Ljubicic vs Nadal the Match [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ljubicic vs Nadal the Match

El Legenda
06-09-2006, 11:12 PM
since all other theads are about bs. lets talk about the match. ESPN2 is just now showing the match. and for a player who is not good on clay, i thought Ivan played pretty good in the first set. when he made the 1st serve, nadal didnt have much of chance, he would hit it back and Ivan would hit a winner. Not sure what happened in 2nd set,(1st just got done on TV) and 3rd set looked good for Ivan from the stats point of view.

i give this thread 11min before low lifes ruin it :wavey:

not bad finish to clay season for Ivan 12-5 :wavey: FO SF, MC QF and World Team Cup Champion :yeah:

Sjengster
06-10-2006, 12:30 AM
In actual fact, as he himself said afterwards, he only started serving at his best in the third set - I believe he had 1 ace each in the first two sets, then 8 or 9 in the third. To be honest though, Nadal got too many good first serves back into play for Ljubicic to stand a chance, I mean just look at that point when the latter hit a great serve out wide on the ad side and it was thundered back down the line past him for a winner, from a long way behind the baseline. Ljubo was penetrating more in the rallies in the third set, but a couple of times he suddenly hit these insane lob dropshots out of nowhere that lost him the point instantly when he was in quite a good position, but you can't really blame him for going for the big second serve at 5-3 in the TB, even though he missed it. Ironically, it was Nadal who became the ace machine in the breaker, three or four I believe.

scoobs
06-10-2006, 12:34 AM
In the first two sets Ivan didn't serve particularly well but Nadal wasn't playing all that well either. Ivan created some chances for himself but didn't take them either by being over-aggressive and missing or by being tentative and being passed.

He went away a bit in the second set, let Rafa dictate too much.

In the third set he served very solidly but Rafa was playing much better by now and did not allow Ivan many chances when Rafa served. So it went to the tiebreak and Ivan got ahead and then served a double fault (you could almost see it coming a mile away) and it went back on serve. Rafa stole the crucial minibreak and then took the match.

So the overall story of the match is that Ivan struggled to serve well in a lot of it, and struggled throughout to find the right balance between aggression and patience.

mangoes
06-10-2006, 01:01 AM
I watched the third set, and Ivan shocked me too........... He played good and as Patrick McEnroe said, on a critical point, "Ljubicic made the stupidest of mistakes".....

If Ivan had displayed some of Hewitt's patience and executed his game, the match may have been tighter........ Ivan can't talk crap and then come out to play without his no. 1 weapon......

Merton
06-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Ivan served extremely well in the 3rd set but even if he won the 3rd-set tiebreak there is no way he could keep that level up for two more sets. He did great here to take advantage of his draw but i am quite impressed overall with his clay court season. (That is apart from the match against Chucho)

nkhera1
06-10-2006, 01:08 AM
I watched the third set, and Ivan shocked me too........... He played good and as Patrick McEnroe said, on a critical point, "Ljubicic made the stupidest of mistakes".....

If Ivan had displayed some of Hewitt's patience and executed his game, the match may have been tighter........ Ivan can't talk crap and then come out to play without his no. 1 weapon......

From the little I was able to see Ljubicic was getting killed in the longer rallies for the most part. He was serving at a really high percentage in the 3rd (in the 70's) which we all know he wouldn't be able to sustain but he was serving too low a percentage in the one of the first two sets so it kind of evened out. Nadal seemed to be playing a little more offensive during his service games. Ljubcic's serve in the 3rd set was really good and he was able to get a lot of points off it and set up a lot of shots. Overall I would say it was a great tournament for Ljubcic. He took advantage of his easy draw and gained a lot of points.

El Legenda
06-10-2006, 01:24 AM
there was a little window in 1st set, when Ivan hit a defensive forehand, called out, but overrulled by Ump, if that was called it, Nadal return went wide. could have maybe forced a TB.
but nothing he could do about the call.
He had good clay court season with 12-5.
i hope he follows the pattern, AO QF, FO SF, Wim F, USO Champ? :lol: