Day 1 AO: Order of Play [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Day 1 AO: Order of Play

Frooty_Bazooty
01-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Schedule of play for the first day is out

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

looks liike schuettler might have a tough time against robin soderling. also, i cant belivee there are making Moya play on the first day!

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 01:35 PM
that's a huge first day.... dang!!!

Experimentee
01-17-2004, 02:00 PM
I think Roddick vs Gonzo should be the night match instead of Agassi vs Larkham, which will be so boring and last for about an hour :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Well... the time Andy's match is scheduled coincides pretty well with the nighttime live tv coverage we're getting in the US (11pm-2am eastern time).... 11am in australia is 7pm US Time so if Schuettler and Justine's matches take a pretty long time, which (for Schuettler's match against Soderling anyway) is plausible, Andy's match will be on live tv here. So I'm sure this explains the scheduling a little bit. It does seem odd to have the #1 seeds from both sides right after each other and starting so early though.....

Scotso
01-17-2004, 02:09 PM
GO FERNANDO!

Scotso
01-17-2004, 02:09 PM
And the Aussies want there own for the night match. Understandable.

star
01-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Live TV? That would be unheard of for ESPN. ;)

Andy is going up on the first day. Doesn't give too much time for his blisters to heal. I think that they must have known he was scheduled for the first day when they made the decision to withdraw.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 02:17 PM
lol star.... ESPN2 anyway.

and yes, that's exactly what I meant...

star
01-17-2004, 02:34 PM
There are so many wonderful matches! It's too bad we have this artificial divide between men's and women's matches in this format. But..... oh well.

Robin Soderling (SWE) vs. Rainer Schuettler (GER)[6] I am pulling hard for Robin in this one. I like Rainer, but he's not Swedish now is he? I think Robin has a great chance to get by Rainer if Rainer continues to struggle as he has so far this year.

Andy Roddick (USA)[1] vs. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) This is going to be fantastic. Gonzo always has a chance to win against any player if he is playing in the zone. Here's hoping he hits a few too many wild and wacky shots and Andy gets past this dangerous first round.

Gustavo Kuerten (BRA)[19] vs. John van Lottum (NED) Guga might survive the first round in Melbourne. Makes me feel like having a party. :aparty:

James Blake (USA) vs. Carlos Moya (ESP)[7] This is the sad match. Normally I would be cheering for James like mad, but now I feel like a meanie for doing that.

Chris Guccione (AUS) vs. Alun Jones (AUS) This is the cruel match. Maybe Jelena should take a look at this before talking about how the AO normally rigs the draw for its own. But I'm pulling for Chris in this one. A big serving lefthanded redhead. What's not to like?

Marat Safin (RUS) vs. Brian Vahaly (USA) This one might be interesting.

Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs. Taylor Dent (USA)[27] I find myself rooting for a Spaniard. :)

Younes El Aynaoui (MAR)[18] vs. Galo Blanco (ESP) The magical Morrocan fights cheap white wine. I think Younes might be able to get the win here even though he is subpar.

Nicolas Massu (CHI)[12] vs. Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) I have hopes for Jarkko here, but he was a little unlucky in his draw.

Gaston Gaudio (ARG) vs. Tommy Robredo (ESP)[20] I like them both about the same. It could be a good match. Just don't make Gaston mad, Tommy.

Irakli Labadze (GEO) vs. Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) Another potentially interesting match.
followed by:

Kenneth Carlsen (DEN) vs. Sjeng Schalken (NED)[16] Two favorites. :sad: But then Sjeng isn't Danish so....... GO KEN!!!

Ivo Karlovic (CRO) vs. Mardy Fish (USA)[21] This might be a fabulous match way out there on Court 17. GO FISH

Thomas Enqvist (SWE) vs. Vincent Spadea (USA)[29] Tompa!! Please win this one. Do it for tennis!!

Anthony Dupuis (FRA) vs. Todd Martin (USA) Gentleman Todd. Playing until his last quiver. ;)

Oscar Hernandez (ESP) vs. Nicolas Lapentti (ECU) NICO!!!!!

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 03:01 PM
star you crack me up... btw did not realize you liked Mardy.... or is that you don't like Ivo? lol!!!!

good stuff though..... you should predict for our site!!

Prophetic
01-17-2004, 03:03 PM
haha..i second that Bunk

Tennis Fool
01-17-2004, 03:42 PM
This draw is the toughest I've seen, maybe ever.

star
01-17-2004, 04:49 PM
star you crack me up... btw did not realize you liked Mardy.... or is that you don't like Ivo? lol!!!!

good stuff though..... you should predict for our site!!

No, no. I like Mardy. Why do you think I don't?

He's not a top favorite, but I like him fine. I think he has a game that is entertaining when he puts it all together. He gets point for tenacity as well. He was a top junior, but he didn't glide into the game like Roddick. He had some pretty rough times after he entered the pros, but he worked very hard and didn't give up.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 06:43 PM
I didn't think you DISliked him.... I guess I thought you were ambivalent ;) Oh well, good to know anyway lol. He beat Karlovic the last time they played, I hope he can do it again b/c I want him to do well so he can play DC!!

J. Corwin
01-17-2004, 08:36 PM
nice comments on the matches, Star

And nice Day 1 schedule! :)

Leo
01-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Well... the time Andy's match is scheduled coincides pretty well with the nighttime live tv coverage we're getting in the US (11pm-2am eastern time).... 11am in australia is 7pm US Time so if Schuettler and Justine's matches take a pretty long time, which (for Schuettler's match against Soderling anyway) is plausible, Andy's match will be on live tv here. So I'm sure this explains the scheduling a little bit. It does seem odd to have the #1 seeds from both sides right after each other and starting so early though.....

Justine's match will be 30 minutes, probably.

We'll definitely see all of Andre and Andy's match this fortnight. ESPN can't NOT show those two when covering an event. It'd ridiculous.

Lindsay on Show Court #3?! That's totally disrespectful, considering that she's a past champion and one of the four favorites this year. I don't understand how Tanasugarn and Dementieva are placed on bigger show courts than her. Well, knowing Lindsay, she won't care.

Leo
01-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Gustavo Kuerten (BRA)[19] vs. John van Lottum (NED) Guga might survive the first round in Melbourne. Makes me feel like having a party. :aparty:

Maybe, maybe not. Van Lottum was dxestroying Kuerten last year at Wimbledon and would have won had it not been for an unfortunate mid-match injury. Although the rebound ace surface should suit Kuerten more.

WyverN
01-18-2004, 04:06 AM
I am looking forward to Larkham against Agassi in the evening
only because Johny Mac will be commentating and he sure did tear Larkham apart last year. If I recall correctly something along the lines of "It is a embarassment for Larkham and all his fans that they put a player of such calibre on center court."

Leo
01-18-2004, 04:32 AM
I am looking forward to Larkham against Agassi in the evening
only because Johny Mac will be commentating and he sure did tore Larkham apart last year. If I recall correctly something along the lines of "It is a embarassment for Larkham and all his fans that they put a player of such calibre on center court."

And then his father challenged McEnroe to a duel after that comment. :lol: