Which dark horse will go furthest at the AO? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which dark horse will go furthest at the AO?

Tennis Fool
01-17-2004, 04:54 AM
Which of these players do you like? Any other honorable mentions?

Havok
01-17-2004, 05:00 AM
voted for Verkerk on serve alone. if its on, he can go quite far

Flora3892
01-17-2004, 05:05 AM
even though ljubicic doesn't have the easiest draw (with agassi in there!!), i think he's capable of upsets! he certainly is good enough! i was tempted to say safin but i don't think he's TOTALLY back to his top 10 form yet and his draw isn't exactly easy~ verkerk retired from a match yesterday so who knows how he is physically... good luck to all of them~

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 05:16 AM
Taylor Dent for sure deserves a mention.

CooCooCachoo
01-17-2004, 07:10 AM
I went with Verkerk, since his draw is relatively easy, although he isn't fit (withdrew in Sydney). Hrbaty with his streak now could do very well too.

Minimum_Chips
01-17-2004, 11:26 AM
You wouldn't want to draw Dommy, lets put it that way.

Vass
01-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I don't know what to expect from Marat realy, but I voted from him. This AO is the answer to this question for him: What's stronger: talent+physical readiness-mental readiness, or talent+ mental readiness- physical.

Kiara
01-17-2004, 01:23 PM
I just noticed where Enqvist was on the draw...hehe

Glenn
01-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Nadal or Hrbaty.

Springy
01-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Lopez has a good draw..he can be a real dark horse!

Experimentee
01-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Probably Hrbaty, if hes not too tired. He mentioned that he was a bit mentally tired after two straight weeks of play (hes very physically fit). He has Robredo in his draw, who can be dangerous but I think Dommy can do it. Hes in Agassi's section so that will be a problem, but he has a winning record against Andre (2-1) but it will be tougher on this surface.

Safin is also a great chance, I think he should be able to get through to at least the SF with his relatively easy draw, if he plays to his potential and doesnt lose it mentally.

croat123
01-17-2004, 02:21 PM
ivan has a good draw... either him or marat

Frooty_Bazooty
01-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I think a dark horse should be someone who no one really expects to do well. So Hrbaty would hardly be one considering he is leading the tour on match wins.

My dark horses are Igor Andreev and Cyril Saulnier

dismal_aptitude
01-17-2004, 02:23 PM
i don't see why marat would be a 'dark horse', seeing as his ranking slide was largely b/c of his injuries last year.

dominik could probably break a few hearts along the way. he's a great hard court and clay court player, since he did make it to the qf at the ao back in '01. and he's very quick - did any1 see his match against xavier at the hopman cup a couple of years ago? that guy can run several marathons and still find his breathe! he hits pretty hard as well, and i reckon he's got one of the best serves and forehands in the game (great topspin!) - so he'll be lethal against players like juan-carlos, who aren't great counter-punchers against power-players.

rafael might stand a chance, but like taylor dent, marat, tommy robredo and rob ginerpi, he's prone to unforced errors! plus i reckon he's weak against all round players like roger, rainer and yevgeny. a 4th rnd finish might not be too far a stretch for him.

i think players like sjeng and paradon are a good bet to go far at the ao. both are good on fast surfaces. xavier, lleyton and carlos could make it to the semis as well :)

Frooty_Bazooty
01-17-2004, 02:36 PM
paradorn and sjeng are good but they cant beat the big guys. as soon as they meet anyone who is seeded higher than them they drop like flies

Vass
01-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Marat with Moya injured can get very far.

dismal_aptitude
01-17-2004, 02:54 PM
paradorn and sjeng are good but they cant beat the big guys. as soon as they meet anyone who is seeded higher than them they drop like flies

true...although i sometimes find sjeng's game v.annoying. in his match against andy in canada last year, he made so many unforced errors, he just allowed him to take the match 6-3, 6-2. plus his serve is one of the slowest and weakest...kinda like elena dementieva on the women's side (though he doesn't make as many errors on his serve).

but don't discount him and paradon. even all round players like rainer (ok, he's not great at the net, but he's quick, like dominik and lleyton) find him to be a tough match-up. it's just the errors he LIKES TO MAKE :(

paradon's got power and doesn't make nearly as much errors, so i don't see why he can't live up to his seeding and probably cause an upset...

but i don't wanna jinx those 2, so i'll leave it at that :p

CooCooCachoo
01-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Probably Hrbaty, if hes not too tired. He mentioned that he was a bit mentally tired after two straight weeks of play (hes very physically fit). He has Robredo in his draw, who can be dangerous but I think Dommy can do it.

I think that Tommy is has been doing well so far and he will be able to take on Dominik. Let's not forget that Hrbaty hasn't been playing the 'big' tournaments (Auckland really isn't all that). He has beaten some good players, but Tommy has played in Sydney and won a few matches. But it will be close and I hope Tommy can clinch the victory!

jorisv
01-17-2004, 06:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/australian_open_2004/3333701.stm
20 Tommy Robredo

The talented Spaniard is still waiting for his big breakthrough, despite another solid season in 2003. The 21-year-old reached three ATP semi-finals and a final, but the highlight was an appearance in the French Open quarter-finals. He beat three-times champion Gustavo Kuerten and Lleyton Hewitt in Paris, but although he performed consistently for the rest of the year he failed to beat a player ranked above him.

Hmmm, I've checked the latter, but he beat Safin, Lopez, Schalken, Bjorkman, Chela, Grosjean, Gonzalez and Gaudio last season. So it's not completely true, but they have a point. He's a Novak type: beats lower ranked players and loses to higher ranked. If he can step up this year, he might become a solid top fifteen player. Besides a QF at R.G. and a final in Stuttgart he hasn't got much to defend, and yet he is ranked 20th. Forza Robredo.

MisterQ
01-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Don't know what Marat's form is like these days, but he was in the final only two years ago. So I have to go with him.

Chloe le Bopper
01-17-2004, 07:16 PM
so he'll be lethal against players like juan-carlos, who aren't great counter-punchers against power-players.

Fortunately he's not anywhere near Ferrero himself in the draw *sigh of relief*

rafael might stand a chance, but like taylor dent, marat, tommy robredo and rob ginerpi, he's prone to unforced errors! plus i reckon he's weak against all round players like roger, rainer and yevgeny. a 4th rnd finish might not be too far a stretch for him.

I see him in the 3rd round - and that's assuming he upsets his likely second round opponent, Mantilla. To make the 4th he'd likely have to upset Hewitt.

Leo
01-17-2004, 09:26 PM
I voted Safin. I don't really have a clue.

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 11:28 PM
bump

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 11:30 PM
well erm.... not Verkerk!

Chloe le Bopper
01-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Hrbaty or Safin.. are they in the same quarter?

Sjengster
01-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Safin's in Roddick's, Hrbaty's in Agassi's, so they're in the same half.

Ma. Estefania
01-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Maybe Marat; but Dominik is looking dangerous since he won last week....

Hispanica
01-21-2004, 01:05 AM
I'd say Diminik and Rafael... Rafa already reached 3rd round in Wimby and a final last week. He'll go far. And look at how he won... dropped only 5 games

tennischick
01-21-2004, 01:07 AM
how do you define "dark horse" Fool? i'm having a hard time relating to the question as is.

Tennis Fool
01-21-2004, 01:53 AM
Someone not seeded, who's trying to come up, come back, remake their name, make their name...one who's not being talked about in the same breath as Roddick, Federer, et. al, but could surprise and go deep, if not win the whole thing...

Chloe le Bopper
01-21-2004, 02:50 AM
I'd say Diminik and Rafael... Rafa already reached 3rd round in Wimby and a final last week. He'll go far. And look at how he won... dropped only 5 games
I can't see Nadal getting past Hewitt, somehow. That would be the third round. And this is assuming he beats his next opponent.

Deboogle!.
01-21-2004, 04:59 AM
well two out now. Not Verkerk and not Ljubicic

WyverN
01-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Safin looked tired towards the end of todays match. He is running out of energy due to lack of match play and will struggle soon, I expect him to lose in the 4th rnd.

Nadal should beat Hewitt but I think he will struggle against Roger.

So I will go for equal Nadal/Safin

WyverN
01-21-2004, 12:21 PM
plus wheres timmy henman?

The predictor!
01-21-2004, 12:49 PM
I'm suprised no-one on here is talking about escude as a dark horse, he's a dangerous floater in his half of the draw! watch out!

Hispanica
01-22-2004, 04:52 AM
You are right predictor...

Bye the way... nadal won.

joske
01-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Verkerk a dark horse...? more of a giraffe or sth imo... :lol: no but he's still a good tennis player ;)

Spikey_Todd Reid_#1Fan
01-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Reid :drool: :D:D

Chloe le Bopper
01-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Wyver - I'm curious why you're so sure about Nadal over Hewitt? As much as I'd like you to be right, I just don't see it somehow :confused:

Break it down! Make me a believer ;)

Tennis Fool
01-22-2004, 11:40 PM
No one betting on Hrbaty after the crushing of Gaudio?

Chloe le Bopper
01-22-2004, 11:53 PM
No one betting on Hrbaty after the crushing of Gaudio?
I bet on HRbaty and Safin, weren't you listening? ;)

Ma. Estefania
01-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I do, I do, I already said, I think he's looking pretty dangerous since his win of last week....it seems his game of a couple of years is getting back....

tennischick
01-23-2004, 03:04 AM
Someone not seeded, who's trying to come up, come back, remake their name, make their name...one who's not being talked about in the same breath as Roddick, Federer, et. al, but could surprise and go deep, if not win the whole thing...
Canas...;)

Deboogle!.
01-23-2004, 06:42 PM
So it's down to Nadal and Marat... not a big surprise there

WyverN
01-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Wyver - I'm curious why you're so sure about Nadal over Hewitt? As much as I'd like you to be right, I just don't see it somehow :confused:

Break it down! Make me a believer ;)

I am not sure. Its just my prediction. I would say it is 60-40 in Nadal's favour.
I just look at how their games match up against each other. Hewitt struggles against baseline power players that take away the initiative from him (Kucera did for 1 set).

Nadal hits with more power of both wings then Hewitt and Hewitt generally hates players that are able to do it. As long as Nadal is consistent, doesn't try to out rally Hewitt but at the same time doesnt go for winners every point I give him a good shot.

The key is really on Nadal's serve as it is not his strong point and he will need a fair amount of first serves to hold his serve.

Ma. Estefania
01-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Canas...;)

I hope so too....after his match ag. Calleri, he seems to start recovering slowly but good from all his wrists' injuries; and he has yet that fight's spirit that I like so much. :D

Tennis Fool
01-24-2004, 01:35 PM
TC, you have good insight :D

I guess the poll answer is (drum roll)...Marat.

Conchon
01-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Yet another victory at the polls for Marat. ;)

MisterQ
01-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Those who mentioned Cañas, good pick! He is through after a big comeback against Henman.

And of course Marat is still there. Hoping his match with Blake produces some exciting tennis.

Hispanica
01-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Well, all the dark horses in the poll are out of AO.... Go Cañas

Vass
01-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Well, all the dark horses in the poll are out of AO.... Go Cañas
Ahm...all? Ginepri and Marat are there.

Leo
01-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Marat wins this poll.

But there are still other darkhorses alive and well. Blake, Ginepri, Canas, Pavel, and Arazi are pulling off upsets left and right and don't seem to be losing any steam.