David and Ivan hope Roger will win the French Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

David and Ivan hope Roger will win the French Open

R.Federer
06-09-2006, 05:10 PM
They may be competitors on court, but it is awesome to hear of the respect and how much the locker room crowd is for Roger!
And David wished Roge and hoped he'd win the slam (from the RG website)

"I had to do something. He was perfect. I hit amazing shots which got me back into the match. He wished me good luck and hoped I would win the Slam."

Ivan:
"I would love to see Roger win it. I think everybody will because it would be nice," the Croatian said referring to Federer's bid to become only the third man to hold all four grand slam titles at once.

"He is the best player probably ever in tennis and it would be nice to see him lifting the trophy here."

(Edited to add Ivan's comments)

fooclate
06-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I love nalby! Now he's a player that Ivan can learn from! tch tch ivan

DDrago2
06-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Cheers for Nalbandian! A great guy!

marti_228
06-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I hope the same as David.

asotgod
06-09-2006, 05:59 PM
You can tell David is a nice guy and that he respects Roger and vice-versa.

Fergie
06-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Nice words David! :yeah:

bokehlicious
06-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Nice of David :yeah:

DrJules
06-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I think tennis expects and knowledgeable players find Roger's game more aesthetically pleasing. They prefer the diversity and variety of Roger's game. Rafael plays the game on a rather simpler level retrieving the ball and waiting for an error.

Argenbrit
06-09-2006, 06:56 PM
And I hope David wins Wimbledon 2006 and Ivan wins the USO 2006. ;)

Good luck, Roger. :)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Ivan seems to really like Federer! :)
Good luck to him too. :D Last time he has two match points,I think this time he will win!

rofe
06-09-2006, 06:58 PM
As if Roger doesn't have enough pressure already, these two idiots now add to the pressure by saying something like that. :rolleyes:

tennisgal_001
06-09-2006, 07:01 PM
That's really nice and classy of the two of them considering they're the world's #3 and #4 players...

R.Federer
06-09-2006, 07:01 PM
As if Roger doesn't have enough pressure already, these two idiots now add to the pressure by saying something like that. :rolleyes:
Actually, in his interview today Roger mentioned how nice it is that the locker room guys are actually rooting for him
I think that the only pressure there is, is the History making opportunity. Not so much from family (which is present), friends, girlfriend, Roche, locker room guys, etc.

ezekiel
06-09-2006, 07:02 PM
it just means they fear Nadal more :devil:

And don't you just love it how Roger wants everyone to know what was said privately after a match? :o

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I think tennis expects and knowledgeable players find Roger's game more aesthetically pleasing. They prefer the diversity and variety of Roger's game. Rafael plays the game on a rather simpler level retrieving the ball and waiting for an error.

For the record:

The simple retriever who just waits for the error had a ratio of 3.56 winners/ue today and made the "shotmaker" Ljubicic look like a muppet out there :D

R.Federer
06-09-2006, 07:06 PM
on the contrary. Here is a chance for a player of their generation to make history, and if anything one would think they would be envious, but they're not, they're actually rooting for him to win. Maybe they do fear raf more, but they're not playing the final so why would they want nadal not to win?

And don't you just love it how Roger wants everyone to know what was said privately after a match? :o

He was asked the question, he didn't come out tomtomming what davide said.

oneandonlyhsn

Ivan said it in his interview :rolleyes:

Clara Bow
I am not surprised - tennis history is on the line. The French Open is the only GS Roger has not won and with a win here he will be the first to hold all GS titles consecutively since Laver. I imagine that most players would like to see that happen for the first time in their lives and most retired players would like to see it for the first time since 1969. I mean sheesh- the last time this happened the Beatles were still together.

thrust
06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
I suppose many ATP players resent Nadal because, having just turned 20, he is higher ranked than they are and has accomplished more than most of them. If Rafa is taking more time between point that thre rules allow, then it is the chair who should warn him. If, as I think, he is playing according to the rules then there should be no complaints. Unless, of course, one is looking for an excuse for losing.

federated
06-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I am not surprised - tennis history is on the line. The French Open is the only GS Roger has not won and with a win here he will be the first to hold all GS titles consecutively since Laver. I imagine that most players would like to see that happen for the first time in their lives and most retired players would like to see it for the first time since 1969. I mean sheesh- the last time this happened the Beatles were still together.

totally. I think most players probably want Roger to win it because it adds cachet to the tennis epoch they are a part of.

:hug: for David, though. Very classy. Ivan seemed so pissy in his press conference (and poor Rafa seemed so hurt) that all I have to say to Ivan is :ras:

R.Federer
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM
I think it has less to do with history, and more to do with Roger. He is extraordinarily popular among his peers.
Let me put it this way: if it were Pete (I miss him) Sampras who had this chance, I'm not sure his peers in the locker room would be rooting him to get the Career Slam.

ys
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Seeing what kind of "supporters" Roger got, I think I will be supporting The Asspicker in this one..:)

oneandonlyhsn
06-09-2006, 07:14 PM

I agree, I am a huge Fed fan and want him to win so badly but seeing him lift that trophy and make tennis history which I will be lucky to see hopefully is even extraordinary.

DrJules
06-09-2006, 07:18 PM
For the record:

The simple retriever who just waits for the error had a ratio of 3.56 winners/ue today and make the "shotmaker" Ljubicic look like a muppet out there :D

Ivan 43 winners Rafael 41 winners,
Ivan 33 unforced errors Rafael 16 unforced errors.

Despite losing in 3 sets Ivan hit more winners, unforced errors was his problem.

Marine
06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Nice of them but I hope the crowd will be rooting for him too that's more important !

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Ivan 43 winners Rafael 41 winners,
Ivan 33 unforced errors Rafael 16 unforced errors.

Despite losing in 3 sets Ivan hit more winners, unforced errors was his problem.

I think you will agree 41 winners & 16 ues is not a bad stat for a simple retriever, no? ;)

LilyRoseAva
06-09-2006, 07:21 PM
everyone wants federer win french open, except fans of nadal, family of nadal and nadal himself .

R.Federer
06-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Nice of them but I hope the crowd will be rooting for him too that's more important !
Hell yeah! If they want the victory speech en Francais, they know whom to root for! (He might add in a few words in Schweizer-Deutsch, English, Romanov, Italiano, and ..... just to rub the salt in, Spanish!)

mangoes
06-09-2006, 07:25 PM

Agree :)..........and nicely put :lol: ..........I know, for me, it's this achievement I'd like to see for Roger........otherwise, I wouldn't have a problem with Nadal winning.........anyway, Mandora has promised to hold me to my word that if Roger wins RG this year, I'll support Rafa winning the next 3 French Opens :lol: :lol:

Marine
06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
everyone wants federer win french open, except fans of nadal, family of nadal and nadal himself .

C'est un peu prčs įa...lol
Anyway the french players root for him, and I suppose the journalists and the commentators too (Forget is his first fan ! lol)

Castafiore
06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Ivan...well, why can't he be happy with what he's accomplished this RG?
I'm really disappointed to see how bad he takes this.
Lleyton Hewitt is seen as a jerk by many in here but at least, he's usually very gracious in defeat.

David...maybe I have overlooked it but I have yet to hear him say anything bad about a player. I'm sure that he would want Federer to get his Roger slam but judging from what I've seen in the media, he likes Rafa a lot as well.

Many players want Roger to make history, true but I've seen enough comments from players, ex-players, commentators,...to know that Rafael Nadal is well respected and well liked.

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Ivan...well, why can't he be happy with what he's accomplished this RG?
I'm really disappointed to see how bad he takes this.
Lleyton Hewitt is seen as a jerk by many in here but at least, he's usually very gracious in defeat.

David...maybe I have overlooked it but I have yet to hear him say anything bad about a player. I'm sure that he would want Federer to get his Roger slam but judging from what I've seen in the media, he likes Rafa a lot as well.

Many players want Roger to make history, true but I've seen enough comments from players, ex-players, commentators,...to know that Rafael Nadal is well respected and well liked.

I didnīt expect anything different from Ljubicic but sth like this, but itīs long ago I donīt take his comments seriously, mind you, I wouldnīt have been surprised had he repeated he still feels like the #2 player in the world :lol:

Conita
06-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Nalbi :hug:
Ivan :hug:

i hope Federer wins
Nadal will probably win it again another yearr anyway considering he's just 20
so hope Fed takes it this time around :)

magnoliaewan
06-09-2006, 07:39 PM
I suppose many ATP players resent Nadal because, having just turned 20, he is higher ranked than they are and has accomplished more than most of them. If Rafa is taking more time between point that thre rules allow, then it is the chair who should warn him. If, as I think, he is playing according to the rules then there should be no complaints. Unless, of course, one is looking for an excuse for losing.

Why does it have to be resenting Nadal? Why can't it just be preferring someone else or maybe they actually like Federer and it has nothing to do with Nadal. :rolleyes:

oneandonlyhsn
06-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Why does it have to be resenting Nadal? Why can't it just be preferring someone else or maybe they actually like Federer and it has nothing to do with Nadal. :rolleyes:

Nah everyone hates Rafa :sad: :p

Seriously I like Ljubo but sometimes he just goes a little too far :lol:

chicky841
06-09-2006, 07:46 PM
I can understand the whole rooting for Fed cuz of the making history thing. Part of me would like to see it. But its a very small part.

Allez
06-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Roger is so popular with his peers! I'm sure Nadal is going to be extra pumped up to disappoint everyone.

thrust
06-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I was talking about players who resent Nadal, not fans

supersexynadal
06-09-2006, 09:27 PM
ivans doing it our of jelousy..URRGGhh the way he walked off court nodding his head like he has a chance...ppfff....Nalbandians just a SWEET guy!

Tom_Bombadil
06-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by DrJules

Oh my god, but how can you guys be as 'one dimensional' :D ? I wonder if some of you like chess. You play chess and you have a player like Kasparov who is the best in the history and played and incredible combinative attacking chess, but then we have Karpov a player who was champion of the world for so many years... And yeah, I can't imagine someone saying Karpov is simply a player who moves his pieces defensively waiting for the opponent to make a mistake... It's just ridiculous.

The purpose of a game is the victory. The victory is beautiful. So yeah, judge the aesthetics if you like it but if Nadal wins playing this way then he plays very well the game of tennis. Just read my quote on Agassi on my signature. The victory judges itself if a way of playing this sport is good or bad. If Nadal wins all Grand Slams playing as he plays then I guess you'll end up changing your approach. Yeah, the guy has just won 59 games on clay, has broken many records and is the defending champion of RG but someway, someone always finds a way to discredit his style of play.

Jogy
06-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah and I hope Nadal wins and Federer loses hard on Sunday to get his cocky sore ass whiped :yeah:

star
06-09-2006, 11:10 PM
He was asked the question, he didn't come out tomtomming what davide said.

So many times when asked that question players just say, it's private what's said at the net, or other non specific things

To me, it's clear that Roger needs to feel he has the backing of the players.

Ivan's wife and Miroslava are friends and so Ivan's backing of Roger is part of that friendship. That's understandable.

El Legenda
06-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Why cant Ivan have an opinion? was he asked who he wants to win?

nobama
06-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't think any player rooting for Federer on Sunday has anything to do with their feelings towards Nadal. It's not about Nadal. If the player opposite Federer was going for something so special like the career GS they'd probably be rooting for him too.

Scotso
06-10-2006, 12:03 AM
ok and?

PamV
06-10-2006, 12:23 AM
You can tell David is a nice guy and that he respects Roger and vice-versa.

Right I've always liked David.

eddie_hyden
06-10-2006, 04:18 AM

well ppl do whatever to make them win. in soccer you can have attacking teams, and teams that just emphasize defence. just watch the EPL. it's still soccer, it's still sport. that's what makes it interesting, the variety and how ppl evolve to try to achieve victory. anyway they win it, it's a still a win, art or not art.

Ruski
06-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Once again it shows that Roger Federer not just a great player, but a great person as well!

I remember (probably after the Wimbledon final) Andy Roddick has once made a comment something like he wishes he can hate Roger by defeating him so many times but he can't, coz' Roger is a very likeable person!!!

I bet you almost 99.99% of the current ATP players would like to see Roger to lift up that French Open trophy on Sunday...... Probably except Carlos Moya!!!

Go Roger!!!! You've got all the support!! You can do it!!! :bounce:

Deivid23
06-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Sorry to interrumpt this party, Iīm sure Nalbandian wished him good luck and he might have told him he hopes he wins the final (polite comments after the match imo), but I really donīt think Nalbandian will be rooting for Roger tomorrow, honestly.

*looking forward to some hysterical reactions*

Allez
06-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Sorry to interrumpt this party, Iīm sure Nalbandian wished him good luck and he might have told him he hopes he wins the final (polite comments after the match imo), but I really donīt think Nalbandian will be rooting for Roger tomorrow, honestly.

Everyone except yourself, Moya and Lopez will be rooting for Rogi tomorrow. Won't make a darn difference in the match, but there you go. :D

mandoura
06-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Agree :)..........and nicely put :lol: ..........I know, for me, it's this achievement I'd like to see for Roger........otherwise, I wouldn't have a problem with Nadal winning.........anyway, Mandora has promised to hold me to my word that if Roger wins RG this year, I'll support Rafa winning the next 3 French Opens :lol: :lol:

I am confirming that. ;) :D

And I agree with CB as usual. And she had to mention The Beatles :inlove: , so how can I not to?

Anyway, I also want Roger to win really bad because it will free me from supporting him in every single match against Rafa who is also one of my favourites. :)

mandoura
06-10-2006, 07:07 AM

:devil: :smash: :bolt: :bs: :crazy: :explode: :shout: :toothy: :hysteric: :boxing: :timebomb:

There, you got it. :lol:

Seriously, I think you're right about the polite comment. Yet, I don't think anyone rooting for Roger is necessarily hating Rafa.

:secret: In Rome, I didn't mind Rafa winning to get his record. ;)

admiralpye
06-10-2006, 07:12 AM
I also think if Roger doesn't win it this year, he may have an even more difficult time making a complete NCGS next year (maybe even never). So for Roger, it's now or never, especially since he is not so young anymore in terms of tennis years.

Rafa, on the other hand, has many years left to do this.

I think that's why people are rooting for Fed to win this.

Good luck to Federer.

However, I'm rooting for Rafa. :)

admiralpye
06-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Also, it doesn't matter who wishes who good luck. The final match will come down to who will be the better player tomorrow (physically, mentally). Rafa and Roger can get billions of good luck wishes, but those wishes won't help them one bit when they're out on the court.

Deivid23
06-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Seriously, I think you're right about the polite comment. Yet, I don't think anyone rooting for Roger is necessarily hating Rafa.

Nah, but I think Nalbandian gets along quite well with Nadal, so I donīt see him cheering for Roger tomorrow, just that.

mandoura
06-10-2006, 07:26 AM
I am not defending Ivan but there is a big difference between this:

http://2006.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2006-06-09/200606091149877428341.html

Q. Do you have an opinion about what may happen in the final on Sunday, and do you care who wins?
IVAN LJUBICIC: Well, I would love to see Roger win it. I think everybody will because it would be nice. He is the best player probably ever in tennis and it would be, I think, nice to see him lifting the trophy here.

and this (posted on another thread without a link) :

And today, on the BBC: "I would love to see Roger winning," he said. "Everyone in the locker room would."

In the first quote, it's clear Ivan is stating his opinion and his thoughts. The second quote unfairly shows a presumptuous Ivan.

hitchhiker
06-10-2006, 03:07 PM
In the first quote, it's clear Ivan is stating his opinion and his thoughts. The second quote unfairly shows a presumptuous Ivan.

if this is what all the fuss is about then i dont know why the nadal fans are calling the fedtards hysterical

mandoura
06-10-2006, 03:28 PM
if this is what all the fuss is about then i dont know why the nadal fans are calling the fedtards hysterical

Unfortunately, that's my understanding.

Art&Soul
06-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Once again it shows that Roger Federer not just a great player, but a great person as well!

I remember (probably after the Wimbledon final) Andy Roddick has once made a comment something like he wishes he can hate Roger by defeating him so many times but he can't, coz' Roger is a very likeable person!!!

I bet you almost 99.99% of the current ATP players would like to see Roger to lift up that French Open trophy on Sunday...... Probably except Carlos Moya!!!

Go Roger!!!! You've got all the support!! You can do it!!! :bounce:

Agree :) GOOOOOOOOOOOO ROGER, all are here for you to win this title :woohoo:

soraya
06-11-2006, 06:25 AM
E=mandoura]

There, you got it. :lol:

Yes. Including Ivan...

from rafa's blog

' I can also say that I was forwarded a message by Ljubicic. It was nice to receive it. The message said something like 'Don't get me wrong. I would like Federer to win because I have a closer friendship with him, but that's it.'

iloveupeterpan
06-11-2006, 06:52 AM
I love u David!
You're such a nice guy! :hearts::hearts:
and so is Ivan :hearts::hearts:

Neverstopfightin
06-11-2006, 07:39 AM
It seems even Nadal would like Roger to win but we gotta tinge :p : " I understand there are people who want Roger to win the Grand Slam , in fact if he didn't play against me i would be rooting for him " ;)

Link in spanish : http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/tenis/roland_garros/es/desarrollo/658271.html

Regarding what David has said I think you guys are taking comments out of context.
David was only being courteous , it was just the habitual courtesy between two polite players . I’m quite sure that if Nadal and David met in the hotel after the semis Nalbandian wished Nadal the best luck and told him he hopes him to win the French Open.

Don’t forget Rafa and David are friends and their relationship is much closer than David and Roger , so it isn’t necessary to think too much to know who David wants to win Roland Garros .

Who says Nalbandian would prefer Roger to win is just manipulating the truth using a comment out of context.

Guybrush
06-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Ivan seems to really like Federer! :)

Like EVERYONE that loves beautiful tennis! :yeah:

Go Rogi, WIN IT today! :worship: