Federer's 'Shanked' FHs and BHs - Nervousness? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer's 'Shanked' FHs and BHs - Nervousness?

Halba
06-10-2006, 03:22 AM
Is he nervous or something? Since the AO and last year at the start of matches he shanks the FH and BH and is obviously not moving well in the beginning due to poor footwork, and sometimes shanks the volleys due to 'laziness' in his movement. I guess its due to nervousness. But when the real Fed wakes up he's just a pure well oiled machine! Put the grease on, and he's perfect.

Halba
06-10-2006, 03:24 AM
i'm worried he will shank his backhand too much against Nadal Tomorrow

K-Dog
06-10-2006, 03:30 AM
well, that will have to be in a practice session, because Roger and Nadal don't play until Sunday.

Halba
06-10-2006, 03:34 AM
it is saturday in my time..tomorrow is sunday for me, match on tomorrow (my time)

soothsayer
06-10-2006, 04:09 AM
I think it's partly nerves, but I"ve also noticed that he tends to shank a ton of shots in windy conditions. It always seems like he plays a bit off when it's windy... maybe his swings have very little room for error.

K-Dog
06-10-2006, 06:42 AM
it is saturday in my time..tomorrow is sunday for me, match on tomorrow (my time)

oh yeah. won't the final be on sunday night-early monday morning?

Allez
06-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Nerves and the wind. One of the major reasons Federer is the player he is, is his incredible footwork and timing. When that part of his game is not 100%, he goes shanking. The conditions can affect his footwork and timing so can his nerves. In the future, age will come into play so you can expect more shanking as the years go by...

Halba
06-10-2006, 09:55 AM
but when real roger wakes up he goes wayy beyond shanking

after about midway second set he stops shanking or does very low UE's , plenty of winners!

stebs
06-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Federer always shanks. It is strage for such a great player but whether he's on or of form he shanks the ball.

bokehlicious
06-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Nerves and the wind. One of the major reasons Federer is the player he is, is his incredible footwork and timing. When that part of his game is not 100%, he goes shanking. The conditions can affect his footwork and timing so can his nerves. In the future, age will come into play so you can expect more shanking as the years go by...

True. He shanks more when it's windy or when he's nervous out there. Both timing and footwork are less accurate.

FedFan
06-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Roger was clearly nervous yesterday. And the pressure will only rise for tomorrow.

Hopefully he will step up mentally otherwise he won't stand much chance.