NADAL'S COACH COMPLAINS ABOUT UMPIRE [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NADAL'S COACH COMPLAINS ABOUT UMPIRE

mangoes
06-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Nadal's coach complains about umpire; Srebotnik-Zimonjic win mixed doubles

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-frenchopen-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

June 9, 2006

PARIS (AP) -- Rafael Nadal's uncle and coach, Toni, complained about the officiating of his nephew's French Open semifinal Friday, calling chair umpire Carlos Ramos "horrible."

Ramos warned Nadal for taking too much time between points during his three-set victory over Ivan Ljubicic.
"He was hurrying him all the time. A horrible attitude," Toni Nadal said.

The coach also said Ramos told Carlos Costa, the player's agent, to be quiet after Costa yelled encouragement during the match

"In my opinion, the umpire was totally incorrect. He was constantly trying to provoke our side, throwing us looks," Toni Nadal said.

R.Federer
06-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Uncle Toni, Uncle Toni.... don't say things to get the umpires against you or your ward .... ;)

Jogy
06-10-2006, 01:12 AM
And Federer whines about Nadal get coaching from his uncle... of course AFTER he has lost :lol:

so take choice for you what is better! :)

nobama
06-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Toni Nadal should not get so testy. He should just take the high road. Just like people thought Federer was wrong in shouting out at Toni in the Rome final perhaps Toni should take these things up in private?

nobama
06-10-2006, 01:14 AM
And Federer whines about Nadal get coaching from his uncle... of course AFTER he has lost :lol:

so take choice for you what is better! :)Lots of players have lost many times to Roger. How many of them have complained about coaching or anything else after the match?

oneandonlyhsn
06-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Ramos warned Nadal for taking too much time between points during his three-set victory over Ivan Ljubicic.

Uncle Toni :bigcry: cry me a river :music:

this is what happens when these dirty spaniards success starts going to much to the head.

Thats the most racist thing that I've ever read on MTF :rolleyes:

Spes
06-10-2006, 01:36 AM
This really does a lot for the Rafa coaching incident. Nice job, Uncle Toni. :tape:

Spes
06-10-2006, 01:37 AM
this is what happens when these dirty spaniards success starts going to much to the head.

Was this really neccessary? :(

scoobs
06-10-2006, 01:54 AM
I thought Roger should have kept his mouth shut to the media over the whole "coaching" issue - you sling mud and it will stick to you inadvertently whether you like it or not.

I don't think this was smart, either, from Toni Nadal - attacking the officiating is never a smart move - I didn't see anything from the umpire that was improper - in fact apart from the one time warning, which was deserved at that point, he didn't really attempt to enforce that rule again in the match. The umpire is also entitled to expect quiet from the player's entourage if he suspects anything untoward may be happening and it's his job to keep an eye on potential rule violations. Suspicions have been reported and clearly the official in that match was keeping checking the situation out carefully.

It's all a bit of a storm in a teacup though isn't it.

nkhera1
06-10-2006, 01:58 AM
LOL once again, another sign of this "Nadal mafia" which is becoming more rife....
its like goodfellas,
Rafa (good little boy who does as he is told), King Toni (ex-footballer, never without the shades, now an expert on tennis) and Carlos Costa now getting in on the act.

How can a player like Federer have such retarded fans. Just because he is number 1 it doesn't make you ant more special.

Bibberz
06-10-2006, 02:00 AM
LOL once again, another sign of this "Nadal mafia" which is becoming more rife....
its like goodfellas,
Rafa (good little boy who does as he is told), King Toni (ex-footballer, never without the shades, now an expert on tennis) and Carlos Costa now getting in on the act.

I thought Uncle Toni was a tennis player. Doesn't Nadal have some other uncle who played football?

Scotso
06-10-2006, 02:00 AM
Toni Nadal should not get so testy. He should just take the high road. Just like people thought Federer was wrong in shouting out at Toni in the Rome final perhaps Toni should take these things up in private?

Did Toni shout back?

LeeHesh
06-10-2006, 02:07 AM
I thought Uncle Toni was a tennis player. Doesn't Nadal have some other uncle who played football?

Yes, it was the other uncle who was a footballer. Don't worry about Esc; he really doesn't know much about football, being Scottish and all.

Corey Feldman
06-10-2006, 02:20 AM
I thought Uncle Toni was a tennis player. Doesn't Nadal have some other uncle who played football?miguel nadal was the footballer i know...

toni nadal- who cares, i cant keep up with this clan, and dont try to.

Thats the most racist thing that I've ever read on MTF :rolleyes:racist? i thought it was well known about these dirty spanish tennis tactics from the likes of Robredo and his injury time outs, double hitting etc..
ferrero and his coaching and now nadal with this slow play crap ;)

Corey Feldman
06-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Don't worry about Esc; he really doesn't know much about football, being Scottish and all.I probably know as much about football as you about cricket :confused:

:rolls:

Peta Pan
06-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Vamos Ramos!

Well Uncle Tony, if Rafael didn't have so many damn rituals to go through before every point and got on with it he wouldn't feel so hurried.

Uncle Tony should go find a hanky to cry into and let the umpires do what they are there to do.

nobama
06-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Did Toni shout back? :rolleyes: I'm talking about whining to the media about it.

admiralpye
06-10-2006, 03:50 AM

i think so too. he shouldn't aggravate the situation

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2006, 04:51 AM
How can a player like Federer have such retarded fans

This really is one of life's great mysteries :(

Haute
06-10-2006, 04:57 AM
Wasn't it the match against PHM that Nadal got a warning from Pascal Maria as well for taking too much time? So if Ramos wasn't the only umpire to say something about this, shouldn't Uncle Toni be having a little talk with Nadal instead of making enemies with the officials? :rolleyes:

eddie_hyden
06-10-2006, 05:08 AM
i think so too. he shouldn't aggravate the situation

well i don't think it aggravates the situation. it's not like toni sleeps in the same bed with those officials anyway... i doubt anything changes if he has good or bad relationship with those ppl...

publicity? yes.. and hey, it gets ppl talking about tennis...

admiralpye
06-10-2006, 06:19 AM
well i don't think it aggravates the situation. it's not like toni sleeps in the same bed with those officials anyway... i doubt anything changes if he has good or bad relationship with those ppl...

publicity? yes.. and hey, it gets ppl talking about tennis...

Just worried that this just adds unnecessary stress to an already high-pressure GS final match. :)

Allez
06-10-2006, 06:22 AM
I think it's time every umpire enforced the rule by not only giving Rafael warning, but also taking points away from him if his behaviour persists. Hope it starts tomorrow. Uncle Toni and Rafa are trying to bully officials into accepting Rafa's ridiculous delaying tactics. By the way apparently Rafa's been playing like this since 14 or 15 and Uncle Toni put him up to it. So it really doesn't surprise me he's come out swinging for his nephew's off putting rituals between points.

Deivid23
06-10-2006, 06:53 AM

:lol:

admiralpye
06-10-2006, 07:05 AM
I think it's time every umpire enforced the rule by not only giving Rafael warning, but also taking points away from him if his behaviour persists. Hope it starts tomorrow. Uncle Toni and Rafa are trying to bully officials into accepting Rafa's ridiculous delaying tactics. By the way apparently Rafa's been playing like this since 14 or 15 and Uncle Toni put him up to it. So it really doesn't surprise me he's come out swinging for his nephew's off putting rituals between points.

How are they bullying the officials?

I don't see Rafa even questioning the umpire when he gets warnings. Ljubo was the one arguing with him all the time yesterday. And Toni hasn't spoken to the umpires he was complaining about.

Argenbrit
06-10-2006, 07:09 AM

:lol:

Cervantes
06-10-2006, 07:13 AM

They should enforce the rule more strictly, but not starting tomorrow. I don't want Federer to win that way. However they should talk to Nadal off the court and warn him they're gonna pay more attention to this and he should speed up his game. That match against Mathieu could have been half an hour shorter if he didn't spend all that time in his towel.

Allez
06-10-2006, 07:22 AM
How are they bullying the officials?

I don't see Rafa even questioning the umpire when he gets warnings. Ljubo was the one arguing with him all the time yesterday. And Toni hasn't spoken to the umpires he was complaining about.
You don't have to talk to someone in person to bully them :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm not talking about school yard bullying here. In his post match interview Rafa implied that this umpire's actions were personal because Rafa's never had a problem with other umpires before (which I doubt). They're both sending messages, via the media, to the officials that Rafa's behaviour is acceptable and that it is the umpire who was out of line. The message is this: "If I've never had a warning before, then it must mean I'm not doing anything wrong. If you decide to go against your fellow umpires, who've never questioned my behaviour, then it means you have something against me and that is just not professional." "Why are they letting you sit on the chair in the first place ? ". "Tournament directors take note of this unprofessional and biased so-called umpire."

Ruski
06-10-2006, 07:22 AM
There are rules, Uncle Toni!!! :rolleyes: He wasn't happy because the tactics have been exposed!!!

By speaking out this issue and to think that it will scare the umpire off, that's totally wrong!!! In fact, it makes people to be even more interested to see how much time Rafael is going to take between points, and whether he is going to get some coaching from his uncle!!!!???

Rafael is a very good player, but I don't like him being taught to manipulate the rules!

sammy2
06-10-2006, 07:43 AM
The umpire also cautioned Nadal about slowness during the Hewitt match. Hewitt never said a word about it (nor did his coach, managers etc )and neither did Toni Nadal complain then.
It seems to be all part of the current off court gamesmanship that has slowly started to creep back into the game.
And, there are far too many reporters on the circuit (and everywhere else these days) and to keep their income coming in they seem to try to pick up any small titbit - exagerate the meanings - and low and behold we have a controversy. Good to sell to the papers I think.

Castafiore
06-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Another typical MTF thread.

If a person says something you like but it's controversial= "that person is only speaking his mind. Get over it"
If a person says something you dislike and it's contoversial = bashing time :wavey:

I've said it before, but I don't pay too much attention to what these people say right before and right after an important match but it would be interesting to see the context of these Toni quotes.
(but context doesn't matter in GM...it's much more fun to pick one quote and use that to tear apart a person...why bother trying to see things in perspective when you can feed your own prejudice, right?)

These last few weeks: what some of the trainers and players have said, has been blown out of proportion because...well, an article talking about how nice all these players and trainers are, that doesn't really sell as much as "player A verbally attacked player B, after which player B responded....the next day, trainer C of player C said..."

Anyway, I would have preferred to see uncle Toni take the high road on this.

admiralpye
06-10-2006, 10:42 AM
You don't have to talk to someone in person to bully them :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm not talking about school yard bullying here. In his post match interview Rafa implied that this umpire's actions were personal because Rafa's never had a problem with other umpires before (which I doubt). They're both sending messages, via the media, to the officials that Rafa's behaviour is acceptable and that it is the umpire who was out of line. The message is this: "If I've never had a warning before, then it must mean I'm not doing anything wrong. If you decide to go against your fellow umpires, who've never questioned my behaviour, then it means you have something against me and that is just not professional." "Why are they letting you sit on the chair in the first place ? ". "Tournament directors take note of this unprofessional and biased so-called umpire."

Do players and coaches truly have this power over the umpires and officials? I don't think so. I don't think their statements are going to change the rules of tennis.

Maybe they are griping, but not bullying, definitely. They don't have enough clout.

This can only work against the Nadal camp; they will be the ones who will be "bullied" more by the officials for saying these things in the media. After all, when they are out on court, the umpire can say anything and sanction Nadal and his coach for anything, and he can only formally complain about it after the match.

bokehlicious
06-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Fact is the Nadal clan's whining about one of the more respected umpire around won't help their image for sure.

RonE
06-10-2006, 11:19 AM
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0051.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0051.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0051.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0051.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0051.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0051.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0051.gif

Monteque
06-10-2006, 11:57 AM
that's why everybody hates nadal,... overacting and doesn't sensitive to its environts.

Castafiore
06-10-2006, 12:12 PM
that's why everybody hates nadal,... overacting and doesn't sensitive to its environts.
nice exaggeration there!

If Nadal was really insensitive to his environment, he wouldn't have given a few points to Ljubicic (when it was not clear whether the shot was in or not) - erasing the mark before the umpire could judge it and giving the sign that the point was for Ivan.

Having your preferences for certain players is one thing but blowing things out of proportion to feed your dislike of other players is a bit silly, don't you think?

Monteque
06-10-2006, 12:28 PM
nice exaggeration there!

If Nadal was really insensitive to his environment, he wouldn't have given a few points to Ljubicic (when it was not clear whether the shot was in or not) - erasing the mark before the umpire could judge it and giving the sign that the point was for Ivan.

Having your preferences for certain players is one thing but blowing things out of proportion to feed your dislike of other players is a bit silly, don't you think?

I can't explain it. Nothing more players but Nadal i dislike (not hate). I had huge dissapointed when Nalby beat Fed at TMC or by Richard at MonteCarlo last year but that's not make me to disliking them despita i really like Richard. But Nadal's behaviour just makes me like a chicken in a roasting spit.

mdhallu
06-10-2006, 12:36 PM
I don't really understand why people don't like Nadal...maybe its because he intimidates people...maybe its because he likes to pump those huge biceps after big wins..maybe its the fact that he likes to jump around with his white capri pants... not really sure. I think we're lucky to have someone like him around...if it wasn't for him tennis right now would be soooo boring...at least Federer has some competition

connectolove
06-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Nadal´s clan are insulted bc they have been attacked a little. They are acting out a little bc they are not used to be reprimanded. I hope that they get to understand that they should not be so affected. I have met the uncle, Nadal and his agent and they are all great & noble people.

DDrago2
06-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Exactly, connectolove. Nadal clan thought that life will be a fairytale for them, and nightmare for the others. Now they are learning that Nadal is a player like the others and not privileged.

star
06-10-2006, 04:02 PM

hmmmm... Well, I think that Federer should closely monitor all the time Nadal takes in between points and complain about it all during the match. And also he should continue to complain about coaching and everything else he can think to complain about during the match. I think that will go very nicely for him indeed. :angel:

MariaV
06-10-2006, 04:13 PM
That wasn't very wise of Toni of course. Seems like no-one can shut up before the GRAND FINALE. :lol: But Toni really should've kept his mouth shut. Now the umps are gonna be on his back.

athina7
06-10-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't understand why he is complaining. Nadal was clearly taking too much time and the umpire was perfectly justified to give him a warning.

scoobs
06-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I just think this could end up backfiring.

If the umpires feel they are under attack from the Nadal camp about this, their response might be to monitor the timing even more closely and hand out more violations - and if he plays in the final as he has the last two weeks, there will be scope for point penalties.

star
06-10-2006, 04:29 PM
I agree. It's not smart to get into controversy right before the final.

Castafiore
06-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't understand why he is complaining. Nadal was clearly taking too much time and the umpire was perfectly justified to give him a warning.
I don't know if Toni was talking about that instance really. He seemed to accept that time warning but uncle Toni was more talking about other things (...has anybody heard him talk about this in Spanish so we can judge this in the full context?)

At a certain point, the umpire told Carlos Costa to shut up when Carlos was merely saying "Vamos Rafa"...I mean, it's a bit over the top, isn't it?

...but yeah...Toni Nadal shouldn't have talked about the umpires in the press.

athina7
06-10-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't know if Toni was talking about that instance really. He seemed to accept that time warning but uncle Toni was more talking about other things (...has anybody heard him talk about this in Spanish so we can judge this in the full context?)

At a certain point, the umpire told Carlos Costa to shut up when Carlos was merely saying "Vamos Rafa"...I mean, it's a bit over the top, isn't it?
If that's the case, then yes, I agree it's a bit too much. But saying that the umpire was rushing Nadal, I think, is ridiculous.