SUPPOSE ROGER OR RAFA RETIRES FROM RG FINAL? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

SUPPOSE ROGER OR RAFA RETIRES FROM RG FINAL?

Devotee
06-10-2006, 08:17 PM
It would be the biggest anti-climax of the year, lead to all sorts of speculation and leave fans still in suspense about Roger's place in history.

I made a poll to help us express our feelings on this.
Multiple choices allowed.

fooclate
06-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Noo NO! lets not think about that! After everything! the hype, speculation,the wait, the talk. That would be the biggest let down in history. It would tear the Dream final that everyone has in their minds. Shattered!

MariaV
06-10-2006, 08:40 PM
:haha: :haha: They're both in a good shape physically so ...

oneandonlyhsn
06-10-2006, 09:22 PM
MTF would crash for a week :tape:

atheneglaukopis
06-10-2006, 09:26 PM
My first question will be: Was a banana involved?

tangerine_dream
06-10-2006, 09:29 PM
There's no way in hell that either would retire from a final due to cramps, stomach aches, or bananas.

Angele
06-10-2006, 09:32 PM
I think it would take nothing short of a broken leg to get either of them to retire tomorrow but if one of them retires, like most people I'll be dissapointed and upset. Depending at why one of them retired, I might be upset towards them. If they're cramping or feeling ill, they should play on imo. It's the final of a grand slam, not the first round of some small tournament. The match needs to be completed. If they suddenly get an injury that stops them from being able to play, they'd be entitled to retire. Hopefully nothing like that will happen though and we'll be treated to a great match :D

Angele
06-10-2006, 09:33 PM
There's no way in hell that either would retire from a final due to cramps, stomach aches, or bananas.
Agreed :yeah:

atheneglaukopis
06-10-2006, 09:38 PM
:spit: Speaking of which, I was highly disappointed to be away from computers during the whole banana incident. How many innuendoes on MTF must I have missed about Carlos not having trained his pupil properly? :angel:
A lot. Plus one that went the other way--out of force of long habit, he deep-throated instead of swallowing. Hey, makes at least as much sense to me.

Scotso
06-11-2006, 12:32 AM
As Amelie coined, I think both of them will be ready to die on the court.

Scotso
06-11-2006, 12:33 AM

Yes... well, at least not from a GS final.

scoobs
06-11-2006, 12:34 AM
As Amelie coined, I think both of them will be ready to die on the court.
Damn right. I don't think quit is in either of their vocabularies.

I have no memory of either of them ever retiring from a match, though if someone wants to correct me, fair enough.

In a slam final with so much at stake, I think I'll see pigs fly first.

robert6061
06-11-2006, 03:36 AM
What a horrible horrible thought!!! If there is a retirement tomorrow the 2006 French Open will always be remembered as the year of retirements in big matches.

Tomorrow's final is in many ways the most important grand slam final for several years for so many different reasons..Federer's first French Open final, the prospect of winning the only slam that so far eludes him, if Fed wins he is half way to winning the grand slam not to mention Rafa's desire to repeat with the added incentive of beating the world number one in the final.

A retirement in the final will be highly unlikely as both Fed and Rafa will walk through fire to win tomorrow. If either becomes injured, it will take a particularly serious injury to make either of them retire. I think we are in for a classic.

BArsonlyone
06-11-2006, 05:34 AM
just to add to what ^^ robert said, many of us are forgetting that Roger is the reigning champion to the last three slams. he is only one match away from being a holder of all the slams. it may not be a calendar slam, which may happen nonetheless this year, but owning four slams in a row is an amazing feat. i know that rod laver owned all 4 slams twice in his career, but who else held 4 slams? i hope he gets the "Roger slam."

mallorn
06-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Damn right. I don't think quit is in either of their vocabularies.

I have no memory of either of them ever retiring from a match, though if someone wants to correct me, fair enough.

In a slam final with so much at stake, I think I'll see pigs fly first.
Rafa retired in Auckland last year against Hrbaty, he had chest pains.

Once he was too proud to retire and finished a match with a fracture in his foot, which then sidelined him for three months. So I for one hope that if something unexpected happens they won't try to play at all cost.