't be done.

Anyway, beautiful sight ( Nadal's father crying after the match ) great stuff from Nadal today, hopefully we'll be seeing him again next year at Roland Garros for another shot at the crown.

Tennis Fool
06-11-2006, 05:09 PM
I think Roger Federer will be scratching his head after this loss in the final because he didn't win a set after dominating the first set and I'm sure that puzzles him as well as most of the viewers. :scratch:

That had more to do with Rafa's nerves.

MariaV
06-11-2006, 05:11 PM
There happen to be many differences between you and I, do I like Nadal's game ? No. Do I support Nadal ? No. Will I ever ? No. Does these things change the fact that he's the best clay courter ? No.

Once again, no, no and more no.

Everyone knows in their heart of hearts that Roger is the best player, it's a pity that the majority of people whom support Nadal actually aren't supporting his play, but supporting anyone that can maybe beat Roger. How about that small time French Junior that was in your avatar not too long ago ? Or PHM ?

So, ultimately, fact of the matter is that I remain an advocate supporter of Roger and my opinions with regard to Nadal stand. You're not making me eat my words, because nothing I've ever said has been based on the sole and single fact that Roger never loses.

People on this board have to come to terms with the fact that it takes a lot more to make an asshole such as myself eat my words, it just can't be done.

Anyway, beautiful sight ( Nadal's father crying after the match ) great stuff from Nadal today, hopefully we'll be seeing him again next year at Roland Garros for another shot at the crown.
Awwww PD, good to see you doing OK after the loss. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Fed definitely CAN do it. So we'll see what happens next year. :)

propi
06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Congrats Rafa and congrats Roger, Fed can be proud to have lost the final vs Rafa, he's special...
No doubt Roger has the tennis to beat Rafa, but seems that his former bad brain (after juniors, before becoming the player he currently is) is chasing him and can keep the level for a whole match vs Rafa. Also Rafa always tries to hit one more shot, and more shots mean more chances for your opponent to sent it to the net or outside the court.
Finally Roger has great touch, but so does Rafa... IMO they're very talented both physically and with talent, the only thing that changes is the proportion, Roger is 50 -50 and Rafa 60-40...
So congrats Rafa, have a nice grass and hard season and Rogi, good luck you will win RG one day... even Rafa said today in an interview that if he wasn't playing the final he would be supporting Roger 100%

Volley Art
06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
I think Federer fans will get a lot more respect if they stop saying that until Roger's actually proven he can do it. Having faith he can is one thing but given he's now 0-4 to Rafa on clay and didn't even come close today to getting the win, it starts to sound a little hollow if endlessly repeated.

I'm at the point now where I'll believe Roger can beat Rafa on clay when I see it. It seems further away than ever now after this match.

I say that less as a fan and more as an observer and chronicler. I will note I put my money on Nadal today.

Federer is simply too good to not win at least one match on clay. Conversely, I would expect Nadal to beat Federer on grass if they played enough. They're the two best players in the world, and the best win under conditions that are not ideal.

Looking at the Agassi-Sampras rivalry, you see several three and four-match winning streaks by both guys. I think this is something you'll see throughout the Federer-Nadal saga.

On the other hand, Agassi never beat Sampras on grass, and Sampras never beat Agassi on clay. So I could be just full of crap.

Tom_Bombadil
06-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Rafael was brilliant. He didn't fold after that first set beat-down. He didn't fold after choking away the last set and had to go to TB. Rafa is inhuman. Congrats to him on a well-deserved win and defending his title. :bigclap:

I am very disappointed in Roger. He didn't play his game, and he didn't look like he had learned anything from Rome. Aside from a brief fighting spirit in the fourth set, he never acted like he was in control or knew what to do or had any energy at all. He was a beaten man from the second set on. I'm reminded of Roddick's words, "I'm going to have to start winning some of these matches before we can call it a rivalry." Well, Roger has once again failed to back up his words--when he says that the more he plays Rafa, the closer he gets to beating him. He had mp at Rome but at RG he wasn't anywhere near mp! :( This makes me angry because I believed Roger when he said these things. I feel like I've been duped.

So the cycle will start again in Wimbledon, and then USO, and then the AO. No Roger slam this year but there is always a next time for him. At least he made the finals. :hug:

Interesting change, considering you were saying Federer had the keys to beat Rafa. So time demonstrated I was right. But as always people will stay the same. Nadal plays ugly and Federer is going to win against him the next time. He still has the keys, it's only that he has them hidden and is waiting for the right moment to show them.

So time proved how biased you all are, taking into consideration each time these two guys play you always give advantage to Roger in the polls.

By the way, I can't understand why Roger wining 6-1 on the first was due to his brilliant tennis, and losing 6-1 was due to his incredible bad tennis. Maybe there is some other point, maybe Nadal was also playing badly on the first, making a lot of silly errors, and maybe Nadal was also playing good on the second.

Alvarillo
Rafael :worship:
What a comeback, he has the strongest head on tour, just amazing!
Roger, good effort, you proved than one year you'll be the champion! Keep improving on clay!

French Crowd, just pathetic again, but i only can say .... enjoy the Spanish anthem :lol:

mamasue
The.best.day.ever!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

VAMOS RAFA!!!

nsidhan
I was supporting Federer but congratulations to Nadal for playing a fantastic match. He looked like he wanted to win it more than Federer. I thought it would be the other way around. Anyways, I commend Nadal's modesty during his victory speech.

That rally during the fourth set 5-4, 30-30 was friggin' awesome! :worship:

almouchie
VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOS RAFA

WHAT A GREAT MATCH, A GREAT CHAMPIONS
A TRUE LEGEND, HE HAS SHOWN HIS BATTLING SKILLS
Good match by federer

but at the middle after coming from 6/1 down
Nadal showed why he is the best player on clay
no doubt

landoud
06-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I sure wanted Roger to win... but it didn't go his way
sure Rafa deserves congrats on his second GS

knight_ley

:crazy:

:aparty:

lucindia
I had no fav for this match...I just wanted to see a great match...But still maybe I wanted a little bit more Roger to win the four major in a row!!!
Anyway, i just can congradulate Rafa...He's just amazing, fights on every point, he deserves this victory....true respect MR NADAL :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff:

Neverstopfightin
06-11-2006, 05:16 PM
For those persons who are taking the first set as a reference to say Roger showed how superior is over Nadal when he is playing well .

I think that even the most fanatic Fedtard would be able to see Nadal was playing like crap in the first set hitting strange u.e , and as he confesed in TV after the match he was incredibly nervous in the first set because of the pressure and only after he broke Roger in the second set is when he was able to focus and manage those emotions.

In the second set things changed completely and now who was hitting nonsense u.e was Roger .

So neither the first nor the second set can be taken as reference to make no analysis.

But the third and fourth set i think the u.e aren't an excuse , it's true Roger was hitting those errors, but apart from those errors Nadal was being superior in several aspects of the game , above all in the third set .

Nadal won thanks for he was superior , thanks for own merits not because Roger's presents although the u.e are always welcome .

gillian
06-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Excellent comeback by Rafa. I kinda thought this match couldn't live up to the hype. The Rome final would be difficult to top.

Don't know what happened to Federer after the 1st set, but he should at least be pleased to reach the FO final for the first time.

katiec
06-11-2006, 05:17 PM
What did Roger and Rafa say in the speeches? BBC didn't show :sad:

prima donna
06-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Also, thanks to Nadal for hanging around and challenging Roger. If one of these days Roger is actually able to defeat Nadal, it'll make his legacy all the more sweet. Everyone always complains of the lack of depth on tour, give me any guy, from any era and put him on a clay court with Nadal, wonder what the result would be.

Nadal may not be the most skilled player on tour or any of that other crap, he's not easy on the eye and blah blah, the difference between this guy and any other players of the past is his mental strength and ability to shift gears. With the exception of Muster, he'd give any so called "clay court greats" a beating.

Roger got his ass kicked out there, bottom line. I just hope he has the energy to win Wimbledon.

nhissan
06-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Well now Rafa will dissapear for the rest of the season

Langers
06-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Yep. Will be bother to play Wimbledon? Might as well skip it because he'll only lose to Schrichapan again. :devil:

AgassiDomination
06-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Also, thanks to Nadal for hanging around and challenging Roger. If one of these days Roger is actually able to defeat Nadal, it'll make his legacy all the more sweet. Everyone always complains of the lack of depth on tour, give me any guy, from any era and put him on a clay court with Nadal, wonder what the result would be.

Nadal may not be the most skilled player on tour or any of that other crap, he's not easy on the eye and blah blah, the difference between this guy and any other players of the past is his mental strength and ability to shift gears. With the exception of Muster, he'd give any so called "clay court greats" a beating.

Roger got his ass kicked out there, bottom line. I just hope he has the energy to win Wimbledon.
I think Guga at his best could have given Nadal a tough time.

DDrago2
06-11-2006, 05:22 PM

It's seems I am one of the rare ones who are not impressed with Fed-Rafa rivalry anymore. After todays macth, Federer showed that he is a better player, and Nadal that he is more fanatic about winning. And it comes to that, game-wise there is no rivalry. It's actually a bit painfull to watch both for Federer and Nadal fans. In first set you see how much better player Federer is, and then you see how more a fanatic Nadal is.

A real rivalry is what we saw in Federer-Safin AO finals, say, where players are comparable in quality. With Nadal and Federer it is a bit sick, they both know Federer is better, but Nadal winning buy sheer want to win

I'm definitely off this Federer-Nadal stuff, this finals did it for me - there is no point anymore, Federer has everything game-wise to beat Nadal and still he doesn't do it. I think after this Federer will also forget about Nadal and concetrate to the stuff and players other then Nadal

magnoliaewan
06-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Ah well Roger, maybe next year. Congrats to Nadal though.

If Federer wants to beat Nadal on clay, he needs to decrease those unforced errors. Against other players, it doesn't matter, but against Nadal, it does and it did.

J. Corwin
06-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I shouldn't have gotten up at 6 to watch this dud of a match live, especially the first couple sets. :o

Still, congrats to Rafa :woohoo: and this sets the stage for plenty more big matches between them. :yeah: Hopefully they'll be more exciting! ;)

The Daviator
06-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Rafa :worship: Amazing mental strength, he is certainly #1 in that department, many congrats :)

Comiserations Fed, still your best ever showing at RG :yeah:

shrudy
Looking at the Agassi-Sampras rivalry, you see several three and four-match winning streaks by both guys. I think this is something you'll see throughout the Federer-Nadal saga.

On the other hand, Agassi never beat Sampras on grass, and Sampras never beat Agassi on clay. So I could be just full of crap.

Sampras has beat Agassi on clay.

Tom_Bombadil
It's seems I am one of the rare ones who are not impressed with Fed-Rafa rivalry anymore. After todays macth, Federer showed that he is a better player, and Nadal that he is more fanatic about winning. And it comes to that, game-wise there is no rivalry. It's actually a bit painfull to watch both for Federer and Nadal fans. In first set you see how much better player Federer is, and then you see how more a fanatic Nadal is.

A real rivalry is what we saw in Federer-Safin AO finals, say, where players are comparable in quality. With Nadal and Federer it is a bit sick, they both know Federer is better, but Nadal winning buy sheer want to win

I'm definitely off this Federer-Nadal stuff, this finals did it for me - there is no point anymore, Federer has everything game-wise to beat Nadal and still he doesn't do it. I think after this Federer will also forget about Nadal and concetrate to the stuff and players other then Nadal

:haha: :haha:

Volley Art
06-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Sampras has beat Agassi on clay.

Oh, you're right. Twice, even. That's a bad oversight on my part.

akosijepoy
06-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Awesome turn-around! Go Rafa!!! I was one of the few people rooting for you! Hope you do well the rest of the year! ^-^

blosson
06-11-2006, 05:30 PM

I wouldn't count on that yet, he won an indoor masters last year and he also won the Canadian masters. I'm sure he will try to defend those titles.

Castafiore
06-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Rafa....:woohoo: :worship:
Roger... :) ...oh well, you can start a new series to go for a Roger Slam now.

To those who think that the French crowd whistled at Rafa. Not at all, I thought that the crowd was very fair today, applauding both players.

Rafa was praising Roger in Spanish but the stupid translator on court didn't translate that praise...WTF??? :confused: ...so the crowd booed at the translator.

supersexynadal
06-11-2006, 05:32 PM

Right...
Your one type of person whs finding excuses forfeders loss. Federer safin was NOT a rivalry! It was just a great match. Federer plaed better today but at the end of the day he lost in 4 sets because Nadal is mentaly tougher and federer started breaking downa nd he only ha shimself to blame for that.Conditions should have favored him today. the crowd was mostly with him and Nadal wasnt even at his best. Not the match i as looking for. Rome finals were much better at i wouldnt say there was a winner OR A LOSER in Rome. Match of the year id say

mallorn
06-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Rafa :bowdown:
Roger :hug:

It's incredible how mentally strong Rafa is. The fact that he was so nervous in the first set and when serving for the match and was able to control himself makes it even more amazing. :worship: He started playing exactly how I didn't want him to play, but then got more and more aggressive and took control of the match.

What happened to Roger - I don't know. It was RG 2005, Dubai and MC all over again. :confused: I'm inclined to think he wasn't mentally ready for the Grand Slam. He certainly has the game to beat Rafa.

The French crowd were bad but not as bad as I had feared. Knowing what they're capable of, I wouldn't have put it past them to boo Rafa off the court. :rolleyes: Still, cheering Roger's name between Rafa's serves was a bit too much.

Prima donna, are you ok? Seriously? :scratch: :hug:

supersexynadal
06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't count on that yet, he won an indoor masters last year and he also won the Canadian masters. I'm sure he will try to defend those titles.

nd beat an agassi in god form in the finals. We know hes not good on grass but dont keep saying that for too long. If there will be one spaniard to have a good record on grass it will be RAFA for sure. Federer is undoubtably the best and not matter how many times nadal beats him this year, Rafa wont be able to go anywhere near his form on grass, and his completness. maybe in a few years when roger stops diminating.

Clara Bow
06-11-2006, 05:41 PM

:worship:; PD- I know you can't stand Nadal. And this was big of you. :) I was not going to comment after the match- frankly I was going to take a vacation from here....but I loved your post and here I am again.

DDrago2
06-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Come on, supersexynadal... I wouldn't say this from dissapointment. I'm simply not impressed anymore with Federer-Nadal rivalry. They are playing ugly matches, totaly unbalanced. Nadal wanting every point, Federer doing all the game - where on the end it is decided with Federer being too casual, not being able to endure mentaly. It's a pattern.
If Federer manages to blow Nadal of court in strait sets only once (it could have happened today) you will understand that there are more interesting rivalries than Federer-Nadal

Neumann
06-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Congratulations to Rafa. Two majors already. It has been a fantastic win, keeping all his records alive at least for one more week: 60 matches on clay, 14 straight finals won, 89% of finals won.

I feel for Federer, the classy player on and off court. He still has all the cards to become the authentic GOAT, but he'll have to wait a bit more.

Finally, I'm really happy for all the gracious comments from (almost, almost) all Fed fans, and the reasonably gracious ones from Nadal fans. For once, it's been enjoyable to read a Nadal Vs Fed thread. :worship:

To make the rivalry really awesome it only rests that Fed wins some, and Nadal interchanges randomly the #1 spot with Roger. :p That would be cool! :D

Neely
06-11-2006, 05:46 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: Congrats Rafa, what a big champion he is and how strong mentally he was in this match despite failing to serve it out, but ending it finally in this fourth-set tiebreaker and not going on to lose the set and probably the match, how many players would have most likely fared against Federer in this situation.

What a big Sunday for Spain :yeah: twice the national anthem, first Alonso and then Nadal :banana: :woohoo: Only a won match in World Cup today evening would be missing to make it complete :lol: ;)

Of course a good tournament for Federer, too! He improved a lot on clay and beat everybody else than Nadal easily on clay.

It wasn't against Nadal, it's because the speaker didn't translate well what Nadal said apparently
True, there was a really crappy translation and there was a huge part missing in the translation.

Lala186
06-11-2006, 05:46 PM
ROGER PLAYED BAD TODAY
BUT IT IS A FACT THAT HE HAS IMPROVED A LOT ON CLAY, CONGRATS FOR HIM

Julio1974
06-11-2006, 05:47 PM

I wonder why you generalize about "French people". Do all French people dislike Nadal as much as you do?

BlueSwan
06-11-2006, 05:48 PM
The key moment in the match was when Fed had triple break-point at 2-1 in the third set. At this point of the match Fed wasn't disillusioned yet, they had just played two pretty poor onedimensional sets - the match was still just beginning. After losing that game Fed DID become disillusioned and it was so predictable that he lost his serve right thereafter. After that he really played way below his standard for more or less the rest of the match, while Nadal played well, except when he had to serve for the match.

Had Fed won the tiebreaker, then it wouldn't have reflected the play - Nadal was definitely on top - but it would have been wide open again.

Anyway, I was disappointed in Federers seeming lack of belief that he could beat Nadal - he just didn't have that aura around him that he has when playing just about anyone else. I'm disappointed in his backhand - he could barely put a service return in when Nadal was serving wide to Feds backhand. I was disappointed that Fed didn't try anything - his play seemed oddly preditable. I was disappointed that the Grand Slam will probably never happen now.

However, Nadal deserves the title. He is undoubtedly the king of clay. I don't think any of the previos holders of that title could take him out. I can certainly understand why it is so frustrating to play that kid. Not only does he get everything back, his returns almost always has quality, making it extremely hard to dictate the play.

blosson
06-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Has anyone seen Mirka in the stands today?

eduarmak
06-11-2006, 05:51 PM
NADAL CLEARLY DESERVED TO WIN TODAY'S GAME. I AM A HUGE ROGER'S FAN, BUT HIS PASSIVE ATTITUDE WHEN PLAYING AGAINST NADAL WILL NOT WIN HIM ANY GAMES AT LEAST IN CLAY. ROGER HAS COME ALONG WAY ON CLAY, HE HAS IMPROVED SO MUCH HE IS MUCH MORE CONFIDENT AGAINST ANYBODY ELSE BUT NADAL THE STORY IS DIFFERENT. LETS HOPE ROGER WILL MEET NADAL IN GRASS AND FAST COURTS THAT WAY HE COULD EVEN OUT HIS RECORD AND GET BACK SOME OF HIS LONG LOST CONFIDENCE AGAINST NADAL.
GOOD JOB RAFA, YOU ARE A GREAT ONE AS ROGER BUT YOUR DAYS ARE COUNTED GRASS SEASON IS AROUND THE BLOCK.....

Phunkadelicious
06-11-2006, 05:51 PM
NADAL CLEARLY DESERVED TO WIN TODAY'S GAME. I AM A HUGE ROGER'S FAN, BUT HIS PASSIVE ATTITUDE WHEN PLAYING AGAINST NADAL WILL NOT WIN HIM ANY GAMES AT LEAST IN CLAY. ROGER HAS COME ALONG WAY ON CLAY, HE HAS IMPROVED SO MUCH HE IS MUCH MORE CONFIDENT AGAINST ANYBODY ELSE BUT NADAL THE STORY IS DIFFERENT. LETS HOPE ROGER WILL MEET NADAL IN GRASS AND FAST COURTS THAT WAY HE COULD EVEN OUT HIS RECORD AND GET BACK SOME OF HIS LONG LOST CONFIDENCE AGAINST NADAL.
GOOD JOB RAFA, YOU ARE A GREAT ONE AS ROGER BUT YOUR DAYS ARE COUNTED GRASS SEASON IS AROUND THE BLOCK.....
If you hit the Caps Lock key again, they will turn back into little letters :hug:

scoobs
06-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Has anyone seen Mirka in the stands today?
Nope. Where WAS she?

Allez
06-11-2006, 05:53 PM
All I want to say is congratulations Rafael Nadal. He's been the best man on clay these last 14 months and he thoroughly deserved this victory today. I'm sad to see Roger lose like this, but perhaps the French Open was not meant to be for him. He would not be the first nor the last great champion not to master the red clay of Roland Garros.

Corey Feldman
06-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Congrats Rafa, he is just too intense and concentrated for Federer (+ every other player as well obviously).. simple as that, its why Fed cant even beat him on HC.
however it would be nice if they could play on grass 4 times on the bounce!! :rolleyes:

for Fed, he cant be devastated as some are saying he will be, he's in an awesome spell in his career , 7 slams, still 24 and was only 1 match away from the Grand slam.. i just hope the loss wont affect Fed's mind for Wimbledon because not to win wimbledon would be 10 times more crushing to him i feel.

honey_b_fly_15
06-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Congrats Nadal :yippee: So glad you won!!!

Unlucky Roger :hug: I'll see you in 4 weeks time (on TV :( ) holding up that Wimbledon trophy :bounce:

FedererGrandSlam
06-11-2006, 06:02 PM
:(

User id 7816
06-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Congrats Rafa, you is f'ing increíble. :bowdown:
I expected more from Roger....I could understand why he was like scared in the semifinal last year, but after Rome I thought he'd gotten rid of that...ummm. :shrug:
And that point when Rafa was serving for the match when Roger became Rafa and Rafa became Roger!...?.....!....:eek: :eek: :eek: :worship:.....I think everyone except for Rafa's supporters wanted a 5th set after that point!
Once again, who is the king of clay.

Corey Feldman
06-11-2006, 06:12 PM
i have heard alot about Fed's play, bad BH, being nervous etc from ppl (and commentators) v Nadal today...
but id like to see any of them play for 3 hours on clay against someone that fast, ultra competative and makes about 3 UE's a set :lol:

the only thing im concerned about Federer is he seems to shank more and more shots thesedays, Mac once said its because he is trying to be too aggresive on balls he should'nt be, but then you see him shank a mid court FH into row Z.

but overall im proud of the champ, today's dissapointment will only make another day even more sweeter. :yeah:

robinhood
06-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Fed froze like an ice cream from set 2-4 and melted in the tiebreak!!
Easily the worst I've seen him play since 2003.
I could not believe my eyes.
70+ UEs??
Agaisnt Nadal??
On Clay???

Oh My GOD...

Congrats to Nadal and his fans.
It's quite amazing how he is able to stand his ground at such a young age on that big a stage.
Very admirable.

blueskye
06-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Congrats Rafa!!! wohooooooooooo!

MariaV
06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
i have heard alot about Fed's play, bad BH, being nervous etc from ppl (and commentators) v Nadal today...
but id like to see any of them play for 3 hours on clay against someone that fast, ultra competative and makes about 3 UE's a set :lol:

the only thing im concerned about Federer is he seems to shank more and more shots thesedays, Mac once said its because he is trying to be too aggresive on balls he should'nt be, but then you see him shank a mid court FH into row Z.

but overall im proud of the champ, today's dissapointment will only make another day even more sweeter. :yeah:
Rafa is the only one these days who can match Fed for the speed. :wavey:

bandabou
06-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Roger had the tactic down in the 1st set but then blew that game when he led 40-0 in the second set, then blew that 0-40 game in the third-set at 2-1, got into it with the umpire, and that was it. The way he fought back in the 4th set was great, that rally to get to bp was probably the best of the match, but then he went again in the tie-breaker. Too bad. Congrats to Rafa...Roger, next time better. You have to start winning some, otherwise it ain't a rivalry.

bandabou
06-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Yep...another thing, Nadal had it down too...after the 1st set he served ONLY to the backhand of Roger and that wears you down..hitting shoulder high backhands for 3 hours, man..

Allez
06-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Fellow Federer fans stop making Roger out to be the favourite when next he meets Nadal on non grass surfaces! He clearly is not and is weird how everytime people predict his victory and he comes short. Based on their previous encounters I predicted a 4 set win for Rafa and that's what we got. Of course our predictions have zero bearing on the matches, but just use some common sense before going on about how Roger will win in 3 sets against Nadal on clay!!! :crazy::crazy::crazy:Allez!!!

MariaV
06-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Fed's interview is up.
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2006-06-11/200606111150049160869.html

Scotso
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Vamos Rafael! :bounce: :worship:

stebs
06-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Well done Rafa.

It wasn't a very good match. Rafa played far better against Ljubo than he did today. The last 2 sets of the match were really mediocre by both guys. I feel that had either one of them stepped up the otehr would've countered and made it a great match but it never happened. It's a shame.

Roll on grass.

JadexD
06-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Congrats Rafa! Two Roland Garros titles in a row. ;) My mom gets nervous when she watches these kind of finals.
Roger, there's always next year...and Wimbledon.

jmp
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Congratulations to Roger on making the final. :)

I'm very impressed with RAFA! WTG!!

One of my relatives telephoned me right as the match got underway. Instead of panicing and hanging up as I would normally do I had a lovely conversation with her and didn't go out of my mind when Rafa went down 1-6. By the time I hung up he was up 3-0. I was on edge throughout the forth set. But, Rafa showed great fortitude and came through brilliantly.

I'm so happy for Rafa. :D

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Vamos RAFA!

14-0 at Roland Garros.

The clay king still reigns. :D

Skyward
06-11-2006, 06:57 PM
70+ UEs??
Agaisnt Nadal??
On Clay???

Oh My GOD...

Where have you been? Nothing new actually.

Clara Bow
06-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I am very sad for Roger :sad:

I am thrilled for Rafa :D

That sums it up for me.

Skyward
06-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Fellow Federer fans stop making Roger out to be the favourite when next he meets Nadal on non grass surfaces!

The problem is that Fed's fans don't visit the GM very often these days. Tards do.
AT the RF forum people were not optimistic at all. :wavey:

Congrats to Rafa. Very well done.

Castafiore
06-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Totally off topic but did you guys see Stephan Edberg during the trophy ceremony?
He hasn't changed a bit and still looks fantastic.

Metis
06-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Congrats to Nadal! Great effort. He truly deserved this victory. :worship:

Isn't it interesting that defending champions in both women's and men's fields as well as men's doubles won again? I wonder if that has happened before...

rue
06-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Congratulations to Nadal for putting up a great fight and winning for the second consecutive year.

Deivid23
06-11-2006, 08:06 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: Congrats Rafa, what a big champion he is and how strong mentally he was in this match despite failing to serve it out, but ending it finally in this fourth-set tiebreaker and not going on to lose the set and probably the match, how many players would have most likely fared against Federer in this situation.

What a big Sunday for Spain :yeah: twice the national anthem, first Alonso and then Nadal :banana: :woohoo: Only a won match in World Cup today evening would be missing to make it complete :lol: ;)

:hug:

Spain vs Ukraine :scared:

Deivid23
06-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Congrats to the champ, he didn´t fail me, I knew he would back up his great 2005 season with another one, even more tyranic, well done Rafa, u fucking animal :lol:

He started very nervous, I saw that coming somehow but it was fantastic to see how he overcame that situation and also the break when serving out the match, impressive at clutch time.

PD: Well done also to Roger for reaching the finals, some day he will win RG, I hope.

star
06-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Totally off topic but did you guys see Stephan Edberg during the trophy ceremony?
He hasn't changed a bit and still looks fantastic.

No, but yum! :drool: I'm going to check the recording and look for him.

Hagar
06-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm extremely disappointed because Federer played brilliant in the first set and then he let it go, I have no clue why.
I have also noticed that with each time I see Nadal play, I find his game uglier. Yes, it is effective but I find it unattractive. And it is not the dominance which bothers me. I am a huge Lleyton fan and I still managed to enjoy his loss against FED at the US Open 2004 (with double bagel). Guga was also dominant on clay but I loved his game.

Roger, please start winning against this Nadal guy...

mdhallu
06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm extremely disappointed because Federer played brilliant in the first set and then he let it go, I have no clue why.
I have also noticed that with each time I see Nadal play, I find his game uglier. Yes, it is effective but I find it unattractive. Guga
If you wanna see something attractive go to a Beauty Pageant...this is a tennis match, the player who has the guts and fearlessness will prevail if they make less errors.

CassL
06-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Wow, I'm not a Rafa fan, but damn, he is so impressive. Congrats!

Hagar
06-11-2006, 09:14 PM
If you wanna see something attractive go to a Beauty Pageant...this is a tennis match, the player who has the guts and fearlessness will prevail if they make less errors.

I don't need to go to a Beauty Pageant to see something attractive. Watching Roger Federer play a good match is attractive enough.

ChloeLove
06-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm so happy for Nadal! I couldn't believe that first set, it was very hard for me to watch, but I wasn't that surprised when he came back in the second and handed Roger back his breadstick. Nadal then dominated most of the game, until that little slip up in the fourth set. As usual, I was really impressed at how strong he was mentally throughout the match. I love watching him play, and he'll go down in history as one of the best clay courters ever. Congrats Rafa :yeah:

As for Roger, I was a little sad for him when he lost, but at least he went out with a fight. I was a bit worried that he was going to let Rafa run away with the championship, it wouldn't have been as sweet if that were the case. So anyway good job to him for making the finals, and i'm sure he'll dominate the rest of the year. :hug:

thrust
06-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Roger played well in the first set, but Rafa was awful. The second set was a reversal of the first set. Rafa was the better player the rest of the match. Roger and Rafa are 1-1 on hard courts, Roger^s only win against Nadal, in 5 sets. It would seem to me that Rafa has a good chance to seriously challenge Roger on hard courts. He owns Roger on clay! Well done Rafa, keep it up!!

musefanatic
06-11-2006, 09:28 PM
It was a good final, I was disappointed too with Federer that he played so brilliantly and just couldn't seem to do anything else after that first set. It was great from Rafa of course but i think fed should've challenged him a lot more than he did.

thrust
06-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Edberg did indeed look great! Great guy with a great game, a real classy man.

mallorn
06-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Roger played well in the first set, but Rafa was awful. The second set was a reversal of the first set. Rafa was the better player the rest of the match. Roger and Rafa are 1-1 on hard courts, Roger^s only win against Nadal, in 5 sets. It would seem to me that Rafa has a good chance to seriously challenge Roger on hard courts. He owns Roger on clay! Well done Rafa, keep it up!!
Their H2H on hard is 2-1 for Rafa. Miami 2004 and Dubai. ;)

Merton
06-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Congrats Rafa, he defended his RG title quite convincingly, he was never in danger of losing during this tournament. He was quite impressive after he found his rhythm in the 2nd set and even failing to serve out the match did not shake him mentally.

Roger did not play his best neither in this match nor during the tournament, i think that he peaked in Rome. Still, reaching the final is his best result at RG. I don't care one bit about GOAT discussions, streaks, and "the Roger slam", i just enjoy seeing him play, winning today would not have made him the greatest ever but losing also doesn't mean that he will never be. At the end of the day, i just hope that he retains his form, stay healthy and keep knocking at the door. Hopefully he will win at RG one day.

tripb19
06-11-2006, 10:36 PM
:worship: Well done Rafa!!!! Too good!!!! :worship:

Rogi :eek: Not good, you'll never beat him playing that way :sad:

adee-gee
06-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Damn, I got a temporary ban and haven't been able to make the most of this victory :(

chicky841
06-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Vamos Rafa. I rooted for him all the way. :) :bigclap: :whoohoo:

Overall the match was disappointing (altho im glad it was a relatively easy win for Rafa) when you take into account all the hype that this match had. Reminded me of the RG semi's last year. At least Rome was good. Tough lucky Fed, about 2 weeks till Wimbledon tho.

eddie_hyden
06-12-2006, 01:37 AM
Their H2H on hard is 2-1 for Rafa. Miami 2004 and Dubai. ;)

yeah, not to mentioned the one rafa lost to roger in miami 2005, he was 2 points away from winning...

imagine if he had won that...

Mimi
06-12-2006, 01:49 AM
:bowdown: :woohoo: :haha: :dance: :hug: :bigclap: :bigwave: :rocker2: :music:

jole
06-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Hats off to Nadal, better luck in the future Federer.

jole
06-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Congrats Rafa, he defended his RG title quite convincingly, he was never in danger of losing during this tournament. He was quite impressive after he found his rhythm in the 2nd set and even failing to serve out the match did not shake him mentally.

Roger did not play his best neither in this match nor during the tournament, i think that he peaked in Rome. Still, reaching the final is his best result at RG. I don't care one bit about GOAT discussions, streaks, and "the Roger slam", i just enjoy seeing him play, winning today would not have made him the greatest ever but losing also doesn't mean that he will never be. At the end of the day, i just hope that he retains his form, stay healthy and keep knocking at the door. Hopefully he will win at RG one day.

Yes, obviously Roger isn't pleased right now, but making the finals is a net addition to points so no shame in that.

yoguis
06-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Congratulations Rafa!

nayeli0016
06-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Congratulations Rafa

Mimi
06-12-2006, 03:08 AM
sampras did beat agassi on clay, i think its at either 91 or 93 FO :confused: , also in 2002, at USA :wavey:

azmad_88
06-12-2006, 03:15 AM
Yes, obviously Roger isn't pleased right now, but making the finals is a net addition to points so no shame in that.

Nadal defended all his clay points perfectly this year...can fererer do it on grass(which he will) and the remaining of the year..we will see...

Oriental_Rain
06-12-2006, 03:32 AM
Good job Nadal
well done Federer, YOU WILL WIN fo ONE DAY!

yomike
06-12-2006, 03:47 AM
Thank you Nadal for keeping Federer's hands of the Musketeers cup. I am gonna watch the replay later so I could see for myself the disappointment in Federer's eyes:).

and yeah Congrats to Rafa I thought he was out after that first set blowout.

By the way, did anyone else take considerable pleasure out of Federer looking completely and utterly helpless out there?

Considering how rare we see that happeining I enjoy it while it last.

Alvarillo
06-12-2006, 06:17 AM
L'Equipe (France) and MARCA (Spain) Today :)

Puschkin
06-12-2006, 06:19 AM
As a fan of Roger, I felt no joy in watching yesterday's match. I would have liked to witness a career-slam, but congratulations to Nadal for a well-deserved victory.

Upon reflection, not all is bleak. Roger lost a GS-final and together with it many winning streaks. The pressure (at least partly) is off. This may bring back the beauty and the magic of Roger's game for which I became his fan first.

ufokart
06-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Great win Nadal.

Both didn't play that well and i found the match pretty boring, but the end of the 4th set was very good.

Federer reached with this final, the final of all slams, right? (and he won 3 of them)

MariaV
06-12-2006, 06:51 AM
As a fan of Roger, I felt no joy in watching yesterday's match. I would have liked to witness a career-slam, but congratulations to Nadal for a well-deserved victory.

Upon reflection, not all is bleak. Roger lost a GS-final and together with it many winning streaks. The pressure (at least partly) is off. This may bring back the beauty and the magic of Roger's game for which I became his fan first.
:hug:
I hope the pressure is off Rafa now too and he can play more freely than at RG. :)

ivanna
06-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Congratulations to Rafa. Sooo greeaaat. Hope he does good in Wimbledon too. Well nice game by Fed too. He tried his best for sure. :D

oz_boz
06-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Fed :sad:
Rafa :hatoff:

Lousy first two sets. It got better after that but none of the players reached their peak level during the match. If Roger had played like in the Rome final, he could have beaten Nadal. But that didn't happen, he got overpowered as usual.

I hope Nadal can step up on faster courts so we get to see more matches between these two who right now are head and shoulders above the rest bar Nalby.